NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED - 1/21/2021] Uncorked and Unwined

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

[SUBMITTED - 1/21/2021] Uncorked and Unwined

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:06 pm

Inspiration: https://ahvalnews.com/istanbul-f1/turke ... -champagne

Couldn't find an issue specifically on this (e.g., @@NAME@@ has banned alcohol, but now they end up violating some important traditions at events attended by foreigners), so here we go!

Draft 2
[description]@@NAME@@ hosted its first Formula 1 motorcar race last weekend, which was televised and drew over a billion viewers from all over the world. At the traditional podium ceremony, however, the spectacular champagne shower was replaced by the feeble fizz of seltzer spluttering from the bottles. The notable lack of champagne drew even more attention when the Skandilundian Formula 1 champion Matti Järvinen complained about it on TV.

[validity]alcohol is banned, organized sports are not banned, nation did not choose Option 6 for Issue #569

1. [option]"We have just made fools of ourselves in front of a billion viewers!" wails @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of International Prestige, rubbing @@HIS@@ temples. "Giving the Formula 1 pilots seltzer instead of champagne to celebrate? Whose idea was that? I am as much in favor of our alcohol ban as the next person, but violating international traditions that involve alcohol will not reflect well on us. I suggest we relax our restrictions a bit to allow alcohol in events attended by foreigners; for the sake of our reputation!"

[effect]sports fans are getting better at faking a Bigtopian accent

2. [option]"Ah, so this Järvinen guy will get to celebrate his victory with champagne, but we won't?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, a national @@ANIMAL@@ball player, and crosses @@HIS@@ arms with a grunt. "All problems seen as the ills of alcohol actually stem from its excessive consumption, so if we put a quota on how much alcohol a person can drink each month, I'm sure we would all be fine. And me and my pals could finally celebrate our victories with some beer instead of pineapple juice, for Violet's sake!"

[effect]alcohol ration cards are highly desirable commodities on the black market

3. [option]"Ah, who's gonna deal with all those colc- culc, hic-, calculations of quotas?" yelps @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Taxation, and you suspect you smell some cheap wine on @@HIS@@ breath. "Think about all the tax revenue we are losing by not allowing alcohol. We can just lift the prohibition and put heavy taxes on alcoholic beverages, which could still serve as a disincentive." @@HE_3@@ passes out while rubbing @@HIS_3@@ thumb and fingers.

[effect]beer brewing kits are bestsellers on shopping websites

4. [option]"I can't believe what I am hearing!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Morality. "Why do we have this inferiority complex towards the foreigners? Who says their customs are better than ours? As the proverb goes, when in @@CAPITAL@@, do as @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ do. If they come to our country, they need to live by our rules. Besides, if they need some spectacular foamy drink to celebrate, why not give them a bottle of Eckie-Ecola with a mint dropped into it? It does the job!"

[effect]winners of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ grand prix have a sticky feeling

[description]@@NAME@@ has hosted its first Nebula 1 motorcar race last weekend, which was televised and drew over a billion viewers from all over the world. As per tradition, the drivers in the top three positions step on a podium at the end of the race and pop champagne after the national anthem of the winner. This time, however, the spectacular champagne shower was replaced by the feeble fizz of seltzer spluttering from the bottles. The notable lack of champagne drew even more attention when the Skandilundian Nebula 1 champion Matti Järvinen complained about it on Twitcher.

[validity]alcohol is banned, organized sports are not banned

1. [option]"We have just made fools of ourselves in front of a billion viewers!" wails @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, your Minister of International Prestige, rubbing @@HIS_1@@ temples. "Giving the Nebula 1 pilots seltzer instead of champagne to celebrate? What were the organizers thinking? I am as much in favor of our alcohol ban as the next person, but violating international traditions that involve alcohol will not reflect good on us. I suggest we relax our restrictions a bit to allow alcohol on events attended by foreigners; for the sake of our reputation!"

[effect]people attending international sports events are getting better at faking a Bigtopian accent

2. [option]"Ah, so this Järvinen guy will get to celebrate his victory with champagne, but we won't?" asks @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, a national @@ANIMAL@@ball player, and crosses @@HIS_2@@ arms with a grunt. "All problems seen as the ills of alcohol actually stem from its excessive consumption, so if we put a quota on how much alcohol a person can drink each month, I'm sure we would all be fine. And me and my pals could finally celebrate our victories with some beer instead of pineapple juice, for Violet's sake!"

[effect]alcohol quotas are highly desirable commodities on the black market

3. [option]"Ah, who's gonna deal with all those colc- culc, hic-, calculations of quotas?" yelps @@RANDOMNAME_3@@, your Minister of Taxation, and you suspect you smell some cheap wine on @@HIS_3@@ breath. "Think about all the tax revenue we are losing by not allowing alcohol. We can just lift the prohibition and put heavy taxes on alcoholic beverages, which could still serve as a disincentive." @@HE_3@@ passes out while rubbing @@HIS_3@@ thumb and fingers.

[effect]beer brewing kits are bestsellers on shopping websites

4. [option]"I can't believe what I am hearing!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME_4@@, your Minister of Morality. "Why do we have this inferiority complex towards the foreigners? Who says their customs are better than ours? As the proverb goes, when in @@CAPITAL@@, do as @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ do. If they come to our country, they need to live by our rules. Besides, our seltzer is just delicious." @@HE_4@@ pours some carbonated water into @@HIS_4@@ glass, gulps it down and belches to prove a point.

[effect]rumless tiramisu is a @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ delicacy
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:38 am, edited 14 times in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:32 pm

Wikipedia is a bit vague about exactly what in champagne causes its fizzy effect, but I'm pretty sure it's not the alcohol.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:51 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Wikipedia is a bit vague about exactly what in champagne causes its fizzy effect, but I'm pretty sure it's not the alcohol.

OK, this is a bit of a side issue - because people obviously do not just care about the lack of fizziness, the main problem being the violation of the champagne tradition. And the Formula 1 pilots would probably also like to celebrate with alcohol instead of a fizzy drink.

That being said, I like the idea of taking this issue literally and disingenuously reducing the problem to the lack of foam.

A pro-status quo option could be added (or Option 4 could be modified) to suggest giving the pilots Eckie-Ecola with a mint candy dropped into it, to create the fizzy effect if people like it so much. Problem solved!
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:44 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:OK, this is a bit of a side issue - because people obviously do not just care about the lack of fizziness, the main problem being the violation of the champagne tradition.
That sounds a little too much like "people don't like what you did". Of course there are always going to be people who want to celebrate stuff with alcohol, but why should race winners be given special treatment?

The biggest points here are that (A) it's a long-running tradition (but then, most people who drink alcohol aren't doing so for the very first time, and we clearly knew we were going to interrupt people's habits when we instituted the ban), and (B) the winners might be foreigners from countries where alcohol isn't illegal (but that seems like a pretty poor excuse - again, we decided to institute these laws even though we knew there are people in the world who disagree with us).

I guess the biggest issue here is that if the international racing organization is sufficiently dissatisfied with our rules, they can just refuse to hold future races in our nation, which would hurt our tourism and entertainment industries. In that case, options would likely be a couple of different ways of trying to convince them to come back, deciding we don't need decadent races and should focus on more practical activities, or hosting our own wholesome racing events without needing the cooperation of an international organization. (Contrast #291, though, which is an international sporting organization not wanting to hold a competition in our nation for other reasons, or #573, which is us refusing to attend an event in another nation.)

I wonder what the real-life stance on this was though - they presumably knew about Turkey's alcohol ban even before the races and had decided it was worth putting up with. Individual drivers may have been disappointed, but it seems unlikely that the event planners didn't see this coming. Though depending on how strong the outcry is, it may or may not motivate them to take the matter more seriously next time.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:A pro-status quo option could be added (or Option 4 could be modified) to suggest giving the pilots Eckie-Ecola with a mint candy dropped into it, to create the fizzy effect if people like it so much. Problem solved!
Yeah, something like that.

Again, I'm no expert on the chemical details, but I'm pretty sure you could design a non-alcoholic drink that looks convincingly like champagne, even if it tastes completely different. (And if you use unfermented grape juice as a base, not even that different.)

Consider the opposite side. How would these drivers feel about being given normal wine, that tastes pretty similar to champagne but isn't fizzy?

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:23 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:...Nebula 1...

"F1" and "Formula 1" already appear in the Issuesverse canon through Issue #569 "Grand Prix De @@NAME@@?", if that matters lol :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:05 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I wonder what the real-life stance on this was though - they presumably knew about Turkey's alcohol ban even before the races and had decided it was worth putting up with. Individual drivers may have been disappointed, but it seems unlikely that the event planners didn't see this coming. Though depending on how strong the outcry is, it may or may not motivate them to take the matter more seriously next time.

Just to clarify, Turkey does not actually have a ban on alcohol (GASP!). People are just very puritanical and they got even more so under a conservative government that espoused more authoritarian crackdowns on certain life style choices. Alcohol is allowed but is increasingly heavily taxed, and the official censorship body for TV and radio shows, etc., does stupid things like "beeping" the words "wine, beer, etc." in movies.

They could have legally just given champagne to the Formula 1 pilots, but some busybody decided to use his/her initiative to give them Sprite. It was embarrassing. Someone from Hamilton's team complained about this on Twitter and basically said they would have a real party to celebrate Hamilton's championship once they got home, with champagne instead of Sprite.

I am not sure there is going to be an official backlash from F1 though. It was an embarrassing and unnecessary breach of a nice tradition, but probably not a complete deal breaker for the organizers. :roll:

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:25 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:@@NAME@@ has hosted its first Formula 1 motorcar race last weekend,

The present perfect simple tense doesn't really work with time phrases, I suggest changing it to the past simple.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:As per tradition, the drivers in the top three positions step on a podium at the end of the race and pop champagne after the national anthem of the winner.

Keep everything to the past simple.

Nice issue!

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:25 am

Also, due to mentioning Twitcher, does this require allows computers / internet validities?

Finally why all the numbers after the random names? You're not referencing back to them.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:32 am

Baggieland wrote:Also, due to mentioning Twitcher, does this require allows computers / internet validities?

Finally why all the numbers after the random names? You're not referencing back to them.

Well it's a foreign driver, so maybe their country has the internet. Though I guess it begs the question on how @@NAME@@ found out...
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:13 pm

Baggieland wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:@@NAME@@ has hosted its first Formula 1 motorcar race last weekend,

The present perfect simple tense doesn't really work with time phrases, I suggest changing it to the past simple.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:As per tradition, the drivers in the top three positions step on a podium at the end of the race and pop champagne after the national anthem of the winner.

Keep everything to the past simple.

Nice issue!

Yup, done that for #1. But the second sentence is about a general Fomula 1 tradition, which @@NAME@@ violated this time. I changed the sentence structure a bit, and the sentence now starts with 'it is customary...'. Do you think this works better?

Baggieland wrote:Also, due to mentioning Twitcher, does this require allows computers / internet validities?

Twitcher replaced by TV.

Thanks, I deleted the numbers. I think I anticipated potentially referencing back to them, so I wanted to play it safe. But it seems alright to keep them unnumbered for now.

Honeydewistania wrote:

Well it's a foreign driver, so maybe their country has the internet. Though I guess it begs the question on how @@NAME@@ found out...

I mean, they could presumably still find out about these things even without Twitter, because whatever gets posted on Twitter, if it is sensational enough, leaks into more conventional channels of communication as well. But anyways, I changed it, so this question is no longer relevant.

Thanks for all your comments! :)

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:16 am

Looking good FuF,

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:It is customary for the drivers in the top three positions to step on a podium at the end of the race and to pop champagne after the national anthem of the winner.

This is adding unnecessary waffle to the intro. Could it be trimmed down, or chopped altogether? I think most people know what happens on a sports podium.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:23 pm

Baggieland wrote:Looking good FuF,

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:It is customary for the drivers in the top three positions to step on a podium at the end of the race and to pop champagne after the national anthem of the winner.

This is adding unnecessary waffle to the intro. Could it be trimmed down, or chopped altogether? I think most people know what happens on a sports podium.

OK, rephrased.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:55 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:that involve alcohol will not reflect good on us.

I think the 'good' should be 'well'.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote: I suggest we relax our restrictions a bit to allow alcohol on events

In events.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:58 pm

Baggieland wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:that involve alcohol will not reflect good on us.

I think the 'good' should be 'well'.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote: I suggest we relax our restrictions a bit to allow alcohol on events

In events.

Fixed. Thanks so much! :)

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Far Tholk
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Far Tholk » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:16 am

In effect 1, "people attending international sports events" is quite cumbersome. Change it to "Sports fans are getting better at faking a Bigtopian accent."

Effect 2 sounds slightly wonky too. Can 'quota' refer to something that can be possessed/bought/sold? Maybe instead, "The black market is full of alcohol ration cards" or "people are stocking up on black market alcohol ration cards."

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:03 pm

Far Tholk wrote:In effect 1, "people attending international sports events" is quite cumbersome. Change it to "Sports fans are getting better at faking a Bigtopian accent."

Effect 2 sounds slightly wonky too. Can 'quota' refer to something that can be possessed/bought/sold? Maybe instead, "The black market is full of alcohol ration cards" or "people are stocking up on black market alcohol ration cards."

Both of these were great suggestions and have been implemented. Thank you!

I am considering submitting this. Any more comments?
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?