NATION

PASSWORD

Where are the Reparations

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe Afro americans deserve reparations

Yes they have been wronged over the years and they deserve more than an apology
8%
No cause it will serve no purpose or do no right
83%
Other(Plz explain)
9%

Total votes : 214

Sumamba Buwhan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 12, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Sumamba Buwhan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:32 am

Jocabia wrote:
Sumamba Buwhan wrote:Would I blame entire groups of people? No, I would blame the individuals who voted for those laws. If I lived through that but then those laws were repealed and the populace and government had policies in place that attempted to right those wrongs in ways that allowed for greater opportunities in education and the workforce, I certainly wouldn't see why my grandchildren who never had to endure that would deserve cash and land.

People requesting reparations are blaming a government that was complicit in those actions. That's not blaming entire groups of people. It's condemning the guilty.

Now, I'd agree that the government does have poliicies in place to try to right those wrongs and should. I think that affirmative action is the solution. However, it cannot be ignored that asking a guilty party to take civil damage for their wrongful actions that were physically and financially harmful is totally reasonable.

If your cash and land were stolen from your family then any surviving members of your family deserve to compensated.

If there should be reparations for slavery, it should come from the estates of people who profited from slavery and any individuals who were in the government at the time that were complicit. I also said earlier that affirmative action is the type of thing that will truly do any good. A cash/land handout for something someones parent or grandparent went through is just not going to do much to truly help give them a leg up, as much and since they are taxpayers too they would be the ones paying reparations to themselves. Continuing to fight for equality is the best form of reparations IMO. In the case of Native Americans, there is still much more oppression going on which we should work hard to correct and yes, land and cash is deserving, I think. I hope the reasons are obvious because I have work to do and can't hang around to spell it out.
Last edited by Sumamba Buwhan on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
L
G
T
B
S
A
R
M
Y
**Proud Sponsor Of The Militant Gay Agenda**

Jocabia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:37 am

Sumamba Buwhan wrote:
Jocabia wrote:
Sumamba Buwhan wrote:Would I blame entire groups of people? No, I would blame the individuals who voted for those laws. If I lived through that but then those laws were repealed and the populace and government had policies in place that attempted to right those wrongs in ways that allowed for greater opportunities in education and the workforce, I certainly wouldn't see why my grandchildren who never had to endure that would deserve cash and land.

People requesting reparations are blaming a government that was complicit in those actions. That's not blaming entire groups of people. It's condemning the guilty.

Now, I'd agree that the government does have poliicies in place to try to right those wrongs and should. I think that affirmative action is the solution. However, it cannot be ignored that asking a guilty party to take civil damage for their wrongful actions that were physically and financially harmful is totally reasonable.

If your cash and land were stolen from your family then any surviving members of your family deserve to compensated.

If there should be reparations for slavery, it should come from the estates of people who profited from slavery and any individuals who were in the government at the time that were complicit. I also said earlier that affirmative action is the type of thing that will truly do any good. A cash/land handout for something someones parent or grandparent went through is just not going to do anything. Continuing to fight for equality is the best form of reparations IMO. In the case of Native Americans, there is still much more oppression going on which we should work hard to correct and yes, land and cash is deserving, I think. I hope the reasons are obvious because I have work to do and can't hang around to spell it out.

Again, as has been pointed out, this is not just about slavery. Long after slavery was abolished, the government took actions to support and protect people who murdered black people and stole their land and money. The "individual" who profitted from that behavior was the entire US government in GDP, in trade, in support for their policies, etc. The government can be guilty and was. When the government incurs a debt it is obligated to pay it. The government committed murder, theft and slavery. It is not punishing the current generation to tax them when the government owes no matter how many times it is repeated.

The government's actions don't suddenly go away because the individuals who were in government at that time die. Your own point about Native Americans belie the fact that not even you believe that.
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Sumamba Buwhan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 12, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Sumamba Buwhan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:22 pm

Jocabia wrote:
Sumamba Buwhan wrote:
Jocabia wrote:

If there should be reparations for slavery, it should come from the estates of people who profited from slavery and any individuals who were in the government at the time that were complicit. I also said earlier that affirmative action is the type of thing that will truly do any good. A cash/land handout for something someones parent or grandparent went through is just not going to do anything. Continuing to fight for equality is the best form of reparations IMO. In the case of Native Americans, there is still much more oppression going on which we should work hard to correct and yes, land and cash is deserving, I think. I hope the reasons are obvious because I have work to do and can't hang around to spell it out.

Again, as has been pointed out, this is not just about slavery. Long after slavery was abolished, the government took actions to support and protect people who murdered black people and stole their land and money. The "individual" who profitted from that behavior was the entire US government in GDP, in trade, in support for their policies, etc. The government can be guilty and was. When the government incurs a debt it is obligated to pay it. The government committed murder, theft and slavery. It is not punishing the current generation to tax them when the government owes no matter how many times it is repeated.

The government's actions don't suddenly go away because the individuals who were in government at that time die. Your own point about Native Americans belie the fact that not even you believe that.

The government has made up for it, though, and continues to in the ways that I described on the last page. The government and taxpayers today should not be punished for something they had no part in. The government of today is currently complicit in the oppression of Native Americans. Problems that may be addressed now that Obama has an injun czar.
L
G
T
B
S
A
R
M
Y
**Proud Sponsor Of The Militant Gay Agenda**

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:52 pm

Jocabia wrote:

Affirmative action (aka the 'new' racism) and welfare have more than compensated for the 'wrongs'.

Not our fault many African-Americans cannot be bothered to work hard in school and get into university. This 'racism' doesn't seem to have stopped Asian-Americans who are significantly overrepresented in universities. So if it isn't racism that prevents Afro-Americans of getting to university, it must be some other reason. And glorification of 'ghetto culture' ('don't do what the white man does' and 'working hard in school is for suckahs') might well be a partial explanation. Bill Cosby agrees with me (or rather, I with him).
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Surote
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Surote » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:59 pm

F1-Insanity wrote:
Jocabia wrote:

Affirmative action (aka the 'new' racism) and welfare have more than compensated for the 'wrongs'.

Not our fault many African-Americans cannot be bothered to work hard in school and get into university. This 'racism' doesn't seem to have stopped Asian-Americans who are significantly overrepresented in universities. So if it isn't racism that prevents Afro-Americans of getting to university, it must be some other reason. And glorification of 'ghetto culture' ('don't do what the white man does' and 'working hard in school is for suckahs') might well be a partial explanation. Bill Cosby agrees with me (or rather, I with him).

Affirmative action is great and white people are on welfare too(actually more whites then blacks mostly the fat white chicks with 5 kids)back to affirmative action most businesses are ran and owned by old white people now do you believe old white people after seeing what they saw would want to hire a young black man or an ol white man(like him self) you have to see what the blacks see before you can speak on our issues.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:12 pm

Surote wrote:
F1-Insanity wrote:
Jocabia wrote:

Affirmative action is great and white people are on welfare too(actually more whites then blacks mostly the fat white chicks with 5 kids)back to affirmative action most businesses are ran and owned by old white people now do you believe old white people after seeing what they saw would want to hire a young black man or an ol white man(like him self) you have to see what the blacks see before you can speak on our issues.

I already see it, and I called it like I see it.

And :rofl: :rofl: @ the old white people bullcrap.
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:04 am

F1-Insanity wrote:Affirmative action (aka the 'new' racism) and welfare have more than compensated for the 'wrongs'.

If this was the case then blacks would be proportionately represented in the middle class, upper middle class, and upper class.

Not our fault many African-Americans cannot be bothered to work hard in school and get into university.

Given the poor state of schools for many blacks, is this really surprising? How could they get into university when their schools are underfunded and underresourced?

This 'racism' doesn't seem to have stopped Asian-Americans who are significantly overrepresented in universities.

Right. Because if you don't hate Asians, you can't be racist.

Zandan
Envoy

Founded: Jul 08, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Zandan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:57 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:If this was the case then blacks would be proportionately represented in the middle class, upper middle class, and upper class.

Could you please provide a reference that says they aren't?

Given the poor state of schools for many blacks, is this really surprising? How could they get into university when their schools are underfunded and underresourced?

I went to elementary, middle, and high schools that were about 70% Afro-American, I'm doing just fine in college right now.

Surote
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Surote » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:03 pm

Zandan wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:If this was the case then blacks would be proportionately represented in the middle class, upper middle class, and upper class.

I went to elementary, middle, and high schools that were about 70% Afro-American, I'm doing just fine in college right now.

Try going to inner city schools they don't even care about the children there.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:06 pm

Surote wrote:
Zandan wrote:

Got proof? (Hey, you make the claim, you gotta back it up.)

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:13 pm

Surote wrote:
Zandan wrote:

Proof? Have you ever went to a inner city school?

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:26 pm

Surote wrote:
Zandan wrote:

Depends on what part of the country you are in...Down here inner city schools are the only schools they do give a damn about, get outside the city and the County just doesnt have the funding to go around...

For example, the Coastal Counties in MS have much better funding and much better performance than the more rural Delta, which in turn drags us down in the education rankings...

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:57 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Surote wrote:
Zandan wrote:

Depends on what part of the country you are in...Down here inner city schools are the only schools they do give a damn about, get outside the city and the County just doesnt have the funding to go around...

For example, the Coastal Counties in MS have much better funding and much better performance than the more rural Delta, which in turn drags us down in the education rankings...

In some areas, the inner city school are more funded then suburban schools.

Soyut
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Soyut » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:39 pm

Zeppy wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Surote wrote:
Zandan wrote:

In some areas, the inner city school are more funded then suburban schools.

funding is irrelevant. Every year the schools get more money. Every year the graduation rates stay flat, the test scores actually go down. European schools that outperform American schools typically have much less funding.
Last edited by Soyut on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surote
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Surote » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Zeppy wrote:
Surote wrote:
Zandan wrote:

Yes my 6th grade year I went to a school in brooklyn center, MN

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:00 pm

Zandan wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_ ... tates#Race

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:11 pm

Surote wrote:
Zeppy wrote:
Surote wrote:
Zandan wrote:

Brooklyn Center, Minnesota? Thats a inner city? It's a suburb.

Zandan
Envoy

Postby Zandan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:14 pm

Surote wrote:
Zeppy wrote:
Surote wrote:
Zandan wrote:

All my schools were inner city schools. Except for my senior year in high school when I moved to New Mexico and went to a school in a more rural place. I might want to add that New Mexico has the lowest rating in education in the U.S. All of the schools I have gone to have been dominated by minorities. It isn't racism that keeps them from getting to higher education, it's themselves.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:52 pm

Surote wrote:Yes my 6th grade year I went to a school in brooklyn center, MN

:rofl:
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:56 pm

Zandan wrote: I might want to add that New Mexico has the lowest rating in education in the U.S.

Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas beg to differ my friend, ;)

Thethunderdome
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Thethunderdome » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:58 pm

Zandan wrote:
Surote wrote:
Zeppy wrote:
Surote wrote:
Zandan wrote:

All my schools were inner city schools. Except for my senior year in high school when I moved to New Mexico and went to a school in a more rural place. I might want to add that New Mexico has the lowest rating in education in the U.S. All of the schools I have gone to have been dominated by minorities. It isn't racism that keeps them from getting to higher education, it's themselves.

I have to agree with this. The kids that try succeed, the ones that don't don't. At least in high school/middle school.
Save a life- Donate blood!

Surote
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Surote » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:34 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

What's with the laughter

Surote
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Surote » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:36 pm

Zeppy wrote:
Surote wrote:
Zeppy wrote:
Surote wrote:
Zandan wrote:

Brooklyn Center, Minnesota? Thats a inner city? It's a suburb.

No man That school is super close to minneapolis like on the border go check it out it's named odyssey charter school.
Last edited by Surote on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:38 pm

Surote wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:

What's with the laughter

See Zeppy's response...
Also:
Population (2007)[1][2]
- City 27,488
Not much of a city...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Zandan
Envoy

Postby Zandan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:38 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Zandan wrote: I might want to add that New Mexico has the lowest rating in education in the U.S.

Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas beg to differ my friend, ;)

It was 50th for a while...I thought Louisiana moved up in the ratings?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General