NATION

PASSWORD

Should this Federal shutdown be made permanent?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should this Federal shutdown be made permanent?

Yes
22%
Some other time
3%
No
65%
Joke option
9%

Total votes : 348

Calixs
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Calixs » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:07 am

Divair wrote:
Norstal wrote:So that Texans can finally abolish science and begin learning about good ol' Christian education like creationism.

You think it's a joke until you realize OP has argued that teaching evolution goes against religious people's rights in the past.

Really?

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:07 am

Havenburgh wrote:america is going to hit the default button, making it an hell hole, then become an bureaucracy. sucks to be you guys.

Yeah, and then we're going to bring down the global economy with us.

Sucks to be you guys.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Hopeless
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hopeless » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:07 am

Genivaria wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:What makes you think the the new nation formed from the catastrophic dissolution of the US would be a member of NATO?

Hell NATO likely wouldn't exist with it's largest backer dissolved.
The EU would likely find itself with great incentive to integrate quickly and form their own standing army before the Russians get any ideas.

NATO is a lot like the UN in that it is a loose and weak confederation like entity, unanimous decisions have almost never happened, current two party politics have shown that lol. Maybe a federal Atlantic Union would be a better solution.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:07 am

Genivaria wrote:
Divair wrote:You think it's a joke until you realize OP has argued that teaching evolution goes against religious people's rights in the past.

Oh don't worry, all the liberals will move to California where we will start our reunification of the US.
Without the creationist influence of course.

Too bad everything from California to Texas will be knee deep in red zone Tiberium infestations.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 am

Strana Mechty wrote:Its only 20 percent of the federal labor force. I think this shutdown was tailored to be as much of a pain as possible. Why divert park workers to man barricades at open air monuments?

... Because if anything was done to damage said monuments, they can't be repaired until the shutdown is over, when repair crews are allowed back to work?

Strana Mechty wrote:Why kick people who lease federal land off of that land?

Same reason, probably.

Strana Mechty
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Strana Mechty » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:09 am

Priory Academy USSR wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Hell NATO likely wouldn't exist with it's largest backer dissolved.
The EU would likely find itself with great incentive to integrate quickly and form their own standing army before the Russians get any ideas.

Not really necessary. The Big Four of Europe combined have (roughly) twice the military budget of Russia. And that's if the Russians are even willing to invade an EU country.

The EU would need to get rid of the money pit I mean Greece first.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:09 am

Draakonite wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I'm starting to doubt you have any fucking clue what I'm talking about.
Texas. Does. Not. Have. The. Launch. Codes.
Do. You. Comprehend?

The Officers of the federal army, stationed in texas, have them. If the federal government can't collect taxes anymore, and not pay them, they would have a reason to defect, apart from pure state patrioism.

Please stop making shit up when you clearly haven't a fucking clue what you're talking about.
Only the President of the US has the codes and they must be confirmed by the Secretary of Defense.
Please fucking educate yourself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:11 am

Divair wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Oh don't worry, all the liberals will move to California where we will start our reunification of the US.

You mean the glorious state of Washington.

The Democratic Alliance to Restore America?

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:12 am

Strana Mechty wrote:
Priory Academy USSR wrote:
Not really necessary. The Big Four of Europe combined have (roughly) twice the military budget of Russia. And that's if the Russians are even willing to invade an EU country.

The EU would need to get rid of the money pit I mean Greece first.

I doubt Greece would cause European nations' military to weaken.

Anyway, we're starting to derail the thread here.
Call me what you will. Some people prefer 'Idiot'
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Vault 1
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:14 am

Divair wrote:You think it's a joke until you realize OP has argued that teaching evolution goes against religious people's rights in the past.

If I remember correctly, I argued for "creation science" against "evolutionism" and did it solely as a debating exercise, hinting plenty of times and openly saying at least once that I parodied the creationists, not supported them.

Hopeless wrote:NATO is a lot like the UN in that it is a loose and weak confederation like entity, unanimous decisions have almost never happened, current two party politics have shown that lol. Maybe a federal Atlantic Union would be a better solution.

NATO exists for the purposes of mutual defense, not as a whip for US to swing around. At least not in concept. So why should there be unanimous decisions to attack yet more foreign nations?
An agreement like NATO is sufficient to repel any degree of aggression; and that's all it needs to do.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:16 am

Divair wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Oh don't worry, all the liberals will move to California where we will start our reunification of the US.

You mean the glorious state of Washington.

You mean Cascadia.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:17 am

Arglorand wrote:
Divair wrote:You mean the glorious state of Washington.

You mean Cascadia.

The Neo-Iriquous Confederacy. *nods*

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:17 am

Arglorand wrote:
Divair wrote:You mean the glorious state of Washington.

You mean Cascadia.

That's where I was heading with this idea.

Strana Mechty
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Strana Mechty » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:18 am

Vault 1 wrote:

If I remember correctly, I argued for "creation science" against "evolutionism" and did it solely as a debating exercise, hinting plenty of times and openly saying at least once that I parodied the creationists, not supported them.

Hopeless wrote:NATO is a lot like the UN in that it is a loose and weak confederation like entity, unanimous decisions have almost never happened, current two party politics have shown that lol. Maybe a federal Atlantic Union would be a better solution.

NATO exists for the purposes of mutual defense, not as a whip for US to swing around. At least not in concept. So why should there be unanimous decisions to attack yet more foreign nations?
An agreement like NATO is sufficient to repel any degree of aggression; and that's all it needs to do.

Creation science? Please state what that is, I've never heard of it.

Hopeless
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hopeless » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:18 am

Vault 1 wrote:

For one i do not see Libya was an act of mutual defense, that was an aggressive act to aid people, combining economic, scientific and demographic strengths as a Federation is a vast improvement over a Confederation, as countries in Confederations are at odds with one another, history of NATO countries are not rosy, and though history does not repeat itself, it does Rhyme. The other point to note it makes it a lot easier to coordinate, as you may recall 13 armies in the original 13 colonies that were in the original confederation was united into one force under the federal government by the constitution.
Last edited by Hopeless on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graknopia
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Graknopia » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:19 am

Draakonite wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I'm starting to doubt you have any fucking clue what I'm talking about.
Texas. Does. Not. Have. The. Launch. Codes.
Do. You. Comprehend?

The Officers of the federal army, stationed in texas, have them. If the federal government can't collect taxes anymore, and not pay them, they would have a reason to defect, apart from pure state patrioism.
lol, washigton is evil for with-holding my check, fire the nukes to kill them and millions of people!

Anywaya, bad idea to be honeat.
2% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 98% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:20 am

Strana Mechty wrote:
Vault 1 wrote:If I remember correctly, I argued for "creation science" against "evolutionism" and did it solely as a debating exercise, hinting plenty of times and openly saying at least once that I parodied the creationists, not supported them.

Creation science? Please state what that is, I've never heard of it.

Creationism.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Should this Federal shutdown be made permanent?

Postby Alien Space Bats » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:20 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:Why are local governments better than federal?

They're demonstrably easier for the rich to buy off.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:22 am

Vault 1 wrote:What do you think - is this shutdown actually an opportunity in disguise?

I'm guessing in your study of history you skipped over The Articles of Confederation as well as The Federalist Papers.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Draakonite
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Draakonite » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:22 am

Genivaria wrote:
Draakonite wrote:

Please stop making shit up when you clearly haven't a fucking clue what you're talking about.
Only the President of the US has the codes and they must be confirmed by the Secretary of Defense.

The president doesn't have the activation code for every signle nuclear warhead. He has an authorization code, that is send to the particular locations. On a submarine, the activation codes are stored in the submarine.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:23 am

Draakonite wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Please stop making shit up when you clearly haven't a fucking clue what you're talking about.

The president doesn't have the activation code for every signle nuclear warhead. He has an authorization code, that is send to the particular locations. On a submarine, the activation codes are stored in the submarine.

The activation codes on site are useless without the president's authorization code.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:25 am

Vault 1 wrote:A shutdown federal government isn't going to start yet another BS war no one needs.
A shutdown federal government means internal espionage programs are suspended.

The United States government would stop paying the electric bill in the Capitol before they'd give up war or espionage.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Hopeless
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hopeless » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:26 am

>:(
Dyakovo wrote:
Strana Mechty wrote:Creation science? Please state what that is, I've never heard of it.

Creationism.

With a scientific lingo

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:29 am

Lets hope not.
I've retired from the forums.

Hopeless
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hopeless » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:31 am

Page wrote:
Vault 1 wrote:A shutdown federal government isn't going to start yet another BS war no one needs.
A shutdown federal government means internal espionage programs are suspended.

The United States government would stop paying the electric bill in the Capitol before they'd give up war or espionage.

Plus the states would starts spying on their own in a short while.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General