NATION

PASSWORD

The purpose of posting on NSG

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

The purpose of posting on NSG

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:55 am

Continued from another topic...

What is the purpose of posting on NSG? Is it just to waste time? Is there no other purpose than to hit random characters on the keyboard until you find something else to waste time with? Are there any secondary effects to posting on NSG? Or may we as well stare at a wall until it's time to head off to something more interesting in our lives?

Forgive my poor OPs, I've never been particularly good at starting conversations.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 am

I used to think NSG was for intellectual debates, but I get more out of that by watching cat videos than posting in here lately. It becomes a circle-jerk when you have too much people who are like-minded or have otherwise stupid bullshit beliefs like creationism.

What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:01 am

There's a purpose?
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:02 am

Conserative Morality wrote:Continued from another topic...

What is the purpose of posting on NSG? Is it just to waste time? Is there no other purpose than to hit random characters on the keyboard until you find something else to waste time with? Are there any secondary effects to posting on NSG? Or may we as well stare at a wall until it's time to head off to something more interesting in our lives?

Forgive my poor OPs, I've never been particularly good at starting conversations.

Personal amusement
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:02 am

Norstal wrote:I used to think NSG was for intellectual debates, but I get more out of that by watching cat videos than posting in here lately. It becomes a circle-jerk when you have too much people who are like-minded or have otherwise stupid bullshit beliefs like creationism.

Has it really gotten that bad? I mean, sure, I used to argue more when I believed in stupid bullshit, but there's still plenty of good disagreements to found here.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:02 am

Boredom, mostly.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:04 am

I come here to read what some of the smarter posters are posting. I also like to post in some of the threads with topics I enjoy discussing. The community threads are also nice.

Ultimitely it is just a fun usage of time that I have to spare.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:04 am

The discussion itself is the purpose.
But the discussion has other effects which make it a worthwhile purpose.
Entertainment is one of them, but also training the mind and such, and it can educate people on a few random bits of information. If we've altered the way someone has voted at all in an election, then you also have to ask "What's the importance of a single vote?" which is a whole other quagmire.

I'll re-iterate my question posed in the previous thread; do you think if every citizen of a nation devoted some of their time to discuss matters of politics, philosophy, theology, and morality, that the nation would be better off as a result?

If so, is it important to do so even if every citizen does not?
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Slembana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Slembana » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 am

To discuss RL stuff, but also to get posts up a bit. But not doing it in a rule-breaking way.
Last edited by Slembana on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 am

Maklohi Vai wrote:There's a purpose?

Yep, trolling
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:The discussion itself is the purpose.
Entertainment is one of them, but also training the mind and such, and it can educate people on a few random bits of information. If we've altered the way someone has voted at all in an election, then you also have to ask "What's the importance of a single vote?" which is a whole other quagmire.

I'll re-iterate my question posed in the previous thread; do you think if every citizen of a nation devoted some of their time to discuss matters of politics, philosophy, theology, and morality, that the nation would be better off as a result?

I'd say yes to both questions, personally.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:06 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:The discussion itself is the purpose.

I'd say yes to both questions, personally.

I agree.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:06 am

The North Polish Union wrote:
Maklohi Vai wrote:There's a purpose?

Yep, trolling

That will get you banned, so I'm pretty sure that's not the purpose.
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:06 am

I've been thinking the same thing myself lately, actually. It seems to me that many people in NSG just do a lot of research about political topics and current events and just like to debate with others for edification and strengthening of their own virtues. They may also get comfort about being able to converse with other people who have similar, oftentimes radical viewpoints that they must suppress in real life because our society is so center-right and politically correct. It's also probably boredom and lack of goings-on in real life.

I suppose it varies depending on the poster.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:08 am

to have other people validate your opinion and shitpost threads like ''omg post your picture so we can tell you how attractive you are'' and ''god awful chat thread number one thousand and six'' and laugh at shitty jokes made by your cohorts.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:08 am

Maklohi Vai wrote:
The North Polish Union wrote:Yep, trolling

That will get you banned, so I'm pretty sure that's not the purpose.

No, no. I wasn't very clear about that. The purpose is to troll until your almost banned, then wait a few weeks, and then come back. It's pretty much the same in any online forum.
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:08 am

I feel like I spend too much time here.

NS is a pleasure thing for me. Does it really do me any good? No. Hell, it even hinders me by distracting me from other things. However, it temporarily makes me happy while I'm using it. Instant gratification.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:09 am

Because it requires less time and effort than roleplaying, and is a great way to procrastinate.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:09 am

Oterro wrote:to have other people validate your opinion and shitpost threads like ''omg post your picture so we can tell you how attractive you are'' and ''god awful chat thread number one thousand and six'' and laugh at shitty jokes made by your cohorts.

Is it really?
I don't post on NS looking for people to agree with me, i'm looking for the ones who don't. Is that what people do?
Ostro.MOV

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:09 am

The North Polish Union wrote:Yep, trolling

Are you trollnaming yourself?
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:09 am

Oterro wrote:to have other people validate your opinion and shitpost threads like ''omg post your picture so we can tell you how attractive you are'' and ''god awful chat thread number one thousand and six'' and laugh at shitty jokes made by your cohorts.

You've gotten awfully sour ever since your grammar went downhill.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:10 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Norstal wrote:I used to think NSG was for intellectual debates, but I get more out of that by watching cat videos than posting in here lately. It becomes a circle-jerk when you have too much people who are like-minded or have otherwise stupid bullshit beliefs like creationism.

Has it really gotten that bad? I mean, sure, I used to argue more when I believed in stupid bullshit, but there's still plenty of good disagreements to found here.

We used to have posters like TCT, posters who would provide valuable information that makes us more aware. But those posters tend to be ignored, drowned out by others who just goes "NUH-HUH, YOU'RE WRONG." Same goes for ASB, which is probably why he posts rarely now days. Course, TCT was probably here more for the RP and that he's busy. Still, it seems that circle-jerks are more prevalent. It gets especially bad when you see a post making the argument that you want to make.

So, I just go here for personal amusement. For the "lulz" as you'd put it. And yes, I go to 4chan, among other places.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:10 am

Maklohi Vai wrote:That will get you banned, so I'm pretty sure that's not the purpose.

No, no. I wasn't very clear about that. The purpose is to troll until your almost banned, then wait a few weeks, and then come back. It's pretty much the same in any online forum.

You must be joking, or you visit some very strange forums. Not everyone trolls.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:10 am

To discuss and share ideas and viewpoints mostly. Some may do it just for thier own sake, and others do it for the sake of hearing what other people think, to respond and etc.

I personally just like reading what different viewpoints people have and then form an opinion based off of that (i guess i just like discussion).

It has also helped me get more into politics than i previously used to be.
Last edited by Duvniask on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:10 am

Maklohi Vai wrote:That will get you banned, so I'm pretty sure that's not the purpose.

Uh, not really. I'm on a couple other forums, and none of them have this scenario you describe going on.
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General