NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Filial Fidelity

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

[SUBMITTED] Filial Fidelity

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:39 pm

Filial Responsibility laws – laws which can make adult children involuntarily responsible for their parents' medical and care bills should the parent fail to pay – exist in 30 of the 50 US states, as well as the two largest economies in Europe and two of the top three in Asia, plus a few others. Around a third of the world's population lives under these laws. Suffice it to say they can be controversial, but are rarely tested.

Third draft

[TITLE] Filial Fidelity

[DESCRIPTION] @@DEMONYM@@ citizen @@random_name(1)@@ was recently shocked to find @@HIM(1)@@self being sued by the medical facility at which @@HIS(1)@@ estranged mother received treatment. Claiming thousands in unpaid bills, and with the patient having no resources of her own, the facility is pursuing her only child for the outstanding balance.

[VALIDITY] Has Courts, Capitalist, No Universal Healthcare, No Vats

[OPTION 1] "How can I be responsible for this?" howls @@random_lastname(1)@@, waving the court filing in your face. "I had nothing to do with my mother going to that place. Heck, we aren't even on speaking terms! I've only just been getting on my feet after years of her abuse, and now these vultures want to rip it all away to pay for that harridan? Please, @@LEADER@@, you must declare that family members can't be sued over each other's medical debt!"

[EFFECT 1] parents giddily refuse to pay their toddlers' medical bills

[OPTION 2] "If we dumped her out on the street, I bet it would be you who was suing us!" snaps @@random_name(2)@@, Director of the facility in question, while casually checking a diamond-encrusted wristwatch. "@@LEADER@@, we have a professional responsibility to care for those in need, but if you allow this, every patient we've got will just hide their money and claim indigence! We'll be left holding the bills for countless staff hours, expensive medications, and we'll be bankrupt in a week. If you care about family values, you have to mandate family responsibility. It's not our fault this @@MAN(1)@@ doesn't love @@HIS(1)@@ own mother!"

[EFFECT 2] citizens are bankrupted by injuries to cousins they've never met

[OPTION 3] "I have an idea that might ruffle a few feathers," announces your Chief of Plumage Disturbance, @@random_name(3)@@, quickly sketching a Venn Diagram in @@HIS@@ notebook. "On one side, you've got folks like @@random_lastname(2)@@ who need to be paid for their services. On the other side, you've got families like the @@random_lastname(1)@@s who really can't afford the medical bills every time some 3rd cousin twice removed needs care. You know who can afford it? The government! If we just raise taxes across the board, we can introduce universal state-provided health care. When everybody pays, everybody wins!"

[EFFECT 3] the possibility of gain causes universal pain

2nd draft
[TITLE] Filial Fidelity

[DESCRIPTION] @@DEMONYM@@ citizen @@random_name(1)@@ was recently shocked to find @@HIM(1)@@self the defendant in a lawsuit filed by the medical facility at which @@HIS(1)@@ estranged mother received treatment. Claiming thousands in unpaid bills, and with the patient having no resources of her own, the facility elected to pursue her only child for the outstanding balance.

[OPTION 1] "How can I be responsible for this?" howls @@random_lastname(1)@@, waving the court filing in your face. "I had nothing to do with my mother going to that place. Heck, we aren't even on speaking terms! My partner and I have only just been getting on our own feet, and now these vultures want to rip away what little we have to pay for that harridan? Please, @@LEADER@@, you must declare that family members can't be sued over each other's medical debt!"

[EFFECT 1] pediatricians struggle to extract payment from toddlers

[OPTION 2] "If we dumped her out on the street, I bet it would be you who was suing us!" snaps @@random_name(2)@@, Director of the facility in question. "@@LEADER@@, we have a professional responsibility to care for those in need, but if you allow this, every patient we've got will just hide their money and claim indigence! We'll be left holding the bills for countless staff hours, expensive medications, and we'll be bankrupt in a week. If you care about family values, you have to mandate family responsibility. It's not our fault this @@MAN(1)@@ doesn't love @@HIS(1)@@ own mother!"

[OPTION 3] "I have an idea that might ruffle a few feathers," announces your Chief of Plumage Disturbance, @@random_name(3)@@, quickly sketching a Venn Diagram in @@HIS@@ notebook. "On one side, you've got folks like @@random_lastname(2)@@ who need to be paid for their services. On the other side, you've got families like the @@random_lastname(1)@@s who really can't afford the medical bills every time some 3rd cousin twice removed needs care. You know who can afford it? The government! If we just raise taxes across the board, we can introduce universal state-provided health care. When everybody pays, everybody wins!"

[EFFECT 3] universal gain requires universal pain

1st draft
[TITLE] Filial Fidelity

[DESCRIPTION] @@DEMONYM@@ citizen @@random_name(1)@@ was recently shocked to find @@HIM(1)@@self the defendant in a lawsuit filed by the care home at which @@HIS(1)@@ estranged mother is resident. Claiming thousands in unpaid bills, and with the patient having no resources of her own, the facility has elected to pursue her only child for the outstanding balance.

[VALIDITY] Has Courts, Capitalist, No Universal Healthcare

[OPTION 1] "How can I be responsible for this?" howls @@random_lastname(1)@@, waving the court filing in your face. "I don't have anything to do with my mother being in that place. Heck, we aren't even on speaking terms! My partner and I have only just been getting on our own feet, and now these vultures want to rip away what little we have to pay for that harridan? Please, @@LEADER@@, you must declare that all debts are the responsibility of the one who incurs them, and nobody else!"

[EFFECT 1] terminal patients have suddenly become remarkably philanthropic

[OPTION 2] "If we dumped her out on the street, I bet it would be you who was suing us!" snaps @@random_name(2)@@, Director of the care home in question. "@@LEADER@@, we have a professional responsibility to care for those in need, but if you allow this, every patient we've got will just give their money away and claim indigence! We'll be left holding the bills for countless staff hours, expensive medications, and we'll be bankrupt in a week. If you care about family values, you have to mandate family responsibility. It's not our fault this @@MAN(1)@@ doesn't love @@HIS(1)@@ own mother!"

[EFFECT 3] taxpayers are griping about the government's new "right to be alive"
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:58 pm

Universal health care and the government paying for nursing homes are two completely different things. You can have one without the other (as is evident here in Australia)
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:47 pm

This is in the news again, and the draft has been updated.

- Adjusted description to reflect a more generic "medical facility" rather than just a care home
- Modified speaker 1's dialogue to sound a bit more like a human, and to flow into option 2 a bit better.
- Very slightly adjusted speaker 2's dialogue
- Replaced first and third effect lines

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:52 pm

Verdant Haven wrote: No Universal Healthcare

As this is for nations without an NHS, if a player chooses option 1, how will the medical facility get what is rightfully theirs? I would expect the health care stats to take a huge hit with option 1 in its current state.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:16 am

Baggieland wrote:
Verdant Haven wrote: No Universal Healthcare

As this is for nations without an NHS, if a player chooses option 1, how will the medical facility get what is rightfully theirs? I would expect the health care stats to take a huge hit with option 1 in its current state.

In the US, suing random family members (and even friends and neighbors) who had little or nothing to do with the service being provided, and who have no legal responsibility, is something that a lot providers try to do. They rarely succeed in court unless they're going after a child in a filial responsibility state (especially Pennsylvania, which is mercenary in this regard), but more often they rely on bullying people who don't have lawyers, using debt collectors and frivolous lawsuits to extract payment for debt that isn't theirs. It's extremely predatory.

Here's an article from just yesterday about this issue, which actually includes the exact scenario I used to set up this issue (an estranged mother's child, not on speaking terms, being sued by a facility for her bills). I'd never heard of this particular case before - it's just that common.

Speculating - there would likely be a hit to healthcare with this, since the predatory providers would be impacted or even knocked out of business. The extremity of the effect line proposed is, of course, meant as a joke. Parental responsibility laws are an entirely different matter from filial ones.
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:32 am

I've done a few more tweaks and adjustments to try and reduce wordiness and strengthen characterization.

[TITLE] Filial Fidelity

[DESCRIPTION] @@DEMONYM@@ citizen @@random_name(1)@@ was recently shocked to find @@HIM(1)@@self being sued by the medical facility at which @@HIS(1)@@ estranged mother received treatment. Claiming thousands in unpaid bills, and with the patient having no resources of her own, the facility is pursuing her only child for the outstanding balance.

[OPTION 1] "How can I be responsible for this?" howls @@random_lastname(1)@@, waving the court filing in your face. "I had nothing to do with my mother going to that place. Heck, we aren't even on speaking terms! I've only just been getting on my feet after years of her abuse, and now these vultures want to rip it all away to pay for that harridan? Please, @@LEADER@@, you must declare that family members can't be sued over each other's medical debt!"

[OPTION 2] "If we dumped her out on the street, I bet it would be you who was suing us!" snaps @@random_name(2)@@, Director of the facility in question, while casually checking a diamond-encrusted wristwatch. "@@LEADER@@, we have a professional responsibility to care for those in need, but if you allow this, every patient we've got will just hide their money and claim indigence! We'll be left holding the bills for countless staff hours, expensive medications, and we'll be bankrupt in a week. If you care about family values, you have to mandate family responsibility. It's not our fault this @@MAN(1)@@ doesn't love @@HIS(1)@@ own mother!"

Newland City
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 27, 2018

Postby Newland City » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:24 am

Verdant Haven wrote:I've done a few more tweaks and adjustments to try and reduce wordiness and strengthen characterization.
[TITLE] Filial Fidelity

The effect lines hit a little harder in the earlier draft, arguably so for 1 and definitely for 3
Last edited by Newland City on Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
FT Constitutional Monarchy founded by a cyborg god that definitely isn't a self-insert Marty Stu
Odd mixture of things that represent my real views (heavy devolution and state-funded science) and things that really don't (militarism and monarchy)
NSStats are canon unless contradicted by a factbook

TheKeyToJoy
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 08, 2022
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby TheKeyToJoy » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:11 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:I've done a few more tweaks and adjustments to try and reduce wordiness and strengthen characterization.

[TITLE] Filial Fidelity

You know one of the options will be corruption for some weird reason.
My beliefs. Dogs and cats are both equal, racism is bad, Joe Mama jokes are funny, and TRR is better than any other region.

Kraven Prevails!

TalAkMaChen
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby TalAkMaChen » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:29 am

Issue number 1611 is in, congratulations!
Ser Ghez from Korbucci, President of TalAkMaChen

"It seems that sometimes I do get lost in details." — Ser Ghez, looking at annotations made to issues piling up on the desk

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:53 am

Congrats!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?