NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] - Pushing the Envelope

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

[SUBMITTED] - Pushing the Envelope

Postby Candensia » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:35 am

This is a departure from my usual topic-area. So this may work, or it may not.
First Draft
[DRAFT] - Pushing The Envelope

[The Issue] - Some of your stingier advisors have proposed cutting Dear @@TYPE@@, a government-funded pen-pal program between bureaucrats and @@CAPITAL@@-area elementary-schoolers.

[issuevalidity] - High Compassion. High Taxation.

[Option 1] - "@@LEADER@@, I know exactly what you’re thinking: how adorable!" beams Minister of Early Childhood Affection, @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, her upbeat attitude shifting to a dangerously serious one as she sets her soul-piercing gaze upon you. "So listen up. What’s good for these bubbly bundles-of-joy is what’s good for @@NAME@@. If you cut this program, I will cut you...out of my life- I mean I’ll resign! Anyway, I know you have a heart, @@LEADER@@, so grant it an expansion instead."

[Effect] - spelling mistakes come at great cost to the nation

[Option 2] - "I hadn’t thought of factoring her departure into our savings," chimes in Bureau of Frugality Director @@RANDOMNAME@@ while giddily punching numbers into a calculator. "Yes, the program does tug at the heartstrings, but it’s also yanking at the purse-strings! The @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ we’d save by cutting it can still go to the kids, just in the form of something more useful, like say, spelling books. They better make 'em last, though."

[Effect] - elementary students are experts at spelling the word 'heartless'

[Option 3] - "I have an idea," interrupts unpaid intern @@RANDOMNAME@@. "These youngsters want to know what it’s like working for @@LEADER@@, right? So let’s have them come in for eight hour shifts on the weekdays- like me. I’m positive they can run papers between offices faster than I. It would be a valuable experience for them, and probably looks good on a résumé too."

[Effect] - the government officially refuses to eat its vegetables
[policychange] - Enacts Child Labour

Current Draft

[DRAFT] - Pushing The Envelope SUBMITTED 2/10/2019

[The Issue] - Some of your stingier advisors have proposed cutting Dear @@TYPE@@, a government-funded pen-pal program between bureaucrats and @@CAPITAL@@-area elementary-schoolers.

[issuevalidity] - High Compassion. High Taxation.

[Option 1] - "@@LEADER@@, I know exactly what you’re thinking: how adorable!" beams Minister of Early Childhood Affection, @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, her upbeat attitude shifting dangerously serious as she sets a soul-piercing gaze upon you. "So listen here. What’s good for these bubbly bundles-of-joy is what’s good for @@NAME@@. If you cut my program, I will cut you...out of my life- I mean I’ll resign! Anyway, I know you have a heart, @@LEADER@@, so grant it an expansion instead."

[Effect] - career codebreakers lose sleep deciphering childish hieroglyphics

[Option 2] - "I hadn’t thought of factoring her departure into our savings," chimes in Bureau of Frugality Director @@RANDOMNAME@@ while giddily punching numbers into a calculator. "Yes, the program tugs at the heartstrings, but it’s also yanking at the purse-strings! The @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ we’d save by cutting it can still go to the kids, just in the form of something more useful, like say, spelling books. They better make 'em last, though."

[Effect] - elementary students are experts at spelling the word 'heartless'

[Option 3] - "I have an idea," interrupts unpaid intern @@RANDOMNAME@@. "These youngsters want to know what it’s like working for @@LEADER@@, right? So let’s have them come in for eight hour shifts on the weekdays- like me. I’m positive they can run papers between offices faster than I. It would be a valuable experience for them, and probably looks good on a résumé too."

[Effect] - the government officially refuses to eat its vegetables
[policychange] - Enacts Child Labour
Last edited by Candensia on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:03 am, edited 22 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Far Tholk
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Far Tholk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:08 pm

I like it a lot!

Could you explain the first effect line?

At the end of Option 2, "em'" should be ''em' (the apostrophe should go at the beginning), since it's a contraction of 'them.'

In Option 3, I would spell it 'résumé,' but I think that's a stylistic choice.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:32 pm

I will cut you...out of my life- I mean I’ll resign!

Yes, the program does tug at the heartstrings, but it’s also yanking at the purse-strings

:rofl:

Ironically, option 1 isn't very compassionate at all. Still, really nice-looking draft. :P
ed: glad to see an issue like this for nations with high compassion and high taxation, too;
especially where the compassionate option's offered by someone more aggressive!
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:58 pm

Far Tholk wrote:I like it a lot!

Could you explain the first effect line?

At the end of Option 2, "em'" should be ''em' (the apostrophe should go at the beginning), since it's a contraction of 'them.'

In Option 3, I would spell it 'résumé,' but I think that's a stylistic choice.

Thanks!

I’ve modified the draft accordingly.

I’m not too keen on Effect 1, or Effect 2 for that matter. I’ll be twisting stuff.

EDIT: @Jutsa, strange that Option 1 irony, eh?
Last edited by Candensia on Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Far Tholk
Bureaucrat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Far Tholk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:40 pm

Candensia wrote:I‘m not too keen on Effect 1, or Effect 2 for that matter. I’ll be twisting stuff.
I actually think Effect 2 is pretty good. Just, the first one doesn't make sense to me; I don't see why spelling errors would be the cause of the cost. The pen-pal program itself I'm sure has a cost, in time and money, but the current Effect 1 isn't the best way to express that.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:50 pm

Nice issue!

Far Tholk wrote:I actually think Effect 2 is pretty good. Just, the first one doesn't make sense to me; I don't see why spelling errors would be the cause of the cost. The pen-pal program itself I'm sure has a cost, in time and money, but the current Effect 1 isn't the best way to express that.

Have to agree with Far Tholk here. Effect 2 is good, effect 3 is excellent, effect 1 not so good. Something to do with the wheels of government not turning until the kids have seen it? Sorry, it's early in the morning here and I don't have my thinking head on yet!

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:46 pm

Get those wheels in your head turning, Baggie! I have faith in you!
Also yeah, if you're in Europe like I assume you are, it's really, really early in the mornin' for ya >__<
(could be wrong but I'm taking a guess here.)

Also sorry to veer off-topic but aside from that, I really don't have anything to add. It's good. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:00 pm

Jutsa wrote:Get those wheels in your head turning, Baggie! I have faith in you!

No pressure! Nope, sorry, still early here :)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:12 am

I never knew this program existed
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:22 am

Thanks for the feedback, colleagues! :)

I’ve come up with some possible replacements for Effect 1. I’ll just throw them out.

[Effect] - more money is spent deciphering childish hieroglyphics than on letter postage

Far Tholk
Bureaucrat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Far Tholk » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:25 am

Candensia wrote:Thanks for the feedback, colleagues! :)

I’ve come up with some possible replacements for Effect 1. I’ll just throw them out.

I love this one!

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Far Tholk wrote:
Candensia wrote:Thanks for the feedback, colleagues! :)

I love this one!

Excellent.

I’ve updated the draft version.

Effect 1 has been replaced. I’ve also trimmed some wordiness out of option 1.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:48 pm

Further comments are welcome.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:25 am

Feeling good about this one. I’ll mail it out in a few days time.

Last call.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:04 am

Draft mailed-in. Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:49 am

Good Luck
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Far Tholk
Bureaucrat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Far Tholk » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:23 pm

Good luck!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?