NATION

PASSWORD

[1243] Kicking Back

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

[1243] Kicking Back

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:39 pm

With private prisons being such a hot button issue and bed of corruption in the US, I was surprised that I couldn't find anything about the kickbacks that have been identified (repeatedly) in that industry.

[TITLE] Kicking Back

[VALIDITY] Has private prisons, has a judicial system

[DESCRIPTION] A months-long investigation has revealed that an alarming number of judges across @@NAME@@ have been accepting kickbacks from private prisons in exchange for sending inmates their way. In many cases, the perpetrators would normally have been let off with a warning or fine, but it appears they have been sent to prison strictly to line the pockets of the parties in question.

[OPTION 1] "The problem is clear as day – these judges are corrupt and must be punished!" roars the warden of @@NAMEINITIALS@@CI Inc., a private prison near @@CAPITAL@@. "As soon as private prisons like ours were introduced, they came sniffing around demanding payouts, and threatening to bankrupt us if we didn't play ball. We're the real victims here! Get rid of the bad judges, and I promise things will go much more smoothly. Here, I'll even chip in to your slush fund as a sign of good faith!"

[EFFECT 1] orange is the new black for judicial robes

[OPTION 2] "The problem is clear as day – these private prison companies are corrupt and must be shut down!" hollers judge @@RANDOMNAME@@, banging @@HIS@@ gavel authoritatively. "As soon as private prisons were authorized, they came around with envelopes full of money, slipping bribes everywhere they could, trying to corrupt the course of justice! I saw many of my colleagues tempted by that cash, and I suspect some of them gave in… but not me, of course. Now, would you like a glass of this Chateau @@ANIMAL@@ '59?"

[EFFECT 2] private prison executives find themselves guests in their own former facilities

[OPTION 3] [VALIDITY: No Corporal Punishment] "Prison shouldn't even be an option for minor criminals" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, the minister responsible for the investigation in the first place. "It takes them out of the work force, and really isn't proportionate to the crime. What happened to the good old days of delivering public shaming and a good beating? Keep these prisons for the big stuff, but if they do something minor, just slap them in the stocks and give them a whipping! Then there's no question the folks behind bars deserve it, and everyone else is back to the work force, paying their taxes like good little citizens."

[EFFECT 3] minor infractions can lead to major infections

[OPTION 4] "Man, like, the whole system is rotten to the core!" comes the staticky voice of @@RANDOMNAME@@ from a payphone in prison, where @@HE@@ is serving a 30 day sentence for aggravated jaywalking and 'giving sass' to the judge. "You've gotta get rid of prisons, get rid of judges, get rid of this whole stinking system and just let people be! Where I come from, jaywalking is how we…" click "Please insert 10 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ for another minute."

[EFFECT 4] criminals are asked politely to stop being criminals

1st draft
[TITLE] Kicking Back

[VALIDITY] Has private prisons, has a judicial system

[DESC] Months of investigation by the relevant departments has led to a disturbing report being written – an alarming number of judges across @@NAME@@ have been accepting kickbacks from private prison operators in exchange for sending inmates their way. In many cases, their crimes were so minor that the prisoners would normally have been let off with a warning or a fine, but it appears they have been sent to prison strictly to line the pockets of the parties in question.

[OPTION 1] "The problem is clear as day – these judges are corrupt and must be punished!" roars the warden of @@NAMEINITIALS@@CI Inc., a private prison near @@CAPITAL@@. "As soon as private prisons like ours were introduced, they came sniffing around demanding payouts, and threatening to bankrupt us if we didn't play ball. We're the real victims here! Get rid of the bad judges, and I promise things will go much more smoothly. Here, I'll even chip in to your slush fund as a sign of good faith!"

[EFFECT 1] orange is the new black for judicial robes

[OPTION 2] "The problem is clear as day – these private prison companies are corrupt and must be shut down!" hollers judge @@RANDOMNAME@@, banging @@HIS@@ gavel authoritatively. "As soon as private prisons were authorized, they came around with envelopes full of money, slipping bribes everywhere they could, trying to corrupt the course of justice! I saw many of my colleagues tempted by that cash, and I suspect some of them gave in… but not me, of course. Now, would you like a glass of this Chateau @@ANIMAL@@ '59?"

[EFFECT 2] private prison executives find themselves guests in their own facilities

[OPTION 3] "Did you ever stop to think that prison just isn't the best way to handle minor criminals?" inquires @@RANDOMNAME@@, the minister responsible for the report in the first place. "What happened to the good old days of delivering public shaming and a good beating? Keep these prisons for the big stuff, but if they do something minor, just slap them in the stocks and give them a whipping! Then there's no question the folks behind bars deserve it, and everyone else is back to the work force, paying their taxes like good little citizens."

[EFFECT 3] minor infractions can lead to major infections

[OPTION 4] "Man, like, the whole system is rotten to the core!" comes the staticky voice of @@RANDOMNAME@@ from a payphone in prison, where @@HE@@ is serving a 30 day sentence for aggravated jaywalking and 'giving sass' to the judge. "You've gotta get rid of prisons, get rid of judges, get rid of this whole stinking system and just let communities handle stuff their own way! Where I come from, jaywalking is just a…" click "Please insert 10 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ for another minute."

[EFFECT 4] criminals are asked politely to stop being criminals
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:05 am, edited 8 times in total.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:50 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:Months of investigation by the relevant departments has led to a disturbing report being written

I would say 'released' rather than 'written'.

What exactly is option 2 proposing? A bit more information please. :)

Verdant Haven wrote:just slap them in the stocks and give them a whipping

This requires the corporal punishment validity. Why not just throw rotten fruit at them while they're in the stocks?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:26 pm

Baggieland wrote:Why not just throw rotten fruit at them while they're in the stocks?
Isn't that also a form of corporal punishment?

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:36 am

Baggieland wrote:
Verdant Haven wrote:Months of investigation by the relevant departments has led to a disturbing report being written

I would say 'released' rather than 'written'.

Can do

What exactly is option 2 proposing? A bit more information please. :)

It eliminates private prisons and returns them to state operation.

This requires the corporal punishment validity. Why not just throw rotten fruit at them while they're in the stocks?

The idea was that this one adds the corporal punishment policy to those who don't already have it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:07 am

Option 3, Isn't that the entire problem in the first place?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:40 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 3, Isn't that the entire problem in the first place?

The problem in the first place is that minor offenders are being sent to prison. The intention of this suggestion is to prohibit that and replace it officially with corporal punishment. I think I see what you're reacting to though - I'll see if I can clarify!

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:35 am

Verdant Haven wrote:The idea was that this one adds the corporal punishment policy to those who don't already have it.

You should put this in your draft:

[FLAG] enacts corporal punishment

Then we know your intentions!

I guess putting people in stocks is corporal punishment in itself, regardless if they're whipped or have fruit thrown at them. It's a physical punishment.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:49 am

Baggieland wrote:
Verdant Haven wrote:The idea was that this one adds the corporal punishment policy to those who don't already have it.

You should put this in your draft:

[FLAG] enacts corporal punishment

Then we know your intentions!

I guess putting people in stocks is corporal punishment in itself, regardless if they're whipped or have fruit thrown at them. It's a physical punishment.

I've always seen it said that we should not include stat and flag changes in our drafts, as the Editors handle them, and it's up to us to make it clear in the writing what occurs. Is that not accurate?

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:15 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:I've always seen it said that we should not include stat and flag changes in our drafts, as the Editors handle them, and it's up to us to make it clear in the writing what occurs. Is that not accurate?

Definitely true for stats. Flags are ok though. I always make note of flag changes when I draft in GI.
Last edited by Baggieland on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:15 am

Alright - second draft is up!

I clarified the text in option 3, and tweaked that of option 4 slightly as well.

Also, I added the flag change call-outs Baggieland requested.

Round 2, begin!

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:42 am

Would you like to take the scissors out and give the description a bit of a trim? :)

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:12 am

Baggieland wrote:Would you like to take the scissors out and give the description a bit of a trim? :)

Well, it's only two sentences, and is shorter than most of the options, so I don't feel like it's got too much fat on it. Let's see what ol' Sweeny Todd can do.

Current text:
Months of investigation by the relevant departments has led to a disturbing report being released – an alarming number of judges across @@NAME@@ have been accepting kickbacks from private prison operators in exchange for sending inmates their way. In many cases, their crimes were so minor that the prisoners would normally have been let off with a warning or a fine, but it appears they have been sent to prison strictly to line the pockets of the parties in question.

Modifications:
A months-long of investigation by the relevant departments has revealed that led to a disturbing report being released – an alarming number of judges across @@NAME@@ have been accepting kickbacks from private prisons operators in exchange for sending inmates their way. In many cases, their crimes were so minor that the perpetrators would normally have been let off with a warning or a fine, but it appears they have been sent to prison strictly to line the pockets of the parties in question.

New text:
A months-long investigation has revealed that an alarming number of judges across @@NAME@@ have been accepting kickbacks from private prisons in exchange for sending inmates their way. In many cases, the perpetrators would normally have been let off with a warning or fine, but it appears they have been sent to prison strictly to line the pockets of the parties in question.

This will necessitate a simple word replacement in option 3 (report -> investigation), but yields a reduction of 16 words in total description length.

It doesn't have quite the panache of its predecessor, but it still gets the information out. Does that accomplish what you had in mind?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:07 am

Length looks good.

Please take out flag change suggestions - if the options tell the story properly it'll be obvious to us which policies need changing. If they don't, then the changes won't be indicated.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:29 am

Baggieland wrote:
Verdant Haven wrote:
I've always seen it said that we should not include stat and flag changes in our drafts, as the Editors handle them, and it's up to us to make it clear in the writing what occurs. Is that not accurate?

Definitely true for stats. Flags are ok though. I always make note of flag changes when I draft in GI.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Please take out flag change suggestions - if the options tell the story properly it'll be obvious to us which policies need changing. If they don't, then the changes won't be indicated.

Aaaah! I hate it when mommy and daddy fight!

Seriously, I'm fine going either way :-P Just need to know what's official!

(Flag changes taken back out)
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:41 pm

Baggieland wrote:

And as an effect line, fruit companies can bribe judges to help them sell excess stock
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:31 am

Australian rePublic wrote:And as an effect line, fruit companies can bribe judges to help them sell excess stock
We already have that one. Almost.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:23 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:And as an effect line, fruit companies can bribe judges to help them sell excess stock
We already have that one. Almost.

I see...

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:43 am

Verdant Haven wrote:
Baggieland wrote:

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

Aaaah! I hate it when mommy and daddy fight!

Seriously, I'm fine going either way :-P Just need to know what's official!

(Flag changes taken back out)

Wait, which of us is mommy? :p

Anyway, mum and dad are going to pretend to agree now. Of course it's okay to put flag changes in. However, it's also something you shouldn't do, or daddy will come and hit you with the big stick, okay?

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:15 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Wait, which of us is mommy?

You can be mum. I'll leave you to deal with the kids!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:10 am

Baggieland wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Wait, which of us is mommy?

You can be mum. I'll leave you to deal with the kids!

Eh, I'm modern and open minded, I'll be mum then. Still in charge though, heh heh. *thwacks Baggie round the head with a rolling pin*

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:29 am

2nd draft has been updated to reflect the shortened description text.

I know enough not to mess with mum! Flags are gone :-P

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:38 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Eh, I'm modern and open minded, I'll be mum then. Still in charge though, heh heh. *thwacks Baggie round the head with a rolling pin*

Now I've got the ball & chain out of my way, I can get on and read the newspaper in peace!

Seriously though, VH, good issue, I can't see anything major that needs changing. Probably good to go now. But I'd leave it in GI for a tad longer in case some eagle-eyed person spots something!

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Baggieland wrote:Seriously though, VH, good issue, I can't see anything major that needs changing. Probably good to go now. But I'd leave it in GI for a tad longer in case some eagle-eyed person spots something!

Thanks! And aye, I'll leave it up 'til next week. Don't want to rush things!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:28 am

Yep, looks good to mum too.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:12 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Yep, looks good to mum too.

Thanks, mum!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?