NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] Weeping Widows

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[ACCEPTED] Weeping Widows

Postby Jutsa » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:02 am

Y'know, rereading this, this is one of the most tame drafts I've made in a long time.

Title: Weeping Widows
The Issue: Churches have been denying marriage to widows and widowers on the grounds it would be unfaithful to their late spouses.
Validity: Permanent Marriage; Monogamy; Quite Religious; Adult

Option 1: "It's sacrilege, plain and simple," says clergyman @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose church has declined marriage to half the village it operates in. "It's a betrayal of the oath of eternal love, a scourge on family honor and, besides, can you imagine the awkward situation it would lead to in the life after this if they were to remarry? It should be the government's responsibility to deny anyone to remarry, even after their loved one has departed."
[effect] the departed look almost as dead the living

Option 2: "When I said until death do us part, that didn't mean for the both of us!" bemoans widow @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, a suspect of her late husband's dismemberment. "It's not fair that I should have to live unhappy and alone for the rest of my life because my husband decided to croak. In fact, you should legalize divorces so people don't have to live unhappy and alone with their living spouses either."
[effect] many adults are moving back in with one of their parents

Option 3: "Forbid this and criminalize that. Surely you can't be considering these extreme ideas," sighs @@RANDOMNAME@@, a gravedigger with a big shovel. "Clergies should not be allowed to deny marriage to someone on the grounds of being previously wed. But rash decisions are bad decisions. Disallowing divorce is an effective deterrent for rushed marriages, but similarly we should forbid those left behind from remarrying for a year. This will give respect for the departed as well as give ample time to work through their grief."
[effect] remarrying requires physical proof of late parties' levels of decomposition

Option 4: "Wait, go back to that part 'about until death do us part'," says your mildly psychotic Minister of Tying Loose Ends as @@HE@@ finishes crafting yet another noose. "This wouldn't be an issue if every couple were to be killed at the same time! Think about it. Would you want to be alone, Great Creator forbid you pass on before your spouse? Would your spouse want that? Give my organization the go-ahead and we'll mandate the sacrifice of all newly made widows and widowers."
[effect] marriage really is a death sentence

The Issue: Churches have been denying marriage to widows and widowers on the grounds that it'd be unfaithful to those who've departed.

Validity: Adultery is legal
Option 1a: "It's sacrilege, plain and simple," says clergyman @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose organization has declined marriage to half the village it operates in. "It's a betrayal of the oath of eternal love, a scourge on family honor and, besides, can you imagine what an awkward situation that'd be in the life after this? It should be the government's responsibility to deny anyone to remarry, even after their love has departed."
[effect] it's hard to settle down after death

Validity: No Adultery
Option 1b: "It's sacrilege, plain and simple," says clergyman @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose organization has declined marriage to half the village it operates in. "It's a betrayal of the oath of eternal love, a scourge on family honor and, besides, can you imagine what an awkward situation that'd be in the life after this? If it's a government-enforced crime to have an affair when one's spouse is alive, it's should also be a crime if their love has departed."

Option 2: "Until death do us part - that didn't mean both of us!" bemoans widow @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, former suspect of her late husband's dismemberment. "It's not fair that I should have to live unhappy and alone for the rest of my life. In fact, you should legalize divorces so people don't have to live unhappy and alone with their living spouses either."
[effect] recent widows must undergo divorce procedures with their dead husbands

Option 3: "Forbid this and criminalize that. Surely you can't be considering these extreme ideas," sighs @@RANDOMNAME@@, a gravedigger with a big shovel. "Clergies should not be allowed to deny marriage to someone on the grounds of being previously wed. But rash decisions are bad decisions. Disallowing divorce is an effective deterrent for rushed marriages, but similarly we should forbid those left behind from remarrying for a year. This will give respect for the departed as well as give ample time to work through their grief."
[effect] remarrying requires physical proof of late parties' levels of decomposition

Validity: No Ritual Sacrifice
Option 4a: "Wait, go back to that part 'about until death do us part'," says your mildly psychotic Minister of Tying Loose Ends as @@HE@@ finishes crafting yet another noose. "This wouldn't be an issue if every couple were to be killed at the same time! Think about it. Would you want to be alone, Great Creator forbid you pass on before your spouse? Would your spouse want that? Give my organization the go-ahead and we'll mandate the sacrifice of all newly made widows and widowers."

Validity: Ritual Sacrifice
Option 4b: "Wait, go back to that part about 'until death do us part'," says your mildly psychotic Minister of Tying Loose Ends as @@HE@@ finishes crafting yet another noose. "This wouldn't be an issue if every couple were to be killed at the same time! Think about it. Would you want to be alone, Great Creator forbid you pass on before your spouse? Would your spouse want that? We already hold religious sacrifices; it'd be most humane to sacrifice those left behind."

The Issue: Clergies have been denying marriage to widows and widowers on the grounds that it'd be unfaithful to those who've departed.

Option 1a: "It's sacrilege, plain and simple," says clergyman @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose organization has declined marriage to half the village it operates in. "It's a betrayal of the oath of eternal love, a scourge on family honor and, besides, can you imagine what an awkward situation that'd be in the life after this? It should be the government's responsibility to deny anyone to remarry, even after their love has departed."

Option 1b: "It's sacrilege, plain and simple," says clergyman @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose organization has declined marriage to half the village it operates in. "It's a betrayal of the oath of eternal love, a scourge on family honor and, besides, can you imagine what an awkward situation that'd be in the life after this? If it's a government-enforced crime to have an affair when one's spouse is alive, it's should also be a crime if their love has departed."

Option 2: "We agreed to be bonded for life — that wasn't supposed to mean both our lives," bemoans widow @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, former suspect of her late husband's dismemberment. "It's not fair that I should have to live unhappy and alone for the rest of my life. In fact, you should legalize divorces so people don't have to live unhappy and alone with their living spouses either."
[effect] recent widows must undergo divorce procedures with their dead husbands

Option 3: "Legalize this and criminalize that. Surely you can't be considering these extreme ideas," sighs @@RANDOMNAME@@, a gravedigger with a big shovel. "Clergies should not be allowed to deny marriage to someone on the grounds of being previously wed. But rash decisions are bad decisions. Disallowing divorce is an effective deterrent for rushed marriages, but similarly we should forbid those left behind from remarrying for a year. This will give respect for the departed as well as give ample time to work through their grief."

Validity: No Ritual Sacrifice
Option 4a: "Wait, go back to that part about being bonded for life," says your mildly psychotic Minister of Tying Loose Ends as @@HE@@ finishes crafting yet another noose. "This wouldn't be an issue if every couple were to be killed at the same time! Think about it. Would you want to be alone, Great Creator forbid you pass on before your spouse? Would your spouse want that? Give my organization the go-ahead and we'll mandate the sacrifice of all newly made widows and widowers."

Validity: Ritual Sacrifice
Option 4b: "Wait, go back to that part about being bonded for life," says your mildly psychotic Minister of Tying Loose Ends as @@HE@@ finishes crafting yet another noose. "This wouldn't be an issue if every couple were to be killed at the same time! Think about it. Would you want to be alone, Great Creator forbid you pass on before your spouse? Would your spouse want that? We already hold religious sacrifices; it'd be most humane to sacrifice those left behind."

The Issue: Clergies are often denying marriage to widows and widowers.
Validity: Permanent Marriage; Monogamy; Not Atheist; Adult

Option 1a: "It's sacrilege, plain and simple," says clergyman @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose organization has declined marriage to half the village it operates in. "It's a betrayal of the oath of eternal love, a scourge on family honor and, besides, can you imagine what an awkward situation that'd be in the life after this? It should be every church's responsibility to deny anyone to remarry, even after their love has departed."

Option 1b: "It's sacrilege, plain and simple," says clergyman @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose organization has declined marriage to half the village it operates in. "It's a betrayal of the oath of eternal love, a scourge on family honor and, besides, can you imagine what an awkward situation that'd be in the life after this? If it's a crime to have an affair when one's spouse is alive, it's a crime if their love has departed."

Option 2: "We agreed to be bonded for life — that doesn't mean both our lives," bemoans widow @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, former suspect of her late husband's dismemberment. "It's not fair that I should have to live unhappy and alone for the rest of my life. In fact, you should legalize divorces so people don't have to live unhappy and alone with their living spouses either."
[effect] newly made widows must undergo divorce procedures with their dead husbands

Option 3: "Legalize this and criminalize that. Surely you can't be considering these extreme ideas," sighs @@RANDOMNAME@@, a gravedigger with a big shovel. "Clergies should not be allowed to deny marriage to someone on the grounds of being previously wed. But rash decisions are bad decisions. Disallowing divorce is an effective deterrent for rushed marriages, but similarly we should forbid those left behind from remarrying for a year. This will give respect for the departed as well as give ample time to work through their grief."

Validity: Euthanasia is legal
Option 4a: "Wait, go back to that part about being bonded for life," says your mildly psychotic Minister of Tying Loose Ends as @@HE@@ finishes crafting yet another noose. "This wouldn't be an issue if every couple were to be killed at the same time. Think about it! Would you want to be alone, Great Creator forbid you pass on before your spouse? Give my organization the go-ahead and we'll mandate the euthanizing of all newly made widows and widowers."

Validity: Euthanasia is banned
Option 4b: "Wait, go back to that part about being bonded for life," says your mildly psychotic Minister of Tying Loose Ends as @@HE@@ finishes crafting yet another noose. "This wouldn't be an issue if every couple were to be killed at the same time. Think about it! Would you want to be alone, Great Creator forbid you pass on before your spouse? Give my organization the go-ahead and we'll mandate the euthanizing of all newly made widows and widowers. Oh, and legalize euthanasia while you're at it."

Option 1a: "It's sacrilege, plain and simple," says clergyman @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose organization has declined marriage to half the village it operates in. "It's a betrayal of the oath of eternal love, a scourge on family honor and, besides, can you imagine what an awkward situation that'd be in the life after this? It should be every church's responsibility to deny anyone to remarry, even after their love has departed."

Option 1b: "It's sacrilege, plain and simple," says clergyman @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose organization has declined marriage to half the village it operates in. "It's a betrayal of the oath of eternal love, a scourge on family honor and, besides, can you imagine what an awkward situation that'd be in the life after this? If it's a crime to have an affair when one's spouse is alive, it's a crime if their love has departed."

Option 2: "We agreed to be bonded for life — that doesn't mean both our lives," bemoans widow @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, former suspect of her late husband's dismemberment. "It's not fair that I should have to live unhappy and alone for the rest of my life. In fact, you should legalize divorces so people don't have to live unhappy and alone with their living spouses either."
[effect] newly made widows must undergo divorce procedures with their dead husbands

Option 3: "Legalize this and criminalize that. Surely there's a middle ground," sighs @@RANDOMNAME@@, a gravedigger with a big shovel. "Clergies should not be allowed to deny marriage to someone on the grounds of being previously wed. But rash decisions are bad decisions. Disallowing divorce is an effective deterrent for rash marriages, but similarly we should forbid those left behind from remarrying for a year. This will give respect for the departed as well as give ample time to work through their grief."

Option 3a: "Wait, go back to that part about being bonded for life," says your mildly psychotic Minister of Tying Loose Ends as @@HE@@ finishes crafting yet another noose. "This wouldn't be an issue if every couple were to be killed at the same time. Think about it! Would you want to be alone, Great Creator forbid you pass on before your spouse? Give my organization the go-ahead and we'll mandate the euthanizing of all newly made widows and widowers."

Option 3b: "Wait, go back to that part about being bonded for life," says your mildly psychotic Minister of Tying Loose Ends as @@HE@@ finishes crafting yet another noose. "This wouldn't be an issue if every couple were to be killed at the same time. Think about it! Would you want to be alone, Great Creator forbid you pass on before your spouse? Give my organization the go-ahead and we'll mandate the euthanizing of all newly made widows and widowers. Oh, and legalize euthanasia while you're at it."

The Issue: More and more widows and widowers are being denied marriage.

Option 1a: "It's sacrilege, plain and simple," says clergyman @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose organization has declined marriage to half the village it operates in. "It's a betrayal of the oath of eternal love, and besides, can you imagine what an awkward situation that'd be in the life after this? It should be every church's responsibility to deny anyone to remarry, even after their love has departed."

Option 1b: "It's sacrilege, plain and simple," says clergyman @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose organization has declined marriage to half the village it operates in. "It's a betrayal of the oath of eternal love, and besides, can you imagine what an awkward situation that'd be in the life after this? If it's a crime to have an affair when one's spouse is alive, it's a crime if their love has departed."

[effect] I have no idea tbh

Option 3a: "Wait, go back to that part about being bonded for life," says your mildly psychotic Minister of Tying Loose Ends as @@HE@@ finishes crafting yet another noose. "This wouldn't be an issue if every couple were to be killed at the same time. Think about it! Would you want to be alone, Great Creator forbid you pass on before your spouse? Give my organization the go-ahead and we'll mandate the euthanizing of all newly made widows and widowers."

Option 3b: "Wait, go back to that part about being bonded for life," says your mildly psychotic Minister of Tying Loose Ends as @@HE@@ finishes crafting yet another noose. "This wouldn't be an issue if every couple were to be killed at the same time. Think about it! Would you want to be alone, Great Creator forbid you pass on before your spouse? Give my organization the go-ahead and we'll mandate the euthanizing of all newly made widows and widowers. Oh, and legalize euthanasia while you're at it."

Note: I made this issue specifically not for atheist nations because, tbh, idk if this'd even be an issue for those kinds of nations.

Previous last edit made Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:52 pm
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 27 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Window Land
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Window Land » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:38 pm

Jutsa wrote:Oh god what have I made

Grammar errors.
formerly suspect of her late husband's dismemberment. "It's not fair that I should have to live unhappy and alone the rest of my life.

Bolded should probably by formerly suspected. Also, add "for" after "alone".
Edit: the bolded should actually be "who was formerly suspected"
Last edited by Window Land on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bored college student who is probably supposed to be doing something important.
Woodie Flowers wrote:If you’re anti-science, you’re pro-stupid.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote:I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Winston Churchill wrote:Democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.

Randall Munroe wrote: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
Free Speech

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:30 pm

Fair :rofl:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:21 pm

Jutsa wrote:The Issue: More and more widows and widowers are being denied marriage.

Why?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:36 am

Why drag religion into this? @@LEADER@@ generally rule over the church, even in theocracies. The Papal States were a rare exception
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:43 am

I actually wrote an issue on this (I even used this title, so this made me do a double-take). I self-deleted, so you don't need to worry about overlap.

It's a really interesting subject, but a hard one to write.

Baggieland wrote:
Jutsa wrote:The Issue: More and more widows and widowers are being denied marriage.

Why?

I agree you have to decide why. There is stuff out there on communities that ban remarriage. They're generally communities that stick to traditional religious customs, IIRC.

EDIT: My draft was loosely inspired by this, if that helps you, Jutsa.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:26 am

I even used this title
:rofl:

Would you like to share your draft and maybe try gluing the best of both worlds together, or just see where I roll with this?
Will be sure to clarify the issue description though. Silly me. :roll:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:05 am

The Issue: More and more widows and widowers are being denied marriage.

You've accidentally left this opening unfinished. I presume this was a cut-and-paste fail?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:51 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:You've accidentally left this opening unfinished. I presume this was a cut-and-paste fail?
Sounds more like he's being overzealous in following your frequent advice of keeping openings short and to-the-point :)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:59 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:You've accidentally left this opening unfinished. I presume this was a cut-and-paste fail?
Sounds more like he's being overzealous in following your frequent advice of keeping openings short and to-the-point :)

Ja. :)
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:12 am

It was a bit of both, I think. I was going to make it overly long, decided to finish the rest of the issue first since I wasn't sure about the atheism part yet,
looked back at it, and thought "oh this is actually kind of a nice length", and kinda didn't put much thought into "oh it's too vague"

I'll get to working on it. It's just a matter of doing that. If you haven't noticed, I'm a lot better at scribbling out fresh ideas than ironing out old ones.
One of the many reasons I'd probably not make a good editor. :blush:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:55 am

Changed the wording of the description to include "clergymen", and then I added "due to strict interpretation of the nation's statue of permanent marriage."

I know that doesn't have much "story" to it, but honestly I don't really want to bloat the text too much with a story for this particular draft.

Also, finally made option 2's effect line... :P

edit: also added "a scourge on family honor and" to option 1(a/b). Dropped the serial comma, but only because there were so many commas... :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:00 am

There should be an option for supporting the position that divorce is still illegal but remarriage after death is permitted. You might worry that's a "do nothing" option that affirms the current status quo, but really the current status quo hasn't been established yet: the game doesn't track a policy on whether remarriage after death is permitted and so the issue can't assume the player's intent one way or another (and currently doesn't, instead suggesting that the laws are vague and the people conducting marriages are filling in the details according to their own beliefs). Keep in mind that a nation that receives this issue has already decided that divorce is bad and probably wants to keep that policy, and so there should be at least one option that's relatively pro-freedom while still keeping the policy.

The logical result of such a ruling, of course, would be a lot more married people dying under suspicious circumstances...

(Unless you also legalized dueling, then everything might be done perfectly openly and honorably :))

I don't think it's necessary (since the point is to have a pro-freedom-ish option), but if you want to add a little spice to the compromise option, it's worth noting that several religions proscribe a mandatory mourning period of a year or so before remarrying after death (or even divorce, since many of these religions actually do allow that). Besides the obvious motivation to not take marriage or divorce lightly, this also has the added benefit of giving enough time for a woman's pregnancy to become clear, leaving no ambiguity about if a child comes from the new husband or the old one (genetic testing didn't exist back when these laws where written).

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:10 am

Oh for sure... didn't even think about that. Will work on that, thank you Trot. :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:20 am

Bump~ "it's been seven months" Oh yeah...

*crickets*

So yeah I finally changed option 3. Let me know if the old option 3 should still stay (it was a euthanasia reversal), but I think this works nicely as-is. :)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:14 pm

Jutsa wrote:Option 3: "Legalize this and criminalize that. Surely there's a middle ground," sighs @@RANDOMNAME@@, a gravedigger with a big shovel. "Clergies should not be allowed to deny marriage to someone on the grounds of being previously wed. But rash decisions are bad decisions. Disallowing divorce is an effective deterrent for rash marriages, but similarly we should forbid those left behind from remarrying for a year. This will give respect for the departed as well as give ample time to work through their grief."
This wording is contradictory.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the speaker blatantly signposting "this is the middle ground option", instead of justifying @@HIS/HER@@ position on its own merits. Especially with a word like "surely", which makes it sound like the speaker is more just desparate to find a middle ground somehow, rather than seriously believing that this is the best choice.

Jutsa wrote:[effect] marriage really is a death sentence
Umm, you should maybe change the effect line too when the rest of the option has been changed to something completely different from what it was before?

Jutsa wrote:So yeah I finally changed option 3. Let me know if the old option 3 should still stay (it was a euthanasia reversal), but I think this works nicely as-is. :)
Well, for what it's worth, at least one real-life culture did in fact practice this. Well, minus the "painless" part of euthanasia.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:42 am

"It's been 10 months" I'm aware of this "you've had this draft up since 2019" DON'T RUSH ME

I actually didn't really read it that way, oddly enough. Option 3 felt more like "Surely you can see there's a sensible approach" rather than "Surely we can think of something that pleases everyone" - particularly given the first sentence.

That said, I've changed it to hopefully be more clear.

Old option 3 has also been readded as option 4. Is it a lot of options? Well, yeah, kind of; but the real world merit wikipedia article sold me on that. Granted... yeah, it was more optional, and quite a bit more painful, but then again this is meant to be the crazy option for a political satire where you can grow people in vats to eat them.
Plus, lets be honest, how could I pass up that effect line? :P

Oh, right - I also made a new effect line for option 3. That... was a pretty silly oversight, not gonna lie, though I admit I struggled (as usual) to come up with one.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013

Postby Electrum » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:17 am

I think you can surely elaborate a bit more in the premise. I get that it's supposed to be concise, but it doesn't provide enough context as to why the clergy are denying marriages.

What's the relation between this issue and civil marriages? Presumably it's possible in these countries to either go to a minister of a religious authority or a secular celebrant to get married. You should consider that interaction too -- perhaps a high religious validity?

Option 4 -- I don't think euthanasia/no euthanasia is the right validity. It should be more ritual sacrifice/no ritual sacrifice. Nothing to do with euthanasia. Interesting this practice has been used historically, so very happy to see it in this issue.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:11 pm

Alrighty, finally getting around to this...

Electrum wrote:I think you can surely elaborate a bit more in the premise. I get that it's supposed to be concise, but it doesn't provide enough context as to why the clergy are denying marriages.

Is "on the grounds that it'd be unfaithful to those who've departed" tacked to the end of it sufficient? I don't feel comfortable adding too much information because, well, option 1's speaker's already making most of that peace.

Electrum also wrote:What's the relation between this issue and civil marriages? Presumably it's possible in these countries to either go to a minister of a religious authority or a secular celebrant to get married. You should consider that interaction too -- perhaps a high religious validity?

Right. Didn't consider secular marriages. I don't think changing "not atheist" to "fairly religious" is too radical a change to validity. I've also reworded both variants of option 1 to reflect the clergyman's desire for the government to mandate no remarriages regardless of religion.

There's... definitely an interesting case to be made about letting clergies deny marriages but let seculars do their thing, although a) too many options and b) I mean theoretically that's what the dismiss button would essentially be doing. Aside from that, I don't really think there's much more I can elaborate on without bloating the draft up even more.

Electrum finally wrote:Option 4 -- I don't think euthanasia/no euthanasia is the right validity. It should be more ritual sacrifice/no ritual sacrifice. Nothing to do with euthanasia.

Good point; Trot also mentioned the lack of a painless part. Hopefully the tweaked options work well. :)

ed. "It's been two. stinking. months." indeed.
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:31 am

Right, yeah, it's been another month and I'm still working on this. :P

Made a couple of small adjustments. I might be reworking the layout of the options or some of the other wording, but this has proven to be a difficult snake to rangle.

Many thanks to Sacara for all of their help with this so far, though. It's more polished, but it's still hard to wiggle around and make humorous.
Any and all suggestions are welcome. :)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:28 am

I'm a bit busy at the moment, so don't have time to check right now, but don't we already have an issue about this?
(Or maybe I'm just thinking of a draft, by somebody else, that was posted here but didn't reach the stage of entering use?)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:06 pm

Yeah, Joy posted earlier in this thread that they had made a draft like this - with the same name at that. :)

I think I like this draft as-is, personally. But I'm still keeping it up in case anyone else has any suggestions... or if anyone agrees the layout of the options should be changed.

TalAkMaChen
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby TalAkMaChen » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:31 pm

Congrats, it finally made it into NS as issue #1598! :)
Last edited by TalAkMaChen on Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ser Ghez from Korbucci, President of TalAkMaChen

"It seems that sometimes I do get lost in details." — Ser Ghez, looking at annotations made to issues piling up on the desk

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:13 pm

Congrats!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:52 pm

Thanks guys :) I wasn't expecting another draft of mine to make it. Glad to see this one did. :lol:

Thank you Kasch for taking this one on. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?