NATION

PASSWORD

Actress Leslie Jones Hacked, Private Info Leaked

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neo Bavaria
Envoy

Founded: Aug 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Bavaria » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:00 am

Shonburg wrote:
Neo Bavaria wrote:
Her passport and ID could also be seen by any person on the street. Come back to me when her SSN was leaked or her bank PIN

I see you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how identity theft works.

I'm not stupid, I understand that there are more forms of identity theft than stealing cash out of an ATM account, my point is that just releasing pictures of someone's so-and-so is not the same as actually stealing their identity. Now, there are obviously blatant ways to use an SSN or a bank PIN, but it's not like they released a blueprint for making a fake passport or a fake ID card. You can't just photoshop your face onto a passport and print off a new one, to commit identity theft through ID card or passport you have to actually physically possess those two items so that you can directly modify the information on them.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:01 am

Minzerland wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
You're right. Let's stop arresting rapists.

Strawmanning is fun, isn't it?

I never suggested it, I was trying to say that the lawlessness of other crimes has made it decline.

One school of thought holds that rape has declined for the same reasons that other violent offenses have: a reduction in the lawlessness associated with crack cocaine, a shrinking population of young people and an increased number of criminals in jail.

The argument seemed to be that cyber crime doesn't decrease when you arrest hackers, with the implication being that arresting them was a waste of time and resources. The comparison to arresting rapists was brought up, then it was noted that the number of rapes had gone down, and it was pointed out by you that numerous factors could have contributed to that, meaning that the arrest rate wasn't a significant factor. If we continue the parallel, then this would mean that there's little point to arresting rapists, as there will continue to be rapists even when some are arrested, and only social factors will influence their number, much as it's useless to arrest hackers.

Neo Bavaria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Bavaria » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:01 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Neo Bavaria wrote:Let's tell a story, okay?

You're Paul and you live in New York. One day, you come home and the room next to yours is cordoned off by police tape. Turns out some guy was stabbed and his apartment raided. Guy's dead, gone, and now your block is under surveillance and you've been asked to testify. You're so stressed out, so you check in with your friend Peter to vent a little about what just happened, and your friend Peter says "Yeah, I know what you mean, I keep on having to file noise complaints against my next door neighbor because he plays his stereo too loud. The police never do anything even though he's disturbing the peace". The long and short of it is, that we are presently in a crisis scenario where any day the director of the DHS could wake up to a phone call asking him to make his way to the nearest fortified bunker because there is a terror threat or a dirty bomb just went off. Now, at the end of the day, do you think that he's going to be able to live with himself, let alone keep his job, when he wasted Department resources going after the guy who leaked nudes of an actress instead of aiding an investigation into domestic terrorism?

Again:

This was a federal crime that involved identity theft.

The federal agency tasked with investigating cyber crime, especially when it involves fraud or identity theft, is doing so.

I suspect that if there is an increase in terrorist chatter, this case will be bumped down the list of priorities.

Fact is, any competent police agency will be able to investigate both murders AND noise complaints.

As I stated in my other post, you cannot commit identity theft with a picture of an ID card or a picture of a passport. You must have physical possession of those two items in order to perform the needed actions.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:03 am

Neo Bavaria wrote:
Shonburg wrote:I see you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how identity theft works.

I'm not stupid, I understand that there are more forms of identity theft than stealing cash out of an ATM account, my point is that just releasing pictures of someone's so-and-so is not the same as actually stealing their identity. Now, there are obviously blatant ways to use an SSN or a bank PIN, but it's not like they released a blueprint for making a fake passport or a fake ID card. You can't just photoshop your face onto a passport and print off a new one, to commit identity theft through ID card or passport you have to actually physically possess those two items so that you can directly modify the information on them.

No, but you can use the information on someone's ID card and/or passport to cause all sorts of issues for a person, and find out even more information about them.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:03 am

Neo Bavaria wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Again:

The federal agency tasked with investigating cyber crime, especially when it involves fraud or identity theft, is doing so.

I suspect that if there is an increase in terrorist chatter, this case will be bumped down the list of priorities.

Fact is, any competent police agency will be able to investigate both murders AND noise complaints.

As I stated in my other post, you cannot commit identity theft with a picture of an ID card or a picture of a passport. You must have physical possession of those two items in order to perform the needed actions.

You can use the information to find out further information, which in turn can cause major issues.

Shonburg
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Shonburg » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:04 am

Neo Bavaria wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Again:

Not particularly, passports are harder to fake then ID's (Which are pretty easy to make fakes of at home with a card printer, even with just a picture of the ID), but not especially hard for a dedicated identity thief/black market seller.
Queendom of Shonburg

Minzerland
Minister

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:06 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Minzerland wrote:Strawmanning is fun, isn't it?

I never suggested it, I was trying to say that the lawlessness of other crimes has made it decline.

One school of thought holds that rape has declined for the same reasons that other violent offenses have: a reduction in the lawlessness associated with crack cocaine, a shrinking population of young people and an increased number of criminals in jail.

The argument seemed to be that cyber crime doesn't decrease when you arrest hackers, with the implication being that arresting them was a waste of time and resources. The comparison to arresting rapists was brought up, then it was noted that the number of rapes had gone down, and it was pointed out by you that numerous factors could have contributed to that, meaning that the arrest rate wasn't a significant factor. If we continue the parallel, then this would mean that there's little point to arresting rapists, as there will continue to be rapists even when some are arrested, and only social factors will influence their number, much as it's useless to arrest hackers.

That is still a strawman nonetheless, precisely because I've never made that argument.

By the same token. What is the point in arresting rapists then? They'll still exist, social attitudes will still play a major factor in how many there are. Why is their any point in doing so besides morals?
Last edited by Minzerland on Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
'Common sense isn't so common.'
-Voltaire

'I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It.'
-Evelyn Beatrice Hall

I'm a Tribune of the Plebs, so watch out, or I might just veto you. You may call me Minzerland or Sam.
Classical Libertarianism|Constitutional Monarchy|Secularism|Westphalian Sovereignty|
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

Hello, people persistently believe I'm American, I'm here to remedy this; I'm an Australian of English, Swiss-Italian (on my mothers side), Scottish and Irish (on my fathers side) dissent.

Neo Bavaria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Bavaria » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:07 am

Shonburg wrote:Not particularly, passports are harder to fake then ID's (Which are pretty easy to make fakes of at home with a card printer, even with just a picture of the ID), but not especially hard for a dedicated identity thief/black market seller.

While this is true, this is usually prosecuted separately from someone who just releases pictures. I mean, I know it's not the same caliber but you wouldn't arrest a kid for gross negligence because he gave out his parents' credit card information to a stranger thus allowing them to steal their credit. Unless you can actually prove that this guy (or girl) was working with a fraudster, the worse you can get him on is gross negligence for releasing the info
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:You can use the information to find out further information, which in turn can cause major issues.

Such as?

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:10 am

Minzerland wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

That is still a strawman because I've never made that argument.

What is the point in arresting rapists then? They'll still exist, social attitudes will still play a major factor in how many there are. Why is their any point in doing so besides morals?

Well, that did seem to be your implication, whether you realized it or not. If you want to accuse me of a fallacy, reducto ad absurdum comes closer to what I was engaging in.

Shonburg
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Shonburg » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:11 am

Neo Bavaria wrote:
Shonburg wrote:Not particularly, passports are harder to fake then ID's (Which are pretty easy to make fakes of at home with a card printer, even with just a picture of the ID), but not especially hard for a dedicated identity thief/black market seller.

While this is true, this is usually prosecuted separately from someone who just releases pictures. I mean, I know it's not the same caliber but you wouldn't arrest a kid for gross negligence because he gave out his parents' credit card information to a stranger thus allowing them to steal their credit. Unless you can actually prove that this guy (or girl) was working with a fraudster, the worse you can get him on is gross negligence for releasing the info
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:You can use the information to find out further information, which in turn can cause major issues.

Such as?

In this case, releasing private photos of something like identification purposefully with intent to harm (which I would argue is absolutely clear in this instance), is serious offense.
Queendom of Shonburg

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:12 am

Neo Bavaria wrote:

Such as?

Uh-uh. No. Not even in a telegram. That conversation either leads to me going through the details of how to commit criminal fraud, which I suspect that the moderators might have a wee issue with, or it leads to me clamming up so that I don't say anything more. I'll save time and choose the latter right now.

Neo Bavaria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Bavaria » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:13 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Neo Bavaria wrote:While this is true, this is usually prosecuted separately from someone who just releases pictures. I mean, I know it's not the same caliber but you wouldn't arrest a kid for gross negligence because he gave out his parents' credit card information to a stranger thus allowing them to steal their credit. Unless you can actually prove that this guy (or girl) was working with a fraudster, the worse you can get him on is gross negligence for releasing the info

Such as?

Uh-uh. No. Not even in a telegram. That conversation either leads to me going through the details of how to commit criminal fraud, which I suspect that the moderators might have a wee issue with, or it leads to me clamming up so that I don't say anything more. I'll save time and choose the latter right now.

I'm not entirely sure but it sounds an awful lot like you're trying to disguise the fact that you basically pulled that out of your ass.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:14 am

Neo Bavaria wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

I'm not entirely sure but it sounds an awful lot like you're trying to disguise the fact that you basically pulled that out of your ass.

I am absolutely comfortable with it if that's your conclusion.

Neo Bavaria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Bavaria » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:15 am

Shonburg wrote:
Neo Bavaria wrote:While this is true, this is usually prosecuted separately from someone who just releases pictures. I mean, I know it's not the same caliber but you wouldn't arrest a kid for gross negligence because he gave out his parents' credit card information to a stranger thus allowing them to steal their credit. Unless you can actually prove that this guy (or girl) was working with a fraudster, the worse you can get him on is gross negligence for releasing the info

Such as?

In this case, releasing private photos of something like identification purposefully with intent to harm (which I would argue is absolutely clear in this instance), is serious offense.

But you actually have to prove that there was intent to harm, which is exceptionally difficult. It's a Capone Case: everyone knows it's true but there's no evidence. Best they would get them on would be gross negligence for exposing that information as part of a leak that was predominantly something else.

Minzerland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:15 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Minzerland wrote:That is still a strawman because I've never made that argument.

What is the point in arresting rapists then? They'll still exist, social attitudes will still play a major factor in how many there are. Why is their any point in doing so besides morals?

Well, that did seem to be your implication, whether you realized it or not. If you want to accuse me of a fallacy, reducto ad absurdum comes closer to what I was engaging in.

It wasn't, I assure you. Just because something continues to exist doesn't mean it shouldn't be minimalised, just because cancer exists doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be cured.

Yes it probably would, but nonetheless it was a strawman.
-Voltaire

'I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It.'
-Evelyn Beatrice Hall

I'm a Tribune of the Plebs, so watch out, or I might just veto you. You may call me Minzerland or Sam.
Classical Libertarianism|Constitutional Monarchy|Secularism|Westphalian Sovereignty|
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

Hello, people persistently believe I'm American, I'm here to remedy this; I'm an Australian of English, Swiss-Italian (on my mothers side), Scottish and Irish (on my fathers side) dissent.

Neo Bavaria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Bavaria » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:16 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Neo Bavaria wrote:I'm not entirely sure but it sounds an awful lot like you're trying to disguise the fact that you basically pulled that out of your ass.

I am absolutely comfortable with it if that's your conclusion.

Good for you, m80

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:17 am

Minzerland wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

It wasn't, I assure you. Just because something continues to exist doesn't mean it shouldn't be minimalised, just because cancer exists doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be cured.

I wasn't trying to say that that was the actual argument that you were making, but rather that that's where it seemed to lead to when taken to a logical conclusion. However, I may have misinterpreted your initial point.

Minzerland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:28 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Minzerland wrote:It wasn't, I assure you. Just because something continues to exist doesn't mean it shouldn't be minimalised, just because cancer exists doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be cured.

I wasn't trying to say that that was the actual argument that you were making, but rather that that's where it seemed to lead to when taken to a logical conclusion. However, I may have misinterpreted your initial point.

That is understandable; my posts aren't the clearest and can be misconstrued accidentally. My original point was , from Shonburg's article, that rape isn't declining because of rape being a crime, rather because social attitudes and the decreasing lawlessness of crack cocaine. Rape being a crime may deter some but not the majority.
-Voltaire

-Evelyn Beatrice Hall

_[' ]_
(-_Q)

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:19 am

The investigation is now being done by. DHS.

Apparently they think the hack came from Japan

http://gothamist.com/2016/08/25/homelan ... _jones.php
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:45 am

Greater Orensta wrote:
The Shady Looking Vukmiri Delegates wrote:My opening posts were just being edgy for shits and giggles. I got more serious over on as I put my two cents in.

Also

Dicks out for Harambe.

already did the harambe meme
Neutraligon wrote:Do not call me kiddo.

kiddo

*** Warned for flamebaiting ***

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:47 am

The Shady Looking Vukmiri Delegates wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
So if someone capitalizes on the doxx and injures or kills her you'd call that fair retribution as well?

If someone (Hacked Victim) commits a crime (Association in the making of the terrible movie) then that would possibly leave them open to "Vigilante justice" as I would call it, it's fair game now. :ugeek:

*** Warned for wishing death/harm ***

Nariterrr
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:48 am

I wonder if this was related to Milo...?
Honestly who knows what about anything anymore.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:50 am

The Shady Looking Vukmiri Delegates wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
You really should look up the rules to this forum, as it is your actions can get you warned or banned from this website

You needn't worry about me, I know when to go and stop, I've been doing this for a while. :p

*** Warned for admission of trolling. *** Now that you've confirmed it, don't expect to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Kola Republic
Attaché

Founded: Jan 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kola Republic » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:50 am

Nariterrr wrote:I wonder if this was related to Milo...?

They all decided to join in on the racist rhetorical shitflinging at a black comedienne because she participated in a reboot of one of their favorite movies.
Whiny asswipes.
The Principality of Kola is a constitutional monarchy within the Federal Republic of Kanaria, located in the northwest on the Kola Peninsula. The population is 30 million. It's slightly larger than California and much colder and Russian. The capital city is Baytown-Saint Petersburg.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:52 am

Greater Orensta wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Shrug I already reported them. Since they seem to be unable to debate without trolling I see no reason to pay any more attention to them. They are not worth my time.

As to the OP, find a prosecute the offenders.

you say that like you are important

*** 1 day ban for flamebaiting repeatedly ***

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General