NATION

PASSWORD

What Should be taught in Schools?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zurkir
Envoy

Founded: Mar 30, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Zurkir » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:38 pm

New haven america wrote:
Kubra wrote: Who the fuck knows what they want to do in the upper grades
There's even university majors for "I have no idea what to do"

Pretty much 1/2 of my graduating class already knew what they wanted.

Course, most of them were rich kids from well off families who could easily support any venture they undertook, so I don't think they're the example you're looking for. (Actually, a few of my classmates already owned their own businesses or helped their parents do their jobs by Junior Year)

I wanted to be a coach and teacher my senior year. Like with a vigor. Over the summer before I started college I then changed my mind to being solely a history teacher. After two semesters and seven classes I finally settled with a business degree. I feel like a lot of students walk a similarly comparable path leaving high school and going into college.
National Flag | Nation Overview | The Four Parties
սա ինչ լեզու է

F.T.W.D
It has never been “just a meme”.

Daily Historical Quote: “It is far better to be alone than in bad company.” -George Washington (So based and personally relatable.)

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:39 pm

I think there should be a class on basic home-repairs and skills. Like what to do if your toilet overflows.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:39 pm

THE REFORMED AMERICAN REPUBLIC wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:As someone with a strong interest in English, I think Shakespeare is horrifically overrated and I can't stand reading it. We have no good reason to put as much emphasis on him as we do.

You just hate anything cultural.

Now that's just not true. I'm fascinated by culture. Endemic customs, architecture, art, and literature.

I just hate U.S. culture and Shakespeare.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:40 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Lumio Magika wrote:Side note, congrats on that PhD, Gon.

And now for my relevant contribution. This is based on my own school experience, so I can't guarantee this is a universal problem. I find that my school, at least, has a complete lack of support for students that wish to pursue the psychological field. When I informed the administrator that I wanted to change my major to study psychology during my sophomore year, I was told that the best they had was General Healthcare, which, while relevant, does not provide that same level of support and learning as a class dedicated to psychology. As I'm sure most people can agree, the realm of psychological study has steadily been growing in importance amidst an immense spike of mental conditions. Depression runs rampant among the younger generation, which, for some, is debilitating enough to warrant the addled thought of suicide. For my entire life, I have been painfully aware of this, which led to me dedicating my life to the pursuit of psychology. Because of this, it is deeply troubling that schools such as mine (a large public school in a major city) would not value or support the study of psychology.

I am not sure how feasible it would be to teach psychology to high school students, but then I know next to nothing about first year psychology courses.
Risottia wrote:I think that up to their third year in school, kids should only be taught and evaluated about one language and maths, that is the two skills that enable people to learn everything else. Two hours of maths, two hours of first language, every day.
All other activities (music, drawing, other languages,...) should be in the form of play.

Kids tend to have short attention spans, I don't think this would work for them. Unless you do not mean 2 hours straight.

I learned psych in HS.

Most of it generally had to do with the human nervous system, active vs. passive thought and the biological and philosophical reasoning behind the 2, and mental disorders and how they develop.

It was actually a lot simpler than it may sound, but provided a good base for for things like college psych (Which I also took).
Last edited by New haven america on Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:41 pm

Zurkir wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:As someone with a strong interest in English, I think Shakespeare is horrifically overrated and I can't stand reading it. We have no good reason to put as much emphasis on him as we do.

That’s not entirely fair. Hamlet for example is a gem. IMO.

It's better than Romeo and Juliet, I'll give it that much
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:45 pm

Zurkir wrote:
New haven america wrote:Pretty much 1/2 of my graduating class already knew what they wanted.

Course, most of them were rich kids from well off families who could easily support any venture they undertook, so I don't think they're the example you're looking for. (Actually, a few of my classmates already owned their own businesses or helped their parents do their jobs by Junior Year)

I wanted to be a coach and teacher my senior year. Like with a vigor. Over the summer before I started college I then changed my mind to being solely a history teacher. After two semesters and seven classes I finally settled with a business degree. I feel like a lot of students walk a similarly comparable path leaving high school and going into college.

Not in my case.

Most of my former classmates graduated early and are working in jobs they wanted since HS. (Again, it helps having well off parents who can get you connections and experience you wouldn't have otherwise)
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:50 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
THE REFORMED AMERICAN REPUBLIC wrote:You just hate anything cultural.

Now that's just not true. I'm fascinated by culture. Endemic customs, architecture, art, and literature.

Sure.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:54 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:Shakespeare. Seriously, Shakespeare is lit! I am biased because I'm an English nerd, but, like, Shakespeare is a staple of Western culture. (Not that Eastern culture shouldn't be taught.)

And life skills like personal finance that relate to adulting.

And history. No political agenda, just the facts--with everything up for analysis.

As someone with a strong interest in English, I think Shakespeare is horrifically overrated and I can't stand reading it. We have no good reason to put as much emphasis on him as we do.

Shakespeare just needs to be taught better. Granted, teaching Shakespeare better starts with not taking him as seriously as the stereotypical middle-HS English teacher does, and pointing out the dick jokes in every scene.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:02 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
THE REFORMED AMERICAN REPUBLIC wrote:You just hate anything cultural.

Me, a person who has interests in US history/presidents (while understanding both the positive and negative aspects) and Shakespeare (especially Hamlet [Like, I literally took words from Hamlet's soliloquy to form my nation name] [No ragrets, baby]):

Zurkir wrote:
Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:HELL YES.
FELLOW HAMLET FAN DETECTED.

Necroghastia wrote:

Shakespeare just needs to be taught better. Granted, teaching Shakespeare better starts with not taking him as seriously as the stereotypical middle-HS English teacher does, and pointing out the dick jokes in every scene.

Exactly.
There's a Tumblr post or something that taught me that "nothing" is an innuendo. I will not post what it means here, but it makes the King Lear quote "Nothing comes from nothing" raunchy as all get-out.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:04 pm

If schools want to be free of religious influence, they should stop trying to push secular values down kids' throats and stop sitting on their double-standard high-horse. Teach concepts side by side or leave it to the home. It's like the people who write these curriculums are free from judgement just because they happen to be on the side of 'what's the new norm', encouraging the downfall of religious values to give way to earthly affairs. I see those posts.
The Spiritual Republic of Caryton
(CARYTON VIDEO)
A serene & puritan 80s-90s tech agrarian Christian fundamentalist nation with no separation between church and state. Wide prairies, fertile plains, archaic clothing, clean skies, lack of modern influence, universal prohibition, kind societies, and simple austere lives forge the Carytonic identity.
Music of Caryton: [8-29-22] Classic Carytonic Sing-Along Hymns

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:05 pm

Nothing. Just give kids above the age of 6 a backpack and send them off into the forest for the school year. Sure, they might not be literate but the ones that come back will be pretty damn resourceful.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:05 pm

Spiritual Republic of Caryton wrote:If schools want to be free of religious influence, they should stop trying to push secular values down kids' throats and stop sitting on their double-standard high-horse. Teach concepts side by side or leave it to the home. It's like the people who write these curriculums are free from judgement just because they happen to be on the side of 'what's the new norm', encouraging the downfall of religious values to give way to earthly affairs. I see those posts.

:clap: :clap:
Let kids formulate their own opinions instead of pushing your opinions onto them.
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Diplomat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:05 pm

Drongonia wrote:Nothing. Just give kids above the age of 6 a backpack and send them off into the forest for the school year. Sure, they might not be literate but the ones that come back will be pretty damn resourceful.

Drongonia is anprim confirmed? :eek:
(CARYTON VIDEO)
A serene & puritan 80s-90s tech agrarian Christian fundamentalist nation with no separation between church and state. Wide prairies, fertile plains, archaic clothing, clean skies, lack of modern influence, universal prohibition, kind societies, and simple austere lives forge the Carytonic identity.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:08 pm

Spiritual Republic of Caryton wrote:If schools want to be free of religious influence, they should stop trying to push secular values down kids' throats and stop sitting on their double-standard high-horse. Teach concepts side by side or leave it to the home. It's like the people who write these curriculums are free from judgement just because they happen to be on the side of 'what's the new norm', encouraging the downfall of religious values to give way to earthly affairs. I see those posts.

You don't know what secularism is.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Diplomat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:09 pm

New haven america wrote:

You don't know what secularism is.

From the constant controversies I see on the media and my own personal experience, I think I do.
(CARYTON VIDEO)

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:14 pm

Spiritual Republic of Caryton wrote:
New haven america wrote:You don't know what secularism is.

From the constant controversies I see on the media and my own personal experience, I think I do.

Secularism is separating religious from public/state run institutions and treating all religious (Or lack there of) beliefs equally, including but not limited to: Christianity, Atheism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, etc...
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Diplomat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:15 pm

New haven america wrote:

Secularism is separating religious from public/state run institutions and treating all religious (Or lack there of) beliefs equally, including but not limited to: Christianity, Atheism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, etc...

Oh heck, I mixed that up big time. I meant to say if the schools are to be so strongly secular in the first place, they've got no place to try to dismantle the beliefs of its students. That's on me for my bad vocabulary :?
(CARYTON VIDEO)

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:24 pm

New haven america wrote:Secularism is separating religious from public/state run institutions and treating all religious (Or lack there of) beliefs equally, including but not limited to: Christianity, Atheism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, etc...

Oh heck, I mixed that up big time. I meant to say if the schools are to be so strongly secular in the first place, they've got no place to try to dismantle the beliefs of its students. That's on me for my bad vocabulary :?

You probably were referring to cases of militant anti-religious indoctrination of students in schools--I may need to find evidence of this, though.

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:27 pm

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:

You probably were referring to cases of militant anti-religious indoctrination of students in schools--I may need to find evidence of this, though.

To be fair, for every hardline religious extremist there's a militant atheist reddit-tier "you can't have religious opinions because that's dumb" person. Neither of those people should be teaching children about anything.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:28 pm

Drongonia wrote:
Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:You probably were referring to cases of militant anti-religious indoctrination of students in schools--I may need to find evidence of this, though.

To be fair, for every hardline religious extremist there's a militant atheist reddit-tier "you can't have religious opinions because that's dumb" person. Neither of those people should be teaching children about anything.

Yup.

Zurkir
Envoy

Founded: Mar 30, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Zurkir » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:31 pm

Drongonia wrote:
Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:You probably were referring to cases of militant anti-religious indoctrination of students in schools--I may need to find evidence of this, though.

We have a few of those here. Both of those extremes are equally as bad. One forces their own religion on others while the other thinks all religion should be expunged and any who endorse any sort of religion should be punished.
National Flag | Nation Overview | The Four Parties
սա ինչ լեզու է

F.T.W.D
It has never been “just a meme”.

Daily Historical Quote: “It is far better to be alone than in bad company.” -George Washington (So based and personally relatable.)

The H Corporation
Minister

Anarchy

Postby The H Corporation » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:34 pm

All of you have great ideas!!

Here in Mexico education needs a reform :P

The school needs to teach actual things that would help a person get a job of the career of his preference (Literally the hardest thing is not school but how to find a job), a complete overhaul of how to teach History since many things were censored to not hurt National Heroes and blame everything to the 'Villains' of our history (EX. Benito definitely made efforts to help Mexico but he was about to become a dictator just like Porfirio Diaz who made Mexico prosper in many ways but in history books he is made the villain of the story focusing mostly on the bad things he did, forgetting all of his work as a general in the French Intervention of Mexico and other stuff as well), more efforts in teaching foreign languages (You only study the basics of English and very low amounts of people have the privilege to actually being taught English at it's fullest (Like me) and same goes to adding more languages to teach like French, Chinese, German! You are lucky if you managed to become Bilingual sadly :( ), give proper S*xED (No need to explain someone probably knows what I am talking about (Censuring because reasons)), it could be awesome if schools give free psychological counseling for the people who need it! (This to reduce the amount of suicides or even to prevent shootings in schools. This will also help the students who can't afford a psychologist).

And I ran out of ideas :P
Welcome to The H Corporation
Money is everything, whether you like it or not
You don't like dark theme? Well good luck reading this >:D
Just a Mexican o((>ω< ))o. Talks nonsense whenever possible and loves cats. Cats are cute (^///^). Still writing Factbooks. If I cared about politics then I wouldn't need to visit 8values. "Life is like a rollercoaster, you have to pay to ride it" This nation does not represent my views and it will never do. College is hard, you know what else is hard? Life. Now making flags: Here! Callista's Best Politician and RPer!!
8values RightValues LeftValues 9axes
You want some lore? Here take this Not finished Lore (Heavy WIP) I am not lazy to finish it, I am just waiting for you to finish reading
Is a Corporation scary for you?
Boo!

Diplomat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:40 pm

I'd refer to the 'france bans hijabs for under 18s' thread. Although it's only indirectly related to education, it's still an example
Last edited by Spiritual Republic of Caryton on Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(CARYTON VIDEO)

Madrinpoor
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020

Postby Madrinpoor » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:44 pm

Rational thinking skills, and how to form your own opinions instead of teachers giving it to you. And then other life skills, like driving and taxes. And maybe how to do some trades, like sewing or fixing cars. As an elective maybe? There should also be sex ed. And basic science, religious schools shouldn't be able to not teach science. That's idiotic. Also there should be a non-Westerncentric history. A non-US praising history that shows how issues have many sides and allows students to take their own side and make their own opinions. There should be civil discourse and debate, and students should learn how to do those.
MT City-state off the coast of Japan: Sumo wrestling, tech startups, Shintō mobs, gay marriage, Bōsōzuku, taiko drums, zokusha cars, neon signs, skyscrapers, Yakuza, internet, Christians, teen biker gangs, international treaties, inter-city canals, rooftop gardens, Samurai, Internet Explorer, canned beer, and a Shogun. 2002 C.E.
Yooper High Kingdom wrote:If I could describe Mandrinpoor with one word, it would be this: Slick.
Nevertopia wrote:Madrinpoor? More like madrinWEALTH be upon your family, may your days be happy and your burdens be light.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

Diplomat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:48 pm

Madrinpoor wrote:Rational thinking skills, and how to form your own opinions instead of teachers giving it to you. And then other life skills, like driving and taxes. And maybe how to do some trades, like sewing or fixing cars. As an elective maybe? There should also be sex ed. And basic science, religious schools shouldn't be able to not teach science. That's idiotic. Also there should be a non-Westerncentric history. A non-US praising history that shows how issues have many sides and allows students to take their own side and make their own opinions. There should be civil discourse and debate, and students should learn how to do those.

So you want people to make their own opinions but you don't want religious people to be educated the way they want so they can strengthen their own opinions.

Seems legit.
(CARYTON VIDEO)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General