NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:20 am

A new RP of mine. Any suggestions?

It's a Cold War-style RP set in notGermany in notEurope with the notWarsawPact against notNATO... In which it'll start off with the gradual raising of tension after the RB-45C is shot-down, before a spark, such as a Western Border guard firing off a few rounds into the air and scaring the Easterners into firing back before a firefight starts and the Eastern invasion begins.

I've already gotten it all planned out and such (what the end result is, for example). So, what else do I need to really keep the RP going?
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Khoor
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Khoor » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:57 am

Hi I am an avid (so-so) writer who are looking for a welcoming region of NationStates players to write with; are there any recommended regions out there for someone who are just starting out like me? and also what should I avoid doing when writing with other people in this game?
The Sultanate of Khoor
Roleplay Thread: Mhukanomics - Khoor Joining the Global Economy

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:12 am

Khoor wrote:Hi I am an avid (so-so) writer who are looking for a welcoming region of NationStates players to write with; are there any recommended regions out there for someone who are just starting out like me? and also what should I avoid doing when writing with other people in this game?

Greater Dienstad is always open.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:37 am

Khoor wrote:Hi I am an avid (so-so) writer who are looking for a welcoming region of NationStates players to write with; are there any recommended regions out there for someone who are just starting out like me? and also what should I avoid doing when writing with other people in this game?

You should avoid doing this thing called godmodding, which is the act of instantly poofing up soldiers or having millions of troops as a startup country.

You can also ask for help and suggestions (in terms of just writing) here.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Funnyjunk admin
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Question

Postby Funnyjunk admin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Do things you do in RP affect your country's stats like how does that stuff work I'm so confused?

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:28 pm

Funnyjunk admin wrote:Do things you do in RP affect your country's stats like how does that stuff work I'm so confused?

Stats are only modified by your issues and if you're in the World Assembly (sometimes)

RPing is just you and your friends writing, and in turn doesn't change much. Only you decide as to wether or not it affects your canon.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Funnyjunk admin
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Stuff

Postby Funnyjunk admin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:29 pm

Also when people post replays and stuff they have a little like box thing under the post that you click and it shows like wars and stuff, how do you do that?

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Funnyjunk admin wrote:Also when people post replays and stuff they have a little like box thing under the post that you click and it shows like wars and stuff, how do you do that?

That's done through the Edit signature section of your User Control Panel. I've always found listing wars and victories a bit shallow and silly, though, since it suggests the most important thing about roleplaying is winning when it's not.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Funnyjunk admin wrote:Also when people post replays and stuff they have a little like box thing under the post that you click and it shows like wars and stuff, how do you do that?

Some people use it for that, others use it for links to important information.

In my case, I link some of my favorite posts I've read about myself.

Because of ego reasons.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:15 pm

People will also posts links to their GE&T storefronts in their sigs. It makes for a nice way to bring them to the attention of those who like to look at sigs.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Zadiner
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Zadiner » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:25 am

So let me get this straight: Rping is made up and has nothing to do with how ur nation is actually going in NatinStates
Economic Left/Right: -2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46

IATA Member
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organisation
Proud South Pacifican
Zadiner/Zak for TSP Delegate!

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:40 am

Zadiner wrote:So let me get this straight: Rping is made up and has nothing to do with how ur nation is actually going in NatinStates

... yes. However, for an awful lot - maybe a majority - of roleplayers here, game-side stats aren't used at all, and all the canon comes from roleplay stuff.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Thedarcklightempire
Civilian

Founded: Feb 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Thedarcklightempire » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:52 pm

Jenrak wrote:For those new, uncertain, at a rut, or wanting to discuss any sort of topic in between in regards to II Role-Playing, please feel free to posit questions, threads, and topic discussions. This thread is intended to be an open area of general discussion on II Role-playing, for newer and older players and where assistance can be given. Please keep all off-topic chatter to a minimum.

NOTE: II, GE&T, and F&NI RPing questions only, please. NSSports and Gameplay-based RPing questions are not the main focus of this thread.

yes how do I rade regins??? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:24 pm

Thedarcklightempire wrote:
Jenrak wrote:For those new, uncertain, at a rut, or wanting to discuss any sort of topic in between in regards to II Role-Playing, please feel free to posit questions, threads, and topic discussions. This thread is intended to be an open area of general discussion on II Role-playing, for newer and older players and where assistance can be given. Please keep all off-topic chatter to a minimum.

NOTE: II, GE&T, and F&NI RPing questions only, please. NSSports and Gameplay-based RPing questions are not the main focus of this thread.

yes how do I rade regins??? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

International Incidents, Factbooks & National Information, Global Economics & Trade, etc. are all roleplaying boards in the Diplomacy subforum. Raiding is an action undertaken on the gameplay-side of NS. You're more likely to find your answers in the Complete Guide to Military Gameplay and to receive on-topic advice and assistance in the "Gameplay Advice Thread" in the Gameplay board (found in the "National Affairs" subforum).

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Kyrusia on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

ABDS Corporation
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby ABDS Corporation » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:11 am

I'm having serious trouble figuring out my tech level. As a general rule, except for one-offs in other eras, I tend to keep the technology in the Client-States limited to things that already exist, even if I tend to deploy them more than you'd see in the real world (the ubiquity of RFID and Smart Devices, for example). It's like a whole nation of early adopters.

Am I pushing PMT because my nation tends to be a nation of haves, or am I pretty solidly MT?

I do have some postmodern ideas in urbanism, as well. buildings that bridge traditional zoning concerns, dominance of public transit, indoor and rooftop greenspace etc.
Last edited by ABDS Corporation on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Client-States of the ABDS Corporation
NMSI Program (Embassies) [open for application] | Our Factbook -WIP, PDF-
Dunnet Broadcasting Corporation [News Network] | Dominion Digital | ReyDion Design Nuclear
Sanity Line

ABDS Corporation. Making Citizenship Profitable.

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:17 am

ABDS Corporation wrote:I'm having serious trouble figuring out my tech level. As a general rule, except for one-offs in other eras, I tend to keep the technology in the Client-States limited to things that already exist, even if I tend to deploy them more than you'd see in the real world (the ubiquity of RFID and Smart Devices, for example). It's like a whole nation of early adopters.

Am I pushing PMT because my nation tends to be a nation of haves, or am I pretty solidly MT?

I do have some postmodern ideas in urbanism, as well. buildings that bridge traditional zoning concerns, dominance of public transit, indoor and rooftop greenspace etc.

Is it using only devices and ideas that are around in the modern world? (even if those ideas are not proportional to real life) Then, I believe it is MT.
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:21 am

ABDS Corporation wrote:I'm having serious trouble figuring out my tech level. As a general rule, except for one-offs in other eras, I tend to keep the technology in the Client-States limited to things that already exist, even if I tend to deploy them more than you'd see in the real world (the ubiquity of RFID and Smart Devices, for example). It's like a whole nation of early adopters.

Tech levels are usually concerned with the status of the technology itself, rather than its saturation. If something is being developed, acting as if it is finished development is PMT. Giving an iphone 6 to everyone at birth isn't MT, it just means you're richer than real life.

As for concepts and ideas, they're not judged by tech level. Since tech level is literally just tech level.
Restore the Crown

Ejaspistan
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ejaspistan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Where would I post to try to get someone to have a major part in a roleplay? I need to have a major agressor against me, and im not sure where I would ask to get one.

By the way, I have made multiple RPs before. This nation is just a puppet of mine.
Hello, im a puppet made by blorbs, sorry for any confusion!

The Ejaspistan Millitary is fairly small and due to the fact this area of the world is very often at war, to many underfunded. Annualy $499,995,702.94 goes to the millitary and its 16,660 members with 4,998 active and 11662 reserves. There are three 'loadouts' in the millitary. Bombers: 9mm piston and explosives varying from molotovs to IEDs, sometimes with light armor, attackers: AK47s and heavy armor, and Marksmen: various rifles/a markorav pistol. Millitarized Geeps with light armor are used for transportation along with a very small number of basic attack helicopters, airplanes, and tanks.
Other RP Stats:
Population: 7,183,902
Life Expectancy: 61 years

Sepratist War: Won
ABDS War: Ongoing

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Insaeldor » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:26 am

Ejaspistan wrote:Where would I post to try to get someone to have a major part in a roleplay? I need to have a major agressor against me, and im not sure where I would ask to get one.

By the way, I have made multiple RPs before. This nation is just a puppet of mine.

I'm sure you must know some people around here right? Check in your region usually if its got a good RP lean to it you can find a guy. And TG some guys you e RPed with in the past.

Be social and you'll find a guy :)
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:51 am

Ejaspistan wrote:Where would I post to try to get someone to have a major part in a roleplay? I need to have a major agressor against me, and im not sure where I would ask to get one.

Insaeldor's advice is not incorrect: interacting with other members of the roleplaying community and immersing yourself in such is always the best option.

As such, assuming your tech-level of choice is Modern Tech, regions are your best bet for finding roleplay partners; there are countless regions which you might find amicable and enjoyable to participate with. To name a few (off the top of my head, mostly): Greater Dienstad, Tyrrhenia, Astyria, Pardes, Nova, Nocturnalya, Maredoratica, Valeria, Esquarium, Sondria, and numerous others. Just keep in mind, in Modern Tech, regions are often more than simple places to convene and find roleplay partners; they are communities with standards and conventions all their own. As such, for those roleplaying, MT-oriented regions which are open (no password lock), I would not advise merely dropping in and asking, "I need an aggressor!" I would strongly advise familiarizing yourself with whatever rules and systems of governance (both OOC and IC, as applicable) these regions have via whatever literature they provide - either through dispatches or offsite forums. It is not uncommon, further, for roleplaying regions to employ an application process where one must provide roleplaying examples, information about their given country, etc. before one will be permitted to join and participate. Again, familiarize yourself with the systems of whatever region you might be interested in, as each one has a different system (or set of systems).

Your second best bet, by my account, would be familiarizing yourself with the various Internet Relay Chat channels. While many are dedicated to regions or alliances in MT, I believe there is a General "NationStates" channel (#nationstates) on the GameSurge server. Many roleplaying regions, however, relating to the above, are active mostly on Esper.net; normally they will provide links for these channels in their World Factbook Entries or in their recruitment or hub threads. Even so, like the above, I would not advise simply popping-in and immediately asking for someone to be the aggressor you are searching for; while many roleplaying regions accept random visitors, these visitors are typically welcomed most readily when they are interested in joining the region itself, not simply looking for a random roleplay partner without further commitment to the communities in question. You might also consider stopping by the channel "#NSMentors" on Esper.net for further assistance and to get into direct contact with MT-oriented Mentors (I am FT-oriented.) which may be able to provide you with a more specific heading in regards to your question.

Lastly, you might consider dropping by the RP Think Tank. This thread exists, primarily, to allow roleplayers to brainstorm with other roleplayers to help devise new threads, plots, and roleplays. This might be your first stop if you are looking for a roleplay partner free from further regional commitments.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Kyrusia on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

ABDS Corporation
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby ABDS Corporation » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Assuming I am using a calculator to derive from my RP population my military budget (as reflected by the game's stats engine), how many years worth of annual budget is it reasonable to spend on equipment? Obviously a military doesn't liquidate their entire assets pile every year and re-purchase equipment.

I'm thinking something like 5*Annual for the Army, 10*Annual for Airforce, and something like 20*Annual for the Navy, based on service life of said equipment.
The Client-States of the ABDS Corporation
NMSI Program (Embassies) [open for application] | Our Factbook -WIP, PDF-
Dunnet Broadcasting Corporation [News Network] | Dominion Digital | ReyDion Design Nuclear
Sanity Line

ABDS Corporation. Making Citizenship Profitable.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:14 pm

If you want to get that detailed...

It's more like 20/20/40 for the US (Gross (Get it, gross?) estimation). Then you should include maintenance at 1/20th of the purchase cost per year, training on said equipment (multiple times, given the typical rifle lasts 2-3x the typical enlistment term)... Or what you could do is take the per-unit cost of an item and double it for a one-time cost. Probably simpler in the end. That said...

Time flows strangely in NationStates. One day could be one year, or it could be one day, a month, or even an indeterminate span. I'm so old that moss grows on me, so I go by a 5% population growth rule that means I go through a year every 8 months or so. Next 'year' it will be longer, and longer, and longer still. Even then you the odd situation where a RP (where you think this stuff might be relevant (hint: it's not)) goes on for several months or even years but your population has effectively doubled. For someone as old as the hills and as foggy as the valleys, this is fine since those 8 months to play out a year-long war work out just about right. But, depending on your RP, your nation might go from 10m to 1b in that same time span.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

Nidajogai
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nidajogai » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:25 am

This may be a silly question but i really want to get into rp but when i look at guides or open rps they just seem confusing and overwhelming, so I need you help getting into rp please?
A Genuinely Pastafarian country with a splash of communism and some bacon strips.
NS has the nasty habit of being incorrect, for your convience I will make some factbooks with the truth about Nidajogai.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:27 am

Nidajogai wrote:This may be a silly question but i really want to get into rp but when i look at guides or open rps they just seem confusing and overwhelming, so I need you help getting into rp please?

If I were you, I'd go to the forums and click on a few RPs here and there. Find one that is simple and interests you, and then go and join it. Then, make friends with those people and their friends, until a point where you refine your friendship and your RPing tastes.

It isn't that hard to get into a good RP. Just take your time and read the OPs properly. Yes they may be confusing sometimes, but again, sometimes it's worth it.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:16 am

Nidajogai wrote:This may be a silly question but i really want to get into rp but when i look at guides or open rps they just seem confusing and overwhelming, so I need you help getting into rp please?

I know it may seem overwhelming. There is definitely a glut of information out there. My recommendation would be to take a step back, take a deep breath, and just tackle it piecemeal. Start with the guides that give a general overview of RP and how it works. Then go out there and try it. As you gain experience, you can dive into the more in-depth specialist guides. You don't need to know how to write up the list of equipment for a tank division for your first RP. :P

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents