NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Chamber [NSG Senate] - Version 4

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Bierstaat
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bierstaat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Britanno wrote:NB has been busy with his elections, so that's why things have moved... well, not moved.

I don't really think it's fair to try to have a vote here while there's a presidential election going on.
POLITICAL COMPASS
Economic +2.75
Social +1.28

Thomas Jefferson wrote:I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Marcus Jenkins's vote on the Domestic Development package:
An Act for the Establishment of National Honours for Extraordinary Achievements in the Arts- I approve. Aye.
Repeal of the First Amendment to the Limiting Legislation Act- I disapprove. Nay.
Transport Safety Act-I approve. Aye.
Motor Vehicle Licencing and Registration Act-
Sign Language Standardisation Act-
Post-Care Youth Accommodation Act-
Careers Advice 12-18 Year Old Act-

The others I will vote on after I read them.
-Marcus Jenkins, district 120 (independent)
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Britanno
Minister

Founded: Apr 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:56 pm

New Bierstaat wrote:
Britanno wrote:NB has been busy with his elections, so that's why things have moved... well, not moved.

I don't really think it's fair to try to have a vote here while there's a presidential election going on.

Good point.

Appoint a Secretary of the Senate by the way, I mean what if you go inactive? :p
NSGS Liberal Democrats - The Centrist Alternative
British, male, heterosexual, aged 26, liberal conservative, unitarian universalist
Pro: marriage equality, polygamy, abortion up to viability, UK Lib Dems, US Democrats
Anti: discrimination, euroscepticism, UKIP, immigrant bashing, UK Labour, US Republicans
British Home Counties wrote:
Alyakia wrote:our nations greatest achievement is slowly but surely being destroyed
America is doing fine atm

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:56 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Marcus Jenkins's vote on the Domestic Development package:
An Act for the Establishment of National Honours for Extraordinary Achievements in the Arts- I approve. Aye.
Repeal of the First Amendment to the Limiting Legislation Act- I disapprove. Nay.
Transport Safety Act-I approve. Aye.
Motor Vehicle Licencing and Registration Act-
Sign Language Standardisation Act-
Post-Care Youth Accommodation Act-
Careers Advice 12-18 Year Old Act-

The others I will vote on after I read them.
-Marcus Jenkins, district 120 (independent)

Sorry to disappoint you but there is not a vote at present in the chamber.
Slava Ukraini

New Bierstaat
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Bierstaat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:02 pm

Britanno wrote:
New Bierstaat wrote:I don't really think it's fair to try to have a vote here while there's a presidential election going on.

Good point.

Appoint a Secretary of the Senate by the way, I mean what if you go inactive? :p

I believe that responsibility rests with the VP.
POLITICAL COMPASS
Economic +2.75
Social +1.28

Thomas Jefferson wrote:I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.

Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:03 pm

Oh. Well then, when will there be a vote in the chamber, when we have a new President?
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:04 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Oh. Well then, when will there be a vote in the chamber, when we have a new President?

When we have a new president yes. But if NB wins we also need a new PpT
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

The Licentian Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Licentian Isles » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:41 pm

New Bierstaat wrote:
Britanno wrote:
Good point.

I believe that responsibility rests with the VP.

It does, but I don't see that it's worth it for a couple of days in which no voting will happen anyway. We'll just leave it until the new leaders appoint their choice of PpT.
Two Time Esportivan Champions

Costa Alegria
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Alegria » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Railway Operations and Regulations Act
Category: Domestic Development
Urgency: None
Drafted By: Michael Blumenthal (NDP)
Sponsors: Minarchist States (LP), Coronea (Reform), Dangelia (CMP), Divitaen (CMP)

RECOGNISING: The attempts made by the Railways Act to regulate the railways network and ensure safe operation of said railways.

NOTING: That whilst the Railways Act was made with good intentions, it was inadequate and did not cover all aspects of rail transportation in Aurentina.

HEREBY: Repeals the Railways Act and passes the Railway Operations and Regulations Act.

Article 1: On Infrastructure
1a: Hereby mandates that all public railways are to retain the 1435mm ( international standard) gauge lines and that all rolling stock intended to operate on public lines must be compatible.
1b: Adopts the British system of railway signalling and rules regarding signalling.
1c: Mandates that British standard visual signals are to be maintained on all public lines and replaced when necessary.
1d: Mandates that level crossings in urban areas have the following:
  • Road markings indicating a level crossing
  • Road signs indicating a level crossing
  • Audible warning sirens which are to be standardised
  • Visual warnings such as flashing lights
  • Automatic barriers
1e: Mandates that level crossings in rural areas have the following:
  • Road markings indicating a level crossing
  • Road signs indicating a level crossing
  • Audible or visual warnings
  • Stop sign

1f: All speed limit signs are to be displayed on yellow signs with black characters and numerals.
1g: All public rail infrastructure is to be maintained and owned by the government under a subsidiary created and owned by the Ministry of Transport.
1h: All train stations are to be owned jointly by the Ministry of Transport and local city and district councils.
1i: City councils may construct control rooms to handle commuter, passenger and freight traffic on all rail lines within the council's territory.
1j: All rail lines are to have a 25 KV AC overhead electric rail traction system as standard.
1k: All companies operating services on public lines must pay a set amount of profits annually to the government for the maintenance of the public rail system.

Article 2: On Operation
2a: All commuter rail trains must not exceed posted speed limits and are limited to a top speed of 110km/h.
2b: All inter-city passenger and freight trains must not exceed 160km/h.
2c: All high-speed train sets must not exceed 320km/h or their safe operating speed, whichever comes first.
2d: Failure to abide by the speed limit will result in an immediate £1,500 fine plus an additional £100 per kilometre over the posted limit.
2e: All train drivers must be appropriately licenced. Failure to abide by this will result in an immediate suspension and a fine against the operating company of £5,000.
2f: All train companies must ensure that their employees are not operating train services under the influence of drugs or other substances. To do so whilst under the influence is illegal and is punishable by immediate suspension and a fine of £5,000 against the company.
2g: Hereby deregulates the railway network to allow private companies to begin operations.
2h: Mandates that Aurail must be retained as a state-owned enterprise.
2i: Declares the following to be necessary for operation in Aurentina:
  • A minimum of £15 million as an initial investment to acquire rolling stock, locomotives and employees.
  • An appropriate licence for the type of service the company wishes to engage in.
  • Have already well established rail services in another country.
2j: Allows city councils to contract commuter rail services to private or public companies and to use rates collected to subsidise commuter rail services.

Article 3: On Heritage Rail
3a: Allows heritage rail societies to purchase disused rail locomotives, rolling stock and rail line sections fron Aurail or other companies in order to begin operations.
3b: All drivers registered with a heritage rail society must be resgistered as any other train driver.
3c: All trains on pirvate lines must abide by speed limits on public lines where posted.
3d: All trains on public lines must abide by the same laws as commerical trains.
I AM THE RHYMENOCEROUS!
Member of the [under new management] in the NSG Senate

If You Lot Really Must Know...
Pro: Legalisation of Marijuana, LGBT rights, freedom of speech, freedom of press, democracy yadda yadda.
Con: Nationalism, authoritariansim, totalitarianism, omnipotent controlling religious beliefs, general stupidity.
Meh: Everything else that I can't be fucked giving an opinion about.

Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Has debate restarted or are we moving to a fifth NSG Senate chamber?
E Stēllīs Lībertās

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:22 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Has debate restarted or are we moving to a fifth NSG Senate chamber?

Nope, waiting for the VP to appoint a new PpT then we can get going.
Slava Ukraini

New Bierstaat
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Bierstaat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:23 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Has debate restarted or are we moving to a fifth NSG Senate chamber?

I think we can stay in this chamber, we'll just have to wait until we have a new PpT, unless Beta Test wants to keep it up in the meantime.
POLITICAL COMPASS
Economic +2.75
Social +1.28

Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:34 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:

Nope, waiting for the VP to appoint a new PpT then we can get going.

Well, in that case I'll be going to II.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

President Pro-Tempore of the Senate
Civilian

Founded: Nov 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby President Pro-Tempore of the Senate » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:25 am

"As I stand before you today as the new Senate President Pro Tempore I am grateful for the faith shown in me by both our nations president and most importantly vice-president.

There are a few issues that I hope to address during my tenure, the first being the dullness of debate in the chamber. Very often bills are not debated or picked through for failings or loopholes, dispute the passing of a bill designed to prevent such things nothing has yet been done. This committee needs to be created and I will persistently pester higher beings until it is. But it is not just the job of the committee to find these problems but the job of all senators, we as a collective must highlight these problems in chamber so they may be corrected.

Secondly there is the confines of the way the current way the chamber is operated. Certain un-written laws have been enforced that I feel detract from accountability in the chamber as well as possibly deterring people from pointing out mistakes for fear of a reprimand. If there is a problem with a vote in anyway this should be raised in the chamber and dealt with there. Of course this is 100% a privilege and I hope that you will all work with me to ensure that this can be implemented with common sense and decency. This is how I and the chambers president wish to run our legislative chamber, but needless to say abuse of this privilege will see it revoked to the detriment of us all.

Thirdly this issue of lack of debate. I have after consultation with Vice-President Weinthal decided to instigate the awarding of a weekly debating trophy to the senator who has contributed most to debates in the chamber. The winner will receive the converted Johnson Trophy 8) , a magnum of champagne and £1000 to donate to a charity of the winners choice. We hope that this will bring some lively debates back to the chamber as well as highlighting those who do their constituents great service by devoting their time to the debates at hand.

Finally, There is the problem of many senators who turn up and vote without reading the bills, maybe on party line maybe on a bill title and preamble. This is I feel doing their constituents a disservice and we should encourage senators to think for themselves. Although this may have something to do with the number of bills at vote at once. This is what engages people in the political process, seeing that their representatives each have their own minds. That they vote on their own conscience whatever their views or side of the spectrum, that they are not whipped into line by party leaders. They were elected by their constituents and they should act in the interest of the views of the people who elected them not a party or coalition line. Therefor I shall allow and encourage all senators to make a short speech as they vote on bills in chamber, whilst of course no reply's are directly allowed this may help and encourage senators to make their own minds up about a bill as well as stimulate debate in the corridors of the senate as the vote happens.

These are the hopes, aims and commitments of Mr Weinthal and myself as the President and Vice-President of the senate.

Now onto procedural matters, the debate on the first section of Domestic Development will officially begin at 5pm local time and continue for the next 72 hours."
Current Officer: Senator Joseph Vehrstadt.

All times are given in local time, the Aurentine Commonwealth's timezone is CTE.

Civilian

Ex-Nation

Postby President Pro-Tempore of the Senate » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:28 am

All times are given in local time, the Aurentine Commonwealth's timezone is CTE.

Next Washington
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Next Washington » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:40 am

Section A
- An Act for the Establishment of National Honours for Extraordinary Achievements in the Arts - waste of money
- Repeal of the First Amendment to the Limiting Legislation Act - :clap:
- Transport Safety Act - a ship in my eyes needs an engine :eyebrow: , bus: define "many" seats (is a van with 8 seats a bus?), altogether: overregulation, not really needed in my eyes
- National Motor Vehicle Licencing and Registration Act - as i read the MVRA: " Administration shall be vested in a roading agency upon its creation or controlled directly by the Ministry of Transport as outlined in Article 1c. " -> 1c: "1c: The Ministry of Transport shall administer all government bodies that are not administered by relevant government agencies. " so why do do we need a new law?
- Post-Care Youth Accommodation Act - Accomodation is not defined... where's the ALHC when you need it?
- Careers Advice 12-18 Year Old Act - 12-18 years... so if someone has to repeat one class and he's 19 he doesn't get advice anymore :eyebrow:

[i want the johnson trophy :D ]
Last edited by Next Washington on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so" - RR
"A president who breaks the law is a threat to the very structure of our government." - AG
Factbook Military Statistics
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Civilian

Ex-Nation

Postby President Pro-Tempore of the Senate » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:27 am

Next Washington wrote:Section A
- An Act for the Establishment of National Honours for Extraordinary Achievements in the Arts - waste of money
- Transport Safety Act - a ship in my eyes needs an engine :eyebrow: , bus: define "many" seats (is a van with 8 seats a bus?), altogether: overregulation, not really needed in my eyes
- National Motor Vehicle Licencing and Registration Act - as i read the MVRA: " Administration shall be vested in a roading agency upon its creation or controlled directly by the Ministry of Transport as outlined in Article 1c. " -> 1c: "1c: The Ministry of Transport shall administer all government bodies that are not administered by relevant government agencies. " so why do do we need a new law?
- Post-Care Youth Accommodation Act - Accomodation is not defined... where's the ALHC when you need it?
- Careers Advice 12-18 Year Old Act - 12-18 years... so if someone has to repeat one class and he's 19 he doesn't get advice anymore :eyebrow:

You will need better critical analysis if you wish to obtain the Johnson Trophy. :meh:

Why senator do you believe that *insert mouthful of a bill name about The Arts* is a waste of money?
Last edited by President Pro-Tempore of the Senate on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next Washington
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Next Washington » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:35 am

President Pro-Tempore of the Senate wrote:
Next Washington wrote:Section A

You will need better critical analysis if you wish to obtain the Johnson Trophy. :meh:

Why senator do you believe that *insert mouthful of a bill name about The Arts* is a waste of money?

you really believe i want your price? :rofl: [i don't drink, so i couldn't use the champagne]

well, why should the gov pay a poet? i mean, a photographer, ok, a pr-manager, ok, but a poet?

and why a states chronicler? there are hundreds of private historian who wrote national chronicles, tons of tv shows and articles about aurentina history, so leave that to the private sector

btw if you wanna discuss use your nv account, the sppt should only announce and call votes
Last edited by Next Washington on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so" - RR
"A president who breaks the law is a threat to the very structure of our government." - AG
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Minarchist States
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Minarchist States » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:45 am

"Career advice"

Rofl, the only "career advice" I ever got was a stupid personality test. And if people don't know what to do they go into politics. :p
Otherwise known as The Liberated Territories
Join Team Vestmark - NSGS Reboot

Civilian

Ex-Nation

Postby President Pro-Tempore of the Senate » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:48 am

Next Washington wrote:

you really believe i want your price? :rofl: [i don't drink, so i couldn't use the champagne]

well, why should the gov pay a poet? i mean, a photographer, ok, a pr-manager, ok, but a poet?

and why a states chronicler? there are hundreds of private historian who wrote national chronicles, tons of tv shows and articles about aurentina history, so leave that to the private sector

btw if you wanna discuss use your nv account, the sppt should only announce and call votes

Interesting point's, Whilst the author of the bill does not seem to be present today I am sure there must be those who support the bill. Who may also wish to speak on his behalf as to why they believe this bill should be supported by the senate.

btw I am asking questions to facilitate discussion not discussing or giving my own opinions, I am trying to get senators to say more than "waste of money" when talking about a bill Mkay. Just as many "speakers" do around the world. I presume you can recognize this difference sir?
Last edited by President Pro-Tempore of the Senate on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Licentian Isles
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Licentian Isles » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:57 am

Next Washington wrote:

The arts aren't a waste of money. They have inspired millions of people around the world into doing something different, and to find a career for themselves. If it wasn't for people telling me to have a go at acting and music, I would never have been confident enough to say my name to the Chamber, never mind make comments challenging people. The arts inspire; we need to put funding behind that.

Next Washington
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Next Washington » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:59 am

Next Washington wrote:

Interesting point's, Whilst the author of the bill does not seem to be present today I am sure there must be those who support the bill. Who may also wish to speak on his behalf as to why they believe this bill should be supported by the senate.

btw I am asking questions to facilitate discussion not discussing or giving my own opinions, I am trying to get senators to say more than "waste of money" when talking about a bill Mkay. Just as many "speakers" do around the world. I presume you can recognize this difference sir?

i have no problem with the fact that there are those who'll support this bill, that's called democracy ;), and i support the idea

nevertheless discussion means that different opinions come together and, in the best case, lift the overall satisfaction with the idea by a multipartisan agreement

Noble position that you wanna "ignitiate" discussion, but the old sppt didn't do it, and i don't think it'd be your job, although i don#t wanna question the way you execute your job, so keep asking :meh:

btw: as sppt i hope you know what's going on with the alhc... ainin somehow refused to form it, what will this gov do so mistakes, eg the (in my eyes) misdecription of ship, won't happen again?

Next Washington
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Next Washington » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:01 am

The Licentian Isles wrote:
Next Washington wrote:

The arts aren't a waste of money. They have inspired millions of people around the world into doing something different, and to find a career for themselves. If it wasn't for people telling me to have a go at acting and music, I would never have been confident enough to say my name to the Chamber, never mind make comments challenging people. The arts inspire; we need to put funding behind that.

if arts inspire people, ok, but artists should earn their own money and participate, like every other form of entrepreneur, in the private sector, and not be indirectly subsidized by the gov by paying a poet and chronologist

The Licentian Isles
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Licentian Isles » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:11 am

Next Washington wrote:
The Licentian Isles wrote:

if arts inspire people, ok, but artists should earn their own money and participate, like every other form of entrepreneur, in the private sector, and not be indirectly subsidized by the gov by paying a poet and chronologist

Artists will only earn money through their art if people are aware of it; how do you expect people to promote their art without the money to do so ??

Civilian

Ex-Nation

Postby President Pro-Tempore of the Senate » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:15 am

Next Washington wrote:

i have no problem with the fact that there are those who'll support this bill, that's called democracy ;), and i support the idea

nevertheless discussion means that different opinions come together and, in the best case, lift the overall satisfaction with the idea by a multipartisan agreement

Noble position that you wanna "ignitiate" discussion, but the old sppt didn't do it, and i don't think it'd be your job, although i don#t wanna question the way you execute your job, so keep asking :meh:

btw: as sppt i hope you know what's going on with the alhc... ainin somehow refused to form it, what will this gov do so mistakes, eg the (in my eyes) misdecription of ship, won't happen again?

So engage in the discussion senator, I am only here to make sure things run smoothly and after discussions with Mr Weinthal to attempt to make the chamber the home of debate once more.

As set out in my opening speech, I want transparency, I want people to feel they can raise issue with me about anything to do with the chamber or what the current President of the senate and myself are trying to achieve. Yes I know the old President Pro Temp did not, but why should we always be stuck in the past? The world evolves, the march of progress is upon us and due to the dwindling amount of debate in the chamber a new approach must be sought. This is why I have embarked on a different course to the previous incumbents. We need to try something new to keep up activity levels from senators, we need a more proactive course from those in a position to influence proceedings.

I will talk to MV about it as he is head admin but such a committee signed into law does need to be created but until that point I will try in an unofficial capacity to take on the role. Of course being only one man I may not catch everything.

Also I will stick your bill into the queue momentarily.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives