NATION

PASSWORD

Baptism of Fire 72 - Everything Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Veiled Islands
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Veiled Islands » Sun May 03, 2020 5:34 am

Veiled Islands National Football Team

Formation: 4-4-2
Style mod: -1
Starters in bold

Goalkeepers:
Sheniver Zhongmaia
Lasha Cimuineidaii
Dinshet Tasha

Defenders:
Nozaiidinshet Milzaii
Maihasha Basha
Sigoi Chunlucher
Tramlin Morhasha

Hanlang Ling
Cundin Rinshisha
Sendii Shendsha
Dinilt Veisha

Midfielders:
Chunii Ningmai
Tramfeir Etreidaii
Nozaiizal Sheisetshisha
Halashet Faincher

Hansha Haisha
Ransha Dunsingii
Tramagushet Cimuineidaii
Dinii Jinhasha

Forwards
Trato Excahaxaii
Etia Tilashandii

Berilt Suii
Ladin Ruimhasha

A Brief Introduction to the Veiled Islands

The Veiled Islands are a chain of islands so remote, isolated, and difficult to reach that they were long thought to be mythological. They are surrounded by a thick fog, and there is something about the fog-bank which causes navigational instruments to go haywire leading ships to get lost and planes to crash.

In spite of these difficulties, many people have sought out the islands because of their extraordinary natural riches. The mountains are filled with precious gems, the foothills are filled with lush tropical forests where hundreds of kinds of exotic fruits and spices grow, wild pigs frolic among the trees, the lowlands are perfect for growing rice and flax, the sea is teeming with fish and shrimp, and the shallows and tidal pools are full of clams and scallops and oysters. You can even find gold growing on trees on the upper slopes of Cimuin (Crown Island).

Many people have launched expeditions to the Veiled Islands lured by tales of fabulous wealth, but the difficulty of finding them in the fog is not the only thing that has prevented them from being colonized and plundered by the great powers of the world. There is something slightly unnatural about the islands. Evolution works faster than it does other parts of the world. The unusually high rate of mutations has created an enormous diversity of plant and animal life, allowing the islands to produce an exceptional variety of cash crops, rare woods, delicious foods, and luxurious textiles and furs. The people too are beautifully diverse with a wide spectrum of skin tones and a veritable rainbow of eye colors. But there is a dark side too. Although there is almost no pollution, the islands still have high rates of cancer and birth defects. Worse still, the bacteria and viruses that cause infectious diseases are as unnaturally diverse and abundant as all the other life on the islands. Some vaccines do not work at all. Others lose their effectiveness and require more frequent booster shots than on the mainland. Antibiotics are difficult to use without breeding antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Hemorrhagic fevers, malaria, and sleeping sickness are the most serious threats, but other types of diseases can be difficult too.

The inhabitants of the islands call themselves Uinzahirza (literally "islands people," singular Uinzahir) and they call outsiders Tramrasinghirza ("mainlanders"). Because the Veiled Islands are so isolated, the people have little knowledge of other countries' geography and they do not distinguish other island nations from "the mainland." So people from Turori or Hampton Island are still "Tramrasinghirza" even though they live on islands.

The native language of the Veiled Islands is called either Raii or Uinzaii. Technically, Uinzaii is the local dialect and Raii is the ancestral form of the language, but they are mutually intelligible and many people on the islands still refer to the language as "Raii." It is a heavily inflected language and it is written in its own unique alphabet. Because the islands are so isolated, most Uinzahirza have never heard a foreign language spoken aloud. There are libraries containing texts in Aikai, Etra, Mei, and English, but any other foreign language is completely unknown. Many islanders are not even aware that other languages exist.

Uinzahirza are a religious people, frequently seeking divine protection against the plagues that ravage the islands, but they are also pragmatic. They are very careful about cleanliness, personal hygiene, and safe food preparation. They are also very reserved when it comes to physical contact between people. Uinzaii culture is very formal, and people are expected to ask permission before having almost any contact. People in the Veiled Islands usually wear face coverings to prevent the spread of airborne illnesses, and they wear loose gauzy garments to cope with the hot humid weather. Although they are very standoffish about physical contact, Uinzahirza are not prudish about revealing attire. It is acceptable to wear thin see-through fabrics or to show a lot of skin -- as long as nobody is touching each other.

Athletes competing in contact sports wash themselves thoroughly before and after every game. Since the typical loose garments are not practical to wear while playing sports, athletes instead cover themselves with a substance called bircuhaset. Bircuhaset is made from a mix of clay, dyes, and medicinal herbs. It has anti-microbial properties and a variety of dyes can be added to produce different colors. Athletes decorate their bodies with different colors of bircuhaset, sometimes creating elaborate animalistic designs like crocodile scales or leopard spots. Since the bircuhaset has to be repainted before every game, the Uinzaii national football team will be using different patterns for each game throughout the Baptism of Fire.

Halashet Faincher at a practice game in Cimuineida, where the team trained for the Baptism of Fire

I Give My Opponent Permission To:
=================================
Choose My Goalscorers: Y
Godmod Goalscoring Events: Y, but obey the laws of physics and stuff
Injure Players: Minor injuries only
Godmod Injury Events: Minor injuries only
Red Card Players: N
Yellow Card Players: Y
Godmod Other Events: N
Last edited by The Veiled Islands on Sun May 03, 2020 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tequilo
Envoy

Founded: Dec 04, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

BoF-72 #2 Pre-MD1

Postby Tequilo » Sun May 03, 2020 5:37 am

La CASA TLALQUI
Nuevo Camino-220, Pueblo Chanco Cóndor, Distrito Norte de Huayna-Comitán, Guastanango

At the little adobe house on the dangerous bend toward the end of Nuevo Camino, next door to La Rosa Cantina, on the outskirts of the ramshackle village of Chanco Cóndor, the old man Paucarchuco Tlalqui - known to all in Cóndor simply as Chuco - pulled his teeshirt up over his generous belly, scratched himself, and cursed at another car skidding around the dangerous bend right outside la casa. He had every right to be concerned - twice in the last two years young drunk drivers from the town had crashed through the front of the house. Poor old Gato-Chili must be the only cat in history to have been run over by a car whilst curled up asleep on a window sill, indoors. He was still lame and nervous two years later, and made sure to only sleep in the back of the house.

"Bastardos de Cóndor!" grumbled Chuco, "and where is that girl of ours?! Probably out with them!"

More than likely, his siren only daughter Lilián was indeed running with Los Bastardos. She certainly had an easy talent for finding trouble.

Mama Tlalqui - Carhuanina, more commonly Nina - poured them both a shot of the black and bitter rhizote brew from the family flask, still steaming hot. She sat down on the old sofa, picked a puro from the family cigar box, put her feet up on the coffee table, clipped and lit her cigar. Sucking on the tobacco to bring it to life, and puffing out an aromatic blue fog, she took the remote control and turned on the family television.

"Come sit down, old man," she said, not unkindly, "the pitxi is on. Lilián will be back when she is good and ready."

"When she is good and knocked up you mean, Nina," said Chuco, taking his place next to his wife, and signalling for a pull on the puro.

Nina slapped him fondly on his big, once-muscular arm. "Tlalqui girls can look after themselves, Chuco, you know that. Now hold your tongue. I want to watch this Baptism!"

Next up on ParaísoTV's Deportivo Valiente channel 4 tonight, Bautismo de Fuego - our brand new magazine programme presented by the network's top sports anchor, Neizan Baztán, with expert analysis from ex-footballer turned pundit Haizinto. Right after these commercial presentations from our channel sponsors.

"Aaai!" exclaimed Nina Tlalqui, a viewer from the North Huayna-Comitán district, "Haizinto? Haizinto Ordoiza? How can you get expert analysis from the worst footballer in pitxi history?! How does he do it, he never seems to go away?! Spitting lizards, the man has the luck of the devil!" Her husband laughed. "They spent all their money hiring Neizan Baztán," he said, "Haizinto was probably the only one who would do it for free!" Nina Tlalqui nodded her head sagely, "and it's still too much," she said.

Good evening pitxi fans of Tequilo, and welcome to the first edition of our Baptism of Fire coverage here on your favourite sports channel, DV4! Tonight, a preview: where in the multiverse is Delaclava, who are Tierraholgada1, Puertosalvaje2 and Cabeza de Cono3 - some of the nations Los Mextiqos will be matched against, and what hope Mauricio Nores can lead us out of the group stage? Joining me tonight, fans' favourite Haizinto, with over fifteen appearances in a long career taking in some twenty-plus clubs, there is no-one more experienced when it comes to pitxi analysis -

"Pfft! What a joke!" said Nina, her husband making noises of strong agreement.

- good evening, Haize - you've had an extensive look at the group stage and the competition as a whole. Before we get into the detail, what do you see? How is this going to play out? Can Los Mextiqos compete? Your initial impressions, if you will.

Good evening Neizan, and thanks for having me. The studio looks great, love these graphics, and those cameras - are they industry standard?
Not sure Haize - we'll get back to you on that. Your first impressions for the tournament?

Well Neizan, um, the err budget, and, um, my geography skills and… well, I wouldn't exactly agree about my looking at this being, um… extensive, as you say.

Haize, are you saying you haven't done your homework?!

"Of course he hasn't" - Nina, at the television.

More circumstancial really, Neizan, you know - the dog ate it sort of thing. In a nutshell, I decided to go for the armchair approach and research from the comfort of my own home. Information was sparse. What I can tell you, at this point, is that my eyes will be on Villablanca and Las Islas Tranquilas4 in Ethane; Maccajesus5 in Appalachia; with Tierraholgada and Puertosalvaje in Delaclava.

And both those latter two in our group, Haize - you think it's going to be tough for Los Mextiqos then?

Err, yes, yes, probably - they're in our group are they, Neizan? I didn't realise… well in that case, yes, very tough group. But I'd still fancy us to win the whole thing.

"BASTARDO!!!" - Nina and her husband, Chuco, screamed at the TV set in chorus, outraged at this ridiculous and frankly entirely unlucky prediction. "Well that's put a palabra on the whole damn thing, husband," said Nina. Chuco supped his rhizote, agreeing. "Escarabajo de mierda!"

MUSEO de PITXI
1, Plaza Pitxi, Camino Recto, Distrito Socrates, Tapalupé

…as we pass through the ornate hand-carved sixteenth century Teqiloak doors, we come to the large and majestic former dining hall for the aristocratic family who built this grand palace, and we find the space dedicated to Los Cálculos, some of the greatest fixtures in the Tequlioan sporting calendar. Anyone who wishes to know anything about pitxe in our grand union, should first come here and learn about El Splendído, about the Térifico, de Oro, the Gigántico, and El Magnífico! Every pitxe fan in Tequilo has a favourite Cálculo, and can tell you the complete history of that fixture. So - as I am an expert on pitxe, I will tell you everything you want to know about los Cálculos. Ask me, what do you want to know, and I will tell you. Right now I will tell you and I will not need to look it up. Guaranteed! What is you question?

What is piyacoque, you ask me, again? And I say again, as if you didn't know! I see you have been watching Traficos on your internet televisions back in your home country! I don't know about the first two seasons, maybe that is what they are like down in Panamala, but let me tell you, seasons three and four? Traficos Tequiloa? Pah! A disgrace! It is all fantasy! I will not speak of it any more - what people must think of us! Do not ask me about piyacoque, señor, for the rest of this tour! Ask me another - look at where we are, look at these fine exhibits, this rich seam of pitxe history! Ask me about this. Not something obvious - something challenging. Ask me your rarely asked question, dear turisto.

Why so many applications of hyperbolic superlative descriptors you ask me. Forgive my language skills but what do you mean by that, in simple terms?

RAQ: You have some funny names for Los Cálculos, what is that about?

For many days leading up to the time when you wrestle with your neighbour in the street to settle a debt or to prove a point, you will speak to everyone you know about how you will knock the man's block off. You will tell anyone who will listen to watch out, because you will kick the little shitbeetle into the middle of next week. And then there comes a time when you can talk no more, and all the neighbourhood knows that a reckoning has come, un cálculo. And you must wrestle with your neighbour to prove who is king of the barrio. Now whatever the result, perhaps the loser won't accept defeat lightly, and a week or two later, the talking begins again. Rumours circulate. This time, the locals start speculating - will there be another reckoning? Who will win this time? Perhaps there will be some casual bets. And the wrestling begins again, and everyone now has a vested interest and they come to support the mule they have backed. And perhaps, because you two mules are so thick-headed and stubborn that you never back down, this fight, this reckoning, becomes a regular fixture in the street. One time, you end up fighting on a Tuesday when the dustbins are out for collection, and you use the bins to gain an advantage. Rubbish is scattered everywhere and you score a famous win by imaginative use of the bin lid. The fight goes down in history in the neighbourhood, as the great binlid scrap - la gran chatarra de la tapa del cubo de basura, which being such a mouthful, is usually remembered simply as 'the binlid' - el tapabasura. Thereafter, all your street brawls with that neighbour are referred to with the same label. And before you know it, that is how your relationship with your neighbour is defined.

The animosity that leads to a reckoning extends, of course, to rival neighbourhoods, to towns, to regions and to countries; some cálculos are wars with millions of deaths. On a lighter note, two cantinas in the same street might develop a rivalry based on the politics of the customers or the mores of the cantiñeras. Athletic clubs may find themselves in regular sporting trials against one another, and local pitxi clubs the same. But here, the rivalry becomes codified, and there is such passion, that los cálculos are the great events of the season. Many rival towns have their own Cálculo, most cities with more than one club will have them, and national rivalries between the big clubs develop into reckonings, or cálculos. And naturally, like the trash-talking neighbours, each clash comes with a lot of bravado and boasting, and from this has come a collection of curious, humorous and downright oddball labels for certain fixtures - most of which use some form of - what do you call it? - superlative? With which to assume a mantle of added importance.

For example. Of course, as you probably already know, the real big one is El Splendído - and that is the clash of the two most successful teams in the country, who's rivalry is not of cities or towns or neighbourhoods, but of trophies and titles. Pitxi-Pitxi 77 Club, of Ixta-Comitán in Chazapo State, against CF Frantxizko-A of Iragartze in Puezan really is the big one, over and above The Big One (El Grandísimo - Alianxa vs. Motozintla in Tirinto), the Real Big One (El Fácticograndísimo - ironically the small second tier pairing of Cáfunda vs. Lotsagarria in Tiresias) and a multitude of Térificos, Gigánticos, Hümungos, Tremendos, Massívos, and Fantastícos, all of which you can discover in this magnificent room with a bit of investigation.

Another to mention is de Oro, which in fact not a reckoning of two identified clubs, but el cálculo for the national knockout cup, officially the Copa Tequilo. Once two teams reach the final, they will compete in de Oro for the chance to become the cup winners. Another of the really big ones pits two Índigo greats against each other, as Pitxi-Pitxi 77 - the Ixta people's main club - take on Xicoans, of Xico-Comitlán, the representative club of the Xico people; this one, almost as big as El Splendído, is known as El Tzizla and can attract 100,000 spectators to the fixture at the Traxapa Stadium in Ixta. Let us not forget the Huayna people, who's club Índigo Huayna meet their cross-town rivals Acacoyagua in another unforgattable cálculo - El Huappa.

The hyperbole (I have learned that word now, thank you eloquent turista) does not just extend to the big matches and big clubs: any rivalry may take on gigantic proportions for those who have a vested interest, as has been explored with your neighbours when you yourself get into a fight with the old man next door. My favourite, I think, is El Graso Graso Bom Bom, between Chazapa part-timers El Rinoceronte and Luis de Lunar IX. No-one quite knows how the fixture became the Fatty Fatty Boom Boom cálculo, but in local football, it is one of the great carnival days in the pueblo of San Joahaxa de Pancreo.

ImageImage
Colección Stiki-StikiTM brings you the first complimentary sticker for your new Bautismo de Fuego 72 collection album, and who better to start with than veteran leftback Patrick Zambo, 30, of Resplendiente, one of the Big-10 of Maranco state with 11 state titles and one national cup win? Zambo himself, of Liberalo ethnicity, was part of the 112th Maranco state season title winning campaign with the team from the city La Conon, who are nicknamed Los Grisesnegros, for their not-so-resplendent grey and black club colours (these themselves inspired by the plumage of the Resplendent Desert Jackdaw). A reliable and intelligent fullback, Zambo has made 48 appearances for the Maranco state Seleccion, scoring 3 goals, and was an obvious first choice for coach Mauricio Nores for the first ever unified Tequilo national team.

Born and raised in La Conon, Zambo joined his hometown team as youth player and moved through the junior ranks to quickly break into the first team at the tender age of 17. He impressed in that 110th state championship, and featured regularly as a decent Resplendiente team rose to the top over the coming seasons. In the title-winning year, aged 19, Zambo was a familiar sight in the side, although still behind regular veteran Hugo Ravelino - but not for long. The next season he graduated to first choice left back, succeeding his retiring mentor Ravelino, and stayed there. While Resplendiente remained competitive, with Zambo a fixture for the next decade, they have not managed to win another title, finishing second on three occasions.

Making over 250 appearances for his hometown club, and hitting an average of 5 goals per season to boot, Zambo is a much loved figure in the Resplendiente side; with no rival team of any stature in the city of La Conon, pitxi followers there are undivided in their affection for the left back. A tall and strong defender, he has a good turn of pace, doesn't mind getting forward a bit to link up with attacking wingers, and is comfortable on the ball. He can tackle too and has strong positional sense, with no real weakness to exploit in his play. Perhaps Patrick Zambo doesn't have the flamboyance and glamour of fellow Grisesnegros teammates Teo Ariza or legendary playboy Maxtla Tepin, nor indeed of national team colleagues Chicchan and Mateo Tafalla, but the gentle giant will give 100% every game, and well deserves his Señor Seguro title, a favourite nickname for him in La Conon.

FOOTNOTES
1Baggieland
2Havynwilde
3Kohnhead
4Riena
5Maccian
Last edited by Tequilo on Sun May 03, 2020 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
::: FORGOTTEN BUT NOT GONE :::
BECAUSE BECAUSE BECAUSE

Riennic Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 14, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Riennic Isles » Sun May 03, 2020 7:30 am

Kanata Shiranami awoke with a start.

For the briefest of moments, she couldn't place her surroundings. The ceiling overhead was stained with patches of toxic-looking damp. Near the periphery of her vision, a creaky ceiling fan spun lazily, doing nothing to dispel the suffocating tropical heat of the afternoon. Staring idly at the ceiling, Kanata tried to sort through her sleep-addled thoughts - why on earth was she in this run-down, ramshackle room, rather than in the air-conditioned dorm room she was used to back at university?

She closed her eyes for a few seconds. Maybe it was just a hallucination brought on by the heat. The weather had been ridiculously warm the last couple of days. Maybe it would all go away in a moment.

Kanata passed a hand over her eyes, silently counting down one, two, three seconds, before cracking open an eyelid. The splotches of damp still adorned the ceiling like an avant-garde experiment gone horribly wrong. The discoloured ceiling fan was still whirring away, its irritating mechanical creaking slowly eating away at Kanata's sanity. Kanata didn't have to try very hard to imagine the ceiling fan mocking her for her naivety. It pained her to admit it, but she knew perfectly well that she was awake and lucid, and that the situation she found herself in very much not a figment of a feverish imagination.

"Ugh."

Kanata swore under her breath as she groggily swung herself off the bed and onto her feet. The loose-fitting T-shirt she was wearing was drenched in sweat, the damp cotton sticking uncomfortably to her skin in patches. Kanata ripped off the T-shirt and hurled it into her overflowing laundry basket with more venom than she needed. It was the height of summer, and she would start sweating buckets the second she stepped out of the shower, but to hell with that. Kanata Shiranami was past caring about such trivialities.

All she wanted right now was to cool her head with some cold water. Maybe then she would be able to make some sort of sense of the crazy situation she found herself in.

One quick shower later, Kanata wasn't too sure that she felt any better. The shower had been a tepid, lukewarm affair; if anything, it left Kanata feeling more lethargic than she had been before. Sighing, Kanata carelessly draped her towel across a nearby chair and slipped into her usual gear - T-shirt, shorts, cap, sneakers. Without missing a beat, she grabbed her phone and keys from her bedside table, locked the door behind her, and stepped out of her dilapidated room, straight into the searing heat of the summer afternoon.

It took Kanata less than a minute of brisk walking to reach her destination, but by the time she got there, the first beads of sweat were already breaking out on her forehead. From the concrete breakwater where she stood, the sparkling expanse of the ocean spread out before her. A stiff breeze tickled Kanata's cheek as she swung herself onto one of the many benches lining the beach and swiped pensively at her phone. If this had been any other time, she would've enjoyed a trip to the beach. It would've been a welcome respite from the many demands and pressures of her life. But this was not any other time. She was here because she had a job to do.

Kanata felt someone tap her shoulder from behind. Letting out a weary sigh, she gave herself a couple of seconds to compose herself before turning - and almost poking her eye out on someone's outstretched finger.

"Nao. For the love of fuck." Kanata shot her assistant a baleful glare as she got to her feet while rubbing the sore spot on her cheek.

"All the girls are over there, boss. We're just waiting for you to get started." An impish grin plastered across her face, Nao Tomori pivoted on her heel and gestured vaguely in the direction of the beach. From where the two of them stood, Kanata could just about make out several distant figures milling around on the sand, kicking what looked like a beach ball between themselves.

"Right. Did you remember to bring the equipment I asked for?"

"Sure did, boss."

Nao led Kanata down the beachfront, towards where a pile of equipment lay beneath a lanky coconut tree. Between the two of them, it took Kanata and Nao no time at all to finish setting up. When they were done, a rough approximation of a court lay in the fine sand before them. The crude court was, for all intents and purposes, a hastily set up beach volleyball court.

"Nao, get the girls over here, will you?" Kanata set aside the stick she'd been using to mark the boundaries of the court and surveyed the result of her work with some satisfaction. Sure, the aluminium poles driven into the sand on opposite edges of the court swayed ever so slightly in the ocean breeze, and the boundaries of the court weren't as straight as she would have liked them to be, but it would do for Kanata's purposes.

By the time Nao returned, with the players jogging briskly in single file behind her, Kanata had unfurled a moth-eaten beach volleyball net and was busy tying its ends to the aluminium poles. As soon as Kanata was finished with the net, she retrieved a ball from beneath the coconut tree and lobbed it in the direction of the players. The ball struck the sand and bounced a couple of times before dribbling slowly to a halt, right at the feet of the captain, Hijiri Sakuranami. The players stared at Kanata, then they stared at Nao, then they stared at the makeshift beach volleyball court, its bedraggled net flapping sadly in the wind.

"Uhh ... wrong sport, Kanata?" One of her players piped up, a hint of sheepishness in her voice. Kanata pretended not to hear.

"Right, there are twenty-four of you. Four teams of six, losing team rotates out, but not before they do fifty squats each."

Kanata fished out a whistle from her shorts pocket, draped it around her neck and blew a shrill blast.

"It's time to play ball."

Footvolley is a sport with a long and storied history in Riena. Football was first introduced to Riena, an island archipelago with a frankly absurd number of beaches, in the form of its beach-based counterpart. The highly improvisational and technical nature of beach football is commonly cited as the main reason for Riena's traditionally strong emphasis on attacking, skillful football; but it also had the secondary effect of spawning a derivative sport in the form of footvolley. Often described as an amalgamation of football and beach volleyball, footvolley in Riena is, for all intents and purposes, identical to beach volleyball.

The only crucial difference? You aren't allowed to touch the ball with your hands. Where beach football in its entirety was a pure distillate of sublime skill, footvolley was an exercise in endurance, finesse and control, three fundamental precursors in an alchemical reaction that elevated raw potential to true skill. If you were good at footvolley, the odds were good that you'd be fairly decent at any variation of football played in the multiverse. Any variation that didn't involve forces beyond human understanding, at any rate.

Kanata dug out a tablet from Nao's stash of equipment, perched herself on a nearby rocky outcrop, and began taking notes in painstaking detail. Crouched beside her, Nao assiduously kept count of the score, her eyes glued to the ball as it was by turns curled, fizzed, kneed, floated, poked, dinked, shinned, and blootered across the fraying net. On occasion, the two of them would leap to their feet in perfect sync, hands thrown up and faces contorted in disgust at a wayward attempt. One particularly woeful effort, hopelessly sliced by the tragic Mana Amemiya, sailed all of fifty yards beyond the court and kissed the backside of a young man working on his tan. Kanata hopped off her rock and bought the bemused man a drink for his trouble; Mana bought herself an extra two hours of on-the-ball training the next morning.

No one said footvolley was easy.

Two hours of intense footvolley later, the carnage was quite complete. Nao had made a drinks run to the nearest beach hut and returned with an entire cooler filled to the brim with isotonic drinks. She reached court-side just in time to see the last survivor collapse onto the sand in exhaustion, painfully gasping for breath like a stranded fish.

" ... double endurance sessions ... there we go." Kanata made one final addition to her dossier of notes, set her tablet aside, and joined her assistant in making the rounds of the fallen, handing out fresh towels and cold drinks. On the whole, Kanata reckoned they had done a good afternoon's work. It had only been a week since she had been coerced into becoming the manager of the Riena national team and tasked with getting an entire squad up to speed for multiversal competition, but she fancied she could see promising signs of improvement among her charges.

She had met these players one week ago. Three weeks remained before the Baptism of Fire kicked off.

Three weeks to whip twenty-three players into peak condition. Twenty-one days to mould something vaguely resembling a functional football team out of a steaming heap of shapeless putty.

A sadistic smile crossed Kanata's face as she cradled her fallen captain's head in her arms and bottled isotonic drink into her.

Kanata Shiranami had no idea if their little footballing adventure would turn out to be a glorious epic for the ages or a painfully truncated tragedy.

All she knew was that as long as she was manager of this sorry excuse for a football team, she would have fun doing things her way.
Last edited by Riennic Isles on Sun May 03, 2020 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tranquil Isles of Riena
Formerly behind Mizuyuki and Kirisaki, Kyrin#2458 on Discord.

Mavinet
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavinet » Sun May 03, 2020 10:43 am

© Dai Hoa Times
Baptism of Fire 72: Mavinet to stick to core principles despite facing unknown qualities
by Lam Manh Hai, Senior Sports Editor

The Dai Hoa Times welcome readers across the nation to its special series covering the Mavinese national football team's participation in the 72nd Baptism of Fire and 85th World Cup qualifiers. Our dedicated and experienced sport editors will provide information before and after each match, as well as comments and opinions from the experts as we accompany the national team in this journey.

--------------------------

Mavinet's 23-man squad landed in New Sarum, Ethane on Monday to officially begin their journey in the 72nd Baptism of Fire tournament. The long journey from Rushmori to Esportiva required the team to depart early to have enough time to recover and acclimatize themselves to an unfamiliar environment. The Mavinese Football Association have generously provided budget for the team's accommodation at a 4-star hotel near the training area in New Sarum. This will help the Water Buffaloes to stay in good physical condition for a potentially long tournament.

Since the competition was designed to be a playground for new countries that have never participated in the World Cup, most teams, if not all, will be unfamiliar with Mavinese football fans, as much as Mavinet is still an unknown name on the international stage. This year's edition of the Baptism of Fire features 56 teams equally divided into 8 groups of 7. Mavinet were placed in Group E with 6 other teams: Villablanca, Shokpos, Donnacona, When U Die, The Appraisal To The Allmighty MR TAYTO, and Lake Esper. These teams come from various regions across the world, with Donnacona a fellow Rushmori nation and Lake Esper coming from the same region as the host, Esportiva.

Coming up is our first match of the tournament against Lake Esper. Not much information about this team is available for public reference, other than that they are a Esportivan team. Lake Esper are not putting up public information about their roster in this competition in a bid to prevent opponents from doing research on their players and tactics. There are signs of their reporters being in Ethane but not much else is available, not even information about the players or head coach.

With this secretive approach to the tournament, Lake Esper will be a mysterious wildcard to all other teams, and Mavinet can only focus on our own tactic and approach to the first match. Speaking to our reporter after one of their training sessions on Thursday, Head Coach Nguyen Minh Quan commented on how the team will play in the upcoming match: "Regardless of the availability of information about the opponents, we will still build our team and plays around core principles and aims. Anyone who watched Mavinet's participation in the Sporting World Cup and Di Bradini Cup will notice the consistent disciplined defensive and counter-attack tactic in both the U18 and U21 teams. This approach was quite successful at the junior levels, so I really want to employ it at the senior level. We did face challenges in the Copa Rushmori, but I believe with more training and cohesion, this team can successfully execute our game plan and get good results. Of course we will be flexible on the field, but as you know, most of the teams in this competition are new so there isn't a lot of history to study. We will just have to observe and adjust as things happen."

The Water Buffaloes will have 2 more days to prepare for the first match. It will be an exciting day to see how much our national team has improved since the Copa Rushmori XXXIV.

For the fans who couldn't travel to Ethane to support the team, you can watch the match live on MBC1 and MBC3 on matchdays, with preview and review programs before and after each match. Below is the fixtures of Mavinet national team in the 72nd Baptism of Fire's Group Stage, along with the channel for each match:

Match 1: Mavinet v Lake Esper, MBC1
Match 2: Mavinet v Villablanca, MBC1
Match 3: Mavinet v Shokpos, MBC3
Match 4: Mavinet v Donnacona, MBC1
Match 5: Mavinet v When U Die, MBC3
Match 6: Mavinet v The Appraisal To The Allmighty MR TAYTO, MBC3

Lineup against Lake Esper

Last edited by Mavinet on Sun May 03, 2020 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Champion: Baptism of Fire 72
    Third place: Di Bradini Cup 47

Lake Esper
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Lake Esper » Sun May 03, 2020 10:56 am

LAKE ESPER NATIONAL TEAM
Baptism of Fire 72

Football culture has existed in Lake Esper since its colonial period, and a robust league system features twelve clubs that compete regularly for the Azure Trophy. The nation's capital, Esper City, plays host to several of these teams, and there is a fierce rivalry between Queen's Park, Newstreet, Esper City, and Esper Triangle. Esper Sporting, a youth academy, is run out of the nation's Ministry of Sports, Arts, and Culture (MINSAC), and it produces a crop of strong young players every year. However, a national team has not existed until now, and it seems to have been created for political reasons more than sporting reasons — but still, the nation will be intensely attuned to their nation's performance in the upcoming series of international competition.

In a bid to prevent infighting among the Esper City clubs especially, MINSAC appointed Cian Hargrave, the head coach of Esper Sporting, as the national team's head coach, and Eagan Longstaff, an Esper School of Economics psychology professor, as his assistant coach, hoping that he will be able to gain some insight into opposing team's tactics and strategy. Since football culture in Lake Esper is fairly rough-and-tumble, the national team is also fairly aggressive, especially in terms of offense: Hargrave firmly believes that the best defense is a good offense, and he has brought four of his most promising strikers from Esper Sporting along to prove it.

COACHING STAFF
Head Coach: Cian Hargrave, 42
Assistant Coach: Eagan Longstaff, 53
Captain: Jamie Venus (CM), 25

STARTING 11
Pos	Name			Age	Club	
GK Sem Selbergh 25 Queen's Park
CB Oliver Pemberley 26 Esper City
CB Kieran Grayling 18 Essendon Royal
DM Andrew Fairfield 21 Zephyr Point
CM Jack Ashmore 20 Graycliff Precipice
CM Jamie Venus 25 Esper City
AC Hadrian Salo 30 Harrowgate United
LW Julian Carroway 20 Longview City
ST Eli Gallant 18 Esper Sporting
ST Percy Southwark 18 Esper Sporting
RW Christopher Mirren 21 Newstreet

RESERVE PLAYERS
Pos	 Name			Age	Club
GK Cyan Rowntree 24 Newstreet
LB Jess Kynaston 25 Essendon Royal
RB Michael Webster 26 Glencairn City
DM Shane Treloar 24 Graycliff Precipice
CM Leo Scieran 24 Aspen Firgenholt
CM Charlie Kirksanton 29 Aurant Evergreen
CM Kian Marlow 22 Esper Triangle
AM Will Connolly 22 Esper City
AM Aric Blackburn 23 Newstreet
ST Tadhg Seabrook 19 Esper Sporting
ST Ian Keswick 18 Esper Sporting

OOC INFORMATION
Style Mod: +4
Choose My Goalscorers:        Y
Godmod Goalscoring Events: Y
Injure Players: Y (within reason)
Godmod Injury Events: N
Red Card Players: Y
Godmod Other Events: N

Riennic Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 14, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Riennic Isles » Sun May 03, 2020 11:48 am

Sakurako
    Ohayō, Riena! Good morning to all of you football fanatics at home! I'm Sakurako, and welcome to -
Himawari
    Ohayō! I'm Himawari! Welcome to our coverage of -
Sakurako
    ahem - our coverage of an historic moment for the Riena national team, who will be playing their first ever multiversal match at the Wavelet Arena today!
Himawari
    I'm sure those of you who have been closely following our beloved national team will already know this, but for the sake of those who haven't - today's opponents are HUElavia, the team ranked a positively vertiginous 23rd in the multiverse by the World Cup Committee, the august arbiter of multiversal rankings for the sport. Coached by the talented Ivan Mendieta-Martinez, HUElavia are sure to pose a stiff challenge for our girls today.
Sakurako
    Frankly, that's the sort of childishly simplistic analysis I've come to expect from you over the years, Himawari. As much as it pains me to say so, just about any team in the multiverse would fancy their chances against Kanata Shiranami's team at present. It's been exactly ten days since Shiranami, the rookie manager, was installed in the Riena hotseat. I just don't think ten days is enough for her to leave any sort of mark on a world-class team, let alone the footballing minnows that Riena are at the moment.
Himawari
    Setting the malicious potshot at me aside, I have to agree with the rest of what you just said. Short of turning the entire squad into fully-fledged cybernetic androids, there is absolutely no way Shiranami has had enough time to prepare her team for any sort of competitive fixture, let alone one against a team that can feasibly be expected to be regular qualifiers for the World Cup finals. One positive, though, is that this is a bit of a free hit for the manager and her team - no one is going to criticise her even if we get absolutely routed, so she has free rein to experiment with her tactics and selection. She will want to make that clear to the players too - no pressure, none at all. No sane person will expecting them to get any sort of result.
Sakurako
    Riena's players should definitely be going out there and playing without fear. Although they have had precious little in the way of actual match preparation, this match against HUElavia is a golden opportunity to show the manager what they are capable of in an actual match at senior level. I'm sure Shiranami has made her own assessments of her players over the past ten days, but performing in a match against senior level opposition is a very different beast compared to scoring ten goals a match against the under-18 side.
Himawari
    Quite, a bit like the difference between getting a boyfriend in primary school and actually getting hitched nowadays. Surely that's something you can empathise with, Sakurako. At any rate, even though Shiranami hasn't had long with the players, I think she will already have formed an opinion as to her strongest starting XI, and we can expect her to use this match to separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were.
Sakurako
    Speak of the devil. We've just received the starting XIs for both teams. For HUElavia, Mendieta-Martinez has named a youthful, relatively attacking lineup. Jose Antonio Lobato starts in goal for the HUElavians, with a back four consisting of Joao Coelho, Kira Smirnov, Carolina Acosta, and Raul Amaru-Dominguez. The midfield is anchored by the defensive midfielder Natalia Ramirez, who will provide cover for the more attacking duo of Joao Freitas and Rafael Almeida. Starting in attack are Samuel Sissoko, Ayuka Hamada, and Marc Navarro.
Himawari
    The first thing that strikes me about Mendieta-Martinez's starting XI is its youthfulness. I'm not entirely sure if the HUElavians are sending their second string or even their under-23 team out against us - though given Riena's status as relative minnows - they would perhaps be justified in doing so. It looks like the HUElavians have opted for a relatively attacking 4-3-3 formation. I must say, though, that the relatively diminutive Ayuka Hamada is a surprising choice at center forward - given Riena's well-documented height disadvantage against most other teams in the multiverse, perhaps the likes of Bruno Moutinho-Figo, who clocks in at a towering 1.88 metres, might have been a more natural pick against our girls.
Sakurako
    I'm guessing Mendieta-Martinez will be asking his forward line to interchange throughout the match. Hamada might well be a more versatile and mobile option that Moutinho-Figo, which makes her a better fit for a more fluid strategy. Sissoko and Navarro, the wingers, are quite lanky. HUElavia could cause Riena quite the headache in defence if that pacey front three can drag our defenders out of position.
Himawari
    The starting XI for Riena, meanwhile, is as follows. Miho Minato starts in goal, and she's protected by Kano Uruha, Yui Narita, Mana Amemiya, and Emi Himemori in front of her. In midfield, Hijiri Sakuranami, who has been named captain for this fixture, plays in a covering defensive midfield role, while Mishiro Kawakaze and Aya Nakiri start in slightly more advanced positions. Rounding out the Riena starting XI for this match are the forward three; Tsumugi Suenaga, Rion Kanzaki, and Flare Steiner. At first blush, this looks like a very similar 4-3-3 setup to the one HUElavia have gone for. In fact, the only significant difference I can spot is Shiranami's usage of a target man, Kanzaki, instead of a more mobile option.
Sakurako
    Shiranami did spring a couple of surprises on us, though - many pundits expected her to pick Kaede Igarashi, who is the more natural defender, ahead of Uruha, who can be reckless in defence, against more illustrious opponents. Meanwhile, the inclusion of Kawakaze ahead of Tomoe Ishibashi, a creative midfielder tipped by many to be Riena's creative maestro, also raises some questions. It seems like Shiranami might be caught between her natural instinct to go for the jugular and her urge to play more cautiously against superior opponents.
Himawari
    Or Shiranami might have identified the right side of HUElavia's defence as the weakest link in their defence. Playing Uruha there would certainly provide an attacking thrust down that side, especially if Suenaga manages to impose herself on the game. Given Coelho's inexperience, he might well find it difficult to deal with two separate attacking threats down his flank at the same time. I concede, however, that the same logic applies to our defenders; Sissoko in particular must be relishing running into the huge gaps that Uruha is bound to leave in our defence.
Sakurako
    But that's enough talk of tactics! The long-awaited moment is upon us - the teams are out on the pitch and in position! Sakuranami wins the coin toss and chooses to have Riena kick off this historic match in front of Riena's fans, who are absolutely buzzing with anticipation and excitement. Kanzaki places the ball on the center spot. The referee puts his lips to his whistle - and we're off!
Himawari
    Straight from the kick-off, Kanzaki passes it backwards to Sakuranami, who immediately comes under pressure from Hamada. She's forced to go backwards, to Minato, who takes a quick touch and then absolutely shanks it into the stands. That's not the most confident of starts from Riena.
Sakurako
    It's going to be Freitas to take the throw - he takes it short to Ramirez. The defensive midfielder dips his shoulder and expertly dodges Kawakaze - who came in charging like a bullet train there - helps the ball square to Almeida. He has no shortage of options here, but chooses to bring the ball forward on his own. Kawakaze is hopelessly out of position, and all of a sudden, Narita and Amemiya look dangerously exposed here, they're backpedaling furiously - Almeida buys a ticket for the raffle! He's scuffed it ever so slightly, but it's still a humdinger of an effort, and it soars inches wide of the Riena upright!
Himawari
    No way Minato would have managed to get there in time. Narita and Amemiya must be breathing a sigh of relief right now. They simply panicked and failed to shut down the danger. Kawakaze will also have to take the blame for diving into that challenge on Ramirez. You just can't leave your central defensive pairing exposed like that. It's barely been two minutes into the game, and already Shiranami will have some food for thought.

Sakurako
    We've just passed the half-hour mark here, and it's frankly a wonder that the game is still goalless. HUElavia have been absolutely dominant from the first whistle, and were it not for a combination of poor finishing, the upright, and fantastic goalkeeping on Minato's part, you have to wonder if Riena would already be five goals down at this point. Here's Sissoko with the ball - turns Uruha inside out with a series of stepovers - and lets fly from a tight angle! It cannons off the angle of the crossbar and away! Oh my word, that just might be the closest Mendieta-Martinez's side have come to scoring so far. He must be wondering why they aren't already home and hosed!
Himawari
    Yes, the Riena goal has been leading something of a charmed life if I'm honest. HUElavia look dangerous every time they venture forward, and I'm not sure Riena will manage to hold out for too much longer. It will be a miracle if they can make it to half time without conceding.
Sakurako
    It's going to be Smirnov to pick up the loose ball in midfield. Sakuranami almost manages to nick the ball off him, but only manages to deflect it into the path of the oncoming Amaru-Dominguez. He slaloms his way past one, two, three Riena players and heads for the touchline. Himemori gets back just in time to deny him the space to cross. The ball's recycled out to Almeidas - he looks up, takes a touch and sends it swirling into the area - and goal!
Himawari
    What a delicious cross that was from Almeidas. It was the quality of the delivery that made the goal. Aimed to perfection, right in that small square of space between Narita and Amemiya, and Hamada has absolutely no problem smashing a bullet header past Minato.
Sakurako
    An excellent cross and an excellent goal. But you do have to question the way the Riena defence fell apart for that goal. Narita switched off and allowed Hamada to run off her shoulder and into the penalty area, and that is something you should never do against a quick forward. You just have to pick your forward up, or else you're going to end up in all sorts of trouble like Narita did there. Credit to Almeidas and Hamada for a well-worked goal, but Riena should definitely have done better with that one.

Sakurako
    Having gotten to half-time just one goal down, Riena must be counting their blessings that they're not down and out of the game already. They have been under the cosh for the entire first forty-five minutes. It looks like Shiranami is now going to take decisive action to remedy the situation - she's bringing on four substitutes. A quick reminder that this is a friendly match, and both managers are entitled to use as many substitutes as they have players sitting on the bench.

Sakurako
    We're ten minutes into the restart, and unfortunately for Riena, it seems to be a case of same old, same old for them. Shiranami's changes have been largely ineffectual, mainly because HUElavia just aren't giving the ball away. They're passing their way through our midfield like it's paper. If this is the sort of quality that Riena will be facing on a regular basis in WCC competition, then I fully expect us to be thrashed more than a few times over the course of the cycle.
Himawari
    HUElavia have been good without being spectacular. But then again, being decent is probably going to be enough against this Riena team. Even though the Riena players have worked their socks off, they've kept us at arm's length comfortably enough while still passing the ball around with confidence and verve. I have a feeling that they could turn on the style at any moment and Riena will be back to desperately defending for our lives.
Sakurako
    I can definitely see that happening. Oh, here's a rare foray forward for Riena. Sakuranami picks up the ball on the edge of the area and lays it off to Himemori. She hesitates for a moment, but manages to get her bearings and finds Steiner wide on the right. Steiner turns on the boosters and tries to blow past Ramirez - oh. She trips over herself and Ramirez has no problem picking up possession.
Himawari
    But wait a second, the referee has given a free kick for Riena! Ramirez is furious! He remonstrates with the referee, but there's just no way he's getting the decision reversed. It did look like Steiner got her feet all mixed up for that tumble, but the referee had a clear view of the incident, and he's decided Steiner was illegally stopped by Ramirez.
Sakurako
    It's going to be a rare opportunity for Riena, and Mendieta-Martinez will be livid if his team concede from this set-piece. Narita and Amemiya lope forward into the area - they'll be hoping to get some decent service here. it's going to be Steiner to take this free kick - oh, that is absolutely woeful. Her effort deflects off Almeida in the wall and loops up into the air, where Lobato can collect comfortably.
Himawari
    Perhaps Steiner was so embarrassed at having won the free kick that she decided to give the ball straight back to HUElavia.
Sakurako
    Lobato winds up and hurls the ball upfield. It's good distribution - excellent distribution - from the HUElavian 'keeper, who finds Sissoko lurking on the right. He has all the space and time in the world to cut infield. He pulls the trigger - Uruha is in the right position to block for once. The ball breaks for the substitute Emilia Leblanc. Oh dear, that's the oldest trick in the book - she pokes the ball between Nakiri's legs and picks it up on the other side. She picks her pass, and it's an excellent through ball that leaves Navarro all alone in the area! Minato goes to ground - just about manages to block the ball - but it rebounds off Navarro's chest and trickles in! Oh dear, things are going from bad to worse for Riena, and they trail HUElavia by two goals to none.
Himawari
    I don't know that there was anything Minato could have done about that goal. She might have committed slightly too early, but the rebound just happened to fall kindly for Navarro, who of course doesn't need a second invitation to score into an empty net. As for the initial pass by Leblanc, I thought Himemori might have stretched to intercept it, but frankly it's much more difficult to react in real time on the pitch. It's a terribly unfortunate goal to concede, all the more so for Minato, who has had an outstanding debut for the national team so far, but no blame apportioned for that one. These things do happen from time to time, and you just have to roll with the punches and hope you get the rub of the green next time.

Sakurako
    The end of the game is fast approaching, and it looks like Riena's first multiversal match is destined to end in defeat. To their credit, our girls have given it their absolute all out on that pitch today, and it would be a very uncharitable fan indeed who would criticise them for such a lion-hearted performance. The fans are still singing their hearts out there; they are certainly getting behind the national team as best as they can today!
Himawari
    There was no shortage of commitment from Riena today, and you'd hope that this game provides them with something to build off of for the future. Our girls were comprehensively outclassed by our opponents today, but given the heart that they've shown so far, I have every confidence that they'll improve, especially as they get more match experience with the national team.
Sakurako
    Here's Nakiri, who's dropped deep to pick up possession from Amemiya. Aurora Conti, who has just come on for Ramirez, tries to barge her off the ball, but Nakiri stays strong and just about gains a yard on the HUElavian midfielder. Nakiri looks up and pings a wonderful crossfield pass to Meru Matsukai, who's somehow one-on-one in the area against 16-year-old Manuel Mendieta! She strips the young HUElavian defender, who's left sprawling on the ground, and looks to shoot - oh! Mendieta grabbed hold of Matsukai's shirt as he fell, and that's a penalty for Riena!
Himawari
    A moment of disaster for Mendieta, who lost his footing at a crucial moment and compounded his error by committing the foul. The referee is going to caution him for that challenge.
Sakurako
    After a quick powwow among the Riena players, Nakiri trots over to retrieve the ball. Looks like she's going to be taking the spot kick. She scuffs the penalty spot with her boot and places the ball down. Is this the moment we have all been waiting for?
Himawari
    You could slice through the tension in the Wavelet Arena with a knife. Nakiri takes a couple of steps back. The silence is absolutely deafening. We're holding our collective breath here ...
Sakurako
    The referee blows his whistle. Nakiri begins her run-up ... she skips, and calmly rolls it past Ana Vallares! The fans explode into a roaring tsunami of chaos! What a beauty of a penalty that is! Nakiri wheels off to celebrate, and immediately gets mobbed by her teammates! Absolute scenes! You'd think Riena had just won the World Cup!
Himawari
    That was quite something from Nakiri! To think she was calm enough, and confident enough, to try that sort of penalty under such immense pressure. Imagine if she'd missed that! She would be known as the player who fluffed the chance to score Riena's first ever goal, at home, against multiversal opposition!
Sakurako
    The referee isn't going to restart the game! He blows the final whistle, and that's the end of Riena's first multiversal match! What an ending that was!
Himawari
    That was a hell of a rollercoaster ride at the end. Riena somehow managed to conjure up a goal out of nothing after having a terrible day at the office, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would begrudge them that goal!
Sakurako
    The Riena players, together with the coaching staff, are making a lap of the Wavelet Arena to thank the fans for their support, and you can almost visualise the outpouring of joy that's spilling forth from the stands. Even though the team ended up on the wrong side of the scoreline, the fans are still ecstatic for the team.
Himawari
    The players are absolutely lapping up the love, and you have to say that it's richly deserved after the superhuman efforts our girls put in today!
Sakurako
    Thank you for joining us for today's coverage of Riena's first ever multiversal match! We will have further analysis of coverage of today's historic match against HUElavia later, including that incredible Nakiri effort, so stay tuned. For now, though, I'm going to get myself a drink or two to celebrate!
Himawari
    Count me in, Sakurako - I think I'll join you for a whisky on the rocks, just for this special occasion!
Sakurako & Himawari
    As always, thank you for your company, and until next time!
The Tranquil Isles of Riena
Formerly behind Mizuyuki and Kirisaki, Kyrin#2458 on Discord.

Sanctanus
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 17, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sanctanus » Sun May 03, 2020 1:07 pm

Right, I keep forgetting to do this. Just in time, I hope.

Sanctanian National Football Team
Nickname: Crusaders
Manager: Nicholas Brighton
Formation: 4-3-3
Style Mod: +2

Starting 11
#1 Oliver Hughes (GK)
#27 Noah Abraham (LB)
#14 David Ricard (CB)
#2 Benjamin Austen (CB)
#12 Bryan Rose (RB)
#19 Timothy Turner (LM)
#6 Adrian Powell (CM)
#8 Tom Carson (RM, Captain)
#33 Zach Arley (LF)
#7 Logan Wyatt (CF)
#20 Isaac Strong (RF)

Substitutes:
#13 Bradley Minor (GK)
#10 Josh Williamson (LB)
#24 Chris Proward (CB)
#18 Robby Goze (CB)
#4 Lionel Frazier (RB)
#3 Rick Smith (RM)
#22 Daniel Streets (CM)
#9 Nathan Gates (LM)
#2 Sam Craig (LF)
#29 Jon Kirk (CF)
#21 Philip Turner (RF)

Choose My Goalscorers: Y
Godmod Goalscoring Events: Y
Injure Players: Y
Godmod Injury Events: N
Red Card Players: N, if you’d like to do this, send me a telegram
Godmod Other Events: Telegram me

South Newlandia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby South Newlandia » Sun May 03, 2020 2:17 pm

ELEPHANT VALLEY MAIL
Sports -> Soccer
A look at the competition, interview with captain

In this brief edition, we will look at South Newlandias group opponents before the first games happen. We also conducted an interview with team captain Mikhail Trischuk.
We will look at the group opponents in the order we play against them, so we will start with Havynwilde.

Havynwilde seems to be one of the strongest teams of the group. They have a great roster, and even collected international experience before the Baptism of Fire in Friendly matches. Players to watch include Ashton Housten, Francis Sutherland, Gavin Cook and goalkeeper Joel Nolans. Zenon-Gerol Kal will be the team’s captain.

Tequilo is the second team South Newlandia will meet, and they seem strong as well. Although not as experienced as Havynwilde, they still bring some powerful players. The most notable one might be Mateo Tafella, the team’s captain.

After the break days, we will face Twicetagria, another power in the group. Lesley Chase might be interesting to see, and they surely got the self-confidence to win the group.

Our fourth opponent is Kohnhead, also quite dangerous. Team captain Aaron Korkson is not the only strong player they have, as they bring a young and talented squad as well.

Next is Revatnagar. They have not announced their squad yet, so there is little to be said, but that usually doesn’t exactly go well for most teams.

Our last opponent will be Baggieland. The international heavyweight is also one to watch, although sports were never their main focus. Especially their Captain Robson will be difficult to beat.

In conclusion, South Newlandia has quite a bit of work to do. Finishing top four of this group will be no easy task, and it remains to be seen if the players are up to the challenge. Fortunately, we were able to conduct a video call with South Newlandias captain Mikhail Trischuk.

Our reporter: Good evening Mr. Trischuk, I am glad to be able to talk to you. As the Baptism of Fire will start very soon, what are your expectations for the tournament?
Mikhail Trischuk: The BoF is a tournament for newcomers, and with a system like the one we have, and the tournament size, I think it’s close to random in the end. As for our team, Group G seems like one of the hardest groups there is. We start with Havynwilde already, and I guess I’m getting a lot of work to do.
OR: You are already in Delaclava at the moment. What do you think of the country?
MT: I like it. Salem is great, too. I also like the DENFO Stadium; it’s something you can get used to the tournament with. I wouldn’t have liked to start in a 50000-people stadium. Delaclava, I like the location. The people seem to be crazy about soccer here, too.
OR: Who will be the most interesting players of the South Newlandian squad for us to watch?
MT: I don’t like to favour one of my team colleagues over the other, but you have to admit that Corban [Corban Green, 18, LM] is doing great for his age. He already plays like an experienced oldie, but he lost none of the spirit of young players. I hope he can deal with the pressure.
OR: Thank you for this interview, and good luck in Delaclava!
MT: Thank you.

The Grearish Union
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Grearish Union » Sun May 03, 2020 3:51 pm

Lt. Col. Adams: The Pursuit of the Past

EP 1: Eagle Hill
Where do we all belong?

The 15th Highlander Brigade was still working its way to the top of Eagle Hill as the sun was setting beyond the horizon. The Grearish Armed forces are said to boast of a huge number of troops, but the actual figure remains closely guarded. 700 of these valiant warriors were now led onto the top of Eagle hill under Lieutenant Colonel Joseph C. Adam to consolidate the Army's stronghold over the regions, and to help the supporting 23rd Medium Artillery to gain correct co-ordinates to ensue pin-point shelling across the border - if and when the time comes.

While the battalion was treading up the treacherous terrain in the muddy, soggy weather due to the high atmospheric moisture content, the Plibury Sappers weren’t too thrilled with the conditions. The very thought of reaching the top and creating bunkers in an unexplained sense of urgency seemed somewhat odd to the engineers, especially when there was no threat of enemy advancements. Nevertheless, they trudged up the hill under challenging conditions, carrying heavy hardware behind them. There were no established roadways yet, but a simple trekking path that didn’t seem to like the fact that 700+ personnel were marching on it.

This is where the tale story takes an unexpected turn. Trekking was known to be quite popular in this region of Grearia, with trekkers coming over from all over the world during springtime for the beautiful lush green hills near Eagle Hill and the mountains and glaciers that lay just beyond, seemingly on barely out of reach. The incident that stirred people’s minds was that of a Donnaconan trekker, named Mickaël Leblanc-Plante, who came to trek up Eagle hill last summer. Mickaël is said to have climbed up many tough mountains in the past owing to his track record of being an avid mountaineer. However, Eagle Hill seemed to be the death of him, and nobody ever really knew why – until his mortal remains were sent back to Donnacona and found out that it was a needle that hit him, but he never bled profusely enough to warrant death. The Army personnel, however, seemed pretty sure that it was poison-tipped, and was a deadly way of killing a man – and they feared it was the work of enemy commandos operating behind Grearian lines. One couldn't afford to be in the top brass of the Grearish military and turn a blind eye to an issue as grave as this, that too, considering the fact that letting it brew while letting it being ignored will only lead to a drop in morale of the servicemen. "Low morale in the battlefield, is a top-class reason for heavy defeat," started the Lt. Col., "even if you are at the gates of victory." At this point some soldiers would nod their heads, mostly not knowing what the Colonel meant, being unexposed to war.

Things still didn't seem to make much sense to the lower ranks, though as they still couldn't make any sense of the operation. It dipped their morale further, except that they didn't realise what morale really is. "It is justified!”, one could hear Adams almost shouting on a few occasions, when one of his soldiers asked him why this stupid plan was necessary to execute. It wasn’t like the Lt. Col. completely knew what he was doing, but it’s an officer-led Army, and the officer had to justify it for his 15th Highlanders and all the service personnel in it. The visibility deteriorated a bit further as they reached closer to the top of the mysterious hill. The troops decided to stick to tightly-knit groups to avoid the full effect of the chilly crosswinds that plagued that very area. It seemed opportune for LCpl. Griffiths to ask his mate in Pvt. Jennings if she was wondering how Grearia would do in the Baptism of Fire cup in Delaclava.

“I mean, I hope we do well, really – given we have no experience in the game. Our group seems to be alright as well. No reason to think we’ll do badly, you feel me?” Jennings surely invested a lot of time into the game herself, even though the players who are being dubbed as national heroes today weren’t known to the public even as late as a week or so ago. The critics still said that at least it was the correct foot forward, and truly speaking, you couldn’t really disagree.

“I wonder what took us so long to get here. Shouldn’t we already have been playing some? Why is this our first World Cup, and why are we playing Baptism-” the Lance Corporal fell to the ground in a heap, and a stunned Jennings stood immobile for a second before bending down to check if he was still breathing. No pulse, no breath, Griffiths was gone. Pvt. Jennings had her military training start kicking itself in, as she started to look for any would on the body, when she found a pin that was stuck in his army jumper – almost invisible. Stuck with it, was a chit folded into the tiniest folds possible.

The Private, however, was wary of the way Leblanc-Plante died last year, and it wasn’t too difficult to add the twos to make four. At this point, she realised, she was deaf to all the ruckus that was going on around her. The company had halted, and the Commanding Officer Adams stood towering over her. She showed him Griffiths’ wound, and retrieved the paper for her commander. It didn't require a lot of effort to unfold the paper, however. A steady handwriting crawled across the surface of the page, and seemed to be rather sophisticated for someone living out in the woods.

It read:
I don’t want to kill you, children, but if you persist on trying to erase the past, I shall have to continue. All I need you to know is that you are the future of a great forgotten land, which was one of the greatest in the multiverse. With time, you shall find. This is Gloriax.

Gloriax? That was a first time that they had heard that name. It was startling, to say the least.

"Could this be some sort of separatist movement? Anarchists, perhaps?" The Lieutenant Colonel was flooded with questions in his own mind. His superiors needed to know this, for he was essentially leading his troops into battle with an enemy who clearly had better knowledge of the area, and who, most importantly, could not be seen. However, why should anybody believe something as bizarre as this? There seemed to be no solid reasoning behind why a person should kill for a country that only seemingly existed in his wildest imaginations. Nothing made sense, and he had to reach his superiors nevertheless.

Adams could sense the morale dropping around him as the shoulders slouched and restless fear crept into his troops for a split second. It is then when is subconscious suddenly took over, and sprung into action and led him to shout out the the initiator for the chanting the regiment motto, while he looked into the cloudy abyss of the undulations that surrounded Eagle Hill on all four sides. It was beautiful. Beautifully deadly.

"15th Highlanders?!"
"Valiant and Brave!"
Last edited by The Grearish Union on Sun May 03, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC Name: Grearia, The Grearish Union
Area: 655,436 km2 | Population: 88,636,071 | Pop. Density: 135.23 per km2
Champion: GCF World Test Challenge 12 | Host: GCF T20WC 12, R7WC 6, NSTT Salvador Hills Open
A proud member of Esportiva!
This user was behind the erstwhile Gloriax.

Delaclava
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 30, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Delaclava » Sun May 03, 2020 4:06 pm

Fifty-six teams kick off this Baptism of Fire. Fifty-six nations begin their hunt for football glory and hardware. We will see fantastic displays of skill, teamwork fueled by national pride, strokes of luck, monumental thrills, agonizing lows, and championship moments, all connected by love of the beautiful game. Fifty-six legacies start now.

Matchday 1 cutoff for Groups G and H!

Group G
South Newlandia 2–1 Havynwilde
Twicetagria 3–3 Baggieland
Kohnhead 3–1 Revatnagar

Group G                            Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Kohnhead 1 1 0 0 3 1 +2 3
2 South Newlandia 1 1 0 0 2 1 +1 3
3 Baggieland 1 0 1 0 3 3 0 1
Twicetagria 1 0 1 0 3 3 0 1
5 Havynwilde 1 0 0 1 1 2 −1 0
6 Revatnagar 1 0 0 1 1 3 −2 0

Group H
The Veiled Islands 4–1 Ottoman Syldavia
Audiasania 1–0 Independent Athletes from Quebec
Alba and Cymru 2–1 Qvardax

Group H                            Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 The Veiled Islands 1 1 0 0 4 1 +3 3
2 Alba and Cymru 1 1 0 0 2 1 +1 3
3 Audiasania 1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3
4 Qvardax 1 0 0 1 1 2 −1 0
5 Independent Athletes from Quebec 1 0 0 1 0 1 −1 0
6 Ottoman Syldavia 1 0 0 1 1 4 −3 0
Last edited by Delaclava on Sun May 03, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sports Honor Roll
Football: 2x WORLD BOWL CHAMPIONS (13 & 15), 1x Runner-up (11), 4x Third Place (41-44), 1x Regional Champions
Hockey: World Cup 16 Third Place, 2x World Juniors Champion (18 & 22), 3x World Junior Runners-up (16, 17, 19), 1x Regional Silver
Basketball: 2x IBC Runners-up (31 and 36), 4x Regional Medal (1 Silver, 3 Bronze)
Lacrosse: 2x Worlds Runners-up (16 and 41) 1x Regional Silver
Soccer: Olympic Gold (V), 3rd at IAC 18 3rd at Di Bradini Cup 15, 4th at Baptism of Fire 34
Host of WC 55; CoH 44, 46, 84, and 87; BoF 72; World Bowl 11, 15, 39, and 43; IBC 7 and 31; AOCAF 31; WJHC 16 and 18; etc. Founder of Scott Cup and World Team Tennis Championship.

Ethane
Minister

Founded: Sep 26, 2015

Postby Ethane » Sun May 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Welcome to Ethane. You'll probably be arriving in New Sarum - one of two main entry points into the country, and the closest to all of the Baptism of Fire locations. You'll enjoy the sites that the city has to offer, from historical monuments, to museums, and a wide array of restaurants. All connected together with our innovative public transport network. So don't fret, sit back and enjoy the tournament in luxury.

Match day one cutoff for groups D, E and F.

Group D
The Mann Clan 1–1 Xuzaqiy
Lo Santano 1–1 Necosia
Great Lausitz 3–4 Drunk People at the Local Tavern

Group D                                      Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Drunk People at the Local Tavern 1 1 0 0 4 3 +1 3
2 Lo Santano 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1
Necosia 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1
The Mann Clan 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1
Xuzaqiy 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1
6 Great Lausitz 1 0 0 1 3 4 −1 0

Group E
Mavinet 3–3 Lake Esper
Shokpos 0–0 The Appraisal To The Allmighty MR TAYTO
Donnacona 3–2 When U Die

Group E                                      Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Donnacona 1 1 0 0 3 2 +1 3
2 Lake Esper 1 0 1 0 3 3 0 1
Mavinet 1 0 1 0 3 3 0 1
4 Shokpos 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
The Appraisal To The Allmighty MR TAYTO 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
6 When U Die 1 0 0 1 2 3 −1 0

Group F
Riena 3–0 Simpralia
Monglechabagd 2–1 Caelapes
Soracana Islands 2–0 Jerauuk

Group F                                      Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Riena 1 1 0 0 3 0 +3 3
2 Soracana Islands 1 1 0 0 2 0 +2 3
3 Monglechabagd 1 1 0 0 2 1 +1 3
4 Caelapes 1 0 0 1 1 2 −1 0
5 Jerauuk 1 0 0 1 0 2 −2 0
6 Simpralia 1 0 0 1 0 3 −3 0
Last edited by Ethane on Sun May 03, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Esportivan and Proud.
<drawk> If the entirety of the nation of Ethane was covered in a single cubic foot of Ethane on its surface, lighting it all on fire would cause a 5.44 megaton blast.
Best WorldVision Finish: 2nd. Best World Cup Finish: Quarter-Finals. Best KPB Rank: 8th. Best WBC Finish: 1st.

Appalachian Nation
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Appalachian Nation » Sun May 03, 2020 4:58 pm

It's cutoff time for those involved in the group A through C of the baptism of Fire.

Music choice - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQeyhQAglmE

Group A
Adyatin 1–0 Floyssau - Knoxville Global Stadium - Knoxville
Sylestone 0–0 Pangurastan - Ohio Valley State Fairgrounds Stadium - Louisville
Jamestownnnn 0–0 Res Publica Nova - Randall Cobb Memorial Stadium - Lexington

Group A                     Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Adyatin 1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3
2 Jamestownnnn 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
Pangurastan 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
Res Publica Nova 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
Sylestone 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
6 Floyssau 1 0 0 1 0 1 −1 0

Group B
Bushkrub 2–0 Balaslandia - Bank of Carolina Stadium - Charlotte
EGM 3–2 Khazajamal - Charleston Indoor Arena - Charleston
Sanctanus 5–4 Porticalia - Coastal Waters Stadium - Erie

Group B                     Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Bushkrub 1 1 0 0 2 0 +2 3
2 Sanctanus 1 1 0 0 5 4 +1 3
3 EGM 1 1 0 0 3 2 +1 3
4 Porticalia 1 0 0 1 4 5 −1 0
5 Khazajamal 1 0 0 1 2 3 −1 0
6 Balaslandia 1 0 0 1 0 2 −2 0

Group C
South Charlia 2–3 Valentine Z - Fuller Family Stadium - Blacksburg
Maccian 0–1 Zeta Reka and Hugeltadom - KiHi Stadium - Greenville
Daskel 2–2 Kuriko - Bland Foods Stadium - Pittsburgh

Group C                     Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Valentine Z 1 1 0 0 3 2 +1 3
2 Zeta Reka and Hugeltadom 1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3
3 Daskel 1 0 1 0 2 2 0 1
Kuriko 1 0 1 0 2 2 0 1
5 South Charlia 1 0 0 1 2 3 −1 0
6 Maccian 1 0 0 1 0 1 −1 0
Last edited by Appalachian Nation on Sun May 03, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Simpralia
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Group F Matchday 1: Simpralia vs Riena

Postby Simpralia » Sun May 03, 2020 6:03 pm

Score: 3-0 (to Riennic Isles)

Venue: Marianne Detreux Stadium

Attendance: 37,327

Significant events in the match:

7' - After a tiki-taka passing play, Alaana has the ball in the edge of the box. She fires a thunderbolt but tipped over the crossbar by Minato.

16' - Ishibashi sends in a short through ball to Steiner who is now in a 1 on 1 with Pokimane. Steiner dribbles past Pokimane and cooly taps the ball into the net. Simpralia's defense is left in the dust. 1-0 to Riena.

31' Mai has to be careful here to not make a false move as Suenaga is trying to get past her. Mai ends up sticking her foot out and OOOOOOOHHHHH that's a penalty given from the ref. The ball is on the penalty spot and Nakiri is the one to take. She sends Pokimane the wrong way as the ball rolls to the bottom left corner. 2-0 to Reina.

45' + 2 - Halftime whistle is blown.

51' - Valkryrae is making a bursting run down the left flank. She crosses the ball into the box. Bobby Tarantino is the one who connects who tries a volley but is a goal-line clearance from Amemiya.

67' - Tsukamoto brought on for Sakuranami. Riena's 1st substitution.

73' - It's a corner here for Riena as Uruha whips it into the box. Tsukamoto is in an aerial battle with Blain to win the ball. Tsukamoto comes out on top heading the ball into the top left corner. 3-0 to Riena

77' - Orten brought on for Amourath. Simpralia's 1st substitution.

80' - Hayden makes a solo run into the final 3rd, outrunning 3 Reina defenders, but can he finish. Tries to go for a chip but ultimately grabbed by Minato.

82' - Durnil subbed on for Blain. Simpralia's 2nd substitution.

85' - Kanzaki receives the ball in the final 3rd. She turns around to get a shot in but what a fabulous diving effort from Pokimane to keep it 3-0.

89' - Pokimane punts the ball as a last ditch effort. Tarantino gets the ball and tries to pass it to Skefanny but is intercepted by Sakuranami.

90 + 3 - The final whistle blows. Riena 3 - Simpralia 0

Man/Woman of the Match: Aya Nakiri

Possession: 87/13 (for Riena)

Pass completion rate: 82/18 (for Riena)

--------------------------------

Post match interviews:

Reporter: So how do you feel about your team's loss today?

OGS (assistant manager) - Well, they just had possession dominance, not letting us even get a chance.

Reporter - How would you combat this issue if it were to arise next game?

OGS - Well that's a tactical secret isn't it? (reporters chuckle)

------------------------------

Reporter: How do you feel about your team on the field today

Alaana (captain of Simpralia): Well, we tried, but evidently not hard enough.

Reporter: What will you do know, after now having a -3 GD and being last in the group.

Alaana - Well, we certainly weren't expecting this big of a defeat, but that just means we have to practice harder.

-----------------------------------------------

Simpralia analysis for their next match:

After a crushing defeat to Riena, Simpralia will have to try even harder in their next game vs Monglechabagd. Riena dominated the entire game, especially in possesion, not leaving any cracks for Simpralia to exploit. This will be a big lesson for the Simpralian National Team that they will have to learn. That lesson is to never underestimate your opponent. The next game is a must-win for Simpralia to please their fans and to get back in the race for the knockout rounds.
Last edited by Simpralia on Mon May 04, 2020 5:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Donnacona
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Donnacona » Sun May 03, 2020 6:16 pm

Bienvenue chez Ti-Pomme!

Since the Baptism of Fire features our national team facing off with something called The Appraisal To The Allmighty MR TAYTO, the FDF did some research into this nation and learned about Mr. Tayto, who endorses a brand of potato chip (they call them crisps? They must be from Ancharmunn or something.) and is an anthropomorphic potato wearing a snazzy suit that looks like this:
What are you, the friggin' landed gentry? You're a goddamn potato, you're good for frites and not much else, buddy.

Well, we just can't let that go. Donnacona is famously obsessed with apples, and whilst in Cotdelapomais joual potatoes are usually referred to as "patates", they are "pommes de terre" if you're talking to an educated person from Reçueçn or Omerica or one of those countries whose dialect of our language is more "sophisticated". Thus, we have a classic Greatest Apples On Earth vs. pathetic apples of the earth matchup, and we KNOW who wins that, hein?

Thus, it was essential we create our own mascot- so meet Ti-Pomme! Ti-Pomme is dressed in a snazzy blue buffalo plaid shirt, a toque and Infinite soccer pants, a nod to our national team's sponsor. He's a real working class hero, who enjoys looking out for his friends and family, watching football and hockey, and loving Donnacona. You're at the bar with him, you're a little short this week, he'll get this round, no problem. You need your bike tuned up? No problem, you can borrow his tools. He's got access to a cabin near Frontenac for the week in Nivôse and you're definitely invited over, just bring some beers and maybe pick up some breads and the good brie. Basically, he's your best friend, which is what Donnacona is all about.

Mr. Tayto wants to be referred to by a title, because he thinks he's better than you, but Ti-Pomme is a comrade and he's just like you. Mr. Tayto wears a tie and an overcoat and is a stuffy man who has definitely never ridden a motoneige or gotten two pitchers of Poulin and an all-dressed pizza at 3 am after a night at some grungy dive bar. Mr. Tayto has definitely derisively talked about "kids these days" to a Mrs. Tayto (and you KNOW it's a Mrs. Tayto thank you very much). Ti-Pomme is down for whatever, always has a light, and respects the kids even though he's getting a little older.

Ti-Pomme is in Ethane cheering on Les Bernaches/Les Pommes in the Baptism of Fire, and he's not confident we'll be winning the whole tournament- there's some great teams in Tequilo and Havynwilde and Valentine Z and Adyatin and the like. A good showing and some good spirit and some good fan support is all we can hope for, and that's all we should ask for, because Ti-Pomme is not interested in having too much success, because that goes to your head and Ti-Pomme is not about that. (Ti-Pomme is cool with winning constantly in hockey because hockey is a religion, not a sport.)

#AllezLesPommes
Last edited by Donnacona on Sun May 03, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Né pour un p'tit pain, mort pour un croissant

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun May 03, 2020 6:29 pm

The Daily Boing

Twicetagria 3 – 3 Baggieland FT (1 – 3 HT)

Jayji Stadium, Crystal Lake, Delaclava.

Baggieland tossed away a 3 – 0 lead in their opening game of the Baptism of Fire, as Twicetagria claimed an unlikely point through a late equaliser. Baggieland kicked off their tournament at the second smallest of the host venues – they had sold all of their allocated tickets and a passionate following of around 10,000 Baggies were packed inside the Jayji Stadium.

Baggieland drew 3 – 3 despite leading 0 – 3 inside 31 minutes through Ronnie Regis, Ray Brunt and Jeff Richardson. Twicetagria made it 1 – 3 just before half-time and a second goal mid-way through the second-half set up a tense finish. The Baggies looked set to hold firm but Twicetagria struck late in the game to punish Baggieland for a ragged second-half display.

Baggieland made a dream start when they went ahead with just 27 seconds on the clock. Laurie Bassett drifted down the right and his cross was palmed away by their goalkeeper into the path of Ronnie Regis, who produced a sweet finish from around 15 yards. And it was 0 – 2 in the fourth minute courtesy of more dreadful Twicetagria defending and another fine Baggieland finish. A cross from Derek Pennington was flicked on by Jeff Richardson and Ray Brunt arrived beyond the far post to send a crisp half-volley into the net. But Twicetagria had chances of their own with two missed excellent chances in the first-half. On 25 minutes Baggieland could have added to their lead when a neat move ended with Laurie Bassett bearing down on goal, but his shot from a tight angle was palmed over by their goalkeeper with his team-mates screaming for a cross instead. It was 0 – 3 on 31 minutes as the pattern continued with more dubious defending and another smart finish. A misjudged high ball from Jonas McAuley sent Jeff Richardson racing clear and he curled a low finish past the advancing keeper. But just before half-time Twicetagria reduced the arrears to make it 1 – 3 at the interval. Mid-way through the second-half, Twicetagria pulled to within one goal as they struck again. In the dying moments of the game, Baggielandian hearts were broken when Twicetagria scored their third goal. In the last few minutes both sides had half-chances to win the game, but it wasn’t to be for either side.

Fred Buckingham will be pleased with his team’s attacking prowess, however, the defensive mistakes will be of concern and must be addressed if Baggieland are to make it to the knock-out stages.

Baggieland stats:

Scorers:
Ronnie Regis (1’).
Ray Brunt (4’).
Jeff Richardson (31’).

Possession: 52%.
Corners: 7.
Last edited by Baggieland on Mon May 04, 2020 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kohnhead
Diplomat

Founded: May 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kohnhead » Sun May 03, 2020 7:01 pm

Kohnhead starts out BOF with Big Win

In their first match of the BOF, Kohnhead was pitted against Revatnagar. As this is a new team tournament Kohnhead was not at a severe disadvantage due to not having much(if any) experience playing in World Cups. They played to a draw in a pre-tournament friendly against Riena so we were unsure over how Kohnhead would perform in this tournament. I can't say all questions were answered but Kohnhead played well enough to show they have a chance to do well.

The match started out slow with no real chances for either sides for the first 25 minutes. The weather was windy and a bit drizzly so the conditions were not the best plus it was cold outside. The first chance for either side came in the 28th minute when some miscommunication between Dylan Vargas and Claire Corton left a Revatnagar player onside with a one on one with Newcastle. The player hit the ball off the woodwork before Newcastle dove on it to keep the score tied at 0.

Revatnagar started to dominate and at one point controlled possession 75-25. Korkson and Maltos were having horrid games for Kohnhead and it did not look good. After multiple missed opportunities, unlucky breaks, and good shots Revatnagar finally put one in the back of the net in the 37th as Nicholas Radison was charged with a foul just outside the box and Revatnagar made a free kick to give them a 1-0 lead. They also had another chance to score in the 43rd as a bad pass from Vargas was intercepted on the right flank and it was crossed into the box but the header was just a bit off the mark.

Kohnhead would go into halftime down 1-0 although it should have been. Coach Christopher Kohnhead was seen and heard yelling at the players to play smarter and better. Kohnhead would make some tactical adjustments at the half sending out Dylan Vargas who had been playing awful and he put in Miranda Atkinson instead. Atkinson is a young 18 year old and is big in Kohnhead's plans for the future.

In the second half they looked like a different team as Rallyton, Cogginter, and Richman all got good shots off but some near misses and a great diving save by the keeper would keep the clean sheet for Revatnagar. Kohnhead finally got their chance in the 54th as Laker stole the ball near midfield and booted it up to Maltos who calmly megged a defender and scored Kohnhead's first goal of the BOF. Kohnhead celebrated and they knew they had the momentum.

In the 66th Rallyton got into the books for a dangerous slide tackle and was lucky not to get a straight red card. In the 71st Griffin Pheonix-Anderson was subbed on for Harry Richman, as Richman was looking tired and he looked pretty out of shape. Richman has trouble finishing games. Pheonix-Anderson made a quick impact by in the 73rd sending a cross into the box. Cogginter put up a header but the keeper saved it. Luckily Korkson was there to score his first goal off of a rebound and to give Kohnhead the 2-1 lead. Fans started to loudly celebrate at this and Kohnhead just needed to hold on.

Revatnagar got one final big chance in the 83rd where they won a corner and put up a header but a great save from Newcastle tipped the ball over the bar and back to safety and the second corner was headed away by Prius-Leonard. Maltos would get a brace in the 89th with a goal that would clinch the win for Kohnhead. Erin Maltos is looking like she could be this team's MVP early on and great games from Korkson and Newcastle helped too. Here are the ratings for everyone who played.

Erin Maltos 9.8/10
Aaron Korkson 9.3/10
Jackson Newcastle 8.7/10
Griffin Pheonix-Anderson 8.2/10 (Subbed on)
Charles Laker 7.9/10
Ida Cogginter 7.4/10
Caroline Prius-Leonard 7.1/10
Miranda Atkinson 7.0/10 (Subbed on)
Linus Rallyton 6.5/10
Nicholas Radison 6.2/10
Harry Richman 5.9/10 (Subbed off)
Claire Corton 5.7/10
Dylan Vargas 4.2/10 (Subbed off)

Kohnhead jumps to the top of the group G standings with three points for this win, of the other two matches one was a one goal win and the other was a draw. So Kohnhead is tied at the top in terms of points but leads by one on goal differential. In their next game two days from now Kohnhead will play Baggieland who sits tied for third having received a draw in their first match.

-Lillian Barter KNN
Kohnhead
Trigramme: KHD
Pop: 25 million
Football: 64th
Gridiron: 24th
Baseball: 15th
Basketball: 2nd
Volleyball: 2nd
Football:
Wonder Cup 2 - Champions
Di Bradini Cup 48 / U21WC 69 - 4th place

Tennis:
6 Ethanian Open - Winner (Doubles)
7 Steinigestrasse Open - Winner (Doubles)
7 Britonish Open - Winner (Doubles)

Gridiron:
NSCF 22 - Semifinals (Kohnhead City University)
NSCF 24 - Semifinals (Kohnhead City University)

Basketball:
Gold Coast Basketball Tournament - 2nd place

Baseball:
International Baseball Series 12 - 4th place

Volleyball:
Volleyball World Expo 11 - 3rd place
Volleyball World Expo 12 - 4th place

Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2019

Postby Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom » Sun May 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Zeta Reka & Hügeltaldom Federativna Republika Zeta Reka i Hügeltaldom
Baptism of Fire 72 Recap Match One Recap and Match Two Preview

The Rekans defeated their first rival in the Baptism of Fire by a one goal score. The national team sat back against their opposition Maccian (not Maccain) and scored on the thirtieth minute thanks to a long kick from Captain Rybki. The assist was credited to a Hokwok back pass. Otherwise the national team was conservative in their approach, seeming to toy with their opposition. Some claim the players were harsh against their younger counterparts. These accusations are condemned by the Zeta Reka Ministry for Culture & Sport. The game was fair, though a few cards were handed out.

There was an unexpected development before the match. Regular starter Mullow Droboslawić was replaced for Stani Gröss. Claims have been made that the regular defensive midfielder experienced jet lag and had to be sat out for the first match. Stani Gröss is usually less attacking that his senior team mate, and the young man spent most of the match covering Missi Sorrentingerclausen, Maccian's captain. Gröss and the compact Rekan defensive block stifled creativity while tournament experience gave them an edge in this match.

For the Rekan's next contest they will be facing off against Daskel, who have not been well scouted by experts beyond their 2-2 draw against Kuriko at the Bland Foods Stadium. Analysts of both the armchair and professional varieties have been split on what the best plan is for Zeta Reka. Some have suggested the club be careful against a team with a more productive attack, while others believe firm play and using experiences gained from regional games will stave off free wheeling sides. One weapon that this writer believes will come in handy is set piece play. Jad is the best corner man in the country, and almost tripled Zeta Reka's score against Maccian with two smooth in-swingers.

Maccian 0–1 Zeta Reka and Hugeltadom
GK: Bosko Nowak
LB: Janko Yakowić: v77'
CB: Stanko Yakowić
CB: Bartolomej Wladmirowić
RB: Imilo Dakić: 53'
LW: Jad
RW: Miloš Simeoniwić: 26'
DM: Stani Gröss: 72'
CM: Rybki (c): Image 30', v60'
CM: Želmir Kolarowić
ST: Stajkwon Hokwok
Subs
CM: David Dix ^60'
LB: Wladmir Zuzkoff: ^77'

Goals: 1
Possession: 48%
Shots: 4
On goal: 2
Saves: 7
Fouls: 17
Corners: 3
Offsides: 1
Yellow Cards: 3
Red Cards: 0
Last edited by Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom on Sun May 03, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soracana Islands
Envoy

Founded: Oct 29, 2018

Postby Soracana Islands » Sun May 03, 2020 8:07 pm

Debut at Baptism of Fire

Ethane - After closing a success story in the regional competition where Soracana Islands become the host of the 4th CMFA Melayu Archipelago Cup and become a runner up for the second consecutive time, now it is time for the country football team focusing on their first international competition, Baptism of Fire. The competition is the forerunner before the beginning of World Cup competition which will be held afterwards. In this edition of Baptism of Fire, three nations are selected to become the host, Delaclava, Ethane and Appalachian Nation. With 56 nations participating, Soracana Islands was drawn into Group F together with Sankt Konrad, Riena, Monglechabagd, Jerauuk, Caelapes and Simpralia. And the team will be playing their group matches in Ethane.

On the first match, Soracana Islands is meeting Jerauuk. The team didn't have high expectation during the match and play losely. But their playing attitude make them easier to control the match. Jerauuk players seems to be overwhelmed with their playing. Soracana control the ball possession during the first match and makes several attempts towards Jerauuk's goal but unfortunately the finishing touch are still not good. Entering the second half, Soracanian players seems to be more focus while Jerauuk's players upgrade their defense in fear of losing to the attacks bombardment from Soracana. Although Jerauuk seems to be able to tackles all the attacks made by Soracanian players but eventually their defense broke. In the minute 76, Sadakarsi made a great assist to the unguarded Janabandar which fruited into a goal. 1-0 Soracana leading. With only 1 goal lead, Soracanian didn't lowering their attacks. Jerauuk are in a deep pressure with constant attack from Soracana. But they still have some opportunities to counter-attack to Soracanian goal although their attempts are able to dismissed. The second goal for Soracana came in 88's minute when there is a frantic situation in front of Jerauuk goal. Gadakmara able to oversee the situation and make a goal for his own. 2-0 Soracana lead.

With the result of 2-0 win against Jerauuk, Soracana Islands is currently seating in the second place of Group F. They only losing goal difference from the first place, Riena. In the second match, Soracana Islands will be meet Caelapes which in their first match were losing to Monglechabagd by 1-2.
The Kingdom of Soracana Islands

Capital Aksamara | Demonym Soracanian
IC Population ~ 3 millions

Puppet of Pemecutan

Alba and Cymru
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

(1-0) Alba and Cymru 2 - 1 Qvardax (0-1)

Postby Alba and Cymru » Sun May 03, 2020 8:57 pm

The Celtic football team from the United Kingdom of Alba and Cymru took on the Vardians of the Principality of Qvardax today in Delaclava and produced a satisfying 2-1 win early in the Baptism of Fire qualifying rounds. What seemed like a very slow and defensive game in the first half turned into a frenzy of offensive plays at the 50' mark. Micnaesa Okloen of Qvardax was the first to score on a beautiful kick deep from the right corner. The Celts answered 60 seconds later with a barrage of quick passes between their two strikers, eventually finding a hole in the Vardians' defense via Not Lionel Messi. With the game tied at 70', Qvardax had an opportunity to score from a penalty kick by Umana Ydesi, but a brilliant dive by the Bastion of Bavaria, Johannes Werner, locked down the Celtic goal and boosted the morale of his fellow teammates in the late game. A series of possessions endured in the final minutes of the game, but just three minutes before the end of regulation, substitute Suemas Colquhoun of Alba and Cymru scored a miraculous goal from the midfield line on a sleeping Vardian defense. The Celts would hold out the last three minutes defending a multitude of desperate shots from Qvardax to secure Alba and Cymru's first victory in the Baptism of Fire.

"They had us in the first half, I'm not gonna lie," said Celtic team captain Conchúr MacGregor. "I think we played great defensively. Coach MacDunn really pushed that philosophy throughout the year. I'm proud of my team and my scorers Not Lionel and Seumas, and I hope that our skill plays out tomorrow. I wish the best of luck to Qvardax and I wish to see them again in the brackets."

"It is what it is," responded opposing captain Vao Qvardin. "We have a lot to work on, and I think that this loss is an opportunity for the team to regroup and focus on what we can improve upon. I thought we played well initially, but our stamina slowly got away from us in the later game. I think if we keep our motivation up, we can absolutely make it to the brackets. It's gonna have to take a lot of perseverance. I would like to say thank you to Alba and Cymru for putting on a great game and I wish you guys good look."

"It's a good win, but it could have been much better," said Coinneach MacDunn, team manager of the Celtic football program. "I think we played too slow. Defense did what it needed to do, but our guys up front have to be a little quicker. we should have had two goals at half-time, not full-time. It's their first game, I know, and they're still formulating the chemistry needed to cohesively dominate, but that will get better with each game. Tomorrow we're taking on Quebec, and though not much is known about their team, I feel like our men will be ready to play."

Team stats for Qvardax (0-1):
Group rank: 4th
Shots: 8
Goals: 1 (Micnaesa Okloen, 50:49)
Possession: 43:21
Saves: 4
Fouls: 12
Yellow: 1 (Tokjar Hyvir)
Red: 0
No notable injuries

Team stats for Alba and Cymru (1-0):
Group Rank: 2nd
Shots: 6
Goals: 2 (Not Lionel Messi, 51:52; Seumas Colquhoun, 86:48)
Possession: 46:39
Saves: 7
Fouls: 14
Yellow: 2 (Conchúr MacGregor, Francesco Persico)
Red: 0
No notable injuries

Alba and Cymru will be back tomorrow to face off against the Independent Athletes from Quebec (0-1), while Qvardax return Tuesday to also take on the Athletes from Quebec. Best wishes to both teams.
Last edited by Alba and Cymru on Sun May 03, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here is the World Cup Roster.
"Alba ag Cymru fada be'"
Support His Majesty, King Cynbal IV of the House of Clan Gregor
Death to Communism. Death to Capitalism. Feudalism is where men are made.
I'm your friendly, every-day hard right-winger who respects everyone's views and concerns. I believe that cultural groups should have absolute political autonomy independent from secular or multicultural states. Traditions are unique evolutionary adaptations created by civilizations in order to solve complex social issues.

Havynwilde
Envoy

Founded: Dec 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Havynwilde Attaché Posts: 78 Founded: Dec 21, 2019 Scandi

Postby Havynwilde » Sun May 03, 2020 9:44 pm

Hub for all information on sports related to Havynwilde with other contributing information

EDITOR'S NOTE
I want to thank you for opening the latest edition of The Assoicated, for years we've found pride in providing you, the viewer with the most in-depth analysis of sports in Havynwilde, ranging from Lygahaven play and also into other amateur sports that shine bright in our small nation. The time has come to bring The Assocciated to the world, of course that means Havynsmen and women and the Havyish sporting culture are brought to the world, its our pleasure to unveil to our viewers our new website, www.theassociated.hyn, featuring articles, visuals and videos on the latest and greatest of sports here in Havynwilde. Thank you for giving us the chance to serve you,
Kitchie Simmons
Editor-in-Chief

PAGE 31 :: Can Larry Bryson Save Union Forge?

Reinventing the wheel: Larry Bryson is betting big on Union Forge

Union Forge announced today their official signing of their new manager - sneaking away and grabbing Larry Bryson, the Baker Park manager for Monmouth Park, signing him to a monumental five season contract, the club announced. Union Forge has of course struggled the past two seasons, turning to as many as four coaches within a short span to attempt to right the sinking ship.

They seem to have laid their eggs in a new basket, says commentator, Iroh Valentine, “they’re hoping Bryson’s the man to deliver them from the sunken place, they’re mistaken.”

For the Havyish team , this is a good signing, Bryson had made it a policy of establishing a winning culture domestically, within the Baker Park side, he was a major coaching fixture in the National League with Monmouth, The Baker Parker league has come to know of his curiosity and leadership, he was a major part of the early years of the league, before a falling out and some struggles lead to his sacking and departure from the National League.

As all good things come to an end, it's clear Bryson is looking to redevelop his career in a new nation, and the new pastures are in Havynwilde; at least, he’s made that clear towards the media. He’s pushed to make it clear that he views his arrival as a chance at ‘writing a new chapter,’ detailing his goals and how he sees Union Forge coming once more.

“This is an opportunity to reinvent the wheel, do something great, why not?,” Bryson told the press, “I sat down with Oliver [Krune] and Derry [Winters], we really discussed the changes I wanted to bring to this club, the new sense of direction I want to bring to Ravenclyff. This club is built on the foundations of this city, returning it to its greatness is my goal, I know the direction I’m trying to take this club. I’m positive, we can push for that.”

Union Forge has yet to appear in any games, but reportedly dazzled at early showing,behind closed doors, earning praise for his approach to tactics and planning, Union Forge really seem to have responded well to his mantra and what he’s bringing to the club.

“We’re happy with what Larry wants to do, he’s steering us in the right direction,” says the Hammers club director Derry Winters in the official release. “What he’s got in planning, it's something that’s long overdue, and we’ve been working to put every piece into place, and we can finally say it's coming together.”

Added Winters, “I feel like Union Forge has languished in the peripheral roles of Havynwilde’s domestic football, and that is a false narrative - we are a great team - we are the Hammers, Ravenclyff has never bowed. As the great founders said who built this city, we are a club that never falls, we are a city that never falls. For us, it’s time to show that.”

But, for the ears of many, all that is simply talk and rhetoric to get anguished Union Forge fans out into the stands, at least that’s the opinion of some supporters in Ravenclyff.

“Nothing has changed,” exclaimed a local supporter, “Nothing will change as long as Foreman owns us,” he says, referring to Foreman Industries, the large pharmaceutical company which bought Havynwilde’s second richest club for N$36 million in 748.

Ownership has seemingly been an issue for the Hammers for many years since Foreman's come to be in control: prior to the open era, Foreman Industries had used its money to sign all the best domestic players to the Hammers rosters to play for Union Forge, allowing the Hammers to dominate the league for a period of four years. However, with the ending of restriction and the end of the open era, teams like Advernians, Baywall and once more, the Shamrocks have been able to reach higher levels of profits with international exposure and usurped the Hammers at the top.

For the average Union Forge fan, they’ve seen things go from really, really high to very, very low, “it's been a journey that I still struggle to understand why I subscribe to,” says Juliette Pierre, a resident technical director of a elite talent academy.

“For some of us, it’s like - what's the point.,” exclamation Pierre, “we want to believe things will change but Foreman doesn’t want to pay for anything, they sell off assets and their content with barely staying above relegation.”

But things are quietly changing, namingly in the LygaHaven’s approach to competitiveness in the league - the LygaHaven has announced the “EliteSerien” in which the top five teams will “split” from the league structure after the twenty-fourth matchday to begin a 8 game split series which will be used to determine LygaHaven allocations for international competition, and of course the season title.

“LygaHaven is trying to give the Hammers a way in at this point,” joked some bantering Advernians fans on twii.tur, another, “what’s the point of giving shit teams a chance to win!”

But fans of Union Forge are wary o f this, some referring to it as a ‘desperate lifeline’ and a ‘ploy by the HFF to make us come to the stands.’

“Why are we desperate to be mediocre, we shouldn’t have to prove our merit to be appreciated, we’re one of the most-decorated clubs in Havyish history,” said a supporter.

But for many other fans, Union Forge supporters are living in the past, just ask a Pirates fan, say our experts: according to polls conducted by Radio Sunrise, 1/10 Havyish fooligbol supporters believe Union Forge deserves to be awarded for finishing in fifth place.

To be fair, Union Forge isn’t exactly terrible, there’s the likes of Foretham Coven, the Lions (Wildeport Wanderers) and Bellymn United, but for supporters of the once-great club, things aren’t looking too good for them right now.

“We just want to be respected again,” said another fan, “we want our glory back, and our pride’s been taken away.”

“The only way things can move forward is if Foreman Industries sell the team to people who care,”that’s the feeling amongst many supporters. And things have gotten worse, the 5th Section Forgers, Union Forge’s second biggest supporter club have announced plans to boycott all home games for the next season until the club is sold, numerous smaller organizations have also backed their movements. Similarly, the official supporters section has seen almost 30% of its membership ranks deserted, and the club has lost 20% revenue ahead of this season.

Says Milicent Shefford, “if things don’t get better in the next few seasons, Foreman’s going to be forced to sell the team, it’s losing money, and fast,” clearly signaling a change in the guard can be smelt through the streets of Ravenclyff.

“This team used to be adored, now whenever you hear it, it gets boos.”

“It’s a disgrace of a club, the mighty just continue to fall, there’s nothing we can do.”

“It was my boyhood club, it was the only club I even supported, now, it's a shell of its old self and I can’t bear to look at it,” said a 85 year old random homeless person we met on the streets.

For many, saving Union Forge is too late, no matter what gimmicks, new coaches, celebrities, or whatever is done, it's clear that the former “Pride of Ravenclyff” has fallen on hard times, which has seeped into the discussion related to league expansion.

With Union Forge bringing a part of the 9 historical clubs of Havynwilde, if it's sold what’s its future?

For many, some are worried Foreman will sell it to QuikStop Co., a market conglomerate which has links to both Baywall Athletic and Union Forge- rumored to have attempted three failed bids for the club prior.

Now on hard times, could Foreman be looking to turn to dump the team off while it still has assets?

Or is moving in its future, Foreman threatened to move the Hammers to a northern region of Akersville, thirty miles away from Ravneclyff, if a new stadium wasn’t built. While the city refused, concessions were made to keep the team.

“For us, we felt betrayed,” one said, “they’re only about the money, they don’t care about the people of this city or what it stands for.”

One thing’s for sure, the future of Union Forge certainly will rest on the shoulders of one Mr. Larry Bryson, having accepted the task, he has a monumental job ahead of him, which will probably be one of the scariest of his life. Righting the ship of a team that has sailed so far from its beginning will be rough, and whether or not he can do it? Even more rough.
black liberation.
cofounder of the ffi
my jeans purple off drank

Mavinet
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavinet » Sun May 03, 2020 10:32 pm

© Dai Hoa Times
Baptism of Fire 72: Mavinet started the tournament with a goal galore
by Lam Manh Hai, Senior Sports Editor

The Dai Hoa Times welcome readers across the nation to its special series covering the Mavinese national football team's participation in the 72nd Baptism of Fire and 85th World Cup qualifiers. Our dedicated and experienced sport editors will provide information before and after each match, as well as comments and opinions from the experts as we accompany the national team in this journey.

Mavinet marked the beginning of its participation in the world's senior-level football with a 6-goal draw against Lake Esper. Despite not knowing much about the opponent before the match, Head Coach Nguyen Minh Quan's squad displayed a positive performance against the Esportivan team. Fans on both sides would have loved to see a more decisive result to their team's advantage, but none can complain about the entertaining qualities of the match.

Lake Esper started the match strongly with aggressive, high-tempo attacks. Fielding a rather unusually offense-oriented formation with 5 attacking players, Lake Esper went for the goals very early in the match. Wingers Julian Carroway and Christopher Mirren posed a serious threat on the flanks as Mavinet were caught slightly off-guard by the aggressive approach. The 2 opponent strikers registered a whopping 7 attempts on goal in the first 20 minutes, forcing goalkeeper Hoang Trung to stretch and save several times. One chance, however, was converted by Eli Gallant in the 18th minute with a close range finish. The assist belonged to Mirren, who successfully dribbled past Quoc Anh and put in a precise low cross. Still regrouping from the goal, Mavinet's defense disappointingly let in another in the 22nd minute, when Percy Southwark cleverly beat the offside trap and went in on goal after a through pass from Hadrian Salo.

A 2-goal margin in the first 25 minutes allowed Lake Esper to loose up on the offense a bit. Mavinet, after a difficult start to the match, slowly got their rhythm back and mounted their first dangerous counter-attacks. One such occasion in the 36th minute saw the ball passed through 5 players in an eye-catching one-two passing play, ending with Hoang Minh volleying the ball into the back of the net after a conveniently-placed return pass from Thanh Hai. Lake Esper 2 to Mavinet 1. Right before the first half whistle, striker Thanh Hai headed the ball in off the crossbar from a corner, leveling the score for Mavinet. It was a big sigh of relief for Head Coach Minh Quan, as that definitely made his half-time talk a lot easier.

Both team returned in the second half determined to come out on top. What followed were a series of back and forth plays that kept supporters on both sides on the edge of their seats. Carroway, Gallant, Southwark and Mirren continued to threaten Mavinet's goal, while Thanh Hai, Gia Bao, Hoang Minh and Trung Quan also tested Lake Esper's goalkeeper on multiple occasions. The sparing went on until the 74th minute when a lapse of concentration from Hung Dung allowed substitute striker Tadhg Seabrook to slip pass him and put the ball in the net. Defensive vulnerabilities continued to be a problem in this match for Mavinet.

When it seemed Mavinet were to lose their first match of the tournament, wonderkid Ho Vu Thanh Hoang rose to save the day. A substitute in the 80th minute, Thanh Hoang almost instantly impressed with his speed, dribbling skills and intelligent passing. In the 87th minute, after receiving a long ball from defensive midfielder Lam Tri Thong, Thanh Hoang started a sprint down the right flank, cut inside and curled the ball passed Sem Selbergh into the far left corner of the goal. Mavinet went on to defend the 3-3 score until the final whistle and were saved from a disadvantageous start to the tournament.

With this result, Mavinet got 1 point and sit in 3rd place on the group table, after Shokpos had a goalless draw with The Appraisal To The Allmighty MR TAYTO and Donnacona registered the only win in the group to grab 1st spot.

Our next opponent will be Villablanca, the team that did not play in the first matchday. This will certainly help them with regard to physical condition, but at this early stage and this level of football, one match advantage is not a big factor that could seriously affect players' playing condition. Since Villablanca are another team that favor attacking football, it will be interesting to see how Head Coach Minh Quan will prepare for the match using lessons from the first match and what adjustments will be made to address the defensive problems that continue to be a undermining factor in Mavinet's performance on the international stage.

MAVINET - 3
36' Hoang Minh
45' Thanh Hai
87' Thanh Hoang

LAKE ESPER - 3
18' Eli Gallant
22' Percy Southwark
74' Tadhg Seabrook

Lineup against Villablanca

Last edited by Mavinet on Sun May 03, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Champion: Baptism of Fire 72
    Third place: Di Bradini Cup 47

Maccian
Attaché

Founded: Dec 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Maccian » Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 am

Zeta Reka'd Our Whole Team!

by Micheal Goated

Apologies for that pun, the opportunity was just there. So our beloved "Riflemen" (the nickname should be changed to the Cons... just saying) have kicked off their Baptism of Fire 72 campaign with a disappointing 1-0 loss to Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom who toyed around with the Cons all game long. It was really, really, really painful to watch, Missi Sorrentingerclausen, Mikkleargen Jamressl and Eztelle Zeyla just disappeared as the superior midfield of Stani Gröss, Želmir Kolarowić and Rybki, who scored the only goal in the game, stifled any minuscule chances at a promising attack. The Zeta Reka Ministry for Culture & Sport condemned accusations claiming that the Rekans were actually too harsh against these sorry excuses of human beings. I wholeheartedly agree with the ministry, because let's be honest if Zeta Reka didn't have a moral compass, they would have put four, five or even six past the defence.

They're not sorry excuses of human beings because they lost. These damn players are thieves and murderers that should be confined within cells for the duration of their natural life. So what if they're kids? Nobody told them that stealing, assaulting and murdering people was a good idea. Their crimes are on them. So in this article, I'm going to look at what went wrong for Maccian.

The Ineptitude of the Staff

Who in the actual fuck are the scouts? Were they high, drunk or both coming into this match? Isn't a scout's purpose to, you know, SCOUT the opposing team? We knew nothing about Zeta Reka's tactics until we were getting outplayed by them in the match. Seriously, we came up with a team that was slow and uncreative, or more specifically a shitty midfield. Missi Sorrentingerclausen was the only midfielder who could actually create something, yet that Gröss guy locked her up like she was back in prison. There wasn't much we could have done to prepare seeing as the ONE JOB these imbeciles had ended up not being done.

You thought I was done there? Oh no, no, no. I'm not even getting started. Could somebody tell me why, why, why why why, these kids weren't trained to kick a ball? The entire bloody match, these fuckers kicked the ball out for a throw-in when attempting a simple, 10-yard pass. Using. Their. Fucking. Toes. To. Do. Everything. Jesus's Lord! Légionne Roi took a shot just before half time as Espede Luftzbolten outran Janko Yakowić (hey, turns out doing 16 counts of home invasions gave some good practice for her putting on the burners) and crossed it to Légionne Roi, who then attempted a volley that flew out of the stadium, out of Appalachia, out of the entire region of Esportiva, and into Maccian where it then struck President Petchrey Makcay's face. The point is if you're going to send a bunch of teenaged criminals to a football tournament, should it not be checked and verified that the players coming along can actually play football? If not, how can you improve their skills in a way that will suit their role for this team? This along with the scouts not doing their jobs make Maccian look like a third world backwater nation on the international stage.

The Wrong Players

Below you will find the starting-11 for this match.

So let me get this straight. Zeta Reka have had some experience in other tournaments, with much tougher oppositions. They push back and smother, (in their words, not mine. By the way, this was taken directly from their roster announcement) opposition attacks. Seems to me like they are quite a defensive team, one that should not be underestimated. I'd be so gung ho about using a balanced team which is not too weak defensively but can absolutely fuck some shit up on the counter-attack. So why did Kidomasdipuetz Anjill, or rather, John True, decided to go in with a defensive set up in mind, hoping to either break them down on their attacks and hope for a successful counter-attack or park the bus and hold out for a draw. I just have so many questions as to why we sent this fucking team and staff to the tournament!

First of all, Mikkleargen Jamressl is a defence-orientated midfielder and didn't have the spark we needed to break the deadlock inside the first half. He can run pretty much forever, sure, but anyone can if you run at a snail's pace. This guy couldn't keep up with a 35-year-old who is already physically declining yet breezed past Jamressl like he wasn't there. Eztelle Zeyla was a bad choice because she's too goddamn frail. A gust of wind could knock her down, there was no way she could have competed with any of Zeta Reka's midfielders who outright bullied our team physically. Forgive me for straying, but 17 fouls were committed on these kids. 17. That's just cruel, I'm surprised some of these players didn't shatter like glass the moment Gröss came in like a wrecking ball. Back on topic, these two central-midfielders contrasted each other greatly and we lost the midfield battle.

The defence was actually satisfactory, but I would have swapped Fleur for Kutatzi as she couldn't really keep up the wingers of Zeta Reka however much she tried. Being teenagers, some of these kids may not have reached their true heights yet, which is especially important for the defence as they have some time to grow. If our centre-backs are 6'1, 6'0 and 5'11, it is to be expected that we lose ariel battles to much taller and stringer centre-backs. The choice of Jeiles Kriessmann playing however was quite questionable. She's a little speed demon that caused Zeta Reka's defence a few issues but like Zeyla, is just too weak. She can't just blow by her defender every single time without expecting some physical contact. She drew 9 fouls, just over half of the total fouls Zeta Reka committed against Maccian.

Espede Luftzboltzen was the best Maccian player in that match, as she was the one who was providing most of the chances and had 3 shots which could have been the equaliser. The best chance in the game came late in the 87th minute when a misplaced pass by Rybki which was intercepted by Luftboltzen, and then she proceeded to zoom past Yakowić before she found herself one-on-one with the keeper. She ambitiously shot the ball at the near post hoping to catch the 'keeper off guard, but he performed a routine, but nonetheless good, save which pretty much ended Maccian's dreams at equaling the scoreline.

Légionne Roi was clearly struggling as the poor kid looked as if he hadn't eaten a meal in about four good months. No joke, that kid is only 123 lbs at 6'0. Essentially a walking, talking skeleton. He was brutally beaten down (overpowered, he wasn't actually assaulted for you slow readers...) every time he tried dribbling. Miloš Simeoniwić was booked for his challenge on Roi, which left him being taken off for Eries Kizerain, who was practically invisible. We can't really criticise him that much as he only got around 26 minutes of game time.

How to fix this? Replace Jamressl and Zeyla with Drowska and Rükommpt. Both of these girls are not terribly slow like Jamressl, not frail like Zeyla and able to create opportunities, lifting the burden of being the team's sole creator of Sorrentingerclausen. I'd put Kizerain upfront instead of Roi because, well, does this really need explaining?

We can only look forward to our next match against group leaders Valentine Z, who are coming out of a thrilling 3-2 win over South Charlia. Will the Kidomasdipuetz and John True perhaps take on my advice? Probably not. How long will Légionne be out for? We'll find out tomorrow. But all I'm saying is, sending these kids to a tournament of men is an astronomical poor decision. Time will tell how these cons get on..
Last edited by Maccian on Mon May 04, 2020 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah I'm a Yeagerist, what you gonna do about it?

What'd you expect?

Seriously, who is behind these damn AQA questions?
Currently failing maths :D

Tequilo
Envoy

Founded: Dec 04, 2018

BoF-72 #3 MD1

Postby Tequilo » Mon May 04, 2020 12:49 am

La CASA TLALQUI
Nuevo Camino-220, Pueblo Chanco Cóndor, Distrito Norte de Huayna-Comitán, Guastanango

At the little adobe house on the dangerous bend toward the end of Nuevo Camino, next door to La Rosa Cantina, on the outskirts of the ramshackle village of Chanco Cóndor, the old man Chuco and his spiritmate Nina, once the most desired woman of the pueblo and even now a notable shaman, settled down for the television, with cigars and black, bitter rhizote.

"No Lilián again," grumbled the old man, on the absence of his wayward daughter, "she will miss the whole damn tournament at this rate."

Nina Tlalaqui drew in a lungful of her puro, and puffed out blue circles of aromatic fog. "Do you remember, husband, when we used to meet, down by the railway, in those first days? Did we care for the pitxi then?"

Chuco grunted, supping the rhizote. Nina continued; "I miss those days, husband, when we cared nothing for the world but for what we could find in each other's undergarments."

Chuco choked on his puro, a rumbling laugh in his diaphragm. "My Nina! I miss that too. And I miss my little Lilián, and our afternoons at the pitxi, cheering on the Índigo. I remember her on my shoulders, getting a view of the match in the thumping crowd of El Huappa. Remember? When the Índigo smashed Acocos for six? What a day!"

"Yes, my husband, we had gotten familiar with the things in our undergarments, and come back to the pitxi after all that, with a daughter on our shoulders. And she will come back to the pitxi too, in time."

Chuco grumbled some more, and wondered about that. Would she have a child on her shoulders too? Nina hit the remote, in order to catch up with the Baptism of Fire.

Next up on ParaísoTV's Deportivo Valiente channel 4 tonight, Bautismo de Fuego - our magazine programme presented by the network's top sports anchor, Neizan Baztán, with expert analysis from ex-footballer turned pundit Haizinto. Right after these commercial presentations from our channel sponsors.

"Aaai!" exclaimed Nina Tlalqui, a viewer from the North Huayna-Comitán district, "Haizinto again? Haven't they sacked him after that disaster yesterday? The whole country is calling him a gillipollas after cursing our luck with his stupid predictions." Her husband laughed. "May as well hang him for a guanaco as for a cria," he said, "He can't do any more damage, we may as well have a laugh!" Nina Tlalqui nodded her head sagely, "one idiota I don't mind laughing at," she said.

Good evening pitxi fans of Tequilo, and welcome to the second edition of our Baptism of Fire coverage here on your favourite sports channel, DV4! Tonight, with Los Mextiqos on a rest day, what have we learned about the group from the first round of results? Joining me tonight, cult character Haizinto, known throughout the Alianza for his contribution to pitxi gold -

"Pitxe gold? De Oro? Pfft!" cursed Nina at the TV set, "pitxi turd, more like." Her husband agreed - "Una tetera de choco!"

Up first, highlights of Tierranueva del Sur1 vs. Puertosalvaje2, but before that Haize, give us your overview of today's action.

Well Neizan, that game you mention, straight off the bat, looks like a six-pointer as we discover more about the Southerners to discover they are another team adding weight to the quality of this group, and a surprise win - at least to me -

"Snow in the mountains would be a surprise to you, grueso," said Nina, rolling her eyes,

- really has put the gato among the palomas. Meanwhile Tierraholgada3 laboured to a draw when I predicted a win for them, giving up a 3-0 lead in the process; so they have some disappointment to get over before the next matchday. I still expect them to come good though, and Cabezacono4 did not disappoint in a strong win over Revatnagar - confirming my early prediction of their likely dominance in this group.

Err, well, actually Haize, you never mentioned them -

Did I not? Well I meant to. I meant to say, they will start strong and probably stay that way, competing for the group. And I was right too. As I am sure I said before, they are based on a strong defence with keeper Erin Maltson looking very decent indeed and Aaron Korkson in front of her a solid competitor in the back row. They will be the team to catch, I feel, and I expect Havynwilde(transl.) to bounce back pretty smartish, too.

Hmm, well, we'll do some back checking on that later Haize, see how well that crystal ball of yours works. You mention South Newlandia(transl.) there as contenders, and they are off to a strong start. They are our first opponents in tournament tonight - here's our graphic for the team line-up tonight, with coach Nores going for his predicted strongest line-up, what do you make of that, Haize?

Well Neizan, as you say, this looks our best line-up and coach Nores says he's got a fully fit team to select from. No surprise that our young starlets Oscar Bienvenida, Ixtub Tün, Niño Pinto and Urrués Gironella are all on the bench, el Gaffer will want them to take in the tournament atmosphere before blooding them although I cannot wait to see Tün out there, what a prospect! But that looks a good line-up to me; my namesake in defence there, Haize Apeiztegui, will surely rise to the occasion, reading the game the way he does, and marshall that back line to keep the Southerners at arms length. Let's not concede tonight, boys!

"If only you would concede and go home, cerodizquierda!" said Nina, getting up to put the rhizote back on the stove for a hot black brew.

MUSEO de PITXI
1, Plaza Pitxi, Camino Recto, Distrito Socrates, Tapalupé

Here, in what was the former master bathroom of the original residence - hence the priceless porcelain tiling, Fèixū Dynasty original, no less - we find, appropriately enough, the Exposición Masvidal. If you have any questions, please do ask - your humble guide, Exidio Coyopa, is here to help - and knows everything there is to know about Masvidal. Any questions at all…

Be curious, dear turistas! Questions!

Pyacoque? - again? Shall I call security and have you removed?

You ask who in the multiverse is Masvidal?Well, I will admit, that is a Rarely Asked Question, given almost everyone knows the answer to that, Señor. These people here know, don't you? What? No? Hmm. This is a particularly ill-educated tour group, it seems. Well then. Since you asked.

RAQ: Who in the multiverse is Masvidal?

Masvidal should surely rank only as the greatest player and manager of the entire layered multiverse, ever, anywhere. At least in the opinion of all the peoples of the Costelloan Empire; that includes all the Latinique people of the Plataforma and Pletora continents (which as I am sure you are aware are linked by the massive country of Tequilo in which you stand today), all the Wide Enness Ocean, the Boreal Islands, and literally scores of nations under the umbrella of one ideal - the idea of Señor Costello. But these are lessons of geography, history and meta-philosophy for another cutoff. The point is, he was a Very Great Man of Significant Import - even if you philistines outside of Costelloan influence have never heard of him.

Born 136 years ago in Libertad, Tamarindia, Masvidal became a young rising talent in the football system of that nation, a bulldozing star striker for dominant Tamarindian club Sparta, in the capital Misión. Quickly rising to the international team, at 24 he captained Tamarindia to Baptism of Fire 44 glory, 112 years ago. But this was just before that nation imploded in the great Fall of Tamarindia when their syndicalist economic system crashed. Coming to the attention of the world in terrific style in the Baptism, Masvidal had already signed a contract to play for Charzzan in Erathore, a nation with a powerful domestic league at that time, and had played only half a season when he returned home for a family visit and was caught in the capital at the time of the fall. Believed murdered in Misión, he disappeared for several months before it emerged he had escaped to Wight, then rising as the powerhouse of Costellan nations.

Playing out his senior years in the Wight league system, he learned his trade as a player coach at Haitïens (yes, a partner club to the one here in Tapalupé city) and began coaching the Wight national youth teams. As manager of the under-15s he won the inaugural under-15 World Cup in Farfadillis, then moved on to the under-21s, to manage the 25th Di Bradini under-21 World Cup win, and then reach the final of the 26th, narrowly missing out on a rare successful title defence. His management proven, Masvidal took control of the senior national team, and led them to glory, 80 years ago this year, winning the 65th World Cup in Saugeais with a shock win over Polar Islandstates and a quite unique under-15, under-21 and senior World Cup treble, with Wight's Platinum Generation of players who featured in all three titles.

Perhaps the trauma of his time in Tamarindia during the Fall, and his latent eccentricity, got the better of him; as storm clouds closed in on a troubled nation in Wight, Masvidal went entirely lupé, and after several high-profile incidents, was incarcerated in a comfortable Asyluum for his own good. But he wasn't finished yet. Forty years later, and forty years ago this year, an aged Masvidal was broken out of his institution by a group of mischievous pirates, and brought to Bonesea, where he taught one Pythagoras Jones how to coach football. Together they hatched a tactical plan - one which took that nation to a Baptism of Fire, a World Cup and a Cup of Harmony treble of finals over the next few years, although they only won the latter.

Truly, he was a tactical genius. What happened to him after his time with Pythagoras Jones is a matter of pure speculation, although by then he was already 96 years old and, they say - quite unbelievably - very frail. He disappeared from view, and never really received enough credit for his influence over Bonesea's brief rise to football power. But here in Tequilo, like much of the Costelloan Empire, we remember him, and cherish his achievements, and remain ever thankful for the time he spent in our vast and humble country.

RAQ: Masvidal came to Tequilo? When?

The legend came here three times, that we know of, and was a great attraction on two of the three occasions. The first time, he was still an unknown and raw teenage talent, playing for Sparta's reserve team. He was selected to come here on a pre-season tour with the Sparta team, and featured in two games, one as a substitute, in the capital here. Famous with hindsight, those games saw Sparta beat Galaxía 3-1 in which he appeared as a substitute, and Independiencia 6-0 when he scored once. The nature of that goal is long forgotten, 118 years later!

Masvidal returned to a hero's welcome six years later just after the Baptism of Fire win, by which time he was already a superstar across the Costelloan diaspora and had just come to the attention of the wider world. Having signed a contract with Charzzan that made him an instant millonario, he stopped over in Antivador for a vacation, and when word got out, the state was flooded with fans. After graciously entertaining the masses for a couple of days with autograph signings and impromptu guest appearances here there and everywhere, he cancelled his vacation and headed off to Erathore.

On his final visit, a quarter of a century and a lot of adventures later, he brought his Wight squad to Tequilo for a high-altitude training camp in the Muralla mountains, up above La Milega, Maranco state, just before the glorious World Cup 65 campaign. Already winning the under-15 and under-21 titles in the past decade, the team was on the brink of history. More carefully controlled than his previous visit, nonetheless Masvidal - known to be bad-tempered and volatile - was nothing but a gracious guest, entertaining huge crowds in pre-arranged events and leaving the whole country rooting for Wight in the upcoming tournament - which they amply repaid with the title.

RAQ: Why is a Masvidal Exhibition appropriate for the bathroom?

Excuse me? What do you mean?

RAQ: You said, the former master bathroom, appropriately enough, contains the Exposición Masvidal. Why is a Masvidal Exhibition appropriate for the bathroom?

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Well, since you clearly don't know, I will explain that I was referring to one of the famous incidents recorded in the Annals of Wight, 4 years after the World Cup triumph, when Masvidal, by his own description, split into a thousand different Masvidals (or his mind did, anyway). As was later reported, this happened as a result of a famously published incident in which Masvidal publicly claimed he had been visited in his bathroom by an armed bear from another dimension. This whole sorry affair happened not long after Wight's failed World Cup defence, by which time Masvidal had retired (at the top, after the '65 win) and was, by all accounts, missing football more than anyone knew. For many, sadly, the bear in the bathroom is a lasting image of the beginning of the end of Masvidal's sanity.

ImageImageImage

Colección Stiki-StikiTM brings you another complimentary sticker for your Bautismo album, and another of Tequilo's classy defenders, for whom we have high hopes in the coming tournament. Young centre back Huracan, of the Ixta people, is only 22 and a surprisingly slight fellow for a player task with holding up the last line of defence. But don't be deceived; to the pitxe fans of Tequilo, this talented defender seems to have already been around for an age, having made his league debut for Jaguar Itxacomitán at only 15 years old. Full name Patzin Cihuacoh Xihuidira-Nogue, the boy earned his nickname in the youth ranks at Jaguar for his whirlwind tackling and remarkable turn of pace. He remains the youngest ever player to start for Jaguars, in Chazapa state, and was a regular in the side before his seventeenth birthday.

Since his debut for Jaguars - and surely no coincidence - the club have been enjoying one of their most successful periods, showing a rare dominance over their cross-town rivals and El Muymal - the Superbad - cálculo opponents Pitxi-Pitxi 77, the second most successful team in all Tequilo. With Jaguars, Huracan has won three state championships; his needle-point tackling and boundless energy made him a fans favourite early on, and with more than 150 appearances for the team already, he is well on the way to being a club legend. Huracan has represented the state of Chazapa on 23 occasions and looks set to become a fixture in the new unified national team.

FOOTNOTES
1 South Newlandia
2 Havynwilde
3 Baggieland
4 Kohnhead
Last edited by Tequilo on Mon May 04, 2020 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
::: FORGOTTEN BUT NOT GONE :::
BECAUSE BECAUSE BECAUSE

The Veiled Islands
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Veiled Islands » Mon May 04, 2020 1:38 am

The players of the Uinzaii national football team did not know what to expect when they arrived in Delaclava. Until recently, none of them had ever heard of Delaclava. Simply making the trip from Cimuineida to Mariana had been an adventure in itself -- the long submarine voyage under the mysterious fog that cut the islands off from the rest of the world, stops at ports filled with overwhelming crowds, and a barrage of unfamiliar sights and sounds. The sheer size of everything was daunting. Donovan Field had a seating capacity close to the entire population of the Veiled Islands. On top of that, the local people seemed to have no concept of personal space, and most of the team suffered from some degree of agoraphobia because of all the crowding.

It was all very overwhelming and intimidating, but it was exciting too, and they were eager to take the field and see how they stacked up against the mainlanders. Their first opponents were from Ottoman Syldavia -- another country they had never heard of until recently and did not know anything about. To the islanders' surprise, the Ottoman defenders seemed to as intimidated by them as they were by the huge crowds. They weren't sure why the Ottomans were so hesitant -- was it the body paint? The islanders didn't think of their bircuhaset and masks as intimidating because they had all grown up with such things. None of it had anything to do with war paint or fighting, but people from the mainland might not know that.

Whatever was going through the Ottomans' heads, the Uinzaii offense seized the opportunity. They scored 4 goals as they romped their way to a convincing win in their first ever international game.

Etia Tilashandii celebrates after scoring a goal

South Newlandia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby South Newlandia » Mon May 04, 2020 2:12 am

ELEPHANT VALLEY MAIL
Sports -> Soccer
South Newlandia defeats Havynwilde in thrilling match

South Newlandia managed to win their first Baptism of Fire match against Havynwilde 2-1. After the half-time, both teams seemed equal, but in the end, South Newlandia could secure a late winning goal.

South Newlandia 2-1 Havynwilde

Action started in the 7th minute, when Mikhail Trischuk made a good save against Ashton Housten. The striker for Havynwilde had received a great pass from Cann Baird to get one on one with Trischuk, but he got his left foot on the ball just in time.
South Newlandia had their first good chance after 16 minutes. Finnley Wallis managed to get a shot in from about 20 meters distance, but the ball was too high by about 20 cm. Joel Nolans would have stood no chance at saving that.

In the 26th minute, South Newlandia took the lead. Corban Green had received a free kick from about 30 meters distances, and his flank managed to find the head of Dhruv Roy, who managed to score into the top right corner.

Havynwilde bounced back right before the half-time, with Ashton Houston scoring. Francis Sutherland got the assist for his great pass.

It was halftime with one goal each and that seemed like a fair result. Most statistics were about equal too. Coach Wolverine brought one new player, taking out Ricardo Rayner. He hadn’t had his best day, and was replaced with Bjorn Cohen. The young striker went to work immediately, hitting the post in the 48th minute. The ball bounced back into the field, but was then saved by Nolans.

The game went more slowly after that. South Newlandias defense was able to get good control of Havynwilde, and South Newlandias offense couldn’t break through either.

The 78th minute brought action back when Ashton Houston barely missed his second goal, with Trischuk keeping South Newlandia in the game with another save. At this point, South Newlandia replaced Johan Dorsey with Kevin Mohamed.

Everyone was starting to settle for a draw at this point, but in the 86th minute Corban Green managed to get a great flank in. Liam Miller had little trouble converting into a goal, and suddenly, South Newlandia was up by one.

That was not yet the end of the game though, as it ended with bad news for South Newlandia. After a foul in the stoppage time, Corban Green seemed to be hurt, and had to be replaced by Donald Lancaster.

Nevertheless, South Newlandia was able to secure a win in the end, although the match was close until the end.

Player Rankings

Mikhail Trischuk (GK) 9
He held the team in the game with more than one great save, and only allowed one goal. He also did a great job as the team’s captain.

Dhruv Roy (LB) 9
He scored a goal, and defended almost flawlessly. A single mistake in the 7th minute kept him from a perfect rating.

Jack Schroeder (LCB) 7

Karl Meyer (RCB) 8

Kendell Wagner (RB) 7

Johan Dorsey (DM) 7

Corban Green (LM) 10
Scored Two assists and he initiated many more chances. He was also reliable in defense. It was a great performance by him.

Patrick McMora (RM) 6
He didn’t seem to have caught his best day. He can certainly play better.

Finnley Wallis (OM) 8

Ricardo Rayner (ST) 5
He didn’t play well today, and was rightfully taken out of the game after half-time.

Liam Miller (ST) 8
Had few chances, but scored in the end. He still had a solid performance.

Bjorn Cohen (ST) 8
When he came in, he was a threat almost instantly. He might be replacing Rayner in the upcoming games.

Kevin Mohamed (DM) –

Donald Lancaster (LM) –

All matches:
South Newlandia 2–1 Havynwilde
Twicetagria 3–3 Baggieland
Kohnhead 3–1 Revatnagar

Current standings:
Group G                            Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Kohnhead 1 1 0 0 3 1 +2 3
2 South Newlandia 1 1 0 0 2 1 +1 3
3 Baggieland 1 0 1 0 3 3 0 1
Twicetagria 1 0 1 0 3 3 0 1
5 Tequilo 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
6 Havynwilde 1 0 0 1 1 2 −1 0
7 Revatnagar 1 0 0 1 1 3 −2 0

Schedule:
Baggieland v. Kohnhead
Havynwilde v. Twicetagria
Tequilo v. South Newlandia
South Newlandia will play Tequilo next, the team that had their bye day on Matchday 1. The teams will play in Jayji Stadium in Crystal Lake.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports