NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] No Need to Beat Yourself up about it

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

[SUBMITTED] No Need to Beat Yourself up about it

Postby Baggieland » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:39 pm

A touchy topic!

[TITLE] No Need to Beat Yourself Up About it

[DESCRIPTION] Now it is the week of Holy Violet and the spiritual highlight is the last day when young men and boys self-flagellate in the streets in order to prove devotion to their god. This performance is always a bloody spectacle and sometimes participants end up in hospital.

[VALIDITY] religion not banned

[OPTION] "This is a horrid display," declares @@RANDOMNAME(FEMALE)@@, a young mother who had to dodge the self-flagellaters as she brought her kids home from school. "How can this primitive horror show be permitted in our civilized society? At the end of the day, there's so much blood in the street that it looks like a battlefield. Ban this frightful demonstration and force those Violetist weirdos to pray nicely!"

[EFFECT] devotion to God is only skin-deep these days

[OPTION] "Yes, blood in the street never looks good @@LEADER@@," concurs @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Chief of Police. "Foreign news agencies that aren't friendly towards us always claim that the blood comes from @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ police brutality – be that as it may – we can't give them fuel to add to their fire. Tell these Violetists that if they must self-flagellate, then do it inside their own homes: not on the streets!"

[EFFECT] the sewers have turned into rivers of blood

[OPTION] "If eternal damnation is what you seek @@LEADER@@, then go ahead and ban it," informs @@RANDOMNAME(MALE)@@, a Violetist priest, as his nurse tends to his many wounds. "Holy Violet has been observed for a thousand years and the act of self-flagellation is the pinnacle of the week. We must be allowed to follow our religious ideals without hindrance. In fact, it wouldn't hurt if the government could be more supportive of us: start portraying Holy Violet in a more positive way and let's see some advertisements about the benefits of self-flagellation. OOUCH!" he screams as his nurse tends to a particularly deep wound.

[EFFECT] the new government adverts are painful to see

[OPTION] "That's not a bad idea," muses @@RANDOMNAME@@, the principal of your niece's school, who came to your office to discuss the best way to discipline your wayward niece. "Everyone's going on these days about how we shouldn't use corporal punishment on kids any more, which quite frankly, makes my job harder and not as much fun as it used to be. If teachers shouldn't touch the children, let the kids punish themselves: Timmy, you didn't do your homework, self-flagellate for ten minutes. It's perfect!"

[EFFECT] kids feel more beat up than ever after a hard day at school

[DESCRIPTION] Now it is the week of Holy Violet and the spiritual highlight is the last day when young men and boys self-flagellate in the streets in order to prove devotion to their god. This performance is always a bloody spectacle and sometimes participants end up in hospital.

[VALIDITY] religion not banned, Violetism not banned, doesn't have mandatory non-Violetism state religion

[OPTION] "This is a horrid display," declares @@RANDOMNAME(FEMALE)@@, a young mother who had to dodge the self-flagellaters as she brought her kids home from school. "How can this primitive horror show be permitted in our civilized society? At the end of the day, there's so much blood in the street that it looks like a battlefield. Ban this frightful demonstration and force those Violetist weirdos to pray nicely!"

[EFFECT] devotion to God is only skin-deep these days

[OPTION] "Yes, blood in the street never looks good @@LEADER@@," concurs @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Chief of Police. "Foreign news agencies that aren't friendly towards us always claim that the blood comes from @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ police brutality – be that as it may – we can't give them fuel to add to their fire. Tell these Violetists that if they must self-flagellate, then do it inside their own homes: not on the streets!"

[OPTION] "If eternal damnation is what you seek @@LEADER@@, then go ahead and ban it," informs Sebastian Siena, a Violetist priest, as his nurse tends to his many wounds. "Holy Violet has been observed for a thousand years and the act of self-flagellation is the pinnacle of the week. We must be allowed to follow our religious ideals without hindrance. In fact, it wouldn't hurt if the government could be more supportive of us: start portraying Holy Violet in a more positive way and let's see some advertisements about the benefits of self-flagellation. OOUCH!" he screams as his nurse tends to a particularly deep wound.

[OPTION] "That's not a bad idea," muses @@RANDOMNAME@@, the principal of your niece's school, who came to your office to discuss the best way to discipline your wayward niece. "Everyone's going on these days about how we shouldn't use corporal punishment on kids any more, which quite frankly, makes my job harder and not as much fun as it used to be. If teachers shouldn't touch the children, let the kids punish themselves: Timmy, you didn't do your homework, self-flagellate for ten minutes. It's perfect!"

[DESCRIPTION] Now it is the week of Holy Yellow and the spiritual highlight is the last day when young men and boys self-flagellate in the streets in order to prove devotion to their god. This performance is always a bloody spectacle and sometimes participants end up in hospital.

[VALIDITY] religion not banned

[OPTION] "This is a horrid display," declares @@RANDOMNAME(FEMALE)@@, a young mother who had to dodge the self-flagellaters as she brought her kids home from school. "How can this primitive horror show be permitted in our civilized society? At the end of the day, there's so much blood in the street that it looks like a battlefield. Ban this frightful demonstration and force those Yellowite weirdos to pray nicely!"

[EFFECT] devotion to God is only skin-deep

[OPTION] "Yes, blood in the street never looks good," concurs @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Chief of Police. "Foreign news agencies that aren't friendly towards us always claim that the blood comes from @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ police brutality – be that as it may – we can't give them fuel to add to their fire. Tell these Yellowites that if they must self-flagellate, then do it inside their own homes: not on the streets!"

[OPTION] "If eternal damnation is what you seek @@LEADER@@, then go ahead and ban it," informs Sebastian Siena, a Yellowite priest, as his nurse tends to his many wounds. "Holy Yellow has been observed for a thousand years and the act of self-flagellation is the pinnacle of the week. We must be allowed to follow our religious ideals without hindrance. In fact, it wouldn't hurt if the government could be more supportive of us: start portraying Holy Yellow in a more positive way and let's see some advertisements about the benefits of self-flagellation – OOUCH!" he screams as his nurse tends to a particularly deep wound.

[VALIDITY] has not banned corporal punishment
[OPTION] "That's not a bad idea," muses @@RANDOMNAME@@, the principal of your niece's school, who came to your office to discuss the best way to discipline your wayward niece. "Everyone's going on these days about how corporal punishment on kids should be banned – which, quite frankly, would make my job harder and not as much fun as it used to be! In order to maintain corporal punishment in schools, then we should make a law that forces kids to punish themselves: Timmy, you didn't do your homework – self-flagellate for ten minutes. It's perfect!"

[VALIDITY] corporal punishment is banned
[OPTION] "That's not a bad idea," muses @@RANDOMNAME@@, the principal of your niece's school, who came to your office to discuss the best way to discipline your wayward niece. "Ever since corporal punishment was banned, the kids have been getting out of control. If teachers aren't allowed to physically caution the children any more, then we should make a law that forces kids to punish themselves: Timmy, you didn't do your homework – self-flagellate for ten minutes. It's perfect!"

Last edited by Baggieland on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:43 pm

That's a bit out-there, but it's not bad.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:59 pm

Can the name of the third option's speaker reference Saint Sebastian, that Christian martyr who has been depicted in art as a masochist who is aroused by his own blood flowing out of him?
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:37 am

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:Can the name of the third option's speaker reference Saint Sebastian, that Christian martyr who has been depicted in art as a masochist who is aroused by his own blood flowing out of him?

That's a good idea.

A lot of the Christian saints seemed really into a lot of pain. Saint Catherine of Siena would also whip herself three times daily and one saint -- I forget which -- carved Jesus' name into her own breast. Another hardly slept and punished herself if men noticed her. Basically, a lot of Saints would be sent to a safe place for treatment today.

I don't find it out there at all.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:10 am

Adding a validity of violetism not banned is probably needed too, as well as not having a mandatory non-Violetism state religion.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:50 am

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:Can the name of the third option's speaker reference Saint Sebastian, that Christian martyr who has been depicted in art as a masochist who is aroused by his own blood flowing out of him?

The Free Joy State wrote:A lot of the Christian saints seemed really into a lot of pain. Saint Catherine of Siena would also whip herself three times daily and one saint -- I forget which -- carved Jesus' name into her own breast. Another hardly slept and punished herself if men noticed her. Basically, a lot of Saints would be sent to a safe place for treatment today.

Never heard of any of them! So, I combined the two names you gave me.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Adding a validity of violetism not banned is probably needed too, as well as not having a mandatory non-Violetism state religion.

Added the validities.

2nd draft is up.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:31 am

I wonder how option 4 works. I mean, what if kids don't self-flagellate like you tell them to? How do you punish them for their lack of cooperation? Asking them to self-flagellate even more?

Also, some nations do allow corporate punishment for kids, where this option would look out-of-place.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:17 pm

Trotterdam wrote:I wonder how option 4 works. I mean, what if kids don't self-flagellate like you tell them to? How do you punish them for their lack of cooperation? Asking them to self-flagellate even more?

Also, some nations do allow corporate punishment for kids, where this option would look out-of-place.

Fair enough points.

Draft 3 is up. Also changed 'Violet' to 'Yellow' because of the validity issues that Candle pointed out earlier and also did a couple of bits of tidying up.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:22 pm

Options 5/6- what about the kids who refuse to?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:29 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Options 5/6- what about the kids who refuse to?
Australian rePublic wrote:Options 5/6- what about the kids who refuse to?

That's why I put the standard phrase 'make it a law', so it infers serious consequences if one does not self-flagellate. Of course, in real life this would be an extremely difficult law to carry out and enforce. But in RL no one would chose that option. It is the essential 'NS crazy last option'!
Last edited by Baggieland on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:41 pm

Submitted. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:21 pm

Good Luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?