NATION

PASSWORD

N-Day to coincide with Yom Kippur

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Brettenwald
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Brettenwald » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:48 pm

East Blepia wrote:
Brettenwald wrote:With all due respect, since the next conceivable conflict is over a decade away this seems like more of a poorly-thought-out attention grab than anything else.

It's not an attention grab. The Jewish religion is not an attention grab. This N-Day is going to coincide with a major and solemn religious holiday. Internet users must realise that religion is important to a lot of people.

East Blepia wrote:
Brettenwald wrote:A) not an actual country, and B) I don't see the Levant on here:
https://ibb.co/5xCxj2J

No, it's not a political state. I'm talking about the Land of Israel where about half of Jews in the world reside.

Also, that map is very unreliable. I know people who are not from the US, Pakistan, or India, and who have used NationStates in the last thirty days. It is simply unimaginable to consider that no visits to NationStates have occurred from any other countries in the last thirty days.

I'm not going to pay money to make a point in NSG, so I will admit that that was a badly planned point to make. I apologize for any offense, but my point still stands: deal with it.
BRETTENWALD
Factbook completion will occur when hell freezes over and this nation is basically what happens at 3 AM when I overdose on Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Game of Thrones. Trans rights or you're getting kneecapped.
Center-right largely-absolute monarchy populated by the majority-pagan descendants of a mix of Vikings, Iron Age German rednecks and the odd shipwreck survivor coming into its own on the world stage during the final stages of a 32-year watershed moment under the watchful eye of an emperor who was never supposed to be one. Strict MT, current year though lore posts are generally asynchronous. Brettain is a catchall demonym, flag waifu by Polish Prussian Commonwealth, NS stats not canon.

East Blepia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:49 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
East Blepia wrote:
Yes, it is sensible, but I have already proposed it and it is already being discussed here.

But again the site owners/admins are not going to rush to fix an issue that isn't going to come around for another ten years at least.

Of course not. We have established that I have no expectation (and I do not think that anyone else does) that the issue be resolved this year (though it is still regrettable).
20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan, 10 years in Syria, constant brinksmanship with Iran, $230 billion[1] and counting in military and economic aid to a first-world country, and the agitation of Islamic extremism[2] causing tens of thousands of civilian deaths is not enough. America MUST do more for Israel. If you ask what we get in exchange, you are an anti-semite.

1. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf "As of March 2020, in 2018 U.S. dollars (inflation-adjusted), total U.S.
aid to Israel... is $236 billion."

2. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/nov/24/theobserver "Why are we fighting and opposing you? The answer is very simple...You attacked us in Palestine...the degree of American support for Israel"

Brettenwald
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Brettenwald » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:52 pm

East Blepia wrote:
Guy wrote:ITT:

Jewish people: "Hey admins just so you know N-Day coincides with Yom Kippur (the holiest day for Jews) this year. This stops us from participating and therefore inconveniences us. It would be good if you acknowledge this problem, and in the future you have Yom Kippur in mind when scheduling events."

Goyim: "hOW dARE hte Jews raise an issue. I know it has no bearing on me whatsoever, but they should just sit down in the corner and Be qUieT. Also let me explain to you what you can and cannot do on Yom Kippur."

I know admin is a lot more sensible than this (despite my sig lol), so I'll let them have consideration for this and leave this discussion here.

I'm not even Jewish. I still consider it to be quite offensive.

If you're not Jewish, maybe don't raise Cain about something that doesn't even affect you personally?
BRETTENWALD
Factbook completion will occur when hell freezes over and this nation is basically what happens at 3 AM when I overdose on Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Game of Thrones. Trans rights or you're getting kneecapped.
Center-right largely-absolute monarchy populated by the majority-pagan descendants of a mix of Vikings, Iron Age German rednecks and the odd shipwreck survivor coming into its own on the world stage during the final stages of a 32-year watershed moment under the watchful eye of an emperor who was never supposed to be one. Strict MT, current year though lore posts are generally asynchronous. Brettain is a catchall demonym, flag waifu by Polish Prussian Commonwealth, NS stats not canon.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:53 pm

East Blepia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:But again the site owners/admins are not going to rush to fix an issue that isn't going to come around for another ten years at least.

Of course not. We have established that I have no expectation (and I do not think that anyone else does) that the issue be resolved this year (though it is still regrettable).

But the response of the admins (if/when they respond in this thread) will likely be along those lines, that first they cannot avoid all religious holidays, and second they can't be expected to fix an issue that going forward won't be an issue for a long time.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:00 pm

East Blepia wrote:I will acknowledge that this is not the end of the world.
Which is kind of the problem, isn't it? The world is ending and Jews don't get to participate.

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:01 pm

Sorry but if your particular religious holiday coincides with N-Day, you should spend that time doing what you'd normally do and what's important to you religiously. If you're really feeling conflicted as to which is more important than you, it sounds more like a you problem than anything else. N-Day is just a fun little game on the computer.

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:01 pm

Brettenwald wrote:If you're not Jewish, maybe don't raise Cain about something that doesn't even affect you personally?

The New California Republic wrote: But the response of the admins (if/when they respond in this thread) will likely be along those lines, that first they cannot avoid all religious holidays, and second they can't be expected to fix an issue that going forward won't be an issue for a long time.

The intent I had when creating this thread was to raise an issue which I (and apparently some others) find to be unfortunate. I don't know how the Admins will respond if they end up responding at all.

Whether or not I myself am a Jew has no bearing on the significance of the timing conflict here.
20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan, 10 years in Syria, constant brinksmanship with Iran, $230 billion[1] and counting in military and economic aid to a first-world country, and the agitation of Islamic extremism[2] causing tens of thousands of civilian deaths is not enough. America MUST do more for Israel. If you ask what we get in exchange, you are an anti-semite.

1. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf "As of March 2020, in 2018 U.S. dollars (inflation-adjusted), total U.S.

2. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/nov/24/theobserver "Why are we fighting and opposing you? The answer is very simple...You attacked us in Palestine...the degree of American support for Israel"

Chingis
Events Manager

Founded: Apr 04, 2016

Postby Chingis » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:04 pm

I genuinely don't understand why NSGers are crawling out of their forum en masse to give so much say to an event focussed primarily at NSGP, but regardless of that - I fail to understand what the issue with moving the event back by 24 hours is? We've literally lost 4 pages worth of posts discussing this when this could all be solved by moving the event 24 hours in either direction when the time comes and *boom* no one is upset. A miracle, I know. And this way it would save us having to listen to random strawmen being thrown around for hours on end by everyone who's managed to crawl under the barbed wire we put up around General.
1 John 2:1-2 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father - Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Matthew 5:43-44 You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

Mount Seymour
Envoy

Founded: Mar 25, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Mount Seymour » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:06 pm

I am in the same position as East Blepia. This year, the last seven or so hours for me will overlap with the beginning of Yom Kippur -- one of, if not the, holiest day in Judaism. It's not a celebration like Christmas, where someone who is observant can simply have some fun and spend some time playing an online game. It's a day of fasting and atonement. Now I have to choose whether to participate in the faction that I have spent months planning, organizing, and leading, or to observe Yom Kippur appropriately.

And this year's N-Day, for me, doesn't even overlap with the holiday it is meant to celebrate: the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons. It begins two hours after that day has ended.

There may not be anything the administrators can do to change this problematic conflict this time around. But it is not unlikely that in the future, there will be other N-Days or events in general that would conflict with a holy day of this magnitude. As one person pointed out, in 2022, Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish new year and the spiritual counterpart to Yom Kippur) will potentially conflict with N-Day. As Guy wrote, it would be greatly comforting to know that the administrators will take the small step of remembering not to make this mistake again in the future -- especially since it doesn't seem like any great hassle to stage N-Day a day earlier or a day later. We of Jewish practice would appreciate it.
The Pacific Alpine Commonwealth of Mount Seymour
a.k.a. Somyrion, Aumeltopia
Security Council #212
Issue #640

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:08 pm

Sir, this is a little event organized by an obscure 2002 browser game. Is it so important to you that the event must be delayed so that you can enjoy both your religious holiday and the game event?
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:08 pm

Having two threads in two separate sections of the forums that cover exactly the same issue isn't good, so I'll ask for them to be merged.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:11 pm

I mean, sucks to suck. If you miss it oh well.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Picairn wrote:Sir, this is a little event organized by an obscure 2002 browser game. Is it so important to you that the event must be delayed so that you can enjoy both your religious holiday and the game event?

This is rather disrespectful wording deserving of a few strikes on the head with the hard end of a Torah scroll.

It is inconvenient for Jews. One of the senior administrators of the Potato Command is a Jew. It is regrettable and should not be repeated if it can be avoided.

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:12 pm

Dytarma wrote:I mean, sucks to suck. If you miss it oh well.

How can you really say these sorts of things? This is just ridiculous.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:17 pm

East Blepia wrote:This is rather disrespectful wording deserving of a few strikes on the head with the hard end of a Torah scroll.
I'm not 100% sure of the relevant doctrinal issues, but I do believe that using one's holy scriptures as a blunt weapon is considered to be disrespectful by most religions.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:19 pm

East Blepia wrote:It is inconvenient for Jews. One of the senior administrators of the Potato Command is a Jew. It is regrettable and should not be repeated if it can be avoided.

To reiterate:
The New California Republic wrote:they cannot avoid all religious holidays

So I doubt the admins are going to set a precedent that will get themselves tangled in knots in order to make site event a, b, c [...] x, y, z avoid holiday a, b, c [...] x, y, z.

Wave on, wave on

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:29 pm

Hmm! Sorry, I had no idea about that. Next time we can bring it forward 24 hours.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:32 pm

[violet] wrote:Hmm! Sorry, I had no idea about that. Next time we can bring it forward 24 hours.

The next Yom Kippur that may clash is over ten years away, so there is no rush.

Wave on, wave on

Nilrahrarfan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nilrahrarfan » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:35 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
East Blepia wrote:It is inconvenient for Jews. One of the senior administrators of the Potato Command is a Jew. It is regrettable and should not be repeated if it can be avoided.

To reiterate:
The New California Republic wrote:they cannot avoid all religious holidays

So I doubt the admins are going to set a precedent that will get themselves tangled in knots in order to make site event a, b, c [...] x, y, z avoid holiday a, b, c [...] x, y, z.

So you may as well turn it into 8Chan for the night, a proposal that I seriously support (yes, I'm THAT crazy.).
Master of Puppets on Nationstates
Favorite forum: Moderation

✠ (Put this in your Signature if you are a Fascist Nation!)
Supports: Fascism, National Anarchism, Storms, Atheism, Dictatorship, Alt-Right, The Supreme Authority, Kekistan, Metal/Classical Music, Moderation Forum, Taking Guns from Antifa
Opposes: Monarchy, Sunshine and Rainbows, SJW's, Religion (Unless Katrina's the one being worshipped), Jihadism, Environmentalism, Direct Democracy, Democratic Socialism, Autotuned Pop Music, Antifa

Altmoras
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 25, 2012

Postby Altmoras » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:41 pm

Admin made a deliberate decision to move the start time 9 hours ahead from the usual time this year for some unexplained reason. It doesn't even fall on the 26th unless you live on the West Coast of North America or on a Pacific island West of the International Date Line.

I would love to hear their reasoning as well.
Benevolent Thomas-Today at 11:15 AM
"I'm not sure if Altmoras has ever been wrong about anything."

Inhumanly good at the game according to official word of site staff.

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:43 pm

East Blepia wrote:
Dytarma wrote:I mean, sucks to suck. If you miss it oh well.

How can you really say these sorts of things? This is just ridiculous.

I mean its gonna be more of a pain to the majority of people if it were moved than leaving some out if it stays the same day. And besides, there's still next year.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:43 pm

Topics merged.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:43 pm

East Blepia wrote:This is rather disrespectful wording deserving of a few strikes on the head with the hard end of a Torah scroll.

Was that a threat?

It is inconvenient for Jews. One of the senior administrators of the Potato Command is a Jew. It is regrettable and should not be repeated if it can be avoided.

Do you know what precedent you are creating? Do you know how many religious holidays are there? What if after your request is granted, people from other religions also petition to delay N-Days if they coincide with their important religious holidays? Delays after delays mean more work for Max and [v], upset plans and kill the excitement.

While the fact that one of the senior administrators of the Potato Command is a Jew is regrettable, the admins can't avoid all holidays.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

West Leas Oros 2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby West Leas Oros 2 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Huh. Interesting. What are the odds?
WLO Public News: Outdated Factbooks and other documents in process of major redesign! ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE: <error:not found>
How many South Americans need to be killed by the CIA before you realize socialism is bad?
I like to think I've come a long way since the days of the First WLO.
Conscientious Objector in the “Culture War”

NationStates Leftist Alternative only needs a couple more nations before it can hold its constitutional convention!

Aushweizland
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Aushweizland » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:51 pm

This thread is a bit stupid. It doesn't really matter, this is only a game

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical