NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Chamber [NSG Senate]

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Treorai
Senator

Founded: Jul 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Treorai » Sat May 18, 2013 3:02 pm

CURRENT QUEUE FOR LEGISLATION

1. Senate Limitation Act
2. National Bill of Rights Act
3. Electricity Production Act
4. Governmental Subdivision Act
5. Agricultural Rights Act
6. Modified Healthcare Act
7. National Extraterrestrial Act
8. National Firearms Act
9. Small Business Assistance Act
10. Public Education Act
11. Castamere/Cardassia Act of Entertainment Quality Assurance
12. Financial Act
13. Child Labor Restriction Act

After the Limiting Legislation Act, The Civil Treatment Act, Sexual Industry Regulation Act and The Anti-Slavery Act have been combined into an omnibus, I have dubbed it the National Bill of Rights Act. Any other things that need to be added, please bring them to my attention (and include a link, please).
GOD-KING OF ABRASIVENESS

Dumb Ideologies wrote:It's a situation intrinsic to the committed ideologue. Whenever one makes a counter-argument the goalposts seem not only to move in two dimensions but also float several hundred thousand miles above the pitch whilst wearing cast-iron earplugs.

Rainbows and Rivers wrote:Dictators blaming America for all their problems? That's new.

Caninope wrote:If I think in my mind that the book sitting in front of me is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when it is in fact Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, 11th Edition, then it doesn't make me any more objectively correct.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat May 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Greater Pokarnia wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
This seems acceptable

Yeah, I would support making non-defensive wars a matter to be voted on by the people.

As would I.

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Greater Pokarnia wrote:
I think we'd have to draft a bill for that.

I'll draft the bill; it will also include other scenarios which demand a national referendum to be held.

EDIT: On second thought, I don't know how we would RP a national referendum.

Maybe first hold a vote of the Senators (since we are theoretically representing the population) and throw the numbers into a statistics generator and see what it gives us.

Sounds good.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Yanalia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Sat May 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Yanalia wrote:
Yanalia wrote:I move to add the Energy for the Future Act to the queue.

Energy for the Future Act
Drafted By: Venaleria [RG], Yanalia [RG]
Sponsors: Shrillland [RG], Fulflood [LD], Polvia [RG], Hathradic States [NI], The Zeonic States [NI]

RECOGNIZING the sincere importance of energy as a source of power and production;
FURTHER RECOGNIZING the need for the Senate to improve energy efficiency
BELIEVING further improvement can be made to the use of energy
ESTABLISHING that many forms of energy are not suitable for the overall welfare of our environment and community health;
SEEKING the revitalization of how we, as a government, control the usage of everyday energy in its physical form;
REALIZING that there is no exact perfect energy source in our current time

DEFINES the following terms:
Energy – The power or strength required for maintaining and refining a population’s needs
Fossil Fuel (Non-reusable Resource) - A natural element or fuel formed in the deep geological past through the dead remains of previously living organisms. It can be used for the production of energy but is not able to be recreated and deteriorates in populous as more is used for the aforesaid energy production. Examples include forms of coal, natural gas, or petroleum.
Renewable Energy - A source of energy which is capable of being conveniently reproduced to suit the needs of a population. Examples include forms of wind-energy, solar-energy, and hydroelectric-energy. Nuclear energy is not part of this definition.
Fission Energy - A source of energy which is created by splitting the nuclei of large atoms into smaller nuclei.
Fusion Energy - A source of energy which is created through the fusion of two light atoms into one heavy atom.

The government hereby enacts the following:
1. The Renewable Energy Agency shall be created within the Ministry of Energy to oversee the nation's transition to more sustainable energy sources.
2. The REA shall purchase power from renewable energy businesses who will be carefully selected by competition.
3. The REA shall set seven-year plans for renewable power. These will set national targets for renewable energy production by percentage of total produced power, with the goal of eventual reliance entirely on renewable energy.
4. The REA shall also sponsor government-run renewable energy production. Workers from the fossil fuel and nuclear industries losing their jobs due to the goals of the seven-year plans will be preferred for employment at these facilities and provided necessary training.
5. The Nuclear Energy Agency shall be created within the Ministry of Energy to oversee the nation's use of nuclear power.
6. The NEA shall direct the nation's immediate transition of all fossil fuel power to nuclear fission as quickly as possible. The deadline for the elimination of fossil fuel power shall be the year 2034.
7. The NEA shall cooperate with the REA to transition nuclear power into reusable energy as the seven-year plans dictate.
8. The NEA will oversee a program by the government to develop a fusion reactor. The reactor will be complete by 2037.
9. The NEA shall also sponsor government-run nuclear energy production. Workers from the fossil fuel industry losing their jobs due to the elimination of fossil fuels will be preferred for employment at these facilities and provided the necessary training.

Treorai, this got its five a few pages back.

This.
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

The Treorai
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Treorai » Sat May 18, 2013 3:05 pm

GOD-KING OF ABRASIVENESS

Dumb Ideologies wrote:It's a situation intrinsic to the committed ideologue. Whenever one makes a counter-argument the goalposts seem not only to move in two dimensions but also float several hundred thousand miles above the pitch whilst wearing cast-iron earplugs.

Rainbows and Rivers wrote:Dictators blaming America for all their problems? That's new.

Caninope wrote:If I think in my mind that the book sitting in front of me is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when it is in fact Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, 11th Edition, then it doesn't make me any more objectively correct.

The Treorai
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Treorai » Sat May 18, 2013 3:08 pm

GOD-KING OF ABRASIVENESS

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Sat May 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:At the end of the day conscription is the only way to insure that the military isn't just made up of the poor, and makes the ruling class less willing to support wars, as they would be directly affected by it.

Or, we could avoid this by putting in constitutional ammendment saying any non-defensive wars requires national referendum?

The general population can make knee jerk reactions to crisises; see, for instance, the invasion of Afghanistan after 9/11. The people were angry, and at the time supported invading Afghanistan, a choice everyone came to regret. At the very least, if you're going to have a referendum, give the President a veto.
Call me what you will. Some people prefer 'Idiot'
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sat May 18, 2013 3:11 pm

Priory Academy USSR wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Or, we could avoid this by putting in constitutional ammendment saying any non-defensive wars requires national referendum?

The general population can make knee jerk reactions to crisises; see, for instance, the invasion of Afghanistan after 9/11. The people were angry, and at the time supported invading Afghanistan, a choice everyone came to regret. At the very least, if you're going to have a referendum, give the President a veto.

For there to be a referendum, government would need to pass bill for referendum through senate thereby giving us effective veto before referendum.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Sat May 18, 2013 3:12 pm

What if its a war to defend an ally we swore to protect? Its a little rediculous to have to wait for a referendum on that.
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

The Grumpy Cat wrote:Their very existence... makes me sick.
After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
Senator Willem de Ruyter of the Civic Reform Party

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Sat May 18, 2013 3:13 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

For there to be a referendum, government would need to pass bill for referendum through senate thereby giving us effective veto before referendum.

That solves that problem, then.
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Sat May 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Byzantium Imperial wrote:What if its a war to defend an ally we swore to protect? Its a little rediculous to have to wait for a referendum on that.

We're talking about non-defensive wars. Presumably, wars where we aid allies would count as defensive.
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sat May 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Byzantium Imperial wrote:What if its a war to defend an ally we swore to protect? Its a little rediculous to have to wait for a referendum on that.

How so?
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sat May 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Covered under defensive war act provided we are acting to defend ally's territorial integrity.

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Sat May 18, 2013 3:20 pm

We're talking about non-defensive wars. Presumably, wars where we aid allies would count as defensive.

That should probably be clarified.
It would look very bad id we pledge to defend another nation, and it takes 2 weeks for us to pledge our support due to the time constraints of a national vote. It would be even worse for our image if we had to betray our treaties due to a no vote.
We are technically the elected officials of the country, and as such are required to do what is in the countries best interests. In matters which require immediete action (war), the people simply have ti trust us. They voted us in (or are ideally supposed to)
Last edited by Byzantium Imperial on Sat May 18, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!

Britcan
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Britcan » Sat May 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Could these please be added to the queue:
Sale of Harmful Substances Act (2013)
Urgency: Moderate

Drafted by: Britcan [TR]
Co-sponsored by: Greater Pokarnia [C], Hathradic States [NIFP], Kamchastkia [USLP], Geilinor [LD], Silent Majority [C]

I) Sets the following restrictions on the consumption, purchase and possession of alcoholic beverages:
a) Below the age of 12 minors are not permitted to consume alcohol for non-medical purposes.
b) At the age of 12 minors are permitted to consume and possess, but not purchase, undistilled (fermented) alcoholic beverages, such as beer and wine, as long as they are in the company of their parents or a legal guardian.
c) At 16 the age of minors are permitted to consume, purchase and possess undistilled (fermented) alcoholic beverages, such as beer and wine without their parents or a legal guardian.
d) At the age of 18, having become adults, people are permitted to consume, purchase and posses distilled liquor.

II) Creates the following categories for drugs and requires the Ministry of Health to sort known drugs into classes D, C, B, A and X with D being safe for consumption, C being moderately dangerous, B being significantly dangerous, A being highly dangerous and X being lethal for human consumption even in small quantities.

III) Sets the following restrictions on the consumption, purchase and possession of drugs:
a) All persons are permitted to consume, purchase and posses drugs in Class D.
b) Only persons of at least 18 years of age are permitted to consume, purchase and posses drugs in Classes C and B, excluding cases described in clause III, section f.
c) Only persons of at least 21 years of age are permitted to consume, purchase and posses drugs in Class A, excluding cases described in clause III, section f.
d) Drugs in class X are completely outlawed.
e) Drugs in categories C, B and A may only be consumed on private property with the owners consent. Persons who require the drugs for medical purposes are exempt from this regulation.
f) Any persons who have a medical condition requiring the use of a drugs in categories C, B and A is permitted to consume, purchase and posses drugs necessary for their treatment.

IV) This bill does not prevent the outlawing of individual drugs in future legislation but sets these restrictions on those drugs that are not outlawed.

National Symbols Act: Amendment I
Urgency: Low

Sponsored by: Celritannia [Independent], Geilinor [LD], Hathradic States [NIFP], The Treorai [CFE]

HEREBY amends the National Symbols Act to included the following clauses:

NATIONAL BIRD shall be the Great Tit (Parus major).
NATIONAL MAMMAL shall be the Red Deer (Cervus elaphus).
NATIONAL FISH shall be the Seahorse (Hippocampus hippocampus).
NATIONAL REPTILE shall be the Common European Adder (Vipera berus).
NATIONAL SUMMER SPORT shall be Association Football.
NATIONAL WINTER SPORT shall be Ice Hockey.
FLORAL EMBLEM shall be the Bay Laurel (Laurus nobilis).
[/quote]

This nation should not be taken to be representative of my real-life views, nor should any of the nonsense I posted on here as a teenager.

The Treorai
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Treorai » Sat May 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Britcan wrote:Could these please be added to the queue:
Sale of Harmful Substances Act (2013)
Urgency: Moderate

Co-sponsored by: Greater Pokarnia [C], Hathradic States [NIFP], Kamchastkia [USLP], Geilinor [LD], Silent Majority [C]

I) Sets the following restrictions on the consumption, purchase and possession of alcoholic beverages:
a) Below the age of 12 minors are not permitted to consume alcohol for non-medical purposes.
b) At the age of 12 minors are permitted to consume and possess, but not purchase, undistilled (fermented) alcoholic beverages, such as beer and wine, as long as they are in the company of their parents or a legal guardian.
c) At 16 the age of minors are permitted to consume, purchase and possess undistilled (fermented) alcoholic beverages, such as beer and wine without their parents or a legal guardian.
d) At the age of 18, having become adults, people are permitted to consume, purchase and posses distilled liquor.

II) Creates the following categories for drugs and requires the Ministry of Health to sort known drugs into classes D, C, B, A and X with D being safe for consumption, C being moderately dangerous, B being significantly dangerous, A being highly dangerous and X being lethal for human consumption even in small quantities.

III) Sets the following restrictions on the consumption, purchase and possession of drugs:
a) All persons are permitted to consume, purchase and posses drugs in Class D.
b) Only persons of at least 18 years of age are permitted to consume, purchase and posses drugs in Classes C and B, excluding cases described in clause III, section f.
c) Only persons of at least 21 years of age are permitted to consume, purchase and posses drugs in Class A, excluding cases described in clause III, section f.
d) Drugs in class X are completely outlawed.
e) Drugs in categories C, B and A may only be consumed on private property with the owners consent. Persons who require the drugs for medical purposes are exempt from this regulation.
f) Any persons who have a medical condition requiring the use of a drugs in categories C, B and A is permitted to consume, purchase and posses drugs necessary for their treatment.

IV) This bill does not prevent the outlawing of individual drugs in future legislation but sets these restrictions on those drugs that are not outlawed.

National Symbols Act: Amendment I
Urgency: Low

Sponsored by: Celritannia [Independent], Geilinor [LD], Hathradic States [NIFP], The Treorai [CFE]

HEREBY amends the National Symbols Act to included the following clauses:

NATIONAL BIRD shall be the Great Tit (Parus major).
NATIONAL MAMMAL shall be the Red Deer (Cervus elaphus).
NATIONAL FISH shall be the Seahorse (Hippocampus hippocampus).
NATIONAL REPTILE shall be the Common European Adder (Vipera berus).
NATIONAL SUMMER SPORT shall be Association Football.
NATIONAL WINTER SPORT shall be Ice Hockey.
FLORAL EMBLEM shall be the Bay Laurel (Laurus nobilis).
[/quote]
Give me links to each bill individually posted.
GOD-KING OF ABRASIVENESS

Britcan
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Britcan » Sat May 18, 2013 3:37 pm

This nation should not be taken to be representative of my real-life views, nor should any of the nonsense I posted on here as a teenager.

Greater Pokarnia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Pokarnia » Sat May 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Suggestions for other omnibus bills:

Since the Universal Healthcare Act [Modified] and the Public Education Act both deal with government-run services available to the public, I motion they be ommnibussed into the Public Services Act.

As the Electricity Production Act and Energy for the Future Act both deal with the environmental safety and sustainability of our nation's energy supply, I motion they be omnibussed into the Energy Production Act.
First Deputy Secretary of the Communist Party and Minister of Education of the NSG Senate, representing Constituency 316.

[Insert personal information]

Fulflood
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Sat May 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Greater Pokarnia wrote:Suggestions for other omnibus bills:

Since the Universal Healthcare Act [Modified] and the Public Education Act both deal with government-run services available to the public, I motion they be ommnibussed into the Public Services Act.

As the Electricity Production Act and Energy for the Future Act both deal with the environmental safety and sustainability of our nation's energy supply, I motion they be omnibussed into the Energy Production Act.

Second and second.
I go under the name Vyvland now (IIWiki page). This account is used for the odd foray into the Senate or NSG.
Straight male British apatheist pacifist environmentalist social liberal

Admin, New Democrat member for Lüborg (504) and ambassador to the Red-Greens in the Aurentine Senate. Minister of Business Safety of Aurentina. Apparently that deserves a ministry, but I'm not complaining. I'm probably none of these things anymore. | The Aurentine Phrasebook, my magnum opus.

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Sat May 18, 2013 3:39 pm

Thirded on both counts.
Last edited by Maklohi Vai on Sat May 18, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

Yanalia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Sat May 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Maklohi Vai wrote:

Thirded on both counts.

Fourthed on both counts.
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sat May 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Could this be added to the queue please?

The Treorai
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Treorai » Sat May 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Last edited by The Treorai on Tue May 21, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GOD-KING OF ABRASIVENESS

Wolfmanne
Senator

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Sat May 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Once again the wrong health care bill is linked. Treo please rectify this.

viewtopic.php?p=14336305#p14336305
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Sat May 18, 2013 3:44 pm

Yanalia wrote:
Maklohi Vai wrote:Thirded on both counts.

Fourthed on both counts.

5thed on both

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives