NATION

PASSWORD

PUBLISHED: Damn! We're up the creek!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

PUBLISHED: Damn! We're up the creek!

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:52 am

[title] Damn! We're up the creek!

[desc] @@NAME@@'s longest, perennial warm water river, the Fanoob, is a major shipping lane for @@REGION@@. However, Ercula, a downstream nation, has unveiled its plans to dam the river, prohibiting any ships from travelling further upstream, beyond their waters. Having unsuccessfully tried to convince Ercula to not proceed with the project, you have called an emergency meeting in @@CAPITAL@@.
[validity] Must allow foreign trade, must allow cars and trucks

[option] "@@LEADER@@, our cities will be dead in the water," complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, the mayor of Potamopolis, a city on the banks of the Fanoob, "but we have an opportunity here. We can finally have those new railway lines to the oceanic port of @@ANIMAL@@ City, oh and upgrades to our highways, oh and new airports, oh, and a rolling highway. A rolling highway would be cool!"
[effect] the new dry ports next to navigable rivers has created a stereotype of aquaphobic @@DENONYMPLURAL@@

[option] "You think you have problems, what about us?" asks ambassador @@RANDOMNAME@@, from Thersti, an upstream landlocked country. "Our only access to the sea is through the Fanoob! The damned dam would mean cargo ships can't travel from our nation to the ocean, at all! What do you say we gather our armies, along with the other upstream countries, and blow Ercula out of the water!"
[option validity] must have a military

[effect] politely informing @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ civilian ships that they accidentally veered into another nation's waters is considered an act of war

[option] "You think you have problems, what about us?" asks ambassador @@RANDOMNAME@@, from Thersti, an upstream landlocked country. "Our only access to the sea is through the Fanoob! The damned dam would mean cargo ships can't travel from our nation to the ocean, at all! What do you say you rebuild your army, team up with us and the other upstream countries, and blow Ercula out of the water!"
[option validity] must not have a military

[effect] politely informing @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ civilian ships that they accidentally veered into another nation's waters is considered an act of war

[option] "Please don't cry a river," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, a civil engineer, whilst pulling out a map. "We can build a new canal connecting the Fanoob to the ocean." @@HE@@ draws on the map with a marker,."This could be the the route. The furthest of these inland towns is only 10 kilometres away from the proposed canal route, so if we give each of these towns a grant, they can expand out to the banks of the canal and become port cities! Sure, the route will be in the valley which is already prone to flooding, but nobody would dare upset us if we controlled the access from the Fanoob to the sea! It's win-win-win!"
[effect] the government is building expensive infrastructure in order to justify building even more expensive infrastructure

[desc] @@NAME@@'s longest, perennial warm water river, the Fanoob, is a major shipping lane for @@REGION@@. However, Ercula, a downstream nation, has unveiled its plans to dam the river, prohibiting any ships from travelling further upstream, beyond their waters. Have unsuccessfully tried to convince Ercula to not proceed with the project, you have called an emergency meeting in @@CAPITAL@@.
[validity] Must allow foreign trade, must allow cars and trucks, must have a military

[option] "@@LEADER@@, our cities will be dead in the water," complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, the mayor of Potamopolis, a city on the banks of the Fanoob, "but we have an opportunity here, we can finally have those upgrades to the highways and rail lines we have been asking for! If we can't bring ships here, then we'll ship our goods to @@ANIMAL@@ City!"
[effect] the new rail line which runs next to a navigable river has created a stereotype of aquaphobic @@DENONYMPLURAL@@

[option] "You think you have problems, what about us?" asks ambassador @@RANDOMNAME@@, from Thersti, an upstream landlocked country, "Our only access to the sea is through the Fanoob! The damned dam would mean cargo ships can't travel from our nation to the ocean, at all! What do you say we gather our armies, along with the other upstream countries, and blow Ercula out of the water!"

[effect] politely informing @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ civilian ships that they accidentally veered into an other nation's waters is considered an act of war

[option] "Please don't cry a river," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, a civil engineer, whilst pulling out a map, "We can build a new canal connecting the Fanoob to the ocean! This would be the proposed route. The furthest of these inland towns is only 10 kilometres away from the proposed canal route, so if we give each of these towns a grant, they can expand out to the banks of the canal and become port cities! Also, no one would dare upset us if we controlled the access from the Fanoob to the sea! It's win-win-win!"
[effect] the government is building expensive infrastructure in order to justify building even more expensive infrastructure

[desc] @@NAME@@'s longest, perennial warm water river, the Fanoob, is a major shipping lane for @@REGION@@. However, Ercula, a downstream nation, has unveiled its plans to dam the river, prohibiting any ships from travelling further upstream, beyond their waters. After speaking to the leader of Ercula, who refused to head your requests, and with only a year to act, you have called an emergency meeting in @@CAPITAL@@, with key members of @@NAME@@’s government, and foreign diplomats from neighbouring countries.
[validity] Must allow foreign trade, must allow cars and trucks, must have a military

[option] "@@LEADER@@, our cities will be dead in the water,
," complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, the mayor of Potamopolis, a city on the banks of the Fanoob, who is speaking on behalf of all @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ cities and towns on the river, "but we have an opportunity here, we can finally have those upgrades to the highways and rail lines we have been asking for! If our factories and farms can't trade with ships, then they can send their goods to the port of @@ANIMAL@@ City! On the plus side, e can also provide better access to passengers and motorists!"
[effect] the new rail line which runs next to a navigable river has created a stereotype of aquaphobic @@DENONYMPLURAL@@

[option] “You think you have problems, what about us?" asks ambassador @@RANDOMNAME@@, from Thersti, an upstream landlocked country, "Our only access to the sea is through the Fanoob! Damn Ercula! Well, actually, don't damn them. That would mean cargo ships can't travel from our nation to the ocean at all! What do you say we gather our armies, along with the other upstream countries, and blow Ercula out of the water!"

[effect] politely informing @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ civilian ships that they accidently veered into an other nation's waters is considered an act of war

[option] "Where you see a crisis, I see opportunity," suggests mayor @@RANDOMNAME@@, once again reminding you of the existence @@HIS@@ town, whilst the attending members of your cabenate roll their eyes, "For decades, we were always ignored when asking for new infrastructure. When we want new factories, we're too far from the rail line, and when we ask for a rail line, we're too far from factories. Finally, our town can have a river running through it, and end the vicious cycle! By which I mean build a canal linking the Fanoob to the sea." @@HE@@ pulls out a map," as you can see, my town is only 10 kilometres away from the closest direct, route between the Fanoob and the ocean, when you take mountains into consideration. And with @@NANE@@ controlling access between the Fanoob and the sea, no one would dare upset us! Just give my town a grant so we expand out to the canal, and there could be a new major port city!"
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:55 am

Another good premise here Aussie. However, while I get what each speaker is proposing, it's all a bit long-winded. Fancy getting the scissors out and be a bit more to the point?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:39 am

Baggieland wrote:Another good premise here Aussie. However, while I get what each speaker is proposing, it's all a bit long-winded. Fancy getting the scissors out and be a bit more to the point?

The second draft is up! Thanks!
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:24 am

Looking much better Aussie. :)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:02 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Have unsuccessfully tried to convince Ercula to not proceed with the project, you have called an emergency meeting in @@CAPITAL@@.
Should be "having".

Australian rePublic wrote:[validity] Must allow foreign trade, must allow cars and trucks, must have a military
I'd delete the "must have a military" requirement and move it to option 2. (Maybe even with an alternate version for no-military nations, asking you to rebuild the military, or asking you to contribute funding to the allied militaries without sending soldiers of your own.)

Australian rePublic wrote:[option] "@@LEADER@@, our cities will be dead in the water," complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, the mayor of Potamopolis, a city on the banks of the Fanoob, "but we have an opportunity here, we can finally have those upgrades to the highways and rail lines we have been asking for! If we can't bring ships here, then we'll ship our goods to @@ANIMAL@@ City!"
...Wait, where would these railways be going? If the point is that the river is passing through another nation, and you want to avoid being at the mercy of that nation, then obviously you'd need to find a different route to the sea, not just build the railway right next to the river.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:21 am

Very nice issue, but option 1 feels a bit... underwhelming. In my opinion, you should have the speaker ask for an enormous overhaul: rails, yes, but also roads, airports and ideally something esoteric too. Couple that with some kind of a renegotiation of trade with the other country to get it really clinched.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:49 pm

I really like the premise, but, as it stands now, I think most people would just instantly choose option 3. Unlike the previous 2 options, the option has no obvious downsides, and even though it implies a truly monumental scale of construction, that's just Tuesday for NS. The only clear disadvantage is that it would probably increase tax rates and government spending, but practically every single decision in NS does that, so NS players have a culture of just ignoring tax increases. I don't know what you should have as a downside, though. You could probably take a lesson from NS's earliest issues and just say that it'll divert funding from other areas, but it might be a better idea to chose something more unique. Maybe the new canals could somehow make the area more susceptible to flooding? Perhaps, in order to build the canals, habitats need to be destroyed? I don't know.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:43 am

Third Draft is up
Baggieland wrote:Looking much better Aussie. :)

Thanks! :)

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Have unsuccessfully tried to convince Ercula to not proceed with the project, you have called an emergency meeting in @@CAPITAL@@.
Should be "having".

Fixed. Thanks!
Australian rePublic wrote:[validity] Must allow foreign trade, must allow cars and trucks, must have a military
I'd delete the "must have a military" requirement and move it to option 2. (Maybe even with an alternate version for no-military nations, asking you to rebuild the military, or asking you to contribute funding to the allied militarises without sending soldiers of your own.)

Excellent idea. Implemented. Thanks!

Australian rePublic wrote:[option] "@@LEADER@@, our cities will be dead in the water," complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, the mayor of Potamopolis, a city on the banks of the Fanoob, "but we have an opportunity here, we can finally have those upgrades to the highways and rail lines we have been asking for! If we can't bring ships here, then we'll ship our goods to @@ANIMAL@@ City!"
...Wait, where would these railways be going? If the point is that the river is passing through another nation, and you want to avoid being at the mercy of that nation, then obviously you'd need to find a different route to the sea, not just build the railway right next to the river.

Thanks!

Thanks for your help! :)

Drayxaso wrote:I really like the premise, but, as it stands now, I think most people would just instantly choose option 3. Unlike the previous 2 options, the option has no obvious downsides, and even though it implies a truly monumental scale of construction, that's just Tuesday for NS. The only clear disadvantage is that it would probably increase tax rates and government spending, but practically every single decision in NS does that, so NS players have a culture of just ignoring tax increases. I don't know what you should have as a downside, though. You could probably take a lesson from NS's earliest issues and just say that it'll divert funding from other areas, but it might be a better idea to chose something more unique. Maybe the new canals could somehow make the area more susceptible to flooding? Perhaps, in order to build the canals, habitats need to be destroyed? I don't know.

Fixed. Thanks for your help!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Bump

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:20 pm

Description wrote:[desc] @@NAME@@'s longest, perennial warm water river, the Fanoob, is a major shipping lane for @@REGION@@. However, Ercula, a downstream nation, has unveiled its plans to dam the river, prohibiting any ships from travelling further upstream, beyond their waters. Having unsuccessfully tried to convince Ercula to not proceed with the project, you have called an emergency meeting in @@CAPITAL@@.
I like the premise of this issue. Unique and fun.

Option 1 wrote:[option] "@@LEADER@@, our cities will be dead in the water," complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, the mayor of Potamopolis, a city on the banks of the Fanoob, "but we have an opportunity here, we can finally have those new railway lines to the oceanic port of @@ANIMAL@@ City, oh and upgrades to our highways, oh and new airports, oh, and a rolling highway. A rolling highway would be coll!"
The comma in red needs to be changed to either a semicolon or just a new sentence. I also assume you mean cool in the last word of the option?

Option 2 wrote:[option] "You think you have problems, what about us?" asks ambassador @@RANDOMNAME@@, from Thersti, an upstream landlocked country, "Our only access to the sea is through the Fanoob! The damned dam would mean cargo ships can't travel from our nation to the ocean, at all! What do you say we gather our armies, along with the other upstream countries, and blow Ercula out of the water!"
The comma after country should probably be a period. I also love the nation name. :P (Apply the same to option 3)

Effect 2 wrote:[effect] politely informing @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ civilian ships that they accidentally veered into an other nation's waters is considered an act of war
another*

Option 4 wrote:[option] "Please don't cry a river," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, a civil engineer, whilst pulling out a map, "We can build a new canal connecting the Fanoob to the ocean! This would be the proposed route. The furthest of these inland towns is only 10 kilometres away from the proposed canal route, so if we give each of these towns a grant, they can expand out to the banks of the canal and become port cities! Sure, the route will be in the valley which is already prone to flooding, but nobody would dare upset us if we controlled the access from the Fanoob to the sea! It's win-win-win!"
The comma after map should probably be a period, again. The sentence I highlighted is one that I do not get; is it supposed to mean the route is in the sentence directly after it? It has no flow really.

Effect 4 wrote:[effect] the government is building expensive infrastructure in order to justify building even more expensive infrastructure
Great line!

Overall, I like this issue, but there are just a few grammatical errors. :P
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:05 pm

Last call before submission
EDITED. Since it was mostly a few grammatical changes, I didn't bother with a new draft
Sacara wrote:
Description wrote:[desc] @@NAME@@'s longest, perennial warm water river, the Fanoob, is a major shipping lane for @@REGION@@. However, Ercula, a downstream nation, has unveiled its plans to dam the river, prohibiting any ships from travelling further upstream, beyond their waters. Having unsuccessfully tried to convince Ercula to not proceed with the project, you have called an emergency meeting in @@CAPITAL@@.
I like the premise of this issue. Unique and fun.

Option 1 wrote:[option] "@@LEADER@@, our cities will be dead in the water," complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, the mayor of Potamopolis, a city on the banks of the Fanoob, "but we have an opportunity here, we can finally have those new railway lines to the oceanic port of @@ANIMAL@@ City, oh and upgrades to our highways, oh and new airports, oh, and a rolling highway. A rolling highway would be coll!"
The comma in red needs to be changed to either a semicolon or just a new sentence. I also assume you mean cool in the last word of the option?

Option 2 wrote:[option] "You think you have problems, what about us?" asks ambassador @@RANDOMNAME@@, from Thersti, an upstream landlocked country, "Our only access to the sea is through the Fanoob! The damned dam would mean cargo ships can't travel from our nation to the ocean, at all! What do you say we gather our armies, along with the other upstream countries, and blow Ercula out of the water!"
The comma after country should probably be a period. I also love the nation name. :P (Apply the same to option 3)

Effect 2 wrote:[effect] politely informing @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ civilian ships that they accidentally veered into an other nation's waters is considered an act of war
another*

Fixed, thanks!

Option 4 wrote:[option] "Please don't cry a river," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, a civil engineer, whilst pulling out a map, "We can build a new canal connecting the Fanoob to the ocean! This would be the proposed route. The furthest of these inland towns is only 10 kilometres away from the proposed canal route, so if we give each of these towns a grant, they can expand out to the banks of the canal and become port cities! Sure, the route will be in the valley which is already prone to flooding, but nobody would dare upset us if we controlled the access from the Fanoob to the sea! It's win-win-win!"
The comma after map should probably be a period, again. The sentence I highlighted is one that I do not get; is it supposed to mean the route is in the sentence directly after it? It has no flow really.

Thanks. I re-worded it, hopefully it makes more sense now

Effect 4 wrote:[effect] the government is building expensive infrastructure in order to justify building even more expensive infrastructure
Great line!

Overall, I like this issue, but there are just a few grammatical errors. :P

Fixed, thanks!
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:41 pm

@@HE@@ draws on the map with a marker,
Period at the end.
Also the final option's just a little bit long, but if you can't shorten it, that's OK.

Mostly just wanted to drop by and say that this is a pretty nice draft.
Nice to see two new proposed nations and a city. Love Thersti. :rofl:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:13 pm

SUBMITTED
[qote="Jutsa";p="33831296"]
@@HE@@ draws on the map with a marker,
Period at the end.
[/quote]
Thanks!
Also the final option's just a little bit long, but if you can't shorten it, that's OK.

I don't think I can...
Mostly just wanted to drop by and say that this is a pretty nice draft.
Nice to see two new proposed nations and a city. Love Thersti. :rofl:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Good luck, Aussie. :D
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:25 am

Jutsa wrote:Good luck, Aussie. :D

Thanks!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:45 am

Issue 1071. Thanks to The Marsupial Illuminati for the Publish!
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:46 am

PUBLISHED*. And congrats.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:47 am

Sacara wrote:PUBLISHED*. And congrats.

Thanks

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:46 am

Congratulations, Aussie. :clap:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:35 pm

Jutsa wrote:Congratulations, Aussie. :clap:

Thanks!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?