NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Morthyria
Envoy

Founded: May 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Morthyria » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:26 am

At the moment we have an army of 91 million men.
Ranked top 5% most authoritarian nations. HELL YEAH! Also we are not an Islamist/Jihadist nation (which may be shocking to some).
Morthyria civil war: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=325908&p=23011974#p23011974

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:32 am

Presumably, that's 65% within a certain age range -- usually the same age range as your labor force --, meaning that it cuts your labor force by over six-tenths. Economically, you'd be extremely weak (poorer than, say, Zimbabwe, scaled to the size of your pop.); military-wise, that translates to low-training and low-quality weaponry.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Morthyria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Morthyria » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:34 am

The Macabees wrote:Presumably, that's 65% within a certain age range -- usually the same age range as your labor force --, meaning that it cuts your labor force by over six-tenths. Economically, you'd be extremely weak (poorer than, say, Zimbabwe, scaled to the size of your pop.); military-wise, that translates to low-training and low-quality weaponry.

Also 50% of our budget goes to military roughly don't believe the official figures they are false.
Ranked top 5% most authoritarian nations. HELL YEAH! Also we are not an Islamist/Jihadist nation (which may be shocking to some).

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:35 am

Morthyria wrote:We are an ultra militarized nation.

but, you do need to factor in the people that are too old or too young to join the military. So out of 140 people (1 person=1 million) 14 are below 18 years and 20 are over 50 years, so now only 106 people are left. Then factor in people with diseases or other crippling injuries that make them unfit for combat and other military roles. That is about 15 people. bringing the number down to 91. It still may seem like a lot but it is now 65%. And it can still lower. If your nation is ultra militarized, then you need to factor in the amount of people that are in non-combat roles in the military. These are the people who will not even see combat. According to US statistics, that is around 10% of the military (which I am going to assume is the remaining amount of people), so about 10 people out of 140 will serve in the active armed forces. This is about 7%.

So in all, 65% is technically allowed in the military, but a maximum of 7% would be anywhere near plausible to use in combat. The numbers I used are from American statistics, and I was being very lenient with the numbers. Since I did not even include people with jobs outside the military. But, as you can see, to have a functioning society, percentages need to remain quite lower than we would like
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Morthyria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Morthyria » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:36 am

Rhodevus wrote:
Morthyria wrote:We are an ultra militarized nation.

but, you do need to factor in the people that are too old or too young to join the military. So out of 140 people (1 person=1 million) 14 are below 18 years and 20 are over 50 years, so now only 106 people are left. Then factor in people with diseases or other crippling injuries that make them unfit for combat and other military roles. That is about 15 people. bringing the number down to 91. It still may seem like a lot but it is now 65%. And it can still lower. If your nation is ultra militarized, then you need to factor in the amount of people that are in non-combat roles in the military. These are the people who will not even see combat. According to US statistics, that is around 10% of the military (which I am going to assume is the remaining amount of people), so about 10 people out of 140 will serve in the active armed forces. This is about 7%.

So in all, 65% is technically allowed in the military, but a maximum of 7% would be anywhere near plausible to use in combat. The numbers I used are from American statistics, and I was being very lenient with the numbers. Since I did not even include people with jobs outside the military. But, as you can see, to have a functioning society, percentages need to remain quite lower than we would like

Oh this figure of 65% includes reserves 5% works full time the other 60% are reserves.

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:42 am

Morthyria wrote:
Rhodevus wrote:

Oh this figure of 65% includes reserves 5% works full time the other 60% are reserves.

you should have lead with that. Reserves are usually allowed to be big, since most people are allowed to be reserves if there is conscription involved. So then, yes. I think it is fine if only 5% is your main force
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:47 am

Morthyria wrote:Also 50% of our budget goes to military roughly don't believe the official figures they are false.

Keep in mind that your budget will still be small if you've got so many people in your military. If they're not earning money, you can't really tax them and your government isn't going to be able to secure loans. It's usually not worth sacrificing that much of your labour force since the extra manpower isn't really a gain over the loss of funding.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Morthyria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Morthyria » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:48 am

Maltropia wrote:
Morthyria wrote:Also 50% of our budget goes to military roughly don't believe the official figures they are false.

Keep in mind that your budget will still be small if you've got so many people in your military. If they're not earning money, you can't really tax them and your government isn't going to be able to secure loans. It's usually not worth sacrificing that much of your labour force since the extra manpower isn't really a gain over the loss of funding.

Only 5% work full time in the military.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:59 am

I went by the figure you gave us.

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:01 am

Without an adequate labor force you can't produce the national product you'll need to sell in return for the military equipment and training you'll need for your army. Furthermore, you won't be able to produce the basic consumer items your people need to survive, meaning your society would be highly impoverished and susceptible to things like famine and widespread disease.

Edit: And there's a trade-off to large militaries during wartime, as well. Generally speaking, huge mobilizations that take up >8% of your labor force should be last resorts, because you're surrendering your productivity -- it's basically a signal that you're about to lose the war (because you're going to end up losing it if that last effort doesn't pan out, since you won't have the production to support a continued war effort).
Last edited by The Macabees on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morthyria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Morthyria » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:05 am

The Macabees wrote:Without an adequate labor force you can't produce the national product you'll need to sell in return for the military equipment and training you'll need for your army. Furthermore, you won't be able to produce the basic consumer items your people need to survive, meaning your society would be highly impoverished and susceptible to things like famine and widespread disease.

Edit: And there's a trade-off to large militaries during wartime, as well. Generally speaking, huge mobilizations that take up >8% of your labor force should be last resorts, because you're surrendering your productivity -- it's basically a signal that you're about to lose the war (because you're going to end up losing it if that last effort doesn't pan out, since you won't have the production to support a continued war effort).

Also 10% of that 65% figure works in military related industries.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:11 am

Morthyria wrote:Also 10% of that 65% figure works in military related industries.

A good rule of thumb is that military-related industries produce large economic inefficiencies. The ends these productive capacities serve are almost never the ends that would be served if production were organized by the highest-ranked values. War industries are extractive in that the cost is partly externalized to society as a whole, in the sense that there's an opportunity cost that implies a net loss of future social wealth. This "rule of thumb" gets greyer when we're talking about military industries mainly for export, because in that case the industry is participating in the extraction of wealth from the importing country.
Last edited by The Macabees on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crosshill
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Crosshill » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:16 am

I have a small question on wars in nation states. Are there any general rules which apply to wars in nation states? I don’t mean all that no godmodding stuff. But let’s say we have a modern tech scenario, are there any rules or regulations at all? There are some in the World Assembly which forbid general conscription, regulate the treatment of corpses and the use of landmines or WMDs. Than there are regulations for POWs but other than that there are only very few regulations regarding armed conflict. Malice for example or the deployment of unmarked soldiers. The deliberate targeting of population centres and so on. Is it generally assumed that the real life regulations on war are valid by default or is there no law when there is no law in naionstates?

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:42 am

Crosshill wrote:I have a small question on wars in nation states. Are there any general rules which apply to wars in nation states? I don’t mean all that no godmodding stuff. But let’s say we have a modern tech scenario, are there any rules or regulations at all? There are some in the World Assembly which forbid general conscription, regulate the treatment of corpses and the use of landmines or WMDs. Than there are regulations for POWs but other than that there are only very few regulations regarding armed conflict. Malice for example or the deployment of unmarked soldiers. The deliberate targeting of population centres and so on. Is it generally assumed that the real life regulations on war are valid by default or is there no law when there is no law in naionstates?

Binding rules are hard to enforce. Plus, different RPs call for different rules, depending on the preferences of the players involved. Generally speaking, the thread creator is the ultimate rule-maker.

You can also try to create some type of agreement which other nations could sign, which regulate the different things you discuss (treatment of POWs,...). But, the only way to enforce these rules is either if the other player just accepts them or by going to war with them -- even then, no player is necessarily forced to RP with whoever attacks them. We have to freedom to pick and choose the players we interact with.

Morthyria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Morthyria » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Do I have to obey the NStracker?

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:13 pm

Morthyria wrote:Do I have to obey the NStracker?

You don't; it's just an independent tool.

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:38 pm

Morthyria wrote:Do I have to obey the NStracker?

No. You don't even have to obey your Nation's main page by any means. Many who want to maintain realism try to maintain below 2-3 Billion people, if not less than 1 Billion for population. However, if you have a small population on your main page and try to roleplay as a massive nation, you probably won't be taken seriously (you'll be seen as a newbie)

NS issues are not at all realistic, nor are their outcomes. If you want to roleplay as a realistic MT nation, then you can't abide by the "genetically augmented supersoldier" issue, so on and so forth.

Keep in mind that even of those 5% of your population you have as military, you also only have roughly 10-25% of those being active combatants. It takes a lot of people to maintain a military, and it takes a lot of support roles to maintain the combatants. Now, many of the remaining 75%-90% will still deploy, they just won't be "combatants."

What may be far more realistic is to have 65% of your population as a "Militia." I wouldn't expect you to be able to sustain more than an additional 5-15% as deployable Reserves, but it is far more reasonable to have a wide amount of your population marginally trained in combat, perhaps as part of a post-High School program, and every citizen issued a weapon. This helps protect your nation in the event of an invasion; your entire population can become an effective insurgency.
Last edited by Pharthan on Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

Cologene
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cologene » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:39 am

Hello!

I do have a question, well more looking for help. I want to do a roleplay involving a map, but I would like to know what is best thing to use to edit a map or make one for free.

Geanna
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Geanna » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:41 am

Cologene wrote:Hello!

I do have a question, well more looking for help. I want to do a roleplay involving a map, but I would like to know what is best thing to use to edit a map or make one for free.

You can make one in simple Paint, You could also do one using Paint.net or GIMP - Both are free software but are a bit more complicated, Paint.net is easier to use than GIMP but GIMP provides the best results.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

"We dance on the lines of our destruction and continuation, to waltz and achieve the happiness of our existence, and to be the laughter in a world of silence."

Diaxia
Civilian

Founded: Sep 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Diaxia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:15 pm

So I'm new to all of this...
What brought me here was interest in future RP. I've seen lots of posts where people show off spaceships and extremely advanced tech, but I'm afraid of getting banned or something for mistagging a future post, or any other unobvious rule violation.

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:03 pm

Jenrak and other players have compiled a plethora of guides that are dedicated to helping new RPers develop and hone their skills as writers (which are stickied at the top of the International Incidents forum). As long as you write/post within respectable parameters (nothing violating NS's PG-13 code), then you cannot been banned for a post.
Last edited by Tiami on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of TETism and 18-year NS vet
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:06 pm

Just to follow up on Tiami, here's the Jenrak guide he's referring to. Also, there's an FT assistance thread.
Last edited by The Macabees on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Draica
Senator

Founded: Feb 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Draica » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:07 pm

Could the monarch in an absoloulte monarchy launch an operation against terrorists?
Draica is a Federal Republic nation ran by conservatives and Libertarians! If you ever wanna rp a state visit, a war, a debate with one of my leaders or a conservative/libertarian philosopher, or just wanna tg me in general(I like TGs) drop me a TG!
Allies: Pantorrum, Korgenstin, Zebraltar, Kiribati-Tarawa, Democratic Sabha. Idoa, Allaena, Lledia.
Enemies: Arkania 5, any communist nation, Drakorvanyia.
Wars:

The Draican-Arkanian war: On-going

The Waldensian-Draican-Kiribati Cold War: Won. Dissolution of Communist Government in Waldensia

The Draican-Die erworbenen Namen war: Draica successfully defended, retaliation called off.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 pm

Draica wrote:Could the monarch in an absoloulte monarchy launch an operation against terrorists?

If the monarch has the power to do so, why not?

The Caucasus Emirate (Ancient)
Attaché

Founded: Aug 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Caucasus Emirate (Ancient) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:58 am

If RPIng a civil war type of thread and youre also RPing the opposition (e.g Russia) is it okay if I determine the Russian losses alongside the Chechen losses?
This account is under new manegement from eldest brother because main owner went to fight with the IS. No, I do not support the IS

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents