NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal "Freedom of Marriage Act"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:55 am

Illyriel wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:Attention all bigots and nit-pickers: We will fight any attempt to repeal the Freedom of Marriage Act. It is a well-written GAR that ensures basic equity and fundamental human rights.

Please stop wasting our time with this pathetic nonsense.

The Catty Kitten Empire of Illyriel joins our fellow cats from The Cat-Tribe in support of the Freedom of Marriage Act. We will continue to oppose any efforts to repeal this resolution.
It's a well known fact* that cats are far more homosexual than other species. And they do love their weddings.

* is not a fact, unless a fact is something that you can make up. Oh wait, this is NS, of course we can make this stuff up!
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Dredafen
Spokesperson

Founded: May 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dredafen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:59 am

Sir, it would be appreciated if you would refrain from putting words in other ambassador's mouths or making assumptions as to their orientation or philosophies. Your conjecture is unrelated to the actual debate, and could be considered slander.
Ambassador Charles Slattery, phd.

Representing his majesty King Andlekor, esteemed monarch of the Kingdom of Dredafen.

Economic Left/Right: +9
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: +3.23

Illyriel
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 24, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Illyriel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:00 am

Hirota wrote:
Illyriel wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:Attention all bigots and nit-pickers: We will fight any attempt to repeal the Freedom of Marriage Act. It is a well-written GAR that ensures basic equity and fundamental human rights.

Please stop wasting our time with this pathetic nonsense.

The Catty Kitten Empire of Illyriel joins our fellow cats from The Cat-Tribe in support of the Freedom of Marriage Act. We will continue to oppose any efforts to repeal this resolution.
It's a well known fact* that cats are far more homosexual than other species. And they do love their weddings.

* is not a fact, unless a fact is something that you can make up. Oh wait, this is NS, of course we can make this stuff up!

That would be a factoid.

The Catty Kitten Empire of Illyriel.
=^'_'^=
-Meow.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:19 am

Dredafen wrote:Sir, it would be appreciated if you would refrain from putting words in other ambassador's mouths or making assumptions as to their orientation or philosophies. Your conjecture is unrelated to the actual debate, and could be considered slander.
Sir, it would be appreciated if you knew what a joke was. And could read small fonts. And not be an arrogant arse who thought he could presume to lecture me on how to behave.
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Dredafen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dredafen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:24 am

I'm sorry, I had always been under the impression that a joke was supposed to be funny. My mistake.

Perhaps you should take your own advice and realize when someone is being sarcastic. I'm sure you meant no harm with your remarks, and know well enough how to behave when you're not accusing other ambassadors of being arrogant arses, and must be a charming fellow indeed.

Representing his majesty King Andlekor, esteemed monarch of the Kingdom of Dredafen.

Minotzia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Minotzia » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:48 am

Toiletdonia wrote:I don't agree with a repeal. Making marriage liberal and free is a very valid resolution.

Nonsense. Resolution #2 states: "Every WA Member State has the right to independence and hence to exercise freely, without dictation by any other NationState, all its legal powers," which is clearly in conflict with FoMA: "No State shall create special categories of contracts" and "No State shall establish different conditions, requirements or effects."

Resolution #15, FoMA, is clearly in violation of Resolution #2, because if you look at the text of FoMA you find the specific NATIONAL bias as opposed to the world sentiment:
"CONVINCED that the union of two persons should be equally protected by the State regardless of gender or sexual orientation,

CONVINCED that it is necessary to adopt worldwide standards for the protection of minorities whenever persons of these minorities decide to share a life together,

Since there is clear opposition to the resolution, it's clear that the world is not "convinced" that it is necessary. Rewording it may fix that issue, but it still reeks of a merely national perspective.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:46 am

Minotzia wrote:
Toiletdonia wrote:I don't agree with a repeal. Making marriage liberal and free is a very valid resolution.

Nonsense.
Clearly it is not nonsense because over 50% of those who voted on it, voted for it.

Resolution #15, FoMA, is clearly in violation of Resolution #2,
If it was illegal, it would have been deleted before reaching vote. Also, you've missed the whole of Section 3 of Res #2, specifically article 9 which outlines a Member states obligations to satisfy international law, including resolutions.

Minotzia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Minotzia » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:51 am

Hirota wrote:
Minotzia wrote:

Nonsense.
Clearly it is not nonsense because over 50% of those who voted on it, voted for it.

Resolution #15, FoMA, is clearly in violation of Resolution #2,
If it was illegal, it would have been deleted before reaching vote. Also, you've missed the whole of Section 3 of Res #2, specifically article 9 which outlines a Member states obligations to satisfy international law, including resolutions.

My point is that this isn't international law. It's nation oriented, as clearly indicated by the use of the word CONVINCED.

Gaypeoples
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaypeoples » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:57 am

i am really against a repeal.
its not fair to discriminate people for its sexuality. We have a heterosexual minority and they have equal rights too, because the couldnt really change his sexuality. We think heterosexual is a bit "sick", because it doesnt make as happy as homosexual, but the technique in our country to change sexuality is quite new and the "old" heterosexual loves and families cant be destroyed!!! That would be a very terrible idea against minorities that cant really change their sexuality!!!
Its only in example in our country. Its against human rights!
religion isnt rational, so religion arent allowed to believe everything that destroy people's life!

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:14 am

Minotzia wrote:My point is that this isn't international law.
And my point is that it is international law because it has been legislated on by the WA.

What you mean is if it should be international law - and trying to misrepresent another resolution to suggest it isn't.

It's nation oriented, as clearly indicated by the use of the word CONVINCED.
So you are quibbling over the language used? Because it's CONVINCED (in the preamble), the resolution is undermined? Better go repeal a whole heap of other resolutions (#16, #17, #30, #34, #37, #38, #58, #77) because they use the word CONVINCED as a preambulatory clause then. :palm:

Gaypeoples wrote:i am really against a repeal.
its not fair to discriminate people for its sexuality.
And I bet you have lots of gay cats too. :lol:
Last edited by Hirota on Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:23 am

Dredafen wrote:Sir, it would be appreciated if you would refrain from putting words in other ambassador's mouths or making assumptions as to their orientation or philosophies. Your conjecture is unrelated to the actual debate, and could be considered slander.

In what way slander your Excellency?

Yours,
Last edited by Urgench on Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:26 am

Urgench wrote:

In what way slander your Excellency?

Yours,
Oh it's okay, he was being "sarcastic" and "joking" - in that way people claim they were "joking" or being "sarcastic" when they are clearly are not and just claiming they are to avoid further smiting.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:11 am

Minotzia wrote:

Nonsense. Resolution #2 states: "Every WA Member State has the right to independence and hence to exercise freely, without dictation by any other NationState, all its legal powers," which is clearly in conflict with FoMA: "No State shall create special categories of contracts" and "No State shall establish different conditions, requirements or effects."

Resolution #15, FoMA, is clearly in violation of Resolution #2, because if you look at the text of FoMA you find the specific NATIONAL bias as opposed to the world sentiment:
"CONVINCED that the union of two persons should be equally protected by the State regardless of gender or sexual orientation,

Actually, no it's not due to Article 2 of Rights and Duties.
WA Resolution #2 wrote:Article 2 § Every WA Member State has the right to exercise jurisdiction over its territory and over all persons and things therein, subject to the immunities recognized by international law.

Which in layman's terms means that the WA can overrule national sovereignty.
Last edited by Flibbleites on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dredafen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dredafen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:23 am

Out of sheer curiosity, we would like to ask the delegate from Gaypeoples how their population perpetuates itself.

We bore no ill will towards the nation of, or the ambassador from Hirota, and have stated this much already. We'd appreciate it if you wouldn't presume as to the intention with which our words are spoken.

But despite these meaningless little quibbles, the fact stands that there's no real justification for a repeal, no matter how long we argue back and forth on National Sov.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:20 pm

Dredafen wrote:Out of sheer curiosity, we would like to ask the delegate from Gaypeoples how their population perpetuates itself.

If I had to guess, I would presume that it has something to do with surrogates and both sperm banks and egg banks. I would also think that, depending on their national laws, there could be a pretty good living to be made for women who are willing to act as a surrogate for a gay male couple. Of course, international adoption may also be a possibility as there are many nations without the resources necessary to support their nations' children.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Dredafen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dredafen » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:54 am

That's certainly a possibility. It would also not surprise me if their country acted as a save haven for homosexual immigrants from other countries who are fleeing persecution.

We admire the nation of Gaypeoples for founding a haven where homosexuals can live in peace, while still managing to not be vengeful and preserve the rights of others. :clap:

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly