NATION

PASSWORD

SUBMITTED: Driven Insane

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

SUBMITTED: Driven Insane

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:58 am

title] Driven Insane

[validity] Must allow cars, must have devolution, must have freedom of travel

[desc] In Greenville, it's legal to turn at a red light, so when a motorist from there attempted to perform this mauver in @@ANIMAL@@ City (where doing so is illegal), it lead to a 15 hour traffic jam. This incident caused your transport minister to commission a cabinet meeting about the prospects of having a nationally consistent driving legislation

[option] "This is bloody ridiculous it is!" complains truck driver, Martin 'Rubber Duck' Penwal, leaving your security guards to wonder how he parked his semi-trailer in your personal parking spot "I mean, come on, do ya’ know how bloody hard it is to roll our trucking convoys across the @@TYPE@@ when we need to change the bloody signs on the back of our trucks every time we reach a provincial border? We need a nationally consistent driving law!"

[effect] highway patrol officers in the tropics will often fine motorists who aren't carrying snow chains during the dry season

[option] "Yea right!" interjects @@RANDOMNAME@@, the transport minister of an island province "Did you know that most jurisdictions allow 21 metre long road trains? Some even allow road trains up to 36 metres! We don't want that, that would be dangerous on our island! Each jurisdiction should be allowed to set their own laws!"

[effect] different parts of the nation drive on different sides of the road

[option] "I have the perfect solution," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, a BUREAUCRAT emerging out of a 2 tonne pile of red tape, "We shouldn't allow motorists to drive outside of the jurisdictions in which they reside until they can prove they're proficient in the automotive legislation of the jurisdictions that they intend to operate their motor vehicles in. I fail to conceive of any down sides."

[effect] seasoned truck drivers spend half their shifts studying national driving legislation

[title] Driven Insane

[desc] Last Week, a Greenville motorist caused a 15 hour traffic jam in @@ANIMAL@@ City by trying to turn at a red light. This incident caused your transport minister to commission a cabinet meeting about the prospects of having a nationally consistent driving legislation

[option] "This is bloody ridiculous it is!" complains truck driver, Martin 'Rubber Duck' Penwal, leaving your security guards to wonder how he parked his semi-trailer in your personal parking spot "I mean, come on, do ya’ know how bloody hard it is to roll our trucking convoys across the @@TYPE@@ when we need to change the bloody signs on the back of our trucks every time we reach a provincial border? We need a nationally consistent driving law!"

[effect] highway patrol officers in the tropics will often fine motorists who aren't carrying snow chains during the dry season

[option] "Yea right!" interjects @@RANDOMNAME@@, the transport minister of an island province "Did you know that most jurisdictions allow 21 metre long road trains? Some even allow road trains up to 36 metres! We don't want that, that would be dangerous on our island! Each jurisdiction should be allowed to set their own laws!"

[option] "I have the perfect solution," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, a BUREAUCRAT emerging out of a 2 tonne pile of red tape, "We shouldn't allow motorists to drive outside of the jurisdictions in which they reside until they can prove they're proficient in the automotive legislation of the jurisdictions that they intend to operate their motor vehicles in. I fail to conceive of any down sides."

[effect] seasoned truck drivers spend half their shifts studying national driving legislation

[title] Driven Insane

[desc] Last Week, a Greenville motorist caused a 15 hour traffic jam in @@ANIMAL@@ City by trying to turn at a  red light. This incident caused your transport minister to commission a cabinet meeting about the prospects of having a nationally consistent driving legislation

[option] "Yea right!" interjects @@RANDOMNAME@@, the transport  minister of an island province "Did you know that most jurisdictions allow B-Doubles up to 21 metres? Some even allow B-Triples! We don't want that, that would be dangerous! Each jurisdiction should be allowed to set their own laws!"

[option] "I have the perfect solution," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, a  BUREAUCRAT emerging out of a 2 tonne pile of red tape, "We shouldn't allow motorists to drive outside of the jurisdictions in which they reside until they can prove they're proficient in the automotive legislation of the jurisdictions that they intend to operate their motor vehicles in. I fail to  conceive of any down sides."

Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:38 am

Australian rePublic wrote:caused a 15 traffic jam

A 15 car jam / a 15 mile (or km) jam / a 15 hour jam. Which one Aussie?

Australian rePublic wrote:B-Doubles up to 21 metres? Some even allow B-Triples

What are these? Double, triple what?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:12 am

Baggieland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:caused a 15 traffic jam

A 15 car jam / a 15 mile (or km) jam / a 15 hour jam. Which one Aussie?

15 hour jam. I'll fix that, thanks

Australian rePublic wrote:B-Doubles up to 21 metres? Some even allow B-Triples

What are these? Double, triple what?

[/quote]
Road trains. This is a B-double
A B-double is a semi-trailer (or other type of truck)with two trailers

A B-triple is a semi-trailer (or other type of truck) with three trailers

B-Double is an internationally recognisable term. B-triple is self-explanatory if you know what a B-Double is. I guess the term isn't as well known as I thought it was. If I don't use the term "B-double" what should I use instead?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Pluvie
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Pluvie » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:07 am

Australian rePublic wrote:nationally consistent driving legislation

You have an extra space here, figured I should point that out :)
Last edited by Pluvie on Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're Beautiful!! Have a great day
Writer, editor, and generally curious cat
Let me know if you ever need help with writing or editing and I’m always willing to lend a helpful hand!
Feel free to telegram or dm me on discord!
Have a heckin day ^-^

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:11 pm

Pluvie wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:nationally consistent driving legislation

You have an extra space here, figured I should point that out :)

Fixed, thanks!

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:24 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:B-Double is an internationally recognisable term. B-triple is self-explanatory if you know what a B-Double is. I guess the term isn't as well known as I thought it was. If I don't use the term "B-double" what should I use instead?

I spent a year backpacking around Oz way back in 94/95. I am familiar with these trucks, back then everyone just called them road trains.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:47 pm

Baggieland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:B-Double is an internationally recognisable term. B-triple is self-explanatory if you know what a B-Double is. I guess the term isn't as well known as I thought it was. If I don't use the term "B-double" what should I use instead?

I spent a year backpacking around Oz way back in 94/95. I am familiar with these trucks, back then everyone just called them road trains.

Yes, but B-doubles and B-Triples are specific types of road trains. It's the distinction between calling it a "train" and calling it the "Eurostar". I'll see, Should I just change it to "road train" and forget the details?

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:17 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Should I just change it to "road train" and forget the details?

Yes.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:33 am

Baggieland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Should I just change it to "road train" and forget the details?

Yes.

Alright done, thanks

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013

Postby Electrum » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:59 am

How does turning at a red light cause a traffic jam? How is this related to having 'nationally consistent driving legislation'? It just seems like the problem is the driver was stupid, rather than different jurisdictions having different laws. The premise in its current state doesn't do a good job of setting up what the problem is.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:12 pm

Electrum wrote:How does turning at a red light cause a traffic jam? How is this related to having 'nationally consistent driving legislation'? It just seems like the problem is the driver was stupid, rather than different jurisdictions having different laws. The premise in its current state doesn't do a good job of setting up what the problem is.

Thanks for the feedback. The idea is based on the USA where some states will allow you to turn right at a red light, whilst others won't. Should I clear that up or should I change it?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:30 am

Electrum wrote:How does turning at a red light cause a traffic jam? How is this related to having 'nationally consistent driving legislation'? It just seems like the problem is the driver was stupid, rather than different jurisdictions having different laws. The premise in its current state doesn't do a good job of setting up what the problem is.

Next draft is up, thanks. Hopefully this clears it up a little

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:29 am

Bump

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:44 am

Last Call

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:17 pm

Submitted

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?