NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] March of @@NAME@@

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[DISCARDED] March of @@NAME@@

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:29 am

So, I realized late December that Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday was coming up fairly soon,
and I also realized that powerful public speakers promoting reform could be an interesting topic to cover.
As such, I made a draft about that in that spirit. I did, however, try to keep it vague so all nations could get this. :P

(Also, in the event that it's accepted, I'm completely fine with it not existing for another year or being published on a similar kind of day. :P)

Title: March of @@CAPITAL@@
The Issue: A now famous figure, Martinez Lethinson the Third, has made great and powerful speeches that have been broadcasted all across @@NAME@@, protesting some of the government's policies. Millions are applauding this man's actions, while others are remaining skeptical, worrying that this may instead hurt and divide the nation.
Validity: Public protest is legal

Option 1: "This man should be praised for his bravery to stand up and challenge the government," gleams @@RANDOMNAME@@, who's been to almost all of his speeches. "If a person's voice can be heard and honored across the whole nation, then it's probably time for the government to step in and listen to them. Let this be a lesson to you, and let us usher in an era where you, the government, will listen to the voices that are most powerful - that of your citizens!"
[effect]powerful revolutionaries can repeatedly persuade the government to hurt society

Option 2: "What! Are you crazy?" gasps @@RANDOMNAME@@, much to the displeasure of the previous speaker. "This is just mob mentality blown way out of proportion! We can not allow any one person from outside the government to have this much control over society. Before you know it, it'll be secession, then anarchy! We need to shut this man down, and everyone who follows his footsteps, before this goes any farther, and arrest them all!"
[effect]powerful revolutionaries trying to help society are immediately punished to the fullest extent

Option 3: "You know, I think I know a way to make everyone happy," schemes your Minister of Propaganda, writing what appears to be a speech. "We should hire people to pretend to speak against the government, when they'll actually champion positions in our favor. Of course, the common public wouldn't know that they'd be working for us. That way, we can push agendas with public consent. It's win-win! Oh, except for Mr. Lethinson. We'll just assassinate him and say he died from natural causes."
[effect]citizens are bewildered by the government protesters working for the government
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:54 am, edited 7 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:40 am

Hi Jutsa, a couple of things immediately jumped out as I read it.

First, in the description, you said Martinez was championing government policies, however, in option 1 you said he was challenging the government.

Secondly, what policies are we talking about here?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:14 am

1) I mean, if he's challenging government policies, then he's probably challenging the government too, though I can try to change that if you'd prefer. :P

2) It's deliberately ambiguous so anyone can get this issue.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:17 am

I agree with Baggie on “championing”

The end of option 1, with an apostrophe, exclamation point, end quotation mark, is kinda ugly, so you should move it around
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 am

Huh... I thought I changed that to challenging. :P

Changed to protesting - don't wanna use "challenge" twice like that.

I don't know what to do about that '!" combination. I personally find it kind-of interesting, and I like the way it's set up now. :blush:

Maybe I should change it to just ours!"?

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:51 pm

Jutsa wrote:Huh... I thought I changed that to challenging. :P

Changed to protesting - don't wanna use "challenge" twice like that.

I don't know what to do about that '!" combination. I personally find it kind-of interesting, and I like the way it's set up now. :blush:

Maybe I should change it to just ours!"?
Or change it to “that of your citizens!”
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Ah yep that works, updated. :)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:09 am

The Issue: A now famous figure, Martinez Lethinson the Third, has made great and powerful speeches that have been broadcasted all across @@NAME@@, protesting some of the government's policies. Millions are applauding this man's actions, while others are remaining skeptical, worrying that this may instead hurt and divide the nation.

While I like the Martin Luther King referencing, this description seems very bland. Basically its saying that someone is making anti-government speeches. That's a topic we've covered a hell of a lot of times before.

Get the racial tensions up front and centre, and make it more distinct.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:49 am

I guess I can try to work with that, although there are also lots of issues involving racial tensions, and I'm not sure, but I imagine there's an issue reversal to segregation already?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:07 am

Yes, its a tricky niche to find. Can't really help you too much though without coming up with the whole issue. Maybe do some research on MLK, and see if there were any events in his life that would make great issues. Maybe one of his specific acts of civil disobedience, like the Birmingham campaign, or the Montgomery bus boycott.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:53 am

Alrighty, I'll take a look at that. Hopefully I'll get it ready before next MLKJ day. :P

Closed for now.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?