NATION

PASSWORD

[FINAL DRAFT] And the Crowd's Red Glare!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Gaazikumukh
Attaché

Founded: Jun 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

[FINAL DRAFT] And the Crowd's Red Glare!

Postby Gaazikumukh » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:08 am

Inspired by this thread
Celdoria wrote:
Gaazikumukh wrote:Why even have national anthems? Seems like anytime someone tries to perform it slightly differently it makes a huge fuss.

Ban all national anthems!

(Oh god I'm turning into an NS issue)

I was eating when reading this and almost choked on my food, lol.

But I guess this whole ordeal could be a good issue material, right?

Damn right it will!

Title: And the Crowd's Red Glare!

Description: Following the rather "unconventional" performance of the @@NAME@@ national anthem by popular singer @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE_1@@ during a large Calvinball game last night, the mob of upset citizens and patriotic patrons have swarmed into your office the next day.

Option 1: "God save the anthem!" shouts middle-aged, jingoistic, and enraged sportsfan @@RANDOMNAME@@, who is painted in his team's colors. "I expected a joyous ballad celebrating our nation, and I get THIS!? Women dancing in scant clothing? Throbbing and deafening bass? The chorus sung as a rap verse!? Anyone who sings our anthem wrong should be thrown in jail! This is all preposterous, and barbaric, and un-@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@!!" To prove @@HIS@@ point, @@HE@@ flips your desk and lights it on fire, to the cheers of the mob behind @@HIM@@.
Effect: Schoolchildren are regularly thrown into prison if they miss one note in the national anthem.

Option 2: "Oh, say, can't you see!?" sobs @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE_1@@ as her expensive patriotic makeup runs down her frilled bikini. "I make just some small... 'embellishments,' and this is the treatment I get? I can't go outside without people slinging death threats at me! I am an artist, I should be allowed to have the creative freedom to sing however I want! Let anyone sing the national anthem however they choose! If they couldn't handle my absolute fire, they shouldn't have hired me!" She throws a mix-CD on your desk, making the fire double in size.
Effect: @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ stand proudly for the new pop-punk-techno-metal rendition of the national anthem.

Option 3: "Save us from these idiots!" yells your Minister of De-Escalation, who runs in brandishing a fire extinguisher. "We can't imprison people for having a bit of creative freedom, but we also can't have anyone doing whatever they wanted with our national anthem! Simply require that all singers and performers take a standardized test and obtain a license before they can perform the anthem, perform perfectly in front of a panel of unbiased judges, require renewal of their license every few years, and force legal action on any illegal singers. It'll be expensive-- I mean, great!"
Effect: School softball games hire much cheaper black market singers to open their events.

Option 4: "Long live the creation of the will of the people!" declares @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, who has brought an entirely different mob to your office. "The problem is not the singers, but the song itself! Every day, capitalist exploitative criminals hire only the most elite to perform their backwards and challenging anthem! The average workingman cannot sing along, what with all the 15-note gaps and language from 200 years ago! We need a new anthem, an anthem for the people, which will be so simple and so accessible that anyone can join in and sing praises to the glorious @@TYPE@@!"
Effect: The new anthem inspired by "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" is uninspiring.

Option 5: "Why do we even need an anthem at this point!?" laments @@RANDOMNAME@@, known for sitting in the corner and holding @@HIS@@ ears during sporting events. "Anthems are just loud and obnoxious noise! And every time someone does something weird with the song, there's always a mob at your door! Just don't let @@NAME@@ have a national anthem, it would be so much easier for everyone. I mean, it's not like there's a rule that says every country needs an anthem."
Effect: @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ stand in awkward silence for the @@REGION@@ Olympics Award Ceremony.

Description: Following the rather "unconventional" performance of the @@NAME@@ national anthem by popular singer @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE_1@@ during a large Calvinball game last night, the mob of upset citizens and patriotic patrons have swarmed into your office the next day.

Option 1: "God save the anthem!" shouts middle-aged and enraged sportsfan @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I expected a joyous ballad celebrating our nation, and I get THIS!? Women dancing in scant clothing? Deafening bass? The chorus sung as a rap verse!? Anyone who sings our anthem wrong should be thrown in jail! It's preposterous, barbaric, and un-@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@!!" To prove @@HIS@@ point, @@HE@@ flips your desk and lights it on fire, to the cheers of the mob behind @@HIM@@.
Effect: Schoolchildren are regularly thrown into prison if they miss one note in the national anthem.

Option 2: "Oh, say, can't you see!?" sobs @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE_1@@ as her expensive makeup runs down her bikini. "I... 'embelish' the national anthem, and now I can't go outside without hearing death threats! If we're truly free, I should be allowed to have the creative freedom to sing however I want! Those crusty old men shouldn't have hired me if they can't handle this absolute fire!" She throws a mix-CD on your desk and the fire doubles in size.
Effect: @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ stand proudly for the new pop-punk-techno-metal rendition of the national anthem.

Option 3: "Save us from these idiots!" yells your Minister of De-Escalation, who runs in with a fire extinguisher. "We should not let people perform our anthem freely, but they shouldn't be imprisoned. Simply require that all performers take a standardized test and obtain a license before they can perform the anthem. Test them for a panel of unbiased judges, require annual renewal of their licenses, and force legal action on any illegal singers. It'll be expensive-- I mean, great!"
Effect: Unlicensed artists are violently arrested by the country they praise

Option 4: "Long live the will of the people!" declares @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, who brought a new mob to your office. "The problem is not the singers, but the song itself! Capitalist criminals hire only the most elite to perform their backwards anthem! The average workingman cannot sing along, what with all the 15-note gaps and archaic language! We need a new anthem for the people, which will be so simple and accessible that anyone can join in and sing praises to the glorious @@TYPE@@!"
Effect: The new anthem inspired by "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" is uninspiring.

Option 5: "Why do we even need an anthem at this point!?" laments @@RANDOMNAME@@, known for sitting in the corner and holding @@HIS@@ ears during sporting events. "Anthems are just loud and obnoxious noise! And every time someone does something weird with the song, there's always a mob at your door! Just don't let @@NAME@@ have a national anthem, it would be so much easier for everyone. I mean, it's not like there's a rule that says every country needs an anthem."
Effect: @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ stand in awkward silence for the @@REGION@@ Olympics Award Ceremony.

Option 1: "God save the anthem!" shouts middle-aged and enraged sportsfan @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I expected a joyous ballad celebrating our nation, and I get THIS!? Women dancing in scant clothing? Deafening bass? The chorus sung as a rap verse!? Anyone who sings our anthem wrong should be thrown in jail! It's preposterous, barbaric, and un-@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@!!" To prove @@HIS@@ point, @@HE@@ flips your desk and lights it on fire, to the cheers of the mob behind @@HIM@@.

Option 2: "Oh, say, can't you see!?" sobs @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE_1@@ as her expensive makeup runs down her bikini. "I... 'embellish' the national anthem, and now I can't go outside without hearing death threats! If we're truly free, I should be allowed to have the creative freedom to sing however I want! Those crusty old men shouldn't have hired me if they can't handle this absolute fire!" She throws a mix-CD on your desk and the fire doubles in size.

Option 3: "Save us from these idiots!" yells your Minister of De-Escalation, who runs in with a fire extinguisher. "We should not let people perform our anthem freely, but they shouldn't be imprisoned. Simply require that all performers take a standardized test and obtain a license before they can perform the anthem. Test them for a panel of unbiased judges, require annual renewal of their licenses, and force legal action on any illegal singers. It'll be expensive-- I mean, great!"
Effect: Unlicensed artists are violently arrested by the country they praise.

Option 4: "Long live the will of the people!" declares @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, who brought a new mob to your office. "The problem is with these corporate fatcats who don't give us a singing voice! Capitalist criminals hire only the most elite to perform, leaving the average workingman in awkward silence as someone else sings for him! We should all carry our parts, and that way no one can tarnish the reputation of the glorious @@TYPE@@! There may be some who lack the necessary... erm... talent, but who cares? We will be stronger together!"
Effect: Third grade recorder classes sound better than the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ national anthem

Description: Following the freestyle rap performance of the @@NAME@@ national anthem by popular singer @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE_1@@ during a large Calvinball game last night, the mob of upset citizens and patriotic patrons have swarmed into your office the next day to discuss how performers are to play the national anthem.

Option 2: "Oh, say, can't you see!?" sobs @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE_1@@ as her expensive makeup runs down her bikini. "I... 'embellish' the national anthem, and now I can't go outside without hearing death threats! If we're truly free, I should be allowed to have the creative freedom to sing however I want! Those crusty old men shouldn't have hired me if they can't handle this absolute fire!" She throws a mix-CD on your desk and the fire doubles in size.
Effect: @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ stand proudly for the new experimental pop-punk-techno-metal rendition of the national anthem.

Effect: Unlicensed artists are violently arrested by the country that they praise.

Option 4: "Long live the will of the people!" declares @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, who brought a new mob to your office. "The problem is with these corporate fatcats who don't give us a singing voice! Capitalist criminals hire only the most elite to perform, leaving the average workingman in awkward silence as someone else sings for him! We should all carry our parts, and that way no one can tarnish the reputation of the glorious @@TYPE@@! There may be some who lack the necessary... erm... talent, but who cares? We will be stronger together!"
Effect: Third grade recorder classes sound better than the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ mob singing the national anthem

This is my first issue (that I can remember anyway) and I'm eager to hear any feedback. If anyone has good ideas for national-anthem-related sequiturs then also provide them, especially for option 3, cuz I couldnt think of one for that. I'll also probably cut down on the word count too.

Draft 2: Trimmed excess wording on all options. Redid effect 3.
Draft 3: Reworded option 4 due to apparent redundancy. Also fixed spelling.
Draft 4/Final: Fixed description to not contain opinion
Last edited by Gaazikumukh on Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:38 am, edited 13 times in total.
Note: The hexagram/crescent does not represent any human religion, but rather key features of our own religion and culture.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:44 am

Effect for option 3: if they hire someone to sing the anthem, why not just get the children to sing it themselves?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Gaazikumukh
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaazikumukh » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:51 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Effect for option 3: if they hire someone to sing the anthem, why not just get the children to sing it themselves?

Good point, but I mostly wanted an effect distinct from Effect 1. Although you could probably also say that the kids humorously charge higher rates than the unlicensed singers
Note: The hexagram/crescent does not represent any human religion, but rather key features of our own religion and culture.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:13 am

Gaazikumukh wrote:Option 4: "Long live the will of the people!" declares @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, who brought a new mob to your office. "The problem is not the singers, but the song itself! Capitalist criminals hire only the most elite to perform their backwards anthem! The average workingman cannot sing along, what with all the 15-note gaps and archaic language! We need a new anthem for the people, which will be so simple and accessible that anyone can join in and sing praises to the glorious @@TYPE@@!"

There is already an issue in the game that asks you to choose what kind of anthem you want. So I think you should cut this option out.
Last edited by Baggieland on Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:29 am

Gaazikumukh wrote:Option 2: "Oh, say, can't you see!?" sobs @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE_1@@ as her expensive makeup runs down her bikini. "I... 'embelish' the national anthem, and now I can't go outside without hearing death threats! If we're truly free, I should be allowed to have the creative freedom to sing however I want! Those crusty old men shouldn't have hired me if they can't handle this absolute fire!" She throws a mix-CD on your desk and the fire doubles in size.

Spelling mistake. It's "embellish".
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Gaazikumukh
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaazikumukh » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:26 pm

Baggieland wrote:
Gaazikumukh wrote:Option 4: "Long live the will of the people!" declares @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, who brought a new mob to your office. "The problem is not the singers, but the song itself! Capitalist criminals hire only the most elite to perform their backwards anthem! The average workingman cannot sing along, what with all the 15-note gaps and archaic language! We need a new anthem for the people, which will be so simple and accessible that anyone can join in and sing praises to the glorious @@TYPE@@!"

There is already an issue in the game that asks you to choose what kind of anthem you want. So I think you should cut this option out.

Damn, okay. My logic was that, since this issue is handling the whole singer aspect rather than the anthem itself, that the anthem be changed to eliminate the need for singers. For now I'll remove that option and I'll probably reword it so that it's focused more on the abolishment of the performers rather than the changing of the anthem.

The New California Republic wrote:
Gaazikumukh wrote:Option 2: "Oh, say, can't you see!?" sobs @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE_1@@ as her expensive makeup runs down her bikini. "I... 'embelish' the national anthem, and now I can't go outside without hearing death threats! If we're truly free, I should be allowed to have the creative freedom to sing however I want! Those crusty old men shouldn't have hired me if they can't handle this absolute fire!" She throws a mix-CD on your desk and the fire doubles in size.

Spelling mistake. It's "embellish".

L's. I hate L's. My grandfather hated them too, even before they mixed with his i's and 1's.

Gaazikumukh
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaazikumukh » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:57 pm

Bump for feedback on the new version of option 4 (and the issue as a whole) before I consider taking it to submission

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:06 am

I'm not keen on this opening, as its unclear what the actual premise is.

What does "unconventional" mean in this context? What actually happened?

Report to us what happened, rather than giving an opinion of the events.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Gaazikumukh
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaazikumukh » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:04 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

I'm not keen on this opening, as its unclear what the actual premise is.

What does "unconventional" mean in this context? What actually happened?

Report to us what happened, rather than giving an opinion of the events.

I seem to recall there being an issue at one point where the entire joke was that no one really was saying what actually happened, and the only clues as to the unspeakable actions that transpired was through bits of dialogue in the options. I think that was what I was thinking of when I made this.

Nevertheless, since I cant find that issue, I'm changed unconventional to freestyle rap; this way there's something concrete about the performance

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?