NATION

PASSWORD

ISSUE IDEA: Plastic Fantastic

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

ISSUE IDEA: Plastic Fantastic

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:22 pm

I tried to come up with a non-capitalist version of this issue, I failed miserably.

[title] Plastic Fantastic

[desc] With drought and bushfires depleting and contaminating water supplies along @@NAME@@'s coastline, people are beginning to wonder if the ban on plastic bottles was a good idea.

[validity] must allow capitalism, must have banned plastic bottles

[option] "Look at this @@LEADER@@!" states @@RANDOMNAME@@, the former CEO of Greenville Water Co, showing you a glass full of ash. "I knew you guys wouldn't care, so I took the liberty of replacing all the water in your cups with @@ANIMAL@@ Hills water. This is what the people of @@ANIMAL@@ Hills have to deal with every day. That or diabetes from drinking too much soda! My water bottles used to come from Lake Greenville, which is always filled with snowmelt. My plastic bottles will transport water from places that have too much to places that don’t have enough. That way, I can make a profit agai… I mean, provide an essential service!"
[effect] single use plastic bottles are worth six times their weight in gold

[option] "Yea, that's lovely." Sarcastically remarks @@RANDOMNAME@@, a poor person suffering through the drought. "Big companies can price gouge, whilst we dehydrate. We already suffering the horrors of turning on the tap and watching nothing come out. Now we have to break the bank to get some more? @@LEADER@@, legalise water bottles, but give them to us for free!"
[effect] single use plastic water bottles have been rated the nation's most virtuous product

[option] "How dare you?" questions famed environmentalist @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose Lake Greenville town is currently facing a deluge, taking a sip from @HIS@@ single-use plastic Ecsy-Cola bottle. "People in these situations often look to us to look after the environment and prevent fires and droughts from becoming so server. Yet they themselves don’t want to look after the environment. Just because they’re a little too fussy about water quality or because they want to use excess amounts of water. Keep plastic bottles illegal!"
[effect] citizens are criticising the government for lack of dihydrogen monoxide in the water supply
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:40 pm

The last option, if the speaker wants to keep the ban on plastic bottles, how come he is drinking from one?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:59 pm

Baggieland wrote:The last option, if the speaker wants to keep the ban on plastic bottles, how come he is drinking from one?

Thanks for the feedback. The reason why I got him to drink from a plastic bottle is because he's a hypocrite. Should I get rid of that?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:54 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Thanks for the feedback. The reason why I got him to drink from a plastic bottle is because he's a hypocrite. Should I get rid of that?

How did he get hold of it if plastic bottles are already banned???

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:10 am

Baggieland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Thanks for the feedback. The reason why I got him to drink from a plastic bottle is because he's a hypocrite. Should I get rid of that?

How did he get hold of it if plastic bottles are already banned???

Ha. I assumed only water bottles were banned, and not soda bottles. Silly assumption come to think of it, so thanks for the suggestion! I'll remove it at next edit

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:32 am

[desc] With drought and bushfires depleting and contaminating water supplies along @@NAME@@'s coastline, people are beginning to wonder if the ban on plastic bottles was a good idea.

This premise reads like an option, as it's too much of a non-sequitur.

Depleted water supplies might be an issue (and indeed, I think it already is), but drinking water tends to be the last use of water to come under threat, as it has priority over other water uses. Irrigation, industrial water use, washing and so on would all be problems first.

If drought got to the stage where even drinking water was a problem, then that would likely constitute a national emergency with emergency responses being made. In that situation the material the containers come in is hardly going to be top of people's minds. They'll be using whatever container is to hand to deliver water supplies to families, and the question of whether a ban on single-use small-volume disposable plastic bottles has made the distribution of water marginally more difficult is hardly likely to be the first question on their minds.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:02 am

Thanks for the feedback
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

This premise reads like an option, as it's too much of a non-sequitur.
Fair enough, thanks!

Yep. This is the current situation right now in Australia (which inspired me to write this issue. Some towns are already under level 5+ water restrictions

See, I'm genuinely not sure if it has, it might have, but don't think so.

Let me clarify, you're saying that plastic bottles would be legalised by default in such a situation? I see. Thank you!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:49 am

No, I'm saying that the premise doesn't make sense in terms of priorities. If you have a drought so bad that the drinking water supply is compromised, then there are way bigger issues to deal with.

Imagine the following scenarios, which have the same flaw:

You arrive home to find house is on fire and your wife and kids are trapped upstairs. This begs the question: should you wipe your feet when you step in the house?

Child abuse scandals have rocked the church, with hundreds of victims coming forward to speak of their suffering at the hand of priests. Is the rule of celibacy creating sexual frustration for priests?

The people are starving! Let them eat cake! But chocolate or strawberry?

I mean, that last one might actually work, because its self-aware in it's ridiculousness and has a satirical intent, so maybe a bad example. But yeah, what I'm basically saying is that the question you present might be tangentially related, but the framing suggests that it isn't the issue that should be dealt with. Nobody is going to go "oh terrible droughts leaving people without enough water even to drink, if only they sold water in the shops in plastic bottles instead of glass bottles, that would be so much easier for those poor people."

If you want to present a decision that calls for plastic bottles to be restored in response to a drought, then do so as an option, not as an issue premise.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:39 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:No, I'm saying that the premise doesn't make sense in terms of priorities. If you have a drought so bad that the drinking water supply is compromised, then there are way bigger issues to deal with.

Imagine the following scenarios, which have the same flaw:

You arrive home to find house is on fire and your wife and kids are trapped upstairs. This begs the question: should you wipe your feet when you step in the house?

Child abuse scandals have rocked the church, with hundreds of victims coming forward to speak of their suffering at the hand of priests. Is the rule of celibacy creating sexual frustration for priests?

I mean, that last one might actually work, because its self-aware in it's ridiculousness and has a satirical intent, so maybe a bad example. But yeah, what I'm basically saying is that the question you present might be tangentially related, but the framing suggests that it isn't the issue that should be dealt with. Nobody is going to go "oh terrible droughts leaving people without enough water even to drink, if only they sold water in the shops in plastic bottles instead of glass bottles, that would be so much easier for those poor people."

If you want to present a decision that calls for plastic bottles to be restored in response to a drought, then do so as an option, not as an issue premise.

Except that this is literally Australia's approach:

https://amp.smh.com.au/national/nsw/ars ... 53l89.html
https://amp.9news.com.au/article/a57b02 ... r/?cs=9397
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5838 ... -dry-town/

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:56 am

And is the issue there what the bottles were made of?

Would the response have changed if they were glass bottles or cardboard cartons?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:38 am

I attempted to coauthor a draft like this, except it was about the price of bottled water rather than the material. :P
boop
oh my god the writing... how the heck I thought my English was bad now
No wait I'm suddenly remembering that for about a year I couldn't type worth a tarnation.

Frankly, bottled water being an issue for nations without a drought would make more sense than bottled water being the issue for nations with a drought.

Edit: Sorry, accidentally said I attempted it, when in fact I had not; I had attempted to coauthor an existing draft from someone who's long-since CTE'd.
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:58 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Imagine the following scenarios, which have the same flaw:

The middle question in that list has been raised in RL, as an argument against the policy of [expected] celibacy for Roman Catholic priests.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:07 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Child abuse scandals have rocked the church, with hundreds of victims coming forward to speak of their suffering at the hand of priests. Is the rule of celibacy creating sexual frustration for priests?
The middle question in that list has been raised in RL, as an argument against the policy of [expected] celibacy for Roman Catholic priests.
Yeah. There are conceivably more important issues, like if priests who aren't themselves commiting abuse are nonetheless aware of their fellow priests' misbehavior but keeping silent about it as a gesture of "institutional solidarity", but without that angle specifically being brought up, the biggest question would be "why does this keep happening and how do we stop it?", and that is a commonly-suggested answer. What to do about the criminals themselves is pretty obvious and a matter for the courts, not @@LEADER@@. (Admittedly, questioning the rule of celibacy is probably also a matter for religious authorities, not @@LEADER@@.)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:56 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:And is the issue there what the bottles were made of?

Would the response have changed if they were glass bottles or cardboard cartons?

Oh, I see. Right. Makes sense. Thanks. I wrote this issue under the assumption that there were no single use water containers, period. I was actually thinking of adding an option about glass/canned/boxed water containers, but thought it was too obvious, so I chose not to. I see. Cheers

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?