NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Necrocracy the Future of Democracy?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Unified Missourtama States
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Necrocracy the Future of Democracy?

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:24 am

[title] A Dying Democracy

[description] The recent election for the mayor of @@CAPITAL@@ was a tough competition between young political newcomer @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, and geriatric lifetime politician @@RANDOMNAME_2@@. @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ won by a landslide, however, his old heart seems to have given out on election night. A dead person is now the mayor of @@CAPITAL@@.
[validity] must have democracy.

[option] Rushing to be the first to give input, the young and sprightly @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ skips happily into your office, "@@LEADER@@, It really is quite sad that @@RANDOMNAME_2@@'s old ticker gave out. Now that's he dead though you still need someone to run @@CAPITAL@@. I think the simplest and most democratic way to do that would simply be to make whoever got the second most votes the mayor. That would be... um... rgh... oh! Me! Yes!"
[effect] assassination plots are at an all time high

[option] Coming in after @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ is self-described 'democracy fanboy' @@RANDOMNAME@@, "Dearest, @@LEADER@@, I propose what I think is the most obvious and fair solution, simply rerun the election. If you let dead people on the ballot you're letting democracy die with them."
[effect] weekly elections have become tiring

[option] @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Bureaucratic Solutions jumbles over to you looking rather frazzled, she riffles through the stack of papers she is carrying and then speaks, "Oh my! rerunning the election! Well that'd be rather expensive and complicated: we'd have to pass a movement in the legislature, and then remake all the ballots in the correct way, and reorganize the election officials... I think there is a much easier way, there is a reason we have political parties, it really should be the winning party's responsibility to sort this out, then at least voters will get the same ideas they voted for."
[effect] political parties write the wills of politicians

[option] "What's wrong with dead people!" shouts eccentric funeral home owner Morty Sean, "I say you let them do their thing, sure you might need a few special interpreters, but if you know how to listen you can hear what they're saying. It's all in their spirit!" he bows down to whisper into your ear, "Time to reclaim your power, @@LEADER@@." He slithers away.
[effect] politicians are less lively than usual

[description] The recent election for the mayor of @@CAPITAL@@ was a tough competition between young political newcomer @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, and geriatric lifetime politician @@RANDOMNAME_2@@. @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ won by a landslide, however, there is one problem, his old heart seems to have given out on election night. A dead person is now the mayor of @@CAPITAL@@.

[option] Rushing to be the first to give input, the young and spry @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ skips happily into your office, "@@LEADER@@, It really is quite sad that @@RANDOMNAME_2@@'s old ticker gave out. Now that's he dead though you still need someone to run @@CAPITAL@@. I think the simplest and most democratic way to do that would simply be to make whoever got the second most votes the mayor. That would be... um... rgh... oh! Me! Yes!" @@RANDOMNAME skips happily out of your office.

[option] Coming in after @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ is self-described 'democracy fanboy' @@RANDOMNAME_3@@, "Dearest, @@LEADER@@, I propose what I think is the most obvious and fair solution, simply rerun the election."

[option] Your Minister of Bureaucratic Solutions jumbles over to you looking rather frazzled, she riffles through the stack of papers she is carrying and then speaks, "Oh my! rerunning the election! Well that'd be rather expensive and complicated: we'd have to pass a movement in the legislature, and then remake all the ballots in the correct way, and reorganize the election officials... I think there is a much easier way, there is a reason we have political parties, it really should be the winning party's responsibility to sort this out, then at least voters will get the same ideas they voted for."

[option] "What's wrong with dead people!" shouts eccentric funeral home owner Morty Sean, "I say you let them do their thing, sure you might need a few special interpreters, but if you know how to listen you can hear what they're saying."
[effect] politicians adamantly subsidize funeral homes

[description] The recent election for the mayor of @@CAPITAL@@ was a tough competition between young political newcomer @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, and geriatric lifetime politician @@RANDOMNAME_2@@. @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ won by a landslide, however there is one problem, his old heart seems to have given out on election night. A dead person is now the mayor of @@CAPITAL@@.

[option] Rushing to be the first to give input, the young and spry @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ skips happily into your office, "@@LEADER@@, It really is quite sad that @@RANDOMNAME_2@@'s old ticker gave out. Now that's he dead though you still need someone to run @@CAPITAL@@. I think the simplest and most democratic way to do that would simply be to make whoever got the second most votes the mayor. That would be... um... rgh... oh! Me! Yes!" @@RANDOMNAME skips happily out of your office.

[option] Coming in after @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ is self-described patriot and 'democracy fanboy' Jorge W. Ashton, "Dearest, @@LEADER@@, I propose what I think is the most obvious and fair solution, simply rerun the election."

[option] Your Minister of Bureaucratic Solutions jumbles over to you looking rather frazzled, she riffles through the stack of papers she is carrying and then speaks, "Oh my! rerunning the election! Well that'd be rather expensive and complicated: we'd have to pass a movement in the legislature, and then remake all the ballots in the correct way, and reorganize the election officials... I think there is a much easier way, there is a reason we have political parties, it really should be the winning party's responsibility to sort this out, then at least voters will get the same ideas they voted for."

[option] "What's wrong with dead people!" shouts eccentric funeral home owner Morty Sean, "I say you let them do their thing, sure you might need a few special interpreters, but really it's the fairest way."
[effect] politicians adamantly subsidize funeral homes

[title] Democracy is Dead!

[description] The recent election for the mayor of @@CAPITAL@@ was a tough competition between young political newcomer @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, and geriatric lifetime politician @@RANDOMNAME_2@@. @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ won by a landslide, however there is one problem, his old heart seems to have given out on election night. A dead person is now the mayor of @@CAPITAL@@.

[option] Your Minister of Bureaucratic Solutions jumbles in looking rather frazzled, she riffles through the stack of papers she is carrying and then speaks, "Well, there is a reason we have political parties, it really should be the winning party's responsibility to sort this out, then at least voters will get the same ideas they voted for."

[option] "What's wrong with dead people!" shouts eccentric funeral home owner Morty Sean, "I say you let them do their thing, sure you might need a few special interpreters, but really it's the fairest way."
Last edited by The Unified Missourtama States on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:56 am, edited 15 times in total.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:25 pm

I think this draft is pretty well-executed, but I'm not certain as to the integrity of the premise. Mayors IRL tend to have defined lines of succession.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:55 am

Cretox State wrote:I think this draft is pretty well-executed, but I'm not certain as to the integrity of the premise. Mayors IRL tend to have defined lines of succession.

Agree. I think a lower house seat might work better here. In saying that though, the obvious solution I feel is to run the election again, which is pretty much what happens in the UK or Australia.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:13 am

Electrum wrote: In saying that though, the obvious solution I feel is to run the election again, which is pretty much what happens in the UK or Australia.

I agree in that that is an obvious solution, but it can be very expensive to rerun an election: you have to print new ballots, get legislative action, reorganize pollworkers...

I'll definitely fit it in the issue though!
Last edited by The Unified Missourtama States on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013

Postby Electrum » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:15 am

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:
Electrum wrote: In saying that though, the obvious solution I feel is to run the election again, which is pretty much what happens in the UK or Australia.

I agree in that that is an obvious solution, but it can be very expensive to rerun an election: you have to print new ballots, get legislative action, reorganize pollworkers...

I'll definitely fit in though!

That is definitely true. Also I just noticed that your title is a bit cut off :P
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:13 am

New Draft up!
" (W. B. Yeats)

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:43 pm

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:won by a landslide, however there is one problem

A comma before and after the word 'however'. Like this: landslide, however, there...

Can option 3 have a random name?

I feel option 4 needs a bit more to explain how having a dead person as mayor could work. Something like "he already stated his policies in the campaign, we just need the civil servants to implement them".
Last edited by Baggieland on Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:53 pm

Baggieland wrote:
The Unified Missourtama States wrote:won by a landslide, however there is one problem

A comma before and after the word 'however'. Like this: landslide, however, there...

Sure to do!
Can option 3 have a random name?

Mm, I was afraid that pun wouldn't pass, I'll change that.
I feel option 4 needs a bit more to explain how having a dead person as mayor could work. Something like "he already stated his policies in the campaign, we just need the civil servants to implement them".

I don't think we're thinking of that option the same way, I would interpret it more as a way to corrupt the government, simply using a deceased politician as a puppet for your own policies. A choice for those that want to reimplement complete power but are unable to do it via the normal ways.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:33 pm

[option] Coming in after @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ is self-described 'democracy fanboy' @@RANDOMNAME_3@@, "Dearest, @@LEADER@@, I propose what I think is the most obvious and fair solution, simply rerun the election."

Option 2 could use some more meat, in my opinion.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:36 pm

Cretox State wrote:

Option 2 could use some more meat, in my opinion.

That’s an understatement
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:43 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:
Cretox State wrote:Option 2 could use some more meat, in my opinion.

That’s an understatement

I would agree it definitely is, I'll put that one on steroids and send it to the gym.

I also have a little question about the last effect line; "more people communicate with politicians through ouija boards than letters" better than what I currently have up there?
" (W. B. Yeats)

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:10 pm

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:I don't think we're thinking of that option the same way, I would interpret it more as a way to corrupt the government, simply using a deceased politician as a puppet for your own policies. A choice for those that want to reimplement complete power but are unable to do it via the normal ways.

Fair enough. But maybe give a nod to the above within the option.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:27 pm

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:I also have a little question about the last effect line; "more people communicate with politicians through ouija boards than letters" better than what I currently have up there?

It's still a bit heavy handed. Maybe "politicians literally reek of corruption" or "@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ politicians aren't known for shaking hands" or something like that.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:29 pm

Another new drafting(!)
" (W. B. Yeats)

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:48 pm

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:old heart seems to have given out on election night

I would just say " his old heart gave out". For grammatical reasons.

RANDOMNAME_3 in option 2. It's unnecessary to use the "3" here as we only number random names when it refers back to a previously mentioned person. As this is the first and only time we meet this person the numbering isn't required.

Option 3 still has no random nane.

I'm still not a fan if option 4 as you haven't explained the reason for keeping a dead politician in office like you did when you replied to my earlier post.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:03 am

Ok thanks Baggie, I directly implemented those.

Thanks y'all!
Last edited by The Unified Missourtama States on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:42 am

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:[box][title] Necrocracy the Future of Democracy?

[description] The recent election for the mayor of @@CAPITAL@@ was a tough competition between young political newcomer @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, and geriatric lifetime politician @@RANDOMNAME_2@@. @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ won by a landslide, however, there is one problem, his old heart gave out on election night. A dead person is now the mayor of @@CAPITAL@@.

We get that @@HIS@@ death is a problem. No need for you to explain that to us.

[option] Rushing to be the first to give input, the young and sprightly @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ skips happily into your office, "@@LEADER@@, It really is quite sad that @@RANDOMNAME_2@@'s old ticker gave out. Now that's he dead though you still need someone to run @@CAPITAL@@. I think the simplest and most democratic way to do that would simply be to make whoever got the second most votes the mayor. That would be... um... rgh... oh! Me! Yes!" @@RANDOMNAME skips happily out of your office.

There isn’t really a need to repeat that @@HE@@ is skipping happily.

[option] Coming in after @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ is self-described 'democracy fanboy' @@RANDOMNAME_3@@, "Dearest, @@LEADER@@, I propose what I think is the most obvious and fair solution, simply rerun the election. If you let dead people on the ballot it creates a pretense of democracy."

[option] "What's wrong with dead people!" shouts eccentric funeral home owner Morty Sean, "I say you let them do their thing, sure you might need a few special interpreters, but if you know how to listen you can hear what they're saying. It's all in their spirit!"
[effect] politicians are less lively than usual[/quote]
Options 3 and 5 are a lot shorter than the others. Try to balance them out a bit more (probably by shaving the others a bit. 5 options is a lot and these are longish)

Good issue, but I think there’s still things you could do with it. A week is really not that long to have a draft up. Give it a bit more time. Don’t rush to submission.
Last edited by Fauxia on Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:59 am

Okay, I did some trimming as Fauxia suggested. I'm feeling that there need some smoother connections between each option, the transitions are clunky right now, anyone have suggestions?
" (W. B. Yeats)

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:15 pm

/bump
" (W. B. Yeats)

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:05 pm

Love the premise and title of this issue! Here are some suggestions to improve the draft:

[description] The recent election for the mayor of @@CAPITAL@@ was a tough competition between young political newcomer @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, and geriatric lifetime politician @@RANDOMNAME_2@@. @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ won by a landslide, however, his old heart seems to have given out on election night. A dead person is now the mayor of @@CAPITAL@@.
Why is it necessary to include his competitor? As this stands, it doesn't really have a solid flow to it. Here's a potential alternative:
@@CAPITAL@@'s recent election to find a new mayor concluded with a decisive victory for @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, a geriatric lifetime politician. However, immediately upon hearing the news, @@HIS_1@@ old heart gave out, and @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ passed away.
Then, you can have the speaker in option one start by saying something like "Why we certainly can't have a dead person running the capital of our great nation!" or something to that effect. You don't have to use that, but it's just my suggestion to help the opening flow better.

[option] Rushing to be the first to give input, the young and sprightly @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ skips happily into your office, "@@LEADER@@, It really is quite sad that @@RANDOMNAME_2@@'s old ticker gave out. Now that's he dead though you still need someone to run @@CAPITAL@@. I think the most simple and most democratic way to do that would simply be to make whoever got the second most votes the mayor. That would be... um... rgh... oh! Me! Yes!"
For the most part I like this option. "All time" should have a hyphen instead of a space.

[option] Coming in after @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ is self-described 'democracy fanboy' @@RANDOMNAME@@, "Dearest, @@LEADER@@, I propose what I think is the most obvious and fair solution, simply rerun the election. If you let dead people on the ballot you're letting democracy die with them."
Not a fan of the speaker's title... can we think of something a little better? Perhaps a supporter of the dead guy's campaign or something? This could also use a little more substance, probably one more sentence. The effect line is really weak as well; are people dying upon election really that common?

[option] @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Bureaucratic Solutions jumbles over to you looking rather frazzled, she riffles through the stack of papers she is carrying and then speaks, "Oh my! rerunning the election! Well that'd be rather expensive and complicated: we'd have to pass a movement in the legislature, and then remake all the ballots in the correct way, and reorganize the election officials... I think there is a much easier way, there is a reason we have political parties, it really should be the winning party's responsibility to sort this out, then at least voters will get the same ideas they voted for."
This is probably a hot take, but I'm not entirely sold on this option. I think this issue would be better with three options, but that's just my personal opinion.

[option] "What's wrong with dead people!" shouts eccentric funeral home owner Morty Sean, "I say you let them do their thing, sure you might need a few special interpreters, but if you know how to listen you can hear what they're saying. It's all in their spirit!" he bows down to whisper into your ear, "Time to reclaim your power, @@LEADER@@." He slithers away.
[effect] politicians are less lively than usual
"Home owner" should be one word, and there should be a period after "Sean". I think the premise of this option is solid, makes for a fun and wacky option; I'm not entirely sold on its execution, though. I like Baggie's suggestion early about mentioning civil servants potentially carrying out the promises a candidate made while campaigning. I also don't understand the whole reclaiming power and slithering away thing... This option will probably need a rework.

Overall, I like the premise, but I think there needs to be changes to make it a stronger draft.
Last edited by Sacara on Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:49 am

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:

I'll definitely fit it in the issue though!

But a politician dying after having just won an election would be rare enough for the expense not to be a concern. If the elected leader dies within a month of winning, hold a re-election. More than one month, and that's why lines of succession exist. The former would be so rare, that the one-off expense would be worth it
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?