NATION

PASSWORD

Singer of One Hit Wonder Prevented World War Three

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:59 am

greed and death wrote:
The Archregimancy wrote:

The link in the OP contains a 30 second audio clip from a radio interview with Sir Michael Jackson confirming Mr. Blunt's account, and referring to Mr. Blunt by name.

This isn't a new story though; it's been doing the round for years, and the OP link is from an interview Blunt gave in 2010.

Here's a newspaper version of the same story from the same year: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 34203.html

Captain Blount - as he then was - was a captain in the Life Guards in 1999, and was the lead officer at the head of the NATO column advancing on Pristina airfield. This is a matter of public record which can be checked by anyone with the inclination.

However, note that it's not so much that he personally refused to carry out Wesley Clark's order, but rather that he queried the order and then stalled for long enough for Sir Michael Jackson to countermand the order.

Blunt / Blount claims he would have refused to carry out Clark's order anyway; there's some room for speculation on that point - and our American cousins might well query the bit about "a victory for British common sense" - but otherwise the account is entirely factual.

Blunt was a recon officer, he questioned the continued validity of an order to recon and gain a foothold when the airfield was occupied by Russians. Since British Junior officers require more hand holding it took a British General to explain that if you can not occupy it do the next best thing and encircle it.

Not really, no.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:07 am

Farnhamia wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Blunt was a recon officer, he questioned the continued validity of an order to recon and gain a foothold when the airfield was occupied by Russians. Since British Junior officers require more hand holding it took a British General to explain that if you can not occupy it do the next best thing and encircle it.

Not really, no.

*Yawn* can't trust British sources they are not gun ho enough to understand American Generals.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:19 am

Meh. Russia wouldn't have gone to war over an incident with 200 soldiers.

Not unless they threatened to gay marry them, or something.
My humor is like church wine: dry and tasteless.
If you are not sure if I am being serious, assume that I am not.

Summer is coming...

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:28 am

My camo's brilliant.
My aim is pure.
I saw a contigent.
Of that I'm sure.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Surfistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Surfistan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:30 am

That's beautiful, it's true.

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:30 am

West Faristan2 wrote:James Blunt and Micheal Jackson prevented World War III? There is nothing about this story that isn't friggin awesome.

Indeed

Dyakovo wrote:
I see no reason to believe James Blunt's account of what happened.

How I larfed.

Purpelia wrote:And this is why we can't have nice things.

Well I think we can...the bad guys however perhaps not so much...?

The Parkus Empire wrote:Smells like bullshit.

'fraid not.

Risottia wrote:

The bit about the rush for the Pristina airport and Sir Mike telling Clarke to go jump in the lake is valid and confirmed.
Dunno about mr.Blunt himself.

Indeed. As for Mr Blunt...in charge of a recon squadron from the Life Guards. A captain I believe.

The Archregimancy wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:I see no reason to believe James Blunt's account of what happened.

Risottia wrote:The bit about the rush for the Pristina airport and Sir Mike telling Clarke to go jump in the lake is valid and confirmed.
Dunno about mr.Blunt himself.

The link in the OP contains a 30 second audio clip from a radio interview with Sir Michael Jackson confirming Mr. Blunt's account, and referring to Mr. Blunt by name.

This isn't a new story though; it's been doing the round for years, and the OP link is from an interview Blunt gave in 2010.

Here's a newspaper version of the same story from the same year: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 34203.html

Captain Blount - as he then was - was a captain in the Life Guards in 1999, and was the lead officer at the head of the NATO column advancing on Pristina airfield. This is a matter of public record which can be checked by anyone with the inclination.

However, note that it's not so much that he personally refused to carry out Wesley Clark's order, but rather that he queried the order and then stalled for long enough for Sir Michael Jackson to countermand the order.

"The direct command [that] came in from General Wesley Clark was to overpower them," he said. "Various words were used that seemed unusual to us. Words such as 'destroy' came down the radio. We had 200 Russians lined up pointing their weapons at us aggressively ... and we'd been told to reach the airfield and take a hold of it. That's why we were querying our instruction." The end result was a victory for British common sense. "Fortunately," Blunt recalled, "up on the radio came General Sir Mike Jackson [commander of the British forces], whose words were, 'I'm not going to have my soldiers start World War Three.' He told us, 'Why don't we encircle the airfield instead?'

Blunt / Blount claims he would have refused to carry out Clark's order anyway; there's some room for speculation on that point - and our American cousins might well query the bit about "a victory for British common sense" - but otherwise the account is entirely factual.

Indeed not a new story...interesting nonetheless. As for British common sense...I believe the encircling enabled a peaceful deescalation of a situation that would have gone badly awry had the Para's gone in gun blazing. I still hold that Clarke completely lost the plot when he gave the order to attack the Russians.

Battenburgia wrote:it's so sad that a man who has the guts to flick the Vs at the mad americans has his name used as rhyming slang for a lady's whoo-haa :(

It has a certain ring to it...

Fartsniffage wrote:
The Archregimancy wrote:This isn't a new story though; it's been doing the round for years, and the OP link is from an interview Blunt gave in 2010.

James Blunt talked about this when he was on Top Gear years back. 2007 now I've looked it up.

Yeah he was and they did talk about his time in Kosovo...mainly about his guitar being strapped on the outside of his Saracen :lol:

Cyborg Holland wrote:James Blunt? World War Three? Gotta be joke in there somewhere...

I'll edit in a pun when I think of one...

Need to add in his singing career as well surely?

Tlik wrote:
Cyborg Holland wrote:James Blunt? World War Three? Gotta be joke in there somewhere...

I'll edit in a pun when I think of one...

I'll be blunt here, I don't think there are any.

Perhaps not! :lol:

L Ron Cupboard wrote:So I am guessing he has a new album coming out soon. If he has I don't really think the BBC should have run this story.

Did he change his name from Blount so that it rhymed better?

No idea...just popped up on my news feed...

Ailiailia wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
James Blunt talked about this when he was on Top Gear years back. 2007 now I've looked it up.

I was thinking "James Blunt? Is he a credible source?" but now that you assure me it was on Top Gear! That's some major cred right there.

Well that and he was the officer in charge of the op to get Pristina airport...

Ailiailia wrote:
L Ron Cupboard wrote:So I am guessing he has a new album coming out soon. If he has I don't really think the BBC should have run this story.

Did he change his name from Blount so that it rhymed better?

Perhaps concerned that with that spelling fans might mistake him for Blondie.

Except Blondie made far more enjoyable music ;)

Frisbeeteria wrote:I was totally expecting to get RickRolled when I clicked the link in the OP.

Not funny. You have no idea of my utter and complete hatred of anything Astley. Never ever, even in jest, suggest that I would do something as heinous as that. There is a special place in hell reserved for him. Well there would if I believed in hell. Actually if there was it would sufficient for me to renounce my atheism.

Fartsniffage wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:
I was thinking "James Blunt? Is he a credible source?" but now that you assure me it was on Top Gear! That's some major cred right there.

I was addressing the age of the story, not its veracity. As you well know....

Edit - Hah, just looked at the date of the BBC article...... 14 November 2010 Last updated at 13:24

yeah it is an old one...but still does not negate the debate...

The Blue Flag Republic wrote:Wow. I didn't know that!

NSG - better than University!

Ailiailia wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:I was totally expecting to get RickRolled when I clicked the link in the OP.

Um ... did http://www.bbc.co.uk arouse suspicion?

Fartsniffage wrote:
I was addressing the age of the story, not its veracity.

Yeah, I was farting around.

Top Gear have broken some genuine stories, more I think by the good intentions of their guests than any journalistic skill or background research on their part. For that matter, the hosts aren't as gormless as they seem, they have researchers.

Like the Mexican "supercar"?

Aequalitia wrote:Core of this story: Making from something small to a major story who does it good in the newspapers. No matter what he did, he would never cause a major war.

errrr....

Terrordome wrote:So he was ordered to kill the Russians facing him, he saw their faces, in a crowded place.

And he did not know what to do.

Is that a lyric?

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Tlik wrote:I'll be blunt here, I don't think there are any.

Reality sometimes looks like a Monty Python sketch. This situation pretty much was its own pun, even though I'm not entirely sure how that even works.

I reckon we'll find out shortly....

Condunum wrote:
Aequalitia wrote:Core of this story: Making from something small to a major story who does it good in the newspapers. No matter what he did, he would never cause a major war.

So you can say with absolute faith in your words that leading as assault on 200 Russian soldiers would not have sparked a large international incident, possibly a war between superpowers?

Evidently!

Ailiailia wrote:
Terrordome wrote:So he was ordered to kill the Russians facing him, he saw their faces, in a crowded place.

No ... if we believe him, he knew what not to do.

Trenchfoot has infected your brain if you can't tell the difference.

mmmm trenchfoot! tasty!

Tlik wrote:Hurdegaryp

Hurdegaryp - yep there we go :rofl:
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:Seems that James Blunt, singer of a world wide hit "You're Beautiful" refused an order from Wesley Clarke to attack a Russian contingent that was holding an airport during the dark days of the Kosovo war.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11753050

Singer James Blunt 'prevented World War III'

Singer James Blunt has told the BBC how he refused an order to attack Russian troops when he was a British soldier in Kosovo. Blunt said he was willing to risk a court martial by rejecting the order from a US General.

But he was backed by British Gen Sir Mike Jackson, who said: "I'm not going to have my soldiers be responsible for starting World War III."

Blunt was ordered to seize an airfield, but the Russians had got there first.

In an interview with BBC Radio 5 live, broadcast on Sunday, he said: "I was given the direct command to overpower the 200 or so Russians who were there.

"The soldiers directly behind me were from the Parachute Regiment, so they're obviously game for the fight.

"The direct command [that] came in from Gen Wesley Clark was to overpower them. Various words were used that seemed unusual to us. Words such as 'destroy' came down the radio."

The confusion surrounding the taking of Pristina airfield in 1999 has been written about in political memoirs, and was widely reported at the time.

But this is the first time Blunt has given an account of his role in the incident.

Blunt, who was at the head of a column of 30,000 Nato troops with his unit, told Pienaar's Politics it was a "mad situation".

He said he had been "party to the conversation" between senior officers in which Gen Clark had ordered the attack.

"We had 200 Russians lined up pointing their weapons at us aggressively, which was... and you know we'd been told to reach the airfield and take a hold of it.

"And if we had a foothold there then it would make life much easier for the Nato forces in Pristina. So there was a political reason to take hold of this.

"And the practical consequences of that political reason would be then aggression against the Russians."
Court martial

Asked if following the order would have risked starting World War III, Blunt, who was a 25-year-old cavalry officer at the time, replied: "Absolutely. And that's why we were querying our instruction from an American general.

"Fortunately, up on the radio came Gen Mike Jackson, whose exact words at the time were, 'I'm not going to have my soldiers be responsible for starting World War III', and told us why don't we sugar off down the road, you know, encircle the airfield instead.

"And after a couple of days the Russians there said: 'Hang on we have no food and no water. Can we share the airfield with you?'."

If Gen Jackson had not blocked the order from Gen Clark, who as Nato Supreme Commander Europe was his superior officer, Blunt said he would still have declined to follow it, even at the risk of a court martial.

He said: "There are things that you do along the way that you know are right, and those that you absolutely feel are wrong, that I think it's morally important to stand up against, and that sense of moral judgement is drilled into us as soldiers in the British army."

Blunt left the Army in 2002 to pursue a career in music, later scoring a worldwide hit with You're Beautiful.

Well there you have it...good old British professionalism trumps Rambo-esque shoot first ask questions later.

Also another great example that US military leaders tend towards the fucking nuts side of the spectrum. Still had been Westmoreland in charge he's have done a MacArthur. So for the purposes of debate...is it good that Clarke's subordinate General Mike Jackson told Blunt to ignore the direct order given from Clarke to attack the Russians?

Needless to say I would be of the mind that it was. I would also say that Clarke should have been relieved from duty pending a "are fucking insane?" evaluation.

I believe that "one hit wonder" refers to the singer not the song.
whatever

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:Seems that James Blunt, singer of a world wide hit "You're Beautiful" refused an order from Wesley Clarke to attack a Russian contingent that was holding an airport during the dark days of the Kosovo war.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11753050

Well there you have it...good old British professionalism trumps Rambo-esque shoot first ask questions later.

Also another great example that US military leaders tend towards the fucking nuts side of the spectrum. Still had been Westmoreland in charge he's have done a MacArthur. So for the purposes of debate...is it good that Clarke's subordinate General Mike Jackson told Blunt to ignore the direct order given from Clarke to attack the Russians?

Needless to say I would be of the mind that it was. I would also say that Clarke should have been relieved from duty pending a "are fucking insane?" evaluation.

I believe that "one hit wonder" refers to the singer not the song.

Would also be a good nickname if he was a sniper.
My humor is like church wine: dry and tasteless.
If you are not sure if I am being serious, assume that I am not.

Summer is coming...

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Thank God for the British.

Weasley Clark can go fuck himself. In my opinion, he should have been charged with crimes against humanity. If risking the destruction of civilization for one airport isn't a crime against humanity, what the fuck is?

And it's frightening how easily something like this could happen in Syria.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:44 pm

well you learn something new everyday.
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Tlik
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tlik » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:
Tlik wrote:Hurdegaryp

Hurdegaryp - yep there we go :rofl:

It was all worth it for that... :P

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:20 am

greed and death wrote:
*Yawn* can't trust British sources they are not gun ho enough to understand American Generals.

Gun ho? I suppose that is more appropriate than the original gung ho.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:26 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:
greed and death wrote:

Gun ho? I suppose that is more appropriate than the original gung ho.

I wont use gung ho since I have studied Chinese and realize the american usage makes no sense.

But if it involves guns Gun ho is fine.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:27 am

And once again, a nice story (which I believe trends towards the probably-has-some-basis-in-fact side of things, Mr. Blunt's probably slightly exaggerated personal role in it notwithstanding) will not stop the NSG Let's-All-Shit-On-America train.
edgy gaiz suuuuuuuuuper edgy
EDIT: Also, even the wiki says the existence any of Clark's supposed orders to "destroy" or deal with the Russians by force is "still debated", and seem to exist purely apocryphally.
The most likely thing that happened is that the command was confused as to exactly what was going on at the airfield and the orders given were contradictory and unclear as a result - not "WOOHOO RUSSIANS! CUE GUILE'S THEME, LET'S KILL DEM LOL".
Because the latter is not really how modern warfare works ever since we got rid of MacArthur.
Last edited by The Tiger Kingdom on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:41 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:And once again, a nice story (which I believe trends towards the probably-has-some-basis-in-fact side of things, Mr. Blunt's probably slightly exaggerated personal role in it notwithstanding) will not stop the NSG Let's-All-Shit-On-America train.
EDIT: Also, even the wiki says the existence any of Clark's supposed orders to "destroy" or deal with the Russians by force is "still debated", and seem to exist purely apocryphally.
The most likely thing that happened is that the command was confused as to exactly what was going on at the airfield and the orders given were contradictory and unclear as a result - not "WOOHOO RUSSIANS! CUE GUILE'S THEME, LET'S KILL DEM LOL".
Because the latter is not really how modern warfare works ever since we got rid of MacArthur.

Go home and be a family man!

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 am

Agritum wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:And once again, a nice story (which I believe trends towards the probably-has-some-basis-in-fact side of things, Mr. Blunt's probably slightly exaggerated personal role in it notwithstanding) will not stop the NSG Let's-All-Shit-On-America train.

Go home and be a family man!

I'm sure that's in the lyric of some James Blunt song, ironically.
When the war is over
Got to start again

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:01 am

Yeah, something happening in Serbia is going to trigger a world war.

Get real.
Pro: #FreeCrimea, justice, peace, LGBTIQ rights, love, choice, YOLO, God, separation of church and state, hugs, equal rights, most NSG moderators
Anti: war, hypocrisy, imperialism, homophobia, guns, inequality, racism, sexism

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:06 am

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:I see no reason to believe James Blunt's account of what happened.

How I larfed.

So you automatically believe every celebrity's claim?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:45 am

Lordieth wrote:My camo's brilliant.
My aim is pure.
I saw a contigent.
Of that I'm sure.

They aimed at me at the airfield
There was many a Russian man
But I won't loose my bullets at them
No, I'd rather hang
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Photoshopped birds flipping the bird not acceptable.

Aquafireland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aquafireland » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:10 am

Well, this is quite touching.
abc|xyz

“Some people say you are going the wrong way, when it’s simply a way of your own.”
-Angelina Jolie

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:15 am

More like he knew the Russians could nuke the entire earth much like salting the world.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Seleucas
Minister

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seleucas » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:Well there you have it...good old British professionalism trumps Rambo-esque shoot first ask questions later.

Chalk up another reason to despise US foreign policy and General Wesley Clark. I never much cared for Blunt's song, but I think that is far outweighed by his refusal to give in to this kind of mindless bloodlust.
Like an unscrupulous boyfriend, Obama lies about pulling out after fucking you.
-Tokyoni

The State never intentionally confronts a man's sense, intellectual or moral, but only his body, his senses. It is not armed with superior wit or honesty, but with superior physical strength. I was not born to be forced.
- Henry David Thoreau

Oh please. Those people should grow up. The South will NOT rise again.

The Union will instead, fall.
-Distruzio

Dealing with a banking crisis was difficult enough, but at least there were public-sector balance sheets on to which the problems could be moved. Once you move into sovereign debt, there is no answer; there’s no backstop.
-Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England

Right: 10.00
Libertarian: 9.9
Non-interventionist: 10
Cultural Liberal: 6.83

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:36 pm

Anachronous Rex wrote:Meh. Russia wouldn't have gone to war over an incident with 200 soldiers.

Not unless they threatened to gay marry them, or something.

This brings a whole new perspective to the battlefield. Chaplains have traditionally been seen as noncombatants, only fighting if they have to. But now? with Gay Marriage based warfare? Weaponized Gay Marriage will completely undermine their position as noncombatants under the rules of war. Gay Marriage based warfare would this probably violate the Geneva Convention. Clearly this is another reason to ban Gay Marriage World Wide.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:17 pm

Seleucas wrote:
Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:Well there you have it...good old British professionalism trumps Rambo-esque shoot first ask questions later.

Chalk up another reason to despise US foreign policy and General Wesley Clark. I never much cared for Blunt's song, but I think that is far outweighed by his refusal to give in to this kind of mindless bloodlust.

...Can you actually cite the orders in which this "bloodlust" was established?
No. Nobody can, except a handful of people (who can only do so according to their recollections and nothing else), none of whom were actually privy to what was going on in terms of command there.
Again, which is more likely:
A) That the US commanding elements there were confused about who exactly was at the runway (as is extremely common in a fluid, fast-moving combat situation) and as a result, orders were confused and perhaps were mistakenly more hostile than they needed to be,
or B) WOOHOO USA GONNA KILL DEM RUSKIES HUR DUR
Think very carefully.
When the war is over
Got to start again

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:How I larfed.

So you automatically believe every celebrity's claim?

Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General