NATION

PASSWORD

A question for Anti-Theists

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Crystal Spires
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

A question for Anti-Theists

Postby Crystal Spires » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:04 pm

What definitions of God make you uncomfortable and why do you think you feel most uncomfortable with this definition?

I am an Agnostic Atheist, and I have not really understood what makes people so uncomfortable and angry with regards to a the idea of God. I imagined it was with the idea that God was described as Omnipotent by Abrahamic God believers, but most existing Gods (Even the Abrahamic one) in mythology seem to possess limited power. None that I am aware of are omnipotent, as they are either subject and powerless to the will of human beings, or subject and powerless to the other factors in the existence of the universe like other powerful demigods in mythical stories. While I can understand finding specific gods like for example the Greek God Ares, the Mayan God Tlaloc, and the Canaanite God Sabaoth to be distasteful and crude with their promotion of violence, genocide, murder I would not go so far as to be hostile to the idea of a God existing. Not to mention there are other deities like Krishna and Atum-Ra which aren't exactly bloodthirsty Gods which aren't really contemptible and don't generally get viewed as an all powerful etc. So I couldn't really be hostile toward such conceptions of a god. However in order to be anti theist one has to hold these conceptions of God also in contempt to be something despised. While the idea of a malevolent god is not nice and is worthy of contempt in my opinion, the idea of an impotent God doesn't fill me with rage. Nor does the problem of evil weigh down so hard if we consider the possibility of an impotent god.

So, if we remove the problem of the existence of evil and declare God to be impotent in the face of evil like we are, why would one be hostile to the idea of a limited theistic God?
Read the Mystria Factbook if you want to Join the region, read the factbook and contact Spires.
1 2 3 4 5
Tech Level: FanT

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Agnostic here.

I'd guess that, in case of an impotent God, an anti-theist would just deem worship useless and a waste of time, since it wouldn't really have any effect on himself and the world.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Crystal Spires wrote:So, if we remove the problem of the existence of evil and declare God to be impotent in the face of evil like we are, why would one be hostile to the idea of a limited theistic God?

Because belief without evidence should be seen with a due amount of skepticism, irregardless of how many philosophical problems one waves away or how impotent and nebulous it is?
Last edited by Avenio on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:15 pm

Monotheistic gods are undoubtedly the worst.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

Crystal Spires
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Crystal Spires » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:19 pm

Well I kind of like some of the Polytheistic Gods because they have character and are funny. They're kind of hilarious and this is not about "evidence" or proofs for or against the existence of a god. This is not about Atheism, which doesn't believe in any gods, but Anti-theists who are hostile to the idea of a God. It's not the existence that is in question, it is about the specific quality of hostility toward the concept of Gods. Since I accept them as fictional characters meant to tell stories I don't have such hostile feelings, so I wonder why specifically anti-theists would given the limited power of Gods in the canonical texts and the portrayal of the gods in their texts. They are most always limited and personified as such.
Last edited by Crystal Spires on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read the Mystria Factbook if you want to Join the region, read the factbook and contact Spires.
1 2 3 4 5

Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:20 pm

I don't object to theism. I'm perfectly happy to acknowledge its existence.

I object to theists attempting to convert me. No matter how subtly it's done. It's not their affair what I choose to believe.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Crystal Spires
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Crystal Spires » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:21 pm

Avenio wrote:Because belief without evidence should be seen with a due amount of skepticism, irregardless of how many philosophical problems one waves away or how impotent and nebulous it is?

The topic is about Anti-theism, not Atheism. I am an Atheist and thus don't think there is evidence at all, but this doesn't merit hostility toward the concept of a God.
1 2 3 4 5

Seitonjin
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Seitonjin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Atheist who indulges in Buddhist, Tao, and Confucian philosophy.

People can become anti-theistic due to the inherent foolishness of having a higher being in the cases I've encountered. As well as the fact that evolution and by extension, the Big Bang nullifies the idea of higher beings completely.

I personally don't like monotheism because it seems silly to think one deity can create the universe, kill thousands, and repeat said killings during the doomsday.

Polytheism is a bit... Logical but then again, what's logical about deities controling humans as chess pieces when it seems clear as day that we plan our own lives?
Seitonjin Jesangkut

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Probably people who spend too much time on the internet and feel the need to assert dominance on every point that isn't any of their fucking business.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Crystal Spires
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Crystal Spires » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:I don't object to theism. I'm perfectly happy to acknowledge its existence.

I object to theists attempting to convert me. No matter how subtly it's done. It's not their affair what I choose to believe.

Well no, but again, the concept of a theistic god is nothing I feel is necessary to be hostile about. As an atheist it is akin to getting mad at a character in a fairy tale. It's pointless to get so riled up and angry about it.
1 2 3 4 5

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:23 pm

Crystal Spires wrote:
Avenio wrote:Because belief without evidence should be seen with a due amount of skepticism, irregardless of how many philosophical problems one waves away or how impotent and nebulous it is?

The topic is about Anti-theism, not Atheism. I am an Atheist and thus don't think there is evidence at all, but this doesn't merit hostility toward the concept of a God.

It may. One could argue that it's rational to be hostile towards something that can be believed without evidence.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:23 pm

Probably because Anti-Theists are intolerant assholes in the same vein as homophobes and misogynists.

You can criticize religious organizations without being a colossal cunt to people who believe for whatever reason.

E: General you, not calling out people on this site in particular.
Last edited by The Steel Magnolia on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:26 pm

The Steel Magnolia wrote:Probably because Anti-Theists are assholes.

Nice "All X are Y". I'm not an Antitheist myself, but care to provide some evidence that all "Anti-Theists are assholes"?
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:26 pm

You make gods sound like a prostate exam.

My objection to theism relates mostly to it being an infantilizing belief.
My humor is like church wine: dry and tasteless.
If you are not sure if I am being serious, assume that I am not.

Summer is coming...

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:26 pm

Crystal Spires wrote:
Tiltjuice wrote:I don't object to theism. I'm perfectly happy to acknowledge its existence.

Well no, but again, the concept of a theistic god is nothing I feel is necessary to be hostile about. As an atheist it is akin to getting mad at a character in a fairy tale. It's pointless to get so riled up and angry about it.

True. It's less strictly pertaining to being hostile about the concept itself, as the people presenting it.

To answer your question more completely, I am like you, unless I perceive religious people trying to convert me. Then I go anti-theistic. If they don't respect my freedom of choice of (non)belief, I see no reason to respect theirs. Silver Rule.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Crystal Spires
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Crystal Spires » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:26 pm

Nationalist State of Knox wrote:It may. One could argue that it's rational to be hostile towards something that can be believed without evidence.

Well not really, emotional mindsets are not particularly rational and they don't need evidence to be felt or had, they just happen as a result of chemical states in the brain, and I don't feel the need to be hostile to someone if they say, are afraid of something that I am not, or feel particularly moved about a movie or TV show. It's not rational, but it's personal, so why should I feel the need to control how a person believes something (with or without evidence)?
1 2 3 4 5

Seitonjin
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Seitonjin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:27 pm

Crystal Spires wrote:

Dominance via evidence.

It's just that. Anti-theists show with fervor that there is no god(s) because they have the evidence to do so.

Basically trying to prove a relatively valid point.
Seitonjin Jesangkut

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:27 pm

Nationalist State of Knox wrote:
The Steel Magnolia wrote:Probably because Anti-Theists are assholes.

Nice "All X are Y". I'm not an Antitheist myself, but care to provide some evidence that all "Anti-Theists are assholes"?

Because it's exactly the same thing as homophobia or misogyny, except biased against religion?

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Seitonjin wrote:
Crystal Spires wrote:

Dominance via evidence.

It's just that. Anti-theists show with fervor that there is no god(s) because they have the evidence to do so.

Basically trying to prove a relatively valid point.

There's no evidence, there's a lack of evidence either which way, and no, that's not the same thing. Burden of proof is still a thing, yes, but it doesn't mean what all y'all think it means.

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:30 pm

The Steel Magnolia wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:Nice "All X are Y". I'm not an Antitheist myself, but care to provide some evidence that all "Anti-Theists are assholes"?

Because it's exactly the same thing as homophobia or misogyny, except biased against religion?

You're right, criticizing a doctrine, and criticizing people for the way they were born are exactly the same. I guess you win this one.

Summer is coming...

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:30 pm

Crystal Spires wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:It may. One could argue that it's rational to be hostile towards something that can be believed without evidence.

Well not really, emotional mindsets are not particularly rational and they don't need evidence to be felt or had, they just happen as a result of chemical states in the brain, and I don't feel the need to be hostile to someone if they say, are afraid of something that I am not, or feel particularly moved about a movie or TV show. It's not rational, but it's personal, so why should I feel the need to control how a person believes something (with or without evidence)?

Emotions exist and can be quantified, unlike god. Also, an Antitheist doesn't necessarily proselytise, it's merely an opposition to the concept of theism, no there is no "control", so-to-speak.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:30 pm

I thought this was clear but I was mistaken. No, not all Anti-Theist people are assholes. Some can be, but not all are.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:31 pm

Crystal Spires wrote:What definitions of God make you uncomfortable and why do you think you feel most uncomfortable with this definition?

I am an Agnostic Atheist, and I have not really understood what makes people so uncomfortable and angry with regards to a the idea of God. I imagined it was with the idea that God was described as Omnipotent by Abrahamic God believers, but most existing Gods (Even the Abrahamic one) in mythology seem to possess limited power. None that I am aware of are omnipotent, as they are either subject and powerless to the will of human beings, or subject and powerless to the other factors in the existence of the universe like other powerful demigods in mythical stories. While I can understand finding specific gods like for example the Greek God Ares, the Mayan God Tlaloc, and the Canaanite God Sabaoth to be distasteful and crude with their promotion of violence, genocide, murder I would not go so far as to be hostile to the idea of a God existing. Not to mention there are other deities like Krishna and Atum-Ra which aren't exactly bloodthirsty Gods which aren't really contemptible and don't generally get viewed as an all powerful etc. So I couldn't really be hostile toward such conceptions of a god. However in order to be anti theist one has to hold these conceptions of God also in contempt to be something despised. While the idea of a malevolent god is not nice and is worthy of contempt in my opinion, the idea of an impotent God doesn't fill me with rage. Nor does the problem of evil weigh down so hard if we consider the possibility of an impotent god.

So, if we remove the problem of the existence of evil and declare God to be impotent in the face of evil like we are, why would one be hostile to the idea of a limited theistic God?

Krishna wasn't bloodthirsty? Spires, you've obviously never read the Mahabharata or Bhagavad Vita.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:32 pm

The Steel Magnolia wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:Nice "All X are Y". I'm not an Antitheist myself, but care to provide some evidence that all "Anti-Theists are assholes"?

Except that religion is a choice, and antitheism acts to criticise religion not just mindlessly attack it like a misogynist would slander women.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:32 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I thought this was clear but I was mistaken. No, not all Anti-Theist people are assholes. Some can be, but not all are.

And some only become assholes when people declare them to be assholes as an opening move.

As an aside: your current flag terrifies me. I am a sad, frightened, little dinosaur.
Last edited by Anachronous Rex on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Summer is coming...

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General