NATION

PASSWORD

Just got invaded by DEN

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:46 am

Sedgistan wrote:So no-one is using Halcones'/Frak's scripts any more, or communicating with either of them?

Hah, that's funny. Half of this side of gameplay never stopped using Predator or giving Halc direct feedback on upkeep for it.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:10 am

In that case:

1. I hope those using Predator are wholly confident that it does not violate the Script Rules. It is the responsibility of the player using a tool to verify that it fits within the rules. Assuming that it is legal because it has been used for a while is no assurance that it actually is. If you use an illegal script, you will be punished for it.

2. Those facilitating a DOS player's access to and influence over the site by working with Halcones to develop his tools are acting in contravention of the rules. This is their opportunity to come clean about it, and cease working with him: GHR us. Failure to do so runs the risk that you yourself are DOSed. Previous players who have come clean about working with DOS players are still using the site (Nephmir, Scientiam); those that haven't have been DOSed themselves (Halcones, Bob Moran).

I hope that is sufficiently clear.

McMannia Squared
Secretary

Founded: Feb 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby McMannia Squared » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:27 am

Hence why I personally avoid these sort of things entirely. I don't like getting involved in grey area's.

Pierconium
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:56 am

Sedgistan wrote:In that case:

1. I hope those using Predator are wholly confident that it does not violate the Script Rules. It is the responsibility of the player using a tool to verify that it fits within the rules. Assuming that it is legal because it has been used for a while is no assurance that it actually is. If you use an illegal script, you will be punished for it.

2. Those facilitating a DOS player's access to and influence over the site by working with Halcones to develop his tools are acting in contravention of the rules. This is their opportunity to come clean about it, and cease working with him: GHR us. Failure to do so runs the risk that you yourself are DOSed. Previous players who have come clean about working with DOS players are still using the site (Nephmir, Scientiam); those that haven't have been DOSed themselves (Halcones, Bob Moran).

Hi Sedge,

I have a quick question, and apologies for the thread jack, but I'm just going off your comment here. Just so I am clear, because it has come up in the past, can you define 'working' with a DOS player? I know several regions allow DOS players to maintain accounts and activity on their offsites for RP purposes, etc. Is this inclusive of that or only in regards to script usage?

Thanks,
me
Last edited by Pierconium on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrant (Ret.)

Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…

NPO - EMPIRE - TRIUMVIRATE - NPD

ADST World
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby ADST World » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:16 am

Siberian Districts wrote:
ADST World wrote:
You do realize that these actions are similar to those of an internet troll, and that beyond that, it is disrespectful, and sometimes just downright cruel, to afflict others with minor troubles, just because it's funny, right?

Trolling is against the rules. Raiding isn't. I think that's difference enough. Any argument on this probably shouldn't be on this thread

My point is, a actualized war system with opt in allows for fewer raiders, and I feel as though those raiders get their laughs by raiding us day in and day out.

If a system isn't implemented, any faith I had in this community will crumble, I will leave, and possibly start a website with a similar idea, but a actualized war system. Because honestly, this system, with the arguments, the raids, and the chaos of it all, is just starting to feel like Max Barry enjoys watching us be crushed by raiders.

In other words:
I AM FED UP WITH RAIDERS MAKE A WAR SYSTEM MAX BARRY!
"War is but the illusion of honour and glory, above the reality of violent carnage"

The Silver Sentinel
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Sentinel » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:27 am

Pierconium wrote:

Hi Sedge,

I have a quick question, and apologies for the thread jack, but I'm just going off your comment here. Just so I am clear, because it has come up in the past, can you define 'working' with a DOS player? I know several regions allow DOS players to maintain accounts and activity on their offsites for RP purposes, etc. Is this inclusive of that or only in regards to script usage?

Thanks,
me

It has been stated many times that the mods do not police offsite activities.

Pierconium
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:38 am

The Silver Sentinel wrote:
Pierconium wrote:Hi Sedge,

Thanks,
me

It has been stated many times that the mods do not police offsite activities.

Yes, I know.

However, in the comment that I quoted and directed to the moderator offsite activities are discussed and warned against, ergo...

Working with a DOS player can mean any number of things. Yes, Sedge mentions facilitating access but that isn't the only aspect he mentions. Especially in conjunction with 'influence over the site'. What does that mean? Access to in regards to scripts, etc. does seem fairly clear but a DOS player could wield influence in any number of ways by 'working with' players that are still active in the game.
Last edited by Pierconium on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tyrant (Ret.)

Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:47 am

Pierconium wrote:Yes, I know.

However, in the comment that I quoted and directed to the moderator offsite activities are discussed and warned against, ergo...

Working with a DOS player can mean any number of things. Yes, Sedge mentions facilitating access but that isn't the only aspect he mentions.

I was assured that so long as St George remained on our offsite and was not asking people to do things on nationstates.net for him, etc, we were fine.

I'm under the impression that the conduct moderation prohibits is conduct that involves a DoS player continuing to interact with the site itself, rather than communities associated with it. For example, helping a DoS player develop code that interfaces with NS by running it for them would not be permissible. Nor would posting telegrams or on regional message boards or the onsite forums for such a player be allowed.

Pierconium
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:52 am

Zemnaya Svoboda wrote:
Pierconium wrote:Yes, I know.

Working with a DOS player can mean any number of things. Yes, Sedge mentions facilitating access but that isn't the only aspect he mentions.

I was assured that so long as St George remained on our offsite and was not asking people to do things on nationstates.net for him, etc, we were fine.

I'm under the impression that the conduct moderation prohibits is conduct that involves a DoS player continuing to interact with the site itself, rather than communities associated with it. For example, helping a DoS player develop code that interfaces with NS by running it for them would not be permissible. Nor would posting telegrams or on regional message boards or the onsite forums for such a player be allowed.

Right, which is a reasonable assumption to make and one that I am happy to make myself. However, I asked that a moderator clarify it for me since he specifically mentioned it. If Eluvatar has the authority to clarify in that fashion, great, then have it do so.

Otherwise, we are all just assuming. If a DOS player was the primary 'commander' or what have you of a raider group and was directing which regions would be invaded at specific updates would that level of onsite influence be considered above the threshold? Just curious. Would the players that took part in those raids be subject to disciplinary action even if they are unaware of a scripts usage?

I would just like a clear definition from the moderation team of what 'working with' a DOS player means in regards to 'influence over the site'. I can assume what it means but just like the message I quoted states, if you just assume something because that is the way it has been for a while, you may still be incorrect.
Last edited by Pierconium on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrant (Ret.)

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:54 am

Zemnaya Svoboda wrote:I was assured that so long as St George remained on our offsite and was not asking people to do things on nationstates.net for him, etc, we were fine.

That's correct.

Pierconium
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:55 am

Sedgistan wrote:
Zemnaya Svoboda wrote:I was assured that so long as St George remained on our offsite and was not asking people to do things on nationstates.net for him, etc, we were fine.

That's correct.

Thanks.
Tyrant (Ret.)

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:22 pm

Pierconium wrote:Otherwise, we are all just assuming. If a DOS player was the primary 'commander' or what have you of a raider group and was directing which regions would be invaded at specific updates would that level of onsite influence be considered above the threshold? Just curious. Would the players that took part in those raids be subject to disciplinary action even if they are unaware of a scripts usage?

A good summary would be that if you're doing something on nationstates.net at the behest of a DOS player, you are subject to moderator action.

New Los Angelos
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Los Angelos » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:34 pm

ADST World wrote:
Siberian Districts wrote:
Trolling is against the rules. Raiding isn't. I think that's difference enough. Any argument on this probably shouldn't be on this thread

My point is, a actualized war system with opt in allows for fewer raiders, and I feel as though those raiders get their laughs by raiding us day in and day out.

If a system isn't implemented, any faith I had in this community will crumble, I will leave, and possibly start a website with a similar idea, but a actualized war system. Because honestly, this system, with the arguments, the raids, and the chaos of it all, is just starting to feel like Max Barry enjoys watching us be crushed by raiders.

In other words:
I AM FED UP WITH RAIDERS MAKE A WAR SYSTEM MAX BARRY!

Personally, I would then suggest Cybernations. Also, Barry said no to war mechanics a while ago.

King Nephmir II
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby King Nephmir II » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:35 pm

Can we just get a "just got invaded" megathread already and be done with it?

YoriZ
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby YoriZ » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:27 pm

This really get more and more interesting.

Discussion evolving from 'we raiders definitely play by the rules' over 'are you sure raiders are playing by the rules ' to 'we do really know whether raiders are playing by the rules'.

Just the fact that there are complex scripts enabling raiders to attack regions, that a couple of these scripts are illegal and that some raiders are breaking rules I having contacts with dos players that make them still influence ns, makes me conclude something is very wrong about raiding.
Ⓐrtists, not Ⓐrmies! >>>>>>> Join Anarchy

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Some raiders are breaking the rules, therefore something is wrong about raiding?

That could be applied to anything. Example: "Some anarchists break the law, therefore something is wrong with anarchy."
It's a flawed argument.

And honestly, it's unnecessary to try molding a discussion around your disapproval of raiding. All it does is dilute the discussion at hand.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Raionitu
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Raionitu » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:16 pm

I am honestly confused by this.
I am clear that working with a DOS to develop these is punishable, but am not clear if the simple action of using Predator is.
If I was to use Predator, without working with a DOS player or giving them feedback or input, would I be punished, yes or no?
Koth wrote:you guys are cool, like lately ive been watching the overal state of the raider world and been like,"ew", but you guys are very not ew
Reppy wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum.
Aguaria Major wrote:The Black Hawks is essentially a regional equivalent of Heath Ledger's Joker: they just want to watch the world burn
Frisbeeteria wrote:Please stop.Please.
Souls wrote:Hi, I'm Souls. Have you embraced our lord and savior , Piling yet?
Souls wrote:Note to self: Watch out for Rai in my bedroom
Altinsane wrote:Me, about every suspiciously helpful newb I meet: "It's probably Rai."
Lord Dominator wrote:Koth is a drunken alternate personality of yours

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:22 pm

For the record, TBH has officially distributed an order demanding that any troops who were using Predator in their raiding activity cease and desist doing so immediately, with a recommendation they take the advice in Sedge's post - better GHR than sorry.

- Maj. Ever-Wandering Souls, Field Marshal, The Black Hawks
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:14 pm

Raionitu wrote:If I was to use Predator, without working with a DOS player or giving them feedback or input, would I be punished, yes or no?

From my experience with Predator before Halcones was DOS'd, you have to be authorized by a Halcones-written Python script before you can use Predator, and Predator also uses a Python script to give feedback on how it was used directly back to Halcones. Both of these features used your PC's "MAC Address".

I don't know if these features were removed in subsequent versions, but if they weren't, that's problematic.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Reploid Productions
Director of Moderation

Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:35 pm

I'm just going to chime in a quick US$0.02 here about the DOS guys and scripts:

Is it really a good idea to trust the scripts produced and maintained by somebody who was kicked off the site for breaking the script rules (among others) in the first place? That strikes me as being about as wise as letting a known animal abuser take care of your pets, or a convicted kidnapper babysit your kids. Somebody who's DOS has nothing left to lose in regards to NS and no reason whatsoever to abide by our rules, and I've seen such instances turn all too often into those ex-users trying to dick over as many people as possible in petty revenge.
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 20 on March 23, 2023!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

The Silver Sentinel
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Sentinel » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:47 pm

Reploid Productions wrote:I'm just going to chime in a quick US$0.02 here about the DOS guys and scripts:

Is it really a good idea to trust the scripts produced and maintained by somebody who was kicked off the site for breaking the script rules (among others) in the first place? That strikes me as being about as wise as letting a known animal abuser take care of your pets, or a convicted kidnapper babysit your kids. Somebody who's DOS has nothing left to lose in regards to NS and no reason whatsoever to abide by our rules, and I've seen such instances turn all too often into those ex-users trying to dick over as many people as possible in petty revenge.

Precisely. And since Predator requires a connection to Halcs computer to work, should that not count as colluding with a DOS player?

King Nephmir II wrote:Can we just get a "just got invaded" megathread already and be done with it?

Isn't that what this is?
Last edited by The Silver Sentinel on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YoriZ
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby YoriZ » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:39 am

Ridersyl wrote:Some raiders are breaking the rules, therefore something is wrong about raiding?

That could be applied to anything. Example: "Some anarchists break the law, therefore something is wrong with anarchy."
It's a flawed argument.

And honestly, it's unnecessary to try molding a discussion around your disapproval of raiding. All it does is dilute the discussion at hand.

The discussion is about the disproval of raiding. The fact raiding requires script usage and that scripts used are controlled by dos-players only contributes to the legitimate of the claim that raiding is to be disapproved.
Ⓐrtists, not Ⓐrmies! >>>>>>> Join Anarchy

Severisen
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Severisen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:10 am

YoriZ wrote: The discussion is about the disproval of raiding. The fact raiding requires script usage and that scripts used are controlled by dos-players only contributes to the legitimate of the claim that raiding is to be disapproved.

That's a disingenuous statement if I've ever read one. Raiding does not require scripts. Not all scripts are controlled by DOS-players. The legitimacy of your claim being based, even in part, on these rather egregious statements serves only to abase raiders and raiding as a whole, which is, of course, convenient for you, but unfair to the majority of raiders. It's akin to saying that I saw RPers god-mod, so RP should be disapproved of.

The majority of us, when we learned of the illegal usage of scripts, shunned their use, and the users. I go out of my way to encourage people not to interact, with respect to the game, with these players anymore. Of course, for some of us, these people were/are our friends, and it sucks that we can't play the game together anymore--but they made their beds, and now they sleep in them. Would I cut a friend out of my life if they decided to break some rules and become DOS? No, not on a personal level. I wouldn't discuss the game with them, but one develops some lasting, and surprisingly deep friendships through this game.

Ultimately there is a gray area where Halcones' app/script/tool is concerned. It's been stated before that using a legal script that a user made while playing the game was ok, even after he/she became DOS, primarily, iirc, because the script was made by a valid site-user at the time. But here's the gray area, in my mind. It's like the Ship of Theseus. If the program was ok at some point, but since the DOS order, has had some (or even all) of its components updated by said user, is it still the initial, and legal, script? Or is it a new script, created by a DOS player, and therefore illegal and to be shunned? As others have said, it's better to play on the safe side altogether, but I think it's going to require administration to create a policy of what is, and what is not, acceptable with regards to situations like these.

(Edit for reference: viewtopic.php?p=24388011#p24388011 )
Last edited by Severisen on Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
<mcmasterdonia> Ex-TBH dudes get all the NS girls.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Sichuan Pepper wrote:Should I be worried that Mall said he wanted to invade my region?
Member of the Cult of the Overgoat.

Married to my best friends Xoriet and Astarial
Father to Ramaeus, Sylvia, Greyghost, Bachtendekuppen, Liliarchy, Jar, Cookie. (And Guy)
Former: Everything
Current: Nowhere man.
Past, Present, and Future: Nobody.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:05 am

Severisen wrote:Ultimately there is a gray area where Halcones' app/script/tool is concerned. It's been stated before that using a legal script that a user made while playing the game was ok, even after he/she became DOS, primarily, iirc, because the script was made by a valid site-user at the time. But here's the gray area, in my mind. It's like the Ship of Theseus. If the program was ok at some point, but since the DOS order, has had some (or even all) of its components updated by said user, is it still the initial, and legal, script? Or is it a new script, created by a DOS player, and therefore illegal and to be shunned? As others have said, it's better to play on the safe side altogether, but I think it's going to require administration to create a policy of what is, and what is not, acceptable with regards to situations like these.

(Edit for reference: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p24388011 )

Reploid Productions wrote:
Evil Wolf wrote:
You mean like NS+, which was made by a now DOS player? :P

No, I wouldn't think so. At the very least, it would go against what ADMIN has ruled in the past.

Pretty much. There's a big difference between stuff developed and in circulation before a DOS and stuff created afterward. Plus, there's also an enormous difference between essentially passive tools like spreadsheets and update forecasting tools and active scripts that do things in-game. The recruiting script in this case, besides being made post-DOS by a DOS user, is also entirely and blatantly in violation of the scripting rules.

Of course, from a basic cybersecurity standpoint, always be cautious about who you accept 3rd party software from. NS++ demonstrated in a relatively benign manner that exact risk over a year ago.

These modposts may be relevant to view alongside your referred to modpost:

Sedgistan wrote:

That's correct.
Sedgistan wrote:
Pierconium wrote:Otherwise, we are all just assuming. If a DOS player was the primary 'commander' or what have you of a raider group and was directing which regions would be invaded at specific updates would that level of onsite influence be considered above the threshold? Just curious. Would the players that took part in those raids be subject to disciplinary action even if they are unaware of a scripts usage?

A good summary would be that if you're doing something on nationstates.net at the behest of a DOS player, you are subject to moderator action.

I would draw one's attention to the fact that Reploid Production's post does not establish that any script written by Halcones is legal, and Sedgistan's post states that it is a script user's responsibility that any script they run be legal.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Severisen
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Severisen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:42 am

I did not intend to imply Reppy made a ruling on Halcones' script, but rather the fact that a legal script is not automatically made illegal after a DOS order is placed on is creator. NS++ is one example. I used a conditional statement there. IF it was legal before, it's not automatically illegal now by virtue of the standing of the creator.
<mcmasterdonia> Ex-TBH dudes get all the NS girls.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Sichuan Pepper wrote:Should I be worried that Mall said he wanted to invade my region?
Member of the Cult of the Overgoat.

Married to my best friends Xoriet and Astarial
Father to Ramaeus, Sylvia, Greyghost, Bachtendekuppen, Liliarchy, Jar, Cookie. (And Guy)
Former: Everything
Current: Nowhere man.
Past, Present, and Future: Nobody.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay