NATION

PASSWORD

The Obama Strikes Back: Revenge of the Copyright

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:10 pm

Xomic wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Yeah, and then it makes double or triple the money it cost to make it, making the people who worked on it rich enough not to notice another million dollars or so.

Most game devs are not rich in any sense. But honestly, if you're so mad that companies make money, why are you out stealing toilet paper or motherboards?

You mean... Why AREN'T I?

I steal a lot of stuff, either out of necessity or out of desire... But never out of anger.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Xomic
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 12, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Xomic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:15 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Xomic wrote:
Most game devs are not rich in any sense. But honestly, if you're so mad that companies make money, why are you out stealing toilet paper or motherboards?

You mean... Why AREN'T I?

oops

I steal a lot of stuff, either out of necessity or out of desire... But never out of anger.

I'm pretty sure you need toilet paper and desire motherboards. So why aren't you taking them?

More importantly, if the fact that game developing companies and publishers make money isn't causing to to steal for social justice, why bring it up?
Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Xomic wrote:I'm pretty sure you need toilet paper and desire motherboards. So why aren't you taking them?

More importantly, if the fact that game developing companies and publishers make money isn't causing to to steal for social justice, why bring it up?

... Who said I wasn't taking them? :eyebrow:
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:33 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20043421-281.html

Sigh. Seriously, I voted for Obama under the impression that he would, you know, not be a total dick. I didn't think he'd actually willingly let the Patriot Act and such go, but now they're thinking of expanding measures put in place, so we were told, to fight TERRORISTS for use against people who share files?

Really? Seriously?

Is there some place I can go to get my vote back?

Hysterical bullshit is hysterical, and bullshit.

Just because your source calls it 'sweeping', doesn't make it 'sweeping'.

Bringing streaming in line with other media options, vis a vs copyright protection, is hardly a paradigm shift.
I identify as
a problem

Rolamec
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:59 pm

Sigh. Seriously, I voted for Obama under the impression that he would, you know, not be a total dick. I didn't think he'd actually willingly let the Patriot Act and such go, but now they're thinking of expanding measures put in place, so we were told, to fight TERRORISTS for use against people who share files?

Really? Seriously?

You mean the guy who as a Senator voted in favor of extending and expanding the Patriot Act....that guy?
Rolamec of New Earth
A Proud and Progressive Republican.
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Economic Left/Right: 4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Bosiu
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bosiu » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:59 pm

greed and death wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:snip

On point 5. Have you listened to the music of today ?
There is no way the founders would have considered it a useful art.

:rofl:
Economic Left/Right: 2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.38
Balanced Freedom
46 Keynesian, 54 Chicago, 23 Austrian
American Libertarianism= 83%
Social Democracy= 83%
Anarchism= 75%
Neoliberalism= 75%

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:03 am

Copyright violation is theft. If Obama sees a political advantage in wanting to enforce this law more stringently, good for him.
Taking a break.

Republicke
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Republicke » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:47 am

Really? Seriously?

No one who is capable of attaining the Presidency is worthy of being President.
Economic Left/Right: -6.00, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.85

"Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for truth."
- B. Disraeli

Bramborska wrote:Muscular liberalism? He took my gay stripper name!

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:27 am

Orlkjestad wrote:I'm fine with the copyright crackdown, but isn't it true that wiretapping is illegal in the majority of cases? Wiretapping? What is this, 1984?

Rule 1 of 'ZOMGDEYTAKINR3DOMSAWAY!' Debates: Immediately compare it to 1984.
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

Ahh Art Daze Knight
Secretary

Founded: Mar 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ahh Art Daze Knight » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:45 am

United Dependencies wrote:To my knowledge the FBI has to get a warrent to tap somebody and considering that this news article doesn't tell us that they can get around that I'm going to assume the Bureau still has to. Honestly i've no problem with the government cracking down on people who steal files and such.

:rofl: The FBI NEEDS a court order but the other agencies do not. There's been wire tapping for decades that aren't used in court but are used to keep track of "subversives" (anybody who has been heard to say any of a few dozen words).

Ahh Art Daze Knight
Secretary

Founded: Mar 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ahh Art Daze Knight » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:47 am

EnragedMaldivians wrote:Copyright violation is theft. If Obama sees a political advantage in wanting to enforce this law more stringently, good for him.

It's being backed by Hollywood.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:27 am

Ahh Art Daze Knight wrote:
EnragedMaldivians wrote:Copyright violation is theft. If Obama sees a political advantage in wanting to enforce this law more stringently, good for him.

Well if it pays off it pays off; like I said, he shuold enforce the law, especially if it is to his benefit.
Taking a break.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:41 am

Meryuma wrote:
Rokartian States wrote:
Are you saying that it is not literally theft or that it isn't as morally incorrect as theft?

I mean it's not literally theft, and I also think there's nothing morally wrong with it, nor that it is justified for any reason to ban it.

So lif you spent a ot of time and money developing something that would be covered by copyright laws (lets just say its a video game) you wouldn't want any mobetary compensation for your time and effort? You'd just give it away?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:27 am

Wiztopia wrote:
Rokartian States wrote:*snip*

I was actually unable to find evidence supporting the idea of deterrence, so I'll have to drop that point. My original point, however, which was the idea that copyright infringement is theft because it deprives others of a source of revenue, still stands, as this conservative estimate of $17bn losses to piracy shows.

I stole your source, The Cat-Tribe, so thanks.

They count everything downloaded as a loss sale which is bullshit. Not everybody is going to buy something after downloading it and other people download something to try it out and if they like it then they buy it.

This is so patently untrue it can only be described as deliberately deceptive. I don't know whether (a) you didn't look at the study and simply made up your answer, (b) looked at the study and didn't understand clear english so made something up, or (c) just lied, but you are clearly wrong.

The study Rokartian State cites clearly says (color and some emphasis added):

The industries’ estimates differ as to how they measure the quantity of legitimate unit sales that would have been made absent piracy. Some industries assume that, absent piracy, consumers of pirated products would substitute legitimate purchases for all or nearly all of the pirate purchases that they now make. By contrast, other industries assume that, absent piracy, consumers would purchase fewer products than they now consume, because they would not substitute legitimate products for all the pirated products. While the number of substitute units need not be identical in each copyright industry, an effort has been made in this study to impose a consistent set of assumptions regarding product substitution across the four industries that are analyzed in this report. Again, this report has taken a conservative approach, and not assumed that each pirated product served to deprive the industry of a legitimate sale. Had this “one-to-one” ratio been maintained in any of the copyright industries, the resulting piracy cost estimates would have been higher than the figures reported here.

For example, contrary to your naked assertion that my source counts one download as one lost sale, the studies on which the study Rokartian States cites relies use a much more defensible, conservative, and sophisticated analysis. For example, in the study regarding music piracy, the relevant section is quoted below (tables not shown, emphasis/color added):

Substitution of Legitimate Product for Pirated Product--Download Piracy

As reported in Table 1, the calculation begins with the IFPI estimate of 20 billion illegal downloads worldwide. For reasons set forth above in connection with the physical piracy estimates, it is further assumed that 66% of all illegal downloads represent downloads of U.S. recorded music. It is then assumed that only 20% (1 in 5) of these downloaded songs would have been purchased legitimately if piracy did not exist. 15

For the 20% of downloaded U.S. songs that, absent piracy would be purchased legitimately, it is then necessary to derive the legitimate price that these consumers (who formerly downloaded recorded music illegally) would now pay. Since these consumers are all familiar with the Internet and capable of downloading computer files, it is reasonable to assume that most (but not all) of their substitution efforts would occur in the form of legal downloads from legitimate web sites.

For these downloads, we assume a legitimate price of $0.99 per song. (See Table 2) We further assume that 90% of these songs would ultimately be acquired through legitimate music downloads while the remaining 10% of songs would be purchased on a legitimate CD. 16 The weighted average legitimate price used for worldwide downloads of U.S. music is $2.30. (See Table 2)

As shown in Table 1, the legitimate price of $2.30 times the net return to the record producer (60.72%) times the total estimated song substitutions (2.640 billion) yields total download piracy losses to U.S. firms of $3.703 billion. When combined with the physical piracy losses of $1.630 billion, the total piracy loss to the sound recording industries from global piracy equals $5.333 billion. (See Table 1).
------------------------------
15. A number of academic studies have attempted to estimate the impact that file sharing has had on sound recording sales. The specific estimate of 20% is taken from Pietz, M. and Waelbroeck, P., The Effect of Internet Piracy on Music Sales: Cross Section Evidence, Review of Economic Research on Copyright Issues, 2004, vol. 1(2), pp 78.

16. Based on confidential survey data, it appears that many consumers of pirated sound recordings also purchase significant quantities of legitimate sound recordings.

Thus, only 2/3 of illegal downloads are counted and, of those, only 20% are considered lost sales of a particular song. My math skills aren't great, but that means (I think) that only 13.2% of illegal downloads of songs are counted as lost sales. Even then, the value of the songs is weighted by assuming that 90% of the songs would otherwise have been downloaded legally for $0.99!
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:32 am

Meryuma wrote:
Rokartian States wrote:It takes away revenue.

No, no it doesn't. Potential value is not acquired, this is not theft. Not making as much money off an investment because the state isn't interfering on your behalf does not make you a victim of theft.

Perhaps you should respond to my post directed at your argument before you repeat it.

Regardless, I find the idea that I can steal a farmer's crops before he harvests them and his "not making as much money off an investment" because the state doesn't stop me doesn't make him a victim of theft mind-boggling.
I quit (again).
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Rokartian States
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rokartian States » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 am

Wiztopia wrote:
Rokartian States wrote:
If Adobe can't provide enough features to incentivize their product, that's their problem. As I said, though, that's a separate issue entirely.

Source?

I was actually unable to find evidence supporting the idea of deterrence, so I'll have to drop that point. My original point, however, which was the idea that copyright infringement is theft because it deprives others of a source of revenue, still stands, as this conservative estimate of $17bn losses to piracy shows.

I stole your source, The Cat-Tribe, so thanks.

They count everything downloaded as a loss sale which is bullshit. Not everybody is going to buy something after downloading it and other people download something to try it out and if they like it then they buy it.

No, they don't. They explicitly claim not to use a one-to-one comparison precisely because it would result in a higher loss estimate.

Meryuma wrote:
Rokartian States wrote:
Are you saying that it is not literally theft or that it isn't as morally incorrect as theft?

I mean it's not literally theft,

I agree. But a rose by any other name is just as sweet.

and I also think there's nothing morally wrong with it,

So you would have no qualms if I walked into your house and stole your computer?

nor that it is justified for any reason to ban it.

Given that I'm unable to prove that deterrence is present in this case, I have no choice but to concede.
Note: My nation does not necessarily represent my true political views.

Southern United Africa wrote:Say "pray" over and over in quick succession. I dare you.

Jobbla wrote:hey dude my bitch is a mod on this site shes gonna punish you for squealing on me!

Norstal wrote:That is egotistical on so many level. Its like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, except theres one 1 degree and its your ego.

Sozut wrote:IT IS DEFINITELY BIRDS!

Sibirsky wrote:The truth is, you ideology has failed, will continue to fail, and is made of fail.

Embrihated Koalas wrote:SO THEIR BALLS ARE INERT

Cnetral america wrote:you have int got the flu soooo long it cagt you up
:geek:

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:13 am

EnragedMaldivians wrote:
Ahh Art Daze Knight wrote:

Well if it pays off it pays off; like I said, he shuold enforce the law, especially if it is to his benefit.

There is no benefit to this.

Rokartian States wrote:
Wiztopia wrote:

No, they don't. They explicitly claim not to use a one-to-one comparison precisely because it would result in a higher loss estimate.

and I also think there's nothing morally wrong with it,

So you would have no qualms if I walked into your house and stole your computer?

1) Every single industry does. RIAA, MPAA, ESA, anime/manga industry and so on. Also even if they knocked off what they did in the study there's no way to prove who would have bought something or not after downloading.

2) That would be actual theft. Copyright infringement isn't theft.

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:16 am

Wiztopia wrote:
EnragedMaldivians wrote:

Rokartian States wrote:

1) Every single industry does. RIAA, MPAA, ESA, anime/manga industry and so on. Also even if they knocked off what they did in the study there's no way to prove who would have bought something or not after downloading.

Simply repeating things that are untrue and not addressing arguments showing they are untrue is not debate or discussion.

A parrot could argue more persuasively that your posts.
I quit (again).

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:34 am

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Wiztopia wrote:

Simply repeating things that are untrue and not addressing arguments showing they are untrue is not debate or discussion.

So you're just full of shit.

Siorafrica
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Siorafrica » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:40 am

Sremski okrug wrote:I actually had hope for the United States when Obama was elected, however no I see that Obama is just a sell-out to the corporations of the United States. One of the worst Presidents of the United States, although he is dealing with a poisoned political class in the United States.

This. Apart from one of the worst. One's as bad as another except for Bush,Reagan,Fillmore and Grant.
NSG Thread Wheel;give it a spin and watch the trainwreck begin. http://cheezburger.com/View/5084656640
A doubleplusgood guide to NSpeak. http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16895
Population of NationStates. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=138705479531836
Yes by and large NSG for the most part absolutely has nothing but utter unadulterated contempt for religion and those who dare express it openly.-Skibereen
Oi with the arguing in circles over the same tired old topic yet again, and the trolling one another on either side with 'who is a real Christian' and 'why your logic sucks'. How about we put this one to bed again. It's going nowhere. You aren't going to change anyone's minds. Stick a fork in it kids - it's done.-Dread Lady Nathanica

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:40 am

Wiztopia wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:

Respond to this post and this post before you make such claims. Otherwise, your statement just looks silly.
I quit (again).

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:43 am

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Wiztopia wrote:

Respond to this post and this post before you make such claims. Otherwise, your statement just looks silly.

Both of my statements are true. Copyright infringement is not theft because you are not taking anything. You are making copies.

Even if you state whatever that people wouldn't have bought it/would have there is no way to prove who would have done which one.

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:47 am

Wiztopia wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:

Both of my statements are true. Copyright infringement is not theft because you are not taking anything. You are making copies.

Even if you state whatever that people wouldn't have bought it/would have there is no way to prove who would have done which one.

Polly wanna cracker?
I quit (again).

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:48 am

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Wiztopia wrote:

Polly wanna cracker?

So you can't counter worth shit it seems.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:48 am

Siorafrica wrote:
Sremski okrug wrote:I actually had hope for the United States when Obama was elected, however no I see that Obama is just a sell-out to the corporations of the United States. One of the worst Presidents of the United States, although he is dealing with a poisoned political class in the United States.

This. Apart from one of the worst. One's as bad as another except for Bush,Reagan,Fillmore and Grant.

Obama gets called one of the worst president ever, halfway through his term, in the context of a discussion about enforcing Copy-right laws. I am genuinely astonished.

I have an essay due in in 12 hours. I think I'll just save time and plagiarlize; it's not really theft after all.
Taking a break.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General