NATION

PASSWORD

2014 II rper of the year: hub thread

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should we deal with contestants withdrawing?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:16 pm

select a wildcard at random from the 1-nomination group
43%
select a wildcard from the contestants who did not emerge victorious in their previous matchups.
14%
give the opponent of the withdrawingcontestant a bye into the next round
38%
do not allow contestants to withdraw
5%

Total votes : 21

The greater Vakolicci Haven
Senator

Founded: Dec 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:52 am

I am very sorry, however due to unforseen circumstances relating to retrieving suitable rp posts from some participants, I have been forced to postpone each match by precisely 1 day.

I am sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause.
RIP Vakolic, 08/08/2009-29/12/2013, unjustly deleted.
Population: 9.6 billion (to be added to current population of this nation)
Last known defence budget: 82.2 trillion
Last known gdp: $423.2 trillion (nstracker)
For other stats, please tg.
the greater Vakolicci Haven
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:27 pm

Draica wrote:Why am I never selected for RPer of the year?

You failed to receive enough nominations.
Founder of TETism and on/off 18-year NS vet. Call me Chris.
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:53 am

OK, Kyrusia V.s. Vipra is up. Ganos Lao v.s. Souriya al-assad is coming soon.
Last edited by The greater Vakolicci Haven on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:01 pm

Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:11 pm

This is going to be EPIC!

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:25 am

Well, it appears my match will begin some time today. Looking forward to it!
Founder of TETism and on/off 18-year NS vet. Call me Chris.
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

Thoricia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Thoricia » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:43 am

I like how this was rigged so that all the FTers that were nominated were put up against each other in the initial knockout rounds.

Way to be unbiased Vak, I knew having the guy that tried to cheat last year to win would rig the contest this year too his and his buddies advantage.
Ponderosa wrote:I kick you in the face, because I'm angry that I actually wrote out a creative response to the post above, only to find out that you ruined it.

This quote sums up my life.

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:45 am

Thoricia wrote:I like how this was rigged so that all the FTers that were nominated were put up against each other in the initial knockout rounds.

Way to be unbiased Vak, I knew having the guy that tried to cheat last year to win would rig the contest this year too his and his buddies advantage.

If you would like to see the official tournament bracket, I would happily copy and paste it in. But then again, you've got it right at the top.

Who, exactly, have I helped to win by this random draw?
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Delmonte
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:13 am

Thoricia wrote:I like how this was rigged so that all the FTers that were nominated were put up against each other in the initial knockout rounds.

It's... an elimination tournament. The two best people will go against each other eventually. And if he was handing out favorable pairings to his friends I wish I had known. Since yaknow I'm against last year's champion in the first round. So, from my perspective, you are wrong and even if you weren't wrong, which you are, it would be impertinent and irrelevant.

What makes this post even more suspect in my mind is that you had DAYS to complain about the pairings before rounds even began. And yet... You're raising your complaints now, at the end of the first round? Come on.

Explain how these pairings would change the final outcome. Which is all that matters and the only position of significance. Because the second best player could, theoretically get eliminated round one.
Last edited by Delmonte on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
[15:35] <Tag> I have a big, heavy sealed box that I have no idea what is in side of it.
[15:35] <Tag> I can only presume it is treasure.
The Batorys wrote:The Delmontese like money, yeah, but they also like to throw down.

<Delmonte> I don't mean literally kill their family. I mean kill their metaphorical family.
<Delmonte> Metaphorically kill their metaphorical family.
Code: Select all
 [b][color=#0000FF][background=red]United in Opposition to [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?t=303025]Liberate Haven[/url][/background][/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000][b]Mallorea and Riva should [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303090]resign[/url][/b][/color]

The man from Delmonte says yes.

Thoricia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thoricia » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:25 am

Delmonte wrote:

It's... an elimination tournament. The two best people will go against each other eventually. And if he was handing out favorable pairings to his friends I wish I had known. Since yaknow I'm against last year's champion in the first round. So, from my perspective, you are wrong and even if you weren't wrong, which you are, it would be impertinent and irrelevant.

Oh look Delmonte jumping to Vak's defense, big surprise there especially since you're the same guy that's mounted a smear campaign against the FTers nominated http://pastebin.com/nvVtSDJC. And with FTers stacked against each other in the opening rounds there are going to be less of them in the later rounds since you know, they were matched against each other in the opening. Also Kyle won last year not Azura.
Ponderosa wrote:I kick you in the face, because I'm angry that I actually wrote out a creative response to the post above, only to find out that you ruined it.

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:28 am

Thoricia wrote:
Delmonte wrote:It's... an elimination tournament. The two best people will go against each other eventually. And if he was handing out favorable pairings to his friends I wish I had known. Since yaknow I'm against last year's champion in the first round. So, from my perspective, you are wrong and even if you weren't wrong, which you are, it would be impertinent and irrelevant.

Oh look Delmonte jumping to Vak's defense, big surprise there especially since you're the same guy that's mounted a smear campaign against the FTers nominated http://pastebin.com/nvVtSDJC. And with FTers stacked against each other in the opening rounds there are going to be less of them in the later rounds since you know, they were matched against each other in the opening. Also Kyle won last year not Azura.

Wait... what's that at the bottom of the log? So is this evidence of the attempt on the part of FTers to all vote for Kyrusia just to spite me? If you stipulate the authenticity of this log, which you do given that you posted it, wouldn't that mean that... The FTers, nominally Kyrusia, are trying to rig it? That's what the log says.
[15:35] <Tag> I have a big, heavy sealed box that I have no idea what is in side of it.
The Batorys wrote:The Delmontese like money, yeah, but they also like to throw down.

<Delmonte> I don't mean literally kill their family. I mean kill their metaphorical family.
 [b][color=#0000FF][background=red]United in Opposition to [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?t=303025]Liberate Haven[/url][/background][/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000][b]Mallorea and Riva should [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303090]resign[/url][/b][/color]

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:30 am

The rules of the contest fairly clearly, I should say, ban th very behavior that Thoricia has, generously, brought to light. Irc conversations cannot be used as evidence in Moderation. But this isn't Moderation. Perhaps action should be taken to discourage such behavior going forward?

Thoricia posted that log, after all, not me.

Thoricia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thoricia » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:39 am

Delmonte wrote:The rules of the contest fairly clearly, I should say, ban th very behavior that Thoricia has, generously, brought to light. Irc conversations cannot be used as evidence in Moderation. But this isn't Moderation. Perhaps action should be taken to discourage such behavior going forward?

Oh please, you and Vak have set up the same thing just like Vak tried to last year when he got booted from the contest, this entire contest has been rigged so either Delmonte or Vak will win and as such I'm going to discourage anyone from participating due to it's taint, good day.

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:45 am

Thoricia wrote:
Delmonte wrote:The rules of the contest fairly clearly, I should say, ban th very behavior that Thoricia has, generously, brought to light. Irc conversations cannot be used as evidence in Moderation. But this isn't Moderation. Perhaps action should be taken to discourage such behavior going forward?

Oh please, you and Vak have set up the same thing just like Vak tried to last year when he got booted from the contest, this entire contest has been rigged so either Delmonte or Vak will win and as such I'm going to discourage anyone from participating due to it's taint, good day.

Well, you were so generous with your evidence against Kyrusia. And you've literally admitted it just now. So presumably you have evidence to back up your accusations? Why object now, anyway? What's changed from the start of the contest to now? Aside from you accidentally proving the guilt of your friends in trying to rig the tournament?

I'm here to see who is the best RPer. I think I might have a shot. But now I know an entire bloc of people are braced explicitly to make sure I don't win. Which ruins the contest for everyone. And I don't want that. If kyrusia and his ilk want me to lose so badly, as you've proven and admitted to, I can just step down from the nomination. Just promise me that if I let you win you'll leave the contest alone and not rig it so that everyone else can enjoy it. That's a trade I'm totally willing to make.

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:50 am

If I wanted Delmonte to win, I would have messed with the draw so he didn't get dragged out against New Azura.

I was only nominated by 2 people, and I don't think I can win. If I beat Asigna, which is by no means guaranteed, I will probably face a far better rper than myself.

Your accusations, good Sir, are baseless, libalous and completely invalid.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:57 am

Thoricia wrote:

By 'booted out,' do you mean 'beaten by NB, who I will admit is a better writer than I am?' Because that's certainly what happened.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:15 am

The greater Vakolicci Haven wrote:
Thoricia wrote:

By 'booted out,' do you mean 'beaten by NB, who I will admit is a better writer than I am?' Because that's certainly what happened.

If the log Thoricia posted is accurate, it concerns me. I hold a great deal of respect for Mentors and it comes as a shock to me that one of them would try to rig the contest in their favor. And that other prominent players were so entertained by it. It's really worrying. That is, if the log is accurate.
Last edited by Delmonte on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aeyariss
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aeyariss » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:18 am

Perhaps Thoricia should organize this event next year.
Last edited by Aeyariss on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:21 am

Perhaps people should vote for who has done the best work in the calendar year in question, and keep the focus on that.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:21 am

Delmonte wrote:If the log Thoricia posted is accurate, it concerns me. I hold a great deal of respect for Mentors and it comes as a shock to me that one of them would try to rig the contest in their favor. And that other prominent players, such as Tiami in particular, were so entertained by it. It's really worrying. That is, if the log is accurate.

As the guy who brought it up (and really shouldn't have, if it's being used as ammo in this way), I feel I should say it wasn't particularly serious. Kyrusia himself wasn't even on when he became Sanc's "nominated winner", so he wasn't involved. In any case, he's been eliminated already so nothing came of that.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:23 am

Aeyariss wrote:Perhaps Thoricia should organize this event next year.

Yes. Given that his complaint in his last post was LITERALLY "You rigged it better than we did! Not fair." Even though literally ALL the evidence points to them rigging it and Vakolic just running a clean contest. It's surreal.

Maltropia wrote:
Delmonte wrote:If the log Thoricia posted is accurate, it concerns me. I hold a great deal of respect for Mentors and it comes as a shock to me that one of them would try to rig the contest in their favor. And that other prominent players, such as Tiami in particular, were so entertained by it. It's really worrying. That is, if the log is accurate.

As the guy who brought it up (and really shouldn't have, if it's being used as ammo in this way), I feel I should say it wasn't particularly serious. Kyrusia himself wasn't even on when he became Sanc's "nominated winner", so he wasn't involved. In any case, he's been eliminated already so nothing came of that.

You mean the corruption and rigging that you were complicit in wasn't successful so who cares? How many more mentors knew of this and did nothing? How many more logs will surface? Why even have an RPing contest, Maltropia, if we can't trust our community's Mentors to promote fair play?

Why didn't you tell someone? Why do nothing?

Thank you for, at least, being kind enough to verify the logs, the rigging, the conspiracy, your involvement, and that of everyone else in the log.

And really? You're sorry just because it was used as ammunition? I was hoping you would be sorry because it was wrong. Because you gave tacit consent to something that was bad and was attempting to ruin this contest for everyone by rigging it. Why not be sorry for that? Not just because it wound up being used as evidence of wrongdoing.

Ghant wrote:Perhaps people should vote for who has done the best work in the calendar year in question, and keep the focus on that.

That's what we were trying to do. It's a shame that a couple bad apples can spoil the bunch. However, on the bright side (as Maltropia, who was there from the conspiracy's inception by his own admission, pointed out), they did lose. So perhaps this is the mark of a turning point in NationStates where activities such as those engaged in by Kyrusia, people in #Sanc, Vocenae, and with Maltropia's tacit consent will no longer pay. There's a silver lining in the back of the storm cloud.

I'm not going to engage this any further. The evidence is there, in black and white, in the log that Thoricia provided, in the post where Thoricia admitted to the whole thing, and in Maltropia's post where he did likewise. I can't do any more.
Last edited by Delmonte on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:41 am, edited 5 times in total.

Yalos
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yalos » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:41 am

Right. I had no idea that GWO, Lanos, Tuthina and Delmonte wrre FTers, because the're all facing known FTers themselves.

As far as I can tell, there were actually only two FT matchups. Perhaps I need to check again.

Look--I'm not excited that Vipra and Kyrusia were put against each other (they're both awesome, and voting was nigh impossible), or that Kyrusia lost (I voted for him, after all), but what you've said is an unbased accusation that is likely to be divisive. Why?

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:48 am

Delmonte wrote:You mean the corruption and rigging that you were complicit in wasn't successful so who cares? How many more mentors knew of this and did nothing? How many more logs will surface? Why even have an RPing contest, Maltropia, if we can't trust our community's Mentors to promote fair play?

Thank you for, at least, being kind enough to verify the logs, the rigging, the conspiracy, your involvement, and that of everyone else in the log.

For all of three minutes about 5 people in Sanc decided they all wanted to nominate the same few people, purely because you had the most nominations and those particular people don't like you. I mentioned this in NSMentors. Was I complicit? No. Do I want to rig the competition? No. Did I, at any point, want to rig this competition such that anyone undeserving of winning it might win it? No. Stop trying to make this out to be more than it is. The only Mentor in there who you can even remotely try to accuse is me, and I would have thought you would know me better than that. Look, right at the end, there's Feaz saying "who cares" and liking your writing. I like your writing. I'm not in this for the corruption. I had enough of that in my school's debating society.

Why didn't I tell someone? I did, look. There's a log. There's an official NationStates Moderator in that channel. If I genuinely believed some harm would have come out of the guys in Sanc being the guys in Sanc I would have done something. I guess I'm an idiot for not foreseeing that people would do whatever they can to politicise the most politicised thing in II, but I didn't because I thought that what went on in IRC would go no further than IRC. And it didn't; Kyrusia didn't win by a landslide of #Sanc, you're still in the competition, everything was going fine.

Until this log turned up. And now look where we are.

Half (or all, I don't know) of Sondria seems convinced that the II-luminati are pulling Vakolic's strings. You've just accused everyone in #NSMentors of complicity even though the log says it was #Sanc. After that log? Conversation moves on. No one gives it a second thought. People comment on other nominees. In Sanc's logs? People talk about screen readers and strings of consonants. Then conversation moves on to a particularly moronic recruit in Alfegos' base. There's no conspiracy, there's no rigging, there's no involvement. Can we just pretend we're all mature and get on with the competition now?
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

The Black Plains
Senator

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:56 am

Maltropia wrote:
Delmonte wrote:You mean the corruption and rigging that you were complicit in wasn't successful so who cares? How many more mentors knew of this and did nothing? How many more logs will surface? Why even have an RPing contest, Maltropia, if we can't trust our community's Mentors to promote fair play?

Why didn't I tell someone? I did, look.

You've admitted that you knew of this attempt to rig the contest in a fellow Mentor's favor. Now, the question is: Did you report it to the proper authorities, i.e. either Jenrak or Vakolic.

Vakolic, what was the first that you heard of this attempt to rig the contest that was under your stewardship?

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:58 am

The Black Plains wrote:You've admitted that you knew of this attempt to rig the contest in a fellow Mentor's favor. Now, the question is: Did you report it to the proper authorities, i.e. either Jenrak or Vakolic.

To what mentor do you refer? Kyrusia wasn't a Mentor when that conversation took place, and I'd forgotten about it until it was brought up in a PM on IRC earlier today.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents