NATION

PASSWORD

NS Cliches II: Re-Rebooted

The place to relax, unwind, share a joke, and generally goof off.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Frisemark
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 07, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Frisemark » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:46 pm

The Jamesian Republic wrote:
Sky Citadel wrote:Your just jealous my lore is uh, well developed.

So developed romance novelists wish to get in touch with you.

(none of which are women :P)
The Kingdom of Frisemark
"From this day forward, I shall take up all the empire in my embrace. For I am father of the empire, as I am father to all creation. I will suffer no tired institution nor petty bureaucrat to stand between me and my children. I am the perfect loving god, and all will tremble to know me."
Denmark and the Netherlands had a kid, and it loves the color blue.
This nation is largely for me to autofellate many of my personal views.

Clinton Foundation deep cover agent and George Soros' loyal Jewish Space Laser operator. IRS Supersoldier. Card carrying DNC member.

Book List

Karazicu
Envoy

Founded: Feb 08, 2022
Father Knows Best State

Postby Karazicu » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:47 pm

Felt like preserving this from the last thread, it was pretty cool
Kiu Ghesik wrote:
So, yeah, I think we'd all agree that "summerposter bad" and all that. I mean, hell, F7 is literally considered a spam forum by a number of posters outside of this place; take this in Commend Val Z for example. Sure, that's just one opinion, but still... think about it- F7 has an autoprune. No other forum does. F7 is literally built to encourage what we call "spam" and low-effort forum games.

In thinking about this, though, I came to three realizations about the topic. The first is that F7 is as of late (at least in my opinion) getting more divisive in terms of how it views summerposters and effortposters. The second is that those two groups, summerposters and effortposters, are more or less irreconcilable in their goals on this forum. And the third is that (as much as we as effortposters dislike summerposters and other one-liner posters) both groups need the other to survive.

Here's why:

At least to my perceptions, as a result of the pandemic we've seen an influx in new users who aren't really a part of our established community here, which I'll for the purposes of this post refer to as "effortposters." These summerposters don't have an interest in using this forum as for more or less what we have been, as a writing forum- they take its description, as a place to goof off, at face value, and thus don't particularly care about writing massive posts because it's in their eyes not what they're here for. Sure, we'd appreciate it if we did, but we can't- and we won't ever be able to.

There is a difference in not just intent but in perception of the purpose of the forums on F7- take, for instance, Rein. Rein is here because Rein's written all his lore and he wants to share it in a casual setting; F7's the place for that, since an OOC review can't go in any of the IC forums, P2TM is explicitly not for NS stuff, A&F is about other franchises, Cards is for a minigame, General's a containment board (and also doesn't care), GenSec and the SC obviously don't work, and, well... try it in Technical and Moderation, I dare you. Furthermore, he's got an established community that he's a part of that has an appetite for his works, and therefore he shares with them and has a hell of a lot of fun doing it, because they're willing to appreciate the effort he's put into it and return it.

But then let's take another, this time theoretical poster- idk, Summertopia or some shit like that. This user hasn't seen NS before, and the other forums pretty much all require an existing presence to make one's way in; F7, then, is this nation's only option for posting too- but our established community isn't theirs, either. The only thing they can do is join in the joke forums. That's not a bad thing, either- it's what F7 is ultimately here for.

But these two groups can't be reconciled. One is an established community, the other is just a collection of users. One has established standards of quality, the other doesn't. The difference is that the former community, the effortposters, aren't actually using F7 for its intended purpose; the summerposters are. Is that a bad thing? No, it's not- not by any means. And here's why- this is the important bit.

WITHOUT SUMMERPOSTERS, THERE IS NO F7. WITHOUT EFFORTPOSTERS, THERE IS NO MEANINGFUL F7.

In terms of the "lifespan" of your average NS user, at least your average F7er, we see something like this: you either flunk out and CTE as a summerposter or you take an interest in this writing thing you see the effortposters doing and join in on that. You improve, you grow, and you get better. We were all summerposters at one point- I more recently than most of you. We learned from the upper class of effortposters and grew to be more like them. Well, maybe not Synne; I'm not fully convinced that Synne isn't the not!Ace Combat version of Athena, springing fully-formed from Max Barry's head with the knowledge of the inner workings of BBCode already in his mind. But for the rest of us, it's a matter of improving and getting better. Could we have done that without having effortposters to set an example for us? Hell no we couldn't.

So therefore effortposters are essential. But so are summerposters- think about your average effortpost. Is it enjoyable for you to make it? Yeah, but how long does it take you to make it? Quite a while, right? Yeah. And it takes a lot out of you to make essay-length post after post; it's hardly sustainable either, for me at least. We need summerposters to keep up the posting rate of this forum, to make it more energetic and lively, to fill the gaps effortposters can't, and to supply the precious few users who choose to learn and grow and become more like effortposters. Take away the summerposters and you lose the influx of new users- we wouldn't survive, not indefinitely. F7 needs summerposters to survive; hell, as shown above it was literally designed for them. As much as we don't want to admit it, we're the interlopers. We're also the gateway to the rest of NS for those few who decide to grow and not just get bored and leave.

Now, with those facts out of the way, let's get to the conclusion: What do we do about all this?

Well, the answer is more or less nothing. It's not ignoring summerposters, because that doesn't work. You can't get rid of summerposters and have an F7 left behind to enjoy, even if you wanted to. Furthermore, ignoring those of us who don't want to make massive-ass walls of text every post we make is just going to make F7 more hostile and toxic of a place to be. I mean, we don't want to end up like GenSec or Gameplay, right? They hold themselves to strict quality standards, and the consensus opinion on them in this forum is to my perception largely that they've got sticks up their asses. But on the other hand, going the way of II and one-liner RPs isn't the way we want to go either, which I feel is what might happen if we let summerposting "run rampant".

I would propose, then, that the "solution" is, more or less, being courteous and kind to other people. Now, this is a hell of a lot to expect of anyone. But here's the thing, as I see it- we, as a community, can't go on being asses to the people who ultimately enable F7 to be an attractive and not an intimidating place for newcomers to jump into. I would've fucked right off six months ago when I first showed up if there weren't threads that didn't require that high of an investment for me to jump into and get settled here. As much as I'd like this to be our writing community, it'd put F7 on life-support, essentially. If we don't have new posters coming in then eventually one by one we'll all fuck off as a result of a lack of new content and engagement or go to discords or something and there'll be no one left. On the other hand, people are being pushed off to discords and other places as a result of summerposting, and that's not tolerable either; it just makes it worse for people here because they're fighting a losing battle.

Therefore the only thing we can do is tolerate when we get shafted, support each other by hopping into threads where we see other people with high-effort posts getting the short end of the stick, and generally make ourselves a little more... tolerable and welcoming, I guess. I mean, people will react better to "hey, mate, what do you think about this in more than a few words?" than they will "fuck summerposters, all my homies hate summerposters." It's just a matter of doing right by your mates that makes things worthwhile- I mean, I stick around here because I enjoy spending time with y'all. At the same time, though, if we can expand our [community of F7 frens] rather than just protecting it from people who might with a little coaching be able to join it, we're doing ourselves and this entire forum a disservice.

We are the people shaping how this forum is arranged. If we bitch about it, we can't do jack-shit. If we accept summerposters and help them to grow instead of putting them down, then we'll see improvement. Slow improvement, and only minor improvement- summerposters are and will always be an essential part of F7, and nothing will ever change that. But improvement nonetheless.

Look at it this way: Val made an etiquette guide. Be like Val- if we set the consensus "accepted bar" of this forum high enough to get the people who want to go higher to be able to reach it through constructive means, by coaching people where they are rather than ranting about them here, then we'll be able to get more effortposts. Summerposters aren't the problem- they'll always be around. But if we helped each other out and them to get better, then things will probably get better.

I know one-liners are irritating. God fucking damn it, I know they are. But what's important is that we don't punish, we prevent- an ounce is worth a megaton. We can fix things. There are enough of us here to do it.

All we have to lose is our chains the braincells gone from low-effort posting. But we were already doing that, so... we don't lose anything, really. We can only go up from here.
Last edited by Karazicu on Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ESAK
INDEPENDENT STATE OF KARAZICU - ANEKARTITO DRSAVA KARAZIA
ΕΣΑΚ
14:26:12
"Με Εργατη, Αγροτη, και πρωτο τον Στρατιωτη."
 ΚΕΡ:  Αντιμετωπιζουμε τεχνικες δυσκολιες. Παρακαλω αναμεινατε...

Summary: When anarchy struck a Mediterranean island, its military & police took over in a junta, making a new order to prevent it by any and all means.
My Name: funny serbian war criminal xdd
Flag: jc3 reference

new lore and it's just a bunch of blue flowers
tgs open

The Jamesian Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 28, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Jamesian Republic » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:51 pm

Frisemark wrote:
The Jamesian Republic wrote:
So developed romance novelists wish to get in touch with you.

(none of which are women :P)

Lol
Become an Independent. You’ll see how liberating it is.
My Political Beliefs: The Jamesianist Manifesto
General Theme
Special Theme

Meadowfields
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 16, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Meadowfields » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:53 pm

Karazicu wrote:Felt like preserving this from the last thread, it was pretty cool
Kiu Ghesik wrote:
So, yeah, I think we'd all agree that "summerposter bad" and all that. I mean, hell, F7 is literally considered a spam forum by a number of posters outside of this place; take this in Commend Val Z for example. Sure, that's just one opinion, but still... think about it- F7 has an autoprune. No other forum does. F7 is literally built to encourage what we call "spam" and low-effort forum games.

In thinking about this, though, I came to three realizations about the topic. The first is that F7 is as of late (at least in my opinion) getting more divisive in terms of how it views summerposters and effortposters. The second is that those two groups, summerposters and effortposters, are more or less irreconcilable in their goals on this forum. And the third is that (as much as we as effortposters dislike summerposters and other one-liner posters) both groups need the other to survive.

Here's why:

At least to my perceptions, as a result of the pandemic we've seen an influx in new users who aren't really a part of our established community here, which I'll for the purposes of this post refer to as "effortposters." These summerposters don't have an interest in using this forum as for more or less what we have been, as a writing forum- they take its description, as a place to goof off, at face value, and thus don't particularly care about writing massive posts because it's in their eyes not what they're here for. Sure, we'd appreciate it if we did, but we can't- and we won't ever be able to.

There is a difference in not just intent but in perception of the purpose of the forums on F7- take, for instance, Rein. Rein is here because Rein's written all his lore and he wants to share it in a casual setting; F7's the place for that, since an OOC review can't go in any of the IC forums, P2TM is explicitly not for NS stuff, A&F is about other franchises, Cards is for a minigame, General's a containment board (and also doesn't care), GenSec and the SC obviously don't work, and, well... try it in Technical and Moderation, I dare you. Furthermore, he's got an established community that he's a part of that has an appetite for his works, and therefore he shares with them and has a hell of a lot of fun doing it, because they're willing to appreciate the effort he's put into it and return it.

But then let's take another, this time theoretical poster- idk, Summertopia or some shit like that. This user hasn't seen NS before, and the other forums pretty much all require an existing presence to make one's way in; F7, then, is this nation's only option for posting too- but our established community isn't theirs, either. The only thing they can do is join in the joke forums. That's not a bad thing, either- it's what F7 is ultimately here for.

But these two groups can't be reconciled. One is an established community, the other is just a collection of users. One has established standards of quality, the other doesn't. The difference is that the former community, the effortposters, aren't actually using F7 for its intended purpose; the summerposters are. Is that a bad thing? No, it's not- not by any means. And here's why- this is the important bit.

WITHOUT SUMMERPOSTERS, THERE IS NO F7. WITHOUT EFFORTPOSTERS, THERE IS NO MEANINGFUL F7.

In terms of the "lifespan" of your average NS user, at least your average F7er, we see something like this: you either flunk out and CTE as a summerposter or you take an interest in this writing thing you see the effortposters doing and join in on that. You improve, you grow, and you get better. We were all summerposters at one point- I more recently than most of you. We learned from the upper class of effortposters and grew to be more like them. Well, maybe not Synne; I'm not fully convinced that Synne isn't the not!Ace Combat version of Athena, springing fully-formed from Max Barry's head with the knowledge of the inner workings of BBCode already in his mind. But for the rest of us, it's a matter of improving and getting better. Could we have done that without having effortposters to set an example for us? Hell no we couldn't.

So therefore effortposters are essential. But so are summerposters- think about your average effortpost. Is it enjoyable for you to make it? Yeah, but how long does it take you to make it? Quite a while, right? Yeah. And it takes a lot out of you to make essay-length post after post; it's hardly sustainable either, for me at least. We need summerposters to keep up the posting rate of this forum, to make it more energetic and lively, to fill the gaps effortposters can't, and to supply the precious few users who choose to learn and grow and become more like effortposters. Take away the summerposters and you lose the influx of new users- we wouldn't survive, not indefinitely. F7 needs summerposters to survive; hell, as shown above it was literally designed for them. As much as we don't want to admit it, we're the interlopers. We're also the gateway to the rest of NS for those few who decide to grow and not just get bored and leave.

Now, with those facts out of the way, let's get to the conclusion: What do we do about all this?

Well, the answer is more or less nothing. It's not ignoring summerposters, because that doesn't work. You can't get rid of summerposters and have an F7 left behind to enjoy, even if you wanted to. Furthermore, ignoring those of us who don't want to make massive-ass walls of text every post we make is just going to make F7 more hostile and toxic of a place to be. I mean, we don't want to end up like GenSec or Gameplay, right? They hold themselves to strict quality standards, and the consensus opinion on them in this forum is to my perception largely that they've got sticks up their asses. But on the other hand, going the way of II and one-liner RPs isn't the way we want to go either, which I feel is what might happen if we let summerposting "run rampant".

I would propose, then, that the "solution" is, more or less, being courteous and kind to other people. Now, this is a hell of a lot to expect of anyone. But here's the thing, as I see it- we, as a community, can't go on being asses to the people who ultimately enable F7 to be an attractive and not an intimidating place for newcomers to jump into. I would've fucked right off six months ago when I first showed up if there weren't threads that didn't require that high of an investment for me to jump into and get settled here. As much as I'd like this to be our writing community, it'd put F7 on life-support, essentially. If we don't have new posters coming in then eventually one by one we'll all fuck off as a result of a lack of new content and engagement or go to discords or something and there'll be no one left. On the other hand, people are being pushed off to discords and other places as a result of summerposting, and that's not tolerable either; it just makes it worse for people here because they're fighting a losing battle.

Therefore the only thing we can do is tolerate when we get shafted, support each other by hopping into threads where we see other people with high-effort posts getting the short end of the stick, and generally make ourselves a little more... tolerable and welcoming, I guess. I mean, people will react better to "hey, mate, what do you think about this in more than a few words?" than they will "fuck summerposters, all my homies hate summerposters." It's just a matter of doing right by your mates that makes things worthwhile- I mean, I stick around here because I enjoy spending time with y'all. At the same time, though, if we can expand our [community of F7 frens] rather than just protecting it from people who might with a little coaching be able to join it, we're doing ourselves and this entire forum a disservice.

We are the people shaping how this forum is arranged. If we bitch about it, we can't do jack-shit. If we accept summerposters and help them to grow instead of putting them down, then we'll see improvement. Slow improvement, and only minor improvement- summerposters are and will always be an essential part of F7, and nothing will ever change that. But improvement nonetheless.

Look at it this way: Val made an etiquette guide. Be like Val- if we set the consensus "accepted bar" of this forum high enough to get the people who want to go higher to be able to reach it through constructive means, by coaching people where they are rather than ranting about them here, then we'll be able to get more effortposts. Summerposters aren't the problem- they'll always be around. But if we helped each other out and them to get better, then things will probably get better.

I know one-liners are irritating. God fucking damn it, I know they are. But what's important is that we don't punish, we prevent- an ounce is worth a megaton. We can fix things. There are enough of us here to do it.

All we have to lose is our chains the braincells gone from low-effort posting. But we were already doing that, so... we don't lose anything, really. We can only go up from here.

That's one of the longest posts I've ever seen in the history of NS, except for WA proposals.
Last edited by Meadowfields on Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Lai Rainë Liëarda o Lairë-tarwa
Emmë indóme orta ló i nainië o i vanwië!
Overview | History | Politics | Religion | Trivia
Extreme retcon currently in progress.
Male, they/he
Market socialist, Reformist Marxist, and anarcho-pacifist

Caitlinia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 25, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Caitlinia » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:56 pm

Karazicu wrote:Felt like preserving this from the last thread, it was pretty cool
Kiu Ghesik wrote:

Here's why:

Woah that's an amazing post :o

I wish not to be a summie either way. I guess its kinda hard to expect people to make posts on the level of Val or Kiu when they just start on the forum.
The Republic of Caitlinia
Free and Proud!
Ex-British Colony, unshackled from the past. Social democracy in the Pacific.
He/him, 22, L[G]BT - Caitlinia somewhat reflects my irl beliefs.

Meadowfields
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Meadowfields » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:58 pm

Caitlinia wrote:

Woah that's an amazing post :o

I wish not to be a summie either way. I guess its kinda hard to expect people to make posts on the level of Val or Kiu when they just start on the forum.

Yeah, I do remember getting called a summie once but luckily it was a solitary situation.
Male, they/he

The Jamesian Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 28, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Jamesian Republic » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:12 pm

I was a Summie too. However I found my place in things like RP American Politics and Hot Takes
Become an Independent. You’ll see how liberating it is.
My Political Beliefs: The Jamesianist Manifesto
General Theme
Special Theme

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:23 pm

ahhhh the 'summie' discourse. back to square one of NS Cliches thread. spengler was right, history is truly cyclical
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL
" We will not bow to your dictation. We are free. We bled to be free.
Who are you to tell us what we may and may not do? We stopped being your slaves an era ago. "
South Reinkalistan is a massive, ecologically-diverse nation notable for its roving student militias and widespread hatred for the elderly.
In the midst of a room-temperature cultural revolution that's lost its momentum, the Party carefully plans its next move.
As the brittle bones of fragile empires begin to crack beneath their own weight, history's symphony reaches crescendo pitch. The future is all but certain.

The Orwell Society
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:26 pm

Unsavory cliche: people with high post counts but young nations are spammers
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

A vision without action is just a daydream

Meadowfields
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Meadowfields » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:28 pm

The Orwell Society wrote:Unsavory cliche: people with high post counts but young nations are spammers

Then I am a spammer considering that I CTE'd for a long time until April. I've made 4,300 posts overall in these three months.
Last edited by Meadowfields on Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male, they/he

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:29 pm

South Reinkalistan wrote:ahhhh the 'summie' discourse. back to square one of NS Cliches thread. spengler was right, history is truly cyclical

The summies aren't even that bad this year either. But then again, I avoid NSG so...
Republic of Dayganistan | جمهوری دهقانستان

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:49 pm

Kiu Ghesik wrote:

Here's why:

Kiu's posts summed up my thoughts as well. I think the best course of action is to put your expectations of what you like BN's post to be like in your sig. That way, it's communicated properly.

I don't put my expectations in my sig. And even though sometimes a low-effort or mistaken reply would frustrate me, I take a deep breath and move on. For my part, if AN says they want an effortpost, I will make an effortpost. It's just that I dedicate a set amount of time per week to browsing F7 as part of my RL time management. I prefer not to spend it all in one post when there are several interesting threads to reply to.

One-liners aren't automatically bad. It may be more challenging to provide good information using that route, but I prefer a concise reply over a wall of text full of filler words.

The Orwell Society
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:50 pm

Meadowfields wrote:
The Orwell Society wrote:Unsavory cliche: people with high post counts but young nations are spammers

Then I am a spammer considering that I CTE'd for a long time until April. I've made 4,300 posts overall in these three months.

I've got over 1200 posts under my belt and I created this nation in May for RP purposes.
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

Meadowfields
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Meadowfields » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:52 pm

The Orwell Society wrote:
Meadowfields wrote:Then I am a spammer considering that I CTE'd for a long time until April. I've made 4,300 posts overall in these three months.

I've got over 1200 posts under my belt and I created this nation in May for RP purposes.

*April
Male, they/he

Ulajhan
Envoy

Founded: Mar 10, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulajhan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:54 pm

Man, I wish I had gotten on to the first page but I'll take the third.
"Why do you fear? Soon you will not fear. Soon you will not hope. Soon you will not dream. Come with us. The City!TM calls to you, it hears you. it loves you, all that is you is in the City!TM. If you are afraid, we shall listen to it together."
"The Magnificent Botanical Garden wishes you a Happy Holiday! and reminds all visitors to leave no child unattended or risk them no longer being your child!"
"I mourn the Little Caesars that once stood in my home... so many of them are gone forever."

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:55 pm

Meadowfields wrote:Then I am a spammer considering that I CTE'd for a long time until April. I've made 4,300 posts overall in these three months.

Compared to you two I'm a snail lol. I think my forum-calculated average is <2 posts per day.
Last edited by Drongonia on Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Orwell Society
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:58 pm

Drongonia wrote:
The Orwell Society wrote:I've got over 1200 posts under my belt and I created this nation in May for RP purposes.

Compared to you two I'm a snail lol. I think my forum-calculated average is <2 posts per day.

16 for me. It reached a high of 19 and then I slowed down a bit
The Orwell Society

Meadowfields
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Meadowfields » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:58 pm

Drongonia wrote:
The Orwell Society wrote:I've got over 1200 posts under my belt and I created this nation in May for RP purposes.

that only counts non-f7 posts, but you would still have an average of 8. also, the averages don't really work. for example, i made 118 forum posts today (so far), but my forum average (even counting f7 posts) would be 12 (mainly because I CTE'D)
Drongonia wrote:Compared to you two I'm a snail lol. I think my forum-calculated average is <2 posts per day.

16 for me. It reached a high of 19 and then I slowed down a bit

You would have 17 if counting F7 posts.
Last edited by Meadowfields on Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male, they/he

Aureumterra III
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aureumterra III » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:32 pm

cliche: new thread smell posts

new thread smell
♔ The Empire of Aureumterra ♔

IIWiki
TL;DR Nordic Oppressive Absolute Empire
Maintainence Thread (Outdated)
Esvanovia, Ajax, etc. member

Bistritza
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Bistritza » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:44 pm

This isn't a cliche it's a trope but it's redundant enough that I'll mention it.
National military factbooks which are very detailed. Which is to say, they contain custom made models of small arms weapons which could realistically be designed by an actual factory; going so far to detail the perimeter of a gun's barrel size. It gives off the feeling that they're a military engineering drop-out or something.
This doesn't annoy me. It almost impresses me but the first vibe I get is being absolutely terrified of the user.
Main Nation | General Info | The Constitution | NSEconomy Stats | Military Info, Main and Puppets
Other nations | BeeStreetz, Political Parties, More Info | Bistritza TSP-MP Representative, The Regional Alliance
Mediums: Hard OOC; Soft OOC; Soft IC; Hard IC | The accounts' posts are rarely Hard OOC.

Sky Citadel
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 17, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Sky Citadel » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:48 pm

Bistritza wrote:This isn't a cliche it's a trope but it's redundant enough that I'll mention it.
National military factbooks which are very detailed. Which is to say, they contain custom made models of small arms weapons which could realistically be designed by an actual factory; going so far to detail the perimeter of a gun's barrel size. It gives off the feeling that they're a military engineering drop-out or something.
This doesn't annoy me. It almost impresses me but the first vibe I get is being absolutely terrified of the user.

For my next factbook we have a house suspiciously similar to the reader's.
Last edited by Sky Citadel on Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basically the Hawk Men from Flash Gordon | Queen Elektra | Overview | The Sky Citadel | Races
Totally not Gothian Crimea, definitely not them, why would you think I am them | As always NS stats not canon

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:53 pm

Meadowfields wrote:

That's one of the longest posts I've ever seen in the history of NS, except for WA proposals.

Clearly you've never seen a real textwall :P

Caitlinia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 25, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Caitlinia » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:02 am

Bistritza wrote:This isn't a cliche it's a trope but it's redundant enough that I'll mention it.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with it, but it's really common. A lot of nations kinda forgo political stuff just to (I guess) spend more time writing about the military. Kinda defeats the point of NationStates imo
The Republic of Caitlinia
Free and Proud!
Ex-British Colony, unshackled from the past. Social democracy in the Pacific.
He/him, 22, L[G]BT - Caitlinia somewhat reflects my irl beliefs.

Gonswanza
Senator

Founded: Aug 13, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gonswanza » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:12 am

Big cliche-

Over-reliance on the political compass. Yes, we get it, your queer leader is totes Libertarian Left, waw!

That ain't saying shit about what they actually believe in, or what their views truly are. Not everything is a plot point on some obscure chart that's more akin to a horoscope than an actual thing for gauging one's views.
Praise our glorious leader Laura Ortiz!
Yea, I sell things. Lots of things. KTO Member!
[GNN] Check [hyperlink blocked] for further instructions or [frequency blocked]. /// Finland holds off Russian advance, Baltic sea turned into a "bathtub from hell". /// Strange signals from space, likely a dysfunctional probe /// New body armor rolling off the line, onto Gonswanzan soldiers /// Canada declares war against the US after a bloody coup. /// Japan deploys infantry to Korea, post-unification.

Foehn Paramilitary Regions
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 01, 2021
Corporate Police State

Postby Foehn Paramilitary Regions » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:32 am

Gonswanza wrote:Big cliche-

Over-reliance on the political compass. Yes, we get it, your queer leader is totes Libertarian Left, waw!

That ain't saying shit about what they actually believe in, or what their views truly are. Not everything is a plot point on some obscure chart that's more akin to a horoscope than an actual thing for gauging one's views.

no no you see my leader has to be in this specific point of this political compass that is based on pretty much nothing I tell you what the fuck do you mean that the polcomp is useless for actually telling me things???

On another note, how about the classic "agrees, neutral, disagrees" trio that you tend to see on a lot of characters? I think that's useless as well (even if marginally less so than the polcomp solution), simply because it tries to simplify a person's political views to a mere trio of absolutes. I will say this: there's a good reason most iconic characters don't tend to do this by itself (and the ones that do are not exactly the kinds of people to have nuanced political views in the first place - and this is one of the few cases where I'd say that the trio is helpful).
= THE FOEHN PARAMILITARY REGIONS =
"The true enemy is still hiding in the shadows."
1986, Yuri's Epsilon Army is close to taking over the world, and a paramilitary organization tries to hold what's still free from his control.
A rewrite run-down clusterfuck of the Red Alert 2 mod Mental Omega. Run by the same guy behind Deustches Volksrepublik and Nova Chanaan. Factbooks work on a 3DS.
WARNING: Everything you see is a WIP, so if you remember something that no longer exists, that's why.
man the US in this timeline gon' look nice fr fr
Saving my arse here: no, this "nation" DOES NOT represent my views.
NS Stats have been executed via firing squad after being deemed as brainwashed.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Forum 7