NATION

PASSWORD

 [BUG]

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
User avatar
The Banana Moon
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1088
Founded: Apr 01, 2025
Iron Fist Consumerists

 [BUG]

Postby The Banana Moon » Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:18 pm

randomly I keep seeing posts with  in them?

didn't happen a few weeks ago and I have confirmed other people are seeing this too

can't get a screenshot rn but if I find one i'll post it here

edit: seems to happen whenever someone says
’
Last edited by The Banana Moon on Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ALL HAIL THE BANANA MOON
My nation does not represent my IRL views
stats are not canon

User avatar
The Banana Moon
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1088
Founded: Apr 01, 2025
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Banana Moon » Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:19 pm

Image
ALL HAIL THE BANANA MOON
My nation does not represent my IRL views
stats are not canon

User avatar
Natkr
Minister
 
Posts: 2876
Founded: Sep 01, 2024
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Natkr » Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:24 pm

i can confirm from my end too
shoot

User avatar
New Gandinia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1322
Founded: Feb 03, 2025
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby New Gandinia » Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:26 pm

Out of all the examples

But yeah i see it too
Use code pear in da Fortnite item shop
Timoria
Jarona
Playing Deltarune
TGS OPEN
Please talk to me about my interests
I AM AUTISTIC PLEASE BE PATIENT

User avatar
DutchFormosa
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6256
Founded: Feb 11, 2023
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DutchFormosa » Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:27 pm

I saw it a couple times as well, though it went away soon after
Last edited by DutchFormosa on Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC wiki
OOC info
============

User avatar
New Gandinia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1322
Founded: Feb 03, 2025
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby New Gandinia » Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:28 pm

Ig it’s a Timoria thing
Use code pear in da Fortnite item shop
Timoria
Jarona
Playing Deltarune
TGS OPEN
Please talk to me about my interests
I AM AUTISTIC PLEASE BE PATIENT

User avatar
[violet]
Executive Director
 
Posts: 17188
Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Thu Aug 20, 2026 9:59 pm

Link to examples? The screenie from post #2 in this thread seems to be this, but it looks fine to me.

That RMB is full of examples of people trying to trigger the bug, including deliberately posting Â, so it's hard to know what's intentional and what's not.

User avatar
Merethin
WA Secretariat
 
Posts: 1214
Founded: Dec 18, 2023
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Merethin » Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:21 pm

This looks like an encoding error. The character used, ’, is a "right single quotation mark", or U+2019. In the Windows-1252 encoding, this corresponds to the single byte 0x92. 0x92, when encoded as UTF-8, results in the two-byte sequence 0xC2 0x92. Which, when read back as Windows-1252, is "Â’".

NationStates pages are served with a <meta charset="iso-8859-1"> tag (browsers interpret this as Windows-1252 for compatibility reasons, even though Windows-1252 is an extension of ISO-8859-1). If, for some reason, the page content, already being in the Windows-1252 format, was encoded as UTF-8 on top of that, the browser would read it back as Windows-1252, which explains the weird character error. I assume this is why it doesn't always show up. I'm not sure when this is the case though, I thought the difference might be between region=X and page=display_region_rmb/region=X, but it seems fine when I test it. Maybe this can also be a client difference, I'm not sure.
Last edited by Merethin on Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
◆ The Realm Past the Horizon of Merethin ◆
Fleetmaster of the Galactic Armada of Starlight & Horizon
@iris.dreamer · she/her
Libcord Update Command

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs (x2) of Starlight & Horizon (6th and 7th Cabinet)
Former Aetherion (x2) of Starlight & Horizon (4th and 5th Cabinet)
Former Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Starlight & Horizon (3rd Cabinet)

Rising Star Award (2025 Collection Awards)
Eluvatar Award (2025 Defender Awards)
Up and Coming Defender (2025 Gameplay Awards)
Power20 Bronze (April 2026)
LGA#833 (co), LGA#843, LGA#844, LGA#852 (co), GA#7 (co), GA#10 (co)

User avatar
Natkr
Minister
 
Posts: 2876
Founded: Sep 01, 2024
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Natkr » Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:27 pm

Here’s the only screenshot I could find, although I could see more earlier today on my computer:

Image


Edit: Another one

Image
Last edited by Natkr on Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoot

User avatar
Might Delete Later
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6725
Founded: Apr 05, 2025
Anarchy

Postby Might Delete Later » Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:31 pm

I did it intentionally, but interesting when I jumped to it from another post it included a comma and a à marking iirc before the Â, which is strange, because if I just went in the RMB and checked it was the normal message I deliberately typed with the Â.

User avatar
Merethin
WA Secretariat
 
Posts: 1214
Founded: Dec 18, 2023
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Merethin » Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:45 pm

Same thing as above. Â is 0xC2, in UTF-8 the first byte of the two-byte sequence when you encode bytes 0x80-0xBF. Ã is 0xC3, first byte for 0xC0-0xFF.

"’" purposefully typed in Windows-1252 is 0xC3 0x82 0xC2 0x92 in UTF-8, which reads back as "’" in Windows-1252. Again not sure what's causing it to be encoded as UTF-8 for certain users or in certain situations, though.
◆ The Realm Past the Horizon of Merethin ◆
Fleetmaster of the Galactic Armada of Starlight & Horizon
@iris.dreamer · she/her
Libcord Update Command

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs (x2) of Starlight & Horizon (6th and 7th Cabinet)
Former Aetherion (x2) of Starlight & Horizon (4th and 5th Cabinet)
Former Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Starlight & Horizon (3rd Cabinet)

Rising Star Award (2025 Collection Awards)
Eluvatar Award (2025 Defender Awards)
Up and Coming Defender (2025 Gameplay Awards)
Power20 Bronze (April 2026)
LGA#833 (co), LGA#843, LGA#844, LGA#852 (co), GA#7 (co), GA#10 (co)

User avatar
The Banana Moon
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1088
Founded: Apr 01, 2025
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Banana Moon » Fri Aug 21, 2026 3:40 pm

[violet] wrote:Link to examples? The screenie from post #2 in this thread seems to be this, but it looks fine to me.

That RMB is full of examples of people trying to trigger the bug, including deliberately posting Â, so it's hard to know what's intentional and what's not.

I believe it is only happening to certain users but not all, also weirdly it will show the Â, however after about 15ish seconds the  gets removed without me even having to refresh the page

I could show a video of it perhaps?

edit: the milisecond I say that I'm gonna take a video of it it fixes itself, dammit
Merethin wrote:This looks like an encoding error. The character used, ’, is a "right single quotation mark", or U+2019. In the Windows-1252 encoding, this corresponds to the single byte 0x92. 0x92, when encoded as UTF-8, results in the two-byte sequence 0xC2 0x92. Which, when read back as Windows-1252, is "Â’".

NationStates pages are served with a <meta charset="iso-8859-1"> tag (browsers interpret this as Windows-1252 for compatibility reasons, even though Windows-1252 is an extension of ISO-8859-1). If, for some reason, the page content, already being in the Windows-1252 format, was encoded as UTF-8 on top of that, the browser would read it back as Windows-1252, which explains the weird character error. I assume this is why it doesn't always show up. I'm not sure when this is the case though, I thought the difference might be between region=X and page=display_region_rmb/region=X, but it seems fine when I test it. Maybe this can also be a client difference, I'm not sure.
this seems to be the reason, my only question is why it is happening now, when it didn't happen before?
Last edited by The Banana Moon on Fri Aug 21, 2026 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALL HAIL THE BANANA MOON
My nation does not represent my IRL views
stats are not canon

User avatar
The Banana Moon
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1088
Founded: Apr 01, 2025
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Banana Moon » Fri Aug 21, 2026 5:42 pm

[violet] wrote:Link to examples? The screenie from post #2 in this thread seems to be this, but it looks fine to me.

That RMB is full of examples of people trying to trigger the bug, including deliberately posting Â, so it's hard to know what's intentional and what's not.

https://streamable.com/3ukqm2
ALL HAIL THE BANANA MOON
My nation does not represent my IRL views
stats are not canon

User avatar
Llan
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 196
Founded: Nov 06, 2025
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Llan » Fri Aug 21, 2026 5:53 pm

It happened I think in TNP. Must be an HTML formatting error. You can quote me on that, I am looking at the page elements.
Last edited by Llan on Fri Aug 21, 2026 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Governor of Bananalandia Supreme, enemy of the Greater World coexistence Sphere.
Windows 7 ultimate is the best.

If you can read this, you don’t need glasses

User avatar
[violet]
Executive Director
 
Posts: 17188
Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Fri Aug 21, 2026 8:28 pm

The Banana Moon wrote:https://streamable.com/3ukqm2

This is super helpful, thanks. Which browser / version were you using?

User avatar
The Banana Moon
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1088
Founded: Apr 01, 2025
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Banana Moon » Sat Aug 22, 2026 7:34 am

[violet] wrote:
The Banana Moon wrote:https://streamable.com/3ukqm2

This is super helpful, thanks. Which browser / version were you using?

chrome on macOS
ALL HAIL THE BANANA MOON
My nation does not represent my IRL views
stats are not canon

User avatar
[violet]
Executive Director
 
Posts: 17188
Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Thu Sep 10, 2026 3:22 pm

Did this bug go away, or is it still happening?

User avatar
New Gandinia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1322
Founded: Feb 03, 2025
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby New Gandinia » Thu Sep 10, 2026 3:37 pm

[violet] wrote:Did this bug go away, or is it still happening?

I have a few instances of it saved on my phone, I’ll send in a minute
Use code pear in da Fortnite item shop
Timoria
Jarona
Playing Deltarune
TGS OPEN
Please talk to me about my interests
I AM AUTISTIC PLEASE BE PATIENT

User avatar
[violet]
Executive Director
 
Posts: 17188
Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Thu Sep 10, 2026 6:49 pm

Are they new? I'm wondering if it was a temporary CloudFlare barf or something I still need to look into.


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads