NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED - 7/28/18] Mommy and Daddy Issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

[SUBMITTED - 7/28/18] Mommy and Daddy Issues

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:49 am

As I said, I am changing the alimony issue into a child support issue, because the controversy here seems less tricky to tackle. But let's see.

Draft 2
[description]You and one of your brothers were preparing to buy a nice and expensive gift for your mom's birthday, but your plans were thwarted when your brother came to your office and broke down in tears. Aggrieved and embittered, he tells you that he is strapped for cash and cannot pay for the gift, since he has had to pay a hefty sum to his ex-wife for child support again.

[validity] divorce is legal

1. [option]"This is unfair!" wails your brother, hugging you and crying on your shoulder. "@@RANDOMFEMALEFIRSTNAME_1@@ already works and clearly earns more than I do. After all, she resides in a 3-bedroom villa in the countryside, while I am cooped up in a studio penthouse downtown @@CAPITAL@@. And yet I have to pay half my salary to her every month! I think justice demands that child support be only paid if the custodial parents are significantly poorer than their ex-spouses."

[effect]many people transfer their assets to bank accounts in Manamana before divorcing their spouses

2. [option]"This doesn't go far enough!" yells @@RANDOMNAME@@, your secretary, who got divorced 15 years ago and has been avowedly single ever since. "My ex has the sole custody of our children, and I wasn't even given visitation rights at the time, because of a minor manslaughter on my crime record. So for 15 years, I have had to pay child support for kids whose faces I didn't even see. What nonsense! Parents shouldn't be forced to pay child support unless they share the kids' custody!"

[effect]children of rich non-custodial parents are typically out of sight, out of mind, and out of money

3. [option]"You don't know what you're talking about!" grumbles @@RANDOMFEMALEFIRSTNAME_1@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your brother's ex, bottle-feeding your niece while at the same time rocking the stroller of your slumbering nephew to and fro. "Caring for children incurs many expenses - food, diapers, toys, guitar classes, ballet lessons, desig- I mean, diaper bags, and what not! If couples make kids together, they should pay for them together as well, irrespective of their income differences."

[effect]child support loans with high interest rates are available in @@DEMONYM@@ banks for divorced parents

[description]You and your brother were preparing to buy a nice and expensive gift for your mother's birthday, but your joyful anticipation of the upcoming birthday party was quickly overshadowed when your brother came to your office and broke down in tears. Aggrieved and embittered, your brother tells you that he is strapped for cash and cannot pay for the gift, since he has had to pay a hefty sum to his ex-wife for child support again.

[validity] divorce is legal

1. [option]"This is unfair!" wails your brother, hugging you and crying on your shoulder. "@@RANDOMFEMALEFIRSTNAME_1@@ already works and clearly earns more than I do. After all, she resides in a 5-bathroom villa in the suburbs, while I am cooped up in a shabby studio penthouse downtown @@CAPITAL@@. And yet I have to pay half my salary to her for child support every month - as if she needed it! I think justice demands that child support be only paid if the parents who have the custody of the kids are significantly poorer than their ex-spouses."

[effect]many people suspiciously liquidate their assets and transfer them to their relatives' bank accounts before divorcing their spouses

2. [option]"This doesn't go far enough!" yells @@RANDOMNAME@@, your secretary, who got divorced 15 years ago and has been avowedly single ever since. "My ex has the sole custody of our children, and I wasn't even given visitation rights at the time, because of a minor manslaughter on my crime record. So for 15 years, I have had to pay child support for kids whose faces I haven't even seen. If I were to run into them on the street today, I wouldn't even recognize them! What nonsense! Parents shouldn't be forced to pay child support unless they share the kids' custody!"

[effect]children of rich non-custodial parents are typically out of sight, out of mind, and out of money

3. [option]"You don't know what you're talking about!" grumbles @@RANDOMFEMALEFIRSTNAME_1@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your brother's ex, bottle-feeding your baby niece while at the same time rocking the stroller of your slumbering nephew to and fro. "Looking after children incurs many expenses - food, diapers, toys, guitar classes, ballet lessons, tutelage, desig- I mean, diaper bags, and what not! Listen to me, if couples make kids together, they should pay for them together as well, irrespective of their income differences. End of the discussion!"

[effect]parents of adoptive kids are denied child support upon divorce as their spouses claim to have had no part in the reproduction process
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:09 pm

Option 1 assumes that real estate is cheaper downtown than in the suburbs, and taht's simply not true everywhere
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:41 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1 assumes that real estate is cheaper downtown than in the suburbs, and taht's simply not true everywhere

Maybe re-read it? :p

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:21 am

Bump?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:17 am

Hi F&F, this is a good issue, well written and with each point clearly made, however, my immediate concern is that everything is a bit too long, the description, the options and especially the effects. Take the scissors to everything; make it more concise and to the point.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 am

Good premise.

Effect lines are a little long, especially the first and third ones. Generally too many "commas" and "ands" for a good effect line.

I also think the options themselves could be more efficient in transmitting the information / jokes they have.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 am

heh. Simultaneous posts with the same advice! heh.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:25 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:heh. Simultaneous posts with the same advice! heh.

Great minds think alike. Or is it fools never differ? :) :)

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:21 am

Baggieland wrote:Hi F&F, this is a good issue, well written and with each point clearly made, however, my immediate concern is that everything is a bit too long, the description, the options and especially the effects. Take the scissors to everything; make it more concise and to the point.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Good premise.

Effect lines are a little long, especially the first and third ones. Generally too many "commas" and "ands" for a good effect line.

I also think the options themselves could be more efficient in transmitting the information / jokes they have.

Many thanks to both of you :)

I tried to shorten the description and the options a bit - but this shortening was only about 0.5 lines or so :P I guess I'm not good at chopping away at long options.

But I did shorten the effect lines quite a bit (with the exception of the effect line for 2, where I really like the "out of sight, out of mind, out of money" joke - but should I get rid of it just to avoid having commas in an effect line?)

Also, does the effect line of Option 3 sound well? Because I don't know how often the word "pillage" is used as a noun.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:41 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:But I did shorten the effect lines quite a bit (with the exception of the effect line for 2, where I really like the "out of sight, out of mind, out of money" joke - but should I get rid of it just to avoid having commas in an effect line?)
I think the commas are okay, a short phrase like "out of mind" can't be confused for a verb phrase.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Also, does the effect line of Option 3 sound well? Because I don't know how often the word "pillage" is used as a noun.
I've never heard it used as a noun before (that I can remember), but according to my dictionary it can be.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:25 am

Correct, but archaic.

"pillaging" as the noun might be more appropriate here anyway, as pillaging is more clearly referring to the child-rearer engaging in the act of pillaging, whereas pillage could be there being pillage around the child, or pillage of the child.

Even better would be "plundered treasure", which then takes away the icky contexts of the word pillage (often being used in the phrase "rape and pillage") being used near the word "child". Plus "plundered treasure" sounds piratical, which always has some subconscious humour associations.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:22 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:"pillaging" as the noun might be more appropriate here anyway, as pillaging is more clearly referring to the child-rearer engaging in the act of pillaging, whereas pillage could be there being pillage around the child, or pillage of the child.
The current form was used because Frieden-und Freudenland was making a pun on the traditional phrase "it takes a village". You're right that the verb form would be preferable otherwise, but it would lose the pun.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:27 am

I got the "it takes a pillage/village" pun. But I have to agree with CWA that having "pillage" near "child" -- due to historic associations -- could risk being squicky.

Overall, I think it's a great issue.

I do have to wonder if the portrayal of the brother in #1 is in-keeping with usual portrayals of "your brother", who's something of an amoral psychopath. I suggest substituting with another relative or perhaps adding the word "other" (to differentiate him from psycho-bro).
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:47 am

Never heard that phrase, my bad. I definitely don't want to kill the joke.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:39 am

The Free Joy State wrote:I got the "it takes a pillage/village" pun. But I have to agree with CWA that having "pillage" near "child" -- due to historic associations -- could risk being squicky.

Overall, I think it's a great issue.

I do have to wonder if the portrayal of the brother in #1 is in-keeping with usual portrayals of "your brother", who's something of an amoral psychopath. I suggest substituting with another relative or perhaps adding the word "other" (to differentiate him from psycho-bro).

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Never heard that phrase, my bad. I definitely don't want to kill the joke.

Alright, thank you. I changed the brother to "one of your brothers."

I also changed the effect line for 3.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?