NATION

PASSWORD

Town prayer sessions upheld. SCOTUS 5-4

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue May 06, 2014 11:51 am

The solution is to, of course, start having Satanic prayers before town hall meetings to balance out the disgusting prayers of Christians.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Emmadog
Attaché

Founded: Oct 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Emmadog » Tue May 06, 2014 12:08 pm

The constitution does not dictate when and where we can pray. Therefore, as long as it is voluntary I think this is perfectly okay.
For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the grave, YOU will be saved!
Romans 10:9

Control your temper, for anger labels you a fool.
Ecclesiastes 7:9

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Tue May 06, 2014 12:11 pm

Emmadog wrote:The constitution does not dictate when and where we can pray. Therefore, as long as it is voluntary I think this is perfectly okay.

Someone needs to reread the constitution.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue May 06, 2014 12:12 pm

Emmadog wrote:The constitution does not dictate when and where we can pray. Therefore, as long as it is voluntary I think this is perfectly okay.

The constitution does say that the government can't endorse religion.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Azinar
Civil Servant

Founded: May 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Azinar » Tue May 06, 2014 12:21 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Hey, look at what's already happening.

Roanoke County’s Board of Supervisors may be headed toward another discussion of prayer following a U.S. Supreme Court ruling handed down Monday. The board dealt with the matter in 2012, eventually passing a nonsectarian prayer policy that Supervisor Al Bedrosian is ready to strike from the books.
“The freedom of religion doesn’t mean that every religion has to be heard,” said Bedrosian, who added that he is concerned about groups such as Wiccans and Satanists. “If we allow everything … where do you draw the line?”
The supervisor campaigned on the idea of eliminating the policy, and the ruling has breathed new life into his idea for a policy that could lead to the exclusion of non-Christian groups from the invocation.
Commenting on Monday, Bedrosian said he envisions a setup by which the supervisors would approve, individually, people from their districts to offer the opening prayer. That system would hold supervisors accountable to their districts, he added.
When asked if he would allow representatives from non-Christian faiths and non-faiths, including Jews, Muslims, atheists and others, the Hollins District supervisor said he likely would not.

Looks like the ruling has opened the door for religious discrimination, instead of defending religious freedom.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Tue May 06, 2014 12:23 pm

Mavorpen wrote:The solution is to, of course, start having Satanic prayers before town hall meetings to balance out the disgusting prayers of Christians.

I know and respect a Satanist whose prayers would be (to me) quite refreshing and welcome.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue May 06, 2014 12:51 pm

Azinar wrote:

Looks like the ruling has opened the door for religious discrimination, instead of defending religious freedom.

Who could possibly seen that coming?
Oh, That's right... The non-dissenting justices. This is exactly what they wanted.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue May 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Mavorpen wrote:The solution is to, of course, start having Satanic prayers before town hall meetings to balance out the disgusting prayers of Christians.

Hmmm How long should we hold our breath for that happening.

But you are correct. You open it to the Christians; you have to open it to all requests.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue May 06, 2014 12:59 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

Hmmm How long should we hold our breath for that happening.

But you are correct. You open it to the Christians; you have to open it to all requests.

QUIT PERSECUTING CHRISTIANS!!!! 1!!11!!
Married to Koshka

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Tue May 06, 2014 1:30 pm

I'm sure the Satanic Temple will make an effort to get something done there. They've been good for that so far.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue May 06, 2014 3:02 pm

Azinar wrote:

There are people who believe that freedom of religion only applies to Christians, so someone who lives there should sue the county as soon as they try to implement this. If the Supreme Court upholds that, we know we have something wrong in the Court.
Last edited by Geilinor on Tue May 06, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

JeebusCrust
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby JeebusCrust » Tue May 06, 2014 3:02 pm

You must've missed the part where the gov't isn't allowed to endorse religion in any way, shape, or form.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue May 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Vazdania wrote:Not at all, traditionally speaking prayer is done before or after a meeting is called to order or concluded.

Appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy.

Maybe, but it is a winning argument in the supreme court.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue May 06, 2014 5:36 pm

Brilliant Equestria wrote:
Caninope wrote:That's not really the case, especially given life terms. In fact, given the state of the Senate Judiciary, it's impossible to get a "partisan hack" on the court- judges, these days, often lack extremely controversial decisions and are often evasive in Judiciary proceedings.

That's also presuming that ideologically motivated jurists cannot be good jurists, which is definitely not the case.

They're certainly a lot better at failing to openly-state their positions after Bork, yes. They have no such restrictions once they're confirmed.

The Roberts court has decided more cases by 5-4 than any other, about 22%. That's only a point or two higher than the Rehnquist court, but they've most likely got quite a bit more time before Roberts is replaced to widen the gap. Two-thirds of those are split along purely ideological lines; Sebelius was the only exception I can think of off the top of my head. That one was likely because Roberts is smart enough to realize, as he himself said, SCOTUS is in danger of "los[ing] its credibility and legitimacy as an institution".

The composition of the court is a problem too. It's the most conservative court since the 1930's: 4 of the 5 most conservative justices in history are serving now and only 1 of the top 10 most liberal is. Of course, it could be the opposite and we'd still be having the same problem. The whole idea behind life appointments was to protect justices from being influenced by partisan politics. Now, it's just protecting them from the consequences of that.

I know I already replied to this, but why we are on the argument of a partisan court.

The Justice Department and by extension the President sided with the town conducting these prayers.
http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/05/sympo ... ore-209736

Now wouldn't a partisan court have found a reason to go against President Obama ?
Last edited by Greed and Death on Tue May 06, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue May 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Anyone may sign up and the town did have wiccan and Bah’ai religious leaders give prayers.
Barack Obama

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue May 06, 2014 6:57 pm

greed and death wrote:

Anyone may sign up and the town did have wiccan and Bah’ai religious leaders give prayers.

No shit. Which is why I said it.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue May 06, 2014 7:55 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
greed and death wrote:Anyone may sign up and the town did have wiccan and Bah’ai religious leaders give prayers.

No shit. Which is why I said it.

I have a feeling the Wiccan was trying to do the same thing you would be doing with the satanist. Annoy the Christians into changing their mind. Since most small town Xtians like the ones at issues consider wiccans=Satanist I doubt you will get anywhere.
Barack Obama

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Tue May 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Roanoke County’s Board of Supervisors may be headed toward another discussion of prayer following a U.S. Supreme Court ruling handed down Monday. The board dealt with the matter in 2012, eventually passing a nonsectarian prayer policy that Supervisor Al Bedrosian is ready to strike from the books.
“The freedom of religion doesn’t mean that every religion has to be heard,” said Bedrosian, who added that he is concerned about groups such as Wiccans and Satanists. “If we allow everything … where do you draw the line?”
The supervisor campaigned on the idea of eliminating the policy, and the ruling has breathed new life into his idea for a policy that could lead to the exclusion of non-Christian groups from the invocation.
Commenting on Monday, Bedrosian said he envisions a setup by which the supervisors would approve, individually, people from their districts to offer the opening prayer. That system would hold supervisors accountable to their districts, he added.
When asked if he would allow representatives from non-Christian faiths and non-faiths, including Jews, Muslims, atheists and others, the Hollins District supervisor said he likely would not.

If I had a dollar for every person who was surprised by this, I would be dirt-poor.
Signatures are so 2014.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue May 06, 2014 8:05 pm

SCOTUS, why do you make me hate you so?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue May 06, 2014 8:17 pm

greed and death wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No shit. Which is why I said it.

I have a feeling the Wiccan was trying to do the same thing you would be doing with the satanist. Annoy the Christians into changing their mind. Since most small town Xtians like the ones at issues consider wiccans=Satanist I doubt you will get anywhere.

You DO know what a joke is, right?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue May 06, 2014 8:36 pm

Kennedy has already been on a school prayer case and found it violates the establishment clause.
Santa Fe Independent School Dist. v. Doe, 530 U.S. 290 (2000) and Lee v. Weisman, 505 U.S. 577 (1992).

So it is unlikely school prayer will be upheld. Town of Greece very likely represents as far as prayer during officials activities goes.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Tue May 06, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barack Obama

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue May 06, 2014 9:54 pm

greed and death wrote:

Kennedy has already been on a school prayer case and found it violates the establishment clause.
Santa Fe Independent School Dist. v. Doe, 530 U.S. 290 (2000) and Lee v. Weisman, 505 U.S. 577 (1992).

So it is unlikely school prayer will be upheld. Town of Greece very likely represents as far as prayer during officials activities goes.

This has nothing to do with school prayer.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed May 07, 2014 6:07 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
greed and death wrote:

This has nothing to do with school prayer.

My bad i read supervisors as superintendent.
Barack Obama

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Wed May 07, 2014 7:34 am

Galloism wrote:SCOTUS, why do you make me hate you so?

You hate freedom of religion? Wow I can't believe in oppression.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

JeebusCrust
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby JeebusCrust » Wed May 07, 2014 7:35 am

Galloism wrote:SCOTUS, why do you make me hate you so?

They're masochists.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General