didn't happen a few weeks ago and I have confirmed other people are seeing this too
can't get a screenshot rn but if I find one i'll post it here
edit: seems to happen whenever someone says
’

by The Banana Moon » Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:18 pm
’

by The Banana Moon » Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:19 pm


by New Gandinia » Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:26 pm

by DutchFormosa » Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:27 pm

by New Gandinia » Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:28 pm

by [violet] » Thu Aug 20, 2026 9:59 pm

by Merethin » Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:21 pm

by Natkr » Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:27 pm



by Might Delete Later » Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:31 pm

by Merethin » Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:45 pm

by The Banana Moon » Fri Aug 21, 2026 3:40 pm
this seems to be the reason, my only question is why it is happening now, when it didn't happen before?Merethin wrote:This looks like an encoding error. The character used, ’, is a "right single quotation mark", or U+2019. In the Windows-1252 encoding, this corresponds to the single byte 0x92. 0x92, when encoded as UTF-8, results in the two-byte sequence 0xC2 0x92. Which, when read back as Windows-1252, is "Â’".
NationStates pages are served with a <meta charset="iso-8859-1"> tag (browsers interpret this as Windows-1252 for compatibility reasons, even though Windows-1252 is an extension of ISO-8859-1). If, for some reason, the page content, already being in the Windows-1252 format, was encoded as UTF-8 on top of that, the browser would read it back as Windows-1252, which explains the weird character error. I assume this is why it doesn't always show up. I'm not sure when this is the case though, I thought the difference might be between region=X and page=display_region_rmb/region=X, but it seems fine when I test it. Maybe this can also be a client difference, I'm not sure.

by The Banana Moon » Fri Aug 21, 2026 5:42 pm

by Llan » Fri Aug 21, 2026 5:53 pm

by The Banana Moon » Sat Aug 22, 2026 7:34 am

by New Gandinia » Thu Sep 10, 2026 3:37 pm
[violet] wrote:Did this bug go away, or is it still happening?
Advertisement
Users browsing this forum: K16
Advertisement