NATION

PASSWORD

Texas, Would we be better off without the USA?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

CIB EMPIRE
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby CIB EMPIRE » Wed May 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Put al poll out for this
Join the Anti World Assembly

The AWA is dedicated to bringing down the World Assembly. Nations need the WA's permission to invading a region because only WA nations may invade!The WA is able to condemn non members but not vice versa. Members are forced to comply with the many unjust laws the WA imposes onto them. No one truely runs their own nation, you serve as a mere puppet of the WA unless you decide to do something about it! Others say it cant be done but why do so many try and stop us? The answer is simple, the WA can be brought down if enough nations band together and stand against it! The AWA is commited to uniteing all regions that are against the WA because a unified force will be unstopable! So join us and become part of the biggest thing that this game has ever seen!

Luciratus
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Wed May 12, 2010 5:08 pm

Second one from the bottom. Total military recruits(army, navy, airforce). It is 1st of 55, so that settles it Texas does have the largest military of any state in the Union.
Stop the killing! Free Libya!
Please, help Japan and Oceania in any manner possible. Pray or hope for their safety and health.
I am a Grammar Nazi. As such, I prefer posts that are comprehensible.
Cannot think of a name wrote:
Mosasauria wrote:War is a necessary evil. True peace is impossible.
As long as we tell ourselves the first sentence, the second one will always be true.

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Cameroi wrote:And I still say, 9 out of 10 fetuses would rather be aborted then be born unwanted.

Did you poll those fetuses on their opinion?

Ezekiel Bardoff (dictator)
Yavid Biram (chairman)
Yashua Mithridates (two terms)
Alistaire Hawthorne (current)

Factbook

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed May 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Luciratus wrote:Second one from the bottom. Total military recruits(army, navy, airforce). It is 1st of 55, so that settles it Texas does have the largest military of any state in the Union.

Ummm...
No.
People from Texas who have enlisted in the U.S. Armed Forces are not Texas' military.
Texas' military is the Texas National Guard, Air National Guard, and Texas State Guard Maritime Regiment.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Luciratus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Wed May 12, 2010 5:11 pm

They supply the most soldiers of any state to the United States army which is the point I was trying to make. I apologize for wording it so awkwardly though. Thank you for catching my mistake.
Last edited by Luciratus on Fri May 14, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please, help Japan and Oceania in any manner possible. Pray or hope for their safety and health.
As long as we tell ourselves the first sentence, the second one will always be true.

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Cameroi wrote:And I still say, 9 out of 10 fetuses would rather be aborted then be born unwanted.

Yavid Biram (chairman)

Factbook

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed May 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Luciratus wrote:They supply the most forces in the United States army which is the point I was trying to make.

It is not what you said though...
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Timurid Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Timurid Empire » Wed May 12, 2010 5:16 pm

No. The union would never allow it, hasn't this happened once? WWII was it?
Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.28

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed May 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Timurid Empire wrote:No. The union would never allow it, hasn't this happened once? WWII was it?

WWII was about a US state seceding? What are you smoking?
Married to Koshka

Latin Hispania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Latin Hispania » Wed May 12, 2010 5:27 pm

I don't know exactly how this would go, but if Texas THREATENED to raise in arms against the US, they might get "independence" or a deal that is unfair to the US.
If the US didn't accept the independence, and Texas DID raise in arms, then a fierce battle would be fought between Texans and the rest of the US. I think it's be pretty interesting to see. US specops going house after hous only to find an old man with a Benelli M4 shotgun waiting for them... priceless. Of course in the end Texas would be nothing more than a glass crater.
If by some random act of God Texas went independent, it would be a succesful country. All that oil has to come in handy sometime.
Last edited by God on Mon Jan 1, 0000, 0:00 AM, edited infinite times in total.

Mr. Wallcott: Are you sure about that, Agent Cho? Because I can make one phone call and your career is toast.
Cho: That's impressive. The best I can get with one call is a pizza.

A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is adressed: "To whom it may concern."

"God loves sex. Indeed, He created sex." - The Highest Messenger

Me: I just can´t do this anymore. I´ll kill myself tomorrow.
Consciousness: NO, there are better ways!
Me: Like what?
Consciousness: You can kill everyone you hate and then kill yourself.
Me: True...

Factbook

Timurid Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Timurid Empire » Wed May 12, 2010 5:28 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Timurid Empire wrote:No. The union would never allow it, hasn't this happened once? WWII was it?

Something that would kill a normal man.
Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.28

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed May 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

Damn. Most of Europe was destroyed, as well as massive involvement in Asia over a state leaving the union? This is bigger than I thought. And whatever that shit is, pass it.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Kiregpanzer
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiregpanzer » Wed May 12, 2010 8:34 pm

If we went south and invaded Mexico we could probably survive on our own. That's what Sam Houston wanted to do after the first secession, as opposed to joining the Confederacy (which, as we all know, worked out splendidly).

I've got that filed away as a prologue under "Plans to Take Over The World".

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Wed May 12, 2010 8:46 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Luciratus wrote:Second one from the bottom. Total military recruits(army, navy, airforce). It is 1st of 55, so that settles it Texas does have the largest military of any state in the Union.

Ummm...
No.
People from Texas who have enlisted in the U.S. Armed Forces are not Texas' military.
Texas' military is the Texas National Guard, Air National Guard, and Texas State Guard Maritime Regiment.

But how many of those people in the US Armed Force do you think would come back to Texas if Texas left the Union? Don't forget, when the Southern states seceded from the Union, many US military personnel of Southern descent left the US military to follow their state. Robert E. Lee had previously been a US Army general, but joined the Confederacy because he was more loyal to his home state of Virginia than to the US government.
Cobhanglica's top officials
President: George Rockwell
Sec. of Foreign Relations: Martin Lansing
Sec. of Defense: General James Arnold
Sec. of Trade: Henry Ford Smith

My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.72

Gift-of-god
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gift-of-god » Thu May 13, 2010 6:56 am

Cobhanglica wrote:But how many of those people in the US Armed Force do you think would come back to Texas if Texas left the Union? Don't forget, when the Southern states seceded from the Union, many US military personnel of Southern descent left the US military to follow their state. Robert E. Lee had previously been a US Army general, but joined the Confederacy because he was more loyal to his home state of Virginia than to the US government.

The white ones might, but not the rest of them.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera
I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina.
I defend the little kids and I level downtown Tokyo
in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu May 13, 2010 7:36 am

Gift-of-god wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:But how many of those people in the US Armed Force do you think would come back to Texas if Texas left the Union? Don't forget, when the Southern states seceded from the Union, many US military personnel of Southern descent left the US military to follow their state. Robert E. Lee had previously been a US Army general, but joined the Confederacy because he was more loyal to his home state of Virginia than to the US government.

The white ones might, but not the rest of them.

Some of the white ones, maybe. The country is not, despite what a great many of our conservative friends here think, not the same as it was in 1860. It may be trite to point this out, but prior to the Civil War it was common usage to say, "The United States are." After the war that became, "The United States is." Many people in those days did see themselves as citizens of their states as much as citizens of their country, and in many cases, the state loyalty overrode loyalty to country. Frankly, it diminishes Colonel Lee in my estimation because he chose Virginia over the United States. I do not think that same outlook is to be found much in the modern armed forces. Some would desert, of course, but I think the majority would remain true to their oaths.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Thu May 13, 2010 10:51 am

Fanaglia wrote:
Valenskiivov wrote:
Xsyne wrote:
Valenskiivov wrote:Haven't you heard of the man a couple months ago who burnt his house down and flew a plane into the IRS building because of them taking EVERYTHING them closing two of his businesses for unjust reasons and him flipping hell and giving up.

You mean the guy who murdered a Vietnam vet after the IRS told him that he was not a church, and therefore could not avoid taxes by claiming to be a church?
hadn't heard that part of the story? Why was there NO coverage of the media saying this? :eyebrow:

Uhh, there was. Lots of it, in fact. It was the same idiot who crashed his plane into the IRS building in Austin. Xsyne just got his facts mixed up -- he didn't murder a 'Nam vet over it; he was the 'Nam vet and he crashed his plane because of it. Summary of events: pores over tax laws with his buddies and realizes the "wonderful 'exemptions' that make institutions like the vulgar, corrupt Catholic Church so incredibly wealthy," attempts to evade taxes by declaring himself a church and is summarily denied, gets pissed as hell, and crashes his plane into the IRS building. That quote is taken from his suicide note.

Vernon Hunter, the IRS worker who died, was a Vietnam vet.
Last edited by Xsyne on Thu May 13, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Fanaglia
Senator

Founded: Nov 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Thu May 13, 2010 6:31 pm

Xsyne wrote:
Fanaglia wrote:
Valenskiivov wrote:
Xsyne wrote:
Valenskiivov wrote:Haven't you heard of the man a couple months ago who burnt his house down and flew a plane into the IRS building because of them taking EVERYTHING them closing two of his businesses for unjust reasons and him flipping hell and giving up.

You mean the guy who murdered a Vietnam vet after the IRS told him that he was not a church, and therefore could not avoid taxes by claiming to be a church?
hadn't heard that part of the story? Why was there NO coverage of the media saying this? :eyebrow:

Uhh, there was. Lots of it, in fact. It was the same idiot who crashed his plane into the IRS building in Austin. Xsyne just got his facts mixed up -- he didn't murder a 'Nam vet over it; he was the 'Nam vet and he crashed his plane because of it. Summary of events: pores over tax laws with his buddies and realizes the "wonderful 'exemptions' that make institutions like the vulgar, corrupt Catholic Church so incredibly wealthy," attempts to evade taxes by declaring himself a church and is summarily denied, gets pissed as hell, and crashes his plane into the IRS building. That quote is taken from his suicide note.

Vernon Hunter, the IRS worker who died, was a Vietnam vet.

Well there you go. See how easy it is to make a mistake? But my point was that there was plenty of coverage; the bit that got the strongest response from Valenskiivov was misleading at best. My point still stands.
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook
OOC: Fanaglia is a steampunk nation; whenever I post IC, I'm posting from 1886. That, or from some sort of weird time rift in which my characters don't realize they are in fact 127 years in the future.
Barringtonia wrote:Only dirty hippies ride bicycles, white supremacists don't ride bicycles EVER, although the Nazis did steal a lot of bicycles from the Dutch, but that was to use the steel to make TANKS!

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Jesus H. Christ on a jelly pogo stick of justice.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:NS forums are SUPERGOOGLE.

The power of dozens of ordinary humans simultaneously interrogating a search engine with slightly different keywords. I'm getting all teared up just thinking of the power.

ILYLOL
Envoy

Founded: Feb 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ILYLOL » Thu May 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

he's smoking 8! :D
The Stalker Police in The Beast Church of Junkyland
Dad: 2nd PLT/Platty/Daddy (deceased from NS D':)
Mom: Celestial Divinities/Celly/Kirei
Son: Junkyland/Junk/Junky/Bro
Daughter: ILYLOL/Nekoko/Ily
2nd PLT wrote:
ILYLOL wrote:I wish I had magical powers so I can clean my room, pack for things, do my homework, etc. :D

Granted, but knowing you, you are over eager trying to use those powers and end up blowing up your room.

Regnum Ardesco
Spokesperson

Founded: May 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Ardesco » Thu May 13, 2010 9:48 pm

Don't let Oklahoma hit you on the way out.

Luciratus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Regnum Ardesco wrote:Don't let Oklahoma hit you on the way out.

Oklahoma isn't seceding. Neither is Texas. They are both great states but they are both better off with the U.S. I apologize for not knowing as much about Oklahoma as I could but I think it is possible that both states could survive without the U.S.; though they would be diminished a bit. The only talk of seccession comes from Texas governor Perry's comments to an over-excited crowd. Most of these comments were more hot-air and pandering than real desire for seccession. The majority of Texans do not want to secede. However the Feds should at least pay some concern to our interests just as they should to that of the other states. As far as I know Oklahoma isn't anywhere near seccession. I think that is more of a conspiracy theory or stretcher than anything truthful.

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Yavid Biram (chairman)

Factbook

Utvara
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Utvara » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:34 pm

Texas can leave, but we get to keep Austin as an exclave.
"To create a national fund, out of which there shall be paid to every person, when arrived at the age of twenty-one years, the sum of fifteen pounds sterling, as a compensation in part, for the loss of his or her natural inheritance, by the introduction of the system of landed property."
--Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice

Luciratus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:13 pm

Utvara wrote:Texas can leave, but we get to keep Austin as an exclave.

Jocular: You can keep it. Its too liberal and is going bankrupt anyway. However we keep the music industry and want sole custody of the capital buildings(as they are absolutely gorgeous and they are our center government). You may also provide haven for the Democrats of Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. We want Houston(it has oil), Dallas(it's big), and San Antonio(I just like the name and its pretty) though. Also we want to annex Louisiana, Oklahoma, and possibly Canada. This is going to be complicated. Deal or no Deal?
Last edited by Luciratus on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Yavid Biram (chairman)

Factbook

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:24 am

We would be better off without zombies.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General