NATION

PASSWORD

Views on Democracy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Sladerstan
Envoy

Founded: Jan 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sladerstan » Wed May 13, 2020 6:43 pm

Democracy is a failure. The masses cannot decide what they need, hell the majority of them don't even the laws of their own nation or about politics, and we want to let them decide? It's like letting a child decide if fire is safe or dangerous for themselves. Let those who actually know things decide what's best.

Sadakoyama
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sadakoyama » Wed May 13, 2020 6:44 pm

Humans are selfish, ignorant, greedy, self-destructive, and cruel. They should be subjugated as soon as possible by powerful and benevolent AI.
Sadakoyama - Foul-mouthed mad scientists create a University in a disease-ridden jungle of death!
We're not Communist and we love noodles.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed May 13, 2020 6:44 pm

I don't know where this quote came from, only that it is not mine, but it was something along the lines of 'democracy is a system where two stupid people outvote one intelligent person.' It's a system that is just better than the alternatives, as autocracies and unelected oligarchies are so much worse.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed May 13, 2020 6:45 pm

Democracy in its purest sense - the people making decisions as a single, mass body - rules. Anyone who describes themselves as anti-democratic is probably a nerd, or they're too heavily invested in the history of pre-WWI Germany.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
From the river to the sea. It didn't start on 10/7.

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Wed May 13, 2020 6:47 pm

Atheris wrote:
The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:Actually, the Nazis won 37.3% of the vote in that election, and the Reichstag was still unable to form a government. Violence by paramilitary groups played a large part in that election.

That was still the majority of the vote.

If we're being pedantic, that's a plurality, not a majority. That was my point. The majority voted for someone other than Hitler.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed May 13, 2020 6:50 pm

It’s a truly idiotic system of government. Basically glorified high school popularity contests. You get what the system encourages, short sighted elected vote-seeking idiots running world governments and fairly consistently idiotic policies.

“Let’s come up with a system where we allow whoever is the most popular to make the decisions.”

If you still support democracy, I suggest spending some time with the average voter. The degree of bad decision making and lack of informed opinion is shocking.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Wed May 13, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last Breath
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Last Breath » Wed May 13, 2020 6:52 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:It’s a truly idiotic system of government. Basically glorified high school popularity contests. You get what the system encourages, short sighted elected vote-seeking idiots running world governments and fairly consistently idiotic policies.

“Let’s come up with a system where we allow whoever is the most popular to make the decisions.”

If you still support democracy, I suggest spending some time with the average voter. The degree of bad decision making and lack of informed opinion is shocking.

What do you propose as an alternative?
This nation is meant to be as ignorant, absurd and backwards as possible and is not in anyway representative of my political views.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed May 13, 2020 6:52 pm

Last Breath wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:It’s a truly idiotic system of government. Basically glorified high school popularity contests. You get what the system encourages, short sighted elected vote-seeking idiots running world governments and fairly consistently idiotic policies.

inb4 "benevolent dictatorship"
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Last Breath
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Last Breath » Wed May 13, 2020 6:53 pm

Atheris wrote:
Last Breath wrote:

no such animal
This nation is meant to be as ignorant, absurd and backwards as possible and is not in anyway representative of my political views.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed May 13, 2020 6:53 pm

Last Breath wrote:

IM is a totalitarian, so expect something along those lines.

Coinsiana
Civilian

Founded: May 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

No opinions.

Postby Coinsiana » Wed May 13, 2020 6:54 pm

As a centrist nation, I don’t exactly have any opinions on democracy, any ideologies really. All equally uncared for as the others.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed May 13, 2020 6:54 pm

Atheris wrote:
Last Breath wrote:

Pretty much everyone who's anti-democratic either wants some kind of "enlightened despot" or whatever, or they just want a straight-up brutal dictatorship because they think they'll be on the right side of the jackboot.

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed May 13, 2020 6:55 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Atheris wrote:inb4 "benevolent dictatorship"

Pretty much everyone who's anti-democratic either wants some kind of "enlightened despot" or whatever, or they just want a straight-up brutal dictatorship because they think they'll be on the right side of the jackboot.

The only good dictatorship was Tito's. If we could have an immortal Tito (minus the gommunism ofc) leading a One World Government I'd totally be all for it
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed May 13, 2020 6:56 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Atheris wrote:inb4 "benevolent dictatorship"

I made it clear in another post that I am no fan of democracy, but it is the best we've got. Any despot is most likely going to be worse than the worst democrat. At least in a democracy, you are usually able to criticize the state of affairs if there are problems. Despots hate freedom of speech and of the press.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed May 13, 2020 6:56 pm

Atheris wrote:
Arcturus Novus wrote:Pretty much everyone who's anti-democratic either wants some kind of "enlightened despot" or whatever, or they just want a straight-up brutal dictatorship because they think they'll be on the right side of the jackboot.

The only good dictatorship was Tito's. If we could have an immortal Tito (minus the gommunism ofc) leading a One World Government I'd totally be all for it

Please don't post cringe on this forum kthx

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed May 13, 2020 6:58 pm

Coinsiana wrote:As a centrist nation, I don’t exactly have any opinions on democracy, any ideologies really. All equally uncared for as the others.

General is an Out-of-Character forum. Your fictional nation is irreverent here. This is about opinions of you the player.

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Views on Democracy?

Postby Deacarsia » Wed May 13, 2020 7:24 pm

Atheris wrote:
Deacarsia wrote:Democracy fundamentally is incompatible with human flourishing. While some democratic elements may at some times and in some places be useful to organize a government, democracy is dangerous as an abstract principle.

I beg to differ. Some of the strongest and most technologically advanced nations in the world are democracies. The United States, the United Kingdom, Japan, France, and Germany all to name a few.

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc. These countries may be successful despite being democracies; indeed, it much more likely that these nations only are able to sustain democracy because they already are the strongest and most technologically advanced nations in the world, not the other way around.

In fact, every one of these nations were less democratic in the past, in some cases far less democratic, during which period they built up their strength and technological advantage. Contrary to being a guarantor of strength and advancement, democracy actually weakens nations and retards their development.
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed May 13, 2020 7:25 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Coinsiana wrote:As a centrist nation, I don’t exactly have any opinions on democracy, any ideologies really. All equally uncared for as the others.

General is an Out-of-Character forum. Your fictional nation is irreverent here. This is about opinions of you the player.

Sometimes its indistinguishable. And what if a player has the same views as from its nation?

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed May 13, 2020 7:27 pm

Deacarsia wrote:
Atheris wrote:I beg to differ. Some of the strongest and most technologically advanced nations in the world are democracies. The United States, the United Kingdom, Japan, France, and Germany all to name a few.

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc.

That's a bit too forward, don't you think? At least get a room first!
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Views on Democracy?

Postby Deacarsia » Wed May 13, 2020 7:31 pm

Cekoviu wrote:That's a bit too forward, don't you think? At least get a room first!

What?
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Wed May 13, 2020 7:32 pm

Deacarsia wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:That's a bit too forward, don't you think? At least get a room first!

What?

hehe "cum", got to admit it got a chuckle out of me

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed May 13, 2020 7:32 pm

Deacarsia wrote:

What?

Simply lazy wordplay, don't mind me.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed May 13, 2020 7:34 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Deacarsia wrote:What?

Simply lazy wordplay, don't mind me.

Heh. I get it.

#FreeNSGRojava

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed May 13, 2020 7:38 pm

Nakena wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:General is an Out-of-Character forum. Your fictional nation is irreverent here. This is about opinions of you the player.

Sometimes its indistinguishable. And what if a player has the same views as from its nation?

I don't think that's the case here.

The Sladerstan
Envoy

Founded: Jan 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sladerstan » Wed May 13, 2020 7:44 pm

Last Breath wrote:

Autocratic Aristocracy, so that a group of well educated individuals will decide, rather than 1 dictator or millions of uneducated people.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General