NATION

PASSWORD

NS stats with Catsfern 2 electric boogaloo

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Catsfern
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 09, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

NS stats with Catsfern 2 electric boogaloo

Postby Catsfern » Fri May 24, 2019 10:46 am

So the old discussion was locked due to “insufficient op” fair enough, allow me to rephrase. I have been active on the F7 part of the forum for a couple weeks now and have noticed that a good number of nations get angry at me when I use their ns stats to make assessments of their nations. This thread just exists to discuss the merit of doing so and the merit of ns stats in general.
Is that sufficient?

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 11:01 am

General rule of thumb is to ask if people use FB or NS stats if they dont already state which one they use. If they have a preference and if they let that be known and you dint listen they're bound to get a little annoyed, yeah.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Catsfern
Diplomat

Postby Catsfern » Fri May 24, 2019 11:15 am

And I get annoyed when a nation thinks it’s a hot shot because it wrote a cool factbook but doesn’t have the stats to back it up there are some genuinely really good factbooks out there and a lot of nations with the stats to match but there are also a good fee that don’t.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri May 24, 2019 11:17 am

Move the thread to gameplay forum. That be the approperiate subcategory.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri May 24, 2019 11:18 am

Don’t make too much out of it. F7 is for games. If these nations get too worked up, just jump to the next. Don’t take it too seriously, even if some do. It’s a game after all.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 11:20 am

Catsfern wrote:And I get annoyed when a nation thinks it’s a hot shot because it wrote a cool factbook but doesn’t have the stats to back it up there are some genuinely really good factbooks out there and a lot of nations with the stats to match but there are also a good fee that don’t.

I mean....yeah, if someone put alot of work in building their nation and writing fact books for it and you continually refuse to acknowledge them they're probably going to get fed up after awhile. If a person uses NS stats, great. If a person uses facebooks, great. Depends on the person.

NS stats dont have to match fsctbooks thats.....kind of the whole point of them.
Last edited by Highever on Fri May 24, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Catsfern
Diplomat

Postby Catsfern » Fri May 24, 2019 11:21 am

Thank you

Catsfern
Diplomat

Postby Catsfern » Fri May 24, 2019 11:26 am

Highever wrote:
Catsfern wrote:And I get annoyed when a nation thinks it’s a hot shot because it wrote a cool factbook but doesn’t have the stats to back it up there are some genuinely really good factbooks out there and a lot of nations with the stats to match but there are also a good fee that don’t.

I mean....yeah, if someone put alot of work in building their nation and writing fact books for it and you continually refuse to acknowledge them they're probably going to get fed up after awhile. If a person uses NS stats, great. If a person uses facebooks, great. Depends on the person.

NS stats dont have to match fsctbooks thats.....kind of the whole point of them.

I don’t always expect an exact match but a dictatorship claiming to be a democracy in its factbook isn’t gonna fly with me

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 11:33 am

Catsfern wrote:
Highever wrote:I mean....yeah, if someone put alot of work in building their nation and writing fact books for it and you continually refuse to acknowledge them they're probably going to get fed up after awhile. If a person uses NS stats, great. If a person uses facebooks, great. Depends on the person.

I don’t always expect an exact match but a dictatorship claiming to be a democracy in its factbook isn’t gonna fly with me

Alot of people separate gameplay and RP. Issues are game play, fact books are RP. Hell half the time they just stop addressing issues all together at some point and focus onfact books, so of course they won't match up. And they dont have to, they have no relation to one another.

You're free to do what you want but dont act surprised that people are getting mad that you're choosing to ignore their wishes altogether.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Kragholm Free States
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 19, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kragholm Free States » Fri May 24, 2019 11:40 am

See, that only really works if every nation is entirely human, roughly modern both technologically and culturally, and exists on a single earth-like planet with a fairly narrow and recognisable range of political ideologies and systems and a plethora of groups and organisations that directly parallel real-world entities. Really, I'd say a minority of nations tick every single one of those boxes. That's just the limitations of issues - they're constructed around a reasonable average, but they can't detect and account for abstract variance in nations, and consequently a lot of them will be wholly inapplicable to a lot of nations. To then insist on using the results of those inapplicable issues despite being explicitly asked by the nations in question to instead use the factbooks that they have actually put a lot of effort into is frankly disrespectful.
Last edited by Kragholm Free States on Fri May 24, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly New Aerios, Est. 2012.
I don't use NS stats, here's my perpetually WIP factbooks.
Obligatory Political Compass:
Econ: 3.88 (R), Soc: -4.97 (L)
Civil Libertarian, Monarchist, Decentralist, Economic Localist, Englishman.
Old posts not necessarily representative of current views.

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 11:46 am

Kragholm Free States wrote:

See, that only really works if every nation is entirely human, roughly modern both technologically and culturally, and exists on a single earth-like planet with a fairly narrow and recognisable range of political ideologies and systems and a plethora of groups and organisations that directly parallel real-world entities. Really, I'd say a minority of nations tick every single one of those boxes. That's just the limitations of issues - they're constructed around a reasonable average, but they can't detect and account for abstract variance in nations, and consequently a lot of them will be wholly inapplicable to a lot of nations. To then insist on using the results of those inapplicable issues despite being explicitly asked by the nations in question to instead use the factbooks that they have actually put a lot of effort into is frankly disrespectful.

That's a big one too. Not to mention that even if a nation is relatively realistic and take place in a modern earth type setting, issues usually are exaggerated and lean towards satire rather than realism or seriousness.
Last edited by Highever on Fri May 24, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Catsfern
Diplomat

Postby Catsfern » Fri May 24, 2019 11:47 am

I’ve seen a lot of extra species nations that have matching stats what most of them do is in a factbook just specify what portion of their population stat is that additional species.

Also a lot of futuristic nations exist along with past alternative history nations all with well matching stats
Last edited by Catsfern on Fri May 24, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 11:48 am

Catsfern wrote:

I’ve seen a lot of extra species nations that have matching stats what most of them do is in a factbook just specify what portion of their population stat is that additional species.

I dont know why you think that the results of issues need to match fsctbooks. Its pretty much impossible to tailor your nation how you want it to be through random issues. I would dare say it's just about impossible.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Catsfern
Diplomat

Postby Catsfern » Fri May 24, 2019 12:07 pm

If you read what I said above then you know that I don’t always expect an exact match but if it’s at least close that’s what I expect; I only refuse factbook information if there’s a glaring discrepancy between stats and factbook

Kragholm Free States
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 19, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kragholm Free States » Fri May 24, 2019 12:09 pm

Catsfern wrote:If you read what I said above then you know that I don’t always expect an exact match but if it’s at least close that’s what I expect; I only refuse factbook information if there’s a glaring discrepancy between stats and factbook

There's a glaring discrepancy between my factbook population of 56.4 million and my stat population of 4.573 billion. I wonder, how would you go about cramming 4.573 billion people onto Svalbard? Or would you suggest I just make my nation cover half the planet to make my population fit?
Last edited by Kragholm Free States on Fri May 24, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly New Aerios, Est. 2012.
I don't use NS stats, here's my perpetually WIP factbooks.
Obligatory Political Compass:
Econ: 3.88 (R), Soc: -4.97 (L)
Civil Libertarian, Monarchist, Decentralist, Economic Localist, Englishman.
Old posts not necessarily representative of current views.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Don’t make too much out of it. F7 is for games. If these nations get too worked up, just jump to the next. Don’t take it too seriously, even if some do. It’s a game after all.

I will admit that sometimes, I do take it a little too seriously on very rare occasions. When that happens, I will just take a breather and move on to the next thread.

Problem begins when you are ignoring the nation's wishes and hamming the NS Stats on people that don't want them.

It's a F7 game, sure, and you can move on if you are not satisfied. With that said, it is not simply because of the fact that you ignored the factbooks, or did something that might sound trivial to an outsider. The thing is, there are factbooks and world development that has been done quite impressively well, and they have taken the time to write it down during their free time, after all.

You have to realise that people don't act and think the way you do, and they are not inherently wrong for that. Some nations (like me) uses NS Stats religiously and I love my Top 1% badges, but when I look at other nations, unless stated otherwise, I will always look at their factbooks and compliment on how well and how far they have written. It's basic self-respect, and there is no wrong or right way to play the game.

It's not wrong to use NS Stats all the time. It's not wrong to use factbooks all the time. It's only right that you respect each player and fulfill their wishes if they don't use the stats, or otherwise.

In short, some nations use NS Stats, some don't. It's on you to respect them, not for you to force it on them the way you want it to.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Fri May 24, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 12:18 pm

Catsfern wrote:If you read what I said above then you know that I don’t always expect an exact match but if it’s at least close that’s what I expect; I only refuse factbook information if there’s a glaring discrepancy between stats and factbook

But the fact you expect them to match at all in some capacity you're going to find is not a common sentiment. RP only works when the players respect one anothers ideas, and if you're not going to do that and try and force people to follow your personal standards or otherwise ignore and disrespect them then I'm sorry to say you're going to find that yeah, a good amount of people are going to be less than happy or eager to engage with you. Not everyone has your strict standards of melding gameplay and RP. In fact....I would say very few do.

You're free to do as you wish once again, but if you want people to stop being a tad upset at you, you may want to ease back on the forcing them to adhere to your personal idea of FB vs NS stats thing.
Last edited by Highever on Fri May 24, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri May 24, 2019 12:21 pm

1. Wrong forum
2. You're basically shocked that you are using stats that people do not use for the sake of RP. This is like complaining that people use foam spears instead of foam swords. Like, what if their nation is some sort of futuristic space empire with a different species? Or what if they take place in 4000 BCE? Or what if they are some sort of tiny city-state with only 2.2 Million people instead of the 5.5 billion people NS has given them? You sound kinda silly right now.
All shall tremble before me

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri May 24, 2019 12:23 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Don’t make too much out of it. F7 is for games. If these nations get too worked up, just jump to the next. Don’t take it too seriously, even if some do. It’s a game after all.

I will admit that sometimes, I do take it a little too seriously on very rare occasions. When that happens, I will just take a breather and move on to the next thread.

Problem begins when you are ignoring the nation's wishes and hamming the NS Stats on people that don't want them.

It's a F7 game, sure, and you can move on if you are not satisfied. With that said, it is not simply because of the fact that you ignored the factbooks, or did something that might sound trivial to an outsider. The thing is, there are factbooks and world development that has been done quite impressively well, and they have taken the time to write it down during their free time, after all.

You have to realise that people don't act and think the way you do, and they are not inherently wrong for that. Some nations (like me) uses NS Stats religiously and I love my Top 1% badges, but when I look at other nations, unless stated otherwise, I will always look at their factbooks and compliment on how well and how far they have written. It's basic self-respect, and there is no wrong or right way to play the game.

It's not wrong to use NS Stats all the time. It's not wrong to use factbooks all the time. It's only right that you respect each player and fulfill their wishes if they don't use the stats, or otherwise.

In short, some nations use NS Stats, some don't. It's on you to respect them, not for you to force it on them the way you want it to.

It’s not that I don’t understand your take. It’s just that this, with development and all, is, in the end, a game. Getting too worked up about it is, in the end, too much expenditure of energy. Some players will consider your effort, some won’t. Some will demand X, others Y. Exhibit A) look at the OP of this thread and his stance.

Don’t forget you’re dealing with a game in F7. Because that’s what F7 is for. Games and banter. Getting all worked up there is really non-sensical.

If you were talking about the RP aspects of NS, however, I can’t comment.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Fri May 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It’s not that I don’t understand your take. It’s just that this, with development and all, is, in the end, a game. Getting too worked up about it is, in the end, too much expenditure of energy. Some players will consider your effort, some won’t. Some will demand X, others Y. Exhibit A) look at the OP of this thread and his stance.

Don’t forget you’re dealing with a game in F7. Because that’s what F7 is for. Games and banter. Getting all worked up there is really non-sensical.

I understand where you are coming from. At the end of the day, it's just RP, so... I guess stick with people that appreciate your efforts? :P

Anyway, hope you have a great day ahead, and thanks for chiming in! ^^

Yeah, I am trying to chill out more. Not that I go ballistics with every bad post, but you know, some days are worse than other.

@Hammer: You know that's not true. Not a good comparison with crack. If anything, catnip would make more sense. :lol:
Last edited by Valentine Z on Fri May 24, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri May 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:

It’s not that I don’t understand your take. It’s just that this, with development and all, is, in the end, a game. Getting too worked up about it is, in the end, too much expenditure of energy. Some players will consider your effort, some won’t. Some will demand X, others Y. Exhibit A) look at the OP of this thread and his stance.

You don't understand, Val is literally a crack addict for Forum 7 RPs.

This is like watering down crack for him.
All shall tremble before me

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri May 24, 2019 12:31 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

You don't understand, Val is literally a crack addict for Forum 7 RPs.

This is like watering down crack for him.

Poor Val. Will wilt! :p
Slava Ukraini

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 12:33 pm

The main problem is that nations vary so massively and oftentimes do not fit within the confines addressed by issues. For example, if I decided to make this an RP nation, how would that work? It is a relatively small fiefdom that takes place in a high medeival fantasy setting. How would that work with NS Stats?
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri May 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Highever wrote:The main problem is that nations vary so massively and oftentimes do not fit within the confines addressed by issues. For example, if I decided to make this an RP nation, how would that work? It is a relatively small fiefdom that takes place in a high medeival fantasy setting. How would that work with NS Stats?

Imagine mine. A nation of cats.

There’s a reason why I haven’t RPed in over a decade. :lol2:
Slava Ukraini

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Fri May 24, 2019 12:42 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Highever wrote:The main problem is that nations vary so massively and oftentimes do not fit within the confines addressed by issues. For example, if I decided to make this an RP nation, how would that work? It is a relatively small fiefdom that takes place in a high medeival fantasy setting. How would that work with NS Stats?

Imagine mine. A nation of cats.

There’s a reason why I haven’t RPed in over a decade. :lol2:

You need to make a comeback as a nation of cats. :p

Also nice avatar. Reminds me of that animated episode where Mr. Bean puts a cat on his head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJYOLm7diGU
Last edited by Valentine Z on Fri May 24, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General