NATION

PASSWORD

Officer 'threatened' by naked man... shoots to kill.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:32 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Forsher wrote:
You have a choice between two options. No matter the pressure aiming at one or the other of them is easier. Neither may be easy but one will be easier than the other. That's what we're talking about when we are using easy. It's relative.

Again, I'll use the water analogy. Drinking water can be fatal... doesn't mean one doesn't do it.

Give it up, you're just making yourself look even more ridiculous.

I disagree. Especially given that:
  • I've made no false claims, whatever you have to say... successfully shooting an individual in the knees (or even just one) will stop movement (crawling is available, mind and rolling too) more successfully than peppering a torso with bullets in the situation discussed... it just isn't likely to happen. And obviosuly that means it is useful but not practical.
  • I haven't assumed that one thing is being discussed when, as a point of fact, it demonstratably isn't.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:40 am

Forsher wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Give it up, you're just making yourself look even more ridiculous.

• I've made no false claims, whatever you have to say... successfully shooting an individual in the knees (or even just one) will stop movement (crawling is available, mind and rolling too) more successfully than peppering a torso with bullets in the situation discussed... it just isn't likely to happen. And obviosuly that means it is useful but not practical.
  • I haven't assumed that one thing is being discussed when, as a point of fact, it demonstratably isn't.

You being too ignorant to realize your claims are false is not the same thing as not making a false claim.
You've been claiming that shooting someone in the knee is a reasonable course of action. It isn't.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:28 am

Forsher wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:You've never had to really fire at anything under pressure have you? There's really nothing easy about it, not in the least.

Plus you can still kill somebody by shooting them in the knee. Catch them at the right angle and you open up the femoral artery. That's death in a matter of a few minutes due to exsanguination.

You have a choice between two options. No matter the pressure aiming at one or the other of them is easier. Neither may be easy but one will be easier than the other. That's what we're talking about when we are using easy. It's relative.

Again, I'll use the water analogy. Drinking water can be fatal... doesn't mean one doesn't do it.
What? Where does this apples to hand grenades comparison come from exactly?

I fail to see how shooting somebody in the knee is in any way viable when somebody loaded on a psychoactive drug is charging you for any medical or tactical reason whatsoever. If you're trying to make the point that aiming at center mass is "easier" because it's the bigger target then yes, generally people's knees are smaller than their torsos.

But again the whole act of drawing a firearm, taking steady aim, and pulling the trigger in a cotrolled manner isn't as easy to do as you apparently believe it is. See unlike COD-land everything from the weight of the firearm in question to environmental conditions to mental state can screw with that process in a variety of ways.

So is that your argument in its entirety? That knees are smaller than torsos?
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:42 am

I would hope that the police officer in question has one hell of an excuse, because CQC would have been my first resort, not retreating.

Naked man versus clothed cop, this isn't rocket surgery. Do you see what I did there?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:I would hope that the police officer in question has one hell of an excuse, because CQC would have been my first resort, not retreating.

Naked man versus clothed cop, this isn't rocket surgery. Do you see what I did there?

Engaging in CQC when you're carrying a loaded firearm is moronic. All you're doing is providing the other person with an opportunity to take your weapon.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:55 am

Dyakovo wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I would hope that the police officer in question has one hell of an excuse, because CQC would have been my first resort, not retreating.

Engaging in CQC when you're carrying a loaded firearm is moronic. All you're doing is providing the other person with an opportunity to take your weapon.

If your holster sucks, sure.

Control their hands, and you control them. A police officer should have received at least the training I did, and even I learned how to cuff someone who reaches for me.

If they are cuffed, the threat is reduced. If they persist, I would assume the officer has a foot, we already know the perp has a junk seeing as that was the weapon threatening the officer, boot meet junk, pop goes the weasel.

Hell, I'm pro-gun rights and even I think it is moronic to defend someone who shoots first and thinks second.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:58 am

As Dya mentioned, whipping out a gun when you're that close is pretty much asking to have it wrenched from you and having a thigh drilled by your own weapon...
Which all of this is irrelevant because as of yet there isn't really a clear if the authorites in question really didn't have access to batons, pepper spray or tasers or they ignored their force continuum entirely and just shot Gil Collar out of...whatever, who knows.
You made a phrase understandable to dumb southern officers?
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here

Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:06 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Engaging in CQC when you're carrying a loaded firearm is moronic. All you're doing is providing the other person with an opportunity to take your weapon.

Control their hands, and you control them. A police officer should have received at least the training I did, and even I learned how to cuff someone who reaches for me.

If they are cuffed, the threat is reduced. If they persist, I would assume the officer has a foot, we already know the perp has a junk seeing as that was the weapon threatening the officer, boot meet junk, pop goes the weasel.

Hell, I'm pro-gun rights and even I think it is moronic to defend someone who shoots first and thinks second.

Good thing that's not what happened here then...
Married to Koshka

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:11 am

Northern Dominus wrote:

As Dya mentioned, whipping out a gun when you're that close is pretty much asking to have it wrenched from you and having a thigh drilled by your own weapon...
Which all of this is irrelevant because as of yet there isn't really a clear if the authorites in question really didn't have access to batons, pepper spray or tasers or they ignored their force continuum entirely and just shot Gil Collar out of...whatever, who knows.

Indeed. It's quite possible the this officer did have other reasonable options available to him... If he did then he was not justified in shooting.
The information currently available doesn't indicate that this the case though...
Married to Koshka

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:40 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:As Dya mentioned, whipping out a gun when you're that close is pretty much asking to have it wrenched from you and having a thigh drilled by your own weapon...

Indeed. It's quite possible the this officer did have other reasonable options available to him... If he did then he was not justified in shooting.
The information currently available doesn't indicate that this the case though...
Well the campus police claim that the particular officer didn't have any sort of less-lethal device on him.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/1 ... 54295.html

Which is kind of dubious considering the student went to Campus PD headquarters...but I digress, there is no clear chain of events or evidence beyond speculation so there's no point in speculating before any evidence is presented either way.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:44 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Engaging in CQC when you're carrying a loaded firearm is moronic. All you're doing is providing the other person with an opportunity to take your weapon.

The entire reason not to engage in CQC is to eliminate that risk. The man supposedly seemed deranged and enraged. Why would the officer needlessly risk his, and possibly other lives?

The officer didn't shoot first and engage second, as far as I can tell. He tried to back away from the man to calm the situation down, and the man kept charging him.
password scrambled

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:56 pm

20 years ago, that could have easily been me. And I wouldn't even have been on drugs. :(
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Tim Allen did write a book titled "Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man".

But seriously, WTH? Since when did a naked man constitute an armed threat? Um, don't answer that.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:04 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Your being too ignorant to realize your claims are false is not the same thing as not making a false claim.
You've been claiming that shooting someone in the knee is a reasonable course of action. It isn't.

I have been claiming that shooting someone in the knee would be a successful means of impeding motion when body shots have clearly not been. This is different to "a reasonable course of action" which is your summary of my claim which suggests that I am saying that aiming for the knees would be a practical decision... that is to say, likely to hit the target.

What I have seen in this thread in the responses to my posts is a failure to separate "taking out the knees" and "take out the knees". The former is a statement that answers, "What would impede motion significantly regardless of drugs and be unlikely to be fatal?" This, one must remember, is what I have been saying. In contrast, the latter answers the question, "What should I do in a pressure situation to impede the motion of an individual?" This is what responders have been presenting my position as. This is why a large part of the last couple of pages of this thread have consisted of my agreeing with statements to the effect that shooting the knees would be impractical. The practicality of the action is an appropriate criticism of the latter but not the former statements. An appropriate but incorrect line of attack of my claim is that "taking out the knees" would not impede the movement of an individual.

Northern Dominus wrote:
Forsher wrote:

What? Where does this apples to hand grenades comparison come from exactly?

I fail to see how shooting somebody in the knee is in any way viable when somebody loaded on a psychoactive drug is charging you for any medical or tactical reason whatsoever. If you're trying to make the point that aiming at center mass is "easier" because it's the bigger target then yes, generally people's knees are smaller than their torsos.

But again the whole act of drawing a firearm, taking steady aim, and pulling the trigger in a cotrolled manner isn't as easy to do as you apparently believe it is. See unlike COD-land everything from the weight of the firearm in question to environmental conditions to mental state can screw with that process in a variety of ways.

I assume that you are referring to the "water analogy". Basically it is pointing out that whether or not something can be fatal is not such an important question as how likely it is to be fatal. While it does not speak in relative terms, it really should because we're, here, largely comparing knee wounds to chest/torso wounds.

Taking "viable" as meaning essentially the same thing as "practica" I haven't been claiming that. Mind you I have often been forced to prove (to no avail I might add as it's completely ignored by responders) that I have been saying that it isn't practical, merely something that would work.

Now, I maintain that shooting the knees would impede the motion of an individual regardless of whatsort of drugs they're on.

Please explain, and you won't succeed*, where exactly I said that one is likely to be successful when aiming at the knees. And by successful I mean the bullet hits the target aimed at.

*There's a possibility that this is what is conveyed at one point where I was sort of tongue tied after repeatedly having to repeat that it is impractical, prove that I had been saying that it was impractical and clarify what I meant by ease and use. Actually, the use of use may be the issue as I have a wide experience of NSG selectively reading, in this case ignoring that ease and use are being presented as different things (albeit not mutually exclusive).

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:26 am

Forsher wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Your being too ignorant to realize your claims are false is not the same thing as not making a false claim.

I have been claiming that shooting someone in the knee would be a successful means of impeding motion when body shots have clearly not been. This is different to "a reasonable course of action" which is your summary of my claim which suggests that I am saying that aiming for the knees would be a practical decision... that is to say, likely to hit the target.

What I have seen in this thread in the responses to my posts is a failure to separate "taking out the knees" and "take out the knees". The former is a statement that answers, "What would impede motion significantly regardless of drugs and be unlikely to be fatal?" This, one must remember, is what I have been saying. In contrast, the latter answers the question, "What should I do in a pressure situation to impede the motion of an individual?" This is what responders have been presenting my position as. This is why a large part of the last couple of pages of this thread have consisted of my agreeing with statements to the effect that shooting the knees would be impractical. The practicality of the action is an appropriate criticism of the latter but not the former statements. An appropriate but incorrect line of attack of my claim is that "taking out the knees" would not impede the movement of an individual.

Northern Dominus wrote:What? Where does this apples to hand grenades comparison come from exactly?

I assume that you are referring to the "water analogy". Basically it is pointing out that whether or not something can be fatal is not such an important question as how likely it is to be fatal. While it does not speak in relative terms, it really should because we're, here, largely comparing knee wounds to chest/torso wounds.

Taking "viable" as meaning essentially the same thing as "practica" I haven't been claiming that. Mind you I have often been forced to prove (to no avail I might add as it's completely ignored by responders) that I have been saying that it isn't practical, merely something that would work.

Now, I maintain that shooting the knees would impede the motion of an individual regardless of whatsort of drugs they're on.

Please explain, and you won't succeed*, where exactly I said that one is likely to be successful when aiming at the knees. And by successful I mean the bullet hits the target aimed at.

*There's a possibility that this is what is conveyed at one point where I was sort of tongue tied after repeatedly having to repeat that it is impractical, prove that I had been saying that it was impractical and clarify what I meant by ease and use. Actually, the use of use may be the issue as I have a wide experience of NSG selectively reading, in this case ignoring that ease and use are being presented as different things (albeit not mutually exclusive).

Shooting someone in the knee would only be a successful means of impeding motion if you manage to hit, which isn't going to happen except through dumb luck. Real life isn't the movies or videogames as you seem to believe.
Married to Koshka

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:41 am

JuNii wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/friends-baffled-killing-ala-college-student-145154839.html

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — Classmates and friends are questioning why a police officer fatally shot a University of South Alabama freshman who was naked and had been banging on a window at police headquarters.

Campus officials didn't give any indication that Gil Collar, 18, of Wetumpka had a weapon when he was shot. A university spokesman said he was fatally wounded about 1:30 a.m. Saturday after an officer heard a bang on a window and went outside to investigate.

A statement issued by university spokesman Keith Ayers said Collar, who wrestled at Wetumpka High School before enrolling at South Alabama, assumed a "fighting stance" and chased an officer before being shot. The officer tried to retreat numerous times to defuse the situation before opening fire, the school said.

But sophomore Tyler Kendrick said campus authorities haven't provided any satisfying answers about why Collar was killed.

"Really, it just upsets me that there's no other way to apprehend an unarmed student rather than shooting him. I don't understand that," Kendrick said.

Student Joshua Frye said it seemed the officer could have used something other than a firearm to stop Collar.

"What I feel is that a cop has more than a gun," he said.

The officer was placed on paid leave, and an autopsy will determine if drugs or alcohol were involved.

Campus officials said the confrontation was recorded by security cameras. The video and other information has been turned over to the district attorney and the Mobile County Sheriff's Office, which will review the shooting.

Colgan Meanor went to high school with Collar and then enrolled at the same college.

"He was a great, loving guy who always made people smile," she said. "He's not the kind of guy that people knew him and said he would do something like this."

Collar was the second person killed on the South Alabama campus since last year.

A university freshman was charged with murder in the fatal stabbing of another teenager who was slain in an on-campus apartment in July 2011. The victim was a visitor to campus and was not enrolled, authorities said.

Ayers said South Alabama, located near downtown Mobile, was still "a very safe campus," despite Collar's death.

... so a police officer went to investigate a naked man pounding on the window at Police station, assumed a 'fighting stance' and apparently chased the officer a bit before being shot...

yeah... I think either drugs or alcohol was involved somewhere... but do you think this was a justified shooting?

for me, with the amount of information given... I would have to say yes... but that depends on what else an investigation turns up.

Guy is a wrestler, so he is likely 250 pounds of muscle so I would say yes.

Sadly protest had forced the officers of this town to stop carrying tasers.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:26 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Shooting someone in the knee would only be a successful means of impeding motion if you manage to hit, which isn't going to happen except through dumb luck. Real life isn't the movies or videogames as you seem to believe.

Then why is the tone of this series disagreement? You agree that the action if successful would work and I have been at pains to point out that I am not suggesting that one tries this.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General