NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup 73 - RPing Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Free Republics
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:01 pm

The election for Consul of the Free Republics was starting to heat up and the players on the Republican National Team were watching intently to see who would be their next Junior Consul. Today, the final major party nomination would be decided in the critical Nejax primary. That was the nomination of the Radical Alliance, the party of the fallen Consul Venicio Piazza.

The leading candidates for the nomination were Mario Piazza and Luigi Piazza, the Consul's sons. Mario was running on a platform of "uncompromising radicalism," pledging to lead the FFR toward a bold future of radical liberty. Luigi proposed a more moderate approach that combined the Alliance's support for personal responsibility with a minimal safety net. The battle between the 2 brothers had proven much more contentious than many had expected. There had even been reports of a fistfight between the 2 of them at their family's Christmas party, but this was vociferously denied by both camps.

Amid this backdrop, they came into the Nejax primary practically tied in the delegate count. In advance of the Nejax primary, both brothers pledged to support the winner of the primary as the legitimate nominee of the Alliance. However, as the results came in, it soon became clear that the race would be too close to call. Luigi took the lead early in the night as votes came in from the urban areas and was declared the winner by FBC. However, in an embarrassment for the network, Mario surged amid stronger than expected results from rural Nejax and seemed to have taken the lead by the end of the night.

The following morning, both candidates claimed victory and threatened to sue for a recount if their brother was declared the winner of the primary. Within a week, it would become evident that the true winner of the race would never be known. The Radical Alliance was now in disarray, with roughly half of their voters remaining loyal to Mario and the other half putting their support behind Luigi. With a generic Radical candidate polling just 11% in polling, just over the 10% required to advance to the second round, the Radical Alliance's chances of winning the election seemed to be well and truly over.

As the news of the self-destruction of the Radical Alliance spread, the other candidates breathed a sigh of relief. The other leading candidates for the Consulship were Progressive candidate Sibylla Croteau, Responsive Progress Party candidate Younes Danielsson, Salvation Circle candidate Delmar Lavallee, Moderate Liberal Conservative Coalition candidate Leopold Tretiakov and an independent businessman named Kaleb O'Reilly. Kaleb O'Reilly was the surprise of the campaign thus far. When he first announced his candidacy, the media had not considered him a serious candidate but his combination of protectionist economics, isolationist foreign policy and his calls for the mass deportation of immigrants had won him a sizable following.

The Progressives and the Responsive Progress Party were both revived from the pre-HRE days, with their old leadership intact. Both of their candidates polled a consist 8-12% in national polling. Croteau was running on the idea that she would be the first woman to serve as Consul of the Free Republics and also on a radical agenda that called for higher taxes on the wealthy and a bold program, known as "social justice" to make amends to groups that had allegedly been oppressed in the past. Danielsson, the reasonable progressive, was running on the idea that the Federation Government should be the employer of last resort and was explicitly opposed to gun control, "social justice" and other ideas that he deemed to be part of the "loony" left. The 2 were largely seen as battling for the same constituency, just with different tactics.

The Salvation Circle was a movement formed by disillusioned former followers of the True Church who had started their own Church which had quickly become known as the Salvationists. Salvationists rejected the Church hierarchy but embraced Christian moral teachings and sought to impose the literal Law of Moses upon Republican society. Their movement had started rather small but had quickly grown with aggressive Internet marketing to disillusioned supporters of the former Consul Kulseth. Salvationism had quickly spread to every major city of the Federation. Given the success they had found, their charismatic leader, Lavallee, had decided to run for Consul arguing that Consul Kulseth had not done enough to eradicate sinfulness in the Holy Republican Empire and that his negligence had led to the downfall of the Empire. While most people laughed at them as kooks, they were a rising force.

Finally, the Liberals, Conservatives and Moderates had moved into the Moderate Liberal Conservative Coalition, a new party consisting of the 3 formerly dominant parties of the FFR. Their candidate, Leopold Tretiakov, was the grandson of a famous Consul, Ivan Tretiakov, who still had a generally positive reputation with the electorate. The younger Tretiakov was lacking in charisma and wasn't exactly the most attractive man to run for Consul but he made up for that in his extensive knowledge of public policy and his record as one of the most renowned professors of history in the FFR. His supporters considered him the most qualified man to serve as Consul while those who didn't support him considered him a boring academic with nothing interesting to say.

There was nobody who loathed Tretiakov more than Kaleb O'Reilly. The outspoken brothel tycoon had made a habit out of bashing his centrist rival on a daily basis. Indeed, the only individuals he disparaged more were immigrants. Mr. O'Reilly's declaration speech had consisted of a rant about how "The rest of Esportiva isn't sending their best. They're not sending people who can be productive and actually do something to benefit our nation. They're sending murderers, burglars, street thugs, gang bangers and terrorists to destroy our great nation from within. From Nephara to San Jose Guayabal to Apox to Yttribia to The Sarian to Taxachusetts, all of the other Esportivan nations are dumping their criminals on our shores. This has to stop and, when I'm your Consul, I will send this life unworthy of life back to the shitholes they came from! Not only that, but I'll make them pay for it themselves and if they don't like it, I'll slap an embargo on them so they can't dump their shitty products on our markets any longer!" While Mr. O'Reilly's comments are inflammatory, they were surprisingly well-received enough by a large enough proportion of the electorate to put him in a narrow first place at that moment.

The arguments in the Republican National Team over the upcoming elections were endless but the one constant was that they all liked either Danielsson, Tretiakov or one of the Piazza brothers and they loathed the other candidates. Whether their opinions were shared by the broader electorate would have to be seen, but they would definitely be following the election either way in the coming months. Not even soccer was more important than the future of the FFR...
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25
Current Senior Consul: Nova Hellstrom-Hancock (Golden Age)
Current Junior Consul: Samuel Izmailov (Nat-Gre)
Demonym: Republican
Trigram: FFR
Official Nation Name: Federation of Free Republics
Stop Biden: Vote Trump!

Damukuni
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 31, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[04] Tic-Tac-Toe, Five In A Row...

Postby Damukuni » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:40 pm

THE LXXIII WORLD CUP
APOX · ROYAL KINGDOM OF QUÉBEC
on

Qualifying Stage
Group 5 | Qualifier 13 | 19 Oct 2015

(191) Image GIM 2 - 0 DKI Image (229)
Pacific Hall, West Ansan, Empire of Gim
MATCH TIMELINE
presented by Supercel®
GIMPLAYERTIMEEVENTDKI
0-- ----00:00Start of Match0
1-- Choi25:33GOAL
2-- Choi47:16GOAL
2-- ----90:00Full Time0

DNN
damukuninewsnetwork
TOP STORIES

*** BREAKING NEWS: President Naruto Shinagawa dies at age 59 ***

SuperPress Wire

The President of the United States of Damukuni, Naruto Shinagawa, has died following a sudden heart attack in the Presidential Palace in Atarashii-Damushuto.

Executive spokesperson Yasuo Takahashi said in an emergency press conference earlier this afternoon that Shinagawa was watching today's World Cup matches with his wife, First Lady Natsumi Shinagawa, when suddenly he complained of a chest pain just below his rib cage. About 30 seconds later, he collapsed. The DSS1 summoned emergency personnel, who pronounced him dead at the scene.

Funeral arrangements will follow, to be publicly announced at a later date, although Takahashi stated that Shinagawa's body will lay in state at the Congressional Meeting House on Saturday.

President Shinagawa left no vice president to rule, due to the assassination of the previous one six months ago. Popular Congress Herald Tsukeru Hitori (DNDF) will be sworn in as acting president at 6:00 PM DKIT.

The Damukuni News Network extends its condolences and prayers to the Presidential family in their time of grief.

Federal agencies launch probes into Damukuni FA
Staff Report

According to a press conference held by a joint panel of both OASIS2 officials, representatives of the Damukuni Football Players' Association, and the Congressional3 Committee on Corporational Regulation, the Damukuni Football Association may be in legal trouble after several players in the association's tiered domestic league filed complaints to the union regarding several issues related to gameplay conditions and fair compensation, among other things.

FPA president Kyōsuke Nagawara testified before the panel as plaintiff-in-chief. Nagawara's findings were that stadium lights for night matches were either too dim for playing matches or even nonexistent, requiring re-schedules or even re-plays of existing matches. In addition, players currently only receive small match fees, compared to other similar jobs in nations throughout Esportiva.

"Our top-tier stadiums, particularly Atarashii-Damushuto [International] Stadium, are only operating at 100 lumens of light maximum. I can barely see my graphing calculator when I'm trying to add up the appropriate statistics for our players. In most cases, I just bring my flashlight or a book light to games, or use my smartphone," Nagawara remarked.

On the fair compensation issue, Nagawara said: "We are only getting between Ð500 and Ð700 [NS$375-525] to a match in The Champions football [Damukuni's top tier]. With thirty-eight matches, that's only Ð19,000 to about Ð28,000 [NS$14,250-21,000] in a season. For most of us, that's our pay for the whole year. Per hour, that's little more than a fast-food employee, who easily makes Ð12 (NS$9) an hour at current minimum wage schedules."

Spokespeople for the Damukuni FA did not return requests for comment.

This panel follows on today's arrest of Damukuni FA vice-president Uzumaki Tachikara on embezzlement charges related to the Damukuni FA, which OASIS officials declined to comment further on, other than that he was released on bail of Ð150,000 [NS$112,500]. Tachikara, 58, was also the president of the now-defunct Board of Control of Cricket in Damukuni, the former custodian organisation of the stadiums now used by the Damukuni FA for domestic league matches, with the exception of the University of Damushuto Stadium, used by the University City Sport football club, but maintained by the university.
  1. Damukunian Secret Service.
  2. The Office of Anti-Strategic-Intelligence Services, Damukuni's FBI.
  3. "Congressional" here refers to the lower house of the Legislative Assembly, similar to the IRL USA House of Representatives.
Last edited by Damukuni on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
THE UNITED INTERPLANETARY STATES OF DAMUKUNI
Cap: Atarashii-Damushuto | Pop: 356,709,481 (2070) | Lang: English, Damukunian | Money: Damuokane (Ð)
Former Leader of Esportiva | Damukuni on NSSWiki
CoH 69 4th Place | CoH 75 Runners-up

Flardania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Flardania » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:31 pm

八十一、まだグルービング,!
Kyosuke Is Feeling well so far
Français|日本語|한국어|English
Sports in Review | Kirishinan Broadcasting Corporation

Interview by Aoki Muranaka

Manager-Hikaru Kyosuke enjoying cool seat
Ohayō Gozaimasu Kyosuke-san. Well right now Kirishima seems very competitive in the early going, how are you feeling?

- Ah Muranaka-san, it has been our patience since I first commanded this team. The management hired me and trust me to take time to invent a Kirishinan place style and assemble a team that can play to my scheme. Most of the players are young but have the right tools and now the right amount of experience. It's more fun this time around as well due to less pressures.

Your team's next match is tonight against the defending champs Pasarga are you ready?

- I hope so, I truly hope so. This is a team that is honestly out of our league for now but if we play our game right and our opponents make some mistakes, we may pull a Gim like upset!

What are the key players for success this time around?

- Like usual Joseph Yabuta is very talented and will always be a part of the offense in some shape or form,whether it's by scoring, assisting, crucial ball movement etc. On the other hand I feel that potential wise Miyoko Hojo will be an internationally sensation in a few more cups. She has more polished skills but she is still raw. All she need is more experience gathering. Ayame Fujisaka will be a future captain as he is very smart and very defensively aware.

Last question - What do you want most out of this tournament?
- Further Growth and Respect. I now have the tactics and game plan but I still seek to create a legacy one day and continue our quest towards international Respect. To do this we need to keep winning and keep climbing the rankings. We will improve hidden potential and show the world that the Nation with the greatest passion and eventual skill is us!

Tonight's game can be seen on Nagatomo Sport Network (NSN) and Saito Broadcast Channel (SBC) in Japanese or French. For those seeking English broadcast the game will be national televised on FBC sports2.
Last edited by Flardania on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Proud FMR. Foreign Minister of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
Proud member of the -ALLIANCE OF DEMOCRATIC STATES-

I am a MT Japanese/Korean nation inhabited by Human, Anime(They're also Human), and Secret FanT beings (Northern Wilderness)that perform acts based on MT/PMT Reality

Internationally known as Flardania in English, known domestically as Kirishima in Japanese & French, and domestically as Angaeseom in Korean

Associated Godlands
Spokesperson

Founded: May 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Associated Godlands » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:49 pm

GodHatesYou.God
The official blog of Shirley Phelps-Roper

Hello followers. No new websites today, but there will be more in the future. Today is just a day to blog a bit about our soccer team.

2-2 to San Jose Guayabal. An interesting result. To be completely honest, I'm not quite sure what God has in store for us. You see, San Jose Guayabal seems like they're the type of team that God would let off easy and send sprawling into the abyss of Hell without demolishing their childhood hopes or anything like that. Hence they are one of the more logical teams to lose to us, allowing us to qualify for the World Cup without sacrificing any misery for godless heathens. Oh well, I'm sure God has something in mind.

Then again, He still could be sending a message to us. I still am of belief that we have a Muslim impostor on our team, and he could be punishing us for that. But in this group, one Muslim isn't near enough to make us not win the group. I still wonder who that Muslim is. I hope we bring him justice for his heinous sins.

Which is why I've recently established the Ministry of Finding Muslims, a governmental organization devoted to cleansing the country of all Muslims. The Minister of Finding Muslims will be someone who is very good at finding Muslims, and that is my good friend Dick Cheney. I'm excited to see our country improve and I know Dick is the right man for the job, although I'm not sure how he's going to get funds for his efforts. I presume they can come out of pocket, or perhaps by very stiff recommended donations to his organization.

If you're looking for information about the game, it was pretty exciting. The Lord and Savior Jesus Christ scored two goals for our team, but Rodolfo Zelaya and Sean Fraser struck for San Jose Guayabal and forced a draw. It's somewhat embarrassing to be held to one point by these guys in The Lord and Savior Jesus Christ Stadium, but once again, God must have a plan. So I'm not worried.

I also encourage all of you to visit our official website, which I am very excited about. Shirley Phelps-Roper out.
Puppet of San Llera
Praise The Lord And Savior Jesus Christ!!!
Ruled by God and his sapient mouthpiece, Queen Phelps Roper
This nation (obviously) does not represent my actual opinions

Stvoto Latoli
Envoy

Founded: Dec 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Stvoto Latoli » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:25 pm

Groups 1-10 Matchday 6 Cutoff

Bailar. Limpiar. Spanish Stuff.

SCORES
Last edited by Stvoto Latoli on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But he was wrong. It was he who was the traitor, he the dictator, he the true tyrant. I returned to above the waves and presented the location of the merpeople's treasure to the dictator of Stvoto Latoli, who greedily took the coordinates without thanking me. As I leapt atop my broom, I could already hear the wailing of the merpeople from the depths; their last shred of dignity, the last remnant of their kingdom, their last symbol of hope; raped by the tyrannical humans.

Witty Penguins
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Witty Penguins RP #7

Postby Witty Penguins » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:24 am

(OOC: Cuboneland hasn't submitted a team roster so I haven't been given much to work with here. I kinda made up some of the stuff here to reflect that lack of information and to actually have something to write about. If Cuboneland reads this, hopefully I haven't offended you in some way by writing this.)

WC QUALIFIERS: Cuboneland 1-4 A.U.W.P.

18 October 2015

CUBONELAND - The Penguins have thrashed their opponent Cuboneland 4-1 in their 5th World Cup Qualifying match. It was an easy affair for the away side, easily dominating the 7th placed team, and raking in their 2nd victory this tournament. But it was a most peculiar day for the Penguinish team and their supporters. Cuboneland has been ever so secret about their World Cup campaign. Supporters who flew to Cuboneland have been closely managed and monitored by police. They reported that they were not allowed to leave their hotels throughout their stay; it was only during the match that they could leave.

"It was odd, and actually a bit scary," said Penguinish supporter Janet Yorkstone.

"When it was time for the match, they called us over to heavily tinted buses, and herded us in. We had no idea where they were taking us. Eventually the bus stopped, and we were taken into the stadium. It was very secretive - I have no idea what the stadium we went to was even called."

According to some team staff, the team itself received the same secretive treatment. Furthermore, none of the visitors had any idea of who the players were. Troy Cornet commented to journalists at Unitia City Airport about the match.

"It was almost surreal to be honest. The players had no names on their shirts, they didn't talk to us; they just played the game and left after the 90 minutes. It was all played out like a routine, it didn't exactly feel much like a football match."

Despite the odd situation, the Penguins took control of the match early on, with Klaus Gunther taking the score to 1-0 in the 17th minute. Pierre Fort added a second goal to the Penguins' score in the 38th minute, after Troy Cornet lobbed the ball across and over the Cuboneland defenders. Just before halftime, Floyd Howard knocked a striker over with a poor tackle near the goal; Cuboneland would use their free kick to take the score to 2-1. Gunther broke through the defense in the 54th minute to add another goal to his name, and Harry Whitfield seized a fourth Penguinish goal in the 87th minute.

For the team, it was their second win in a row, after a narrow 1-0 victory over Maklohi Vai yesterday. In addition, it is to date their largest win, having previously never won a match by more than a single goal. The team has also advanced to 4th position, with 8 points. Fans were ecstatic about the result.

However some also expressed some anxiety about the looming match against Saintland, who are currently no. 1 in Group 18, and have not yet lost a match. The Penguins will host the visitors tomorrow at Unitia City Stadium.
Last edited by Witty Penguins on Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Office of the President
Government House, Unitia City

THE ARCTIC REPUBLIC OF WITTY PENGUINS
Established November 9, 1901
- ✷ -
Ice Hockey - NZEL Season 27 Champions (Unitia City Wanderers)
Football - nothing yet

Kirisaki
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kirisaki » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:47 am

Lons has not, as of the time of writing, posted a roster for this edition of the World Cup, and consequently all Lons references contained herein are derived from their roster for World Cup 72.

Lons 1-4 Kirisaki
Shirakiin's gals claim top spot in consummate style

Say what you will about Kirisaki; the one thing they know how to do best is entertain.

Shirakiin's charges had thus far enjoyed a relatively unspectacular start in their bid to attain successive World Cup qualifications, an early blot in the form of a high-scoring 4-4 draw at Zenic more than compensated for by a credible draw at home against top seeds Valladares. Tonight, however, the Nova staked their claim to the title of group winners, easing into top spot in group 15 as they swatted a distinctly average Lons side away with ease at the Âlesiâ SattelitePro Stadium.

As soon as the first whistle blew, Kirisaki employed their usual possession-based strategy, maintaining control over the ball high up the pitch as they sought to apply early pressure to the Lons defence. Shirakiin's offensive tactical plan has often been found lacking against more defensively and technically proficient opponents; however, Lons were not quite able to cope in the early stages of the game, often forced into tackles and rushed clearances as they gamely tried to keep their more illustrious opponents at bay.

Knocking the ball about with typical confidence and technique, it did not take long for Kirisaki to carve out their first decent opening. Breaking at pace down the left flank after a rare Lons attack had succumbed in the middle of the park, Rin Natsume beat the covering Êv Dôgeîs for speed, ghosting past the Lons right back before delivering a spinning cross into the area. Had it been Kurugaya who was waiting in the box to get on the end of the cross, Kirisaki would surely have opened their account for the match; as it was, Tsuchimikado, stretching to get to the ball, nodded the ball just wide of the Lons goal under pressure from Wârdên.

As it was, Kirisaki were not to be denied, their much vaunted attack combining to good effect in the fifteenth minute to set the stage for a veritable thrashing. In typically characteristic fashion, Saten slid in on a tentatively advancing Regêsi, winning the ball cleanly. Picking up the loose ball some forty yards away from goal, Ishibashi looked up, spotted Tsuchimikado's run and calmly lofted the ball over the backpedalling Lons defence. As Lons defenders raised their hands, vainly appealing for offside, Tsuchimikado bore down on goal at pace, drawing Lons 'keeper Timenâi out before cheekily backheeling the ball to the onrushing Kurugaya, who made no mistake in dispatching the ball into an unguarded goal.

1-0 to Kirisaki, and one sensed that there was still more to come. It looked like Lons were in for a long night; as they lost the ball almost immediately from the kickoff, Volus sending a misdirected pass straight to the feet of Ishibashi. The resulting move nearly culminated in a second goal for the visitors; only Isshiki's inexplicably profligate finish from twenty yards, her miscued shot squirting wide of goal, let Lons off the hook. The respite was short-lived; not too long afterwards, Tsuchimikado and co. were once again banging at the door, asking tricky questions of Lons. Driving forward from defence, Ishio showed off her dribbling skills as she took the ball past the Lons midfield. The ball eventually made its way to Ishibashi, who bought a ticket and very nearly won the raffle; her ambitious curling effort from nearly thirty yards out nicking the post, with Timenâi's desperate dive leaving him a few inches short.

Lons, to their immense credit, did not roll over and allow Kirisaki to run roughshod over them. They were being out-footballed, but in terms of physical ability the Lons team retained a sizable advantage over Kirisaki - not saying much, given that Kirisaki's team-wide shortcomings in terms of physical build were well documented, but Lons nearly capitalised on that advantage on the stroke of half time. From a Regêsi corner, Blâkân climbed above Mikasa to head the ball powerfully towards goal; only Shigure's brilliant reflex stop at point-blank range saved Kirisaki from conceding an equaliser so late in the first half.

Shigure's excellent stop would prove to be significant, too, as Kirisaki immediately went up the other end and added another goal to their tally. After Lons' second corner petered out in a goal kick, Shigure displayed good vision to pick out Uryū with a sixty yard pass; the speedy winger sprinted towards goal, leaving two Lons defenders on the deck with some skillful play before drilling the ball into the Lons net. It was a wonderful goal that only served to highlight the attacking talent within Kirisaki's ranks - they had the ability to hurt Lons, either individually or collectively.

The second half started off in much the same fashion as the first one, with Kirisaki enjoying the lion's share of possession as they camped in the Lons half while attacking with sheer abandon. It was the type of tactical plan which might be derided by coaches from the four corners of the multiverse, but it was classic Shirakiin; and indeed Kirisaki very nearly added a third goal early in the second half, Kurugaya coming close with a cleanly-hit volley that was blocked on the goal line by Wârdên.

While Kirisaki had been far and away the better team on the pitch, Lons too enjoyed its own moments; none more significant than their solitary goal, scored on the hour mark. A carelessly played pass by Natsume was intercepted by the Lons midfield, and with most of the Kirisakian team caught upfield in anticipation of an attack, Lons were able to break at speed. Blâkân managed to wriggle past the challenges of the recovering Natsume and a tentative Mikasa; his run into the area came to an end only when Shigure dived at his feet, attempting to make the save. The referee however adjudged Shigure's attempt to win the ball illegal, and duly cautioned the 'keeper. The penalty award was met by protests from both the Kirisakian players and fans; Shigure looked to have won the ball cleanly. The referee was unmoved as he pointed straight to the spot; and indeed his decision was vindicated, as later replays showed Shigure catching Blâkân's ankle as she dived to reach the ball. Blâkân himself took on the responsibility of taking the penalty, coolly smashing the ball with unerring accuracy into the bottom left corner.

Kirisaki, however, quickly found a response to the setback. Ten minutes after conceding, they managed to come up with the perfect reply. Picking the ball up in midfield, Asahi - on as a substitute for the flagging Ishibashi - embarked on a mazy run that took her past three Lons players, before laying the ball off to the left to Uryū. The tricky left winger cut into the middle, using her low centre of gravity to elude the attentions of the Lons defenders, and chipped the ball high into the box. This time, Tsuchimikado made amends for her earlier missed chance, smartly diverting the ball past Timenâi's outstretched hand with her shin.

Kirisaki continued to pile on the pressure despite signs of fatigue, as Shirakiin used up her remaining two substitutions to see the game out. At 3-1 up against inferior opposition so late in the game, they were unlikely to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Thereafter, the game was relatively uneventful, with Kirisaki's forays into the final third manfully repelled by the Lons defence; Shirakiin's players did manage, however, to add further gloss to the scoreline in the second minute of extra time, as Koeda Sakuranami, on in place of Tsuchimikado, skilfully curled the ball into the bottom right corner of Timenâi's goal with the outside of her boot.
The artist known as Kyrin Knightsbridge; everybody's favourite blend of acidic, astringent sarcasm.

Jeruselem
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jeruselem » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:15 am

In a country called The Sword Bloke, Princess Laura in hospital looking a bit dazed ...

Laura: Mum! Err, what am I doing here?
Amy: Oh, you had a minor incident during the game
Laura: Oh yes, I was going head the ball and ... well, I blacked out
Amy: Unfortunately, your opponent headed the wrong ball.
Laura: Yeah?
Amy: Well, more like your head.

Laura: Well, that explains things. Did we win?
Amy: Uh no, we lost 1-0.
Laura: Well that was a bit of disaster.
Amy: You alright?
Laura: I don't know, can't remember much of today
Amy: I don't like these kind of head injuries, you can't tell what will happen

Laura: Well, I can remember my name. That's a start.
Amy: Hopefully, you recover in time.
Laura: I guess I have to take it easy. Getting whacked in the head isn't good for you. How is everyone?
Amy: They aren't happy they lost the game but are more worried about you
Laura: I'll be fine. I have spare brain cells to spare!
Amy: You'll need to stay here for a few more days.

Laura: Can I go home to get treatment. I don't to be stuck in this Sword Bloke place.
Amy: I suppose we could do that.
Laura: Hospitals are for sick people! I don't to hang out with sick people.
Amy: I just remembered your kids were watching the game
Laura: Oh great, they saw Mum being carted off the field.
Amy: I'll have to make sure they don't stress out. Your daughters especially.

Laura: I've got an annoying headache
Amy: Hopefully, it's only temporary
Laura: Yeah well, my balance is pretty dodgy as well.
Amy: That's not good
Laura: Yes, I'll be useless on the football field if that's permanent.
Amy: We need you for the home game since we lost our first game

Laura: Don't worry you worry, I'll be back!
Amy: You had dinner yet?
Laura: Not yet, not keep on this hospital food
Amy: You have eat something
Laura: Am I allowed to have soda or something?
Amy: I don't know, better the nurse first.

Laura: Just feel a bit flat, suppose I was flat on my back
Amy: I'll see if I can get you home for treatment
Laura: We sure visit hospitals far too often
Amy: Did you know our ancestor Princess Marie-Antoinette was in the foreign country
Laura: No, there you go. I don't intend to follow her example though. I prefer to give birth at home.
Amy: I'm way past that stage

Laura: Say, I'd better ring the kids. They'll be a bit upset.
Amy: Yes, that dad of theirs is pretty useless.
Laura: I guess he's done his job
Amy: You got more kids than I have
Laura: Yes, can't complain I'm not doing my job
Amy: Better get you your soda.
Jeruselem's sports achievements
http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=J ... hievements

Land of the Tiger Princesses

Kernansquillec
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

RP5

Postby Kernansquillec » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:07 am

K KITS CONTROVERSY: THE TRUTH
A Daily Kernansquillecan investigation

Last month, the secondary reality beings of The Holy Empire announced a competition to decide their new kit for the upcoming World Cup. Supporters and sympathisers of the Empire - both of normal and secondary reality - were presented with three different models from which to vote for. While seemingly a pleasing attempt to involve fans of all dimensions in the runnings of the Holy Empire Football Association, things quickly turned sour following allegations of plagiarism and intellectual theft from Kernansquillecan kit design and production company, K Kits. Since then, allegations from both sides have caused controversy in the footballing world and beyond, with K Kits threatening to take legal action in multiple states while The Holy Empire Football Association have continue to claim that they have done nothing wrong. So what is the truth behind the controversy? An exclusive Daily Kernansquillecan investigation has looked at the claims of both sides to find out what the truth actually is.

Claim 1: The Holy Empire has copied K Kits' design (K Kits) TRUE

There can be no doubt that the second design proposed in the Holy Empire's competition is indeed a virtual carbon copy of K Kits' initial design. The Daily Kernansquillecan has been able to independently verify K Kits' designs. However, while the Holy Empire's Football Association still claims it's kit was only "closely modelled". They claimed in a public statement that an agreement signed between K Kits and the Holy Empire Football Association allows for such use and that according to this agreement they have done nothing wrong at all.

Claim 2: An agreement was signed between K Kits and the Holy Empire Football Association (The HEFA) NOT REALLY

The Holy Empire Football Association's defence rests on a so-called contract signed between themselves and K Kits. However K Kits has yet to confirm or deny the existence of such an agreement despite persistent questioning. But, on the other hand the Holy Empire Football Association have also refused to publish a full copy of the protocol. The Daily Kernansquillecan were however able to obtain confidential information from within K Kits which paints quite a different picture than the one the Holy Empire Football Association were telling. According to our source, the protocol the Holy Empire Football Association is referring too was indeed signed by a senior K Kits official, but not voluntarily. It would seem that the contract only exists in a 5th dimension, only visible with the real of the Holy Empire. In Kernansquillec the contract simply took the form of a Kernansquillecan immigration document that required the signature of a K Kits' official to prove that Holy Empire officials were in Kernansquillec on business matters. According to our source it appears that K Kits were duped into signing this contract which is clearly unbalanced in favour of the Holy Empire Football Association. Holy Empire officials are understood to have sent a copy of this contract to K Kits in 2D form after the relationship between the two parties broke down.

Claim 3: 2D models are not valid under agreements concerning Kernansquillecan reality (The HEFA) FALSE

The Holy Empire Football Association appears to base a substantial part of it's claim on the fact that two dimensional versions of modified three dimensional K Kits designs would not constitute plagiarism. However, this fact does not stand up due to the fact that both the first, second and third dimensions all exist in Kernansquillec and are clearly perceivable to all. As such, 2D designs are covered by Kernansquillecan law, even if originally 3D designs, and vice-versa.

Claim 4: K Kits has taken legal action against the Holy Empire Football Association FALSE

As far as the Daily Kernansquillecan was able to understand K Kits has yet to file a lawsuit against the Holy Empire Football Association as they threatened to do so it their initial press release. No court in Kernansquillec has yet to receive any claim and our reporters were unable to receive any confirmation of action being taken in other countries, be it in the Rushmori region or in nation's who have a record of dealing with plagiarism strongly, such as Gregoryisgodistan, the Free Republics or Frenline Delpha. The latter two both confirmed that no action had been taken when we contacted them, while our source inside Gregoryisgodistan is understood to have unfortunately fallen foul of the totalitarian regime of Gregory before being able to report back any confirmation whatsoever.

Claim 5: 2D kits in Dreamed Realm do not cover the back (and bums) of players UNCLEAR

The Daily Kernansquillecan's dimensional expect Gary Rodgers explained to our reporters that while in the Dreamed Realm a three dimensional kit (from the perception of normal reality) may actually appear in that reality as a two dimensional kit. Studies concerning ultra-dimensions have been limited in Kernansquillec, but it does appears according to the last studies that objects of one dimension may change dimension in a different dimension. However, due to the lack of scientific evidence this still remains unclear and is likely to cause a number of questions if this dispute should end up in the courts. But Gary Rodgers was able to confirm that if the Holy Empire was indeed actually proposing a two dimensional kit for use in the "normal" dimension for footballing purposes - which would leave the entire rear of players exposed - it would confirm his long seeded suspicion that "ultra-dimensionalist beings are sexual perverts".

The Daily Kernansquillecan hopes that this article has help you see more clearly in this very complicated commercial dispute that is mixing both complex copyright laws of multiple states and realities, along with the complex scientific questions and explanations surrounding the different realities that exist in our Universe. We shall continue to follow this story and bring you all of the development that may follow.

Image Barunia 5 - 0 Kernansquillec Image
(Collins-Holzknecht 11', 20', Kyrow 57', Del Toro 81', Bailey 90'+2')
Memorial Stadium, Edwardton

Image Kernansquillec 4 - 2 RealSquad Image
(Noupen 4', De Luca 40', 62', Lilac 54', / Bob 78', 79')
The National Stadium, Kernansquillec City

# Group 2                     Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts   Form
1 Barunia 6 3 3 0 13 4 +9 12 XDWXWW
2 The Sarian 5 3 2 0 9 3 +6 11 DDW-WW
3 Kernansquillec 5 3 1 1 13 12 +1 10 WX-WLW
4 Garifunya 5 1 3 1 9 8 +1 6 -XXXWL
5 Britonisea 5 1 2 2 10 11 −1 5 DWXL-L
6 Dreamplanet 5 1 0 4 12 20 −8 3 LLLWL- Qualification position
7 RealSquad 5 0 1 4 8 16 −8 1 X-LLLL Playoff position
Winners of the 17th Rugby Union World Cup
Domestic Newswire ~ Football: 66th ~ UICA: 44th ~ Handball: 3rd
WANT A KIT? K KITS CAN HELP

Runners-up at Copa Rushmori XXI and at the XIV Handball World Cup
3rd Place at the WSWC I
4th Place at the 42nd Baptism of Fire & 19th Di Bradini Cup
Qualified for the 57th, 73rd and 74th World Cups

Kandorith
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Capitalizt

Postby Kandorith » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:04 am

Inspired Kandorith Hits Hard

Kandorith 3–0 Copper Cuprum

With the Kandorese team on a streak during the qualifications, the Red Dragons don't stop amazing g the home crowd. The home fans saw a disappoibefore, result before, but the team made up forfor it with the match against Copper Cuprum.

Where the Kandorese team lacked before, in the scoring department, they absolutely proved themselves tonigh. Kandorith won with convincin, yet very controlled three to nill. The home crowd remains amazed by the recent results of their home team. Never has Kandorith been this solid in their qualification campaigns. The current team synergy shows the ability of Huangzhou's and his vision on Kandorese football. The remaining expectations of Kandorith remain high and the fans are looking forward to this.
Great Empire of Kanyori | 大宮来国 | Arashi Kanyori Yokoku

Overview | Constitution | Anthem | Imperial Anthem | Armed Forces | Foreign Affairs | Emperor

Hikari Kyoyu Headlines:
BREAKING NEWS: LDP wins elections in landslide though Yoshiro Murakami will not return as prime minister they stated. | Latest technology showcased at the Empress Masumi Stadium as the January Tech Summit starts for the weekend | CDP claims LDP stole the election and will take legal steps against the election results

Natanians and Nosts
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Natanians and Nosts » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:16 am

Natanians and Nosts won its last game against Aeqamustopia with two beautiful goals from Natan Nínnio Gonçalo.Our team got a bye,but not a vacation,the coach's foucs was the deffense and the speed,and there'll be two changes for the next game,Logan North will start in the place of Gabriel Ápio Silva and Gheorghe Caius Fostar will start instead of Mihai Júlio da Silva.
Our players are confident about the next game,Lucas Lucius Vit told me yesterday that "I think that we can win more games just like the one we won today.And even if we lose the next game,I am happy that God let us win one game at htis important championship!",and Gabriel Ápio Silva "I just think that God helped us a lot,and when I was changed by Logan I was quite sad,'cause I was goin' out,but when he made the pass for ou first goal I became happier.Also I asked to the coach If he could enter in my place,because it seems he brought some kind of quality for us,but I'll keep training to score more!".The coach said that he's making a strategy similar to the one against Aeqamustopia and he's showing videos to the players.
Champions of the Londinium 7s Tournament II!!! fourth place in AVBF 7s,Plate champion at AVBF 7s III,URSA 7s 2 and Watson's Bay Int'l and also:
we reached the play-ins at WLC 22,quarter finals at WLC 26 and WLC 27 and Ro16 at WLC 28!
Hosted:WLC 27

International Geese Brigade - Celebrating 0 Radiation and 3rd Place!
Proud Esportivan since November 2016[/align]

Eastfield Lodge
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 23, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Eastfield Lodge » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:54 am

The Lodger Online Gazette

| HOME | TOP NEWS: EASTFIELD LODGE | TOP NEWS: IMPERIAL COMMONWEALTH | RUSHMORE | WORLD | HEALTH | TECHNOLOGY | SPORT |
| ECONOMY | SCIENCE | POLITICS | EDUCATION | ENTERTAINMENT | LOCAL | FEATURES | WEATHER |

Sport >>> Football

Eastfield Lodge torn apart like a Bull in a china shop

Audioslavia 4-1 Eastfield Lodge

Audioslavia (4-4-2): Patterick – Caceres, Goicoechea (Rouy – 75’), Varisco, Corbijn – Landhuis, Hufschmied (c), Jovellanos (Etxezuniyiga – 68’), Vengochea – Rodriguez-Torrejon, Caszely (Kryznjak – 68’)

Eastfield Lodge (4-1-2-3): Puppy – Bell Jnr, Richardson (Sent Off – 34’), Rehman, Siddique (Finn 56’) – Keeble (Wallis-Iqbal 70’), Doctor, Saqib (Lumo 34’) – Quazin, Qwivotic, Graham

It was always going to be a tall order to travel to the home of the two-time World Cup champions and come away with a result of any kind. But there was a widespread feeling, prior to the start of the qualifying campaign, that we would be able to at least provide a challenging match to the Bulls. However, after twice squandering a two goal lead against Chiata and losing 5-4 to them at home, and coupled with the embarrassing defeat at home to the Emirate of Akbarstan a few weeks ago, confidence wasn’t at an all-time high going into this match, and there was a feeling of doom and gloom in the air amongst the travelling supporters.

Audioslavia came into the game unbeaten in 4 games, 3 points ahead of Chiata, Nassau-Hessen and Akbarstan, with us a point behind. So it was a good chance for the Bulls to effectively knock us out of the race for the automatic qualification spot in Group 3 – not that we expected to finish that high. To that end, Audioslavian manager Kajaxo Imaslavii opted a name a very strong side, with only veteran Aitor Jovellanos on the left wing not from the nominally strongest Audioslavian XI. For the away team, Lowell Brown had no choice but to name his strongest possible XI – Dennis Jagger hadn’t fully recovered from his injury in the Chiata match that lead to our spectacular choke so Daniel Keeble came back into the side. Georgina Wadimu made way for Fedrea Quazin on the wing, but otherwise the side was unchanged.

Both sides started off cautiously, as neither side wanted to be caught on the counter – a tactic that Audioslavia have been using to reasonable success thus far in their qualifying campaign. The first clear cut opportunity went the way of the hosts 9 minutes into the game, as a Jovellanos long ball caught the central pair of Bell and Richardson off-guard, letting Caszely drift in between them – however, he was just too small to make proper contact, and the ball span away from goal and wide, much to the relief of the Eastfielder defenders. The next ten minutes went much the same way as well, as Audioslavia realised we weren’t going to attack and decided to crank up the pressure – Hufschmied found himself unmarked a few metres out of the box, and with a one-time shot he curled the ball onto the post and back into play, but Rehman mopped that situation up. Veronica Puppy was kept busy in the goal as well, having to make several saves of all calibre, including a point-blank block from an onrushing Rodriguez-Torrington.
Eastfield Lodge started to come out of their shell after 20 minutes of sitting back and absorbing Audioslavian pressure, with Daniel Keeble playing a pinpoint ball behind Corbijn for Roman Qwivotic to run onto – his cross was met by the head of Thomas Graham, but Sean Patterick in the Audioslavian goal was equal to the header, pushing it over the bar; Graham followed that effort up minutes later with a half-volley off Fedrea Quazin’s cross that fizzed past the post, with Patterick quite flat-footed. But then the whole game became undone, as Jovellanos’ through ball split the Eastfielder defence and let Caszely run onto the ball, with Richardson in hot pursuit. Caszely dribbled into the box, but going away from goal – he cut back, Richardson did not have time to react, and ran right through Caszely trailing leg, which was the perfect opportunity for the striker to roll around on the ground writhing.

The referee was not impresses with that tackle, and decided that, despite Caszely going away from goal and with two other defenders closing in on him, that Richardson was the last man and that he denied a clear goal-scoring opportunity, and promptly sent him off. That activated a flurry on the Eastfielder bench, and Brown decided that defence was the first priority, taking off attacking midfielder Waleed Saqib and putting on centre back Juan Lumo – the Doctor dropped back and sat alongside Daniel Keeble to help solidify the defence. But first, it was the matter of the penalty, and it was calmly converted by Caszely, firing into the roof of the net and down the middle with Puppy diving to the side. Audioslavia were 1-0 up at 34 minutes and from then on, it was one-way traffic, and the Bulls were having it all their own way. They doubled their lead 3 minutes before first half stoppage time, with Jovellanos again the master creator – his give and go with the overlapping Varisco saw him cut inside Keeble and into a yard of space, which was all he needed to feint a shot and then chip the ball past the flat-footed Lumo for Rodriguez-Torrington to catch on the volley into the far corner. It was a spectacular move, with a great finish to match, but more importantly, that put the scoreline at 2-0, and that was enough to convince most people the game was settled – it was a just a matter of how many.

In the second half, Eastfield Lodge had evidently changed their plans, with the Doctor and Keeble playing in more advanced positions and the wingers dropping a little deeper to form a 4-4-1. And it worked, for a while, as the midfield supply channels were much harder to play through, especially as the Audioslavians were making sure they wouldn’t be counter-attacked. But that defensive solidity wouldn’t last for very long, as young left back Hamaad Siddique didn’t get up after going in to dispossess Vengochea – he had to be stretchered off, although later scans showed that the injury wasn’t as serious as first thought, and he may be able to return for the start of the second half of qualifying. Even though he was replaced by the very capable Darlene Finn, the injury and stoppage to play was enough to reduce concentration levels – a fact that was capitalized upon by the opponents. Landhuis received the ball in acres of space, and had the wit about him to spot Caszely’s run in front of him – the through ball caught out Finn, and Caszely fired the ball low and across goal; Rodriguez-Torrington’s outstretched leg got the smallest of touches on it, which was enough to divert it off course and onto the tip of Dylan Bell Jnr’s boot, and then into the net. Rodriguez-Torrington wheeled away claiming the goal, but it was a Dylan Bell Jnr own goal.

3-0 up at 68 minutes, Audioslavia seemed to switch into cruise control mode, with Imaslavii bringing on Dragan Kryznjak for Espiridón Caszely and Aitor Jovellanos coming off for Txordinutzko Etxezuniyiga – like-for-like changes, but just an injection of fresh legs to keep the scoreline where it was. At that point, the fans had had enough of the slightly negative play, and were starting to urge the players forward to attack. And it was enough to convince Lowell Brown to play a gambit, and in the 70th minute, young Methuselah Wallis-Iqbal was brought on for Daniel Keeble. That move left the defence a little exposed, but the attacking potential had gone up massively, and it almost paid immediate dividends, as Wallis-Iqbal played in Roman Qwivotic behind Corbijn, and his shot was parried wide of the post. Fedrea Quazin on the other flank had an opportunity as well, dispossessing a slightly lax Landhuis and taking a pop at goal, which had only just went wide but the sprawling Patterick might not have reached it if it was on target.

And then in the 75th minute, a consolation was grabbed; the Doctor had turned Landhuis when receiving the ball from Finn, and was running straight at the defence, four people ahead of him all making distracting runs as well. It worked, as the space opened up for the Time Lord, and his shot was spilled by Patterick – but Graham was on hand to tuck the loose ball home and peg the opposition back to 3-1. That state of affairs wouldn’t last, but it was a shock to the system, and a good way to restore some confidence. Audioslavia backed off, and drew a tight defensive line around themselves to see the match out. It was effective, as the Eastfield Lodge team could not find a way through and were reduced to pot shots from distance – still enough to draw great saves from Patterick in the Bulls net. It was the one Bulls attack in the 87th minute that saw out the match at 4-1 – a Vengochea shot was blocked by Dylan Bell Jnr, and went out for a corner. And at 6’3”, Dragan Kryznjak was the obvious attacking threat. And despite Juan Lumo’s efforts, the ball cleared him but was at the perfect height for Kryznjak to smash back downwards and into the net. 4-1 to Audioslavia, final score.

Next match for the Eastfield Lodge team is a home match against Nassau-Hessen, ranked 75th in the world, only ten places below us. Which means that we’re pretty evenly matched, but hopefully, the home support and that good performance against the top seeds in the group will be enough to take into the mid-qualifying break on a high note, and maybe a small shout at getting into the playoffs.

Most popular stories:
- Live: Debate on Commonwealth Restructuring
- ICELFA open nominations for NSWC Player Hall of Fame shortlist
- Local council in Pedantic Republic laughed out of office for suggesting implementation of Grammar Re-Education Camps
- MSM and SinVal announce intention to return to WGPC racing “in the near future”.
- Unusually warm weather in Port Lodgertia sees sales of ice cream and miniature fans at all-time high

Nui-ta 1-2 Eastfield Lodge
Team: Wood – Lamy, Bell Jnr, Summers, Finn – Jagger (Keeble – 60’), Wallis-Iqbal (Saqib – 60’), The Doctor – Wadimu (Quazin – 72’), Qwivotic, Drenas
Goals: Tia Drenas (34’), The Doctor (54’)
Assists: Finn (54’)

Eastfield Lodge 1-2 Emirate of Akbarstan
Team: Mintson – Bell Jnr, Richardson, Summers (Rehman – 67’), Siddique – Jagger, The Doctor, King (Saqib – 78’) – Quazin, Rathun, Graham (Drenas – 74’)
Goals: Graham (41’ pen)

Fluvique 2-4 Eastfield Lodge
Team: Puppy – Bell Jnr, Richardson, Rehman, Siddique (Finn – 69’) – Jagger (Keeble – 69’), The Doctor, Saqib (King – 78’) – Quazin, Qwivotic, Graham
Goals: Rehman (18’), Saqib (31’), Graham (42’), Graham (56’)
Assists: Qwivotic (18’), Qwivotic (42’), Qwivotic (56’)

Eastfield Lodge 4-5 Chiata
Team: Puppy – Bell Jnr, Richardson, Rehman (Summers – 75’), Siddique – Jagger (Keeble – 53’), The Doctor, Saqib (King – 75’) – Wadimu, Qwivotic, Graham
Goals: Qwivotic (14’), Jagger (35’), Graham (52’), Keeble (62’)
Chiatan goal-times: 21’, 57’, 68’, 74’, 84’
Assists: The Doctor (14’), The Doctor (52’), Wadimu (62’)

Team to play Nassau-Hessen: Puppy – Dylan Bell Jnr, Juan Lumo, Abdur Rehman, Darlene Finn – Dennis Jagger, The Doctor, Samantha King – Georgina Wadimu, Fedrea Quazin, Thomas Graham
Economic Left/Right: -5.01 (formerly -5.88)
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.31 (formerly 2.36)
ISideWith UK
My motto translates to: "All Eat Fish and Chips!"
First person to post the 10,000th reply to a thread on these forums.
International Geese Brigade - Celebrating 0 Radiation and 3rd Place!
info to be added
stuff to be added
This nation partially represents my political, social and economic views.

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004

Postby Krytenia » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:02 am

Still Got A Schott
by Trevor O'Carroll in Handon, Schottia

THEY call it "The Sophomore Slump". When a new band comes on their scene, and they're good, their first album is always received with rave reviews. The problem comes with following that up. There are certain standards to be expected, a certain amount of hype to live up to. That expectation, that hype, can sometimes be well above the usual capabilities of the band, and their resulting work, whilst not necessarily bad, cannot hit the spectacular heights of their debut.

So it is with football. Krytenia's return in the last World Cup was glorious. Nobody seriously expected the Aces to even reach the playoffs - not even their own fans. To qualify automatically, to advance to the second round, and then to go out to the Vanors only after an extra half hour was required...the world stopped and stared awhile at these sky blue party crashers. And it felt good.

Now, though, comes the follow-up. To be fair, Keyne Island aside, it's not been too bad. Yes, so Mertagne hit us for seven, but they were completely unplayable that night. Not even the famous Pasarga could have dealt with that onslaught. True, we started with a stuttering draw against Sameba, but again, look at how they've done since and suddenly that result looks quite decent. Add in wins against Alastonia and Volcanoc, and things are not as bad as they appear.

The problem, though, is comparing this campaign to the last. Too many dropped points this time have seen the Aces slip to five points behind the leaders. Thankfully, though, that's down from eight thanks to Alastonia, and Mertagne are taking a gameday off to allow the pack to catch up.

Krytenia, at this point, are still masters of their own destiny in a group where only two points separate five teams. Win all seven from here on out, and we're in the finals. It all starts here in the south of Schottia. Two sides with only eight places in the rankings between them, both knowing that victory will make the daunting task of attempting to qualify that little bit easier. Krytenia need three points from tonight's game, regardless of what happens anywhere else. And if the likes of Keyne Island can do us a favour, all the better.
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

The Saint James Islands
Ambassador

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Saint James Islands » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:06 am

(For Osarius’s benefit: Jan-Nikläs Rosenkränts scored the first Omerica goal, Kai Eko the second and Neama Iokua the third. I’ll leave you to decide when and how, as well as your own scorers.)
Image world news
|omerica| |politics| |esportiva| |world| |sports| |culture| |science| |travel| |weird world|
#omericavotes21: who would benefit from electoral reform?
would reform mean trouble for the socialists or someone else?

Georgetown — The Liberals have officially pledged themselves to electoral reform, much to the chagrin of Aleksänder Mätjassen’s Nationals, who have officially warned of “eternally hung parliaments and revolving-door governments” and even condemned the system as unconstitutional.

But before anyone raises too many alarm bells, electoral reform could take many flavours. The ranked ballot flavour is a lot different from the proportional representation flavour. So who benefits and who loses from each?

PR would almost certainly hurt the Socialists, Nationals and Confederation, all of whom benefit massively from the current system. A proportional system would benefit the Liberals slightly, but would do far more to aid small parties such as Movement 1988 and the Democratic Labour Party. Aleksänder Mätjassen is within reason to say that PR would result in “eternally hung parliaments”, but charging that it would mean revolving-door governments is a bit much, especially considering the number of countries that use such systems without experiencing massive instability.

A PR system would not drastically affect the ballot. A voter would still go into the polling station and place a cross on the ballot next to their choice, but instead of choosing a candidate, they would be choosing a party. It has the simultaneous advantages of not tinkering with ballot design too much and recognising that most voters are choosing a party, not a candidate, but it is not a system that is used anywhere in the country. No cantonal or local assembly uses PR, so to move the Commonwealth Parliament to such a system would be a drastic change.

Ranked ballots, however, would be a much more likely choice for the Liberals. Under the alternative vote system, not much would change. Omerica would still be divided into 288 electorates that choose one MP to send back to Parliament. The big differences are that voters can rank candidates on the ballot and a candidate has to win a majority of votes to be elected an MP. If no one wins a majority, the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated and their votes redistributed to voters’ next choice.

The ranked ballot system will not guarantee a hung parliament. It is perfectly plausible that a party could win a majority of seats under the system, but it reduces the likelihood that a divided left or a divided right could hand election victories over to the other side. It might also help minor parties, but not immensely so compared to a party list system.

Under a ranked system, it is not implausible to state that the Liberals would gain more massively than minor parties. In electorates that are marginal between Liberals and Nationals, Socialist voters can preference the Liberal ahead of the National to prevent a candidate they do not like from being elected. The same goes for National voters preferencing Liberal candidates in marginal Liberal-Socialist electorates. And in electorates that are marginal between the Socialists and Nationals, the Liberal voters would hold the balance of power between the two.

It is little wonder that John Timms expressed his support for a ranked system four years ago. And it is not as if the system is completely unfamiliar to Omericans. Ten cantons currently use the system, currently have satisfied voters and currently have no problems with revolving-door governments or eternally hung assemblies. The system has also been proposed for presidential elections so as to cut down on the cost of holding two ballots. While the legality of switching presidential elections to the AV system is suspect, nothing in the constitution specifies how MPs must be elected.

As a Socialist spokesperson said on Twitter, John Timms may be trying to ensure the future relevance of his party, but he is not doing anything wrong to explore alternate ways of electing parliamentarians, not to mention that the Socialists and Nationals may just become far more competitive in far more electorates if Timms gets his way.
for your reading pleasure
  • World Cup Challenge 73: Pick your qualifiers for Apox-Québec
  • Omerica 3-2 Osarius: Firebirds upset by Les Oiseaux in Philibiscostal
  • Coleraine Socialist candidate forced to withdraw after social media posts surface
  • TAO “uncomfortable” sending players to Kaboomlandia, Archambault to sent second-string side

Turanga ʻAhipula ʻo ʻOmerika
6 Jacques la Rouge Road
Port-Alexandre, Philibiscostal 18-A40
COMMONWEALTH OF OMERICA
Official Press Release - Tuku Katipa Hoi ʻe Pieti

Qualifiers for the Seventy-Third World Cup
Omerica national team line-up vs Kaboomlandia (away)
Substitutes
GK - No 1: INTAN Petera
GK - No 25: John MARTIN
LD - No 26: Red MILLHOUSE
CD - No 29: Keone MAKAIO
CD - No 27: Tre URISTSON
RD - No 28: Ansel RYAN
CM - No 30: Ryan ANDSEN
CM - No 31: Kairo KAMARANI
AM - No 32: Casimir PAQUET
LF - No 33: Martin ALTING
ST - No 34: Tii ʻO UIREMA
RF - No 35: Georges ROUSSEAU
Starting eleven
GK - No 13: Stéphane ROUSSEAU
LD - No 14: Martin PALL
CD - No 17: Jean-Marie MOLINEAUX
CD - No 15: Makara ʻO TOA
RD - No 16: Mikäel CHRISTOPHE
CM - No 18: William PARNELL
CM - No 19: Tömas DE VRIKT
AM - No 20: Raia TURI
LF - No 21: Red TYLER
ST - No 22: John PERCIVAL
RF - No 23: Ryan CASSIDY

Omerica’s top scorers
John Percival - 3 goals
Georges Rousseau - 2 goals
Tömas de Vrikt - 2 goal
Neama Iokua - 2 goals
Tii ʻo Uirema - 1 goal
Casimir Paquet - 1 goal
Jan-Nikläs Rosenkränts - 1 goal
Kai Eko - 1 goal
Last edited by The Saint James Islands on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Classical republican, environmental student
Pro: Parliamentarism, civic virtue, positive liberty, soft Euroscepticism, the scientific method, facts
Anti: Presidentialism, authoritarianism, corruption, populism, hard Euroscepticism, misinformation
IC posts made by this nation are non-canonical.
This nation does not reflect my actual political views.
Do not use orally after using rectally.
Guilherme Magalhães
Senator for Ilhas de Santiago Ocidentais
Staunchly independent
[23:53] <StJames> ^fake news^

The death of the West will not be a homicide, but a suicide.

Britonisea
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 29, 2012

Disgusting: The Football Play (3+ Characters)

Postby Britonisea » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:42 am

Disgusting
An original play for a KEWQAE Board

ACT ONE; SCENE ONE

Timothy: I thought that the match against Kernansquillec went better than we predicted, we thought that we wouldn't get any points, but we managed to do so.
Sebastian: No. We didn't do well, it was a disgusting result, I can't even bare to look at it. Please take it off the screen before I do something I regret.
Timothy: *Turns off the television* Right, I think that we just needed to...pass the ball more often and not be ball hoggers?
Sebastian: No, we done that well too. *Stands up* I just think this edition isn't Britonisea's edition.
Timothy: No. You can't keep on saying that every year we "Fail" in the competition. We are only half way, we could make a quick recovery. Especially against The Sarian, RealSquad and Dreamplanet.
Sebastian: I wouldn't be surprised if they beat us either. I have to say that it isn't our competition because if I do, I won't be surprised when we end up at the bottom of the table.
Timothy: No. Do you think Ricardo Toli gave up when he dropped 24 places, about, in the tennis league? Do you think that Britonisea gave up when they didn't do well in Multi-Sports Events? Do you think the Olympic Committee gave up when they didn't get any bids? Well let me tell you something. Ricardo helped others to rise on the league. Britonisea did well in Electrum in their mini-games, The Olympic Committee extended the date for Summer Games bids, and guess what, we have a host. So stop giving up, The Britonish Football Team won't. And they won't get anywhere if we don't support them.
Sebastian: That's the problem. They won't even qualify, with this, what they call "Best of Football Playing". Britonisea has disappointed the football world of their sporting talents.
Timothy: *Drags Sebastian down* Listen, yes, we have done bad in the past but there will be a day where we are triumphant. Or go through to the play-offs. That works too.
Sebastian: We won't go to the Play-offs. And even if we did, we would get beaten by other teams so we wouldn't have a chance of playing in the real cup.
Timothy: Lies. Have faith.
Sebastian: Having faith for a team that's literally rubbish is literally rubbish.
Timothy: *Confused* You make no sense Seb.
Sebastian: I know.
Timothy: How about we go to the Barunia match. It is down the road in the National Stadium and I think that there are some extra tickets.
Sebastian: Fine. I'll go but don''t expect me wearing Britonish colours.
Timothy: Fine *Pulls something out of his pocket*
Sebastian: *Shouts* Dude! I hope that ain't a gun!
Timothy: *Pats Sebastian on the head* No, dear friend. It is tickets to the Dreamplanet vs Britonisea match, we will be travelling to the Olympic Stadium in Doportedas.
Sebastian: Ah, Doportedas.
Timothy: So support us there!
Sebastian: Anyways, what else will you be doing today?
Timothy: Well I am planning to watch Group 13s matches and then I'll be going to sleep.
Sebastian: Cool, see you in the morning, we'll need to refuel for the long match.

Sebastian then exits dr while Timothy is still on his coach. He turns on the television and he starts watching a match. He looks at the match closely, though he gets bored really quickly and then turns the television to the next channel. He then watches more things about football. He then sighs and walks up to the television and grips it with his hands

Timothy: Why? Everywhere I go, Every station I go to, football is thrown in my face. *Looks at the television* I really don't understand why football is even popular. The World Cup! Pffft. I walk in to school everyday and the group of boys start harassing me about the game with San Jose Guayabal or the match with Polkopia, or the match with Gregoryis- *Turns the channel to the next station* I am stuck here watching BVC Kids. You know, I just got those tickets for Sebastian. I don't really want to go to a football match. I just want to go to Doportedas or Sports City or Telm City or Eaux. Forget the football match. I think I might just ditch him. I am not sure, I haven't quite planned it out yet. I am sorry I am an outcast of a football driven society. You can force me to like football. *Bangs the television* Stop. Stop. Stop. Please, Stop. *Drops to the floor* Possibly it'll be over with tomorrow. One can hope.

Timothy exits the stage dl while Sebastian comes on to the stage. The television was on the floor and Sebastian paused to look at it. He notices them it has been smashed and picks it up. He inspects it and sits on the chair. He turns on the television to find it on the Kids Channel, he then laughs and thinks to himself. He then starts to think about his thoughts aloud.

Sebastian: No call, No text and a smashed television screen. Interesting. Maybe he killed himself! Poor Timothy, he had such a long life ahead of him. Timothy. *Scratches head* Timothy. He's a good friend, he wouldn't hide anything away from me. Would he? No, No, No, he wouldn't, I don't understand what I am thinking about. But, when I am at school, he always walks away from me when I am around my friends. Speaking about football. I hope he is still coming, I would love those tickets to see the Barunia match. I hope he is coming.

ACT ONE; SCENE TWO
Sebastian exits the stage cr as 20 people wearing suits and colourful outfits flood the stage, there were noise of the city. The stage changed dramatically from how it was before. The television was placed facing the audience and is a part of a television selling company. A group of the civilians then looked at the television which was showing football results. The local shop next to the company had World Cup merchandise labelled outside it. An accurate cardboard cut out of a cab came rolling through the stage from cl to cr. It had pictures of the Britonish Football team for the Barunia match on it.

Sebastian: Isn't this amazing. We crossed the waters to get to Sports City! *Breaths in deeply* It smells different, It smells nicer. Come on Timothy, be a bit happier.

Sebastian then punches Timothy and Timothy holds his arm in agony. Sebastian then runs in side one of the corner shops.

Timothy: *Shouts* I'll be waiting out here! *Looks around and gets pushed around by the locals of Sports City* Ah, Urgh, Excuse me. Excuse me! Excuse me!

A teenage girl, around the same age as Seb and Tim stops and looks at Timothy. She then smiles, which makes Timothy smile. She then ties her shoe lace as Timothy still stares.

Jenna: Hello. I am Jenna, you needed something? *Getting up*
Timothy: *Pauses* Urgh.
Jenna: Hello? *snaps her fingers* Are you okay? *Giggles*
Timothy: Ah, sorry. I am Timothy. I was going to ask if you know where the National Stadium is?
Jenna: Oh yeah! I know! I am going there now, I love football you see.
Timothy: Oh another one.
Jenna: I am sorry, what?

As Timothy opened his mouth, Sebastian came running out of the corner shop and jumps on Timothy. He then notices the girl and his jaw drops. The girl crosses her hands and raised her eyebrow at Sebastian.

Jenna: Your friends ecstatic.
Sebastian: Yes, I am. How about, me, you, National Stadium, date?
Timothy: *shouts trying to get past Sebastian and Jenna* With my ticke-
Jenna: Well I am heading straight there now! *Smiles*
Sebastian: That's settled then. Me and you, let's go, tickets on me.
Timothy: But Seb-

Sebastian and Jenna walked forward in a quicker pace and Timothy is left by himself. In the middle of a big city by himself. He was given a grant, he didn't have to go to the big match, and he had at least 120 minutes to burn. As Jenna and Sebastian exit cr Timothy stays on the stage. Song "#1 What do I do now?" starts.

Timothy: (Sings)
WHAT DO I DO NOW?
ALONE, BY MYSELF, WHAT DO I DO?
BARUNIA TAKES THE STAGE IN THE STADIUM
DIVIDED ATTENTION ON THEM
HERE, BY MESELF, IN THE CITY OF SPORT.
I COULD GO TO OLYMPUS MOUNT.
I FEEL ISOLATED.
SECLUDED.
BUT I WILL SURVIVE IT ALL.
WHAT DO I DO KNOW?
ALONE, BY MYSELF, WHAT DO I DO?
THE BRITS TRY TO BEAT BARUNIA
THEY WON'T SUCCEED,
But what do I care, I am not a football kid.

Exeunt

ACT TWO; SCENE ONE

Sebastian and Jenna enters the stage by themselves. They sit on a park bench and they decide to speak about the match.

Sebastian: Well that was embarrassing, right?
Jenna: *In tears* Yes, I wanted Britonisea to win, but that's something that'll never happen.
Sebastian: Three, Zero.
Jenna: I really wanted...to witness them tak-
Sebastian: TIM.
Jenna: You mean, your weird friend?
Sebastian: He isn't weird. Just...interesting.
Jenna: Cool, whatever.

The music starts of "#2 Where is he?"

Sebastian: Where is he?
Jenna: I don't know don't ask me!
Sebastian: *Getting up* Where is he?
Jenna: Why do you keep asking me this?
Sebastian: Come on Jenna, tell me!
Jenna: (SINGS)
I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY DON'T KNOW!
WE NEED TO LOOK UP AND DOWN FOR HIM, THE BIG DOPE.
WE REALLY, NEED TO FIND HIM.
OR MY BOYFRIEND WILL BANG ON ABOUT IT ALL DAY.

Sebastian: Wait. *Music stops* I am your...your...*Timothy enters dr*

Sebastian: (Sings)
THERE YOU ARE. YOU ARE HERE!
NO MORE ASKING WHY, WHY THIS WHY THAT,
BECAUSE...YOU ARE HERE, RIGHT NOW.
WHERE DID YOU GO?

Timothy: Can't I have freedom?
Sebastian: What?

Exeunt
Rexubliqué Univexserellué de Brityunik #BRI
Follow Britonish Television on Twitter: TVBBritonisea
WorldVision Top 9 | WorldVision Factbook
1st - 162 points - WV112 (314 J+T)
1st - 154 points - WV81
1st - 139 points - WV47
1st - 138 points - WV99 (258 J+T)
1st - 134 points - WV87 (242 J+T)
1st - 132 points - WV73
1st - 117 points - WV64
1st - 113 points - WV41
1st - 98 points - WV63

World Hit Festival Top 9 | World Hit Festival Factbook
1st - 51 points - WHF50
1st - 42 points - WHF59
1st - 38 points - WHF52
1st - 34 points - WHF42
1st - 34 points - WHF48
1st - 33 points - WHF68
1st - 28 points - WHF46
1st - 28 points - WHF37
1st - 20 points - WHF26

Eura
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Eura » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:58 am

A crack of thunder brought down the hurtling rain in the centre of the sprawling metropolis of Harther, one of Eura's several megacities and an industrial centre. The weather was poor today, but nevertheless the city was buzzing as usual, swamped by several million commuters and shoppers going about their everyday activities over an area stretching for miles, with only so much public transport to use for all of them. The tempestuous conditions of Eura's vast western steppes were not putting off two people who knew each other very well, had done for many years, and were just going through their daily routine in keeping that relationship going. Who says long term work based friendships are boring? She was in her early forties and he was in his late thirties, and they met at the Rolling Persons Cafe, a cute little venue on the corner of Steel Square. It wasn't their usual spot, but it was good enough. They knew each other so well they didn't even need to say hello. She sat down, he said "tea, milk, sugar", she nodded, and off he went to the counter. Routine was the name of the game for these two. Except for one thing; their jobs. They were, or had both been for much of their careers, special branch officers for the police, which in this day and age was effectively a security services job. She had moved up the ranks now, well up them, and was a senior officer in the central government department handling police discipline. He was still "in the trade", as they liked to call it, at a much more senior level though. After a moment of contemplating silence, they spoke to one another. 'Any luck with the house Gareth?'
'No, sadly not. Julie still wants to sell but I don't think we've got a chance. Autumn window has gone and all that. You?'
'Oh, I'd just love to have a house!'
'Yeah, swanky apartment, I feel so sorry for you.'

After another pause, it became clear that both of them were gazing around to see how busy the place was. It was as quiet as you could get in a Euran city in the middle of the day, so not particularly. 'Gareth, what did you want to ask? Really?'
'Alright. Back in the trade days, what did you start out as?'
'Something barely more interesting than what I'm doing now. If I have to pull another DI's todger out of a Szavodan girl I'll probably hand in my notice.' Gareth laughed but he made sure to bring conversation back to the topic right away. 'Look, I know it was a while ago, but really. You started on green oppos, right?'
'Green oppos?'
'Sorry, new lingo. Sameba.'
'Ah. The green and sceptered shithole.'
'Right. Well, they've moved me on to that, for a bit at least, and I've finally been given a chance to push a concept for a digging operation. I've had an idea and I wanted to sound it out by you.'
'Right. You're aware that I was very junior and this was a long time ago right?'
'Yes, but you might be in the know I think. One of the indicators of a good opportunity to get sources over the DZ has always been international sources, right? Foreigners without loyalty to the country, let alone the regime.'
'Of course. As long as we can rely on them and they are not too obvious.'
'Ok then. What about the football team?'

For a moment she looked at him incredulously. 'What, the football team? Come on, you know how it is. All their people in Eura are either loyal or smart enough to stay out of the politics, or just don't care because they're street kids who picked up a ball one day, kicked it and haven't done much else.'
'Right, but I heard there was an exception. I mean, am I wrong?'
'I-' She paused and looked down at the table, questioning herself as to whether or not she should continue on the topic. 'Ok, fine, you're not wrong. I shouldn't really tell you, but, well, you're still in the trade. I can trust you.'
'You certainly can when I haven't had gin.'
'Haha, yeah, right. Well, anyway, there was one. Hows your football knowledge Gareth?'
'Better than yours I expect.'
'Ok. Do you remember Marco Reja?' He stayed silent for a moment, and then his eyes widened in shock. 'No way.'
'Yes way. Reya was, on the surface, a Sameban patriot. He was the best player in their domestic league in midfield for a few years about a decade ago, but was never capped, and retired early. At just 29.'
'Because we turned him?'
'No, we didn't have to. It was all a front. One half of the guys family wasn't Sameban, the other half got purged after the last war. He was an orphan and got a scholarship at an academy in Oakstone, and loves Eura to the bone.'
'So what went wrong?'
'We don't know for sure, but the best bet would be that he got caught. We never heard from him again after a certain cutoff point. Suddenly he's retiring because of an injury he never appeared to have on the pitch and he retires early, and rejects an attempted call up by the unknowing national team manager. Anyway, I think it might have worked if he was more well known and loved, he wasn't around long enough. What we really needed, and should have gone for, was an international figure who they can't just get rid of if it goes wrong, but who has earned their trust already. They would need military contacts too. So the football team is the wrong place to look I'm afraid.' Gareth shook his head. 'No it isn't. That ideal candidate you described? I know just the woman for the job.'
United Federation of Eura - Sporting achievements
Champions: WC66, WC73, CR23, CR27, CR34, CoH 85, Market Cup I, Next Generation Trophy, Gold Medal (Mens Football) Olympics IX
Runner up: WC60, WC72, WC78, CR16, CR20, CR32, CR44, CoH51, COH79
Host: CR24, CR37, BoF60, CR Under 21's and Under 17's

Apox
Minister

Founded: Jun 30, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Apox » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:04 pm

The History of Modern NSSports internationalpost.apx (Newswire) The Apoxian Compendium
Winners: Campionato Esportiva IV, V & XVI, World T20 Championships VI, Imperial Chap Olympiad
Runners-up: CoH 58, World T20 Championships V, Campionato Esportiva XII
Third: Campionato Esportiva XIII
Fourth: Campionato Esportiva VII & XV
Baptism of Fire 50, Cup of Harmony 56, World Cup 69, World Cup 73, World Cup 82
Friendly Cups 2 & 6, World T20 Championships II, Campionato Esportiva IV, VIII, XII & XXIII, GCF Season 4, 8 & 10

Banguela
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Banguela » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:21 pm

We sat next to one another at the blistered bench of Sao Pedro. Neither had asked the other one but some force had pulled us there. He wore the vale blue tracksuit from his club, his hands deep in his pockets as he looked to the festivities that unfolded at the pitch. His receding hairline, that already had been so cruel on him back in his heydays, had almost discovered the barren savannah that formed the sad remains of his coupe at the tender age of 46. I, on the contrary, still had the waving locks from back then but the boy below the black hair had become older, wiser... and slower.

The grin on his face was a tad wider than the one on mine, quite contrary to the stark 4-0 with which my side had just send his back home. It had been an uneven affair either way, a side able to challenge for the title against a third divisionist that lived its Cup dream to the fullest. Nonetheless, the underdogs had fought for every inch of ground, so it could have led to a proud and satisfied assistant coach, but that wasn’t why his cigarette-stained teeth were visible between those thin lips.

Assistant coach, indeed. He never had been the type to lead a group of ambitious youngsters but was clever enough to know that it wasn’t his cup of tea anyway. For bystanders, he often appeared a bit clumsy, saddening and slow even. It took a few long conversations, not an easy task as he hesitated and chewed on every word, to find out that beneath the surface, there was a man with great capacities.

But one who now spend his days with putting out cones, repairing the nets, chatting with the few seniors who attended every training and in general being the jack-of-all-trades of the club where it all once started for him, a long and fruitful career in which his hard work and great attitude allowed him to make the most out of it. Even if all observers, bar the few that happened to know him in person, had forgotten about him and history books upon the development of Banguelan football would only put his name in a footnote, he was not bothered about it. He had enjoyed it all and seen a lot, he said, and that was enough.

I was coming dangerously close to the point where I could lean back and overlook it all as well. Numerous games with the national team, sixteen seasons on end at the highest level, with its ups and downs but always at the pinnacle of the national football firmament. In that same book, not to brag, my name would be written with bold capitals and I know I only did so by giving every training my very best. But there comes the day that does not suffice anymore.

My grin grew more and more sour every second as I ogled how fans lifted Sa Lourenço on their shoulders. Nineteen and with those boisterous moves from the young, not tormented by abundant thoughts and painful tackles. Swift dribbles and coups-de-fraps that had delivered him three magnificent goals and even if it were only an early-round Cup fixture, we both knew that he had finally bounced open the door he was pounding on for quite a bit now. The audience was going mad over this new pearl. His only way was up and mine...

”You’re thinking of the same match, aren’t you,” whispered Carlos Neto, as it was him who sat next to me in the worn-out track suit.
”Transpadana,” I immediately spoke, savouring the sound of every syllable. It had been an unknown, mysterious place back in the day and it hadn’t lost anything of its enigma ever since.
”Each his time,” was the response.

Each his time. That day had been my time. My first starting spot in the national team, against a superior Electrum, had not been a bullseye, to say the least. A bulky duo of central defenders combined with a sense of nerves that disallowed proper eye-hand coordination, let alone top-class football, had led to a terrible match. But, and that much to my surprise, had not caused Joao Ferreira to drop me altogether. The following match, an exciting affair against a strong Acronius, I came in at half time and made the difference, bringing us close to a point.

And then, I started. Against Transpadana. Not Carlos Neto, the more veteran striker who had barred my young ambitions that far but had not managed to find the net that far but a young, hungry striker. My first goal was a gifted moment, one of those incoming balls from the wing with excellent curve on which Chingala had a patent and I struck it in the sweet spot, sending home an anonymous keeper. From that moment on, everything went so easily... And after the last whistle, the match ball being pushed in my arms by grinning teammates, whole Sao Pedro was shouting and chanting my name. Rui! Rui! Rui Mokanga! Not for the last time either. I lifted my hands in the air and felt like the king of the world. No one could beat me.

And for the first time, I wondered if someone was sitting on the bench, next to Carlos.

Schottia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Schottia » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:43 pm

Their Lives

Shall I be Mother?

#19: H. Addison, Defensive Midfielder, Left / Centre

Holly Addison stepped back from the camera, making a couple of adjustments to the kitchen worktop before looking though the lens once again. She was checking how it all framed up, everything had to be perfect right down to the last detail. She made one final adjustment, tilting a wicker basket full of freshly backed bread slightly more into the centre.

'Aaaaand perfect!' She said to herself adamantly, as if to infer that enough was definitely enough. Grabbing a white apron from the hook behind the kitchen door, Holly tied it loosely around the middle of her green and blue floral dress, and hit the camera's self time to start in ten seconds. She had just enough time to check her appearance quickly in a strategically positioned mirror, before tucking a few loose strands of hair behind her ears, and fixing herself with a professional smile.

'Welcome everyone to the next instalment of my vlog: Holly's Country Cookbook. Now since a couple of weeks ago, I did a whole segment on gluten free cooking, and dairy free cakes, I've been inundated with emails from viewers who wanted to know if I had another tips for great vegan or wheat free dishes. Therefore, I've decided to dedicate another episode to this topic, in which I'll cover what are some of my ab-sol-ute favourite recipes!'

The devil makes work for ideal hands, however periods of inactivity can also be surprisingly fruitful. Since Holly and her partner Rowen had arrived in Schottia, fleeing the war in Arcadia, she'd had way more time on her hands. Back home, before the Shalumite invasion, all she had done was train-train-train, and when she wasn't training she was playing football. The sport had been her life. Every spare moment of every day, since the age of twelve, had been preparing her for a career as a professional player. She would have been eligible to play for Shalum, but instead had held out, dreaming that an independent Arcadia would one day grace the world stage.

When war broke out just over a year ago, and the tanks rolled in, there was a scramble as people living in towns along the border were forced to flee for their lives. Many headed for neighbouring countries such as Alemarr, Nordkrusen, and Ortetia - looking for the fastest possible route to safety. Holly and Rowen on the other hand were two of the lucky individuals who made it to Schottia, after the small nation pledged to accept refugees trapped inside the Arcadian border. It had taken them almost a year of waiting to be given the right to stay indefinitely, and with it necessary paperwork to allow them to work. This had been a forgone conclusion, but it had been a tiresome wait for the couple nonetheless; Rowen in particular had not enjoyed the time off.

Holly had been given permission to train with the local development squad, four mornings a week with the view to staying match fit, and she expected a wave of offers from Schottic clubs during the summer. The Schottic Football Association had tried desperately to get her into the Di Bradini Cup squad, however it just hadn’t worked out. Therefore, it had been a pleasant surprise for Holly when she made the provisional twenty-eight for the World Cup qualifiers, where she hoped to get her first competitive match in sixteen months. With everything that had happened, playing for Schottia felt like the right thing to do, and there was now no way she would consider playing for Shalum.

'Now this is my Mother's Roasted Eracuran Vegetable Salsa.' Holly held a heavy stone china bowl up to the camera. 'And this is fantastic with tortilla chips, with salads, or even if you're on a raw food diet it can be a tasty pasta sauce.' She put the bowl down and smiled once more. 'The fab thing about this recipe is that it is sooo... easy to make. All you need are a tin of plum tomatoes, an onion, garlic, a red pepper, and a selection of herbs and spices. I'll put the full list of ingredients in the description below.' She pointed with her finger to where the hypothetical comments section would be.

Cooking had always been Holly's passion, and something that started as an activity to fill the time, had now become an Internet sensation, with hundreds of thousands of followers. Holly had become a household name for her modern-woman style of home cooking, and for getting young people back into the kitchen. With some of the offers and contracts coming in, it was debatable as to whether the 22-year-old would earn more on the pitch or in front of the camera.

'The first thing you need to do, is to find yourself a large bowl or pot.' She held a hefty cream-coloured mixing bowl up to the camera. 'One like this is perfect, but if you don't have any along those lines then you can use a...'

'THAT'S ME BACK!' There was a booming voice, from the other room. Holly had to juggle franticly with the bowl to avoid dropping it; the unexpected intrusting having caught her completely off guard. 'HOLLY? ... HOLLY?' She turned towards the door, knuckles pressed firmly into her hip and eyebrows gathered in a way that said she meant business.

'Rowen.' She said as her partner entered the kitchen. 'What did I tell you just before you went out?'

'Aaargh..' Rowen contorted his face theatrically, realising his mistake. 'I'm so sorry, were you far into the video?' He genuinely was sorry, now that Holly mentioned it he could cast his mind back to being told at length to come in quietly. He had just wanted to take his bike down to the canals, to get a breath of air. While Holly had found a renewed sense of purpose over the last year, he had struggled to deal with being cooped up. He had just had news that his application to work at the print studio had been accepted, and be was buzzing with excitement. Rowen had an illustration degree, but he had done nothing with it, before now a student internship was all he had to show for his troubles.

'I was only about five minutes in.' Said Holly giving him a shifty look from the corner of her eye as she went to stop the camera. 'So it could have been worse. Hey, maybe it can make the outtakes reel?' She went through the menu on the touch screen, setting up a new video. 'Did you work out which bus you'll need to get to work?' She asked changing the subject and letting him off the hook.

'Yeah I think so; I'm guessing I need to get the tram.' He shrugged knowing he should have worked this out before now. 'I'm pretty sure it stops up at the end of our street?' It was something of a guess, but he was certain he had seen it there before.

'Mhm.' Holly nodded in agreement, taking her apron off and placing it down by the cooker, as she prepared to make a pot of tea. 'There is a stop just opposite the little Nalayan deli. You know? The one where I got those olives?' She sloshed out the teapot with a small amount of boiling water to heat it a little, before tipping a few spoonfuls of loose-leaf tea inside.

'That's perfect, I'll get it from there.' He watched Holly refill the pot to the top with fresh water from the kettle. The couple had one of those fancy insulated kettles, which could be used to heat the water to a set temperature. 'Is there enough water in there for me?' He asked finally.

Holly nodded slowly.

'Cool. And speaking of work, have you heard from your agent yet about any offers for next season?' There was no doubt Holly's football career was important to the couple in terms of finance. 'I read online this morning that New Belfast Warriors were interested in you?'

Holly smiled a knowing smile. 'Don't pay too much attention to journalists Row. There is nothing on the table yet, I'll make a decision when the right offer comes along.' She absentmindedly smoothed down her dress where it had become creased under her apron. 'And there are more important things to consider surely; such as location? I'm guessing you want to stay in the area?'

'Well, I mean your work is more important than mine.' He said looking grave. 'I'll find something to do wherever we manage to get settled.'

'Are you not excited about starting the new job though?' She asked seeming surprised. 'It's all you've talked about for weeks, getting back into printmaking. You need to have a life too!' Rowen was the kind of guy who often lacked ambition, and it resulted in him getting frustrated at the lack of activity in his life. It had been a worry for Holly from the outset, that something like this might happen if they set up in Schottia. She was all too aware that her job brought in the most money, but the last thing she wanted was Rowen being dragged from city to city, in pursuit of her career.

'Your the main bread earner though Hol.' He said pouring the tea for both of them, having given the leaves ample time to infuse. He wasn't much of a homemaker, so pouring tea was about as far as it went. The domestic side of things was more Holly's department, and since income was also her remit, it often left people wondering what exactly Darren contributed to the relationship. She knew he would offer to stay home, but very quickly he would start hating it. 'Anyway, speaking of bread...' Much to Holly's horror he tore off a chunk from on of the freshly baked loafs and took it, with his tea, out of the kitchen. 'I'll make sure I stay quite honey, don't you worry!'

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Audioslavia » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:16 pm

Caught in the Middle
Bulls struggling to adapt to Imaslavii's 4-4-2

"As flat as dishwater" was Jeremy Jaffacake's verdict of Audioslavia's team that could only hold Group 3's bottom-feeders Niu Ta to a one-all draw. Jaffacake, as usual, has mixed up his metaphors something chronic, but at the end of his dark tunnel of logic there is a dangling carrot of truth - The Bulls have yet to settle into their new 4-4-2 system.

Those that watched even half an hour of the Niu Ta debacle could have told you exactly what the problem was: Nobody in the centre of the park appears to be capable of short passing, with the exception of Johan Tijgers Landhuis, a player who has been forced to learn how to pass quickly and accurately by years of playing in the Farf league system, wherein those who can't quickly transfer the ball forwards are shot, stuffed and mounted in the Farf Hall of Shame, along with the severed head of that guy in Avenida who once accidentally missed the fourteenth diacritic from the spelling of his first-born's surname.

Landhuis's absense from that starting eleven that faced Niu Ta was critical.

Hufschmied, the captain and a vital part of the central four, is more of a spit-and-sawdust box-to-box midfielder in the kick-and-rush style of Audioslavia's west coast. Crowd-pleasing cross-field balls and forward-ho bombing missions are as bread-and-butter to Hufschmied as compound nouns are to this writer. Swansmith, the thirty-one year old stand-in for Landhuis, is a defensive-minded ball-winner who often seems incapable of selecting the correct pass without his chosen team-mate having signed an official request form in triplicate and waited twenty-eight days for delivery.

The two young wingers, Vengochea and Etxezuniyiga, both act as an efficient supply-chain between defence and attack, receiving the ball in their own half, dancing through the barbed-wire of the opposing defence and delivering the goods to the strikers, who admittedly have been more than capable of converting chances into goals.

The problem is that, without Landhuis, there is really nobody to act as the glue to a talented front five.

Niu Ta, whether they knew so or not, benefited from countless losses of possession by claret-shirted players in otherwise safe areas. Audioslavia went ahead, finally, in the eightieth minute but were pegged back immediately, and an annoyed team just about trod water until the final whistle.

Tuesday's game, the Eastfield Lodge encounter, was less a game, more a conspiracy between the referee and Espiridon Caszely to mug the Rushmori contenders, leaving them bereft of two goals and a prized defender before the end of the first half. By the former's red card after the latter's dive, they effectively killed the game as an athletic contest despite the even-ness of the opening half hour. Future history books will only note the game for it being Jovellanos's ninety-ninth cap (and most inspiring national team performance in years), and Dragan Kryznjak's eigth goal for the national team in only his eighth appearance.

Imaslavii addressed the media only after that second game, and used the final four-one scoreline as an excuse to stick by his four-four-two system.

"We've got plenty of fine midfielders" argued Kajaxo, in between two exhasperated sighs. "Landhuis and Hufschmied are world class. Swansmith or Dallara slot in nicely for the former if Tiger gets injured, and you've got Huelva and Jovellanos chomping at the bit to replace Huffy in the attacking midfield role."

The problem being, of course, that Dallara is a full-back by trade, while Jovellanos and Huelva are wingers who only move into the centre of the park if they really, really have to.

Audioslavia, then, remain dangerous as all hell going forward, so long as they move forward the right way. The lack of intricate passing play in the midfield may result in more starts for the 6'3 Dragan Kryznjak - a very un-Audioslavian move, but one that could make the best use of the current crop Imaslavii has available to him.

The problem is simple. Dragan is a striker, and one nowhere near as accomplished as Caszely and W-RT who are ahead of him in the pecking order. He isn't even as good, in terms of technique, as Izotz Zubia's Apexarena. Where exactly does he fit? Can Imaslavii go four-three-three? Should he go back to 4-5-1? Will Audioslavia ever produce another good central midfielder?

Those, perhaps, are questions for next year's World Cup. Audioslavia should qualify from this lofty position, almost midway through the qualifiers. How they'll stand up to a truly World-Class team is anyone's guess.

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004

Postby Krytenia » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:12 pm

K1K: The Game Of History

MATCH #234: MALLON'S MIRACLE
Krytenia 1-0 Sarzonia, World Cup 28 Group Phase
The Archregimancy, 20 June 2046

Sometimes, it's not the performance, it's the result. Especially when it's a team that's beaten you in all five of your previous meetings.

THE BUILD-UP
"Sarzonia and penalties". There's a reason that this is an idiom in Krytenia for the depressingly inevitable. In truth, of course, only the Aces' first two defeats to the Stars were from twelve yards (three if you include the game that Sarzonia won with an actual penalty rather than a shoot-out win), but the fact that it was the beginning of a run of five consecutive, and usually important, defeats to their Cyanean rivals stuck in the craw somewhat. The side had gone out to an own goal in the previous cup, and were in transition after Phillip Neasden had taken over from Ian Valacci as the Aces boss. He hadn't lasted until the finals, though. Krytenia made it to the finals more through luck than judgment, and a three-nil loss to Turori in their final qualifier had been the last straw for the former striker, who resigned live on television after the match.

The search for a new boss, surprisingly, turned up a Druidan: the nation's former captain, Ricky Mallon. Given a contract to see him through the finals of World Cup XXIX - which would be co-hosted by Krytenia - his brief was simple; get this team on the right track. With a group containing Dance 2 Revolution, Squornshelous, and the side the Aces had never beaten, this might have been a daunting task. Try telling that to Mallon, though; the side battled to a draw with the Pshychoes, and with Sarzonia losing their opener, Krytenia had a beautiful opportunity. Beat Sarzonia, and not only would they break one of football's longest-standing hoodoos, but they'd eliminate the Stars from the competition to boot. Their opponents wouldn't be helped by a dressing-room spat that led to Jarret Sanderson going home early, or a suspension for defensive rock Mike Cole.

THE MATCH
It was a pleasantly warm spring-like atmosphere at the Xenophon-MCG. Of course, this being the Dreamed Realm, it always was. Two teams, two starry flags, two contrasting shades of blue. As always, only one would prevail; as always, the navy was favoured. Sarzonia started the stronger side, playing calm possession football; what they didn't have, though, were chances. Captain Cameron Stevenson, and fellow centre-back Tony Aspell, were making sure of that. Frustration set in as the Krytenians began to see more of the ball, and it allowed the Aces to create some openings of their own. The man who was the main fulcrum behind this was teenager Marlon Friday, who looked like he'd been playing behind the front two all his life. Jeff Comstock was having a hard time of things, and he found himself out of position, allowing Jerome Jaffacake-Phillips to atone for four years ago, with a fizzing shot that left Roger Treadway no chance. Josh Quinnell almost added a second a few minutes later, but shot straight at Treadway with the goal at his mercy.

Missing chances like that can sometimes come back to haunt you. For a brief moment in the second half, it looked like that might be the case. Good build-up play from the Stars allowed Ettore Salviani, not normally part of Sarzonia's starting eleven, space for a chance. Salviani's shot was a good one, but Yannick Nourisse, though never regarded as a great in the Krytenian goal, was a rather handy 'keeper, and his point-blank save denied the New Jerusalem midfielder. As the clock ticked away, a hopeful ball found its way to Sarzonia captain Kevin Wilson; it was only a half-chance, though, and with Aspell bearing down on him, Wilson rushed the shot and blazed it over the bar. With it went Sarzonia's hopes of a point, and when the final whistle blew, it ended Krytenia's inability to beat the men in navy - and Sarzonia's hopes of a second round place along with it.

THE AFTERMATH
Krytenians celebrated as if they'd lifted the trophy; of course, they weren't even in the knockouts yet. A two-nil win over Dance 2 Revolution soon solved that problem, though. In the second round, Krytenia found themselves in Sarzonia's position, defending an undefeated streak over the Orange-Blues of Rejistania. This streak, though, would not be ending that day - indeed, it still hasn't. Eventually, the Aces' run was ended in the last eight, by a strong Bedistan team.

Four years later, though, they'd be back, on home turf, in a quarter-final...we're still making you wait for that one though.

#1: It Haperd One Night
#89: You Beat Us, We're Still Better
#637: The Magnificent Seven
#361: What's The Time?
#220: The Smashing Orangey Bit
#809: Hell Has Frozen Over, And Now It's Sky Blue
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Acronius
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Acronius » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:46 pm

David and Goliath
Axel Aubry makes surprise comeback on Acronius D, drops four goals past Legalese
James E. Sudlow (@SudlowUP)
10/19/2015, 22:19 | Legalese City, Legalese
ImageSHARE THIS: Image Image Image Image

LEGALESE 4 - 4 ACRONIUS

Legalese - 4-3-1-2
GK - Evan Swales
LB - Eudav Kaszinski
LCB - Gruffudd Masters
RCB - Gnaeus Shoobridge
RB - Jeff Donaldson
LM - Cade Zorich
CDM - Chance Cloman
RM - Slade Brahm
CAM - Cyrus Damhan
LF - Xavier Boyle
RF - Quintus Oxboro
Acronius - 3-3-3-1
GK - William Connolly
LB - Louis Leroy
CB - Robert Winthrop
RB - Zack Roscoe
LDM - John Cavey
CDM - Mason Griffiths
RDM - Max Bittecourt
LW - Max Fawden
CAM - Micah Cotterill
RW - Frank Spelmeyer
RF - Axel Aubry

Goalscorers

Oxboro - '12, '44
Boyle - '29
Brahm - 32
Aubry - '53, '62, '77, '87

It is now dubbed, and quite rightfully so, 'the Impossible Win'. The fifth matchday of the World Cup 73 qualification process would see the giants of Group 8 (and according to the rankings, the 20th best team in the multiverse), Legalese, face off against Acronius' Blue Boys (now Acronius' Blue Babies when compared to their adversaries) at the National Stadium, in Legalese City, Legalese. Even as the Acronian national team, or rather, one of the Acronian national teams marched through the tunnel and strode into the blaring lights enveloping the pitch, side by side with their Legalite counterparts, they knew that they were infinitely and royally screwed. Acronius D knew that they were completely out of their opponents' league. Not to mention the fact that they were playing at home, Legalese came in at a whopping fourth place overall back in the World Cup 69 proper and, despite a noticeable decline in recent days, they certainly were a force to be reckoned with - especially for the Free Union, a full 78 ranks behind the Legalites. Yet, despite the daunting tower of odds stacked up against Acronius D, the congregation of football enthusiasts inside the National Stadium during the match would witness one of the most thrilling examples of the classic David and Goliath situation of the World Cup 73 Qualifiers.

The Legalites, clad in sleek black and gold kits, forced the Acronians to play the match donning their third kit, as their second kit was equally-colored black, with abstract gold accents. Possession and territory percentages of the match almost immediately skyrocketed in favor of the Legalites the moment the starting signal was given. Acronius D's two-line midfield was pitifully doing next-to-nothing to stop the likes of Cade Zorich, Cyrus Damhan, and Slade Brahm from bursting past the half-line in a blinding display of prestige and superiority over the eleven Acronians on the pitch. The three-man Acronian defense, comprised of Louis Leroy, Robert Winthrop, and Zach Roscoe proved to be marginally more resilient than their midfield counterparts, managing to hold off Xavier Boyle and Quintus Oxboro on several occasions throughout the first ten minutes of the game. The offensive pair couldn't be restrained from the goal forever, though, and the Legalites dealt their first blow on the Blue Boys in the twelfth minute with a 30-yard screamer from Quintus Oxboro executed with show-stealing technical prowess and effortlessly-devastating skill that left William Connolly, an Acronian national team substitute goalkeeper, utterly awestruck, so much that he couldn't even move within a range of a half-metre from the ball as it majestically soared into the net. The score was now 1-0 for the Legalites.

Game resumed, and nothing really changed. John Cavey and Max Bittecourt wouldn't have hit the broad side of the goddamned moon with their almost deliberately piss-poor passing the rare time they were even in possession of the ball, let alone the rest of Acronius D. Chemistry was essentially non-existent for the entire side now, minus the sturdy, yet outnumbered and outclassed defense. It was becoming quite apparent that the unique 3-3-3-1 formation chosen for the match was nothing much, after all. That thought, already common amongst both Legalite and Acronian fans in the stadium, was further reinforced by a second goal from Legalese, this time coming from Xavier Boyle. 29th minute, and Cyrus Damhan was flawlessly playing the false nine role deep within the midfield, a lone wolf surrounded by clueless hunters. As if it were nobody's business, the Legalite captain made it past John Cavey, Mason Griffiths, Zack Roscoe, and Robert Winthrop like they were plastic cones a football player would use to practice ball control on before his right foot swooped down onto the grass, sending the ball graciously into the back of the net, skimming the grass blades at a height much too low for Connolly to intercept. 2-0 for Legalese in the 29th minute.

Like hell things were going to get better for the Acronians. They had practically given up on the game now - minimal concern of the game was now apparent amongst the Acronian players. The well-known "What time is it?" face was etched on each and every player on Acronius D. But they were overreacting, right? I mean, it was only two goals, and it was true that anything could happen. For example, there was always the possibility of a third Legalite goal. The game was now in the 32nd minute, only three minutes after the home team's last goal. How exactly was Legalite wingback Jeff Donaldson easily outclassing Acronius D's captain and dedicated winger Max Fawden, playing around with the 21 year old Acronian prospect, I don't really know. But even when John Cavey and Micah Cotterill came around to helplessly try to aid Fawden in stealing the ball back, Donaldson took it easy. Taking advantage of the two Acronian midfielders abandoning their posts, the wingback dully chipped the ball over the heads of the three Acronians and into the now-free centre of the midfield like it was child's play. A visibly amused Slade Brahm gracefully received the ball at his feet, and, in a display of outright humiliation, rainbow flicked the everliving crap out of Mason Griffiths and Max Bittecourt at the same time, before a quick 1-2 pass with Cyrus Damhan allowed the Legalite #8 to pass both Robert Winthrop and Zach Roscoe before mockingly chipping the ball above William Connolly and into the net. 3-0 for Legalese, 32nd minute.

But the first half wasn't over yet. The most zealous of the Blue Boy ultras that had travelled to Legalese to spectate the match had completely died down, and the Legalites amongst the seats were visibly bored from the complete incompetence Acronius D was displaying on the grass. And, well, that's when goal number four came along. Cade Zorich was with the ball, and, Cruyff-turning Max Bittecourt, the Legalite midfielder trotted along the left flank, undisturbed by any Acronian midfielders or defenders in the area - they all knew challenging the Legalite equalled futility. A short pass up to an embarrassingly-unmarked Quintus Oxboro allowed the striker to score his second goal of the game - and just to rub the salt nice and well into the wound, he placed the shot right between the legs of Connolly, with minimal effort and a bit of precision. 4-0 for Legalese just before halftime.

Halftime came along, and, yeah. Pretty much the same thing. That is, until the 52nd minute of the game. By now, if you didn't know the outcome of the match before reading this article, you'd probably be wondering why exactly "David and Goliath" is the title of this segment, for, surely, David's pebble would be nowhere to found, or rather, not even in existence, right? And even if it was somewhere in the plain of ethereality, floating around aimlessly, there was no way it would have been that one Acronian Blue Boy every Acronian hated for missing the penalty that cost the Blue Boys their glorious Emperor's Cup run recently, right? Well... I'm still quite surprised to say that you would be mistaken - yes, for those who don't know who fits the aforementioned description, I'm talking about Axel Aubry, aka 'Tawdry Aubry', whose penalty miss during the Acronius-Armeia matchup a few months ago gave the Free Union a quarterfinal elimination. He had disappeared from the world of football for a while now, consoling and distracting himself from the career-shattering miss with his studies. But, there it was - 52nd minute, the gleaming, emerald green '11' glistening on the assistant referee's board as Aubry walked onto the field to a negative welcoming from his own countrymen in the stands. That would change in, uh, about a minute. Yeah, a minute.

The ball was with Frank Spelmeyer, who had served as a rudimentary replacement for Aubry during the Free Union's disastrous Trindl Cup campaign in Semarland. Spelmeyer played the ball along to Aubry, who savored his first touch of the ball since that penalty kick. But there was something about Aubry that moment; there was that cheeky half-smile slapped across his face, that flick of fire in his eyes, his determination blaring out of his sky blue irises as he made a run for it. And, wow, he passed Zorich. And then Brahm: "just a droplet of luck," the crowd thought. But then he passed Cloman, and then Masters, and then Shoobridge - all by himself, without any other player on the pitch touching the ball. There was absolutely no way. Slowly, like a cobra ready to spring out of hiding and strike its prey, Aubry recoiled a few inches, before firing a shot with so much precision, yet so much power that Titus Blackett would have walked over and given him a pat on the back. 4-1 now, in the 53rd minute.

Flash forward nine minutes - Acronius D's shattered spirit had been taped back together in a few places, here and there, but they were still far from gathering half a point from this particular match. But they leaped one more step forward, in the 62nd minute. The joint efforts of John Cavey, Mason Griffiths, Max Bittecourt eventually won the ball from Cyrus Damhan - and, almost immediately, a pass to Aubry came. The crowd was intrigued, leaning forward to peer at the #11 as, once again, he began is dash of glory down the length of the field. It almost looked like there was some sort of robotic mechanism inside of him that pushed him forward, calculating and improvising complex algorithms to get past each Legalite in his way, and each time, he got past his opponent with no problem. Aubry made a run for the gap between Legalite wingback Jeff Donaldson and central midfielder Gruffudd Masters, and he succeeded in the nick of time, avoiding two tackles in a row from the two defenders. Once more, Aubry recoiled, and, boom. Second goal for Acronius in the 62nd minute, and this time, cheers could be heard from the Acronian crowd. 4-2.

But if only the crowd knew how much more 'Tawdry Aubry' was capable of, and what he would end up doing. Fifteen minutes ticked by since Aubry's second goal. To the astonishment of everyone in the stadium, Legalese would actually have to start trying now. Acronius D were slowly coming back into the game, as their double-lined midfield began to regain a foothold in the midfield, even managing to outmaneuver the Legalite 4-4-2 diamond in some instances. Wingers Max Fawden and Frank Spelmeyer began employing tiki-taka tactics into the game, like Acronius A did last matchday against Banguela. The ball eventually ended back up at the cleats of Tawdry Aubry. And, for a third time, the 18 year old wonderkid worked magic with his feet. Not bothering to calculate a route down the left flank or devise a plan to exploit the right flank, Aubry took on what was practically half the entire Legalite team through the centre of the pitch. And, even with those odds mounted against that one teenager, Aubry still outplayed the Legalites, one by one. Admittedly, it did take a larger amount of time for Aubry to finally get past each and every Legalite trying to block him from the goal, but he still succeeded. A curved shot into the bottom-left corner of the goal granted Acronius a third goal - the score was now 4-3, with just under fifteen minutes left on the clock.

The miracle happening in the stadium was surreal. It was like one of those prestigious surrealistic paintings you'd find in a museum, featuring disfigured people with ridiculously-exaggerated features you would never forget and would rarely see again, ever. Aubry was with the ball again. The ninety-minute mark had passed, and the game was in second-half stoppage time. It would be the last action of the game: it was all or nothing. Aubry, feeding off a pass from Mason Griffiths, surged up forward, speeding towards the Legalite box. The Legalites knew that Aubry would score if their defensive line was broken - they needed to absolutely hold the line. Aubry reached the defensive line, but he was quickly chased off by Legalite defenders. No problem for him - the wonderkid instead circled around, poking about looking for that crucial hole in the tight line. But just as he seemed to have decided on making a move, he was swept off his feet with a rash tackle at the hands of Jeff Donaldson. Donaldson was booked and given a lengthy oral lecture by a stirred referee, but play resumed - under the form of a last-moment free kick that would end the match.

In order to have a chance at qualifying, Acronius D absolutely needed to make a goal out of this. The entire Acronian team, even Connolly, was now in the Legalite box, their muscles tensely waiting for Aubry to take the kick. The last time #11 took a last-minute kick, it ended catastrophically, but this might just have made up for that Emperor's Cup penalty. The ball soared through the air, and that moment would be replayed thousands of times worldwide, that breathtaking moment the ball crossed the goal line and met the caress of the net string once more. The goal had been scored. The seventh seal had been broken. The score of the match had been drawn. 4-0 down in the 52nd minute, they had bounced back to 4-4. To Acronius D, the sound of the final whistle blowing on that note was as good as a 7-0 win. The Blue Boys had drawn Legalese - they still had hope of direct qualification.

Next up, for the final matchday of the qualification process' first half, it will be Acronius C playing once more, and this time against Lymantatia. This match will define Acronius' advantage or disadvantage going into the second half of the qualifiers, and considering the. Fact that Lymantatia is a full twenty ranks higher than Acronius, it will be no easy job. The last time Acronius C played, they were able to pull a high-scoring 3-5 away win against Port Christopher - but with new, more experienced opponents, will Acronius C prevail under the lights of the Acronian 80,000 seated stadium of Swindon Lane, Aberdeen, or will the prestige of the Lymantatian side prove to be too much for the Blue Boys to handle?

Legalese didn't post a roster for the WC73Q, so all references to their team made in this post are based off the last football tournament in which they posted a roster in, the Eagle's Cup I.

Man of the Match: Axel Aubry

Who else could it have been? William Connolly? Yes, it is true that some of the most zealous Blue Boy ultras may still hate him for the Emperor's Cup, but, really, we're the chances if an Acronian substitute scoring four goals against Legalese in the space of forty minutes really that much above zero? If doing that won't earn him a spot on the starting eleven, I frankly have not the slightest clue a to what would.

More From TUP
  • 9 years later - Secret Security Service releases full report behind the Orlovsky-Putrov scandal of 2006 [ 7,643,441 views ]
  • Vice President Roland Lellouche admitted to Lionsgate Argyle Sinclair Hospital [ 7,349,192 views ]
  • AFA releases official roster for World Cup 73 Qualifiers [ 3,394,558 views ]
Image Comments [ --COMMENTS-- ] | Image E-mail

521 comments

53cujo53 · 17 minutes ago
#Aubry

203 up · 44 down
REPLY · UPVOTE · DOWNVOTE

Martin Moreno · 1 hour ago
Now, sit back and watch as we lose against Lymantatia now.

116 up · 11 down

Chalkrunner77 · 2 hours ago
Legalese 4-4 Acronius <--- wtf did I smoke

59 up · 3 down

THE UNION OF ACRONIAN KINGDOMS
President Jules Patry · Vice-President César Villeneuve · Minister of Internal Affairs Angus Moss
Minister of Foreign Affairs Jean-Pierre Marceau · Head of Parliament Michel Lancolf · Chief Justice George Proudfoot

AbCo · ADS · Atlas · IATA · IFC · IIWiki

Champions: Emperor's Cup II
Fourth: Cup of Harmony 65, Di Bradini Cup 36/U21 World Cup 57
Semifinals: NationStates Chess Classic I
Quarterfinals: Emperor's Cup I
Playoffs: World Cup 73

Polkopia
Minister

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Polkopia » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:55 pm

Foreign Video Game Takes Hold In Polkopia

A new craze is becoming increasingly popular in Polkopia. Ragio, an online browser game, has been introduced to Polkopia via an unknown source, and has been approved by the Polkopian government to be available in the Polkopian webspace, meaning that the public will have access to the game, and within a span of hours, the game became a massive hit all over the nation.

The game centers around a ball who's sole purpose is to absorb smaller balls in order to grow in size. Users can customize their ball by using pre-approved names and will receive a 'skin' for their ball. For instance, if you were to name your ball "Polkopia" your ball would have the Polkopian flag as the background. Otherwise, your ball would default to a standard red, blue, or green color. Certain nations are unavailable to play as, following the most recent statement by Dictator Semyon Polk, who listed certain nations as public enemies of Polkopia. These nations are not playable in this game. Other than that, virtually any nation in the multiverse is playable.

Many in Polkopia were surprised by the fact that the game was allowed in Polkopia at all. For years, foreign game developers tried sneaking internet games into Polkopia webspace, but the the Allied States of Polkopia have a tough stance on what is allowed and what isn't allowed on the Polkopian internet. Therefore, Polkopian citizens can only use government-approved websites if they want to access the web. This prevents any notion of pornography, online drug selling, and most video games from being available to Polkopians.

Dictator Semyon Polk himself has even been reported to have played the game on multiple occasions, and the wonderful Polkopian dictator naturally chose the Polkopian flag as his character, flaunting his devout patriotic views for his country, and naturally defeated every single one of his opponents with ease, toppling every other country with the wrath of the mighty Polkopian ball. Semyon Polk currently has the highest recorded score in the game at 999,999,999 and was able to score such a margin in a matter of minutes, a score which would take the most experiences gamers hours and hours to achieve.

In short, the Allied States are very happy to have a game of this caliber allowed in Polkopia, and we commemorate Semyon Polk for allowing so.
Anthem (Instrumental) Factbook Embassy
Check out the Polkopian Premier League

1st place: 8 Times (WV25, WV30, WV35 WV39, WV44, WV48, WV50, WV75)
2nd place: 2 Times (WV26, WV34)
3rd place (8 Times: WV27, WV31, WV32, WV37, WV54, WV59, WV70, WV72)

Pasarga
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 09, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasarga » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:13 pm

Torgos Tribune ~ Of Triumphs And Tribulations

As the first half of the qualifiers draw to a close with the Wanderers set to host Damukini in Torgos here at sixth matchday, the side finds themselves in the uneasy position of not being in complete control of their own destiny heading into the mid qualifying break. The loss on the road to Yttribia was a misstep that has allowed the Esportiva side to flourish beyond any sort of capacity that most would have thought possible given the status of the country and the quality of their "national team". I use that term for their squad lightly as it is quite clear to be a false side, not the one that is endorsed by the FA of Yttribia, masquerading as the real national team during these qualifiers. What they are is a bunch of lower tier players who have grabbed the opportunity presented to them by the horns and are riding it for all that they can, which included a victory against our Wanderers.

It is here that we must pause for reflection, for it is a weighty thing to see how these players who are not even professional in most cases were able to upend the World Cup holders. The Wanderers have made the Final of the World Cup in the past two editions, as well as the Copa Rushmori, and have met with success in one edition and failure in the other for both tournaments. Both defeats weigh heavy in the hearts and minds of the supporters and the players, for the first defeat saw that the legendary talisman Tobias Möller from ever being able to call himself a champion despite all the good that he did for the national team whilst he was a part of the squad.

It is the second of these defeats in Finals and the most recent that perhaps can explain the start of the Qualifiers for the Wanderers. For against the foe that they faced in the Copa Rushmori Final, they were favored as heavily as one can expect coming in off back to back major trophies and having nearly glided through the tournament with relative ease. It was a shock to to the system that not only were they matched in regulation but then were matched in extra time as well and then finally fell in the dog and pony show that is the penalty shootout. The loss was a shot in the psyche of the players who had just reached the greatest of heights a mere month before and now had hit the depths of the abyss and were expected to turn it around in just over a month before the Yttribia fixture. While you can argue that the side probably should have came away with a draw based on skill and the events in the game, you could see how the players were languishing through the game, going through the motions before succumbing to defeat. What is troubling is they let one defeat turn into two and two turn into a poor run of form, as Gim came to Torgos and stole a vastly undeserved point.

Yttribia is riding its wave of optimism and unexpected success to the top of the group and will be there regardless of what the last selection of fixtures produces, even with a loss and a Wanderer win they would still be two points ahead of the side going into the return fixture in Torgos. This side needs to find its professionalism, to find that inner strength that they were able to channel so readily during the entirety of the last World Cup where they had their undefeated and nearly perfect tournament. That form is inside them but it will take some leadership from the veteran captain Császár Mór to fully right the ship of the Wanderers who has rebounded at a decent amount having garnered all three points in the last three fixtures. Finding that form again and ending on an undefeated run towards the rest of the qualifiers is not impossible but it will take work and self belief and leadership, that is what they have to prove against Damukini tonight, that they have it within them to pull from their hearts and work their tail off to rebound from the blows that they have had. Everyone falls eventual, not everyone will get back up and keep on trying.

Super-Llamaland
Senator

Founded: Jan 11, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Super-Llamaland » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:23 pm

Carlton Hoover was a sensible man, cool and composed under pressure. Tobyn Clearwater often wondered why he'd become so different - shrank under the pressure, rather than eating it up so his players wouldn't feel the heat - as the national team manager.

Sixty minutes into his career as Interim Manager of the Llamanean National Men's Football Team, down two-nil on the road to Farfadillis, his team floundering in the rankings as they dropped points to Cruentia and Crystal Empire at home...he was feeling the pressure as well. And he didn't at all like it.
---
His back line had been a surprise to all, the undroppable Tristan Karnstedt dropped for promising 21-year-old Tyler Zhou. Stefan Bogusevic, known far and wide as a man who could run everywhere but failed at basic kicking, was the lone midfielder in Clearwater's 4-1-4-1 system. The undroppable Jake Raburn had been, you guessed it, unceremoniously plopped on the bench. This was okay. Clearwater knew that flexibility, athleticism, and a strong counterattack would be needed to keep the Farves at bay.

Three minutes into the game, when Delafuente humiliated James Smith-Reynolds and gave Risko Kai a perfect through-ball that was accordingly smashed through the back of the net, Clearwater realized it was not. Rarely did a Tiger in the first fifteen minutes touch the ball. Farfadillis was running around embarrassing everyone, especially the hapless Stefan Bogusevic, caught between defense and offense when he was a man who could only do one at a time.

Sure enough, seven minutes later, it was Fox to smash one off the crossbar. Risko Kai, looking for a brace, pounced on it and sent it flying off the outstretched palms of an outmatched Annabeth Kudlowski. The ball spun out of bounds - the cross did not do the same, and Tor wheeled away with the second Farf goal of the night.

Holding the Farves to two goals by the second half was all the Tigers could manage, the new back line dropping far back as the team created a sort of counter-attack focused 4-3-3, with a midfield of Bogusevic, left-field selection Jack Saucedo, and Michael de Vries - while Stanton and Inriquez struggled on the wings and Nilssen appeared mildly disappointed constantly.

The half ended, Teran and Kai almost combining to make the score three-nil before Kudlowski managed to make an athletic save. But two-nil down to Farfadillis at the half was not what he'd been hoping for.

No matter. Clearwater could fix it - he'd done the same for Carlton Hoover numerous times.
---
Lily Stanton was furious, mostly at herself. The Tigers had looked poor all game long, just as they had the two games before - but in the one good chance they'd gotten to halve their deficit to the Farves, she'd skied a shot from distance over both Rohj Tzain and the crossbar.

She walked in, and Tobyn Clearwater handed her a neatly printed piece of paper. It was a sketch of a formation.

Looking more closely, she noticed it was a sketch of a 4-2-4.

"Er, Clearwater - we don't play a 4-2-4."

"Oh," the manager said, confused. "Well, it's just a 4-2-2-2, just with wingers instead of attacking midfielders. You'll be fine."

She looked at the team sheet.

GK KUDLOWSKI - LB MENG, CB MYERS, CB SMITH-REYNOLDS, RB ZHOU - CM BOGUSEVIC, CM SAUCEDO - WL STANTON, ST CARTWRIGHT, ST NILSSEN, WR INRIQUEZ

"Two substitutions at halftime? Bold," she muttered to herself, walking away.

"What?" Clearwater said. "Oh, yes." He cleared his throat and held up his clipboard awkwardly. "Get ready for the second half, everyone!"
---
There they were, fifteen minutes later. The Tigers looked more lively, and Cartwright had managed a shot at goal. Of course, it'd sailed wide, so they were still down two-nil.

Stanton misplayed another ball in the corner, fumbling it off Roenoujya's right leg and out-of-bounds. Clearwater sighed heavily, watching Stanton wheel away in disgust. "Kerraway! Get warmed up," he called over to the bench; Orson Kerraway began to stretch accordingly. Turning back, he watched Saucedo jog over to take the corner-kick.

As expected from somebody who was only notified he was on the national team six days before, Saucedo was nervous. He skied it well over everyone's head.

And, running over from the left wing, Lily Stanton managed to out-hustle a slightly out-of-place Cleto Mata, snag the ball, play it neatly through Mata's legs, and smash a Mach-2 bullet into the net.

Clearwater turned around. "Just kidding!"
---
And then, three minutes later, it was Sebastian Inriquez. The Liberty Rodriguez winger received a neat pass from Saucedo, paused briefly, and then rifled a perfect cross. Tzain went out, Cartwright and Nilssen went in. One five-man train wreck later, The ball had bounced into the net.

Teran won the lead back for the Farves, but it was Nilssen to tie it back up.

A point in front of a hostile crowd playing Farfadillis. He's call it a win.
The Eighth Llamanean Republic
Capital: New Llama City, Population: ~56,000,000
5x World Baseball Classic champion (28, 30, 31, 40, 42)
Yue Zhou • Savigliane

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports