NATION

PASSWORD

[Accepted - 1141] The Trolley Problem

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:15 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96WX35MMg8g

Make it happen.

I'm going to also second Candlewhisper regarding the "X-y McX-face" naming meme having run its course. I say tinker a bit to rework the issue regarding how no one takes naming things seriously anymore, maybe frame it as a civic failing or a youth rebelliousness problem.
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:08 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I disagree. I think that it's so referenced that it deserves ro be its own issue. Besides, "should noun be called nouny mcnounface" still happens, no matter how often it's suggested

Hell, we had this debate atleast as recently as January
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-01- ... fmredir=sm

No, that's what I mean. The satirical observation to make at this time isn't to say "hey, wouldn't it be funny if someone suggested the name Boaty McBoatface for a naming competition", it's to say "will people ever stop suggesting Boaty McBoatface, it was funny the first time, but now it's wearing thin."

There's an important distinction there, and I think the latter is sharper satire and better comedy.

Oh. I see. Fair enough
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:53 pm

I'm not sure about the Boaty argument here. On the one hand, it is the joke that has in a way run its course, but on the other hand it is precisely that which makes it, in a way, a more believable name that the populace might vote for. Besides, Boaty has been by far the most high profile occurrence of this phenomenon, and as such is likely to be something referenced and talked about for a while to come, even long after the joke has thoroughly passed into the annals of ancient history. And will keep reappearing every time somebody suggests X-y Mc-X-face as a name in these votes. Would depend on how it is written though.

Palos Heights wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96WX35MMg8g

Make it happen.

I'm going to also second Candlewhisper regarding the "X-y McX-face" naming meme having run its course. I say tinker a bit to rework the issue regarding how no one takes naming things seriously anymore, maybe frame it as a civic failing or a youth rebelliousness problem.

What an incredibly specific video.

Robosia wrote:Streety McStreetcarface.

Get out.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:15 pm

Alright - another version is up!

3rd draft changelog:

- Rewrote description to suggest the repetitious and unoriginal nature of meme-name votes
- Rewrote Choice 1 for the same purpose, and to change the speaker
- Slight tweaks to the text of Choice 2 and Choice 3, to fit with the above alterations.
- Removed Validity suggestion about cars, as Public Transit is apparently not concern for most car bans.
- Incorporated feedback on pitching the issue as one of civic virtue
- I tried to keep it still clearly about Boaty McBoatface, without making that the only joke

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:Trolley McTrolleyface?
With a name like that, I'd expect some joke about how the voters are trolling the government.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:38 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Verdant Haven wrote:Trolley McTrolleyface?
With a name like that, I'd expect some joke about how the voters are trolling the government.

The similarity between "Trolley" and "Trolly" did cross my mind, but I didn't want to get too over-the-top with meme attempts.

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:51 pm

I like this new version much better. Keep up the good work

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:25 pm

Thanks very much!

Any additional feedback from folks about the present version?

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:17 pm

Alright - I've put this on Last Call. Barring any major overhauls or stop warnings, I'll submit this in a couple days.

Last call for feedback! Thank you to all for the contributions so far.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:44 pm

FYI, we editors always take the English that is native to the author. So if a Brit calls it a tram, then a tram it is. If a Yank calls it a streetcar, then a streetcar it is. Strewth, we even allow Australian English! :)

Like the issue, it reminds me of when NZ had a flag change competition and they got a kiwi with laser eyes!

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:05 pm

Submitted! Thank you all for the constructive feedback.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:32 am

Good Luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?