NATION

PASSWORD

Does your nation have an extreme religious divide?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:22 pm

No. Eventhough Muslims are predominant in the Crowned Republic, the nation has always had a firm tradition of tolerance towards the other religious groups due to the multiethnic nature of the country.

New Kirrania
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kirrania » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:24 pm

No, we are a very religiously tolerant nation

Abarri
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 10, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Abarri » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:26 pm

Abarri does not have an extreme religious divide, thanks to an irreligious majority. Interestingly, religious Catholic and Protestant students in Abarrian universities widely practice and encourage ecumenism.
Click to see factbook entries. Please ignore the income tax rate provided by NS. Timeline is frozen at 2021.

Prefers The South Pacific. Spanish is not my native language. I often take things for granted. Green is my favorite color. Collects music CDs. A male who's an almost-libertarian. Nominal non-practicing Protestant. Eh, to heck with it, I'm unaffiliated. Poetaster.
How I found NS. Try not guessing where I reside.
We need to accept that there are things beyond our control.
Also, if having a letter in a flag is a sin, I'm your vexillographical sinner.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:34 pm

Not really. In the last century religious people were pretty systematically murdered by the communists, and the numbers never really recovered - even after democratisation, Radiatia remained a state atheist nation. (Although religion isn't banned - it's just discouraged.)

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:37 pm

There is no 'extreme religious divide' in Gandoor, predominantly because almost 70% of the population reports having no formal religious affiliation and, since the establishment of the modern Democratic Republic in 1904, our history of religious tolerance and secularism in society.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Augustan America
Attaché

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Augustan America » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:49 am

Yes. America is filled with religious divides, but none is more sharp than that between traditionalist Christians and Americanist Pagans. Though many former Christians converted to Americanism, roughly 36% of the country still is apart of some form of Christian sect. Discrimination and violence, despite being illegal, has occasionally been used by both Christians and Americanists in regions where one is dominant.
YEAR- MMCIV | 2104
PMT
Current Praesidis is Caesar Adams Divi Filus Augustus Dominicus
Political compass (Econ-Social)- -9.13, -9.59
PRO- ANTIFA, LGBTQ+ rights, Bernie, Frank Ocean, Travis Scott, Anarcho-Communism, Poltical Correctness, Brockhampton, Tyler the Creator, AOC
ANTI- USA/Russia/China governments, capitalism, Trump, Conservatism, Eminem, Lil Dicky, Centrism, Republican Party, Democrat Party, neoliberalism, fascism, Elon Musk

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:13 am

More than 90% of the population are members of the Church of Nortend, and any religious divide therein is comparatively minor.
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Vedastia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vedastia » Sat May 18, 2019 11:21 pm

There are numerous denominations of Christianity that have historically been opposed to one another (especially between Catholics and Calvinists in New Iberia), but Vedastia has become a nation tolerant of other faiths (for the most part) since independence.
Jan van der Stel, MP for Ouderkerk in the NS Parliament
Leader of the National Freedom Party - Freedom for Our People
Dinake wrote:
Zoice wrote:The far right is truly to blame. The left may lose ground to them, but they wouldn't be losing ground if there wasn't the far right in the first place calling for batshit insanity.
That's like saying "blockbuster wouldn't be losing ground to netflix if there wasn't any netflix".
Major-Tom wrote:
Risottia wrote:Reality has a left-wing bias.
God, if I had a nickel for every time I heard some smug internet warrior say this...

Saciu
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 28, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Saciu » Sat May 18, 2019 11:40 pm

Until the Mid 20th century, all religions except for Traditional Saquianism were banned, but these laws were rarely enforced, the last time a person being convicted for blasphemy being the Reclaiming of La Corona in the early 1800s. However, nowadays, most religions get along well. Saquianism is the second most common belief, at 21%, with irreligion claiming 52% of the population. 6% are Buddhist and Shinto each, with 2% going to Jewish, Hindi and Lautenne, another indigenous belief.
C'est Saciu, previously The South Pacific's most influential trans person (then my account got zucc'd)
Pro: idk. trans rights ig.Internationalism, liberalism, etc
Neutral: idk.
Anti: idk. Nationalism, populism etc about 90% of my opinions have changed since i was last here but now im basically globohomo

Political compass: 0.75, -8.31 lmao this was years ago im easily lib left according to when i last took it but also the compass is terrible
SC/EN-Saciu
FR/ES-Saquiu
PT/CA-Sáquio
IT-Sacchio
DE/SV/NL/PL/SW-Sakiu
AR-ساكيو
HI-साकिउ
RU-Сакиу
JA-さきう
EL-Σάκιο
BN-সাকিউ
ZH-撒库
TR: Sakyı

Zeganas
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeganas » Sun May 19, 2019 11:24 am

The United Republics of predominantly atheist, but the two largest religions, abrahamism and salisaro spiritualism, are at odds with one another because a lot of their values are opposite of one another, especially on things like homosexuality. Salisaro spiritualism is generally a more socially progressive religion. In the republic of Palanu this divide has reached a boiling point and there's religious conflicts in the republic.
My main IC factbook
My solar system factbook
My 4 sapient races/species factbook
INFJ (maybe), american, libertarian-left, worldbuilder, love music
I don't use NS stats.

Paraisouro
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 30, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paraisouro » Sun May 19, 2019 3:35 pm

There isn't much of a religious divide in Paraisouro. Christians make up 70% of the population, atheists/agnostics make up 16% and other religious (Judaism, Hinduism, etc) make up the remaining 14%. But everyone gets along with one another, there is a lot of religious freedom and tolerance in Paraisouro.

Quaeg
Attaché

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Quaeg » Sun May 19, 2019 3:41 pm

There is a divide, but not an extreme ones. There are people who take the philosophy of Ancestor Worship figuratively and people who take it literally.

- Figurativists believe that revering the ancestors is a spiritual act meant to bring one in harmony with their culture and shared history and to help one be thankful and content in a world that was built by past generations and to learn from the examples of the past to forge the future. This is more of a spiritual aspect.

- Literalists believe that the ghosts of the dead remain after their deaths and can influence the world of the living. They pray to them to bring good luck or to ask the ancestors to reveal omens and portents of the future. This is more of a superstitious aspect.

Ultimately, people tend to fall somewhere between the two.
So, this is where I write a signature. I'll replace this with something else later.
Quaeg's just a nation trying to make its way in the world. We're out-of-the-way, pleasant and overthrew the king in a violent revolt. Come and visit, everyone's welcome!
Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know it's completely irrelevent to your opinions on gender and sex
Overview. Just FYI, The flag's a sunset, not a sunrise, and the Quaeg is pronounced Kw-ay-g.

Madohomuland
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Madohomuland » Tue May 21, 2019 3:14 am

If you consider the 100% of Madokaists to 0% of anything else extreme then yes.

Meikaii
Attaché

Founded: May 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Meikaii » Tue May 21, 2019 3:25 am

Meikaii's people voted via referendum to criminalize religion and to set their own punishments for it, including the death penalty. So, no divide anymore and none shall come again.
Ashamed to be an American.
Saving up to escape. It's hard.
Trapped here against my will.
Love it or leave it?
Pay for it and I'll proudly leave.
It sucks having integrity and decency
When power doesn't.
{I rarely look at replies so enjoy shouting into the wind}

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Tue May 21, 2019 10:07 am

TurtleShroom has always been known for ecumenialism and harmony between Christian denominations. TurtleShroom is a Protestant nation, with a majority of its population being Baptists. However, the second-largest denomination, by far, is the Church of the Russian Old Believer Orthodoxy of TurtleShroom, which, as the name suggests, comprises of the pre-Niekas status of the Russian Orthodox Church.

The latter came shortly after the former established Missionary camps in what would become TurtleShroom, and they always had peace with one-another. The Orthodox Church in TS was never pleased with the Catholics, and are the reason the Catholic Church wasn't established in TurtleShroom until 1920 AD.

TurtleShroom's Constitution considers religious freedom and the rights to worship, to live according to one's faith, and to proselytize their faith to be the cornerstones of all civilized and free societies. Other than a short list of prohibited faiths, the general rule of the country is "anything goes".

The Constitution of TurtleShoom only bans a short list of religions: Scientology, Pastafarianism, Violetism, Satanism (both the Atheistic/LaVey sect and actual deification of Satan), sorcery or witchcraft, and the various Caananite and Babylonian pagan religions of old. Bans on human sacrifice and fraudulent practices disguised as religion (e.g. the "parody religions") are also enforced.

That isn't to say, though, that the people of TurtleShroom are uniformly tolerant to every religion that isn't banned. TurtleShroomers generally refuse to tolerate Islam unless it's the Sufi mystical sect found in Darussalam. The most common, non-slur term used to describe Muslims is "the demon seed of Ishmael". Sunni Islam and Shia Islam are extremely rare in the country and are actively opposed and kept out of TurtleShroom through subtle influences, local politics, and other such "behind the scenes" back scratching and backroom operations to keep them away. This is almost uniformly an effort taken by the private sector, the people, and other non-governmental organizations.

Due to the Constitution's provisions, the Crown does not and cannot openly, overtly, or directly influence anything against Islam, but soft power and persusaion without using state power goes a long way.
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Tue May 21, 2019 12:13 pm

No, as the majority of people (just over 50%) are irreligious, and the others are pretty peaceful about it.

The Great-German Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great-German Empire » Wed May 22, 2019 12:45 pm

In Germany, there is roughly a 39-22-33-4 split for Protestant, Catholic, Irreligious, Other. All of South Germany barring Württemberg, and considerable parts of western Germany, are historically Catholic (Note that here this includes Austria, Slovenia, Friaul and Alsace), but the amount of Catholics there has been eroded very significantly indeed by the Second Great War, fought against France and Italy, the latter of which had a rather clerical regime, and again after that as large swaths of the Catholic parts of Germany were controlled by Rudolf Honecker's Communist government, and subsequently served as the battleground in the battle between the Communists and the Loyalists in 1994's Civil War. Meanwhile the Protestants' numbers were bolstered by the large amounts of Africans living in the states of Gold Coast, South-West Africa and East Africa, whose then-colonial overlords promoted Protestantism as the one true faith throughout the entire colonial period.

Irreligious people have become a part of the mainstream and actually have a plurality in mainland Germany and an outright majority in the western states thereof, and the Protestants and Catholics don't really mind anymore, especially since most conservative policies have long since been detached from religion. There are debates now and then, but they rarely affect the lives of your average Hans.
IC Name: Empire of Germany
Just your friendly neighborhood Weltmacht. Und Doch Gang | NS Stats are not used. Q&A if you need it!
Pro/Anti, 8Values and other tests: Here
Unapologetic libertarian populist monarchism

Vossische Zeitung: The Chancellor, Baron Hartmann, announced in a rally that he will 'work tirelessly against the formation of a society of control' | Hungary edges out Germany 4-3 in Euro Cup final; Kaiser personally congratulates Hungarians for an 'exceptional' game | According to survey, 73% of Germans oppose an introduction of speed limits on major Autobahns

Scorpio Spikal
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Scorpio Spikal » Wed May 22, 2019 1:05 pm

Yes, there is no ban, but a massive split between Agnosticism and Atheism (68%) and Christianity (19%) + Islam (4%) + Hinduism (1%).
:kick abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
:ban 0123456789
Scorpio Spikal Federation - The Tropes
I just kicked the entire alphabet and all of the numbers from my Minecraft server.

Idoho
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Idoho » Wed May 22, 2019 2:37 pm

Officially no. The state manages all Christian religious sects through the Central Religious Committee. All other religions are banned and those caught practicing them or practicing no religion are forcibly converted or executed.

In reality these state actions have driven members of banned religions underground which has caused terrorist activity.

Luvria
Civil Servant

Founded: May 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Luvria » Wed May 22, 2019 8:18 pm

The majority of the country is nonreligious. With large and growing minority (now roughly 40% of the adult population) that follows the traditional Luviri faith of Khojhanism.

As the practitioners of the religion tend to be quietist and the nonreligious of the country generally have the same social values as religious practitioners, the divide causes no serious political tension.

The Imperial Roman Empire
Civilian

Founded: Nov 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Roman Empire » Wed May 22, 2019 8:19 pm

No altough in our middle eastern territories, the Jewish and Islamic populace have some issues
What if the Roman Empire never fell and made it to the 21st century?

Well, that is us

The Chromium Path
Civilian

Founded: May 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Chromium Path » Wed May 22, 2019 9:04 pm

Following the Chromium path is required to live in the nation
"The weakness of the flesh shall anchor you no longer"

This nation is a post-apocalypse new englend with high-technology

Political leanings (of user not nation)
-poll compass (Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97)
-8valueshttps://8values.github.io/results.html?e=65.2&d=63.8&g=56.5&s=79.2
-9axeshttps://9axes.github.io/results.html?a=30&b=55&c=90&d=55&e=65&f=60&g=80&h=100&i=35
-pollscaleshttp://www.politiscales.net/en_US/results/?s1=7&s0=62&m1=31&m0=48&c1=26&c0=40&e1=57&e0=26&femi=24&t1=12&t0=76&j0=29&j1=40&b1=10&b0=62&p1=29&p0=26&prag=100

Weimar Germany-
Lobbyist

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Weimar Germany- » Thu May 23, 2019 2:11 pm

It's not too extreme, but it's present.

The southern states, especially Bavaria, are significantly more catholic than the protestant northern states (especially the Free State of Prussia). However, Silesia and East Prussia have seen rising numbers of Atheism and Agnosticism in recent years.

Harmonic Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Harmonic Empire » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:13 am

the followers of Kristo in the north usually treated inhumane by people who against Kristo's human supremacy teaching.
| ♛ | HARMONIKSA RIKKEN | UNTEMAR | ♛ |
Story of Codex Ylvus will be rewritten and new story will be based on the War in Heaven.
Ase's Book - Eros's Book
Please be sure to check Terra Britania's works! | Someone awakaned me from my long stasis. | Up for a challenge? Just contact me.

West Sahara Company
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby West Sahara Company » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:38 am

The divide is clear, but nonviolent. The government is mostly Christian or atheist colonists, while the vast majority of the native populace is Muslim. No conflicts emerge due to very careful policies of tolerance by the government, but it's plain that they're different not only in religion, but culture.
The Sovereign West Sahara Company
Conquering backwater disputed territories for profit since 2019!
Glorious Leader

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information