NATION

PASSWORD

Islamic State Crisis Megathread (ISIS/ISIL/IS)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:43 pm

As of now, this is the map in Kobane. The Kurds have done very well and this maybe the turning point for them..The Stalingrad for the Daesh no doubt.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

Marcurix
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:55 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:As of now, this is the map in Kobane. The Kurds have done very well and this maybe the turning point for them..The Stalingrad for the Daesh no doubt.

Depends, I'm hesitant to call Kobane "the Stalingrad for the Daesh" as I have no reliable sources on exactly how much ISIS forces threw into this battle.

An important battle for morale no doubt, but not a tide turning battle on its own.
Last edited by Marcurix on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
-Winston Churchill

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:57 pm

Marcurix wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:As of now, this is the map in Kobane. The Kurds have done very well and this maybe the turning point for them..The Stalingrad for the Daesh no doubt.

Depends, I'm hesitant to call Kobane "the Stalingrad for the Daesh" as I have no reliable sources on exactly how much ISIS forces threw into this battle.

An important battle for morale no doubt, but not a tide turning battle on its own.

From what I read a while back, they threw a lot into it, they sent men from Aleppo, Ar Raqqah, the surrounding cities under their control.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

XY = Male, XX = Female

All Natural France
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Re: Islamic State Crisis Megathread (ISIS/ISIL/IS)

Postby All Natural France » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:00 am

(Image)

What'll you think will happen if the Kurds actually become able to push ISIL out of the city?
Welcome to Shakira France. A.K.A: Best country. You will never be above this country
An Agnostic Christian without regards to Sexuality
I do not believe the Bible is a foolproof way to represent Christianity or history.

Pro: Shakira, Rights for everyone, People who self-describe as "Weird", LGBT Rights, Animal Rights, Abortion(In almost all occasions), Acceptance, Secularism, Evolution, etc
Neutral: N/A
Formerly: Nothing. Add 0+ Posts.

Anti: Bible Thumping, Creationism, ISIS, The Bible's inaccuracies, People defining "The Norm", Evangelism with the intent to convert, being labeled with a sexuality, PETA, Theocracy, Anthropocentrism, etc

Jamjai
Minister

Founded: Jul 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamjai » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:01 am

Germanic Templars wrote:
Marcurix wrote:

From what I read a while back, they threw a lot into it, they sent men from Aleppo, Ar Raqqah, the surrounding cities under their control.

Erdogan should've sent those turkish soldiers to kobane
RP: 34 million

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:07 am

All Natural France wrote:

(Image)

What'll you think will happen if the Kurds actually become able to push ISIL out of the city?

Who knows? If I were them (Kurds) I would continue to push them as far away from the city as possible.

Anyway, meanwhile in Iraq

Peshmerga denied ISIS to Kirkuk, an oil rich place in Iraq.

And back in Syria....

And the Syrian forces have also been on the move as well
Last edited by Germanic Templars on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

• INTP
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

XY = Male, XX = Female

Marcurix
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:12 am

(Image)

As far as I know Kobane is still largely circled by ISIS forces, so breaking that would be the key.
Last edited by Marcurix on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

-Winston Churchill

-Winston Churchill

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:20 am

(Image)

I think chances are high Erdogan will either screw it all up by aiming their artillery on Kudish positions, or will use the Turkish army to overshoot the rebels, capture some Syrian territory, and likely hold on to it, potentially permanently.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:23 am

Herskerstad wrote:
All Natural France wrote:What'll you think will happen if the Kurds actually become able to push ISIL out of the city?

I think chances are high Erdogan will either screw it all up by aiming their artillery on Kudish positions, or will use the Turkish army to overshoot the rebels, capture some Syrian territory, and likely hold on to it, potentially permanently.

Come on now, Erdogan may not be the brightest person, but I am sure even he doesn't want to risk that publicity stunt.

• INTP
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

XY = Male, XX = Female

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:23 am

Jamjai wrote:Erdogan should've sent those turkish soldiers to kobane

Why would he? The IS would never attack Turkish territory for obvious reasons and the Kurds (especially the PKK) are not held in high regard by the Turkish Republic's government in Ankara due to their separatist tendencies.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:25 am

Germanic Templars wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:

Come on now, Erdogan may not be the brightest person, but I am sure even he doesn't want to risk that publicity stunt.

After his very expensive (but kitsch in my opinion) presidential palace I doubt his ability to think before massively-increasing his unpopularity.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:27 am

Germanic Templars wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:

He already had the army shelling the Kurdish positions at one point, at this point, I think no geopolitical failure is beyond Erdogan.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:41 am

How are Assad's troops coping with fighting on two fronts (one with the rebels and the other one with IS and other Jihadists)?
Last edited by Sebastianbourg on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:43 am

Herskerstad wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:

He already had the army shelling the Kurdish positions at one point, at this point, I think no geopolitical failure is beyond Erdogan.

Not talking so much about killing the Kurds, more of him wanting to annex some land.

Sebastianbourg wrote:How are Assad's troops coping with fighting on two fronts (one with the rebels and the other one with IS and other Jihadists)?

They still have air units, that is my first guess.

• INTP
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

XY = Male, XX = Female

Herargon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:46 am

A song to fight against ISIS and to remember extremism is bad.

Struggle Of Blood, Sweat and Tears

|: From Kobane to Baghdad,
From one to other,
We stand as an united front,
Against the Darkness that's called ISIS,
Against the extremism that's called an enemy.

Praise thee, people who help us against them,
For God may have mercy upon them.

The storm rises and rises, the sun may set,
But not on our soil, nay, we won't give up.
The shadow lurks, the storm is closing up,
But we will stand fiercely, against the raze that brought us.
The time has stopped, the storm is there,
It's time to fight, time to encounter your fear,
Forwards, forwards, immortal heroes!

From the Abrams, to the Patriot,
We've got everything to destroy you,
From help to supplies and more,
We've got everything coming against you,
We're coming,
We're coming,
We're coming! (Voice that sounds intimitading) :|
Last edited by Herargon on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: tolerance, individualism, technocratism, democratism, freedom, freedom of speech and moderate religious expression, the ban on hate speech, constitutional monarchism, the Rhine model
Against: intolerance, radicalism, strong discrimination, populism, fascism, nazism, communism, totalitarianism, authoritarianism, absolutarianism, fundamentalism, strong religious expression, strong nationalism, police states

If you like philosophy, then here you can see what your own philosophical alignements are.

Ifreann wrote:That would certainly save the local regiment of American troops the trouble of plugging your head in ye olde shittere.
How scifi alliances actually work.

Marcurix
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:47 am

Sebastianbourg wrote:How are Assad's troops coping with fighting on two fronts (one with the rebels and the other one with IS and other Jihadists)?

The rebels appear to have had the wind taken out of their sails by the Jihadists, the infighting has allowed his forces to regroup and press the advantage for now.
-Voltaire

-Winston Churchill

-Winston Churchill

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:48 am

Marcurix wrote:

The rebels appear to have had the wind taken out of their sails by the Jihadists, the infighting has allowed his forces to regroup and press the advantage for now.

Are the rebels done for?

Herargon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:53 am

(Image)

I hope it will be the stalingrad for ISIL.

And, Anti-ISIS people that fight against ISIS, remember; try not to become the darkness in yourselves. That's a big danger for your morale and reputation as a good person.

Take a moment to weep, with your family and/or friends, and then look to the stars.
Breathe in, and out. Breathe in, and out. Don't think about the bad moments with your deceased people; they do not want to see you feel bad. Let them not be forgotten and think about the good things with them. Talk about it with who you trust.

It will help against the pain.
Pro: tolerance, individualism, technocratism, democratism, freedom, freedom of speech and moderate religious expression, the ban on hate speech, constitutional monarchism, the Rhine model
Against: intolerance, radicalism, strong discrimination, populism, fascism, nazism, communism, totalitarianism, authoritarianism, absolutarianism, fundamentalism, strong religious expression, strong nationalism, police states

If you like philosophy, then here you can see what your own philosophical alignements are.

Ifreann wrote:That would certainly save the local regiment of American troops the trouble of plugging your head in ye olde shittere.

Marcurix
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:57 am

Sebastianbourg wrote:
Marcurix wrote:

Are the rebels done for?

I couldn't say for certain, what happens in Syria will ultimately be tied to what happens to ISIS. If that group falls it depends who fills the vacuum of power in the places ISIS currently controls that will decide if the rebles are done for or not.
-Voltaire

-Winston Churchill

-Winston Churchill

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:58 am

Marcurix wrote:
Sebastianbourg wrote:Are the rebels done for?

I couldn't say for certain, what happens in Syria will ultimately be tied to what happens to ISIS. If that group falls it depends who fills the vacuum of power in the places ISIS currently controls that will decide if the rebles are done for or not.

Looking at Libya makes me want the rebels to be defeated by Assad.

Herargon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:59 am

Sebastianbourg wrote:
Marcurix wrote:

Looking at Libya makes me want the rebels to be defeated by Assad.

On another hand, another dictator isn't very great to look for.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:09 am

Herargon wrote:
Sebastianbourg wrote:Looking at Libya makes me want the rebels to be defeated by Assad.

On another hand, another dictator isn't very great to look for.

I prefer a dictator to a practically non-existent government. Frankly, I cannot understand the West's obsession with democracy in unstable countries incapable of sustaining the system.

Herargon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:23 am

Sebastianbourg wrote:
Herargon wrote:On another hand, another dictator isn't very great to look for.

I prefer a dictator to a practically non-existent government. Frankly, I cannot understand the West's obsession with democracy in unstable countries incapable of sustaining the system.

In Assadia, you are stoned by the dictatorship.
In the West, you elect someone democratically to become a dictator. :p
In China: What elections?
In North Korea: Dear Leader elects you to be shot.
Last edited by Herargon on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:26 am

Germanic Templars wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:

Not talking so much about killing the Kurds, more of him wanting to annex some land.

It would not be an unheard of practice for Turkey to perform.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:28 am

Herargon wrote:
Sebastianbourg wrote:I prefer a dictator to a practically non-existent government. Frankly, I cannot understand the West's obsession with democracy in unstable countries incapable of sustaining the system.

In Assadia, you are stoned by the dictatorship.
In the West, you elect someone democratically to become a dictator. :p
In China: What elections?
In North Korea: Dear Leader elects you to be shot.

1. I was under the impression that Assad is a Ba'athist and therefore an advocate of the glorious laïcité;
2. But our 'dictators' are idiots;
3. The Communist Party delegates vote;
4. Technically a totalitarian democracy since mock elections are held.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General