NATION

PASSWORD

Are There (No) Problems with GMOs

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
All Natural France
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Are There (No) Problems with GMOs

Postby All Natural France » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:27 am

Now lets be clear, I am not stating that GMOs are the cause of Autism or any sort of conspiracy.

GMOs. Now I must ask, how healthy are these foods? I had never really questioned the healthiness of these foods until now. I had been reading some newspapers of sorts. Now lets be clear. Genetically Modified Foods do not cause health issues.

From the AMA:
"Bioengineered foods have been consumed for close to 20 years, and during that time, no overt consequences on human health have been reported and/or substantiated in the peer-reviewed literature."

From the United States Institute of Medicine and National Research Council (2004):
"In contrast to adverse health effects that have been associated with some traditional food production methods, similar serious health effects have not been identified as a result of genetic engineering techniques used in food production. This may be because developers of bioengineered organisms perform extensive compositional analyses to determine that each phenotype is desirable and to ensure that unintended changes have not occurred in key components of food."

Link

Genetically Modified food allegedly do not move genes from one organism to another without reproduction.

However when it comes to pesticide, which is non bio-degradable, it is said that with the increase of a certain weed comes to the fact that herbicides are, indeed used in GMOs, and in a large amount.

However, the whole point of this is to ask a question. What is your opinion on GMOs, what could be done to make GMOs better, etc. etc.

And before anyone states their opinion. I'd like to point out one thing. GMOs are no worse than conventional food, as per a broad scientific census.
American Association for the Advancement of Science, European Decade-Worth GMO study, Genetics Association of America, Scientific America, World Health Association, etc.

You get the point, but the question remains. What is your opinion on GMOs, and what can be done to GMOs, if anything.

My opinion on the matter remains that I trust GMOs, and able to completely trust the scientific backings of GMOs, and be able to eat in more safe ways rather than worry about such conspiracies or psuedoscientific findings of GMOs.

I was only able to skim rather than read entire sources, so forgive if any of my sources may seem contradictory.
Last edited by All Natural France on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Shakira France. A.K.A: Best country. You will never be above this country
An Agnostic Christian without regards to Sexuality
I do not believe the Bible is a foolproof way to represent Christianity or history.

Pro: Shakira, Rights for everyone, People who self-describe as "Weird", LGBT Rights, Animal Rights, Abortion(In almost all occasions), Acceptance, Secularism, Evolution, etc
Neutral: N/A
Formerly: Nothing. Add 0+ Posts.

Anti: Bible Thumping, Creationism, ISIS, The Bible's inaccuracies, People defining "The Norm", Evangelism with the intent to convert, being labeled with a sexuality, PETA, Theocracy, Anthropocentrism, etc

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:32 am

All foods you eat are genetically modified.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Mark of Chain
Secretary

Founded: Apr 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mark of Chain » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:34 am

The time frame has been too short to be able to extract any effect on human health. Even in another 50 years, it'll be very hard to disentangle the effect of GMOs from other trends. With smoking it wasn't so bad because they constructed longitudinal surveys in which is was easy to answer ''smoke a pack a day'', ''don't smoke a pack a day''. The same survey for GMOs is difficult because first, do you pay attention to how much GM food you eat, and second, there's an ''intensity'' factor, regarding how much the organism was modified. So short of a randomised controlled panel, it's unlikely we'll know.

That said, do we assume they're bad or good for human health? That I don't know. However, I feel comfortable eating GM food.

Mark of Chain
Secretary

Founded: Apr 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mark of Chain » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:35 am

Dyakovo wrote:All foods you eat are genetically modified.

I don't think they mean modified by a selection process. I think they specifically mean modified through introducing foreign genes through retrovirals. I can't name any food that has that.

Zakuvia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Zakuvia » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:02 am

I've been following a Youtuber who works very closely with GMO technologies and has a very approachable way of explaining GMO technology, as well as dispelling a lot of the paranoiac insanity that surrounds it.

Linky
Balance is important in diets, gymnastics, and governments most of all.
NOW CELEBRATING 10 YEARS OF NS!
-1.12, -0.46

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:06 am

Frankenfoods drive out natural sustainable crops.

Pioneer sued a neighboring farmer for "stealing" its wind-blown pollen.

Farmers commit suicide in India.

Should we not long ago have learned to distrust Monsanto?

Do Europeans have a reputation as ignorant Lollards? No. Yet here is the map of non-GMO regions in Europe: http://gmo.zs-intern.de/?id=1863
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:45 am

No they're rather fine. That doesn't mean every single GMO ever developed will be fine, just like how not every car model is safe, but on the whole they're fine. They have a lot of potential to bring much needed nutrition to certain parts of the world as well as increase crop yields (especially with development of drought resistant crops). Overall, they're a good thing for humanity.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:56 am

Pope Joan wrote:Frankenfoods drive out natural sustainable crops.

GM foods are, in general, more sustainable.

Pioneer sued a neighboring farmer for "stealing" its wind-blown pollen.

A problem with the legal system, not GM foods.

Farmers commit suicide in India.

I can confidently say that the agricultural situation in India is better now than without GM foods.

Should we not long ago have learned to distrust Monsanto?

Apart from Monsanto just being one company, they really aren't all that bad, as large corporations go. I mean, Shell is a fucking awful company, but I don't see you advocating for immediately ceasing using all oil products.

Do Europeans have a reputation as ignorant Lollards? No. Yet here is the map of non-GMO regions in Europe: http://gmo.zs-intern.de/?id=1863[/quote]
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:19 am

I'd like to be able to buy food grown with minimal herbicides and insecticides. Such food is certified as "organic" but generally I can't afford it. I only buy that way for stuff I'm going to eat raw (or with the skin on for fruits).

Here's the thing. GMO crops can be grown with less herbicide and insecticide than traditional crops! The only certification available ("organic") also excludes GMO crops. So effectively I have to subsidize anti-GMO consumers in order to get food that hasn't been sprayed with herbicides and/or insecticides. Well I also have to subsidize consumers who want food grown without artificial fertilizers but I don't care so much about that.

Food grown with herbicides and insecticides would be cheaper if it didn't have to meet a standard of "organic" which includes being non-GM.
Last edited by AiliailiA on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Scandinavian Nations
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Scandinavian Nations » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:21 am

Sooner or later, we'll have to start genetically modifying new human generations, to cope with the changes in Earth's environment, not necessarily anthropogenic ones. Other species do so through natural selection, but our refusal to let it apply to our species runs far deeper than our fear of GMO. And I'd much rather we cut our teeth on plants and livestock first.

There is no confirmed harm caused by consuming GM foods. If there is some one in a million chance of some complication decades down the line, so what, anyone here plans to live forever? If you want to take the best possible care of your body, you'll do a much better job adding an hour per week to your workout schedule than spending it looking for "organic" or "GM-free" products.
Those who don't remember history, are blessed to believe anything is possible when they're repeating it.

Draakonite
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Draakonite » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:38 am

Pope Joan wrote:Do Europeans have a reputation as ignorant Lollards? No. Yet here is the map of non-GMO regions in Europe: http://gmo.zs-intern.de/?id=1863

Oh yeah, Europe. Ban GMOs, ban nuclear power, ban caged housing.
At the same time, do absolutely nothing to lower the level of living. Who cares with what you power your 50 inches Flat screen, as long as it isn't nuclear. Who cares where your grain was grown and the impact on the people there, as long as it isn't GMO. Who cares what happens to the meat you eat, as long as it wasn't caged.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:18 am

Draakonite wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:Do Europeans have a reputation as ignorant Lollards? No. Yet here is the map of non-GMO regions in Europe: http://gmo.zs-intern.de/?id=1863

At the same time, do absolutely nothing to lower the level of living. Who cares with what you power your 50 inches Flat screen, as long as it isn't nuclear. Who cares where your grain was grown and the impact on the people there, as long as it isn't GMO. Who cares what happens to the meat you eat, as long as it wasn't caged.

I would rather allow the public, all citizens, to receive accurate disclosure of food contents, than to put the decision into the hands of elites.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:05 am

Pope Joan wrote:
Draakonite wrote:

I would rather allow the public, all citizens, to receive accurate disclosure of food contents, than to put the decision into the hands of elites.

And pray tell what sort of useful information will you be getting? Will you know which genes have been inserted or removed? What they do? What safety tests they had to go through before it went to market?

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:28 am

Anyone who thinks GMO's are gonna have terrible effects on their health is fooling themselves. That said, I do think there are definite potential environmental consequences associated with them, and it's best to be careful.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:30 am

Dyakovo wrote:All foods you eat are genetically modified.

GMOs usually refer to genetical engineering, not conventional breeding
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 am

Merizoc wrote:Anyone who thinks GMO's are gonna have terrible effects on their health is fooling themselves. That said, I do think there are definite potential environmental consequences associated with them, and it's best to be careful.

Not to say social, since (though this is not necessarily limited to GMOs, but especially present there) seed patenting can be a problem. And other similar things.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:33 am

Judging from the public forums I've been to on the subject, I'm fairly confident that GMO's are being treated with enough caution as is, especially in Europe.

The only thing that needs more work is education the general public. It's one things to write on packaging that something is genetically modified, but giving more information about why you're being sold that GMO would be helpful for people to understand.

Instead letting people rely on the media for some heavily watered-down info, the manufacturers could put some more effort into informing the consumer.

More often than not, the media takes it upon itself to interpret the news FOR their viewing public, which is a shitfaced tactic. People should interpret it themselves. If they don't stop treating the general public like halfwits that need their opinions offered to them then they'll really create a population of halfwits by doing so.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:35 am

Jute wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Anyone who thinks GMO's are gonna have terrible effects on their health is fooling themselves. That said, I do think there are definite potential environmental consequences associated with them, and it's best to be careful.

Not to say social, since (though this is not necessarily limited to GMOs, but especially present there) seed patenting can be a problem. And other similar things.

Seed patenting has existed long before GMO's.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:36 am

Napkiraly wrote:
Jute wrote:Not to say social, since (though this is not necessarily limited to GMOs, but especially present there) seed patenting can be a problem. And other similar things.

Seed patenting has existed long before GMO's.

Aye, the problem hasn't gotten worse with GMO's, it has roughly stayed as horrible as it's always been.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:39 am

Esternial wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Seed patenting has existed long before GMO's.

Aye, the problem hasn't gotten worse with GMO's, it has roughly stayed as horrible as it's always been.

It can have a new dimension, though. Couldn't it be that GMOs make it harder to switch to a different kind of seed?

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:46 am

Jute wrote:
Esternial wrote:Aye, the problem hasn't gotten worse with GMO's, it has roughly stayed as horrible as it's always been.

It can have a new dimension, though. Couldn't it be that GMOs make it harder to switch to a different kind of seed?

Not really. There are a number of companies that make them and I reckon there'll be more in the future. They'll each offer different kinds of seeds. Just like how seed companies currently do it.

Riuchen
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Riuchen » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:47 am

We really should have more research done on this..

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:48 am

Esternial wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Seed patenting has existed long before GMO's.

I'm not against seed patenting, just against how's it's generally used. Also just not really a fan in general of patent monopoly and what not.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:48 am

Jute wrote:
Esternial wrote:Aye, the problem hasn't gotten worse with GMO's, it has roughly stayed as horrible as it's always been.

There are plenty of alternatives on the market, and plant breeders' rights do not apply to everything, so new variants can always be made.

That said, if you want a specific GMO for it's qualities, you have to buy it from the developer. It's not different from any other product, and I'd say it'd be unfair to deny the developer its due profit as long as it owns the patent, especially since they need money to invest in new projects.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:49 am

Riuchen wrote:We really should have more research done on this..

We've already had two decades worth of research. They among the most researched things ever iirc.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General