NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Chamber [NSG Senate]

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Britanno
Minister

Founded: Apr 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:13 am

There has been a long debate about this so I move to start the voting
NSGS Liberal Democrats - The Centrist Alternative
British, male, heterosexual, aged 26, liberal conservative, unitarian universalist
Pro: marriage equality, polygamy, abortion up to viability, UK Lib Dems, US Democrats
Anti: discrimination, euroscepticism, UKIP, immigrant bashing, UK Labour, US Republicans
British Home Counties wrote:
Alyakia wrote:our nations greatest achievement is slowly but surely being destroyed
America is doing fine atm

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:15 am

Britanno wrote:There has been a long debate about this so I move to start the voting

There is still debate going on, so I oppose.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Britanno
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:17 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Britanno wrote:There has been a long debate about this so I move to start the voting

There is still debate going on, so I oppose.

I can't help thinking that the same arguments are being repeated over and over again. Most senators will have made up their minds after 6 pages of debate.
British, male, heterosexual, aged 26, liberal conservative, unitarian universalist
Pro: marriage equality, polygamy, abortion up to viability, UK Lib Dems, US Democrats
Anti: discrimination, euroscepticism, UKIP, immigrant bashing, UK Labour, US Republicans
Alyakia wrote:our nations greatest achievement is slowly but surely being destroyed

Fulflood
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:43 am

Britanno wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:There is still debate going on, so I oppose.

I can't help thinking that the same arguments are being repeated over and over again. Most senators will have made up their minds after 6 pages of debate.

I agree. However, I think we might need to sort out the fact that both bills duplicate and contradict each other to quite a large extent.
I go under the name Vyvland now (IIWiki page). This account is used for the odd foray into the Senate or NSG.
Straight male British apatheist pacifist environmentalist social liberal

Admin, New Democrat member for Lüborg (504) and ambassador to the Red-Greens in the Aurentine Senate. Minister of Business Safety of Aurentina. Apparently that deserves a ministry, but I'm not complaining. I'm probably none of these things anymore. | The Aurentine Phrasebook, my magnum opus.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:45 am

Fulflood wrote:
Britanno wrote:

I agree. However, I think we might need to sort out the fact that both bills duplicate and contradict each other to quite a large extent.

Maybe send both to coffee shop to be redrafted into one bill?

Phing Phong
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Phing Phong » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:34 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Fulflood wrote:I agree. However, I think we might need to sort out the fact that both bills duplicate and contradict each other to quite a large extent.

That's a good idea. The current arrangement is complicated and confusing.
Incompetent Buddhist, liberal centrist and militant queer

Embassy Program | NSwiki Pages | Factbook | Map | National Anthem | Constitution | Phing Phong Fine Rices | Culture Test
Member of the Stonewall Alliance, open to all LGBT-friendly nations!

Fulflood
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:34 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Fulflood wrote:I agree. However, I think we might need to sort out the fact that both bills duplicate and contradict each other to quite a large extent.

I tried it back here:
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=239510&p=14895831#p14895831
dans le spoiler.
I go under the name Vyvland now (IIWiki page). This account is used for the odd foray into the Senate or NSG.

Admin, New Democrat member for Lüborg (504) and ambassador to the Red-Greens in the Aurentine Senate. Minister of Business Safety of Aurentina. Apparently that deserves a ministry, but I'm not complaining. I'm probably none of these things anymore. | The Aurentine Phrasebook, my magnum opus.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:36 am

Fulflood wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Maybe send both to coffee shop to be redrafted into one bill?

I tried it back here:
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=239510&p=14895831#p14895831
dans le spoiler.

Both side would need to support that and sow would all the co-sponsors. So, it should really be in coffee shop.

Fulflood
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:37 am

Great Nepal wrote:

Both side would need to support that and sow would all the co-sponsors. So, it should really be in coffee shop.

Yeah, I wondered if this was legal or not.

Fulflood
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:48 am

Costa Alegria
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Alegria » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:53 am

I think, for the sake of democracy, we should move with a vote. If you don't like it, vote against it. Simple. None of this filibustering. Not whilst I'm here.
I AM THE RHYMENOCEROUS!
Member of the [under new management] in the NSG Senate

If You Lot Really Must Know...
Pro: Legalisation of Marijuana, LGBT rights, freedom of speech, freedom of press, democracy yadda yadda.
Con: Nationalism, authoritariansim, totalitarianism, omnipotent controlling religious beliefs, general stupidity.
Meh: Everything else that I can't be fucked giving an opinion about.

Fulflood
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:56 am

Costa Alegria wrote:I think, for the sake of democracy, we should move with a vote. If you don't like it, vote against it. Simple. None of this filibustering. Not whilst I'm here.

The trouble is we all do like it, because both bills essentially say the same thing in different ways.

Costa Alegria
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Alegria » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:58 am

Fulflood wrote:
Costa Alegria wrote:I think, for the sake of democracy, we should move with a vote. If you don't like it, vote against it. Simple. None of this filibustering. Not whilst I'm here.

The trouble is we all do like it, because both bills essentially say the same thing in different ways.

So? Vote for one, defeat the other. It's a win-win either way. Point is, if we keep this discussion going on for much longer, it could set a precedent. And I'd rather we had an efficient democracy rather than a fringe ogilarchy, so to speak.
I AM THE RHYMENOCEROUS!
Member of the [under new management] in the NSG Senate

If You Lot Really Must Know...
Pro: Legalisation of Marijuana, LGBT rights, freedom of speech, freedom of press, democracy yadda yadda.
Con: Nationalism, authoritariansim, totalitarianism, omnipotent controlling religious beliefs, general stupidity.
Meh: Everything else that I can't be fucked giving an opinion about.

Phing Phong
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Phing Phong » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:01 am

Though I cannot speak for other senators, I am not filibustering. I hope to see the best quality of legislation possible passed, and if that requires an extended debate, so be it. As it stands, there is enough overlap between the two bills in the omnibus that they should be combined.

I move that the two bills are sent back to the Coffee Shop to be combined, after which they shall take second place in the current queue, and that we now start debating the Governmental Subdivision Creation Act.

Embassy Program | NSwiki Pages | Factbook | Map | National Anthem | Constitution | Phing Phong Fine Rices | Culture Test

Fulflood
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:04 am

Costa Alegria wrote:
Fulflood wrote:The trouble is we all do like it, because both bills essentially say the same thing in different ways.

So? Vote for one, defeat the other. It's a win-win either way. Point is, if we keep this discussion going on for much longer, it could set a precedent. And I'd rather we had an efficient democracy rather than a fringe ogilarchy, so to speak.

The we need to agree on which one to vote for.

Fulflood
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:05 am

Phing Phong wrote:

Though I cannot speak for other senators, I am not filibustering. I hope to see the best quality of legislation possible passed, and if that requires an extended debate, so be it. As it stands, there is enough overlap between the two bills in the omnibus that they should be combined.

I move that the two bills are sent back to the Coffee Shop to be combined, after which they shall take second place in the current queue, and that we now start debating the Governmental Subdivision Creation Act.

Second.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:05 am

Fulflood wrote:
Phing Phong wrote:

Second.

Third.

Britanno
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:11 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Fulflood wrote:Second.

Third.

Fourth

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:21 am

Britanno wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Third.

Fourth

Fifth
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:49 am

Ainin wrote:
Britanno wrote:
Fourth

Fifth

Sixth
-3.5 Economically, -6.2 Socially

Click to Learn Why Trump is a Fascist

Proud Member of the Progressive Movement

Wolfmanne
Senator

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:08 am

Belmaria wrote:
Ainin wrote:Fifth

Sixth

Seventh.
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

Britanno
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:10 am

Am I right in thinking that this is next in line for debate?

Governmental Subdivision Creation Act

Wolfmanne
Senator

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:18 am

Britanno wrote:Am I right in thinking that this is next in line for debate?

Yes, however I move to remove the National Judiciary Act:

1. It would contradict the Judicial Act.
2. The Judicial Act has already passed and we have a functioning judicial system.
3. It's a poor system, which was created to be a provisional system until we had a fully-functioning one. The Judicial Act provides a fully-functioning one.
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:19 am

Wolfmanne wrote:
Britanno wrote:Am I right in thinking that this is next in line for debate?

Yes, however I move to remove the National Judiciary Act:

2. The Judicial Act has already passed and we have a functioning judicial system.
3. It's a poor system, which was created to be a provisional system until we had a fully-functioning one. The Judicial Act provides a fully-functioning one.

Seconded.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Phing Phong
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Phing Phong » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:21 am

Of the Quendi wrote:
Wolfmanne wrote:Yes, however I move to remove the National Judiciary Act:

Seconded.

Thirded.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives