NATION

PASSWORD

1900 : Alternative Divergence | Interest Thread

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Alt Div Admin
Envoy

Founded: Dec 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

1900 : Alternative Divergence | Interest Thread

Postby Alt Div Admin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:40 pm

1900 : Alternative Divergence

Interest Thread

Under Construction!

“Men make History, but not at the time he wishes.”

– Karl Marx__________________________________

But for the sake of argument, what if we could?

Be it a point of divergence or a whole new nation, what if we could make history EXACTLY at the point that we wish?

Hello and welcome to Another Alternative Divergence, an AH/AW RP where the world is your oyster to do whatever you wish. For the sake of continuity, the time now is 1900 C.E.. What would be your vision of a world shaped by the nation that you call your own?

Again, for the sake of continuity, we should set a few ground rules.

• All apps need a point of start and build-up – Whether you start from stone age and build it up to 1850 or simply change a few things here and there from 1800’s is up to you, but I would like for all nations to have an interesting history behind it… to prove you are capable AH/AW Rper.
  • All nations MUST be somewhat original – Let’s try to be a bit more creative than having Great Britain at all its glory. You can keep the name and title, but you MUST have some degree of DIFFERENCE between your nation and the IRL ones.
  • Everything can be excused with reason – I am willing to let anything be possible as long as it is stated clearly in the app with full explanation as to why it has come to be for your nation. … Similarly, I will accept NOTHING without a proper explanation.

-Reservation Application-

Code: Select all
[align=middle][size=150][u]Reservation[/u][/size][/align]
[b]Nation Name:[/b]
[b]Territory:(Preferably in picture form)[/b]
#AltDiv (do not delete this, it's for keeping track of the apps)
*Note: The OP board reserves the right to be subjective in regards to accepting reservations.
Last edited by Alt Div Admin on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:12 am, edited 5 times in total.

Alt Div Admin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Alt Div Admin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:43 pm

Reservations:

Tracian Empire - The Roman Empire

Cymrea - United Kingdom of America

Helghan - The Hanseatic League

Novacom - The Aztek Ascendancy

Elerian - The Angevin Empire

Old Tyrannia - Dai Nippon Kaikoku (大日本海国)

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States - The Kingdom of Cossaks

Aidannadia - The Bagandan Empire

Velahor - The Republic of Jefferson -

Togeria - The Empire of Callista

Intermountain States - The Kingdom of Tamna

Gyrenaica - The Kingdom of Batavia

The Manticoran Empire - The Confederate States of America

Rygondria - The Empire of India

The Free Territory of Makhnovia - The Khaganate of Mongolia

The Orson Empire - Italy

NewneCarribean7 - The Franzi Empire - Claim might clash with the French claim in regards to Algeria and Morocco.

The VOID - China

Greater Slavic Union - The Western Slavic Kingdom - Claim clashes with Hansa claim in regards to Eastern Prussia.

Mechanist Combine - The Republic of Vinland

Western Pacific Territories - Libya

The New Byzantine II - The Empire of Georgia

Auchterland - The Republic of Sacramento

Dunree - The Kingdom of Ireland and Scotland

Krugmar - The Yin Dynasty

The Federation of Kendor - The Federal Republic of Indonesia

Western Imperial Union - Moscovian Khanate

Conchabira - Kingdom of the Celts - Claim clashes with Kingdom of Ireland and Scotland,
and it loses those territories. Colonial claims will be decided later.

A-Big-Cookie - Absolute Empire of Scandinavia Claim is unclear in regards to its homeland territories, and as such, it loses Kola and Denmark to Muscovy and Hansa. Colonial claims will be decided later.

The Imperial Masonic Dominion - The Iberian Empire

Narintia - Grand Duchy of Livonia - Claim clashes with Western Slavic claim over Lithuania. With the player's agreement, it will only retain Lativa, Estonia, and the remaining lands of Belarus.
Last edited by Alt Div Admin on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:50 am, edited 7 times in total.

Alt Div Admin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Alt Div Admin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:43 pm

The Traansval wrote:snip

Dunree wrote:snip

The V O I D wrote:snip

Alt Div Admin wrote:snip
Last edited by Alt Div Admin on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Tag!
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Oscalantine
Minister

Founded: Apr 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Oscalantine » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:48 pm

Let's be fair here, I didn't come back to NS for this.

... but I am sticking around NS for this. Well met, AD, may you live on for a good few more years XDDD.

Oh and tag^^

Elerian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Elerian » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Oscalantine wrote:Let's be fair here, I didn't come back to NS for this.

... but I am sticking around NS for this. Well met, AD, may you live on for a good few more years XDDD.

Oh and tag^^

Good to see you back Osc

Also tag.

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:02 pm

Tag
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Oscalantine
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oscalantine » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:08 pm

Elerian wrote:Good to see you back Osc

Also tag.

I was super surprised when Trace let me know that they were planning on starting this just as I came to fill my RP itch. Do you believe in divine intervention? Because it definitly seems pretty interventionary XDDD

I am super interested in history while I was away. Since this is interest and I assume worldbuilding, what are some stuff that will be imported from last few iterations that I missed out?

Elerian
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Elerian » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:13 pm

Oscalantine wrote:
Elerian wrote:Good to see you back Osc

Also tag.

I was super surprised when Trace let me know that they were planning on starting this just as I came to fill my RP itch. Do you believe in divine intervention? Because it definitly seems pretty interventionary XDDD

I am super interested in history while I was away. Since this is interest and I assume worldbuilding, what are some stuff that will be imported from last few iterations that I missed out?

I think we're pretty much giving this one a clean slate. Some of use will stay as nations we RPed as before, like Trace as Rome and Ty as Japan but otherwise I think it'll probably all be different.

Greater Slavic Union
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Slavic Union » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:34 pm

A Tag, I suppose
Official Name: ZápadoSłováńský Králevství
Population: 124.480.112

King: Král Michal I Kolovrát
Population growth: 2,3%

Queen: Královna Klaudia Katmařková-Kolovrátová
PPP GDP: 5.848 billion SK (Slavic Krunas)

Heirs: Crown Prince Oleg, Crown Princess Sylvia,
Warsaw Dukess Oksana, Prince of Prague Paveł
Nominal GDP: 3.868 billion USD

Current Royal Family: Kolovrát House
Fertility Index: 2,1 childs per woman

Elerian
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Elerian » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:50 pm

We should be getting up a reservation application within the next day or so.

Oscalantine
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oscalantine » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:00 am

Elerian wrote:We should be getting up a reservation application within the next day or so.

Even more pressing problem is to have our Alt Div Admin account get a cloths. The naked flag really takes away from the professional attitude that is expected from a neutral account XDDD. I'll see if there are anything from old database that we can base off the flag from.

Or did you guys have a flag that was used before? I mean... thinking about it, it really makes a lot of sense that it was dug up from a grave and lost its paintjob from last iteration XDDD

Second Helghan Empire
Minister

Founded: Jul 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Second Helghan Empire » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:03 am

Hey hey
Well now, that hibernation has gotten boring, daddy is back again.

Kievan Rus Republic
Attaché

Founded: Nov 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kievan Rus Republic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:04 am

tagging
Kiev, throught the eons of history, has endured everything the world has to bring it down. From the heathen mongol and their barbarity, Polish-Lithuanian and its Catholic feudalism and oppression, Russian empire, Nazi Germany, and even the Godless Soviet. But today, Kiev still prove itself to the world that it would stand forever! As the city of the Rus, Holy land of Orthodox Christianity, and bastion of Democracy in the Eastern Europe.
So with that, may Kiev will never perish--For God is with us!

Western Imperial Union
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Imperial Union » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:07 am

tag and will have an app up in a day or so

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:15 am

As discussed over telegram, I wish to reserve Japan.

Good to see this rising from the dead!
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:26 am

Full Nation Name: The Scandinavian Realm

Majority/Official Culture: Scandinavian (a culture group that includes Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian)

Territorial Core: Sweden, Denmark (+Iceland, +Greenland), Norway, and Finland, each according to their RL 1936 borders.
Territorial Claim: The Scandinavian Realm maintains no territorial claims in foreign territory, but has a great interest in influencing the affairs of the Baltic Region
Capital City: Stockholm, at the mouth of Lake Mälaren

Population: 16.15 million citizens

Government Type: Constitutional monarchy, with a parliamentary-democratic constitution
Government Ideology/Policies: Democratic liberalism, diplomatic neutrality, infrastructural development
Government Focus: Continued maintenance of Scandinavian stability and prosperity. What "stability and prosperity" means depends on which politician one asks.

Head of State: His Majesty Harald Knudsen (Harald VII), the King of Scandinavia
Head of Government: Søren Jensen, State Minister of the Realm
Government Description: The government of the Scandinavian Realm consists of one main deliberative body - the National Assembly. Its members are chosen via nationwide elections that are held every four years (or earlier, if an early election is called), and after each election nominates a State Minister to lead the nation until the next election. The National Assembly has, by the constitution, the power to write laws and manage the affairs of the State. The King's role is now by and large ceremonial.

Majority/State Religion: Protestant Christianity
Religious Description: The official State religion and the majority religion of the Scandinavian Realm is protestant Christianity, represented by the Church of Scandinavia, but other denominations of Christianity, local native religions, and the nonreligious movement are all present as a significant minority.

Economic Ideologies: Liberalism. To a certain extent, social democracy.
Major Production: Scandinavian industry is highly complex and diversified, but its wealth of iron ore reserves have given it an influential steel industry. Scandinavia also exports, in terms of natural resources, fish and timber.
Economic Description: Scandinavia is heavily industrialised, with one of the highest per-capita income in the world. It has a modest but rapidly growing public sector, primarily consisting of industries which the state believes essential to the national good and social policy expenditure. It pursues a relatively protectionist trade policy, although has a very free capitalist economy internally, limited primarily by labour regulation. Scandinavia is not part of any economic integration blocs.

Army Strength: Scandinavia's army is highly trained and is equipped with advanced weaponry and gear. Consequently, it is highly mobile and effective, especially in friendly terrain.
Army Weakness: Scandinavia's army is small. Consequently, its ability to disperse and project military power is highly limited.
Naval Strength: Scandinavia's navy is geared towards coastal defence and convoy protection. It is very much a defensive fleet in being.
Naval Weakness: Consequently, Scandinavia's navy is rather weak in submarine warfare and also is unable to project power abroad.

National Goals: Scandinavian leadership is divided as to what the goals of the Scandinavian Realm actually are. Some factions pursue continued economic development and a more equal Scandinavia, some pursue growth and a prosperous state, while still others believe in the expansion of Scandinavian influence - or even territory - deeper into Eastern Europe.
National Issues: Internal social tensions. The Scandinavian Realm is very much a divided society.

History: The winds of change and civilisation came to Scandinavia, once a divided land of squabbling chiefs and raiders, with the expansion of the Roman Empire. The slow creep of technological and social advances from the south gave Ragnarr of Sjælland a decisive advantage that he needed to end, once and for all, the numerous disputes between the Jutland and Sjælland tribes. After considerable internal dispute concerning the transfer into male primogeniture, the details of which are lost to time, the Kingdom of Denmark was firmly established - the first truly organised kingdom in Scandinavia, administrating its provinces through a government structure clearly inspired by the Roman. Contact with the successor states of the Roman Empire itself was established soon afterwards and the resulting influence of southern kings and merchants in Scandinavian affairs, especially the conversion of entire regions into Christianity, gave the Scandinavian nobility considerable cause for concern. Threatened by the outside influence and now aware of the cultural similarities that united the Scandinavian kingdoms together, the Scandinavian nobility sought to unite these kingdoms closer together politically. The end result of these efforts was the Danish-Swedish treaty of friendship and amity, signed in 996, and the ascent of Knut "the Imperious," the King of Denmark at the time, to the Norwegian throne in 1024. Although these efforts ultimately failed to prevent the spread of Christianity and elements of Latin culture into Scandinavian society, it was the first steps towards the later formation of a unified Scandinavian state.

The ascent of Selbjørn "the Conquerer" to the throne of Sweden decisively changed the course of Scandinavian history. Unlike previous Scandinavian rulers, who focused on competing with the other states of the area in competing for influence in the more civilised North Sea, Selbjørn the Conquerer almost abandoned his support for Swedish merchants in the North Sea, instead focusing his efforts towards consolidating Swedish power over the barbarian tribes to the east. Although initially, these efforts were wildly successful, progress became increasingly more difficult to maintain with the rise of Russian influence from the south. After a few large yet indecisive struggles against Russian influence, such as the Battle of Holmgård in 1204 (now more commonly known as the Battle of Novgorod) and the Battle of Aldeigja in 1230, it was tacitly agreed by both sides that Sweden will refrain from attempting to expand its influence south of the coastline around the Gulf of Finland and that Russia will similarly refrain from attempting to gain a foothold in the coast of the Gulf. The area that thereby fell under Swedish influence - today's Finland and northern Russia - became consolidated into the Kingdom of Sweden gradually in the 14th and early 15th Centuries.

The series of wars which the Scandinavian states fought against their neighbours to the east and south in the centuries following and the growth of the Russian threat in the east brought the Scandinavian kingdoms even closer together, concluding a permanent alliance in 1507. It was, in fact, the Second Baltic War of 1644-1652 that set about the chain of events that led to the establishment of the Scandinavian state. The death of the King of Denmark-Norway in the Battle of Riga gave the throne to his daughter, Crown Princess Erika, who was engaged with the then Crown Prince of Sweden, Karl Johansson of the Selbjörn dynasty. The marriage was hastened by various political forces seeking to gain an advantage in courts both at home and abroad, and the son produced in this marriage, Rasmus Karlsson, became the first king of a unified Scandinavia by inheriting both the crowns of Sweden and of Denmark-Norway. Although initially a legal formality, over time, the administrations and governance of the two entities merged, forming a unified Scandinavian state.

Over time, Scandinavian influence in the east greatly declined as the more populous Russia slowly developed into a superpower. In the two centuries following the establishment of Scandinavia as a unified state, it had to not only allow Russia to expand its dominant influence as far north as the Kola Peninsula, but after a series of short wars in which Russia won a narrow yet clear victory, also had to concede land allowing Russia access to the Baltic. This perceived and real threat of Russia forced Scandinavia to diplomatically align itself very closely with other nations similarly threatened, leading to a stronger economic and academic relationship with the southern nations.

During this period, however, Scandinavia embraced some highly advanced institutions well ahead of their time. As early as 1668 Scandinavia had the riksbank, which can be described well as an early version of today's central banks. In 1748 Scandinavia became one of the world's first countries to conduct a national census of its population, vastly improving its efficiency of taxation and administration. In 1842 the Scandinavian Realm began providing basic state education to its population, and the resulting wave of great scientists have greatly improved Scandinavian international prestige later in the century. Consequently, when the Industrial Revolution arrived, the Scandinavian Realm was in excellent position to embrace it. Despite being limited by geographical disadvantages and relatively underdeveloped infrastructure, Scandinavian cities grew as agricultural practices were revolutionised and millions of farmers arrived at the cities, becoming workers.

The Industrial Revolution, however, brought more changes than just the economic. The landed aristocracy rapidly faded away from relevance in Scandinavian politics, while the new capitalist, bourgeois class grew to take its place. The new 1859 National Constitution almost eliminated the monarchy's role in political decision-making. An educated and concentrated populace brought about a rapid growth in the civil society, with profound implications for Scandinavian culture and politics. The population boomed as medical practices improved. Meanwhile, the increasingly conscious and educated working class is increasingly active in demonstrating its discontentment with its role in society. The General Strike of 1887 and the General Strike of 1894 both resulted in labour-capital compromises that profoundly changed the economic structure of Scandinavian society.

Now, the storm of the Industrial Revolution rages across the Scandinavian lands, and with it, all that it implies...

Comparison Points – Political: 2. Although Scandinavian governance is relatively stable, transparent, and efficient, the restrictions imposed by democratic governance and a neutral foreign policy somewhat limits its ability to respond in force to pressing issues.
Comparison Points – Cultural/Religious : 2. Scandinavia holds enough cultural and religious momentum to preserve Scandinavian as a distinct culture group and a highly educated populace that's active in scientific and political innovations, again the restrictions imposed by democratic governance and a neutral foreign policy severely limits Scandinavian culture's influence abroad.
Comparison Points – Economy: 5. Scandinavia is and has been since the Industrial Revolution one of the most industrialised and wealthiest states in not just Europe, but the world. Although Scandinavia's coffers are far from bottomless, its citizens enjoy a standard of living almost unheard of in poorer nations.
Comparison Points – Military: 1. The Scandinavian Realm feels that its geopolitical position is relatively secure, and consequently invests less into its military than other countries of similar size and population. Scandinavia's military is also badly hampered by its citizenry's resistance against conscription.
Total Comparison Points used: 10/10

#AltDiv
Last edited by Plzen on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Oscalantine
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oscalantine » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:26 am

Wait, I thought Ty doing Japan was as obvious as me doing Korea.

Well, since that is the case... Korea reservation please ^^

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:35 am

Oscalantine wrote:Wait, I thought Ty doing Japan was as obvious as me doing Korea.

Well, since that is the case... Korea reservation please ^^

Well, we did discuss the possibility of me taking over Britain from Cymrea over TG, but I decided against it. Nippon banzai!
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

The Federation of Kendor
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Kendor » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:44 am

Can I reserve Indonesia?
My Dispatch
North Korean Russia wrote:"I am God! You are powerless against me! I am so awesome that when I play basketball I always get four points per shot!" -Kim Jong-Putin.

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:Their founder turned into an eagle and flew into the sun before being burned to death. This is what their flag really means, and any other attempt at explanation of its meaning is ignored in favor of this explanation.

If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
RP links: TBA

Greater Slavic Union
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Slavic Union » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:56 am

Ok so, if possible reserve Czechoslovakia and Poland in their 1936 borders, Lusatia, Silesia, Pomerania, Ukraine (western bank of the Dniepr) 1936 borders, Lithuania and East Prussia.
Official Name: ZápadoSłováńský Králevství
Population: 124.480.112

King: Král Michal I Kolovrát
Population growth: 2,3%

Queen: Královna Klaudia Katmařková-Kolovrátová
PPP GDP: 5.848 billion SK (Slavic Krunas)

Heirs: Crown Prince Oleg, Crown Princess Sylvia,
Warsaw Dukess Oksana, Prince of Prague Paveł
Nominal GDP: 3.868 billion USD

Current Royal Family: Kolovrát House
Fertility Index: 2,1 childs per woman

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:13 am

Greater Slavic Union wrote:Ok so, if possible reserve Czechoslovakia and Poland in their 1936 borders, Lusatia, Silesia, Pomerania, Ukraine (western bank of the Dniepr) 1936 borders, Lithuania and East Prussia.

East Prussia and Silesia and Pomerania and all the rightful German clay are most likely already taken by a member of the OP board, but the rest sounds ok :p
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:14 am

The Federation of Kendor wrote:Can I reserve Indonesia?

We're going to put up an official reservation app today

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:21 am

Tracian Empire wrote:East Prussia and Silesia and Pomerania and all the rightful German clay are most likely already taken by a member of the OP board, but the rest sounds ok :p

If you are a part of the OP board, a review of my application would be appreciated.

Poland-Czechoslovakia, whatever it ends up being called, will probably be cordial with Scandinavia. We face pretty much the same threats.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:26 am

Plzen wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:East Prussia and Silesia and Pomerania and all the rightful German clay are most likely already taken by a member of the OP board, but the rest sounds ok :p

If you are a part of the OP board, a review of my application would be appreciated.

Poland-Czechoslovakia, whatever it ends up being called, will probably be cordial with Scandinavia. We face pretty much the same threats.

I would certainly be able to help you with that, but I'm currently on a trip, writing this on my phone.

Your app looks vaguely good, but I can't review it until I get back home.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse