NATION

PASSWORD

Sea Shepherd Supported Activists arrested by Japan Whaler

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:46 pm

TFF wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Why am I not surprised that you don't know what you're talking about?

LOL. Let it go little boy. You were shut down the last time you tried trolling me and I'll have you shut down again. Don't start snding me "I'm sorry telegrams" again either.

I'll take that little tantrum as an admission that you realize that you have no clue as to what you're talking about.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:is hunting humans legitimate? presume that the hunter intends to make full use of the human - eating the meat and making a lampshade with the skin, etc. why or why not?

humans do not equal whales. There is no moral equivalence. Whales are big sea cows, not mermaids.

ok, are you incapable of having a discussion of ethics or do you just not want to engage in one?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Willynillya wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Nope.

You might want to read more than one paragraph or dig a little deeper than Wikipedia for your Google debate.

You might want to read something other than anti-whaling propaganda.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:54 pm

Free Soviets wrote:is hunting humans legitimate? presume that the hunter intends to make full use of the human - eating the meat and making a lampshade with the skin, etc. why or why not?

No, because humans are given human rights. Humans are given human rights because humans make the rules and value other humans more highly than other non-humans.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Sorratsin
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorratsin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:55 pm

TFF wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Sorry, but they're operating under IWC approved permits. In other words, what the whalers are doing is perfectly legal... Unlike what the activists are doing...

Sorry, but IWC is the one who banned all commercial whaling in the area. Japan claims to be "researching" as they commercially harvest and kill hundreds of whales from this area under the pretense of research.

There are plenty of non-lethal means to research whales. Japan refuses to utilize these means because it prevents them from commercially killing, harvesting and profiting from the sale of their "researched" whale meat.

Who do you think gave them the permits to conduct the research?

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:humans do not equal whales. There is no moral equivalence. Whales are big sea cows, not mermaids.

ok, are you incapable of having a discussion of ethics or do you just not want to engage in one?

according to you, incapable. I do not see the difference, morally speaking, between killing and eating a cow, and killing and eating a whale, or killing or eating a sardine. THey are all living creatures that are trying to do their best to live fufilling lives being whatever the hell they are. You have no more right to take the life of a innocent sardine than you do any other non human creature. If you see a sliding scale i would suggest you have the ethical problem, not I.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:

No, because humans are given human rights. Humans are given human rights because humans make the rules and value other humans more highly than other non-humans.

so when the rules allow the killing of those fuckers across the river, that is actually fine and not a poor set of rules that should be improved?

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:03 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:ok, are you incapable of having a discussion of ethics or do you just not want to engage in one?

according to you, incapable. I do not see the difference, morally speaking, between killing and eating a cow, and killing and eating a whale, or killing or eating a sardine. THey are all living creatures that are trying to do their best to live fufilling lives being whatever the hell they are. You have no more right to take the life of a innocent sardine than you do any other non human creature. If you see a sliding scale i would suggest you have the ethical problem, not I.

you haven't offered a way to legitimately make that 'non-human' distinction, either. and as the intelligent alien example shows, there wouldn't appear to be one. or, if you don't like that one, how about if we clone neandertals? erectus? habilis? australopithicus? at what point in human ancestry are they 'non-human' and therefore huntable? and how do you make that call?
Last edited by Free Soviets on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TFF
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby TFF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
TFF wrote:
LOL. Let it go little boy. You were shut down the last time you tried trolling me and I'll have you shut down again. Don't start snding me "I'm sorry telegrams" again either.

I'll take that little tantrum as an admission that you realize that you have no clue as to what you're talking about.

More LOL! Do yourself a favor and stay on topic without attempting to flame people. Your 345th run-tell THREAD in the moderation forum whining about someone "attacking" you again was epic fail and number 346 ain't looking good either.

;)

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:09 pm

Free Soviets wrote:so when the rules allow the killing of those fuckers across the river, that is actually fine and not a poor set of rules that should be improved?

But the rules don't allow it.

If you can show a reason not to kill those fuckers across the river that this side of the river agrees with, go ahead. Make your case.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:15 pm

I know, rather that use these ridiculous tactics, why not find actual evidence that these ships aren't doing research, document it, and then bring the case to court or have the research allowance removed. Problem solved.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

TFF wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:I'll take that little tantrum as an admission that you realize that you have no clue as to what you're talking about.

More LOL! Do yourself a favor and stay on topic without attempting to flame people. Your 345th run-tell THREAD in the moderation forum whining about someone "attacking" you again was epic fail and number 346 ain't looking good either.

;)

So you've still got nothing? Kthanxbai.
Come back when you have a clue as to what we're talking about here.
Married to Koshka

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Neutraligon wrote:I know, rather that use these ridiculous tactics, why not find actual evidence that these ships aren't doing research, document it, and then bring the case to court or have the research allowance removed. Problem solved.

Technically, the Japanese are actually doing research and taking samples. Whatever's left is sold as meat.
Under New Management since 8/9/12

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:23 pm

Mosasauria wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:I know, rather that use these ridiculous tactics, why not find actual evidence that these ships aren't doing research, document it, and then bring the case to court or have the research allowance removed. Problem solved.

Technically, the Japanese are actually doing research and taking samples. Whatever's left is sold as meat.

Then the SS have nothing to stand on. They are preventing a research organization from performing a legal action. Once they manage to prove that the intent to the whaling is commercial rather than research, then they can actually do something. Otherwise I can't see how what they are doing is legal.
Just A Little though

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Mosasauria wrote:Technically, the Japanese are actually doing research and taking samples. Whatever's left is sold as meat.

Then the SS have nothing to stand on. They are preventing a research organization from performing a legal action. Once they manage to prove that the intent to the whaling is commercial rather than research, then they can actually do something. Otherwise I can't see how what they are doing is legal.

Precisely. The only reasonable action they can take is to remove the loophole in the IWC statues.
Like change it to "Research must be performed non-lethally" or something else like that.
Under New Management since 8/9/12

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Mosasauria wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Precisely. The only reasonable action they can take is to remove the loophole in the IWC statues.
Like change it to "Research must be performed non-lethally" or something else like that.

Problem is lethality studies can be useful, maybe a cap instead.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

TFF
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby TFF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:29 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
TFF wrote:

;)

So you've still got nothing? Kthanxbai.
Come back when you have a clue as to what we're talking about here.

More LOL! Sweetie, you aren't a former Sea Shepherd "fighter" nor a former member of Japans whaling industry nor a member of the ICW. By your own admission you're a kid who drives a broke down truck. State your opinion on the thread subject and refrain from telling others what they do or don't know. mkay?

ps. nice job running and reporting me for flamebaiting you. Congrats on your 346th "Run-Tell" thread! :clap:
Last edited by TFF on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:32 pm

TFF wrote:More LOL! Sweetie, you aren't a former Sea Shepherd "fighter" nor a former member of Japans whaling industry nor a member of the ICW. By your own admission you're a kid who drives a broke down truck. State your opinion on the thread subject and refrain from telling others what thy do or don't know. mkay?

ps. nice job running and reporting me for flamebaiting you. Congrats on your 346th "Run-Tell" thread!

Dyakovo a kid? Well, that sort of shifts the paradigm a little bit. We have a selection of fine wines here at NSG. Dyakovo is getting to be one of them. :p
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

TFF
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby TFF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Mosasauria wrote:

Technically, how many samples would you say should be required for their undocumented and unproven and unreleased..."research"? Just looking for a number.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:35 pm

TFF wrote:
Mosasauria wrote:Technically, the Japanese are actually doing research and taking samples. Whatever's left is sold as meat.

Technically, how many samples would you say should be required for their undocumented and unproven and unreleased..."research"? Just looking for a number.

According to the Japanese roughly 800 or 900 per year.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

you haven't offered a way to legitimately make that 'non-human' distinction, either. and as the intelligent alien example shows, there wouldn't appear to be one. or, if you don't like that one, how about if we clone neandertals? erectus? habilis? australopithicus? at what point in human ancestry are they 'non-human' and therefore huntable? and how do you make that call?

Human no eat, everything else, unless endangered, on the table.
Since we are unlikely to meet a neanderthal, except on my bowling team, it is not a distinction I have to make.

As to your alien, if evolutionary biology is any guide, the first thing they are going to test is how we go with a nice barbeque sauce and a beer.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Velociraptors
Secretary

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Velociraptors » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:41 pm

Good. Sea Shepherd is bad.

TFF
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby TFF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:43 pm

greed and death wrote:
TFF wrote:

Also according to the Japanese over half of those whales were pregnant females. That number seem incredibily high to anyone else?

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Velociraptors wrote:Good. Sea Shepherd is bad.

Indeed? Why are you of that opinion?
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:45 pm

greed and death wrote:
TFF wrote:

And they'd have no motive whatsoever to grossly exaggerate the figures...
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General