NATION

PASSWORD

The 83rd Cup of Harmony — Roster/RP/Scores Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Soldera
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 29, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Soldera » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:52 am

When the World Cup 91 cycle began and Larry Carricker reluctantly assumed the reins of the Solderan national football team, he was adamant that this would be his lone cycle as manager.

He was 58 years old when World Cup qualifying began. He felt managing a football team was a young person's game. The rigors of training sessions, lineup decisions, substitutions, and the like wore on him. The chance to be able to live a life more in his terms appealed to him. He recalled going into his son's room looking for homework typical of a third grader and instead seeing organic chemistry, particle physics and advanced composition textbooks and realizing how much of life he'd missed in the grind of football.

The decision to walk away was the right one. There was no amount of convincing anyone could have attempted that would get him to think otherwise. Being a sexagenarian manager of a football team was not something he wanted. He turned down multiple interview offers, even the ones that were a mere formality because various football associations wanted at least a show of another candidate. He was walking away and that was that.

On the surface, his final-ever match as manager of Soldera certainly didn't look the part of a match that might have convinced him to change his mind about retirement. Soldera were facing a 48th ranked HUElavia side with everything to play for. For starters, the Snakes controlled their own destiny. If they won the match against Los Armarillos, they would qualify for the knockout rounds of a major tournament for the first time since the Baptism of Fire one cycle earlier. For another, it would continue the ascension of Soldera from the depths of a country looking to establish its football program into one that could at least potentially contend for a berth in the proper.

However, when the final whistle sounded, HUElavia pulled off a comeback for the ages with striker Raul Nascimento Jardim netting both of his goals in the five-plus minutes of second half stoppage time, dealing Soldera a heartbreaking 3-2 defeat that sent the Snakes packing. Soldera drew first blood through captain Greg Irvine after he pinched up from his defensive midfielder position when he saw an opening in the HUElavian midfield. Los Armarillos goalkeeper Lucas Lettmann punched out a dangerous bid from striker Cayden Barkley, but the ball caromed to Irvine, who volleyed it without looking, or even thinking about where the ball was going. When he saw Los Armarillos supporters in the stands put their hands on their heads and Snakes fans jumping and cheering, he realized he'd just noted the goal to give Soldera an important-seeming 1-0 lead.

That warm feeling chilled quickly, however, as Irvine slipped and watched the veteran striker Ringo Honda easily run past and put a shot with pace on it that Snakes keeper George Rollings couldn't get to in time. In the 57th minute, the Snakes were level with HUElavia at 1-1 as visions of both teams sweating out the Group C table dancing in both teams' heads. Carricker would decide to make one substitution, sending the hulking striker Jordan Knox on for Marcus Peters in the hopes of getting some bulk and size on the front line. Lisa Allyson would take advantage of the height advantage by using Knox to screen Lettman and she fired a shot that seemingly gave Soldera all the momentum. They led it 2-1 with stoppage time looming.

Carricker felt he didn't need to make a substitution since Knox also made a critical defensive play in the 79th minute that thwarted a HUElavian attack. That decision would backfire in the second minute of stoppage as Nascimento drew the match level, drawing groans from the Solderan stands and visions of how to explain the two lost points in Carricker's mind. However, Nascimento wasn't done. His tally in the fifth minute of stoppage time, this one taking advantage of a devastated Irvine, helped snatch defeat and a potentially well-earned draw from the jaws of victory. It gave HUElavia the position as group runners up, not Soldera. It sent Los Armarillos through to the Round of 32. And it would end Carricker's career.

During the presser, Carricker would talk about lost opportunities, both to end the match in regulation and to keep HUElavia from stealing away all three points. He'd talk about the frustration of blowing a one-goal lead. He'd talk about losing points to teams ranked lower, even though the Snakes also had victories over more highly regarded sides. However, none of that played into his mind as he sat, staring at the floor in front of him in the coaches' locker room.

It's over, he thought. {i]It's really over[/i]. No more lineups. No more training sessions. He smiled for a moment. No more bullshit from Normie, as he knew little brother and national team technical director Norm Carricker was now fully responsible for the machinations of the national team. But Larry Carricker's smile faded away when he thought about the other things that would no longer be part of his life's journey.

The camaraderie with the assistants, both when he was one of them under Norm and when he was the one calling the shots. The rapport with the players. The feeling after signature victories like the 3-0 win in Branwyn over Drawkland. Like the 1-1 draw with Audioslavia that kept the Slaves in the chains of the Cup of Harmony. There were good things about walking away from an exhausting career in football, but there were also drawbacks.

What was worse than the sting of losing this match to HUElavia in THIS way? The finality of it all. The fact that after this loss, there would be no more matches to prepare for. Larry Carricker would go onto a life of relative ease as a colour commentator for Solderan Elite League matches. He would be able to do that gig a few times a week and still see his family. At least his family by blood.

HIs football family would be a different matter as some of his players would be scattered among the SEL teams and he'd only see a handful at any one time. He'd no longer be able to look at all of his "sons, daughters and children," so to speak at once. And that was worse than any loss for Lawrence Carricker.
Third Place, World Baseball Classic 53
Fourth place, NS World Cup of Masters IV
Quarterfinalists, Aussie Rules World Cup

Mertagne
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 24, 2013

Postby Mertagne » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:31 pm

Cup of Harmony 83: And I asked myself, how did I get here?
Kristie Ettrick reviews her latest project, which isn't just standing with Ázëwyn Fëanáro - for The Advocate

With the curtain having just fallen on what has been a stellar Cup of Harmony Group Stage here on home shores, Mertagne are comfortably confirmed to make it through to the Round of 32, taking 14 points from six games, and remaining undefeated across the entire group stage. Mine and Fëanáro's side of 33 plucky players have all managed to shine in this tournament, making the most of the so-called "Group of Life" afforded to us in Mertagne on account of hosting the most prestigious half of the tournament, while Tumbra has graciously penned off half of the sides who are positively rabid to get to play against us. Threats in Krytenia and Darmen have been dispatched in holding them to draws, and solid victories have been ensconced on all other matchdays, certainly helped in part by the fervour and revelry of the home fans, who have let loose a bit more than normal due to being in familiar territory.

But how exactly did we get there? In this article exclusively for The Advocate, I'll be detailing our group stage games, and revealing some famous insight on just exactly how Mertagne have pulled off one of their strongest group stage campaigns since re-entering the world stage roughly a decade ago.

Krytenia 0–0 Mertagne
Matchday One kicked off at Crater Field with a dreary yet satisfying game against Krytenia. I was reminded of two things upon arriving at Crater Field. The first is that, without offending anyone in Claviers, it's a bit of a dump. I heard someone rated it Four Stars out of Five, but just because some fancy nightclub's put a taqueria on the roof, doesn't mean it deserves rave reviews. The second was that we've played neighbours Krytenia three times in our history, and we managed to smash out a win twice, most recently in the group stage of the previous CAFA, which saw us go on to be knocked out in the group stage. In hindsight, I see this could be a bad omen, so it's probably for the best that we added a draw to the statistic of scorelines in a 0-0 match that saw both sides butt heads, and myself do a lot of shouting from the sidelines to gee our players up the pitch quickly after successfully crumbling a Krytenian attack. Ázëwyn was a big fan of this game, and I believe it's because it's hardwired in the Starblaydi psyche to get one over on a Krytenian whenever you see one. More so if you're an elf. I didn't pay much attention in Ancient history class, but I think the Krytenians must have done something to seriously piss of the elves once. It might have been stealing fire or something.
Rami Niblick summed up the efforts of both sides very well in his article for the Cy'Un - "post-football with a pre-football mentality". I was grinning from ear to ear when the media team presented me with that one, as recently the Mertagnian side has been branded on the whole as a bit of a dullard, with Fëanáro at the helm pulling on its matted caveman hair like that film with the raccoon that knows how to cook. Niblick seems to have taken a stance, in my opinion, that 'post-football' isn't all it's cracked up to be, and I agree with him (or me, because it's my interpretation). You need only look at Audioslavia for a case as to why "Six in the middle" is only going to get you so far, and ultimately get the same result we got against a good team like Krytenia, against teams that ultimately should be speed-humps for the Bulls.

Mertagne 5–3 Eshialand
The match against Eshialand was a blur in my eyes. At Crater Field once again, and coming off a bye in which Eshialand had dispatched Krytenia 2-0, I was actually a bit nervous facing off against them. I was even more nervous when they slapped two past us in the first fifteen minutes, and Ázëwyn shot me a look that was two parts "What the *$%@" and three parts "Watch what I'm about to do". To her credit, she didn't do what I suggested, which was to slip some players back and shore up what was looking like a strong Eshialand attack. Instead, she kept up the pressure, clearly knowing that their strong showing at the start was coming at a cost. And it did come at a cost for them - the stamina of key players faltered a bit too early in the match, and by half-time we'd equalised. The second half saw us actually switch to a more attacking config, as the door for opening and possibly cementing a lead presented itself. This did lead to the Eshialand team taking advantage of a fairly loose back line and scoring one more past le Besco, but ultimately we were able to return to the top of the table after our bye.

Xanneria 0–1 Mertagne
The game against Eshialand would be our last taste of the loftily-numbered scorelines we're used to in Mertagne until the final Matchday. Team morale was fairly high, mainly by virtue of being able to nip back and see the loved ones within a single night, and this game against Xanneria at Dannin City was an incredible one to be a part of. The crowd was very intense, with a variety of home and away fans alike out to support their team. I was particularly enamoured by a banner that some fans had managed to sneak into the stadium, which simply said "Get on the grass and bring home the brass... We <3 Hattrick Ettrick". I often joke in interviews that I would happily be the 12th pitch-ward player if I could, and one day all of our forwards will get horrifically injured and there'll be one person they all turn to... but sadly my personal fantasies weren't realised in this match, which was decided by a single goal as we brought Fostin Feu out to try and shake up the attritive situation that had built up on the pitch. Feu's quite good at being a bit of a wall-breaker when required, even though he isn't a striker - he just has a knack at disrupting the opposing midfield in the right way that our folks can slip past and pose a threat in the attacking third. He calls it 'constructive interference'. I think that other players just find him a bit nuts.

Mertagne 1–1 Darmen
The Spectrum Stadium is actually my least favourite stadium in all of Mertagne, and once I find out exactly who at the FMF decided to put it in my path, I'll probably give them a swift kick in the shins and make them watch all the glaring lights as I get them in a headlock. It's an assault on the senses, and with all the drones flying around, you can't really hear yourself think. Especially as when you are trying to get a moment to yourself, some drone is whizzing up to you to get a shot of you picking your nose in concentration. Not that that's ever happened to me, but it's only a matter of time.
Our tactics against Darmen were simple: Focus fire on Hyman Campo and Craig Blackwood. Even though they're the older members of the squad, they've been around the block a million times, and if they feel overwhelmed, it'll throw the rest of the squad off their rhythm. Now, this did actually work for the first half of the match, and we even managed to smack a goal past Campo an into the back of the net, but it seems that we were a bit brazen in our play, as Campo and Blackwood were subbed out towards the middle of the second half. Younger talent, surprisingly, were less put off by us, and cooler heads prevailed when a rather contemptuous penalty resulted in Kennard Hale pitting the ball in the back of our net to equalise. As if that wasn't bad enough, the bloody light show they had for Darmeni goals emitted some kind of horrible pulse laser right where I was stood looking sulky at Neron Everdell for letting this penalty happen in the first place. My sulk wasn't as disarming as it usually was in that moment, as I was squinting while being blinded. Everdell probably thought I was winking at him seductively and asking him out on a date. Luckily for me, he never said anything of it, and we sadly walked away from the Spectrum Stadium with one point instead of the three that I felt we quite rightly deserved.

Ochre Islands 0–1 Mertagne
This stint was also at the Spectrum, but here we had a much better time as we were against region mates and former CAFA champions the Ochre Islands. I love the Ochre Islands, and I've been there on holiday once or twice. It's a brilliant place, from the breath-taking mountain views, through the brilliant island with nothing but cats on, skirting past the Isla del Fuego, and down to the lovely capital city of Bellflower, where there's always something going on and it's always rather nice.

The thing that was going on here, sadly not in the Ochre Islands, was football, and the cold night in Dannin was a far cry from the lovely beaches of the Ochres. I'd worn a parka that evening, and annoyingly that story got picked up in some gutter-rubbish fashion magazine, where I apparently looked 'frumpy' compared to Fëanáro. For the record, I probably was grumpy and frumpy, and furthermore anyone will 'look' frumpy when compared to an elf. I was particularly peeved on that night because Number had scored a goal that was disallowed for being offside after a video review, and while she was offside, it was genuinely by such a thin margin, I'm sure on another, warmer night, the goal would have been allowed.

We went out with pointy elbows in this game, as we thought we could build up an early lead on the Ochres and cruise a little in the latter part of the game. A new 3-3-4 was, not improvised, but hashed out on the back of a napkin or six a few days before the game began, and I genuinely thought it worked well for a bit, but after the goal disallowance, the Ochres seemed to have us sussed out and most of our attacking plays didn't get anywhere, no matter how much I was running up and down the pitch windmilling my arms about, which is my usual sign that the team isn't quite pushing up as much as they could be.

Our saviour in this match came in the form of Heather Gell. I'm going to use this time to tell you that I love Heather Gell. It's a deep, respectful love, much like you love someone that cooks you a nice meal week in, week out (I wanted to give a shout out to one of my favourite restaurants in Neorudo here, but the editor of this article thought it wouldn't sit right. I'll show them). But, Gell knows exactly how to strap in, put all of her woes behind her, and commit entirely to the match at hand. If you annoy her, she'll act like a professional, and then the minute the match is over you'll get eviscerated. I've seen it happen. I've been on the receiving end.

Heather was our saviour in the form of an excellent goal that came just at the start of the second half, after a brilliant long ball got pushed up from the wings and crossed neatly towards the Ochre box. Leora Softstep over-extended just a touch, and that was all Gell needed to strike the ball past her, and pad out a victory. After that, we made the call to just keep our lead throughout the second half, focusing on a possession based game instead of the sharp counter-attacking we're used to. It was an effective strategy, and we took the lion's share of possession against Richard Valens' Ochre Squad. The Ochre Islands, like us, have looked to other Bekkside nations for some management expertise, and just to be different, they've found solace in Richard Valens, who has had a tumultuous start a bit like Fëanáro had when she first took charge of the Mertagnian team. However, like Fëanáro, Valens has had the backing of his folks at the OIFA, and should weather out the storm until he can really sink his teeth into the Ochres and shape them into a squad that can steal a bigger piece of the pie the next time around.

Mertagne 4-3 Cardenao
I actually had the pleasure of meeting Scooter McNash while Cardenao's Baptism of Fire was kicking off in Mertagne. He's a nice guy, and apparently we're cut from the same cloth, as he was a striker in his younger days. We talked about the finer points of Cardonian football, as well as bonding over a mutual stress of coaching a team that is just making its first foray into international football (or, in our case, returning from a massive break, which is mostly the same uphill struggle). Seeing him spur on the Cardenao team was like looking into a mirror that shows you your past. I loved the energy that he gave to the match, and the revelry he truly shared with his squad when Cardenao found themselves 3-0 up at the end of the first half. Our defence had truly capitulated to the Blue and Golds in that half, and our half-time talk was terse, to say the least. Even though we were already through, our performance in this game could have meant the difference between facing a team we had a strong chance of beating, or facing a team where the odds were stacked a little bit more against us. Furthermore, we had a reputation to craft. We played host to Cardenao in the Baptism of Fire, and while it would be an amazing success story for them to get one over on us on our turf, it would also be a possible death knell for whichever players on the team (or management staff - ack) would have been responsible for it. We decided to ditch hope on whatever defence we had waffling about and move on outscoring them, and luckily had a rocket of a second half with four amazing goals, two of which were scored from some absolutely textbook corners.

What awaits us next...
Next up we face Cabo Azure, in a match that everyone on the squad, myself included, will be looking to fight their hardest in to prove to the nay-sayers that we deserve to be here. Our Cup of Harmony track record has been less than stellar on foreign soil, with a crash out in the group stage last cycle to a hungry Saviliagne team on a continued rise and a Yuezhou side that put the goals in where it counted, namely against Saterun. The face of Mertagne this cycle round is one that has certainly learned from its mistakes, and had grown alongside the mentorship of myself and Fëanáro. I'm often discarded by the media a bit when compared to Fëanáro, as she's got a couple of centuries up on me when it comes to experience, and her general level of fame across the sporting multiverse leaves me slightly off camera, or blocked by a graphic, like the green guy in that film with the monsters that work at the factory. I find that's actually a good thing, as Ázëwyn can take the more high-level media interactions, which she excels at, and I can be a bit more rough-and-ready with both the team and the press. It's been a potent combination, and I feel that this Mertagne squad is truly on the cusp of some brilliant things in WCC competition and beyond. I look forward to seeing plenty of fans in the Origas Arena and beyond as this World Cup Cycle chunters ever closer to its exciting conclusion. Just don't leave me behind!
Last edited by Mertagne on Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
user pronouns: he/him

The Nation of Mertagne - World Wonder Wizard!
Capital: Dannin ⨳ Trigram: MRT ⨳ Demonym: Mertagnian ⨳ Map: Here!Anything Else: Here!
combined a jet engine with fireworksANAIA NATIONAuthor of NS Issue #1508

Ceni
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:58 pm

Terranean Broadcasting Company

Cup of Harmony: Cenian fans celebrate victory over Wreckeria and progression to knockout rounds

By Elsa Volante
TBC Sport in Ostosaide, Mertagne
The small Cenian contingent at the Ring Tank Stadium in Ostosaide, Mertagne erupted into cheers when aging Cenian football star Andrew Arrowsword tapped in a tiebreaking goal in the last minute to earn a full three points against Wreckeria and proceed to the Round of 32 in the 83rd Cup of Harmony.

The Cenians had needed a draw to advance and hopefully a win would earn them a more favorable spot in the draw for the elimination round. Unfortunately, though, other results did not go Ceni's way and the Tir Snakes finished fourth in a tightly competitive Group G. Nonetheless, the few Cenian fans who had made the trek to Anaia celebrated with local brews, although they certainly did not rival the passion shown at concerts of local band Thunderhorse or come anywhere close to damaging the famous aquarium that gave the stadium its name.

With bated breath, then, supporters in orange and red waited to find out whether they would remain in Mertagne or schlep to the other side of the world to travel to their next match in Tumbra. Unfortunately, it proved to be the latter option as tournament organizers announced that Ceni would play Chromatika in Hesham, on the eastern tip of the country.

The diehard Cenian fans in Mertagne celebrated nonetheless even as they hurriedly made arrangements to travel to Esportiva on short notice.

"We're just so excited to see football in Ceni return," said Xena Daivand, who came from Southpoint with her two daughters. "I personally can't stand tennis so I've just launched into a pit of despair with so many years without football. And to come roaring back on the international stage... well, we're just beside ourselves!" As if on cue, the two Daivand daughters showed up besides their mother to accentuate her point.

"I'm just so worried about figuring out if Tumbra will let me in," complained Renee Dara-Syko. "This VisitTumbra.com page claims that I need a visa, yet I thought that Cenian nationals didn't need a visa to go to Tumbra? And then I see on twii.tur that you can get a visa on arrival, but you need exact payment of 60 Tumbran Dollars in crisp bills..."

When asked about the football, Dara-Syko waved me off. "Let me find the Tumbran embassy website somewhere... Man, the Internet here in Mertagne sucks!"

But other fans paid no heed to the logistical difficulties, instead choosing to chomp down on fresh pìzzâpìzzâ after getting the munchies. "GO CENIIIIIIIIII," yelled Max Elnes, a salesman from Whitehaven, when I asked him about his thoughts on Ceni's advancement.

Elnes' companions had more clearheaded responses.

Finn Daragh said that he had no expectations for Ceni moving on. "Chromatika is the fifth seeded team in this tournament, ranked number twenty-four in the world," he said. "We're the third-to-last team, ranked number 128. We're just happy to make the knockout rounds, especially after such a long hiatus from any play whatsoever."

Fellow Whitehaven resident Val Killian — who sported a relic Andrew Arrowsword jersey — appeared somewhat more sanguine. "I mean, we did beat Mercedini, and Mercedini also looked exactly like Chromatika on paper," he said. "Plus, if we had switched groups with Chromatika, Ceni would have been in first place!"

But Elnes had the last word on things, yelling a common saying among the diehard fans: "Tir Snake Stronk!"

Ceni will have to be very "stronk" to beat Chromatika in a few days' time — but win or lose, a number of fans will happily be there to cheer them on.
THE REPUBLIC OF CENI (the user behind this nation uses he/him/his pronouns)
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
Champions: Di Bradini Cup 38, U-18 World Cup 17
Runners-up: Di Bradini Cup 39, Di Bradini Cup 41
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
UICA Champions' Cup titles (1): 1860 Azoth
World Cup 76, World Cup 79
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
International Basketball Championships 20
Cenian Open (Grand Slam) 1-8
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Tikariot
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tikariot » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:24 pm

Ian Mountjoy: Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to "TPL Insider Edition" here on Tikariot Sports TV, I'm Ian Mountjoy--

Vicky Tjuresholm: --and I'm Vicky Tjuresholm. As the transfer window of the Tikariot Premier League has closed, it is time for the first part of our traditional TPL Transfer Roundup, where we have a look around the league and see who the biggest movers and shakers are.

Ian Mountjoy: Let's go alphabetically, which means that we will start out with one of the biggest surprise package of the last season: Ancarea FC. After sensationally qualifying for the IFCF, it is not a big surprise that there hasn't been a lot of movement within the team that had made this very unlikely achievement, with Nepharan right back Tosca Cordyn the only player from the starting eleven to leave the club. Her spot has been taken over by 20 year old Tikariotian Leah Robbins, coming from close regional rival Eivora Athletic, who is seen by many as one of the rising defensive stars in the country and, being 13 years younger than Cordyn, definitely is seen as an investment into the future. With some other players, such as Starblaydi centre back Jean-Carlo Fiske, likely to retire at the end of this coming season and IFCF monies flowing into the club, we can likely expect a maybe somewhat bigger splash next off-season as the only other two signings are in the reserves area with goal keeper Kingsley Romanoff coming in from the Emerald Coast Raiders and Cadiacran left midfielder Cristofor Vãduva joining from second-division Zhelmagor Society.

Vicky Tjuresholm: The Avanaroch White Wings have also left their mark on last season, with a thunderous and soaring start, before puttering out towards the end and they, too, made one change to their proposed starting line-up. Samuel Montgomery will be teaming up with Alan Castanheira upfront, making the intra-Paladonian move from Miruan, pushing Mertagnian Branoc Letemendia to the bench, whose sophomore season in the TPL proved to be a far cry from the promise he had shown in Oriannor originally. Just like the Hogs, the White Wings also augmented their bench with two players, with Quebecois goal keeper Emmanuel Tangganga putting pressure on Elliot Carducci and Imani Martin-Moreau bolstering the striker corps, dueling with Amelie Santorreau for the second spot on the bench.

Ian Mountjoy: Moving a little west into the Emerald Coast, the Carathyr Emeralds see a complete central midfield shake-up after both Audun Myrdal and Seguinus Tesserant de Linge decided to leave the club, while also losing back-up Oddný Árgilsdóttir. They are taking advantage of the ill fortunes of the Ysgrann Bay Eagles' relegation to the Tikariot Second League, picking up not just two, but three of their midfielders in Steinkoguran/Tikariotian double national Þorgríma Ástþórsdóttir and Licentian Marsaili MacClure as well as Norrish veteran Rasmus Sparre as back-up, thus not only rejuvenating their midfield, but also ensuring that the incoming players already have experience playing together.

Vicky Tjuresholm: Next up we have newly promoted Crimsonhawke FC and they are trying a completely different approach to most promoted sides by bringing back young and exciting talent from their academy that had originally moved abroad, with none less than four previous talents returning for starting positions this season. Christina Pogosyan joins from Ysgrann Bay, Kathleen Chamberlain from the Emerald Coast and the Spiteri siblings Johanna and Kevin moving back from Tikariot City and Xanark respectively, while Squornshelan Tuulikki Aldana coming from Parakleion, Giovanna Savligliardi from Dhun Lagarr and young Quebecois goalkeeper talent Veronique Alarie join them in one of the youngest starting eleven of the league. The only two other inbound players that are not coming from their own academy are Mytanar Velibor Kačavenda, who is jumping ship from relegated Bul Khungur Miners and young Hapiloppian talent Avery Shaw.

Ian Mountjoy: After a true rollercoaster ride, the Bulls of Dhun Lagarr FC are one of the teams with the biggest turnover in their starting line-up, with four players joining their ranks. Looking at who left the club first, national team centre back Caleb McKinley joined Tikariot City FC, while in midfield Squidroidian veteran Yoneda Toshikuni has ridden into the sunset and both Édgar Cortés and Martin Bartoš also have opted for a fresh start elsewhere, with the latter joining Lublova Reds of the Squornshelan Remnant States. The hole in defense is being filled by Zeta Rekan Lukas Skaaland, coming in from VZRH Matov-Uri, while the only "survivor" in midfield, Inna Parshikova, is now joined by Savigliana Stella Boisbouvier and Juven veterans Michelangelo Santini and Júlien Cantù, who all are bringing tons of experience with them with a total of 439 TPL games, so while this move also raises the average age of the brains of the operation, this could be just the steadying move the team needs after some rather rough waters in the past two seasons.

Vicky Tjuresholm: Moving south into Eivora, the Griffins are placing their trust into the same eleven players that had been at their core last season, despite underperforming as a collective, but instead have opted to rearrange their second line to put a lot more pressure onto the starters, especially upfront, where Iain Aspinall coming in from Ysgrann Bay and Patrick Edgren, who is returning to the TPL from second-tier Anhedron Wanderers are expected to challenge Angus Guinness and Calliope Montevecchi for their starting spots.

Ian Mountjoy: Another team whose season did most definitely not go as planned were the Guillarim Blades and they opted for internal switches to their starting section after the departures of goal keeper Colt Skirving to VZRH Matov-Uri in Zeta Reka and Rylan Abbott by promoting Nathan Klingbeil and Celso Madrigal, while Marvin Thorniley will now provide back-up power after moving in from Port Rhovanyon.

Vicky Tjuresholm: The Kyethas Rivermen also have had a fairly quiet transfer window, with only Delaclav midfielder Aleksandr Temirkanov announcing his surprise departure from the club, but they quickly found a very suitable replacement in national team left midfielder Jean-Jacques Vaniere coming in from the relegated Bul Khungur Miners. The only other two signings in the off-season are Kimi-Suomen Simo Talvela and Kimi Airo.

Ian Mountjoy: Another severely underperforming team last season was Miruan City, but Lions management continues its very measured approach of "evolution, not revolution". The only starter actually leaving the club is Savojar striker Niina Kivisto, who never quite arrived in Miruan and did definitely not gel well with Gary Conway, and her replacement is one of the most exciting young talent that Tikariot has to offer in the striker department with Annika Nurmsalu joining from Bul Khungur after scoring 20 goals in only 50 appearances over the last two seasons. San Ortelian midfielder Giacomo Favaro is also moving to the bench as Huayramarcan Thiago Sepúlveda, who had originally been signed during the last season to replace long-term-injured Alfonso Mazarin, will take over her role in central midfield. Two other potentially significant signings are first in line to push into the starting line-up, if any of the regular starters slip up or get injured with former Raiders Eyande Payeta-Urrutia and Adhémar Desreaulx bolstering the second line.

Vicky Tjuresholm: And to finish off part one of the roundup, the second promoted team, Morannon Athletic, are going down a quite different route than Crimsonhawke, opting for a far more wholesale approach to team building, with only one player of the promoted starters still with a spot and the rest taking on more the roles as subs, likely also due to the very young average age of the squad last season, with veteran goalie Gord Feron and young right midfielder Eachann Ó Maoilsheachlainn being the only survivors. So here it's likely easier to go by field position, starting in the defense, where the back four now are young Chromatik Jenowefa Krzyżanowsk, Licentian Toby Ferguson, Gouvanarchais Alanig Quiviger and Clement McIlroy, while Omerican veteran Fearchar Mac Cléirich, Kuraitan talent Lauris Indrašis and Georges-André Drouin-Lacroix will try to provide the brains of the operations in the middle. Upfront Tristan Nancarrow is taking a step back into the second line, making way for Addison Gray returning from his spell in Eura, who will try to provide enough firepower to keep the team in the TPL alongside a second Kuraitan signing, the star of their national team, Jonas Adomaitis.

Ian Mountjoy: You can see that it is very interesting how different clubs' plans were during the transfer windows and there will be far more coming up in part two, covering everybody else from Oriannor to Xanark, with the real blockbuster moves still coming up. But these will be have to wait until next week, until then stay safe!
Tikariot - Rushmore - Trigramme: TKT
Sporting achievements:
Football: Ro16 (and group winner) WC87 | Winner - IFC 1 | Quarter final - BoF 73 | 3rd in group WCQ86
Baseball: Winner - International Baseball Slam XI | Round of 16 - World Baseball Classic 49/50/51
Hosting: IBS XII, Copa Rushmori 36, WBC 51, World Cup 89
NS Sports Miniflags

Acastanha
Envoy

Founded: Jun 19, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Acastanha » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:21 am

Into The Knockout

Acastanha passed the crucial match against Srednjaci to qualify to the knockout stage of Cup of Harmony. Even though with a lot of pressure pressed to the team, they have proof themselves that they are capable. The 4-1 win placed them in the third place of Group G. Having the same points with Tikariot and Ceni which is the second and fourth finishers, they are only differentiated with their goal. Throughout the group stage, Acastanha scored the most goal with 17 but they were conceded 15 goal, tied with Srednjaci as the most conceded team. This fact shown how vulnerable the teams defense despite having a great attacker.

Interviewed during the team's practice, Garbano stated that he would likely to change the starters. He pointed out that the younger players will be put forward. The decision although seems to be a great one but criticize by the sports fans. Some of them noted that the plan is too late. And they thought that the team would finished better if Garbano use younger players right from the start. And even though they don't like Garbano's late decision but the fans still support their team and hope for them to advance further.

Their next opponent in Round 32 is Milchama. The team finished second in their respective group, Group D. Behind Eura who win the group with a convincing 13 points against Milchama's 9 points. The match will be held in Hardcastle, Mertagne. And as usual, ArraSport will be the fans main broadcaster to watch the match right from their home.

The official lineup of Acastanha v Milchama
Released by Acastanha officials
Main
GK : Santiago Karba (31/Sporting Arrachai)
LB : Manuel Savalor (26/Sporting Arrachai)
CB : David Erunde (26/Sporting Arrachai)
CB : Lucas Bravindo (24/SC. Tabeira)
RB : Graciano Papal (23/Khaba Athletic)
LM : Lisandro Turtapa (28/Sporting Arrachai)
CM : Plinio Adondare (22/Athletic Praia de Sal)
CM : Dado Malekke (22/Athletic Praia de Sal)
RM : David Gothrado (26/Siasari)
AT : Felix Kalchankar (25/Sporting Arrachai)
ST : David Yushankar (24/Sporting Arrachai)
Acastanha Federation

Trigram : ACS | Demonym Acastanhada
Capital : Amarelda
IC Population : 11,471,480 (latest census)

Puppet of Pemecutan

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:05 am

Mertagnian Half - Round of 32 Cutoff

Mertagne 3–2 Cabo Azure

Milchama 4–2 Acastanha

Savojarna 3–0 Valentine Z

Starblaydia 3–0 Pluvia and the Saxean Isles

Eura 1–0 Krytenia

HUElavia 1–4 Delte

Oberour Ar Moro 2–2 Yuezhou (3–2 AET)

Darmen 0–0 Poafmersia (0–0 AET) (4–3 pen.)

Round of 16 Matchups

Mertagne vs Milchama
@ The Scabbard, Bretsaar, Freskovia (48,700)

Savojarna vs Starblaydia
@ Nine Star Arch, Webster, The Forkelands (66,500)

Eura vs Delte
@ Spectrum Stadium, Dannin, Dannmarsh (37,000)

Oberour Ar Moro vs Darmen
@ Ring Tank Stadium, Ostosaide, Besny (54,000)

The next cutoff window will open about 48 hours from this post.
Last edited by Tumbra on Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

Mertagne
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Mertagne » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:07 am

Tumbran Half - Round of 32 Scores

Cassadaigua 3–0 Ranoria

Kelssek 1–2 Sarzonia

Chromatika 2–2 Ceni (3–3 AET) (4–3 pen.)

Sendhang 1–1 Ochre Islands (1–1 AET) (1–3 pen.)

The Cordian Isles 1–0 Eraman

Audioslavia 5–0 TJUN-ia

Juvencus 3–3 Kuraita (4–6 AET)

Tikariot 2–2 Bollonich (2–3 AET)

Round of 16 Matchups

Cassadaigua vs Sarzonia
@ Lakewood City Arena, Lakewood, Severn (58,000)

Chromatika vs Ochre Islands
@ Clark City Arena, Clark, Finnley (63,000)

The Cordian Isles vs Audioslavia
@ Bencoolen City Stadium, Bencoolen, Bencoolen (55,000)

Kuraita vs Bollonich
@ Columbus Field, Columbia, Alexandria (49,000)
Last edited by Mertagne on Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Capital: Dannin ⨳ Trigram: MRT ⨳ Demonym: Mertagnian ⨳ Map: Here!Anything Else: Here!

Eura
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Eura » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:07 am

CUP OF HARMONY 83 GROUP D – MATCHDAY 6
Electrum 1-1 Eura
Scorers:
Bowman 37, Sherwood s/o 84
Lineup:
30. M Key
4. J Menard
25. Q Phillips
15. K Sherwood
6. S Erskine (sub Brown 60)
16. O Vincent
22. O James (sub Mason 90)
20. R Marshall
18. D Bowman (sub Almwood 85)
17. A Sharp
26. T Vivier

CUP OF HARMONY 83 – ROUND OF 32
Eura 1–0 Krytenia
Scorers:
Atkinson 77
Lineup:
1. E Palmer
2. A Mason
4. J Menard
15. K Sherwood
5. T Green
3. L Almwood
24. J Gates (sub Vincent 65)
8. V Robshaw
7. M Woakes (sub Coffey 82)
10. C Atkinson
9. S Robson (sub Vivier 74)

‘Did you believe her?’
‘Yes. She’s a good egg, the Ambassador. Regardless of what the papers say.’ The Minister for Rushmore, Tyra Addleton, shuffled uncomfortably as she spoke in the centuries old chair she’d been given. Parts of Blackhall took no prisoners on those with bad posture. She glanced down at one of the newspapers she was referring to, the Harther Courier tabloid, and its headline from that morning:
“BLOOD-SOAKED DAGAN DEVIL HAULED IN FOR BASTION GRILLING”. It was accompanied by an unflattering picture of Ambassador Chastan entering the Foreign Ministry in bad lighting and with a frown on her face.
‘…but, she has her orders. Add in a bit of ideological myopia, appointment loyalty and a healthy dose of denial, she probably genuinely doesn’t believe her country is doing anything too objectionable.’
Hmmm.’ Foreign Secretary Chadwick was intrigued. Maybe this could be exploited?
‘Send her a comforting note about the headlines, and how much we respect her on a personal level. She might be worth a tapping-up attempt.’

‘And otherwise?’
‘Otherwise, we reject this. A mild change of leadership in one military unit and an operational pause is completely inadequate. The Ministry of Defence tells me they’ve got more satellite and signals monitoring suggesting a build-up of further troops on the border, anywhere between 40,000 and 60,000. Either they’re worried about further resistance, need some henchmen for more war crimes, or…or they know we’ve got people in there. Suspect at least. And now they’re going to go door to door looking for them. In your letter to the Ambassador, express your personal and private gratitude to her, but make it clear that the operation is illegitimate and nothing short of a withdrawal will do.’
‘Sanctions then?’
‘Yes, though not right away, we need to buy some time. We need to talk to our allies. The Nepharans will be chomping at the bit to piss off a monarchy. Astograth will fall in line given their stance on the succession. The Mytanijans will see the echoes of Natella. Lots of options present themselves here, that’s what I’m saying.’
‘Pasarga?’
‘No. No, at the moment there are bigger issues there, and we don’t want to add complications. Keep them separate.’

‘Ok. I’ll get on to Economic Affairs but- hold on.’
‘What?’
‘You said about buying more time. Why?’
Chadwick answered her junior minister with great care not to say too much. ‘There’s a number of options on the table and some of them might be scrubbed if the Dagans cement control completely. If we can stall their current activities for longer before negotiations inevitably fall through, then it might not be a bad thing. Brianna has done a favour as well by reviving her challenge to the crown – Cassie isn’t going to be able to direct operations while she’s fighting for her domestic survival.’
Once Chadwick had left, she made a call to the Ticker about these mysterious other options, and had a long think about that last point.
If Eura could help along Cassadaigua in ridding itself of a bloodthirsty expansionist monarch, was that such a bad thing? And if that happened to allow a slow creeping path to democracy to emerge, was that not a good thing? And if all this cost was a bit more bloodshed, was she willing to consider something altogether more risky?
Yes she was.

Somewhere in the Euran zone of occupation in Nyowani Kitara, in a region where the Euran military was starting to draw down from its peacekeeping role but still covertly conducting special operations against potential enemies, Adam Kane wiped dried blood off his hands as if it were routine by now. Which it was.
Kane was intimidating figure even when he wasn’t scrubbing away another human being’s liquid interior from his calloused, killer’s hands. He was six foot and five inches, in his forties but with no middle-aged bulge whatsoever, indeed he was more of a block of muscle than a man. He had long ago reduced his hairline to a short cut blonde tussle. Three prominent scars adorned him; one long slice along the top of his head, a pock mark dug out of him dangerously close to the trapezius, and a shrapnel splash across the left side of his head and cheek. Were it not for the marks of twenty years of fighting he might have been very attractive.
It was a miracle he wasn’t dead despite the best efforts of his various enemies. Kane liked to take an old maxim to heart; “the object of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the other bastard die for his”. He had it tattooed on him somewhere more discreet, below a variety of other screeds, and had put it there after his first year in the Euran Army. That career took him across the world from Sameba to Mareibat, Nyowani Kitara, Farfadillis and a number of other undisclosed locations that theoretically were not in any kind of conflict at all. Until Kane kicked the door down that is.

Kane left the army four years ago as a Captain in the elite 3rd Air Assault Regiment, the most widely respected airborne unit in the Army. Briefly, Kane had considered civilian life.
He tried it.
He hated it. So, back to the battlefield.
He withdrew his armed forces pension early and flew back to Sameba looking for the fight. Soon he fell in with several ex-Euran military operators and they formed a private military company, Phalanx. Early success in security training work in the now former Sameba led quickly to lucrative work elsewhere and, before he knew it, the Kane and co. venture had hundreds of “employees” operating in six different international locations. It had almost been seven recently when a wealthy Pasargan politician had requested help with an “internal security matter”. Kane would have done it, but he had one rule; don’t cross the Euran state. Therefore, when the Army sent around a notice to private military contractors warning them off any imminent work concerning Pasarga, he put two and two together and rejected the request.

Job number seven would soon emerge anyway, in a very different place.
His phone rang on the table in front of him. The prisoner in front of him that he had been beating – sorry, “questioning” - spat blood as he reached for it, covering his arm. ‘Fuck you!’
Kane picked up a crowbar and swung it as it were a paperweight without a word in reply. The prisoner went limp on the floor with an unsettling squelch as the metal tool struck home. He then answered the call as if nothing had happened. ‘This is Adam Kane. Who am I speaking to?’
‘Mr Kane, this is Colonel Parven. We spoke last week about your potential jaunt to Peynol. I hope you understand-’
‘Don’t worry, we won’t take the contract. Nothing for you to worry about.’
‘Good, good! There’s another thing though. Are you free to speak?’
He looked down at the floor at the (probably) still alive prisoner. The Euran government did not condone torture and its forces were rarely accused of such acts, but Kane was not on the Federal payroll anymore, and Phalanx didn’t care what he did to get results. He didn’t even know what faction this captured individual belonged to, only that some local businessman or drug dealer had decided they needed teaching a lesson.

Obviously, he wasn’t going to speak about any of that with an Army officer of all people. ‘Its fine, I can talk.’ He tied up the unconscious prisoner and left the room, getting to a safe distance before continuing the conversation. ‘Ok, what is it?’
‘I have business for you.’
‘Cool. Speak to corporate and lodge a request.’
‘No, can’t do that. Its, uh, sensitive.’
‘Oh yeah?’ Kane didn’t like to think too hard normally. Live life as it comes and all that.
But this was intriguing him off the bat. His instincts were flaring. Then he said yes, and within a day he was in northern Eura again, somewhere near Samebus in a dusty warehouse. There he met two soldiers and two spooks, one of whom was some geriatric. He didn’t like the latter guy. Something was off about him, and if Kane of all people thought you might be dodgy, then you probably were.
It was the old man who chose to speak to him as his colleague flipped a switch. This turned on the lighting for the massive warehouse, revealing rows and rows of helicopters, old Sameban military gear captured at the end of the war.
‘Mr Kane, do the Phalanx Company Ltd. have any combat pilots in their ranks?’
‘Uh, yeah. Plenty.’
‘Good. We don’t want you to fight. We want you to supply and train as part of an operation that cannot exist, will always be denied, and for which you will be paid only in ways that can never be traced. Tell me, have you heard of something called the Cooper River region?’
Last edited by Eura on Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
United Federation of Eura - Sporting achievements
Champions: WC66, WC73, CR23, CR27, CR34, CoH 85, Market Cup I, Next Generation Trophy, Gold Medal (Mens Football) Olympics IX
Runner up: WC60, WC72, WC78, CR16, CR20, CR32, CR44, CoH51, COH79
Host: CR24, CR37, BoF60, CR Under 21's and Under 17's

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:39 am

Before the current World Cup cycle, it had been a while since the Sarzonian national football team faced Cassadaigua's in a match that counted.

After Sarzonia defeated Kelssek 2-1 in the Cup of Harmony's opening Round of 32 and the top seeded Fillies defeated Ranoria 3-0, the teams will face off against each other for the fourth time this cycle.

Just a few minutes after manager Brady Reynolds was congratulated for his fifth win from seven matches as the new bench boss from the Stars, he was asked about preparing for yet another match against the Dagans.

"It's rather unusual, I'll give you that," Reynolds said of the fact the teams were now going to face each other yet again. "I guess I won't need to look at video quite as much as I might otherwise have had to." Turning serious, Reynolds said the fact the Fillies were the top overall seeds meant the Stars couldn't afford to let up on their focus.

"They earned the top overall seed in the knockouts for a reason," Reynolds said. "They're a strong side, as evidenced by their KPB ranking. They also played to peak form to win six matches from seven." The only loss the Fillies suffered thus far in the Cup of Harmony was to Sarzonia during the group stage. The Stars defeated the Fillies in Woodstock in the first meeting of World Cup qualifying before Cassadaigua returned the favour with a 7-3 curbstomping. The Stars earned a measure of revenge with a 3-2 win on Matchday 5 in the Cup of Harmony. As for the fourth meeting between the Navy and Silver and the Pink and Black, midfielder Clayton Wilson said there would be few mysteries between the teams.

"They know us, we know them," he said. "I'm sure they've seen every potential wrinkle we could throw at them." Wilson also said the intimidation factor of facing the top seeds in the Round of 16 was non-existent.

"That might be a factor if we hadn't already faced them three times," he said. "They're going to be tough because they're a very good team, but it's not like we're playing The Holy Empire."
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:20 pm

KELSSEK'S SPORTS LEADER

Kelssek advances despite being snuffed out of final group match

It ended up not mattering in the big scheme of things but Seamus Wylten’s agonizing missed penalty in another losing, lacklustre team performance is a sour note. It means Kelssek heads into the Cup of Harmony knockouts with fans not really knowing what to expect.

Finishing second with three wins and three losses maybe shows that this was a tough group. Savojarna finished top with two wins out of six. In fact, both will face ostensibly weaker opponents who placed lower in their groups but have better win records.

Wylten finished second in Valanora’s top scorer race and this was the quality Jorge Guardia presumably wanted to make the most of, knowing their opponents have been among the stoutest defences in the tournament. Kelssek had been set up to set up Wylten, with the more full-spectrum qualities of Loïc Maçon-Petrault seeing the Directus forward being played in a deeper role.

Kelssek still struggled to break through, and a defensive lapse resulted in them going behind after 26 minutes, putting more pressure onto the attacking players as they were forced to chase the game while Savojarna could sit back and work on snuffing out any chances.

Serious threat was rare and it was one of these moments when Gabriel Lapierre managed to thread a ball through the stubbornly compact opponents that Colm Ó Tuathail was clattered in the box, giving Wylten the chance to score from the spot and level the scores. The Hondo FC striker hit it with power and pace and clanked it off the post.

There were still over 15 minutes to go, but it was like a blanket had been thrown on the team and they went from failing to get through to barely even trying as Savojarna had them stymied.

“You’re just a s*** reverse retro Savojarna”, was an audible taunt as the Kelssek players trudged off the field at full time, and it wasn’t entirely clear which set of supporters it was coming from. They can only hope for something better against Sarzonia, as the sense of Jorge Guardia's lame duck status builds.

KELSSEK 0
Gallagher, Buené, Lozic, Marshall, Douglass, Lapierre (dí Volärá 75'), Lafrenière, Ó Tuathail (Hartpoach 85'), Taleb, Wylten, Maçon-Petrault (Maradrogba 79')
SAVOJARNA 1 - Ehlers (26')
New Brazier, Scharfwick (attn. 25,994)

SARZONIA 2 - Hennepin (50'), Wilson (60')
KELSSEK 1 - dí Volärá (54')
Gallagher, Buené, Halliger, Lozic, Douglass, dí Volärá, Lapierre (Lafrenière 81'), Hartpoach (Docherty 76'), Ó Tuathail, Maçon-Petrault, Taleb (Wylten 72')
Oceanside Park, Marray (attn. 43,421)
Last edited by Kelssek on Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Milchama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Milchama » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:45 pm

Alexandria Times-Tribune-Sun-Moon-Sky-Picayune-Courier-Post-Pre-Forward-Current-Reader

Sports Section

Milchama Advance to Octos

The meme1 turned out to be false! Milchama rolled over Acastanha in a 4-2 victory. The Acastanhanians were thoroughly outplayed from the opening whistle as the Warriors put 2 goals in the first 15 minutes.2 From there it was basically all over but the shouting. The Arrows attempted to shoot but the good shields of the Warriors stopped them from going further.

This was one of those games where it was really all about one team just being better than the other team. The Arrows were not ready for the Milchamian all out attack and that played out in the first goal3. Wilson stopped an attack and passed it forward to Waver who sidestepped two Acastanhanians before finding a wide open Holden Flomes who simply trapped the ball and scored. 1-0 Milchama in the 5th minute.4

In the 14th minute it got worse for the Arrows as a 13 pass move was finished off by a sublime Marc K. Floren strike to make it 2-0 Milchama with both center forwards on the score sheet. While the Warriors are not normally a passing friendly team5 this group has shown some real growth in the CoH in terms of possession numbers and you can see it pay off in games like this.6

The rest of the first half was played mostly in the Acastanhanian half as the Warriors attempted to take their superiority into more goals but the Arrows backline held firm. In particular, David Erunde7 was incredible making 11 tackles alone in the first half. Of course, that the centerback needed to do that much cleaning up showed how much the Warriors were dominating and it was clear the Arrows were relieved to go into the half down only 2-0.

After the half time break the Arrows looked like a much more composed team8. Swapping out the inexperienced, and possibly overwhelmed, Plinio Adondare for the more veteran Dado Malekke really did the trick as Acastanha started to attack the Milchama a lot more. They even managed to put one in when Malekke found a ball over the top to Felix Kalchankar who ran behind the defense to make it 2-1 Milchama.

Suddenly, the Warriors were in trouble for the first time all match and it was not to last long as Milchama would score to retake a 2 goal lead just 3 minutes later. Maris was fouled just outside the 18 and Waver put up a beauty of a free kick9 that Karba had no chance of saving. 3-1 to Milchama and the rally was snuffed out.

Whatever fight left in the game was absolutely snuffed out in the 76th minute when the Warriors would get their 4th goal10. An all sub goal was Tiam Hottonen managed to pick off a pass in the attacking third before finding Colm Interlasskoti who was able to show his finishing ability so well regarded in the Alexandrian League to make it 4-1 to Milchama and basically finishing the game11.

The Arrows would pull one back in 2nd half stoppage time for a 4-2 scoreline12 but the game ended in a nice 4-2 Warriors victory as Milchama moves onto octofinals and continues what has been a decent, if not spectacular, Cup of Harmony campaign. Come on You Warriors! Let's Go Milchama!13

Milchama 4 (Flomes 5, Floren 14, Waver 62, Interlasskoti 76)
Acastanha 2 (Kalchankar 59, Brandas 90+2)

1. The meme is referring to this picture: Image. The fact that this picture keeps on getting referenced over and over is clearly a problem on the part of the creator who is way to proud of himself for what's really a relatively simple observation and operation. Like it's not that cool bro.

2. So back in my day the Warriors were much better. Like I understand that right now we're rebuilding after the Isolation but so were the Milchama of the 20s and those teams were some of the best teams. Look at someone like Dunston Copperlee. Copperlee was a midfield maestro who could easily manipulate the field and created all sorts of chances for the strikers. Now all our midfielders are essentially defensive in nature. Look at someone like Leetal Fenet, like she's fine as a player but does she pop up to score goals? Not really, does she orchestrate the offense? Not really. Her job is to clean up messes and it leaves the creative types to be forwards. The 3-3-4 is played better when the forwards are battering rams and the central midfielders are maestros. This new way that Lamerain plays the team doesn't work like the Golden Days. Could we even have a Kenny Rintell today? Nevermind a Jonny Rintell? God the world's gotten so much worse. Take me back to the Golden Days!

3. So this my last column for the Alexandria Times-Tribune-Sun-Moon-Sky-Picayune-Courier-Post-Pre-Forward-Current-Reader. They're laying off massive parts of the sports section. This is crazy because there is a reporter shortage and also legacy papers are clearly missing good writers. Also, the sports section is the only part of the newspaper that still makes money. Like firing me makes no sense so doing it is just weird. Anyway, if you need a sports writer please let me know as I'm looking for new jobs. I am willing to move and I'd even go to a foreign country if necessary though I'd like to stay in Milchama if I can. You can find my name on the article and email me.

4. This type of stuff would never have happened with Gonnenberg in charge! Tim Gonnenberg was the greatest leader Milchama ever had! His moves to take us from economic stagnation into an economic powerhouse were nothing short of miraculous and legendary. Milchama is one of the best countries to live in because of Tim Gonnenberg! I can't believe he was toppled, z"l.

5. This is ridiculous apologia for a corrupt leader who moved Milchama into a more isolationist mode for so long that we became literally isolated. The great Isolation was nothing more than a corrupt powerplay from a ruler who knew he couldn't keep power while the population could compare ourselves to other nations. Gonnenberg also tried to centralize power too much and kept on canceling elections because he knew he would lose.

6. No, he canceled elections because the last one led to a debilitating civil war that he knew couldn't be repeated. He ceded the power when he knew the country was stable enough for change. He also definitely didn't centralize power. Milchama is a Left Wing Utopia today because of his moves to decentralize power and create more anarchist structures in place to give the populace more direct say in how they're governed. The Isolation was a mistake, granted, but even with that stain on his record the move for economic progress, the decentralization of the state, and the stability that came after the Civil War all put him as a great leader.

7. "Should we summon Margaret?"

"It's been bad luck for the whole CoH so far"

"Really?"

"Yeah the last time we did it the Warriors lost"

"Oh dear"

"Yeah I think it works better in baseball"

"That's weird, I would not have expected that"

"Me neither but something weird happens in these weird post-AO regions"

"Ah, ok"

"So that's why the lack of Margaret"

"Basically"

8. Well this RP has gotten weird. Like what is going on? Is this a match report? Is this a conversation? What is going on?
Well it's a metafictional RP which refracts in on itself to show the inherent absurdity of the enterprise. RPing is just another form of specific fiction and it's important to understand that fictional universe. Even though many of Milchama's RPs lean on the 4th wall for comfort to deconstruct both the form of RPing as well as the form of newspaper articles and match reports is particularly important as they are too much relied on in this form of RPing. That and there was a good comment on Stereogum a few weeks ago about metafiction and it gave me a good idea for what to do for this post and now I'm actually said idea. Is it a good idea? It's an interesting idea and that's what matters really at the end of the day.

9. This new micro not-even-a-genre of heart on sleeve something between pop punk and Revival Era Emo is great! The leading band, of course, is the Wonder Years and their new album looks really good. I'm very excited to listen to it when it comes out. Beyond that, the new Pup album is one of the best of the year, Spanish Love Songs put out a classic in Brave Face Everyone, and the new Joyce Manor is a back to basics blast. I know Brave Faces Everyone is from two years ago but I just really got into it in the past 2 weeks so that's what I'm commenting on. The rest are from (or will be, the Wonder Years album comes in September) 2022 albums.

I think, in general, people have overrated the music this year. There have been some good albums but, so far, 2020 and 2021 had deeper benches. We're in June and I only have 7 albums that could end up in my "Albums of the Year" list. It's usually a little bit more at this point, we'll see what happens, but the cream of the crop of albums just hasn't been as good. Sure Big Thief put out an incredible album and Soul Glo's album will be a scene classic for a long time but besides that the albums have been somewhat disappoint (Oso Oso) or have some question marks (Pinegrove) where they don't quite cohere into full statements. There is still a lot of music out there, and many of it pretty good, but it's just not the same as 2020/2021.

Karakorum Forum-Democracy-Times-Tribune-Sun-Stars-Gods-Men-Tribute-Fightin'-Picayune-Post-Gazette-Chronicle-Eclipsor-Ellipsor-Report-Spin-Connector-Deflector-News-Today-Yesterday-And-Tomorrow

Sports Section

A waaaaaaaaaaay too early WBC Preview

There is absolutely no reason for us to have a preview this early. Nevermind the group stage, we don't know who will sign up or not. For example, Sarzonia's controversial withdrawal from the last WBC ended up changing the long term prospects of several teams. So even guessing at this point is very dumb but we're dumb so we'll do it anyways.

Right now Milchama is ranked 9th which would put as either a low first seed in a group or a high second seed. The real issue with this rank is that we no longer have a blank WBC to move forward so the days of easily climbing the ladder are probably over. The good news for the Warriors is that most nations are bad at baseball and so Milchama should be in a good position to capitalize on most nations being pretty bad. The only issue, of course, right now is what will happen to the Warriors in elimination rounds. After a great 4th place performance in WBC 53, Milchama disappointed with an octofinals loss. We need to do better next time in order to really move forward.

This article could go into more depth but considering that it's a literal footnote of a soccer article we'll end here with the worthless platitudes.

11. "So what do you think about Anaia?"

"I still don't understand why they did it"

"Yeah, we've been back a whole year and it still doesn't make any sense"

"Maybe it was because the pandemic made them do it"

"Remember there's supposed to be no mention of the pandemic in the CoH"

"Different pandemic"

"Ok good"

"I wouldn't worry about it"

"Ok that's good to know"

"Glad to hear it because I was getting worried"

"We should just basically root for Milchama then"

"Yep, pretty much"

"Cool, alright then carry on"

12. Why were there two conversations in the middle? What is going on here? Why are there footnotes in a newspaper article? What does this mean? Is there such a thing as too much metafiction? What is the point of fiction? Does RPing help fill the void? What is the void? Will there be answers to any of these questions? No there will not be. Thank you for asking.

Also, I got a job at the Karakorum Forum-Democracy-Times-Tribune-Sun-Stars-Gods-Men-Tribute-Fightin'-Picayune-Post-Gazette-Chronicle-Eclipsor-Ellipsor-Report-Spin-Connector-Deflector-News-Today-Yesterday-And-Tomorrow. Woo hoo move to Mongolia!

13. Come on You Warriors! Let's Go Milchama!
Milchama Sports achievements:
World Baseball Classic 23 Champion!
Note: The demonym is Milchamian. There are two of the letter "I(i)" and not one.

3x CoH winner (29, 46, 50) 3x WBC winner (4,5,23), 1x World Cup host (32) Various other minor trophies there's a football club trophy, a kleptochase trophy, Other minor international football trophies.

Delte
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2022
Anarchy

CoH-83 R32

Postby Delte » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:06 pm

HUElavia 1–4 Delte
Player-Reporter Kim Samrodd in Claviers, Mertagne for Toddwardine Beastmarket Journal & News of the World

I won't dwell overly long on the finer details of this match, but certainly mention should be made of Coach Clentin's powers of rotation as he declared before the match this would certainly be our last hurrah, and therefore it was only fair that some of the chaps who had spent most of the trip on the bench should get a run out. And what happened?! Ustan Galtona played ahead of yours truly out wide on the left, and if I say so myself, we formed a strong understanding right from the off and club rivalries be damned: me being an Oswark Town man myself, and Ustan turning out for United. I even got my first goal for the Representatives thanks to his one-two-three-four during one attacking phase. Meanwhile there were rare starts for Ard Shyntaugh on the right and Athsay Kinney at the back, but we all felt a little sorry for Darra Cankal who ended up following the expecetd schedule of the team and going home at the end of the group stage, since he was recalled in his capacity as a Civil Defense Corps volunteer to deal with some sort of domestic emergency thus missing his chance for a start in a very surprising victory. Meanwhile the rest of us continue on our unexpected adventure, wondering if we are ever coming home. The Tasher brothers have already expressed they are more than happy to keep flogging along, being young and curious about the world, whilst Coach Clentin is getting decidedly snippy - I think he is missing the green of the valley.

Ready Player 10: Darra Cankal
Vignettes of The Representatives

Centrehalf, age 39, for North Pacific FC; customs agent - No-one was more surprised than Darra when his pager went off whilst on tour in Tumbra and Mertagne. The Civil Defense Corps’ volunteer paging system had recalled him from his job to attend an emergency meeting at the Assembly Room in Deltemouth - operators had clearly forgotten he wasn’t at his usual place of work but 10,000 miles away on a plane midflight from Marray in Tumbra to Claviers, Mertagne. Everyone was impressed with the range - in distance and altitude - of the emergency pager system. Once they had landed, Darra called home from the airport to explain he was on duty with The Representatives, currently in the Outer AO region, but was told in no uncertain terms that an emergency page was an emergency page, and it was his sworn duty as a Civil Defence volunteer to make haste to the Assembly Room without further delay. His specific skills as a customs agent, working border entries at the port, was very much required, said the administrator at the other end of the line. It was the start of the greatest influx of people into the Delte valley for 175 years when the industrial revolution was getting up a head of steam - The Rushmori Boat People had arrived. How they had ended up in Smite Bay in a ragged convoy of battered junkboats was anyone’s guess, said the administrator - that will be your job to find out when you get here; how long will you be? - asked the administrator. It was a long way from Mertagne in Outer AO to The North Pacific, explained Darra, and would probably mean about 56 hours of plane rides and stopovers. The administrator suggested he best get on with it then, since the poor boat people would need landing ashore soon with their junks half sunk in the bay, and them starving hungry and traumatised from whatever invasive hell they were running from. Plus they speak Sicoutiçaise, said the administrator, and it says here you’re the only volunteer in the valley with a facility for Gallic languages.
Last edited by Delte on Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
HOW GREEN IS THE VALLEY
AND ALSO THE RIVER

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:55 am

Fort McKinley 1–3 Poafmersia
Goalscorers: Jordan Huerta 26' (assisted by Leontiy Seet), 60' (assisted by Magreta Rym); Mitchel Rosales 88' (assisted by Bjarnesen)
Poafmersia Lineup (4-3-3): Nicole Potts (c); Mitchel Rosales, Diamond Byan, Nacro Astro, Mac Rojas; Michael Jackson, Magreta Rym, Aapeli Shea; Janelle Frederick, Jordan Huerta, Leontiy Seet
Substitues: Tessa Bjarnesen (Janelle Frederick 70')

Darmen 0-0 Poafmersia (4-3 on penalties)
Goalscorers: Nil
Poafmersia Lineup (4-3-3): Nicole Potts (c); Mitchel Rosales, Diamond Byan, Nacro Astro, Mac Rojas; Michael Jackson, Magreta Rym, Aapeli Shea; Janelle Frederick, Jordan Huerta, Leontiy Seet
Substitues: Erle Sartini (Michael Jackson 89'), Lesia Astrauskas (Magreta Rym 99'), Agapito Murphy (Jordan Huerta 105')
IC Name: The People's Republic of Poafmersia (Trigram: PFA)
IC Flag: Refer to my flag with my IC nation Poafmersia, though that nation's RP will be done with this account.

IC posts in WA, unless otherwise stated, are made by David Jossiah Beckingham, Chairman of Poafmersia's World Assembly Board.
Sportswire. Chasing The Unknown.
Achievements: BoF 71 Bronze; IAC X and IAC XI Champions
WCC Football (Pre-WCQ93) - 40th, with 18.62, Style: +1.2345
OptaPoaf at work: https://bit.ly/m/OptaPoaf

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Audioslavia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:18 am

Board goes up. 9 and 19. A different feeling to this than last time. Very different. It's been the sort of game any striker wants to play in from the start. But here we are.

Julho walks towards the sideline, clapping and smiling at the crowd. Two goals, bringing his tally to three in two games. He's a nice lad but still, bastard. Each goal worse than the last, too. Four days ago, picking up the pieces after a spilled save from Delte's keeper, today in the first half, a cross from Patron punched away by David N'kude as far as the edge of the area, where Hwang Syong-ya goes to clear it but can only cannon the ball into the back of his team-mate, from where the ball loops over to Julho standing in what would have been a hilariously offside position. Julho takes a touch and passes it into the gap N'kude is desperately trying to narrow. Second half, the Bulls now 2-0 up thanks to Peter Ørberg catastrophically under-hitting a backpass that Olavi Kivela picks up and slots home, Julho hits a grass-cutter from twenty yards that somehow makes it under N'kude's body and bobbles into the net. Goal four should have been Julho getting his hat-trick via a gift of a penalty, but N'kude got to it and deflected the ball onto the post and Inigo Brandão gobbles up the rebound. Julho's been pulled off because he's tired, largely from running around screaming for the ball so he could get another chance at that hat-trick. He’d picked up a yellow card in the process, clattering into Ørberg very late while trying to press. RJ knew what was up and had immediately waggled her eyebrows at me.

RJ gives me a thump on the back to go with Dean’s more careful pat, and Julho gives me another sloppy fist-bump as he departs. I jog onto the park and up for a corner kick. This... this had better got onto my bloody head.

Hernán Mata-Curie whips a cross into an area nowhere near my bloody head. N'kude comes for it, but it's over his head. Von Krjke reacts to the ball coming to him unexpectedly by aiming a header at it but he can only succeed in deflecting the ball down pretty much to where my feet are. I let the ball deflect off my shins, not really knowing how else to control it without messing this chance up, and when the ball bobbles up I swing an awkward right foot at it. I slice it. It doesn't matter. The ball picks one of the few arcs that would get it into the goal from my foot without anyone touching it, and I celebrate like we've just won the World Cup. Let’s just pretend that, in a game of terrible goals, this one wasn’t the worst.

The match finishes at 5-0.

Everyone's acting like this is it, like we've become the team we were always supposed to be. They forget that TJUN-ia had the better of the first half, that they almost equalised twice early in the second half, and that their heads went down after conceding those second and third scrappy goals. The media have gushing over us like we were actually a good team. Maybe we are a good team? Maybe this was it? Maybe this was the start of the journey to the Grand Slam…

Man it’s easy to get carried away. And our next opponents, The Cordian Isles, might well relish any Audioslavian over-confidence going into the third round. After all, they got the better of a draw in the group stage, and afterwards their nation's media made sure to quote some of the more confident Audioslavian journalists’ pre-tournament predictions. Audioslavia would walk the group. Audioslavia would storm to the final. Audioslavia would meet one of the big guns there - a Eura, a Starblaydia, a Cassadaigua - and take home a first Cup of Harmony title and a rare Grand Slam. They’d gotten all those quotes thrown back in their faces as the Bulls languished in mid-table for much of the campaign, winning only twice in six games.

I’m not likely to be picked for this next knockout game. If you’re a manager, you can’t just remove the guy who’s scored three goals in a little over ninety minutes over two games. Three important goals, too, regardless of quality, not a scuffed tap-in as the fifth goal in a five-nothing win. RJ knows she might be out of a job soon, should the Bulls do anything other than win the entire tournament, and she needs to make decisions which are explainable to future employers, not just those that are good for the team. Have I proven that I, still barely out of my club’s youth team, can carry the national team on my back like Rijsbergen did? Like Kuznetsov did? Like Styrn did? Of course not. Like everyone keeps saying, my time will come. That phrase hasn’t gotten less annoying yet, regardless of whether it’s the management, senior players or the media throwing it at me.

Onwards, then. We'll see if we can make sense of this Cordian Isles team a second time.

TJUN-ia
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Boot It!: Over And Out

Postby TJUN-ia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:37 am

By Peter Davis

Julho Viscondessas, twice. Olavi Kivela. Inigo Brandão. Helios Roy.

What happened here was simple. We were outplayed in every conceivable way.

Audioslavia did what they needed to do...and that was that.

Maybe that run two years ago was simply a flash in the pan...

Maybe being here is our true calling after all...

Maybe we were never meant to taste those highs of two years prior...

Who knows...but it certainly feels like it.

Next time will see some new changes come into play...5 substitutes and 26-player squads. How that affects things will be interesting to see.

David N'kude, despite our best wishes, will retire from the Jags...as will Manu Kepelewako and Carlos Pique.

Our Galarian duo, Archer Andrews and Prince Carter, will carry on as our main scoring threats for now...but we'll see if they decide to hang it up in two years' time.

We will be back...but will we ever make it back to the WC again? GO JAGS!

SCHEDULE (Group C, all games in Tumbra)
MD1: vs Kuraita (124) - Bencoolen City Stadium, Bencoolen, Bencoolen W 2-1 (T-1st)
MD2: BYE (T-2nd)
MD3: vs Baggieland (106) - Bencoolen City Stadium, Bencoolen, Bencoolen D 3-3 (3rd)
MD4: vs HUElavia (48) - Columbus Field, Columbia, Alexandria D 0-0 (5th)
MD5: vs Soldera (76) - Fletcher Park, Kingsbury, Georgia L 2-5 (6th)
MD6: vs Astograth (66) - Fletcher Park, Kingsbury, Georgia W 3-2 (3rd)
MD7: vs Chromatika (24) - Columbus Field, Columbia, Alexandria D 1-1/2W-3D-1L/9pts/-1GD)
---------------------------------
Ro32: vs Audioslavia (8/#13/A2) - Trenton Park, Lakewood, Severn L 0-5
1st: ECC4/5, NSSCRA13, RLWC22, IBS20, EBT3, EIHT2
2nd: NSCF24/26, ARWC4, WC:TOTS, IBC34, IBS17, RUWC33/35, ECC6
3rd: ARWC3, IBC32, ECC3/7, ARWC6, ET20IV
NSSCRA - JR
T1: #07 Michael Stefan (S13 T1 Champ/9W)/#64 Alfonso Mercado (3W)/#03 Maddison Riley-Jones (S10 T2 Champ/2W-T1/3W-T2)
T2: #96 Alice Jepkosgei (3W)/#70 Gongming Gao [NCR] (5W)/#79 Axel Chase

WGPO: #11 Lane Carter (2W)/ #9 Batu Tüvshinbayar (WGP2 S5 Champion/1W)
NSTT: 4 S-Titles (3 RU)/2 D-Titles (6 RU)

UN - U1
TJUN (Ta-Jun) - An organ of the UN that focuses on "international role-play" (i.e. USA = Fang the Sniper) (U2)
TJUN-ia (Ta-Jun-ee-a) - The testing grounds of TJUN members, but operates as an independent nation. (U3)

Oberour Ar Moro
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 11, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Oberour Ar Moro » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:46 pm

The 63rd minute was the moment where the game almost ended.

Liu Huiying scored early to put Yuezhou up, and then Luo Dan had scored on a header after a corner to put them up 2-0. Oberour Ar Moro Manager Pereg Couvreeur had just made his first two substitutions after 58 minutes, swapping sweeper Peire de Baingneus for Joeva au Paus and striker Pius Petitmesnil for Peter des Bouz. Any keen observer of Oberour football can recognize swapping sweepers and strikers is the universal managerial sign for "I don't know why the offense isn't working and I'm getting desperate".

And then at the 63rd minute, Dragon Jiang Jieren had the ball and a single man to beat. He had collected the ball on a counterattack and charged his way down the sideline. If could work past Visant Bauldry he would have a one-on-one opportunity with goalkeeper Olliuier le Duc.

But if Jiang thought Bauldry would keep tracking back with him, forcing him to pick his moment, he was wrong. Bauldry struck with an audacious tackle. A sliding tackle that left the Dragon players and fans crying for a foul as Jiang went down as well. But no foul was given, and the unattended ball was picked up by a deep-lying Peterne de Courbueil. The midfielder then crossed the ball up to sweeper Sebastian Chapuisseur, who found the recently subbed on Joeva au Paus in space, who scored on a long-distance strike.

0-3 to 1-2 in an instant.

Eight minutes later, the Dragoons tied the match on a Peter des Bouz strike from just outside the box. The momentum had completely shifted. For the next twenty minutes, Oberour Ar Moro was on the attack.

Yuezhou had multiple games where they had 2-0 leads, including the second leg of the World Cup playoffs, and then lost. These losses clearly weighed on the minds of the Yuezhou players. After the game Peterne de Courbueil described watching his rivals on the pitch "deflate slowly like a balloon". When Iudicael Breut was fouled in the penalty area and des Bouz stepped up in the second minute of stoppage time, the calmly taken and solidly hit ball becoming the game-winning goal seemed like a forgone conclusion.

With the 3-2 victory, Oberour Ar Moro advanced to their first Cup of Harmony Group of 16. Staring them down is another Rushmore rival in Darmen. The Dragoons surely hope they won’t have to fall behind by two goals to play their best this time around.
_The Dominion of_Oberour Ar Moro_

Fort McKinley
Attaché

Founded: Jan 26, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Fort McKinley » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:30 pm

I did want to wrap up this story, so I insert here in between knockout rounds (congrats to all who made the knockouts and good luck to those who are still alive!)

The day of the match...

It would come down to the parts played by eight individuals as to whether the plan that had been nearly 2 years in the making succeeded; the four principals--David Guy Allen, Leslie Peter Gray, Kate Guy Allen and Jason John Davis--had secured the assistance of two employees of the hotel where the Ft McKinley team and the additional traveling party were staying: Patricia, a housekeeping maid, and Sebastian the Assistant Concierge and Bell Captain, who in turn had recruited their own flesh & blood--Patricia's 15 year old son Ross would be their contact outside of the stadium, and Sebastian's cousin Dominic would handle the transportation element.

While David was with the rest of the squad for the pre-match meal and meetings, Lee-lee, Kate and Jason prepared the two pieces of baggage that would carry all of the most important possessions the four had brought along. Lee-lee packed the shoulder bag ("the plum") that had all of the immediate necessities--the copies of their passport front pages, their ID, the burner phones, the cash on hand, a few toiletries--while Kate & Jason stuffed the smallest suitcase any of them had brought with a couple of changes of clothes and all of the personal effects they'd left home with.

All of the luggage for both the squad and the official supporters would be gathered to be loaded onto the coaches that would carry these people to the Cop Limy ahead of the team departure, but Sebastian would personally collect the two items from room 1821 of the Neorudo Plaza Hotel and place bright, lime green plastic bands on both, signifying that they were Concierge Level luggage, to be held at the desk for VIP guests.
When all of the rest of the baggage had been loaded ahead of the guests boarding the coaches--ostensibly at the 'check-out' time, which had been waived for the Mackies--and the team (in their own bus) and the others (in three others) departed, it was time for the Mertagnian phase.
Dominic & Ross were summoned to take the items in question to the central bus station Neorudo and place them in storage lockers (one for each); then Ross would wait outside the northeast corner of the stadium, where the four were going to emerge from close to the end of the match, and lead them through the back streets to a point where Dominic would transport them to the bus station, where they would retrieve 'the plum' and then continue to their next destination--the Consulate of the Kingdom of Quebec & Shinegoryeo, where they would declare that they wished to defect from Fort McKinley to that nation.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

The match went about as poorly for Fort McKinley as it could possibly turn out; with 13 minutes remaining they were behind 2-0, where a draw would've seen them through to the knockout stage. Dave had decided that he would ask to be subbed off if there was a clear result one way or another and that he would signal the others of his intention by feigning a cramp in his calf. He would then go straight to the dressing room, and if not accompanied by a physio would gather up his stuff and head for the tunnel exit at the previously mentioned northeast corner of the stadium.
Ross would be watching the gates there, and have a small sign saying "Plaza Hotel" which would normally be used by shuttle drivers at the airport.

Dave sat straight down on the pitch after a period of play in the offensive third and began to grab his right boot as if trying to work out a cramp, which resulted in the physios being called out. His first reply to them when they asked him if he's be ok was "No, I don't think I can." One of the pair looked at the bench and gave the signal that a change needed to be made, although Dave stood and limped off to the side of the pitch.

Kate nodded slowly and Lee stood up to make her way from her seat down the row where the three were sitting. They allowed her to get a bit of head start before casually making a similar move, so as not to raise the suspicion of anyone else.

David hobbled his way down the tunnel after telling the physio that he could manage ok, entering the empty room and walking straight to his locker; it took less than 2 minutes for him to shed his boots and kit, then another 90 seconds to shower, followed by another 2 minutes to throw on his slacks, shirt and shoes, grab his watch, wallet and jacket then exit the dressing room--and his international football career for Fort McKinley--for the final time.

There was no mad dash, no fleeing for their lives pursued by authorities; they moved quickly but not frantically. The hardest part was over, now they just needed to reach the safety of a place where they wouldn't be discovered. Dominic handed over the keys to the bus station lockers as they bundled themselves into the car for the short drive, finally arriving outside the building on a quiet street of terraced row houses with the brass sign attached next to the door proclaiming it to be (in English, French and Korean) "Consul General of the Royal Kingdom of Quebec & Shinegoryeo".

They rang the bell as a notice on the door instructed and were buzzed in within moments. A young man sitting at a desk in an alcove just to the right of the entry hall welcomed them warmly and asked what service he could be to the couples.

"I am David Guy Allen, citizen of the People's Republic of Fort McKinley, and I, with these others, wish to be granted asylum from political, economic and social persecution in our nation."

"Let me call someone who can assist you", said the worker, who'd never encountered something like this in his 20 months in the job.
Heavy handed puppet of Baker Park--no IC connection

Bollonich
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Bollonich » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:18 am

Liberal Loss in Tentonia, Left Coalition makes gains

All eyes have been on the state legislative assembly elections and gubernatorial elections being held in Vretonia and Tentonia, as these are crucial ahead of the General elections. The interesting outlook from these would be to see how far the Left Coalition has come in terms of competing for the Presidency and majority in the Legislature. Tentonia was already a fairly strong state in terms of Liberal support and based on previous elections. What gave the Socialists an actual fighting chance would be their coalition with the Greens and the Development Party who following their split with the Justice Party have managed to attract most centrists voters in polarised states such as Vretonia dominated by either left or right-wing parties such as United Bollonich, the Liberals, or the Socialists and Greens. This has always placed the Development Party in a comfortable spot to attract less politically inclined voters who do not possess an outright allegiance to any political organisation. Another variable which would make the elections interesting and tight would be the presence of the People’s Party which is in theory a populist party however follows a doctrine similar to that of the Development working to attract and win over centrist voters. This is ever more evident in their Tentonia Manifesto, published prior to the elections, which makes their intentions clear if they come to power, which would be to establish favourable policy for the middle class.

These circumstances set up a massively interesting election in the state of Tentonia and Vretonia with both political structures playing an immensely calculated tug of war for power. The Liberals retained their position at the very top of the Tentonian Legislative Assembly securing 77 seats, and despite a relatively successful campaign, they lost out on 8 seats compared to last time which just goes to show the level of dominance the Liberals had just four years prior as the Socialists were working through internal organisational issues. The People’s Party made strong leaps forward to capitalise on the Liberals losing out as they gained some seats establishing a gap between themselves and the Greens behind them who have been strong in Tentonia for two election cycles now. The People’s Party secured 51 seats in the Legislative Assembly putting them in a strong position of mediation between the two blocs of political power. The Greens also increased their seat count to 49 contributing the most to the Coalition with the Socialists making improvements however nowhere near to where they would want to be to compete for the leadership position in the state. The Development Party and United Bollonichmade losses in terms of their seats with the cause of this for the Development Party primarily being disdain over their alliance with the Socialists which their voters view as the Development Party moving towards the left. The Left Coalition overall managed to win 89 seats, nearly 12 more than the Liberals which would mean that both sides would have to depend on the support of the People’s Party on bills to pass them. This certainly spices up the political scenario in Tentonia as the People’s Party has been known usually to back the Liberals in terms of policy, however following Spence’s presidency and a visible shift by the Liberals farther towards the Right means that the People’s Party could find themselves aligned with the Left Coalition on multiple issues which would complicate the situation for the Liberals who shall be eager to regain their position of authority in the states ahead of the General Elections.

The Left Coalition was an unlikely combination from the perspective of the voters as members of the Development Party and the Greens had primarily supported fairly liberal economic policy with the focus of these parties primarily being on environmental and social issues. This meant that the voters of these parties did not expect to have been supporting the Socialists, the most vocal group in terms of leftist economic policy, which left these voters in a difficult predicament. This was further compounded by the Socialists trying their hardest to assert control over the Coalition even in states such as Tentonia where they did not bear major control in terms of the voters of the Coalition. This made the work for the Left Coalition representative Jade Abrams even harder as some of the Development and Green voters lent their support to the centrist People’s Party representative Verna Peyton. The Gubernatorial Race was made much more interesting due to such internal problems which meant that the Liberals were now competing against the People’s Party who were looking to gain that seat of Governor to further compound their control in the state. Another contributing factor to the momentum of the People’s Party was the fact that Peyton in the last Presidential Election was seen as the only possible alternative to Terry Spence. Her popularity from her Presidential run carried over as she made the best use of this position against the Liberals. All these contributing factors working in favour of the People’s Party allowed them to pull off what was a shocking Gubernatorial Victory in Tentonia to give the People’s Party relatively complete control of the State. What they do with this power however remains to be seen as it could be greatly influential in the further progression of the party on the political scale.

Last edited by Bollonich on Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meh

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:03 am

Torres Relieved of Duty, and other news,
By Kelsey LeClair, Concord Heights Times, Current Events

Late last evening, it was publicly announced that Hannah Torres, who was in charge of the 34th Regiment that has been active in the Cooper River, and the one responsible for the actions in Gastineau, has been relieved of duty. She will be replaced by Kate Porter, a general from the 25th Regiment that is stationed in Starksville. This was something that was in the works over the last few days or maybe even longer, but it had not been made public as of yet. Porter joined the troop where they have temporarily halted operations on the outskirts of a village known as C22. It is expected that operations will continue. More on that in a bit.

Hannah Torres is a 32-year old out of North Granby, and has served in the military for eleven years. She was highly respected for her tactical knowledge and firm nature in dealing with people and any situations that come to light. However, any respect that she may have earned over that time has been thrown out the window, in terms of perception, based on what happened in Gastineau. It was declared that Torres will face disciplinary actions and will be ordered to appear in court (not to be confused with the Royal Court) in the very near future. Most people, even those who support the mission in the Northern Territory, were shocked by the images that were first posted on the internet by Euran sources but quickly made their way around the international newswire, including here in the Concord Heights Times. It was reported by Torres that pirates engaged in a sneak attack wearing civilian clothing, though even if that were the case, some of the scenes we have seen are still unacceptable for our nation. It is not known yet what charges Torres will face, but it may as serious as multiple charges of murder. No one else in the 34th Regiment has been relieved of duty, but it is possible that can change as well.

Kate Porter is 34 years old, and also began serving in the military when she was 21. She has served in the Starksville area, and was known there for her humanitarian and charitable ways within the community. At the same time, she exhibited the no nonsense qualities that is needed in a general. While she has never served in a combat role, it is believed that she will adapt quickly. Porter has met up with the troop near C22, where operations are expected to resume soon, although we imagine there will be a couple days for her to get to know those soldiers she now works with.

Meanwhile, the independent investigators that have been sent to the Northern Territory have released their preliminary findings. This is what they reported:

1) There have been no signs that there were any equivalent massacres in any other villages as was seen in Gastineau.

2) In speaking with some people who chose to become Cassadagan citizens, there were inconsistent responses based on how the soldiers acted when they knocked on the door. Some reported that the people they spoke too were friendly and understanding and took the time to speak with them about the mission, and what to expect. Others say they immediately felt intimidated and forced to decide that they would stay or else they would have to lose everything. The conclusion to be drawn here, we believe, is that the personality of the individual soldier had everything to do with this inconsistency.

There were some instances of conversations with people that acted surprised that their neighbors or friends did not choose to remain Cassadagans, and they did not feel as though those people were given enough time to make a decision. We believe this is an area that things should improve. Homes that formerly had residents now sit vacant, but it was interesting to note that in most communities, peacekeeping troops are protecting these vacant homes from potential looters for the possibility that people could return to retrieve their belongings. Not sure how realistic that is, but it is worth noting.

3) In regards to the village of Gastineau, many residents of nearby communities said that they never went to that village, because it was different. However, it seems as though the reasoning for this was a language barrier, as French was the language spoken within Gastineau. So, the reason for people not to travel there should not be interpreted as people from that community being criminals, but because they simply spoke another language.

4) The village of Gastineau was in ruins, so it was hard to make many conclusions about the quality of life that happened there. That said, it appeared as though this was a more financially well off community than others we have seen. That can be raise two questions, the first being were they simply more educated? Or were they indeed pirates, or family and friends of pirates that attained their wealth through illegal activities? The latter could make the claim of Hannah Torres very logical.

That was the statement of the investigators, who will continue to operate in the Northern Territory.

Meanwhile, the Royal Court has subpoenaed the following people to speak before them over the next couple days: Queen Cassie II, Princess Cassie III, Princess Caitlyn, Princess Brianna, and Princess Chelsea. People all throughout the country and throughout the world will be interested in finding out what happens here, but the Court also said that the media will not be permitted within the courtroom itself. I can’t remember a time that so many royal figures were subpoenaed like this, so if nothing else we know that the court is taking this very seriously. The Queen, we are told, will be the last one to be questioned. There are many different conclusions that we can make from this, though I can’t help but find this very interesting. We’ll continue to follow this.

Team not feeling distracted, ready for Round 4 with Sarzonia,
by Chelsea Dufresne, Concord Heights Times

Sarzonia, again? This almost feels like a World Baseball Classic playoff series but this is not a best of three or five. It is, however, the equivalent of a game seven, as the winner will move on to the quarterfinals, and the loser will head home. While Cassadaigua versus Sarzonia contests have been common in other sports, since both nations commonly participate in just about everything (until Queen Cassie II started pulling us out of other sports), we have not seen the matchup as much in soccer. With us being from Rushmore and Sarzonia being from Anaia, (just kidding, just wanted to wake up any of their fans that might be reading, we know they’re from Atlantian Oceania), the nations aren’t going to play in regionals. We’ve seen them in lacrosse several times lately, but that’s not a fair matchup since the Stars dominate that competition all the time. This cycle has been different, with the teams meeting in World Cup qualifying, and both winding up in the Cup of Harmony. Right now, Sarzonia probably wishes we won the group, because they would not have to be playing us for the fourth time. We met again in the group stage of this tournament, and now it’s on to Lakewood City Arena for the final matchup of this cycle.

Playing for the fourth time, there are no surprises that the teams can throw at one another, you would imagine. I asked Brittany Byers if there was anything that she would change up for the match, and the manager replied, “Well, obviously, if I do have anything in mind, I am not going to reveal that at the moment. The personnel is the same, but there are always different things that you can do with that personnel, and both I and Brady Reynolds (Sarzonia’s manager) are looking to figure that out. Whether or not either of us have a trick up out sleeves for the match, when you play at this point in the knockouts, it is all about execution. We didn’t do that very well during the World Cup qualifying over the second half, but we have been better here in the Cup of Harmony. All that work that we have done to try and redeem ourselves for failing to qualify goes out the window if we lose right now.”

One thing people have asked me during the Cup of Harmony is to get a feel on how the players are handling the current events news. With so much going on back at home, which we are all very interested in, you can’t completely tune it out. Amber Hogan, a 23-year old fullback listed in a substitute role, has a sister serving in the military, though not in the 34th Regiment that is active in the Northern Territory. Hogan told me that she thinks about the dangers that the troop might be facing, but that it motivates her on the pitch because she wants to give them good news outside of the battlefield, “My sister is not currently in a combat role and doesn’t expect to be,” Hogan began, “but we talk, and we can relate to what is going on up there, and how they are probably getting a bad reputation for what happened in Gastineau. But I know that they are great people, and we need to thoroughly support them. On the field, it does not affect me. Naturally, I am not one of the starters, but when my number is called, I need to be ready to go, and am ready to play. When not playing or in practice, yeah, we talk about it.” Hogan told me, however, the team keeps the off the field conversations relating to the Cooper River territory about supporting the troops, and they do not starting arguing about who should be the next Queen. Fellow fullback Caitlyn Kaleta, a starter, told me that, “No politics has always been a team rule, even before this. It’s one of those topics that will never have everyone agreeing it, so we blacklist it from being a discussion point. We’ve done a good job with that. Right now, I am just worried about Sarzonia, as is everyone else on this team.”

The winner of this match will have either Chromatika or Ochre Islands awaiting them next.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Chromatika
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Chromatika » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:53 am

The Weight of the World

Last time, penalties
Did sink Chromatika's hopes
Rekans on home soil

This time, brave Juxon
Did just enough to prevail
Though Ceni did try

Tired and overtaxed
Has too much been asked of them?
The weight of the world

When did our football
Become such a matter of
Political might?

They're athletes
Plying their craft for us to see
For all our spirits

Until the day when
Football is entertainment
And nothing further

To expectations
And scheming powers that lie
They'll never be free.
Former User of the Nations of Yesopalitha and Falconfar

Champion: WBC 52, NSCF 24, 26, 28, and CoH 82
Regional Tournaments: AOCAF 55 Champions, 52 & 63 Runners-Up
WC Proper Appearances: Second Place: 93 Semifinals: 76 Quarterfinals: 77, 78 Round of Sixteen: 79, 80, 87, 88, 92 Group Stage: 81, 83, 84, 86, 89
CoH Appearances: 77 (Ro16), 85 (Ro16), 90 (Champions), 91 (QF)
KPB Ranking: 5 (Pre 95)
RP Population: 22 million

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:01 am

World Cup 78 Part One: Takeaway | Two: Duchess | Three: Fidget | Four: Torque | Five: Omen | Six: Leap | Seven: Screams | Eight: Iota | Nine: Death | Ten: Wrong | Eleven: Happy | Twelve: Together | Thirteen: Sweat | Fourteen: Taken | Fifteen Ice cream | Di Bradini Cup 41 Part Sixteen: Stunned | World Cup 79 Part Seventeen: Fame | Eighteen: Weird | Nineteen: Sheep | Twenty: Grave | Twenty-one: Gather | AOCAF Cup 55 Part Twenty-two Device | Twenty-three: Evil | World Cup 80 Part Twenty-four: Sure | Twenty-five: Basic | Twenty-six: Telescope | World Bowl 35 Part Twenty-seven: Sacrifice | World Cup 81 Part Twenty-eight: Library | Twenty-nine: Amateurs | Thirty: Two Ks | Thirty-one: Mirrors | Thirty-two: Germinate | World Cup 82 Part Thirty-three: Party | Thirty-four: Lights | Thirty-five: Fleet | Thirty-six: Pandemonium | World Cup 84 Part Thirty-seven: Idiom | AOCAF 61 Part Thirty-eight: Outline | Thirty-Nine: Wham | Forty: Cock | Forty-one: Mercenary | World Cup 86 Part Forty-two: Facility | Forty-three: Ego | Forty-four: Chimeras | World Cup 88 Part Forty-five: Exist | Forty-six: Motivate | Forty-seven: Whimper | Forty-eight: Geopolitical | Forty-nine: Crossword | Fifty: Something | World Cup 90 Part Fifty-one: Crunch | Fifty-two: Grift | Fifty-three: Simpler | Cup of Harmony 82 Part Fifty-four: Thank you | Cup of Harmony 83 Part Fifty-five: Imaginary
OOC: For the people who haven't been keeping up with my RPs since 2004 (guaranteed to be 100% of readers, I'm sure), there's been a few loosely intertwined threads to an overall, grander story of Starblaydia as a nation: it's become worldbuilding via football RPs. I appreciate that just providing a whole bunch of links going back god-knows-how-many cups isn't particularly helpful to dissect this story, as some of the (necessarily immortal) characters have been developing over the course of 75 in-character World Cups over almost 15 RL years. The TL:DR grand picture, however, looks something like this:

World Cup legend (and author avatar) Simeone Di Bradini has lived for the past 50 World Cups as an immortal construct of the Dreamed Realm, thanks to Arch's IC and OOC generosity. In this time, he's saved the multiverse on several occasions, and has also traveled in time, accidentally becoming Starblaydia's version of King Arthur, the once-and-future King Oberyn Starblayde, in his country's ancient past. The Starblayde family, who currently rule Starblaydia, have all been killed off through various ways and means by the evil vampire Viannor, who is currently masquerading as Lady-Protector Korra Starblayde, the hitherto completely imaginary daughter of the former Lord-Protector Julius Starblayde, and is ruling the nation as tightly as a constitutional monarch who was once the head of the secret service and covert intelligence agency can. This is the second time she has been in control of the nation, and the first time did not go well at all.

Simeone has been informed, by the late "Best in the World" goalkeeper and prophet Lucas Cable, that Korra Starblayde is actually Viannor, and will enslave the entire nation/world/universe/multiverse. Simeone, together with ex-Starblaydia national team manager Ázëwyn Fëanáro the elf, along with time-travelling dwarven scientist from the future Dalnir, plans to stop Viannor by recruiting a rag-tag band of commandos, via the process of essentially making their own Dreamed Realm constructs of some characters from the past, including Lucas Cable.

Tons of stuff has come before, which one day I will put all together in one place as the grand story arc of Starblaydia across the ages, but World Cup 78 was the start of a specific arc with a vague plan in mind, rather than just going wherever the narrative happened to take me on a given day.

"That would definitely be a quarter-final to savour," Simeone said as his serrated knife slid effortlessly through the steak he had ordered, barely compressing the fine cut of meat as it parted in two on his plate. Across from him, Ázëwyn did the same with a far more dainty knife through a slender piece of delicately grilled asparagus. "Did you think you'd have a chance of playing against your successor so soon?"

"Random fate often weaves us a story more intricate than those conjured in the minds of mortals," Ázëwyn replied, popping the asparagus into her mouth and chewing it elegantly, with the smallest of jaw movements.

"Ooh, that was deep," Simeone furrowed his brow and nodded in agreement, "you're really sounding like an otherworldly elf now."

"Am I really? Thank you so much, I've been workshopping it," she grabbed her glass of water as he grinned, swirling it around in the air as she talked with her hands, "they all seem to think I'm this alien being of charismatic gravity that kind of sucks this air of... whatever inexorably toward me."

"Don't get me wrong, I can see it."

"Oh, be quiet you," she broke into a warm smile, one you could see all across her face, from mouth to eyes, "I think we're all getting quite enough of stereotypes right now."

Ázëwyn's remark could only make Simeone nod in agreement once more, this time with a sense of resignation. There was just something in the air, or - more accurately - something in the airwaves that traveled invisibly across Starblaydia, or that flowed through the hyper-fast internet cabling that crisscrossed the great old nation. Everywhere you looked, there was something about character, specifically the national character. What truly made a Starblaydi? What inclination and instinct can identify someone as a Starblaydi, rather than any of the other quarter of a million-plus nations across more than twenty-five thousand regions of the known multiverse, or the millions that had come before. It was an interesting existential question, at the least, but the way it was being presented across a myriad of channels was pricking up the ears of canines across the country with an screeching whistle that was amusingly nationalistic at best, and dangerously xenophobic at worst. As with most things that catch the national zeitgeist in the Protectorate, it was obviously coming from above, from the establishment, forming a overriding and mobilising myth that played into the strongest - or perhaps the basest - inclinations of the Starblaydi people.

They were largely a people who essentially have everything they need in life, content to sit back and bask in their own greatness - one that had once been earned by the intelligence, strength and dedication of those who had come before them many years before. They felt the natural successors to that greatness, receiving it as it was their right, rather than something for them to earn all over again and prove their assumed place in the world was correct. Life was... fine. Streaming services with plenty of entertainment was plentiful, education was available and employment achievable. The centre of politics wherever they went, with a formidable armed forces who none had dared test the might of in over a century, and surely five World Cup Championships was enough for anybody? Why RAWRCRUSH when you can RAWRSTATUSQUO? But that's not quite what the media was telling them.

Starblaydi eyes and ears were being told that their people were once great, but something must have betrayed their mighty culture of - what even was it they were claiming the culture to be? 'Mightiness' in of itself was the implication, but what the Protectorate was mightier at in the past, and especially so the specific timeline of when this had been, was open to vast and ever-changing interpretation. The same fluidity came when pressed on who the betrayers of this particularly ill-defined Pax Starblaydia were, from politicians, to the over-educated, to a specific set of media groups and owners, to students and foreigners and everything in between. It was a tantalising balance of stories, woven from the greatest inclinations of what was at once a mighty and unconquerable people who's power spanned centuries, and the treasonous traitors who could all too easily shatter that fragile and delicate national persona at any moment. Both steadfast and shaky, vastly unstoppable and incredibly vulnerable, the national consciousness of the Starblaydi people was a concept being reimagined in real time, conjured whole cloth from a spray of scatter-gun ideas to imprint upon the psyche as the most indelible of myths, one for which everything else would naturally be subordinated.

"I think I need another drink," Simeone said, suddenly glum.

"And something stronger than this water for me." Ázëwyn sighed, and slid her glass away from her.
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:08 am

Duchamp Guides New Generation of All Greens to Round of Sixteen

DANNIN, MERTAGNE - Salvador Duchamp, the first All Greens manager of Darmeni-Valladar heritage, has spurned his doubters by guiding the current All Greens squad, which includes many younger players, all the way to the round of sixteen of the Cup of Harmony. The former Rogerton Rebels FC manager has now compiled a 4-2-1 record in his first seven matches, a good start to what is hopefully a long and successful reign over one of the most important institutions in Darmen.

Duchamp's squad selection for this tournament was controversial for some back home; on the one hand it fulfilled some Darmeni supporters hopes for a younger squad to be selected, while on the other hand many felt that the lack of experienced players would hamper Darmen's efforts in the competition.

"These young men have proved to the whole country what they're capable of," commented Duchamp in the post match press conference following their 4-3 victory on penalties over Poafmersia. Duchamp made particular mention of striker Dorian Kinnaird, who is Darmen's leading goal scorer so far in the competition with five goals in seven matches. "For anyone worried that having Blackwood on the bench and Halle not on the roster would spell disaster for this team, I can't see how they can watch Kinnaird work his craft and not believe that the future of Darmeni football is in good hands."

The 25 year old Kinnaird also took time to praise the national team's new manager, "He's definitely shaken up the team, given it a new look. The future's bright with him in charge, there's no more complacency, stagnation, negativity or anything else that drove some of our biggest fans nuts in frustration in the past. I definitely can't promise we're going to win every competition we enter from here on out, but we'll be in contention for sure."

Darmen's opponent in the round of sixteen is fellow Rushmori side Oberour Ar Moro, whom the All Greens have faced twice before: the first match finishing a 1-1 draw in Copa Rushmori 31 and the second match coming in the very next edition of the regional championship, that time finishing level at 3-3. There are no draws in knockout football, meaning one of these two teams will have to break the deadlock between them. The All Greens are certainly confident that they'll be the ones to tip the series record in their favor, but only ninety (and possibly more) minutes at the Ring Tank Stadium in Ostosaide will truly be able to decide if that's the case.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Mertagne
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Mertagne » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:25 am

LOCAL INTEREST GROUPS GIVEN GO AHEAD TO RECONSTRUCT CRAVANNIEN CASTLE
Archaeologists reconstruct original castle layout after three-year excavation

The town of Cravannien in Wesaxe is far off the beaten track for many Mertagnians, but what the town lacks in access to the bright lights of the big cities, it more than makes up for in its history. The town, previously a city settled by ancient kings of the also ancient Kingdom of Wesaxe, was in the Medieval Period the capital of a prosperous kingdom that many modern Mertagnians can trace their lineage back to.

Cravannien Castle was constructed during this early Medieval period, and hosted a seat of power for monarchs from King Wesley, first monarch of Wesaxe, through to the famous King Lucien the Cloudheaded, who founded an exploratory order that set the stage for the migration of a militant sect of Wesaxe people south across Calania to the modern day Euran Oceania Territories. However, over the centuries, the Kingdom of Wesaxe lost its status as one of the Calanian Contenders, and the area of present day-Mertagne floundered under the jurisdiction of myriad smaller nations, including the former city state of Leorudo, where Neorudo sits today.

In the modern day, Cravannien sits as a large town in Wesaxe province, with the ruins of Cravannien Castle perched on top of a hill, its shallow moat now all dried up and primarily used by the town's children for tobogganing in the snow in the winter. The castle itself, which partly remains, has mostly subsided into the ground, and three years ago the green light was given for a team of archaeologists from private firm Dig-Dug to excavate the submerged castle and determine how it looked at its height in the medieval period.

The firm, working diligently for three years, has finally released a report on their findings, which detail the excavation of an expansive network of tunnels below the castle, emerging from a famous wine cellar that was constructed in the middle Medieval period, when the castle underwent renovations to house the returning Order of the Fourbarbs, who had been defeated in battle while exploring eastern Calania.

The local council has pledged to release funding to reconstruct the castle and label it as a tourist attraction, in order to boost the economy of the local town. Local museum curator Henri Tio called the report "an excellent link to a Mertagnian Past which is increasingly hard to isolate". Due to the large scale inhabitance of many different peoples on the part of Calania where Mertagne stands today, finding artifacts and literature from the time of the Wesaxe people has been a task of difficulty for the nation's historians. However, the excavation here at Cravannien may unlock the door for similar findings across the country, as artifacts from the basement of the castle have been well preserved, shingin an insight into the daily lives of the medieval nobility that once criss-crossed these ancient lands.

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:01 am

Mertagnian Half - Round of 16 Cutoff

Mertagne 1–1 Milchama (3–1 AET)

Savojarna 4–3 Starblaydia

Eura 2–2 Delte (3–2 AET)

Oberour Ar Moro 2–2 Darmen (2–2 AET) (2–4 pen.)

Quarter-Final Matchups

Mertagne vs. Savojarna
@ Dannin City Stadium, Dannin, Dannmarsh (85,750)

Eura vs. Darmen
@ Keers Dock Pitch, Keers, Plitterland (68,750)

Last edited by Tumbra on Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

Mertagne
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Mertagne » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:02 am

Tumbran Half - Round of 16 Scores

Cassadaigua 1–0 Sarzonia

Chromatika 4–2 Ochre Islands

The Cordian Isles 1–3 Audioslavia

Kuraita 1–0 Bollonich

Quarter Final Matchups

Cassadaigua vs Chromatika
@ Couno Port Stadium, Couno, Napier (54,500)

Audioslavia vs Kuraita
@ Nantwich Stadium, Nantwich, Finnley (64,000)
Last edited by Mertagne on Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports