NATION

PASSWORD

DoJ v. Arizona (Immigration Megathread)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Bramborska
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

DoJ v. Arizona (Immigration Megathread)

Postby Bramborska » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:30 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00061.html
The lawsuit, which three sources said could be filed as early as Tuesday, will invoke for its main argument the legal doctrine of "preemption," which is based on the Constitution's supremacy clause and says that federal law trumps state statutes. Justice Department officials believe that enforcing immigration laws is a federal responsibility, the sources said.

Today is supposed to be the day the DoJ files suit against Arizona over... Well, Arizona's version of the DoJ's law.
Last edited by Bramborska on Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A liberal is a person who believes that water can be made to run uphill. A conservative is someone who believes everybody should pay for his water. I'm somewhere in between: I believe water should be free, but that water flows downhill. - Theodore White
| Clint Eastwood 2012 |

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:36 am

I hope the Department of Justice wins, just like it ought. Non-procedural immigration is a part of US Code, and is federal responsibility.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:38 am

Huzzah!
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:40 am

Arkinesia wrote:I hope the Department of Justice wins, just like it ought. Non-procedural immigration is a part of US Code, and is federal responsibility.

Then maybe the Feds should start taking that responsibility seriously.
Friendly Neighborhood Fascist™
ФАШИЗМ БЕЗГРАНИЧНЫЙ И КРАСНЫЙ
Caninope wrote:Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Timothy McVeigh casts... Pyrotechnics!

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

New Kereptica wrote:Fascism: because people are too smart nowadays.

Bramborska
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bramborska » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:41 am

Arkinesia wrote:I hope the Department of Justice wins, just like it ought. Non-procedural immigration is a part of US Code, and is federal responsibility.

I believe the case is not whether its Federal responsibility, but whether Arizona's law interferes with it. Obviously, states can 'back up' Federal law with their own. For example, almost every large city has a local Equal Employment Commission, but the Federal version is still around.
A liberal is a person who believes that water can be made to run uphill. A conservative is someone who believes everybody should pay for his water. I'm somewhere in between: I believe water should be free, but that water flows downhill. - Theodore White
| Clint Eastwood 2012 |

Maryginia
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Maryginia » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:41 am

im from az and i hope the doj wins
PRO ISRAEL AND DAMN PROUD
TAKE BACK MUSIC!
Impeach Pop music, Legalize creativity, Auto-tune is theft, Real Music forever

I SIDE WITH UKRAINE

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:41 am

Panzerjaeger wrote:

Here's hoping on a false hope… :roll:
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:45 am

Bramborska wrote:

I believe the case is not whether its Federal responsibility, but whether Arizona's law interferes with it. Obviously, states can 'back up' Federal law with their own. For example, almost every large city has a local Equal Employment Commission, but the Federal version is still around.

The difference is of course that while states may supplement federal law, they can only do so in a purely intra-state way. The federal government has anti-discrimination in labor laws. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has laws that are stricter than the federal version. The difference is, of course, that the laws of Massachusetts pertain only to Massachusetts. The laws of the state can not impact the policies or laws of other states, nor can they interfere, elaborate upon, or attempt to enforce matters that are PURELY federal.

“Arizon” has no closed border. The border is with “The United States of America”. Immigration is matter of individuals entering “The United States of America” not “The State of Arizon”. Which makes immigration a uniquely federal matter. One the state can no impinge upon. The individual state can not create or enforce immigration policies. That’s the job of the federal government.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Conservative Alliances
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Alliances » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:45 am

Panzerjaeger wrote:

Good luck with that.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I am the Ghost of Sparta
Member of the Ebul NSG Right-Wing Establishment
Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
Spectrum
Foriegn Affairs
Cultural
Political Spectrum Quiz
Essentially a mix of the American Dream and 1950s culture with futuristic technology.
Rhodmhire wrote:I love you.
Liuzzo wrote:Conversely Conservative Alliances, Vetalia, and others make terrific arguments that people may not agree with but you can discuss.
Glorious Homeland wrote:Although some individuals provided counter-points which tended to put to bed a few of my previous statements (conservative alliances, zoingo)

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:46 am

Panzerjaeger wrote:

Irrelevant in regards to this law. How the federal government chooses to use its power is the decision of the federal government. The state can no co-op federal authority just because they don't like how the federal government chooses to use that authority.

Bramborska
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bramborska » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:50 am

Neo Art wrote:
Bramborska wrote:

The difference is of course that while states may supplement federal law, they can only do so in a purely intra-state way. The federal government has anti-discrimination in labor laws. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has laws that are stricter than the federal version. The difference is, of course, that the laws of Massachusetts pertain only to Massachusetts. The laws of the state can not impact the policies or laws of other states, nor can they interfere, elaborate upon, or attempt to enforce matters that are PURELY federal.

“Arizon” has no closed border. The border is with “The United States of America”. Immigration is matter of individuals entering “The United States of America” not “The State of Arizon”. Which makes immigration a uniquely federal matter. One the state can no impinge upon. The individual state can not create or enforce immigration policies. That’s the job of the federal government.

But the Arizona law doesn't concern the enforcing of the border. Arizona, even with the law, has no border enforcement agency. The law only gives the local police the same inquisition-like powers that the Federal government's border enforcement powers already have. The concept of 'immigration' is, for the most obvious reasons, not enforceable by the states; I agree. Yet within state borders policies by the state concerning immigrants are applicable. For example, if you were right and immigrants were only under the jurisdiction of the Federal government--they wouldn't need to pay parking meters (considering it's a municipal ordinance).

Edit: er, grammar is hard.
Last edited by Bramborska on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
| Clint Eastwood 2012 |

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:01 am

Bramborska wrote:
But the Arizona law doesn't concern the enforcing of the border. Arizona, even with the law, has no border enforcement agency. The law only gives the local police the same inquisition-like powers that the Federal government's border enforcement powers already have. The concept of 'immigration' is, for the most obvious reasons, not enforceable by the states; I agree. Yet within state borders policies by the state concerning immigrants are applicable. For example, if you were right and immigrants were only under the jurisdiction of the Federal government--they wouldn't need to pay parking meters (considering it's a municipal ordinance).

Edit: er, grammar is hard.

The problem thus becomes is, if state laws concerning immigrants are legal in that state, what authority does the state have to CREATE laws concerning immigrants on an intra-state level. My point is, of course, that the idea of “immigrant”, as a concept, is only relevant on a federal level. State borders are, by definition, open. There’s really no such thing as an “immigrant” to a state from a legal perspective. It is a term that only has meaning in a legal sense at a federal level.

And as such, it’s extremely questionable (to the point of perhaps being downright obviously untrue) whether a state has ANY powers to create laws regulating immigration. Because, remember, the law does not (and really can not) make it illegal for someone to BE IN ARIZONA. Rather, it creates criminal penalties for people who are in the COUNTRY illegally and FOUND in Arizona. That’s a very crucial difference, and an important one. It's not to say that immigrants are only under the authority of the federal government. That's silly and obviously untrue as you point out. But rather their STATUS as an immigrant, and the legality or lack thereof OF THAT STATUS is a matter for federal enforcement only. The state can surely put an immigrant, even an illegal one, under their authority if the immigrant is found within that state. What the state can NOT do is make regulations, laws, or legal penalties that relate to their STATUS in the country, because their STATUS is a federal matter, not a state one.

The STATE can not really make penalties for being in the COUNTRY illegally. Or, to put it another way, the state can not decide that someone is in “the state” legally, because definitionally inherent to a state’s open borders, anyone who is in the COUNTRY legally can be in any STATE legally. So the only way one can be “in arizona” illegally is because Arizona is, by definition, part of the broader country. So who gets to decide who is in the country legally or not? The federal government.

Arizona can not make that determination, nor can it enforce any penalties for being in the state illegally, because to make a determination that someone is in the STATE illegally they must make the determination that they are in the COUNTRY illegally, and that’s solely the authority of the federal government.
Last edited by Neo Art on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:07 am

Since your here Mr. Art does this case require some sort of standing to proceed ?
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:09 am

greed and death wrote:Since your here Mr. Art does this case require some sort of standing to proceed ?

To make a very long answer very short, let it suffice to say that the federal government ALWAYS has standing when the allegation is that a state law unconstitutionally interferes with federal powers.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:10 am

Neo Art wrote:
greed and death wrote:Since your here Mr. Art does this case require some sort of standing to proceed ?

To make a very long answer very short, let it suffice to say that the federal government ALWAYS has standing when the allegation is that a state law unconstitutionally interferes with federal powers.

aka I will learn about this in more detail in law school then, I hope.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:13 am

greed and death wrote:
Neo Art wrote:

aka I will learn about this in more detail in law school then, I hope.

"standing" generally means “you have to be impacted by the conduct of the party you bring suit against” or “you have to have a direct interest in the law being enforced in this case”. One of the big issue in the 2008 election with those who were trying to sue Obama to have the birth certificate released is that, technically, the only people who have a DIRECT interest in enforcement of election law are the 538 electors. Since they’re the only ones ACTUALLY voting they’re the only ones who have a direct interest in enforcement of the laws regarding candidate requirements. Sorta why I can’t sue you for trespassing on my neighbor’s lawn.

Well what’s the federal government’s argument here? That their rights as the federal government are being interfered with by this law. The law that they’re invoking to attempt to enforce is not the Arizona law, but the US Constitution. They have a direct interest in the enforcement of the constitution in this matter because it relates directly to their particular powers.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:16 am

Panzerjaeger wrote:

What makes you think they're not?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Bleeding Roses
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Bleeding Roses » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:16 am

Arizona will win. Nothing else needs be said.
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:18 am

The Bleeding Roses wrote:Arizona will win. Nothing else needs be said.

I think, given your demonstrated skill in legal analysis, that this very comment, all by itself, creates a virtual certainty that the DoJ will win this one.

Vervaria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:18 am

Why will it win?
Lulz: viewtopic.php?p=2707685#p2707685
Fact book
Robustian wrote:If you disagree with me, you are wrong. Period.

Ashmoria wrote:it worries me more when people who hate the government and dont think it can do a good job at anything get into power and start running things.

Wanderjar wrote:hiding behind this "I WANT SOURCES" wall is very quaint

Self--Esteem wrote:No. I love smearing those people who evidently like their country blown by a nuke and who are too foolish to realise that middle-eastern terrorism is nothing to be fond of.

Novistranaya wrote:After the Civil War, the majority of Southerners were more than happy to accept defeat and acknowledge the fact that (though not immediately) blacks were going to have the same rights as them.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:19 am

Other than an explanation of why you think that to be the case...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Conservative Alliances
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Alliances » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 am

Is this your personal hope or legal opinion?
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I am the Ghost of Sparta
Member of the Ebul NSG Right-Wing Establishment
Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
Spectrum
Foriegn Affairs
Cultural
Political Spectrum Quiz
Essentially a mix of the American Dream and 1950s culture with futuristic technology.
Rhodmhire wrote:I love you.
Liuzzo wrote:Conversely Conservative Alliances, Vetalia, and others make terrific arguments that people may not agree with but you can discuss.
Glorious Homeland wrote:Although some individuals provided counter-points which tended to put to bed a few of my previous statements (conservative alliances, zoingo)

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 am

Conservative Alliances wrote:

Is this your personal hope or legal opinion?

I fear to have something that constitutes a "legal opinion" one must actually know a bare minimum about the law.

Rolling squid
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 am

Vervaria wrote:

Why will it win?

because this is the same court that gave us citizens united.
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

Orlkjestad
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orlkjestad » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 am

The Justice Department will win, no questions asked. The law is obviously unconstitutional, and we're dealing with THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT. If only the case was on pay-per-view...
The Reformed Republican Union Of Orlkjestad
Comrade-President Leon Palantine
Vice President Arcturo Tarentum
Secretary Of Foreign Affaires Marco Valentia
Storefronts: They're all under construction, please go away
Alliances: Forever alone
Other Threads: The Severan Faith
Alert Levels
DEFCON: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Terrorism Alert Levels: [Low] Guarded Elevated High Severe

"Although we see the world through different eyes, we share the same idea of paradise." -The Pet Shop Boys in Se A Vida E

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General