NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Fishy Goings-on

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

[SUBMITTED] Fishy Goings-on

Postby Baggieland » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:31 pm

I have no idea how this one will be received, but it is topical, so let's give it a try! :)

Also, my deepest apologies to all Scandinavians everywhere!

[TITLE] Fishy Going-ons

[DESCRIPTION] The football World Cup is in full swing and @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ everywhere have been delighted by the psychic abilities of Pepe the porpoise, an animal oracle resident at @@CAPITAL@@ zoo, who has correctly predicted all but one of every game played so far. However, controversy arose yesterday when the animal chose @@NAME@@ to lose against Skandilund in the quarter-final.

[VALIDITY] must allow prosports must allow zoos

[OPTION] "There's only one thing to do with this treasonous aquatic mammal," declares @@RANDOMNAME@@, your most patriotic advisor. "Send him to the nearest Dàguó restaurant and let's all treat ourselves to some sushi tonight. How dare that porpoise think that @@NAME@@ could possibly lose to a bunch of sauna-loving, herring-eating liberals who spend half the year in total sunlight and the other half in complete darkness? Ban all animal oracles in the future, so we don't send bad luck to our already superstitious footballers."

[EFFECT] police spend hours interrogating parrots

[OPTION] "Oh, come now, it's just a bit of fun," says your secretary. "Pepe has already got one prediction wrong, who's to say he's not going to be wrong about the Skandilund match? These animal oracles provide an entertaining side show to the action on the pitch, and people love them. We should encourage all @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to see if their pets have psychic abilities before every major sporting tournament and award a prize to the best of them."

[EFFECT] this year's phenomenon in @@NAME@@ is a psychic ant colony

[OPTION] "I have a better idea with what we can do with this animal," declares General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your Chief of Staff. "If Pepe is truly psychic, then we should use him to predict our military strategies. We can put the flag of our adversaries in his pool to see if we should bomb them or not, or pictures of a boat and a plane to see if we should go with an airborne or a naval assault. Our enemies won't understand how we can predict their every move!"

[EFFECT] the military budget has seen an increase in the demand for fish

[TITLE] Fishy Going-ons

[DESCRIPTION] The International Football Federation Global Cup is in full swing and @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ everywhere have been delighted by the psychic abilities of Pepe the porpoise, an animal oracle resident at @@CAPITAL@@ zoo, who has correctly predicted all but one of every game played so far. However, controversy arose yesterday when the animal chose @@NAME@@ to lose against Skandilund in the quarter-final.

[OPTION] "There's only one thing to do with this treasonous aquatic mammal," declares @@RANDOMNAME@@, your most patriotic advisor. "Send it to the nearest Dàguó restaurant and let's all treat ourselves to some sushi tonight. How dare that porpoise think that @@NAME@@ could possibly lose to a bunch of sauna-loving, herring-eating liberals who spend half the year in total sunlight and the other half in complete darkness? Ban all animal oracles in the future, so we don't send bad luck to our already superstitious footballers."

[EFFECT] police spend hours interrogating parrots
[FLAG] reverses vegetarianism policy

[OPTION] "Oh, come now, it's just a bit of fun," says your secretary. "Pepe has already got one prediction wrong, who's to say he's not going to be wrong about the Skandilund match? These animal oracles provide an entertaining side show to the action on the pitch, and people love them. We should encourage all @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to see if their pets have psychic abilities before every major sporting tournament and award a prize to the best of them."

[EFFECT] this year's phenomenon in @@NAME@@ is a psychic ant colony

[OPTION] "I have a better idea with what we can do with this animal," declares General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your Chief of Staff. "If Pepe is truly psychic, then we should use him to predict our military strategies. We can put the flag of our adversaries in his pool to see if we should bomb them or not, or pictures of a boat and a plane to see if we should go with an airborne or a naval assault. Our enemies won't understand how we can predict their every move!"

[TITLE] Fishy Goings-on

[DESCRIPTION] The International Football Federation Global Cup is in full swing and @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ everywhere have been delighted by the psychic abilities of Pepe the porpoise, an animal oracle resident at @@CAPITAL@@ zoo, who has correctly predicted all but one of every game played so far. However, controversy arose yesterday when the animal chose @@NAME@@ to lose against Skandilund in the quarter-final.

[OPTION] "There's only one thing to do with this treasonous aquatic mammal," declares @@RANDOMNAME@@, your most patriotic advisor. "Send it to the nearest Dàguó restaurant and let's all treat ourselves to some sushi tonight. How dare that porpoise think that @@NAME@@ could possibly lose to a bunch of sauna-loving, herring-eating liberals who spend half the year in total sunlight and the other half in complete darkness? Ban all animal oracles in the future, so we don't send bad luck to our already superstitious footballers."

[EFFECT] roosters that herald the rising sun are immediately sent to the slaughter house

[EFFECT] dog owners proudly declare that their pups can predict when the mailman will arrive

[TITLE] Fishy Goings-on

[DESCRIPTION] The International Football Federation Global Cup is in full swing and @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ everywhere have been delighted by the psychic abilities of Pepe the porpoise, an animal oracle resident at @@CAPITAL@@ zoo, who has correctly predicted all but one of every game played so far. However, controversy arose yesterday and national pride was hurt, when the animal chose @@NAME@@ to lose against Skandilund in the quarter-final.

[OPTION] "There's only one thing to do with this treasonous aquatic mammal," fumes @@RANDOMNAME@@, your most patriotic advisor. "Send it to the nearest Dàguó restaurant and let's all treat ourselves to some sushi tonight. How dare that porpoise think that @@NAME@@ could possibly lose to a bunch of sauna-loving, herring-eating liberals who spend half the year in total sunlight and the other half in complete darkness? Ban all animal oracles in the future, so we don't send bad luck to our already superstitious footballers."

[EFFECT] roosters that herald the rising sun are immediately sent to the slaughter house

[EFFECT] dog owners proudly declare that their pups can predict when the mailman will arrive

[OPTION] "I have a better idea with what we can do with this animal," declares General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your Chief of Staff. "If Pepe is truly psychic, then we should use him to dictate our military strategies. We can put the flag of our adversaries in his pool to see if we should bomb them or not, or pictures of a boat and a plane to see if we should go with an airborne or a naval assault. Our enemies won't understand how we can anticipate their every move!"

[OR] military chiefs are confident of extra funding in this year's budget
Last edited by Baggieland on Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:46 am

If you have a thousand monkeys at typewriters all making predictions, sheer chance suggests that one of them will turn out to be right. It doesn't mean that monkey has psychic powers.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:52 am

It's one animal, making one (different) prediction at a time.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:52 am

Trotterdam wrote:If you have a thousand monkeys at typewriters all making predictions, sheer chance suggests that one of them will turn out to be right. It doesn't mean that monkey has psychic powers.

But this is a porpoise. It can predict the games without a typewriter, so it's pretty powerful! :P

On a serious note, you can make another option with it.

"What an utter load of rubbish!" followed by what Trotterdam said, then "LEADER, you must dismiss this prediction as mere coincidences and chances aligning together, not some hocus pocus!"

So yeah, you can actually add another option with this idea of claiming it as a load of baloney.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:21 am

Baggieland wrote:It's one animal, making one (different) prediction at a time.
There have almost certainly been other animals that have been attempted to use for such shenanigans, but which didn't make the news due to not being as successful. Quoth Wikipedia:
Spiegelhalter points out that there are "other animals that have attempted but failed to predict the outcome of football matches"; it is not remarkable that one animal is more successful than the others, and only the successful animals will gain public attention after the fact.[11]
Some other German oracles did not fare so well in the World Cup. The animals at the Chemnitz Zoo were wrong on all of Germany's group-stage games, with Leon the porcupine picking Australia, Petty the pygmy hippopotamus spurning Serbia's apple-topped pile of hay, and Anton the tamarin eating a raisin representing Ghana.[35][36]

Mani the parakeet of Singapore became famous for correctly predicting the results of all four quarter-final matches. Mani contradicted Paul by picking the Netherlands to win the final, resulting in some media outlets describing the game as an octopus-versus-parakeet showdown.[37][38][39]
There are other factors at play than random chance. Paul picked Germany with disproportionate frequency, suggesting that the octopus was predisposed to that box, possibly because it found Germany's flag attractive or because the behavior of its handlers inadvertedly featured bias in how the two boxes were placed in the cage each time. Since Germany made a fairly good showing in the year's tournament, and won most matches (clearly not a random coincidence either - they were probably fielding an above-averagely-skilled team), that means Paul would often end up being right by default, with a chance in excess of what would happen if both the predictions and the outcomes were truly arbitrary. Paul correctly predicted all of the (nine) games that Germany won, in fact, but correctly predicted only half of the (four) games that Germany lost. This is rather comparable to the outcome you might expect from a rabid fan of the (legitimately good but not invincible) team simply making overly-optimistic predictions of his favored team's victory, without any special insight.

It's also worth noting that if an animal did have real psychic powers, then eating it because it made a prediction you don't like would just be shooting the messenger, and really mean. Also, if an animal had real psychic powers, it would avoid making predictions what would cause people to eat it. It probably cares about not being eaten more than it cares about being right about a football match.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:40 am

Thanks for the in-depth insight into the scientific exploration of the phenomena that is animal oracles. However, these "psychic" animals are just a bit of fun, that pop up every world cup, are not taken that seriously and hence this issue does not delve into the scientific realities of such animals.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:42 am

Valentine Z wrote:On a serious note, you can make another option with it.

"What an utter load of rubbish!" followed by what Trotterdam said, then "LEADER, you must dismiss this prediction as mere coincidences and chances aligning together, not some hocus pocus!"

So yeah, you can actually add another option with this idea of claiming it as a load of baloney.

Thanks for the idea. But this seems too similar to the dismiss button. An option needs to do something, like enact a policy or change a stat and stuff.
Last edited by Baggieland on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:54 am

Baggieland wrote:However, these "psychic" animals are just a bit of fun

Guess whose nation has an 'Oracle of Owls' that is taken seriously... and that is, indeed, fairly reliable in its predictions about all sorts of matters.
:p
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:03 am

Fun fact: while in real life many birds are quite intelligent, owls are actually not one of them and are among the dumbest of birds.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:05 am

Trotterdam wrote:Fun fact: while in real life many birds are quite intelligent, owls are actually not one of them and are among the dumbest of birds.

I know, but Owl was one of the 'Seven Holy Helpers' whom the Great Bear sent in ancient times to advise Bearkind so...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:02 pm

Is @@NAME@@ really that immature? And if so, this aspect of it needs more references as such. Also validity, must allow sports

Trotterdam wrote:If you have a thousand monkeys at typewriters all making predictions, sheer chance suggests that one of them will turn out to be right. It doesn't mean that monkey has psychic powers.

This calls for a Simpsons' reference: "It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times"
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Is @@NAME@@ really that immature?
Maybe not the whole nation, but the real-life evidence does suggest that football fans are not the most mature of people.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:16 am

So I am guessing Option 1 couldn't be proposed in a vegetarian nation?
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:05 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:So I am guessing Option 1 couldn't be proposed in a vegetarian nation?

Just have it cancel vegetarianism if you pick that.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:10 pm

I love a good World Cup-esque like issue and this one has an unusual but unique tilt! Seriously tho, why would people get riled up over a psychic fish?
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:01 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:So I am guessing Option 1 couldn't be proposed in a vegetarian nation?

Just have it cancel vegetarianism if you pick that.

I'll do that next time I'm on my laptop.

Outer Sparta wrote:I love a good World Cup-esque like issue and this one has an unusual but unique tilt! Seriously tho, why would people get riled up over a psychic fish?

Only the first speaker gets riled. Let's face it, there are many easily offended people these days who kick up a fuss over trivial things.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:48 am

Just made a couple of changes to the draft. I'd really like some suggestions for the effect lines, I don't think they're that great. Also, is the title right? Fishy Going Ons / Fishy Goings On / Fishy Goings Ons? Hyphen or not???? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:58 am

Baggieland wrote:Just made a couple of changes to the draft. I'd really like some suggestions for the effect lines, I don't think they're that great. Also, is the title right? Fishy Going Ons / Fishy Goings On / Fishy Goings Ons? Hyphen or not???? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

As a non-native speaker, I can't say much about the title, but I can propose some effect lines, perhaps.

Option 1 says (or implies) nothing about animals being interrogated, it is just about banning animal oracles (and perhaps also eating them). I could suggest the following effect line for this:

[effect]roosters that herald the morning by crowing at dawn are slaughtered

Again, Option 2 is about probing if pets have psychic abilities - and an ant colony wouldn't be considered a pet, I guess. (I know people who keep an ant colony at home in a terrarium, but still...)

Here, maybe you could go with:

[effect]dog owners proudly declare that their pups can predict when the mailman will arrive

For Option 3, maybe you could go with:

[effect]@@DEMOYMPLURAL@@ know which dolphin to flog when their military strategies fail

P.S. idioms.freedictionary.com suggests that "to flog the dolphin" is a vulgar idiom that means "to masturbate." I don't know if this is a widely-used thing, or a regional variant. But in case most English speakers recognize it, perhaps it could be used.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 am

I think the title should be "Goings On." "Going-ons" sounds weird.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:P.S. idioms.freedictionary.com suggests that "to flog the dolphin" is a vulgar idiom that means "to masturbate." I don't know if this is a widely-used thing, or a regional variant. But in case most English speakers recognize it, perhaps it could be used.

Never heard it before... :unsure:
Last edited by The Sherpa Empire on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:48 am

The Sherpa Empire wrote:I think the title should be "Goings On." "Going-ons" sounds weird.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:P.S. idioms.freedictionary.com suggests that "to flog the dolphin" is a vulgar idiom that means "to masturbate." I don't know if this is a widely-used thing, or a regional variant. But in case most English speakers recognize it, perhaps it could be used.

Never heard it before... :unsure:

Erm… I can't say it's a term I've heard before.

EDIT: And I concur that "Fishy Goings On" is the only one that sounds right IMO.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:58 am

I'm pro-hyphen, but I also agree that the "s" belongs at "Goings-On".

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:51 pm

I actually misread it as Goings-On and then realized it was Going-Ons. Personally I think the latter sounds more appropriate, but then again the very phrase is very odd in of itself. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:14 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:[effect]roosters that herald the morning by crowing at dawn are slaughtered

That's good, tweaked it a bit.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:dog owners proudly declare that their pups can predict when the mailman will arrive

That's excellent, thanks.

Never heard of it either. I don't think this should have direct sexual innuendos, as it doesn't have an adult tag.

Thanks everyone for the consensus on 'goings-on'.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:40 pm

4th draft is up. I've added 'national pride was hurt' in the description, just to make this issue more of a matter of concern. I was thinking of adding 'riots broke out after the prediction', but that's stretching the realms of possibility too far!

Changed a couple of bits of vocab in options 1 and 3.

Got a new effect line for option 3, let me know which you think is better! Thanks.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:39 am

Bump. Anymore suggestions before submission?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?