NATION

PASSWORD

Woman finds a Nazi symbol in her chicken sandwich.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:53 pm

Australian Republic wrote:There's a difference between being bored and being unprofessional and drawing silly things, and drawing a NAZI symbol

As I said the person could have drawn the peace symbol or a happy face. I am pretty sure no one would be complaining.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:53 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
Versailles-Champagne wrote:Wait a minute, this woman actually bothered to look at what she was eating?? Blasphemy, I say!
In all seriousness though, firing the employee was probably a bit over the top since it was most likely an immature kid. A nice slap on the wrist would have sufficed in my book. Although, I can see where they're coming from. It is difficult to find common ground when something like this happens, especially if the company is large and can easily be targeted by bad publicity.

Yeas, but they could also be targeted for unfair dismisal

Being fired for violating company policy is the exact opposite of unfair dismissal.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:55 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Like I said, the Swastika could represent Buddhism.
And before anyone starts the "But in modern America..."
Prove to me that there are no Buddhists in Modern America, and that this kid is not Buddhist himself

Well, the fact that he told his boss that he did it because he was bored instead of saying "It's a holy symbol to me" would be one major fucking clue to anyone with an ounce of reading comprehension. But maybe that's just me.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:55 pm

Versailles-Champagne wrote:Wait a minute, this woman actually bothered to look at what she was eating?? Blasphemy, I say!
In all seriousness though, firing the employee was probably a bit over the top since it was most likely an immature kid. A nice slap on the wrist would have sufficed in my book. Although, I can see where they're coming from. It is difficult to find common ground when something like this happens, especially if the company is large and can easily be targeted by bad publicity.

North Carolina is an at-will-employment state. Unless the firing happens to specifically be targeted in discrimination to someone because they are a member of a protected class for a reason of their membership in said protected class...... there is no "unfair dismissal". The manager could walk in and for whatever reason look at someone and go "you're fired" without stating any reason and it would be perfectly fine.
Such heroic nonsense!

Rothuria
Secretary

Founded: Jul 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rothuria » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:56 pm

Meh. Butter. Swastika. There are worse things to be outraged about. :roll:
El Factbooko
(NEW STUFF, WIP)
CLICK
AND HELP REVIVE JADIS
THE WHITE WITCH!
I am an Italiano he-nerd
who is most often in a
pixie stick-enduced
sugar-high.
Located roughly in what is called Kamchatka in the "Real World", whatever that is.

Population: 15,012,000 est.

Hollywood-Capitalist stereotypes do not apply to Rothuria.
...I like geckos.
Jesus loves you. :-3 -Moi
The bright side of it is… that if we break our necks getting down the cliff, then we’re safe from being drowned in the river. -C. S. Lewis
I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born. -Pres. Ronald Reagan

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:56 pm

The Greater Luthorian Empire wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
As does the company that hired said fast-food worker.

Seriously? You are paying someone minimum wage to make crappy food and deal with annoying customers. If you seriously expect loyal, dedicated, professional workers you are delusional.

How about employees who don't inscribe hate symbols on the product? Is that too much to ask for?

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:58 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Of course I expect fast food employees to act professionally, but that isn't the point. The point is that his employers likely expected him to act more professionally. There's no doubt that this was a bored employee. Fast food work is boring. I know this from experience. Still, if you're going to draw a symbol that causes offense, then you have to expect that if you're found out, there's a good chance that the person who finds you out will be offended.

If the person was board and wanted to draw on food, why not draw inoffensive symbols instead, like the peace symbol or a smiley face?

Exactly! I mean, if someone wants to draw nonsense on the buns, that's fine. Just stay away from the stuff that could easily piss off the customers. No swastikas, no penises, no obscenities.

Versailles-Champagne
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Versailles-Champagne » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:59 pm

They can, but I don't think many people consider his dismissal to be unfair. The people whining about race and tolerance are a very loud group and get attention in the media much easier.

Galter Gulcher
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Galter Gulcher » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:59 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Galter Gulcher wrote:That lady is probably fat.

And it would matter if she is, because?

She probably doesn't need the butter anyway so to say.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature.
Screw the NSA.
I support gay marriage.
I am against Gay attitudes towards pretty much anything.
Hungary people need to just eat some endangered animals.
Mallorea and Riva should be awarded for their actions.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:02 pm

Galter Gulcher wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:And it would matter if she is, because?

What's this got to do with the price of tea in China?
Just A Little though

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Galter Gulcher wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:And it would matter if she is, because?

In other words, it doesn't matter, you just were grasping at straws, looking for an excuse to attack the woman.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Like I said, the Swastika could represent Buddhism.
And before anyone starts the "But in modern America..."
Prove to me that there are no Buddhists in Modern America, and that this kid is not Buddhist himself

Well, the fact that he told his boss that he did it because he was bored instead of saying "It's a holy symbol to me" would be one major fucking clue to anyone with an ounce of reading comprehension. But maybe that's just me.

Indeed, customer brings a swastika drawn bun to me with a complaint.... i'm going to discuss it with the employee and it's going to play out three ways:
1. He will say the symbol is holy to him... to which I will ask him not to do it as it can cause offense to customers who may see it. And let them take a pass it for now.
2. He will say he is sorry and that he did wrong and will not do it again... in which case he can still work, and take a pass on it now.
3. He will say he was bored and just clowning around.... he will be fired.

There's a general concept in customer service roles called owning the situation. Someone who cannot take ownership of their act and responsibility.... needs to go.
Such heroic nonsense!

Versailles-Champagne
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Versailles-Champagne » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:04 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

Being an immature kid does not give one a free pass to violate company policy.

I agree, but I still think that it was a little extreme. If it was the first time he did something like that then he should be given a second chance. If it happens repeatedly, then he can be fired without a second thought.

Galter Gulcher
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Galter Gulcher » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:05 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Galter Gulcher wrote:

In other words, it doesn't matter, you just were grasping at straws, looking for an excuse to attack the woman.

Dam'n straight.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature.
Screw the NSA.
I support gay marriage.
I am against Gay attitudes towards pretty much anything.
Hungary people need to just eat some endangered animals.
Mallorea and Riva should be awarded for their actions.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:08 pm

Versailles-Champagne wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Being an immature kid does not give one a free pass to violate company policy.

I agree, but I still think that it was a little extreme. If it was the first time he did something like that then he should be given a second chance. If it happens repeatedly, then he can be fired without a second thought.

Under North Carolina law, not only are second thoughts optional.... first thoughts are optional as well.
Such heroic nonsense!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:10 pm

Versailles-Champagne wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Being an immature kid does not give one a free pass to violate company policy.

That's not how the real world works. In the real world, if you violate company policy and your best defense is "I was bored", you will be out of a job.
Married to Koshka

Versailles-Champagne
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Versailles-Champagne » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:15 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Versailles-Champagne wrote:I agree, but I still think that it was a little extreme. If it was the first time he did something like that then he should be given a second chance. If it happens repeatedly, then he can be fired without a second thought.

That's not how the real world works. In the real world, if you violate company policy and your best defense is "I was bored", you will be out of a job.

I am very much aware that the real world does not function in this way. I'm merely stating my opinion on what I think would have been a fair resolution to this problem. I'm not defending his actions, nor am I trying to say that the company was in the wrong by doing what they did. If they feel like firing him, then so be it, he brought it upon himself.

Aurora Novus
Senator

Founded: Jan 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:33 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:
Because it was a joke. It was humerous, and that's how she should have taken it. As something funny that happened. Not something to be morally outraged over.

It was a joke?

See, I've spent my whole life enjoying comedy. I've even written some comedic material that proved reasonably popular for a local theater group. Comedy is one of the things that I consider sacred in life. I'm always open to new types of humor.

Explain the joke to me.

The absurdity of something like that is funny. It's funny because it's ridiculous. It's so out there. A hidden buttered swastika? That's funny.

It doesn't have to be some rigorously thought-out joke to be funny. Some things are funny because of how silly and absurd they are.

Evidently she, and you, don't find it funny. I'm not asking you to find it funny. I'm saying that you should recognize it for what it is; stupid humor. And to not treat it like some moral outrage, as she has. That's not stupid funny, that's just stupid.

She should've just eaten her sandwhich and gone about her day. Instead she had to try and harm someone else's, because she couldn't stand the thought of not being the morality police.

Princess Anna of Arendelle
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Princess Anna of Arendelle » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:36 am

Aurora Novus wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
It was a joke?

See, I've spent my whole life enjoying comedy. I've even written some comedic material that proved reasonably popular for a local theater group. Comedy is one of the things that I consider sacred in life. I'm always open to new types of humor.

Explain the joke to me.

The absurdity of something like that is funny. It's funny because it's ridiculous. It's so out there. A hidden buttered swastika? That's funny.

It doesn't have to be some rigorously thought-out joke to be funny. Some things are funny because of how silly and absurd they are.

Evidently she, and you, don't find it funny. I'm not asking you to find it funny. I'm saying that you should recognize it for what it is; stupid humor. And to not treat it like some moral outrage, as she has. That's not stupid funny, that's just stupid.

She should've just eaten her sandwhich and gone about her day. Instead she had to try and harm someone else's, because she couldn't stand the thought of not being the morality police.

Its amazing how a symbol can have so much power

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:36 am

Aurora Novus wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
It was a joke?

Explain the joke to me.

No it really isn't. All it is is stupid. It isn't stupid humor, it's just stupid. Why should she have to. She did not like having a swasttka on her sandwich, so she complained. It isn't about morality police, it's about someone acting in an unprofessional manner.

Princess Anna of Arendelle wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:

Its amazing how a symbol can have so much power

Why is it so amazing? Symbols are representations of an actual thing. The US flag represents the US, which is why people who dislike the US or disagree with the US burn the flag.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:37 am

Aurora Novus wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
It was a joke?

Explain the joke to me.

She did not treat it as a moral outrage, nor did she try to harm someone else's day.
Married to Koshka

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Princess Anna of Arendelle » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:38 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:

No it really isn't. All it is is stupid. It isn't stupid humor, it's just stupid. Why should she have to. She did not like having a swasttka on her sandwich, so she complained. It isn't about morality police, it's about someone acting in an unprofessional manner.

This joke is the same as graffiti or vandalism. Its an attempt to troll someone for fun. I would never write a swastika on someones food. WHAT IF SHE WAS JEWISH, she could have sued the company

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:39 am

Aurora Novus wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
It was a joke?

Explain the joke to me.

"Coz itz funny lol" is not and has never been an excuse for anything. I know if you actually find a swastika drawn on a sandwich funny, there'll never be any agreement between us on what actually constitutes funny so I won't bother going down that path. Although I'm curious as to why she should be shamed for exercising her right to voice her opinion on the matter. And why she shouldn't feel compelled to report unprofessional behavior on the part of an employee to the manager.

Hopefully I don't have to convince you how unprofessional it is to draw controversial symbols on consumer products.
Yes.

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Princess Anna of Arendelle » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:41 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:

"Coz itz funny lol" is not and has never been an excuse for anything. I know if you actually find a swastika drawn on a sandwich funny, there'll never be any agreement between us on what actually constitutes funny so I won't bother going down that path. Although I'm curious as to why she should be shamed for exercising her right to voice her opinion on the matter. And why she shouldn't feel compelled to report unprofessional behavior on the part of an employee to the manager.

Hopefully I don't have to convince you how unprofessional it is to draw controversial symbols on consumer products.

Exactly, the lack of professionalism is all too common

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:41 am

Princess Anna of Arendelle wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

This joke is the same as graffiti or vandalism. Its an attempt to troll someone for fun. I would never write a swastika on someones food. WHAT IF SHE WAS JEWISH, she could have sued the company

Graffiti or vandalism isn't funny. Neither is punching someone in the face or stomping on their cellphone. If you find graffiti or vandalism funny, you have my pity.
Yes.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General